PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Will-Not-Happen Lions' Mock Draft (Pictures - Reasoning)

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Detroit Lions' Mock Offseason
Created by: TacticaLion

Intro

The moves/signings/picks made in this mock are done with the team's beliefs in mind and have some sort of reasoning or logic behind them.

Transactions

Signing: DET offers Jared Allen (KC) a 6 year, $60 million dollar contract. The Chiefs choose not match and receive DET's 2008 and 2009 1st round picks as compensation.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/jenleigh120402/Allen.jpg
(Detroit needs a stud pass-rusher to make the Cover 2 defense work. Allen, a 4 year pro, led the NFL with 15.5 sacks in 14 games for the Chiefs in 2007. Kansas City only applied the non-exclusive franchise tag to Allen, which allowed negotiation with other teams. If they wanted to retain Allen without risk, they would've applied the exclusive tag... which makes me think they'd take the picks, if offered. And, if they wanted to pay him this much, they would already have a contract. A win/win for both teams.

The price: 2 1st round picks seems a bit steep, but he's a young, proven defensive stud. How much would it cost to draft either Chris Long or Vernon Gholston this draft? A lot. I'd rather have a proven player.)

Trade: DET trades Roy Williams to MIA for their 2nd round pick (32).
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/jenleigh120402/RoyWilliams-2.jpg
(Miami needs to add WR talent and Detroit is looking to trade Roy. Getting a proven #1 WR with your 2nd round pick is a steal, and Detroit can use the pick to fill holes. Works for both teams.)

Resigned
RB TJ Duckett
RB Tatum Bell
CB Travis Fisher
DT Langston Moore
OG Stephen Peterman
QB Dan Orlovsky
OG/OT Damien Woody
WR Brandon Middleton
DE Corey Smith

Released/Waived
QB J.T. O'Sullivan
OT George Foster
TE Sean McHugh
TE Jon Owens
DE Kalimba Edwards
RB Brian Calhoun
RB Aveion Cason
WR Troy Walters
CB Keith Smith

(I can see the above taking place. The coaches love Fisher as the NB. The team is also content with their end-of-season offensive line, so expect them to try to retain Woody and Peterman. Corey Smith is a hard worker and adds depth.

Releasing O'Sullivan, McHugh, Calhoun and Cason shows that the team is moving away from the Martz Movement.)

Free Agents
CB Brian Kelly
OG/OT Todd Steussie
RB Mewelde Moore
TE Ben Troupe
WR D.J. Hackett

(The Lions aren't expected to do much in free agency, but Brian Kelly is a player they'd love to bring in. He's a veteran CB with a ton of experience in the Cover 2 and played with Marinelli in Tampa Bay. OG/OT Todd Steussie seems to fit the mold of a Millen free agent - old with only a few years left. He provides versatility and depth and has a lot of experience. The team will also look to sign a RB in free agency. Mewelde Moore seems to be a likely target - a solid back that can return kicks and punts. And, lastly, the team can use a solid pass catching TE. Troupe is a young player with potential. Hackett adds WR depth.)

2008 NFL Draft

(*** Pick 1.15 forfeited to Kansas City for Jared Allen ***)

2.1 - Brandon Flowers / CB / Virginia Tech
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/jenleigh120402/Flowers.jpg
(Ideal Cover 2 CB. Physical, experienced in zone coverage and willingly supports the run.)

Other picks: Patrick Lee, Antoine Cason, Charles Godfrey.

2.14 - Trevor Laws / DT / Notre Dame
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/jenleigh120402/Laws.jpg
(At 6-1 295 LBs, Laws is a perfect fit to replace Rogers. He's a strong, smart, hard working leader with a non-stop motor that can penetrate and tackle. A true "Marinelli-guy"... the type of player that Rod loves.)

3.14 - Tavares Gooden / MLB / Miami (FL)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/jenleigh120402/Gooden.jpg
(One of my favorite prospect in the draft, Gooden is quick and fast with great range and a non-stop motor. He's also a hard worker and is great in coverage. Gooden is listed as an OLB, but has experience in each LB position in college. Great fit as a Cover 2 MLB.)

4.8 (Fr SF) - Chevis Jackson / CB / LSU
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/jenleigh120402/Jackson.jpg
(Another ideal Cover 2 CB. Lacks elite speed but has great size, is physical, will support the run and is a hard worker. Will have time to develop behind Kelly, Flowers and Fisher.)

4.14 - Eddie Royal / WR / Virginia Tech
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/jenleigh120402/Royal.jpg
(Royal is a terrific athlete... very tough with great timed speed. He's a threat with the ball, but struggles with routes and lacks ideal size/strength. An excellent KR/PR.)

5.14 - Kirk Barton / OT / Ohio State
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/jenleigh120402/Barton.jpg
(The first OL pick is made in round 5... a draft in true Millen fashion. Barton is a hard working leader with a ton of experience. Can pass block and run block with effectiveness, but struggles in space and lacks athleticism. A "blue-collar overachiever"... makes up for what he lacks in physical tools with excellent intangibles. Adds depth.)

6.14 - Gary Guyton / OLB / Georgia Tech
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/jenleigh120402/Guyton.jpg
(Guyton is a big hitter with good range and solid intangibles. Lacks great speed and isn't a great tackler, but is excellent on special teams. Doesn't have a lot of tools but is a quality football player. Could eventually start at SLB.)

7.14 - Quintin Demps / S / U.T.E.P.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f67/jenleigh120402/Demps.jpg
(The final pick in the draft is used to add depth to the safety group. Demps is another "Marinelli-guy"... a hard working team leader with top intangibles. He lacks elite speed and struggles against the run but makes plays on the ball and is great in coverage. Also has terrific instincts, outstanding hands and excellent range and has a lot of special teams potential. Great fit as a Cover 2 safety.)

Depth Chart
[Key - Blue is acquired, Red is drafted.]

Offense:
QB: Jon Kitna / Drew Stanton / Dan Orlovsky
HB: Kevin Jones / T.J. Duckett / Tatum Bell / Mewelde Moore
FB: Jon Bradley / Casey Fitzsimmons
1WR: Calvin Johnson / Shaun McDonald / Brandon Middleton
2WR: Mike Furrey / D.J. Hackett / Eddie Royal
TE: Dan Campbell / Ben Troupe
LT: Jeff Backus / Jon Scott
LG: Edwin Mulitalo / Frank Davis
C: Dominic Raiola / Blaine Saipaia
RG: Stephen Peterman / Manny Ramirez
RT: Damien Woody / Todd Steussie

Defense:
DE - Jared Allen / Ikaika Alama-Francis / Corey Smith
NT - Shaun Rogers / Trevor Laws / Langston Moore
UT - Cory Redding / Shaun Cody / Langston Moore
DE - Dewayne White / Jared DeVries / Corey Smith
SLB - Paris Lenon / Alex Lewis / Anthony Cannon
MLB - Tavares Gooden / Paris Lenon
WLB - Ernie Sims / Buster Davis / Gary Guyton
NB - Travis Fisher
CB - Brian Kelly / Brandon Flowers / Chevis Jackson
FS - Gerald Alexander / Quintin Demps
SS - Daniel Bullocks / Kenoy Kennedy
CB - Fernando Bryant / Stanley Wilson / Chevis Jackson

Special Teams:
K - Jason Hanson
P - Nick Harris
KR - Eddie Royal / Mewelde Moore
PR - Eddie Royal / Mewelde Moore

Summary

A top-tier pass-rusher and three Cover 2 CBs were added to the roster without trading Kevin Jones. A combination of Mike Martz's offense and Jon Kitna's release are what caused the Lions give up sacks in 2007, but an increased dedication to the running game and shorter, simpler routes from the WRs will lower that number greatly in 2008. This OLine unit is great in run blocking and has solid depth.

Players that fit the defense were added, and character, work ethic and leadership were paramount during the draft process. This team was two wins away from making the playoffs in 2007. I feel these moves could push them over the top.

Thank you for taking the time to read my mock. It wont happen... but, if it did, I feel the team would be much improved. Let me know what you think.

Jagonsucker
02-23-2008, 11:18 PM
naa man i wouldnt get Jared Allan for 2 first round picks..are you crazy. Instead of trading Roy Williams send Sean Rogers away for a 2nd a 3rd. Other then that pretty good draft. And we will NOT resign Bell

JPLUFF
02-23-2008, 11:34 PM
God that's sooooo much money invested in the defensive line

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 11:35 PM
naa man i wouldnt get Jared Allan for 2 first round picks..are you crazy. Instead of trading Roy Williams send Sean Rogers away for a 2nd a 3rd. Other then that pretty good draft. And we will NOT resign BellBell:
However, several offensive coaches -- including new coordinator Jim Colletto -- like Bell's speed and running ability. The Lions have talked to Bell and say he's open to returning because Martz is gone.
About Allen: He's the best young DE in the game. Hes played 61 games (started 55) with a total of 43 sacks, and had 15.5 sacks in 14 games last year. Not worth 2 1st round picks?

Who would you rather have: Long (or Gholston) or Allen? If you said Long (or Gholston), you'd have to give up almost the same amount to move up that high. Our pick (15) is worth 1,050 points on the TVC. To move up to pick 5, we'd have to find another 650 points of value... or a late 1st round pick... to draft an unproven player. The defense needs a stud pass-rusher... and Allen is that (proven) player. 2 1st round picks is worth it.

I didn't want to trade Rogers for a few reasons. First, he's still dominant. Secondly, I'd rather draft his replacement and have them sub for each other than throw a rookie in from day 1. And, third, Roy is in his final year. If we decide to Tag Roy next offseason, KJ gets to leave. I'd rather trade Roy, get value, be able to retain KJ and have this DLine: White - Redding - Rogers - Allen.

Just my thoughts.

Flyboy
02-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Please trade Roy Williams to us instead.

kkthx

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Please trade Roy Williams to us instead.

kkthx

For pick 1.10? OK.

You couldn't be talking about pick 2.9, right? Why would I want to move down 8 spots for the same deal?

Flyboy
02-23-2008, 11:53 PM
You can have the 2nd & 3rd for all I care.

Not to mention I've read this too.

'The availability of wide receiver Roy Williams is also in hot debate with Jacksonville, Tennessee, Tampa Bay and New Orleans all interested. The Lions are looking for a second round pick and have told several clubs they would even consider a pick in next years' draft to get a deal done.'

TacticaLion
02-23-2008, 11:59 PM
You can have the 2nd & 3rd for all I care.

Not to mention I've read this too.Yeah... true. Best offer available wins him.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2008, 02:00 AM
I actually think this is really good. I think Demps will go long before the 7th round though. Like, the 3rd round.

TacticaLion
02-24-2008, 09:47 AM
I actually think this is really good. I think Demps will go long before the 7th round though. Like, the 3rd round.

Thanks... appreciate it.

Yeah. Scott had him as a Late Round/FA, which is where I took the info from. It's a 7th round pick, so, at this point, it wouldn't matter: he wont make the team.

Scotty D
02-24-2008, 12:35 PM
If you sign Allen for two first rounders, but are able to get Roy for a first rounder I would have liked this scenario a lot better.

Still yeah it looks like our board has locked in on a core group of tampa 2 fits for this team, and it looks good.

TacticaLion
02-24-2008, 02:56 PM
If you sign Allen for two first rounders, but are able to get Roy for a first rounder I would have liked this scenario a lot better.

Still yeah it looks like our board has locked in on a core group of tampa 2 fits for this team, and it looks good.Yeah... that's what I was thinking. It's easy to justify the Allen deal if we get another 1st rounder in the draft.

I figured a 2nd from Miami (1st in round 2) would suffice... and could still land us an ideal Cover 2 CB.

Appreciate it, Scotty.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Didn't Rogers play the NT in Marinelli's defense? Isn't Corey Redding the UT? If so, Laws is a classic UT, I can't see him replacing Rogers. If the Lions go DT they should find someone that is more apt to stop the run, unless they feel comfortable with Shaun Cody as their run-stuffer.

Scotty D
02-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Didn't Rogers play the NT in Marinelli's defense? Isn't Corey Redding the UT? If so, Laws is a classic UT, I can't see him replacing Rogers. If the Lions go DT they should find someone that is more apt to stop the run, unless they feel comfortable with Shaun Cody as their run-stuffer.

I asked toonster that when he started give us Laws in his mocks. He says that a Laws - Redding duo would work, but I don't know.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm assuming that he means that Redding will move to NT. Laws will not play UT unless he puts on about 20-30 pounds. The problem with that is that you're either taking Reddings pass-rush ability away, or you're asking Laws to be something that he's really not.

The Tampa 2 works best, in my opinion, when you've got a big run-stuffer like Anthony McFarland at the NT. Rogers is perfect for that, but simply doesn't have the motor or the motivation.

I think someone like Dre Moore would make more sense in the 2nd, assuming he's available.

TacticaLion
02-24-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm assuming that he means that Redding will move to NT. Laws will not play UT unless he puts on about 20-30 pounds. The problem with that is that you're either taking Reddings pass-rush ability away, or you're asking Laws to be something that he's really not.

The Tampa 2 works best, in my opinion, when you've got a big run-stuffer like Anthony McFarland at the NT. Rogers is perfect for that, but simply doesn't have the motor or the motivation.

I think someone like Dre Moore would make more sense in the 2nd, assuming he's available.I was thinking about Dre Moore (6-4, 311), but a few of his flaws are his work ethic and motor... two reasons why we're looking to replace Rogers.

Redding is 6-4, 295 and Laws is listed at 6-1, 295. Sapp, a prototypical NT, is listed at 6-2, 300. I think a defensive line with two solid, strong, pass-rushing DTs could work... as long as it also has two great pass-rushing DEs and a solid LB group.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Sapp as in Warren Sapp?

Sapp played UT, not NT.

In the Tampa 2 your UT is your penetrating sack guy. The NT is the run clogger (though the Bears usually want him to get sacks as well). Examples would be Booger McFarland or Tank Johnson. Neither are big guys, so you can get by with a 300 pounder, he just needs to be stout.

Laws would be alright, I just think Moore is better suited for the NT position.

Bootland27
02-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Sapp as in Warren Sapp?

Sapp played UT, not NT.

In the Tampa 2 your UT is your penetrating sack guy. The NT is the run clogger (though the Bears usually want him to get sacks as well). Examples would be Booger McFarland or Tank Johnson. Neither are big guys, so you can get by with a 300 pounder, he just needs to be stout.

What about Frank Okam @ 6'5 320?

neko4
02-24-2008, 07:55 PM
if yall could actually do this i would be scared. How much cap space do the Lions have?

bearsfan_51
02-24-2008, 08:27 PM
What about Frank Okam @ 6'5 320?
It's a thought. The problem with Okam is that his stock is so low that no team is going to draft him as a starter.

On that note, whatever happened to Shaun Cody? I liked him as a prospect way back in the day. Could he not get the job done in the run stuffing department?

TacticaLion
02-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Sapp as in Warren Sapp?

Sapp played UT, not NT.

Laws would be alright, I just think Moore is better suited for the NT position.Yeah... *smacks head*... I was thinking that Sapp was a UT when I typed it. Knowledge of the Cover 2 - 1, TL - 0.

I'd be fine with Laws and Redding (on paper). Hell... with the mock the way it is, we'd be keeping Rogers. Just throw Laws in for Rogers on passing downs, or sub him in for Redding if he needs a break.

if yall could actually do this i would be scared. How much cap space do the Lions have?We've got $17.7 mil as of right now. Trading Roy would free some of it in the mock, (hopefully) accommodating the contract offered to Allen.

TacticaLion
02-24-2008, 08:46 PM
It's a thought. The problem with Okam is that his stock is so low that no team is going to draft him as a starter.

On that note, whatever happened to Shaun Cody? I liked him as a prospect way back in the day. Could he not get the job done in the run stuffing department?Cody has battled minor injuries (toe, for one) and failed to make an impact when he did see the field.

It would be nice for him to step-up, but it's hard to expect much at this point.

Iamcanadian
02-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Sapp as in Warren Sapp?

Sapp played UT, not NT.

I agree Laws would be iffy witrh Redding starting at UT. We need a DT in the 310 range since Rogers will be gone.
Allen would be nice but I'm not sure we can afford 2 first roundes. Roy isn't going anywhere unless somebody offers us a top 5 pick and a player who can at least start. What is the difference between Roy's value and Allen's, certainly not 2 first rounders vs a 2nd rounder???
We can forget about Flowers in round 2, Mayock has him going #8 overall in the draft. The rest of the draft looks OK but considering that we really haven't a clue past round 2 about how player's rank, it's extremely difficult to project the 3-7 round picks.

Bootland27
02-24-2008, 11:27 PM
I agree Laws would be iffy witrh Redding starting at UT. We need a DT in the 310 range since Rogers will be gone.
Allen would be nice but I'm not sure we can afford 2 first roundes. Roy isn't going anywhere unless somebody offers us a top 5 pick and a player who can at least start. What is the difference between Roy's value and Allen's, certainly not 2 first rounders vs a 2nd rounder???
We can forget about Flowers in round 2, Mayock has him going #8 overall in the draft. The rest of the draft looks OK but considering that we really haven't a clue past round 2 about how player's rank, it's extremely difficult to project the 3-7 round picks.

I respect Mayock's opinions highly, but he just lost some credibility when he said he wouldn't touch McFadden with a top-20 selection.

TacticaLion
02-24-2008, 11:44 PM
We can forget about Flowers in round 2, Mayock has him going #8 overall in the draft. The rest of the draft looks OK but considering that we really haven't a clue past round 2 about how player's rank, it's extremely difficult to project the 3-7 round picks.About Allen: I guess I'd rather spend 2 1st rounders on a proven stud than 1 1st rounder on a rookie. At least with Allen we know that he can step right in and perform... he's used to the speed and drain of an NFL season. It usually takes a rookie DE time to adjust to the NFL.

The 2nd rounder you're referring to is actually a 1st rounder (pick 32). Also, the team has said that it would consider a 2nd for Roy, but I'm guessing that Marinelli would rather have both Roy and CJ on the roster next year.

Top 5 pick AND an NFL starter? Yeah, right... Roy isn't worth nearly that much. Tell me the last player traded for a top 5 pick and an NFL starter. Roy isn't even in the top 10 in WRs (and some would argue lower), while Allen is one of the best DEs in the NFL.

Mayock doesn't have Flowers going 8th in the draft... he has Flowers as his 8th best prospect. Big difference, really. Regardless, the mock was made before the Combine and anything can happen once he works out. If he isn't available, there are plenty of fits at CB available (a few were listed in the mock).