PDA

View Full Version : My (I think possible) mock

Addict
02-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Okay so first off, I'd like to point out that this is POSSIBLE, yet not very likely. I think it's what needs to happen in order to create a team that can compete in the future.

ACT 1: the trades

Roy Williams to the Dallas Cowboys for the 28th overall pick
Cowboys give up their own first rounder to get a proven #1 wide receiver. Being a texas alum Roy will love us for it.

Shaun Rogers to the Denver Brocons for their second round pick (42th overall)

Kevin Jones to the Seattle Seahawks for their third round pick (86 overall)

ACT 2: the selections

round/overall - player, pos, college

1/15 - Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
1/28 - Brandon Flowers, 76CB, Virginia Tech
2/42 - Erin Henderson, OLB, Maryland
2/45 - Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame
3/76 - Tavares Gooden, ILB, The U
3/86 - Chevis Jackson, CB, Louisiana State

-after this point it becomes a bit blurry, so I'll just throw some names and roundnumbers out there-

4th round - Tommy Blake, DE, TCU
5th round - Kellen Davis, TE, Michigan State.
6-7th round - who cares, we always cut them anyway.

Now there's a few picks in there that I've been saying for a while (mendenhall, Flowers and Henderson). Because I believe they are exactly what we need. Looking at my little mock, I'm quite pleased with myself. I'd say if we got ourselfves Kelly through FA, we'd have the tough first steps of re-rebuilding done.
Round one - elite running back and a perfect cover 2 corner
Round two - beast of a linebacker, motivated DT
Round three - inside linebacker and another good cover 2 guy
Rounds 4 & 5 - Tommy Blake's talent at DE didn't evaporate, but I'm not very good at finding DE in the 4th, so if someone has ideas...
Oh http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/te/kellendavis.html Kellen Davis' scouting report. Keep in mind that he ran a 4.58 in the forty saturday, so the speed issue is answered.

Will this fly?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-24-2008, 09:48 AM
2008 the team would be terrible. But for the future, it looks bright. I think we would still need a nose tackle, which are hard to find. Change Trevor Laws who is a more of tweener DE/UT like Redding to Pat Sims and pray Pat Sims has half the talent Shaun Rogers does. Otherwise, 150-200 yards a game rushing on our D with no run stopping DTs and rookie LBs. I do like Flowers and Mendenhall as players though even though I hate giving up Roy and KJ. Also I think we are still in trouble at Right Tackle. I like Cherilus but Mendenhall is obviously BPA over Cherilus and we would have to pray Jonathan Scott stays healthy.

Dallas would be set and legitimate Super Bowl Contenders again becasue 2nd WR is what they need. Seattle could very well have a revived running game. I think Seattle would be a perfect fit for KJ to be successful. Denver would still be awful against the run. I see Shaun Rogers falling over in that Mile High air. I think we need Shaun Rogers but it looks like we're trading him so I'm not going to spin my wheels thinking we are keeping him.

TacticaLion
02-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Posted early... scroll down.

TacticaLion
02-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Wow... I definitely think the mock would fly. I hate the thought of bringing in rookie for a lot of important positions, but Mendenhall, Flowers, Laws, Gooden and Jackson are great players at positions of need.

My only hesitation is Henderson. Once we find our MLB hole, Lenon, Lewis and Davis will fight for the SLB position (and one will be able to fill it). It doesn't require a great player, so I'd rather pick an OT with pick 2.42. I'd still take him, though.

It's possible... but I don't think they'll trade KJones. I'd also prefer a veteran, stud pass-rusher at DE, but the mock is still very good. Well done.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Mendenhall is not really a need unless KJ is traded. And a lack of a Right Tackle and Right Guard would definitley limit Mendenhall. Just becasue Colletto and Marinelli say we are going to run, that doesn't mean we will be successful at running the ball.

And Trevor Laws is more of a depth pick. He would be an undertackle. We already have Redding. But if no nose tackles were available I would take Laws because the D-line needs depth because I think Cody and Moore are terrible.

Mendenhall and Laws are good players, but for all we know Mendenhall might be a one year wonder.

Xiomera
02-24-2008, 10:13 AM
No offensive linemen taken?

I don't see us getting a 3rd out of Seattle. If they cut Alexander, they will draft a back in Round 1.

Scotty D
02-24-2008, 10:21 AM
This is probably the best "full blown rebuilding" mock. The only thing unrealistic is the Seattle trade. Otherwise the rest is pretty realistic. All the draft picks are great fits. I definitely would love this type of off-season.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-24-2008, 10:22 AM
No offensive linemen taken?

I don't see us getting a 3rd out of Seattle. If they cut Alexander, they will draft a back in Round 1.

Yeah the lack of O-line on the right side makes Mendenhall and KJ if we keep him less valuable. I'm thinking O-line in the first has the best value for us.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/rashard-mendenhall?id=939

And I hate the comparison in this Mendenahll scouting report. Compares to Cedric Benson. I know its not a fact he will be Benson, but that just gives me shudders.

Scotty D
02-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Yeah the lack of O-line on the right side makes Mendenhall and KJ if we keep him less valuable. I'm thinking O-line in the first has the best value for us.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/rashard-mendenhall?id=939

And I hate the comparison in this Mendenahll scouting report. Compares to Cedric Benson. I know its not a fact he will be Benson, but that just gives me shudders.

Biggest difference is that I believe Benson was run into the ground at Texas. And you make a good point. Taking a OT at 15 will probably help our running game more than Stewart or Mendenhall.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-24-2008, 10:24 AM
This is probably the best "full blown rebuilding" mock. The only thing unrealistic is the Seattle trade. Otherwise the rest is pretty realistic. All the draft picks are great fits. I definitely would love this type of off-season.

Yeah I would label it full blown rebuilding mock. And that is why the mock is not a possibility. Millen and Marinelli in year 3 after a 7-9 season can't be in a full blown rebuilding mode.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Biggest difference is that I believe Benson was run into the ground at Texas. And you make a good point. Taking a OT at 15 will probably help our running game more than Stewart or Mendenhall.

Exactly. Why did Benson struggle this year? Was it Benson, who has a ton of talent or the fact that Fred Miller is 50 years old and didn't play very well. I don't think their Right Guard had a good year either in Chicago.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Heres my crack at it
Assumpitons
Roy Williams and KJ stays put.
It looks like Rogers will be traded for an early second.
Lions sign Justin Smith, Brian Kelly,resign Fisher(for dime)/Duckett,resign Peterman.
Lions trade Round 1 pick 15 to Washington for Round 1 Pick 21, Round 3 pick 85 and Round 4 Pick 117. Washington loves giving up draft picks. They might fall in love with a receiver and Snyder will trade up before the real run on receivers occurs with Philly/Tampa etc.
Lions trade Round 3 Pick 76(Det), Round 4 Pick 117(Was) and Round 5 Pick 138(Det) to get a pick at the end of Round 2 Pick 60.

Round 1 Pick 21 Gosder Cherilus RT or Jeff Otah. Basically with Locklear signed, Starks transitioned and Cover 2 corners not being taken in Round 1, I think a Tackle like Cherilus gives us the best value in Round 1. You can't have a running game without a powerful Right Tackle. I don't think Backus is strong enough to play Right Tackle and I think he used to be a decent LT before Martz. Marinelli and Colletto want to pound the ball. I don't really want Woody back at a high price and Scott seems to be decent but injury prone.

Round 2 Early Second for Rogers. CB Brandon Flowers

Round 2 Pick 45: NT Pat Sims

Round 2 Pick 60 via trade: MLB Mayo or Wheeler or Best Strongside LB

Round 3 Pick 75: Best Strongside LB available Gooden/Beau Bell or MLB Goff,Moffitt or Leman(if no MLB taken in Round 2 Pick 60)

Round 4: Flyer on a RB. I like Matt Forte. Other RBs might fall here like Michael Bush did last year. Compares to Edge and can catch the ball.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-forte?id=234

Round 5: traded

Round 6: WR for KR abilities. Troy Walters doesn't return.

Round 7: LB for special teams or G SirVincent Rogers. I like his name. SirVincent.

Scotty D
02-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Heres my crack at it
Assumpitons
Roy Williams and KJ stays put.
This I like
It looks like Rogers will be traded for an early second.
Lions sign Justin Smith, Brian Kelly,resign Fisher(for dime)/Duckett,resign Peterman.

Lions trade Round 1 pick 15 to Washington for Round 1 Pick 21, Round 3 pick 85 and Round 4 Pick 117. Washington loves giving up draft picks. They might fall in love with a receiver and Snyder will trade up before the real run on receivers occurs with Philly/Tampa etc.
You make a good point about the run on WRs. Also anyone wanting a RB could look to trade in front of Arizona. Look at Seattle, they don't have a lot of needs and we would probably get their second rounder and maybe more.
Lions trade Round 3 Pick 76(Det), Round 4 Pick 117(Was) and Round 5 Pick 138(Det) to get a pick at the end of Round 2 Pick 60.

Round 1 Pick 21 Gosder Cherilus RT or Jeff Otah. Basically with Locklear signed, Starks transitioned and Cover 2 corners not being taken in Round 1, I think a Tackle like Cherilus gives us the best value in Round 1. You can't have a running game without a powerful Right Tackle. I don't think Backus is strong enough to play Right Tackle and I think he used to be a decent LT before Martz. Marinelli and Colletto want to pound the ball. I don't really want Woody back at a high price and Scott seems to be decent but injury prone.

The only thing I don't like is that Cherilous will never have the ability to move over to LT. I'd rather draft a guy that has that option later on in his career.

Round 2 Early Second for Rogers. CB Brandon Flowers

Round 2 Pick 45: NT Pat Sims

Round 2 Pick 60 via trade: MLB Mayo or Wheeler or Best Strongside LB

Round 3 Pick 75: Best Strongside LB available Gooden/Beau Bell or MLB Goff,Moffitt or Leman(if no MLB taken in Round 2 Pick 60)

Round 4: Flyer on a RB. I like Matt Forte. Other RBs might fall here like Michael Bush did last year. Compares to Edge and can catch the ball.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-forte?id=234

Round 5: traded

Round 6: WR for KR abilities. Troy Walters doesn't return.

Round 7: LB for special teams or G SirVincent Rogers. I like his name. SirVincent.

Also just a note that we have a thread for Lions Mock Draft. But if you put a ton of work into a mock and provide a lot of analysis and pictures then its own thread will be ok. But if you have a quick short one on your mind then please use the thread.

Addict
02-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Also just a note that we have a thread for Lions Mock Draft. But if you put a ton of work into a mock and provide a lot of analysis and pictures then its own thread will be ok. But if you have a quick short one on your mind then please use the thread.

I know there is a seperate thread for mocks, but since this one is a full blown rebuilding mock, I figured I'd make a thread for it.

The Seattle trade was a thing I was very much doubtful about, I just wanted a late third for KJ and figured Seattle would like a back like him, so jus went with it.

About henderson, I'm a very big believer in his star power, and I think a linebacking corps of Sims, Gooden and Henderson would be a very good one in time. The line remains an issue but I think we'll get someone to play RT in the FA pool this year. I was very tempted to spend the 1/28 pick from Dallas on Branden Albert, but decided against it since Flowers' value seems to be soaring and I did want to make the mock at least a bit realistic. Laws was a need pick, since we do need a replacement if we trade Rogers.

I gotta say it was very hard to get all the bases covered and I think I still left a few holes in the depth chart (namely at DE and OL) but the thing is I think we lack so much talent it's just plain impossible to fix everything in one draft or offseason. There's no doubt in my mind the approach the team seems to have taken the last few years, which was essentially fixing up the trouble area and building strenghts, isn't working at all. We're still having sub-par seasons and have been the laughing stock of the league for some time now.

I love what the 49ers did a few years ago, just drafting as much talent as they could, and showing willingness to take chances in both FA and draft. Even though it hasn't payed off yet mainly due to their lack of a passing game and the fact they may have drafted a bust in Alex Smith, but the idea behind their moves of the past 2-3 years has been a courageous one. A wise man once said 'no guts, no glory' and I think it's about time we as fans and the franchise starts taking some risks, throwing it around. We have a poor cap situation, which is terrible considering the talent we actually have. So why not take the cap hit, cut all the big-salary players, get some cap room and start the rebuilding process?

Succes can only be obtained if the losing ways are, in fact, completely destroyed.

(PS: How did you like my little darkhorse find Kellen Davis? I think it's a real oppertunity, since he's from MSU, so he knows Stanton (important) plus his forty was impressive and his scouting report looks good)