PDA

View Full Version : Marinelli: "Very Confident" that Roy is staying

Bootland27
02-24-2008, 03:33 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/02/marinelli_very_confident_that.html

Its good to hear that he's gonna stay. I didn't think there was a good chance that he'd get traded, and it seems pretty clear to me that they wanna trade McDonald instead, which is the correct move, IMO.

Addict
02-24-2008, 03:45 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/02/marinelli_very_confident_that.html

Its good to hear that he's gonna stay. I didn't think there was a good chance that he'd get traded, and it seems pretty clear to me that they wanna trade McDonald instead, which is the correct move, IMO.

on the other hand you could say it's a bad move if roy decides to leave after next year (I know, the franchise tag, but still). But it certainly won't hurt to have him around for a bit more.

Brothgar
02-24-2008, 05:22 PM
on the other hand you could say it's a bad move if roy decides to leave after next year (I know, the franchise tag, but still). But it certainly won't hurt to have him around for a bit more.

I couldn't agree more but the big thing with the franchise tag is that the player gets paid the average of the top 5 of their position. That's the big reason why you never see WRs get the tag. The only way I can see not trading Roy is if we can sign him to a deal this year. It would be worth the extra money to make sure that he stays and doesn't bail when his contract is up.

wingboy2999
02-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Looks like we'll get him for 2 more years or so I hope.

detroit4life
02-24-2008, 09:40 PM
win now solution for millen. This team will be better this year with roy and if we are able to keep him and get an extension done then great. Millen needs to win now rather then trade your most productive WR to continue to rebuild on defense. If we were unable to get a top 15 draft pick for him i kind of like the move to keep him. I would ultimatly like to see him moved and get some value for him but if value isn't right then keep him and continue to try and win. But in the end Millen is making this decision to try and save his job.

bearsfan_51
02-24-2008, 09:44 PM
This could be another reason why, if you believe the rumors

Last night we posted that our main source in Indy was reporting the Detroit Lions are shopping star wide receiver Roy Williams in hopes of getting a 2nd round pick in return -- either in the upcoming draft or next years draft.

This has created a buzz on many fan sites and has caused many to ask us why Detroit would even consider trading such a young and talented wide receiver for "only" a second round pick?

Here's the response from our source, when we asked the same question: Williams demands for a contract extenstion are pretty steep, which will knock down the Lions asking price in trades. He is reportedly looking for 8 to 10 million dollars a year, with a 28 million dollar signing bonus.

Can't link a source, as it's rival material, but take it for what it's worth.

Could be that they think he's worth more in the next two years than the 2nd rounder they may not be able to get anyway. I'd have to agree.

Addict
02-25-2008, 04:55 AM
This could be another reason why, if you believe the rumors

Can't link a source, as it's rival material, but take it for what it's worth.

Could be that they think he's worth more in the next two years than the 2nd rounder they may not be able to get anyway. I'd have to agree.

Yeah, Those are some nasty numbers he's demanding right there. Still I'd be pretty dissapointed if a team came looking for him with a late 1st was turned down.

wingboy2999
02-25-2008, 07:25 PM
That's a lot of money... damn.

TacticaLion
02-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Roy AND CJ with big contracts...

Just doesn't seem worth it.

detroit4life
02-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Roy AND CJ with big contracts...

Just doesn't seem worth it.

if millen was not willing to pay up for the numerous WRs that he drafted then why draft so many?

Brothgar
02-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Well when Rogers leaves we'll have a good amount of cap room. We could give him a front heavy contract (give him his money early so we can save money down the road when CJ's starts escalating.

dreadedluck
02-26-2008, 11:23 AM
The Lions can not afford Roy, his demands are over priced for what we actually gain. Because we took CJ last year IMO we have spent to much money on wide recievers. I would love to dump Roy and gain some players we need either through FA or drafting, both Millen sucks at. The Lions problems are on D and are offensive line is horrible. Spending more money, or "locking it up" on another WR is not going to help this team. Face it when we signed CJ we put Roy on the block, CJ was a wasted pick and now overpaying Roy will only make Redding's deal look good.