PDA

View Full Version : Mockumentary ~ Interesting Twist in Round #1

Donkey Punch
02-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Rather than just run post my own thoughts and opinions, I thought it would be interesting to piece together a compilation of quotes and opinions from draft experts throughout the country to arrive at a consensus pick for each slot. It took me nearly 2 days to do all of this research so I hope you enjoy this interesting twist of a mock draft.

Round 1:
1. Miami Dolphins: Chris Long-DE-Virginia
According to Pro Football Weekly’s “The Way We Hear It”, Bill Parcells would like nothing more than to enter the draft with 5 picks within the first two rounds. They already have an extra 2nd round pick due to the Chris Chambers-to-San Diego trade and are quietly shopping DE Jason Taylor for another 2nd round pick, but the only sure-fire way to stockpile that many selections is by trading the 1st overall pick.
Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland in an interview in The Sun Sentinel: “Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither will this team. The 1st pick is no different than the 22nd pick. You have to make the right choice. You just can’t miss on it. We’re going to do everything in our power to make sure we make the right choice, whether it be making a pick or trading it.”
Tim Graham of the Palm Beach Post reports “the Dolphins are more intrigued by Delaware’s Joe Flacco than BC’s Matt Ryan.”
ESPN’s Todd McShay says Glenn Dorsey is not a realistic option because he doesn’t fit the system that the Dolphins want to run. The two players that Parcells covets are Chris Long and Jake Long.
Summary: It appears as if trading the top pick is the logical choice, but in order to do so, you must have a trading partner and as of now, no one is tipping their hand on moving up. Ireland’s comment about the “22nd pick” is interesting in the fact that the Cowboys have two 1st round choices and could be a player in moving up for Darren McFadden, who is a personal favorite if Arkansas alum, Jerry Jones. Another interesting scenario would be for the Bengals to package the 9th overall pick and WR Chad Johnson (and probably their 2nd round pick) to move into the top slot. Before you scoff at the idea, remember that Parcells did relate well to Keyshawn Johnson despite the well-publicized feud with Terrell Owens. Chad Johnson is closer in personality to Keyshawn than he is Owens. When the Dolphins 15 minutes are finally up, they’ll likely stand pat and take one of the Long’s. Let’s slot Chris Long here based on the PFW’s comment that the Dolphins are quietly shopping Jason Taylor, which would leave a huge hole at defensive end that Chris Long would admirably fill.

2. St Louis Rams: Jake Long-OT-Michigan
Mel Kiper was on ESPN Radio with Mike & Mike breaking down the first 5 picks of the draft. Kiper’s quote: “St. Louis will likely go with Long -- either Chris or Jake. Although the Rams drafted defensive tackle Adam Carriker last year, I could see them taking Virginia defensive end Chris Long. He's similar to (Glenn) Dorsey in that he plays with tremendous intensity and makes everyone around him better. If the Rams don't go with Chris Long, then Michigan left tackle Jake Long should be the pick since they could use help on the offensive line.”
After day one of the Indianapolis Combine, KFFL reports that “Jake Long is the most impressive athlete here. He paced all linemen with 37 reps. He has solidified himself atop most teams draft boards.”
Summary: Say what you want about Mel Kiper, but he knows his stuff. If he says the Rams will take one of the Long’s, who am I to disagree? For the sake of this mock draft, Chris is already off the board so that leaves Jake to head to the Gateway city.

3. Atlanta Falcons: Glenn Dorsey-DT-LSU
Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said the team will not likely draft a quarterback with their first-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. "I understand that drafting a [quarterback] in the first five picks is an option, but historically it has not been that successful. It's not like I have a strong belief or philosophy with the top-5 picks. If the right player, a quarterback, offensive lineman, linebacker, running back, if that player truly fits and we're ready to go forward, then we will. Quarterback is a unique position though because you need a supporting cast to be successful in this league. We're going to have to do a lot of work evaluating quarterbacks that are coming out in the draft," Dimitroff said.
In a separate AJC article: “Friday's roster cuts signal areas the Falcons project to address in free agency and in the draft. Improving production at left tackle, where (Wayne) Gandy, 37, once started, is optimum. The same can be said at defensive tackle. (Rod) Coleman, 31, was one of the premier interior pass rushers in the NFL when he was healthy. With him gone, Jonathan Babineaux is the only experienced player at the position.
Citing anonymous sources, ProFootballTalk.com says one NFL insider thinks that no quarterback is deserving of a 1st round pick this year.
PFT also reports that Darren McFadden’s off-the-field issues, albeit small ones, could be just enough to make him drop further than you would think on draft day.
Summary: Most mock drafts have the Falcons selecting Matt Ryan here, but Dimitroff’s comments contradict that. The possibility of a smoke-screen is certainly possible, but PFT’s anonymous sources are right more often than not. The second AJC article seems to make you think the Falcons will address one of the lines and with Jake Long already off the board, Glenn Dorsey is the logical pick.

4. Oakland Raiders: Vernon Gholston-DE-Ohio State
Jerry McDonald, Beat Reporter for Inside The Oakland Raiders, says he heard a Raiders scout say the following at the Combine when comparing the top defensive tackles available this year: “Dorsey. Hands down. He’s a top four pick no question while Ellis is a nice player but belongs in the top 15.”
Sportsline.com reports: “With the Raiders re-signing their leading rusher (Justin Fargas) from 2007 to a 3-year, $12 million contract, it is unlikely that they’ll spend their 1st round pick on Arkansas’ Darren McFadden.
Fact: The Raiders have invested a 1st round draft pick on a running back only twice in the past twenty five years…Marcus Allen and Napoleon Kaufman.
Raidersfan.net and InsideBayArea.com both have the following Al Davis quote posted: “When you draft high you should take a difference maker. You should look first to draft a quarterback, a left tackle, a cornerback or a defensive end. This year the players that fit that description are Chris Long, Jake Long and Vernon Gholston. We only registered 27 sacks last year and my motto is “the quarterback must go down! And he must go down hard!”
Summary: This pick is sure to shock you, but let’s look at these quotes. The McDonald quote would eliminate Sedrick Ellis. The Sportsline report along with the fact that Davis doesn’t usually draft running backs early, would eliminate McFadden. That leaves Gholston has the next logical pick, especially considering Davis’ quote post.

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Matt Ryan-QB-Boston College
From Pro Football Weekly…Chiefs Chairman Clark Hunt says “whether it is this year or another year, if we have a shot at somebody we think can be a franchise quarterback, I would expect us to take him. That presumes that we don’t already have one on the roster and right now, I don’t think we know that.” Despite more pressing needs on the offensive and defensive lines, the Chiefs would be hard pressed to pass on Boston College’s Matt Ryan.
Randy Covitz of the Kansas City Star reports: “The Chiefs say they are committed to Brodie Croyle, but the fact is that he was winless in 7 starts last year and had trouble staying healthy. It’s not often that a team has a chance at a franchise quarterback, but if they (Kansas City) feel that (Matt) Ryan is one, then they’ll have a difficult choice to make if Atlanta passes on him.
Herman Edwards’ press conference at the Combine when asked about Matt Ryan: “He’s a good quarterback. I’ve studied him thoroughly. I think he understands the game, has a good arm to make the throws. He has good awareness in the pocket.”
Summary: Obviously, Jake Long is the man that the Chiefs covet, but I don’t seem him slipping to #5. Boise State’s Ryan Clady is the next best thing, but not worth the 5th overall selection. One option might be for the Chiefs to trade down if another club is interested in jumping ahead of the Jets to select McFadden or Ellis, but I couldn’t find any documentation on that so sticking with this type of mock draft, Matt Ryan heads to Kansas City.

6. New York Jets: Sedrick Ellis-DT-USC
Craig Thomas of Jets Confidential says the following: ““(Rashard) Mendenhall translates better to the NFL game than (Darren) McFadden does. He’s 225 pounds and has great feet and tremendous burst and acceleration for a player of his size. My biggest concern with McFadden is that although he also has great burst and acceleration, I don’t think he has the lower body strength that you’re looking for in a first-round NFL back.”
Mike Mayock, the NFL Network’s draft guru, on USC’s Sedrick Ellis vs. LSU’s Glenn Dorsey: “They are both great football players and it’s a very difficult evaluation between the two as to who is better because they are both top-10 picks. What I like about Ellis is that he played nose tackle in a 3-4 defense at USC and that will appeal to 3-4 NFL teams. In addition, he will also appeal to the 4-3 teams because he has the quickness to play the “three technique.” Dorsey is a great football player and I give him credit for playing through injuries the past few years. However his durability is a concern.”
Summary: If Thomas got his way of thinking from listening to Jets brass, then it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them pass on McFadden. Mayock actually graded out higher than Mel Kiper last year when ranking players so you have to take his evaluation of Ellis seriously. Throw in the fact that the Jets play a 3-4 and need a nose guard in the worst way and you have to put Ellis in this spot.

7. Dallas Cowboys (from San Francisco through New England): Darren McFadden-RB-Arkansas
John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that the Patriots will aggressively try to trade down in the 1st round of the NFL Draft.
Patriots owner Robert Kraft is on record saying that “the best value of the draft comes late in the first round when signing bonuses are smaller but production necessarily isn’t.”
From the February 15th edition of the Dallas Morning News: With their Arkansas ties, Razorbacks running back Darren McFadden and Cowboys owner and former Razorbacks co-captain Jerry Jones have talked a few times. McFadden said he's heard all the rumors about a potential blockbuster deal positioning the Cowboys to select him. McFadden said he grew up a Cowboys fan and an Emmitt Smith fan.
Albert Breer of the Dallas Morning news interviewed Darren McFadden on Thursday before the start of the Combine in Indianapolis. When asked about Jerry Jones, McFadden responded with this: "He's a great guy. "I feel like if he had it his way, he would pick me and have me as a running back for him.”
Pro Football Weekly reports that the Cowboys will try to trade Marcus Spears and Bobby Carpenter this off-season. Both players could be used in leverage for draft day trades.
Summary: Here is where I project the first trade of the draft. It’s new secret that the Patriots want to trade down and that Jerry Jones loves McFadden. In fact, it was rumored last year that part of the reason the Cowboys traded their pick to Cleveland was to position themselves this year to take McFadden. It’s also no secret that the Patriots really liked Bobby Carpenter when he was in the draft two years ago, but the Cowboys picked him 3 spots ahead of them. The Cowboys will send both of their 1st round picks, as well as Carpenter, to the Patriots for the 7th pick in the first round and bring McFadden to Dallas.

8. Philadelphia Eagles (from Baltimore): Leodis McKelvin-CB-Troy
ESPN’s Chris Mortensen has reported that the Ravens may dangle the 8th pick in the first round as trade bait if they can acquire Donovan McNabb from the Eagles. Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome has dismissed the report, but where there is smoke, there is fire and Mort isn’t wrong too often.
Eagles franchise tight end, L.J. Smith said, "I've never been the type to sit out. I know what it takes for me to be ready, but me sitting at home and not working out with whoever the starting quarterback is, I'm not really cool with that. I just have to talk to my agent and see what he thinks we should do."
Les Bowen, of the Philadelphia Daily News, reports Troy CB Leodis McKelvin said he was interviewed by the Philadelphia Eagles at the Senior Bowl and then again at the Combine. “They have shown me more attention than anyone else.” The Eagles would likely have to trade up from number 19 if they want to select the cornerback.
Summary: Here is trade number two. The Eagles obviously like McKelvin, who appears to be solidifying himself as the top cornerback in this draft. Pro Football Weekly says he is overvalued, however, will still be a top ten selection. I wouldn’t personally trade McNabb if I were the Eagles, but L.J. Smith’s comment about not knowing who is quarterback is going to be is very interesting. The Eagles trade McNabb to the Ravens in exchange for the 8th overall pick.

9. Cincinnati Bengals: Keith Rivers-OLB-USC
Sean Crowe of The Bleacher Report says that the Bengals will select the best available defensive player with their 1st round pick with hopes that Sedrick Ellis falls to them.
Chris Steuber from Fox Sports reports that the Bengals have secretly fallen in love with Keith Rivers. They spent a lot of time scouting (Sedrick) Ellis at USC, but quickly discovered that Rivers could have just as big of an impact on the next level.
Bengalszone.com says that Keith Rivers is the consensus 1st round pick of the Bengals when averaging out the picks of more than 50 credible on-line mock drafts.
Summary: Hard to argue with this pick. The Bengals have some players to work with in their secondary, but the front seven needs help. Rivers is the best player left on the board and seems to be the pick for most experts at this time.

10. New Orleans Saints: Mike Jenkins-CB-South Florida
“The Saints are so desperate for a true cover corner that it wouldn’t surprise me if they reach for someone with the 10th pick,” says Pete Prisco of CBS Sportsline.
Ed Thompson, Senior NFL Analyst for Scout.com says “Cornerback would be the easiest to fill with the #10 pick in the 1st-round. Mike Jenkins (South Florida) is a ballhawk with good size (6', 200 lbs.) on the outside.”
Andrew Wynne of About.com says: The New Orleans Saints situation at corner is so bad that Kevin Kaesviharn, who should be starting at free safety, was starting at corner by the end of the season. Mike McKenzie is a starting caliber corner. Usama Young may have future potential, but Jason David appears to be a free agent disappointment. Jason Craft and Fred Thomas also have not performed well. Cornerback should be the Saints #1 offseason priority.
Summary: Nabbing the top rated cornerback seems to be the national consensus. The problem is, who is the top rated corner? Leodis McKelvin, Mike Jenkins and Aqib Talib all could make an argument that they are the best available. For the sake of this style of mock draft, let’s project Jenkins to the Saints. McKelvin is already off the board and Talib’s stock seems to fluctuate more than most.

11. Buffalo Bills: Malcolm Kelly-WR-Oklahoma
From Pro Football Weekly…If either Texas’ Limas Sweed or Oklahoma’s Malcolm Kelly—the consensus top two big wide receivers in this years draft—are available when the Bills select at no. 11, expect Buffalo to choose one of them.
Bob Matthews, of the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, reports the Buffalo Bills may be interested in selecting University of Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly with their first-round draft choice.
Scott Series from The Bleacher Report says: The Bills need somebody to line up opposite deep threat Lee Evans to make plays. Josh Reed would be the fourth option on most teams and Rosoe Parrish is better suited in the slot. Kelly gives quarterback Trent Edwards a big target that also had the speed to stretch the field. The combination of Evans and Kelly could be lethal. Offensive coordinator Turk Schonert should give opposing defenses fits with a game plan that features two viable deep threats.
Summary: Once again, it seems as most people feel that the Bills will look to bolster their offense with their first round pick. With Marshawn Lynch clearly entrenched as the teams starter at running back, it makes sense to add a wide receiver to pair with Lee Evans. In all likelihood, the Bills will have their choice of any receiver they wish.

12. Denver Broncos: Ryan Clady-OT-Boise State
From Pro Football Weekly…Denver originally had hoped to spend their first round pick on a true middle linebacker, but with Ohio State’s John Laurinaitis and USC’s Rey Maualuga deciding to stay in school and with the Broncos coming away from the Senior Bowl unimpressed by Penn State’s Dan Connor, it appears as if the MLB pool is too shallow for them to spend a first round pick. They will have to turn their attention to another need area such as the offensive line.
Clifton Brown of The Sporting News reporting from the Combine says: “This is a volatile draft, with the Miami Dolphins willing to trade the No. 1 pick, and no player who has separated himself as the best prospect. It is conceivable that (Ryan) Clady could go as high as No. 2 to the St. Louis Rams, but he is not expected to fall past the Denver Broncos at No. 12.
Mel Kiper of ESPN says Ryan Clady is the 9th overall best player in this draft and would represent great value should be fall to the Denver Broncos at number twelve.
Summary: The Broncos have a lot invested in Jay Cutler so they better get him some protection. Denver doesn’t usually spend early picks on offensive linemen, but Clady is too good of a value if he is on the board with the Broncos pick. Furthermore, Clady has the athleticism the Broncos look for in their zone blocking scheme.

13. Carolina Panthers: Jonathan Stewart-RB-Oregon
From Pro Football Weekly…The Panthers, will likely rebuild their running attack by taking a long-term approach and drafting offensive linemen and a bruising running back. Adding a no 2 wide receiver to pair with Steve Smith is arguably an equal, if not more pressing, need.
Vinnie Iyer of The Sporting News reports that with DeShaun Foster released for salary-cap relief and DeAngelo Williams still somewhat unproven, the Panthers may surprise many by taking a big, strong back early in the draft.
James Alder of About.com states “John Fox must win now. He has to find someone who can contribute from day one. Until the Panthers find an offensive weapon to take the pressure off of Steve Smith, they will struggle. Finding a stud safety is a priority, yes, but getting someone who can get in the end zone could save Fox’s job.”
Summary: I see Kenny Phillips and Derrick Harvey’s names listed frequently in Carolina mock drafts, but it appears as if the national scope has them leaning towards taking a running back to pair with DeAngelo Williams. Foster is gone and Eric Shelton never panned out. Stewart is a solidly built 230 pounder with shifty moves and nice power.

14. Seattle Seahawks (from Chicago): Rashard Mendenhall-RB-Illinois
Fact: Bears GM Jerry Angelo loves trading down to accumulate more picks as much as any decision maker in the NFL. The Bears have made more moves down within the first 3 rounds as any time in the league over the past four seasons.
Zac Zaidman of WSCR 670 Chicago says that the Bears scouting staff is committed to offensive linemen at the Combine and they feel as many as 6 carry potential first round grades.
From the January 23rd edition of The Daily Illini…”The possibilities of teams are endless for Rashard Mendenhall. The Bears, Cardinals, Cowboys, Seahawks and Packers have all expressed early affection for the former Illini running back.
ESPN’s Todd McShay says “Rashard Mendenhall makes sense to me because the Seahawks need a fresh, young back to carry the ball 25-30 times a game, largely because former MVP Shaun Alexander looks to be figuratively, and literally, running on his last legs. The Seahawks offense is centered around a passing game that requires running backs to make catches downfield and Rashard has underrated receiving skills out of the backfield.
Summary: The Seahawks need to breath life into their running game and it appears as if they are enamored with Mendenhall. To get him, they’ll have to find a trading partner so they can get ahead of teams such as Arizona and Houston. The Bears would love to trade down (assuming Ryan Clady is off the board) and get better value at the offensive line position. The marriage between the two wants is almost perfect. Seattle will ship their 1st and 3rd round picks in this years draft plus their 3rd round pick in the 2009 draft to Chicago so they can move up 11 spots to take their running back of the future.

15. Detroit Lions: Aqib Talib-CB-Kansas
Tom Kowalski reported in The Sporting News that the Lions feel they are set on the left side of the offensive line, but there are issues on the right side, but that they will probably fill that spot with a free agent rather than via the draft because of so many other pressing needs on defense.
Joe Machota of Freep.com has this to say about the Lions: “There is no doubt the offensive line could use a talented first-rounder to play one of the tackle positions, but cornerback is the most glaring. Too many big plays were given up because the Lions lack talent in the secondary. Even though the Tampa Two defense does not require a shut down style cornerback, the Lions need to address the position soon. Of the players that should still be on the board when the Lions select, cornerback Aqib Talib of Kansas has the skills that the Lions need most.”
ESPN’s Todd McShay says: The Lions' secondary is undermanned and would welcome the services of Aqib Talib; he is a versatile, fluid athlete with excellent size and ball skills. His elite athleticism was on display when returned an interception 100 yards for a touchdown this season, and Talib also saw some snaps on offense.
Summary: I personally think there is better value at offensive tackle (Chris Williams) or defensive end (Derrick Harvey) on the board, but keeping with the spirit of this documented mock draft, I have to slot Talib here as he appears to be the national consensus pick at the present time.

16. Arizona Cardinals: Calais Campbell-DE-Miami
Sports Writers Inc. has this to say about the Cardinals draft strategy: “With the 16th pick in the 1st-round, Arizona will have a chance at a few players at need positions. Calais Campbell, the physical specimen from Miami who is 6'8", 280 lbs., would be a welcomed addition to the Cardinals' defensive line. Dan Connor, Penn State, is a prototypical middle linebacker and would free Karlos Dansby to make more plays on the outside. Chris Williams and Sam Baker are top offensive tackles that could be available in the middle of round one as well. With Arizona's defensive issues, Campbell is the best choice in round one.”
From Cardinal Insider.Com, DL Calais Campbell is just the type of versatile linemen that the Cardinals need.
Mel Kiper Jr. says: “DE Calais Campbell is a great option with excellent upside addressing what I think is the Cards #1 need a disruptive, dominate pass rusher. He has similar frame as Mario Williams lacks the same strength but makes up for it with speed & advanced technique, a natural RDE.”
Summary: Some mock drafts have Derrick Harvey going ahead of Campbell, but the documentation I found seems to lean towards the Miami defensive end hearing his name called first on draft day.

17. Minnesota Vikings: Derrick Harvey-DE-Florida
From NFL Draft Countdown: “All things being equal, the Vikings would likely prefer to nab a top defensive end with this pick.”
Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the Vikings will most certainly address the defensive end position early on draft day considering Erasmus James inability to stay healthy and Kenechi Udeze’s leukemia diagnosis.
NFLdraftscout.com has the Vikings taking Florida defensive end Derrick Harvey in not one but two of its drafts. Harvey was a junior this past season and had eight tackles, two sacks and three tackles for loss in the Capital One Bowl against Michigan. He led Florida with 8.5 sacks and 17 tackles for loss.
Summary: Harvey’s stock seems to be all over the board. I’ve seen him go has high as #7 in some mock drafts and as low as the 3rd round, but this seems about right considering the documentation listed above.

18. Houston Texans: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie-CB-Tennessee State
John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reporting from the Combine: “Finding a cornerback who can start from day one is a priority heading into the draft.
From Scout.com: “Small college cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie has impressed Houston scouts at the Senior Bowl to a point where he may draw 1st round consideration.
Summary: A reach? Perhaps, but by the time the draft actually gets here, I bet that Rodgers-Cromartie’s stock is as high as any player available.

19. Philadelphia Eagles: Chris Williams-OT-Vanderbilt
Alex Whiteweather of the MVP Network says: The 2008 season should be a productive one from the offensive line if they can be a healthier unit than last season. The concern is not for the upcoming season but in the near future a changing of the guard will occur at the tackle spot. Will Herremans or Andrews move outside making room for promising young guard Gilles? While it may not be a popular move, a first round pick on a lineman is not out of the question.
The Eagles are intrigued by Offensive tackle Chris Williams, Vanderbilt. 6-6, 320 pounds. "Jon Runyan's future replacement," says Pete Prisco of CBS's sportsline.com.
From The Philadelphia Inquirer: “They will consider a receiver, but (Chris) Williams is a value pick and the Eagles love picking big guys. He would be the eventual replacement for Tra Thomas.”
Summary: If the Bears don’t trade down, it would not surprise me to see Williams go off the board with the 14th pick, but the way this mock draft has played out, he represents great value to the Eagles at #19.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DeSean Jackson-WR-California
Rick Stroud, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports the Buccaneers have held discussions with the Denver Broncos about acquiring WR Javon Walker.
The Tampa Tribune doesn't expect the Bucs to execute a trade for Javon Walker.
Unless all Denver is asking for is a sixth- or seventh-round pick, the Bucs have no incentive to deal for Walker because he's likely to be released. The Broncos are believed to be offering Walker up to "just about anybody who will answer their phone calls." Walker's option bonus is due on March 4.
From BucsBlitz.com coverage of the Combine: You won’t believe who DeSean Jackson’s been running with lately. It’s future Hall of Fame wide receiver, Jerry Rice, and the Bucs have taken notice.
Matthew Postins of the Charlotte Sun-Herald says: “(DeSean) Jackson is considered one of the top receiving prospects in the NFL Draft, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are looking for big play help at wide receiver.”
Summary: Follow me here, the Bucs obviously feel they need to upgrade at the wide receiver spot or they wouldn’t be asking about Walker, but if the Tampa Tribune is correct, they aren’t going to trade for him. Throw in the fact that they seem to be enamored with Jackson and the writing seems to be on the wall. Let’s project DeSean Jackson to Tampa Bay.

21. Washington Redskins: Kentwan Balmer-DT-North Carolina
Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post says “the defensive line is a draft priority. New defensive coordinator Greg Blache has shunned the idea of adding a big name free agent and prefers to draft his style of linemen during the first few rounds in April.”
Ryan O’Halloran of the Washington Times says “The Redskins' wish list is a receiver with size, a young offensive lineman who can play guard and center, youth at defensive end and tackle and possible help at cornerback and safety.
Richard Bowler of The Bleacher Report says “The Redskins will be looking to put a play maker opposite other than Andre Carter on their defensive line. Someone like Derrick Harvey or Kentwan Balmber could inject some life into the Redskins pass rush.”
Summary: I have a suspicion that Daniel Snyder will want a flashier pick than this, say a tall wide receiver such as Limas Sweed or James Hardy, or even Kenny Phillips (i.e. one Miami safety to replace another), but for the sake of keeping with the style of this mock draft, it appears a defensive lineman is the consensus pick and Balmer is the best left on the board.

22. New England Patriots (from Cleveland through Dallas): Dan Connor-LB-Penn State
Mark Maske of The Washington Post says: The Patriots have been paying close attention to Penn State’s Dan Connor, but taking him at #7 would seem a little high. If Connor becomes a Patriot, it will likely be due to New England trading down in the first round. At 233 pounds, Connor is a little undersized but he has the frame to get bigger. Connor played mostly on the outside at Penn State but
Christopher Gasper of Boston.com says: “Belichick doesn’t like to spend early picks on linebackers, but he may not have a choice this year considering Bruschi and Seau are at or near the end of their careers.
Summary: I am not the biggest Dan Connor fan and I’m not sure if he really fits the Patriots defensive scheme, but the arguments above make sense. The Pats seem to have taken a liking to Connor, but would only draft him if they traded down to a spot where it makes sense. In this mock draft, that scenario applies.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jeff Otah-OT-Pittsburgh
Tyler Scribe of The Bleacher Report says “The first-round pick for the Steelers in 2008 is a no-brainer—Go big. Pittsburgh’s offensive line was far from elite last season, and with Alan Faneca’s bags packed it goes without saying that the team needs offensive linemen to protect Big Ben and effectively run the football.
KFFL reporting from the Combine: “"Jeff (Otah) is an interesting kid. He probably hasn't played his best football yet," Pittsburgh Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Thursday.
Scott Brown of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: “The Steelers may not have to look any further than their own backyard to fix their offensive line woes. Jeff Otah has impressed the Steelers coaching staff and while he may not be an immediate help, his long-term potential is too much to ignore.”
Summary: Otah’s stock appears to have taken a bit of a hit at the combine so this pick could change, but the comments above sure lead you to believe that the Steelers have their eye on the mammoth tackle from Nigeria.

24. Tennessee Titans: Limas Sweed-WR-Texas
“I would love to play with Vince (Young) again,” said Texas wide receiver Limas Sweed at the Indianapolis Combine. “Any team would be fine, but it would be great to reunite in Tennessee.”
Richard Bowler from The Bleacher Report: “A reunion of Vince Young with his favorite target from college (Sweed) could do a world of good for a bad passing game. Drafting a receiver is a must to bolster the anemic offense of the Titans.”
KFFL reporting from the Combine: “Alge Crumpler’s visit with Tennessee went well, but the Titans would be well served to add another reliable weapon during the draft. Look for Texas Longhorns wide receiver Limas Sweed to be on the Titans radar.
Summary: A lot of Limas Sweed love going on here. I understand the whole Young-Sweed-Texas thing, but I personally think Mario Manningham would be the better fit and will ultimately be the better pro, but this mock draft isn’t about my opinions, it’s about the national opinion so Sweed it is.

25. Chicago Bears (from Seattle): Gosder Cherilus-OT-Boston College
Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun Times says “Jerry Angelo has a personal infatuation with Gosder Cherilus of Boston College. In fact, he personally scouted Cherilus in two games this past season. That is unheard of in this day and age.”
Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune reporting from the Combine: “The Bears staff has been spending a lot of time looking at Michigan’s Chad Henne. Ron Turner knows him well and he would make sense in the 2nd round. As for the 1st round, it’s nearly a foregone conclusion that Chicago will invest in an offensive lineman considering the release of Fred Miller and Reuben Brown. Ideally, they would draft a left tackle and move John Tait to the right side.”
From The Bear Report: “Job #1 this offseason is to upgrade the offensive line, especially at tackle, and fortunately for the Bears, there are six tackles in this draft that they feel carry a first round grade. USC’s Sam Baker and Boston College’s Gosder Cherilus are two possibilities if the Bears decide to trade down as Angelo tends to do.”
Summary: There is little doubt that the Bears will be looking for blockers in the first round and Angelo’s affection for Boston College (he drafted Josh Beekman last year and Marc Columbo several years ago) could sway the pick in Cherilus’ favor.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars: Mario Manningham-WR-Michigan
Michael C. Wright of The Florida Times Union reports that the Jaguars wish list at the Combine includes a pass rushing defensive end, a number one receiver and a safety capable of becoming an immediate starter.
Carl Kotala of Florida Today says Clemson's Phillip Merling, Florida's Derrick Harvey, Miami's Calais Campbell and USC's Lawrence Jackson could all be potential targets for the Jaguars with the 26th pick.
“They're a team, when you talk about where they can go, I think wide receiver No. 1," ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. said. "They've got a bunch of average guys. No feature, true No. 1 wide receiver. They could also use a defensive end that can get after the quarterback and a safety or a third corner."Kiper listed Michigan wide receiver Mario Manningham and Cal's Lavelle Hawkins as two players the Jaguars might target, along with Florida defensive end Derrick Harvey.
Summary: I had a hard time finding a consensus for the Jaguars, but everyone is leaning towards either a receiver or a defensive end. Mario Manningham is the highest rated prospect left among those two positions if you trust Pro Football Weekly and ESPN.

27. San Diego Chargers: Kenny Phillips-S-Miami
Brian Galliford of NFL Rumblings has this to say about the Chargers: “If Kenny Phillips lasts this long, the Chargers would have the card up to the podium in about 14 seconds. They're still looking for an elite safety, and Phillips could very well be that player.
USA Today’s Larry Weisman says “the Chargers are one of the very few teams who can simply take the best available player on draft day as their depth chart is pretty much set in stone.”
Sources suggest the Chargers may have one but not both of their safeties, Marlon McCree and Clinton Hart, back in the starting lineup next summer, this according to Pro Football Weekly. They feel Eric Weddle is ready to fill one spot and they may have their sights on another young safety in the draft.
Summary: The Chargers have few weaknesses, but safety might be the closest thing to that. If Kenny Phillips falls to the end of round one, which I believe is a possibility, San Diego would be wise to snatch him up.

28. New England Patriots (from Dallas): Fred Davis-TE-USC
Eric Scalavino, reporter for Patriots.com, says “Chances are, the Patriots will pick a tight end in April’s NFL Draft. In eight previous Drafts here in New England, head coach Bill Belichick and player personnel boss Scott Pioli have chosen a TE every year, last season being the lone exception. What’s more, injuries and age were a factor at the position for the Patriots last season.
Howard Balzer of NFL Draft Scout thinks that Fred Davis of USC will be the 1st tight end taken and could be selected within the first twenty picks.
Summary: This may be a bit of a reach, but I had a hard time finding any other info about the Patriots draft plans. This we know, the Pats love running double tight end formations and were disappointed in the lack of progress Dave Thomas made this past season. Fred Davis and Ben Watson would be difficult to defend against and give Tom Brady one more option in the passing game.

29. San Francisco (from Indianapolis): Early Doucet-WR-LSU
The 49ers own the No. 29 draft pick in the first round, and so far they have 20 or 22 players ranked with first-round grades, according to Fox Sports.com. They will prioritize the defensive line, followed by wide receiver and then offensive line on draft day.
According to Divya Parmar of The Bleacher Report, the 49ers realize their greatest need is a wide receiver. Indiana’s James Hardy and LSU’s Early Doucet are first round possibilities for the 49ers.
Chrissy Mauck of 49ers.com reports that the 49ers need to find “men for Martz” in order to progress next year. New offensive coordinator Mike Martz admittedly likes quick and speedy receivers but he said that wasn’t the first thing he planned to study during Sunday’s Combine workout for the receivers. Instead Martz said, “Just how easily they catch the ball. You can tell as a ball gets closer to them whether the fight it or not or whether they catch the ball running full speed and can adjust to the ball. Then, I will look at their times, and how fast they run."
Summary: Getting a wide receiver in the draft seems to be the consensus and Mike Martz has said what kind of receiver he is looking for. With that said, LSU’s Doucet is the closest thing to the description so we’ll plug him in here.

30. Green Bay Packers: Reggie Smith-CB-Oklahoma
Pete Doughety of the Green Bay Press Gazette says “In three drafts as the Green Bay Packers' General Manager, Ted Thompson has shown that more than most GMs, he'll follow the credo of taking the best player on his board in the first round of the NFL draft. So, when predicting whom he might take this year, almost any and all positions have to be considered, especially with the Packers selecting so late in the first round at No. 30 overall. Thompson's highest-rated prospect at any of several positions could coincide with his team's biggest needs. His greatest roster hole is at cornerback, where he needs a prospective nickel back and two quality successors for starters Al Harris (age 33) and Charles Woodson (31). Thompson also could use a young, starting-caliber tight end to team with 27-year-old Donald Lee at the team's thinnest position; an eventual successor to Chad Clifton at the critical left tackle position; a quality halfback to tandem with Ryan Grant; and a quality outside pass rusher, which is among the most difficult players to find.
According the the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers will try to address their deficiencies at cornerback early in the draft, but with that said, they will probably take the best available player regardless of position with the 30th pick.
PackersNews.com says that tight end is near the top of the Packers priority list and have been paying close attention to USC’s Fred Davis, who might be there when Green Bay picks in the first round. If Davis is not available, look for the Packers to address the cornerback position and then try to nab Texas A&M’s Martellus Bennett in round two.
Summary: I think that if Fred Davis is available the Packers will take him, but in this style of mock draft, he is already off the board. The reports have basically say that cornerback is the next option for the Packers. Reggie Smith is the versatile type of defensive back that Green Bay likes so he fits well here.

31. New England Patriots (forfeited)

32. Atlanta Falcons (from New York Giants): Brian Brohm-QB-Louisville
According to the Newark Star-Ledger, the Giants are exploring the possibility of sending the 31st overall pick in the 2008 draft to Atlanta for cornerback DeAngelo Hall.
Pro Football Weekly says The Atlanta Falcons have enough ammunition to trade back into the end of the 1st round to get a quarterback such as Brian Brohm, Andre Woodson or even Joe Flacco, should they decide to pass on Matt Ryan with the 3rd pick.
Steve Wyche of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reiterates PFW’s statement with the following: “The Falcons have plenty of options. If Matt Ryan isn’t available or they choose to pass on him with the 3rd pick, players such as Michigan's Chad Henne, Delaware's Joe Flacco, Louisville's Brian Brohm and USC's John David Booty are considered the best quarterbacks after Ryan and should be available when the Falcons pick in round two.
Summary: The Giants will ship their 1st round pick, 31st overall, to Atlanta. The Falcons will then grab their quarterback of the future, which in this case is Brian Brohm.

Go_Eagles77
02-24-2008, 08:19 PM
I like the eagles pick and nice job with this whole thing, it looks like it took a lot of work. + rep for you.

BaLLiN
02-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Like the trade for the giants, and the picks, except Mannignham probably dropped out of the first round IMO, he was supposed to be able to do 4.4's easily and got in high 4.5's.

Donkey Punch
02-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Like the trade for the giants, and the picks, except Mannignham probably dropped out of the first round IMO, he was supposed to be able to do 4.4's easily and got in high 4.5's.

I think you're right. I just saw Manningham's times after I posted this thing and he looks like a 2nd rounder now. Good catch!

bored of education
02-24-2008, 08:36 PM
a for effort

Shane P. Hallam
02-24-2008, 08:37 PM
I like the compilation man, great work.

neko4
02-24-2008, 08:40 PM
first of all i appreciate the effort. 2nd of all, nice packers pick. Though I do like some other CB's better, like Godfrey and Lee better

defensiveback23
02-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Great overall effort and even better SD selection. Ecstatic only begins to describe how happy I would be to have Phillips.

Matthew Jones
02-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Very nice job. I liked the first Patriots pick.

regoob2
02-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Wow that was long, A+ for effort and I like the Bears trade down and Gosder would be a good pick there.

Edit: I just actually read what we got in the trade down and why would we trade down 11 spots in the 1st and only get a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year. I hope they bought us a drink first.

DiG
02-24-2008, 09:50 PM
good job on this. lots of quality research.

as for the skins i like the balmer pick. nj.

Yung Flippa
02-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Donavan McNabb is not worth a Top 10 pick! Ravens aren't about to give the Eagles the #8 straight up for McNabb. We would need WAY more then that.
Okay Houston pick.

vidae
02-24-2008, 11:27 PM
I really do not like the Chiefs pick.

We're committed to Croyle right now. He had no offensive line and LJ was hurt. Can't expect him to do it all on his own.

ChiFan24
02-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Awesome effort. The Bears trade down is bad value, but I can't argue with the pick.

Donkey Punch
02-25-2008, 06:43 AM
I really do not like the Chiefs pick.

We're committed to Croyle right now. He had no offensive line and LJ was hurt. Can't expect him to do it all on his own.

I don't like the pick either, but this mock draft isn't my opinion, it's the opinion of national writers and such.

Gay Ork Wang
02-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Give the Jags Devin Thomas, i believe toon said he is the kind of WR the Jags like

A Perfect Score
02-25-2008, 08:19 AM
this makes me sad inside...:( donovan mcnabb is not worth a top 10 pick. Maybe a swap of first round picks and then we get mcnabb, that a much more far trade. ew this would make me sick if it acutally happened. We better get lito shepperd if we dont get their 1st rounder, apparently he is out of philly anyways.

gdamac
02-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Very nice work. Good Raider pick. Don't let that 2 and 235 years thing throw you, how long had it been since the Raiders took a QB? and they have needed one in the past just like last year. Also the sportline picks is pure speculation, and the Jerry Mc report is hearsay. Ellis developed a good relationship with the Raiders DL coach, so I wouldn't rule him out. The Raiders love to play it close to the vest and float smoke, of course Al isn't at the combine this year so maybe people are being more open without him breathing down their necks. I wish the Raiders were that easy to read. As a Buckeye fan, I would love Gholston, and Al Davis will love him too. Personally though I wouldn't mind if they reached for either Clady or Ellis there. Great work, really did some homework.

gdamac
02-25-2008, 08:20 AM
this makes me sad inside...

Just look at your sig, that's what I am doing and I feel great!

Yatta!
02-25-2008, 09:44 AM
I think this is quite realistic i could see a couple of teams trade back into the bottom part of round 1 to snag a QB like Brohm or Flacco. Also love the Packers pick. Only thing I have an issue with is Phillips falling that far, can't see him getting past the Vikings

vidae
02-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't like the pick either, but this mock draft isn't my opinion, it's the opinion of national writers and such.

Fair enough. You did a great job explaining everything though. :) Great job on the overall mock.

FinChase
02-25-2008, 12:55 PM
'A' for all the work you put in on it. However, I really hope the Cowboys don't trade away that much for McFadden when there are so many other intriguing RBs in the draft this year.

hugegmenfan
02-25-2008, 03:28 PM
I like the Giants-Falcons trade, i like it alot :)

Finsfan79
02-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Very nice write up, I think Chris long is too small for 3-4 DE, I would go with Jake long but interesting thoughts I like the mock overall dude

thebow305
02-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Very nice write up, I think Chris long is too small for 3-4 DE, I would go with Jake long but interesting thoughts I like the mock overall dude

That's why he would be a 3-4 OLB. Did you see him at the combine today. What a beast!

Great phins pick!

Crazy_Chris
02-25-2008, 06:20 PM
This was a good read, I enjoyed it and the Vikings pick was excellent.

gsorace
02-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Jets pick makes no sense.

Bills2083
02-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Good Bills pick

BigJohn98
02-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Terrible Jags pick.

Donkey Punch
02-25-2008, 09:01 PM
This was a good read, I enjoyed it and the Vikings pick was excellent.

Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun too.

BeerBaron
02-25-2008, 10:23 PM
while i like the idea of trading down and still filling our need at RT, i think we got too little in return.

im the first guy to tell you that the trade value chart is asinine as all hell but this in this situation, i think the bears did get too little.....

i think seattles first and second would have done it in this situation. maybe a late round pick too...even if its a future one

id much rather stay there and get a guy who could be a franchise LT in the future in chris williams

Thunder&Lightning
02-26-2008, 06:50 AM
AMAZING SD PICK! if phillips is available its early xmas for the bolts.