PDA

View Full Version : With the 20th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

bigbuc
02-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Who you got right now?

Caddy
02-26-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm high on Phillip Merling at the moment. I really think he would be a good addition on the line and would provide a steady force opposite Gaines Adams.

I'm also one of the few still high on Desean Jackson despite his stature.

TRJ997
02-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I can't make a decision until we've made some FA moves. I think we are going to end up signing Justin Smith from CIN, so I'm not sure DE is the direction we need to go in the 1st round. I'm leaning toward DT or LOT based on need, but there may not be appropriate value for either of those positions at 20.

I'm all over Mike Jenkins if he slips, though.

zCaddyz
02-26-2008, 12:52 PM
1rd. Dre moore
2rd.Brandon Flowers
3rd. Eddie Royle

TRJ997
02-27-2008, 08:19 AM
1rd. Dre moore
2rd.Brandon Flowers
3rd. Eddie Royle

I could get into the Dre Moore pick. He seems to have risen up the boards to the 2nd round range, but could definitely make it to the 1st. Its unlikely that he will be available for us in the 2nd unless we trade up. Do you like him that much more than Balmer? I'd love for us to get a dominant DT in this draft, but I'm afraid there won't one available at 20.

Captain Fear
02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Given what's available in FA this year (DEs and DTs), along with the loss of B Kelly, right now I'm thinking we should go with a CB in the first round.

I know the old myth goes that the Bucs can find starting CB's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but that was back in the day when they were the only team running a tampa-2 defense. Now there's way more competition for those players.

We're going into this season with Barber and Buchanon as starters. Now what happens in nickle formations when Barber's blitzing? Who do we have to cover top wideouts on the outside? What happens if one of our starters gets injured? This year, I don't think its worth the risk waiting till the 2nd or 3rd rnd to fill such a huge need. Last year our secondary sucked down the stretch, and with the lack of CBs available in FA, I don't see us making an impact at that position anywhere other than in the draft.

I liked how Talib looked during the combine and i think he could be a stud Cover-2 CB who should be available at 20.

StaticGator
02-27-2008, 05:08 PM
I could get into the Dre Moore pick. He seems to have risen up the boards to the 2nd round range, but could definitely make it to the 1st. Its unlikely that he will be available for us in the 2nd unless we trade up. Do you like him that much more than Balmer? I'd love for us to get a dominant DT in this draft, but I'm afraid there won't one available at 20.

I'd so much rather Moore in the 1st than Balmer.

zCaddyz
02-27-2008, 05:45 PM
I havent seen much of balmer, but i have seen plenty of moore and he looks like he has a fast first step and take over hovan

StaticGator
02-28-2008, 06:04 AM
I havent seen much of balmer, but i have seen plenty of moore and he looks like he has a fast first step and take over hovan

I've seen Balmer play in person and at no point did I think people would be talking about him as a 1st rounder 2-3 months later. If the Bucs require a DT in the 1st, at least reach on someone with some pretty impressive size and measurables like Sims or Moore. I just don't see what Balmer brings to the table - he's undersized, not particularly fast, and not particularly productive.

etk
03-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm high on Phillip Merling at the moment. I really think he would be a good addition on the line and would provide a steady force opposite Gaines Adams.

I'm also one of the few still high on Desean Jackson despite his stature.

Merling is 5th on my list of targeted defensive ends. He's the worst pass rusher of the bunch and that's what matters most in our Cover 2.

Jackson would be so terribly useless in our offense, just give it up already. We're not drafting him unless Gruden pulls a 180 and runs a spread.

I have a 4-man group heading who I want at 20. Calais Campbell, Derrick Harvey, Dre Moore and Trevor Laws. Campbell looks overweight and I'd really like to see him drop back down to a chiseled 275, otherwise I wouldn't approve of drafting him. Harvey is another question mark because I'm not sure he's a better LDE than White. Moore and Laws are studs but I value DE a bit higher ATM.

Caddy
03-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Merling is 5th on my list of targeted defensive ends. He's the worst pass rusher of the bunch and that's what matters most in our Cover 2.

Jackson would be so terribly useless in our offense, just give it up already. We're not drafting him unless Gruden pulls a 180 and runs a spread.

I have a 4-man group heading who I want at 20. Calais Campbell, Derrick Harvey, Dre Moore and Trevor Laws. Campbell looks overweight and I'd really like to see him drop back down to a chiseled 275, otherwise I wouldn't approve of drafting him. Harvey is another question mark because I'm not sure he's a better LDE than White. Moore and Laws are studs but I value DE a bit higher ATM.

I'm pretty sure I'm capable of having my own opinions etk and I'm quite happy with it too.

etk
03-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm capable of having my own opinions etk and I'm quite happy with it too.

Most definitely....but not DeSean Jackson ;). I've seen so many DJax threads on various Bucs boards and media articles that it makes me really sick. My hatred for Jackson is so serious that I'm not sure I wouldn't "jump ship" if we drafted him. Same thing with Chucky-Andre Woodson and Scott-Kentwan Balmer.

I'm just not a fan of Merling. He never impressed me when I watched Clemson (Gaines Adams & Ricky Sapp played a part). He's exceptional at the point of attack but very raw as a pass rusher with mediocre athleticism. I've always thought his best projection was in a 3-4. I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him but Harvey and Campbell have higher ceilings....especially as pass rushers. This is all irrelevant though because my Merling response was simply a statement.

Devin Thomas is my next pick BTW in case we don't sign a decent receiver.

chcwarriorpoet
03-05-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm with you etk on Merling and Jackson. I'm not high on them and I don't think the Bucs will draft them. The Bucs like guys in round 1 that have had more than one productive year at college (ex. Cadillac, Davin, Gaines). That would make Merling and Balmer less likely. I don't think they'll draft Jackson because of his attitude. They don't want to mess with the good chemistry the team had by bringing in a "me" receiver.

At 20 I like Mike Jenkins the most followed by Derrick Harvey. After that I'd be happy with Talib, DRC, Laws, or Moore. I'm sick of all the mocks that have us drafting Jackson.

etk
03-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Good point on Jackson's attitude. Our offense is not geared for me-first receivers because we spread the ball around so much.

As much as I like Jenkins and DRC, I would be shocked to see us draft a Cover 2 corner in the 1st. Kiffin would rather go DLine and Gruden would rather go offense. Harvey, Laws and Moore would be terrific. I don't like Talib very much. While our Cover 2 would cover many of his flaws, he's not a very physical or supportive corner when it comes to the run. He looks like a poorer Juran Bolden to me and I wouldn't touch him until the 2nd day.

neko4
03-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Do any of yall like Hardy?
Ive loved the guy since last year and think he will be available at 20

etk
03-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I like Hardy, I think he will be an effective weapon as a #2 receiver, but we don't need another big possession type. Hardy is too much like Stovall, but maybe a bit quicker and more agile.

Caddy
03-05-2008, 09:15 PM
It sure is different picking at #20 this year than picking at #4 last year. You could easily make a legitimate case for drafting any of over a dozen prospects this year. You have your receivers (Hardy, Manningham, Jackson, Thomas, Kelly etc), D-Lineman (Balmer, Moore, Laws, Harvey, Campbel, Merling), DB's (Talib, Jenkins) plus a few others I'm sure will be considered (Brohm, Baker, etc).

It is going to make for an interesting draft day. I'm pretty sure every one of us will have our own favourite prospects and we will all be effected differently by the draft.

Anyone keen for a Tampa only AIM/MSN/MIRC chat on draft day this year? Last year we had one but there were a ton of chumps there being extremely annoying.

etk
03-05-2008, 10:14 PM
No outsiderz....that's for sure.

I love this quote on Kentwan Balmer from the PFW Draft preview:

"Rarely has so much been said about a player that has done so little"

He is NOT an option for us.....just because Scott says so doesn't make it right. If you watched North Carolina you probably wouldn't notice him because he literally does nothing.

Caddy
03-05-2008, 10:32 PM
I 100% agree with you etk about Kentwan Balmer and that doesn't happen a whole lot around here. Nothing about him really impresses me and if we pick him 20th overall I will strongly consider harming myself physically.

etk
03-06-2008, 02:48 PM
I didn't really voice my opinion on Balmer, I was just repeating a more respectable source. I was looking forward to seeing him at the Senior Bowl to see what the fuss is about but then he got hurt. Like Glenn Dorsey, I was never that impressed with him on the field, so missing the SB hurt them in my books. Laws and Moore were impressive on the field and at SB practice so it's an easy choice.

Tampa 2 4 life
03-06-2008, 05:56 PM
I didn't really voice my opinion on Balmer, I was just repeating a more respectable source. I was looking forward to seeing him at the Senior Bowl to see what the fuss is about but then he got hurt. Like Glenn Dorsey, I was never that impressed with him on the field, so missing the SB hurt them in my books. Laws and Moore were impressive on the field and at SB practice so it's an easy choice.

Here are my thoughts on Balmer:

USF's Freshman LG dominated him in his first start ever filling in for injury.

etk
03-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Here are my thoughts on Balmer:

USF's Freshman LG dominated him in his first start ever filling in for injury.

But he's 6'5 310 and athletic! He must be good!

Balmer's working out with the same idiot that ruined Calais Campbell and Bruce Davis' draft stocks. That has to count for something as well.

StaticGator
03-12-2008, 02:37 PM

He is NOT an option for us.....just because Scott says so doesn't make it right. If you watched North Carolina you probably wouldn't notice him because he literally does nothing.

It's like all the analysts are trying to one-up eachother and show how smart they are for seeing something when Balmer didn't do much on the stat sheet and doesn't bring anything to the table physically. I don't see why Moore isn't considered hands down the 3rd best DT.

Tampa 2 4 life
03-12-2008, 02:48 PM
With the 20th selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, The Tampa Bay Buccaneers Pick(According to T24L's Probably stupid prediction)...

http://media.live5news.com/images/merling.jpg

Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

etk
03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
I think we'll go with one of the Florida DEs, Campbell or Harvey. Merling isn't a good enough pass rusher to merit a 1st in a Cover 2.

YoJoeBucsFan
03-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Mike Jenkins.

dbtb135
03-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Good point on Jackson's attitude. Our offense is not geared for me-first receivers because we spread the ball around so much.

Is any offense, aside from Tice's brilliant 'Randy Ratio' O, geared towards me-first WRs?

dbtb135
03-15-2008, 12:42 AM

Thats beautiful man, truly beautiful.

Canadian_kid16
03-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Thats beautiful man, truly beautiful.

did you just compliment yourself?:confused:

sprawwl
03-30-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm not a big fan of Balmer or Jackson... As a Gators fan, I wouldn't mind at all if they took Harvey in the 1st round if he were there, though I freely concede that I'm not objective. One guy I find myself becoming gradually more partial to is Pat Sims, the DT from Auburn, although we might be able to get him in the 2nd.

dbtb135
04-01-2008, 03:58 AM
did you just compliment yourself?:confused:

Did you just make absolutely no sense? Yeah, I'd say so...

I agreed with another poster who quoted an "expert". How in the world do you draw that conclusion?

Canadian_kid16
04-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Did you just make absolutely no sense? Yeah, I'd say so...

I agreed with another poster who quoted an "expert". How in the world do you draw that conclusion?

I honestly don't know...but I was sure that etk was replaced with your username on that one post you quoted :confused:

dbtb135
04-01-2008, 07:07 PM
I honestly don't know...but I was sure that etk was replaced with your username on that one post you quoted :confused:

Heh, there's where I got lost then. I couldn't understand how you got that.

Addict
04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Did you guys catch that guy from some newspaper or website on NFLN saying the bucs might go Donnie Avery?

etk
04-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Did you guys catch that guy from some newspaper or website on NFLN saying the bucs might go Donnie Avery?

I could see us taking him in the 2nd or 3rd. He's the closest thing to Galloway in this draft.

duane75
04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
well at the 20th pick we are in a position to take the best player available either wr,cb or dl as long as we dont reach who knows chuckie might go qb if brohm is available