PDA

View Full Version : Post Combine Mock w/explainations

darnik44two
02-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Please, serious replies only. Also, don't get bent out of shape if I favor a certain player than you do at the same position. ie Phillip Merling over Derrick Harvey.

Thank You.

1. Miami Dolphins - Sedrick Ellis, NT, Southern California

Ellis seems to make the most sense to me. Nose tackles are hard to come by and Ellis certainly looks the part. He was dominant at the Senior Bowl and backed up that performance at the combine. He comes from a winnning program at USC and is a competitor. Chris Long or Vernon Gholston don't make sense to me because of the money they would have tied up at the LB position with Jason Taylor and Joey Porter already having big contracts. I'm also unsure how all three would get on the field at the same time. I believe the Matt Ryan rumors are just that, rumors and a possible ploy to get the Atlanta Falcons to try to move up. Jake Long should get some serious consideration here.

2. St. Louis Rams - Jake Long, OT, Michigan

There are several direction the Rams could go here. Jake Long showed he's the real deal at the combine and the Rams have a real need at LT with Orlando Pace's HOF career coming to an end. The Rams have invested enough high picks along the DL to make me rule out Glenn Dorsey, Chris Long, and Vernon Gholston. There could be a slim chance they go with Matt Ryan here given the fact they were considering Jay Cutler two years ago. Marc Bulger is good enough and young enough that his job is secure for the near future.

3. Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

This is getting closer and closer to being a lock. You can't win in the NFL without a viable starter a QB and the closet is bare for the Falcons. Arthur Blank came right out and said a QB would be the pick, and there's not much argument Ryan is this years top QB. Ryan has been quoted saying Atlanta is a great city and Blank is a good owner. Sure he's going to lobby to be a top 5 pick, I'll be surprised if Ryan isn't their starter next year. I'm sure Darren McFadden will get a look and provided he has a clean bill of health Glenn Dorsey will too. If the Rams pass on Jake Long, things could get interesting here. I could see the Raiders and Chiefs getting in a bidding war to move up.

4. Oakland Raiders - Darren McFadden, HB, Arkansas

This just seems like an Al Davis type pick. Davis loves speed, and after McFadden's 4.33 40 at the combine McFadden could be a Raider. This might not be the most sensible pick for the Raiders, but after spending last years first pick on JaMarcus Russell the Raiders need to begin building around him. The closet will be full at the RB position and I'm not sure why NFLN calls RB the Raiders biggest need, but this seems a very likely pick. I'm sure Chris Long will get a very long look here, but defense isn't the problem in Oakland.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - Glenn Dorsey, DT, Louisiana State

It's going to be interesting how the medical reports play out for Dorsey, but if everything checks out he's too good for the Chiefs to pass on. Not the biggest need the Chiefs have, but that's not what it's all about. It's about getting better players. Dorsey could help tremendously in the Chiefs attempt to play some defense and stop the run. Line him up next to Jared Allen, and opposing offensive coordinators will have nightmares. If Dorsey doesn't check out medically, don't be surprised to see the Chiefs reach for a tackle here and take Ryan Clady.

6. New York Jets - Vernon Gholston, OLB, Ohio State

After flipping a coin here to choose between Vernon Gholston and Chris Long, I think Gholston gets the nod because he might be a slightly better OLB prospect and has had experience standing up. If the first 5 picks play out like I have here, I couldn't immagine the Jets taking anyone other than Gholston or Long. If Darren McFadden is still on the board here this pick could get interesting. Not only would McFadden entice the Jets, this could be where teams begin to consider moving up to take McFadden.

7. New England Patriots - Chris Long, OLB/DE

Long really seems like a Patriots type of player to me. First and foremost he's a football player. With the Patriots defensive scheme and philosophies they would have several options on how to best utilize his talents. We might even see him catching touchdown passes for the Patriots al la Mike Vrabel. If Vernon Gholston and Long are both somehow still on the board, they may have the same dilema as the Jets. If that's the case, Long seems a better fit to me for what the Patriots look for.

8. Baltimore Ravens - Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech

Not my top corner, but I think he will be a lot of teams top corner. Flowers physical style of play would be a good fit for the Ravens defense. The Ravens preference in which CB they like the best could vary here. The Ravens might be a team best served to move down here, I don't see a lot of good options for them here. Probably too high to take a quarterback, I don't see any receivers worth a top 10 pick. Keith Rivers could be a sleeper pick here although I'm not certain he would be an ideal fit to their defense.

9. Cincinnati Bengals - Keith Rivers, OLB/ILB, Southern California

Best case scenario for the Bengals in my opinion. Last year they were playing defensive linemen at linebacker and by seasons end the cupboard was bare at the LB position. The Bengals have struggled to stop the run and Rivers could be a move in the right direction. I also think with all the drama the Bengals have had over the last couple years, I think it's important they get players with a winning, competitive attitude. Rivers coming from USC fits that bill in addition to fitting a need. Rivers is also worth every bit of a top 10 pick, and given the right situation one of my early favorites to be next years defensive ROY.

10. New Orleans Saints - Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State

Not the most exciting or popular pick here, but a sensible one non the less. The Saints have some issues along the offensive line that includes skill and depth. Add to that the inability for the Saints to establish a running game, Clady makes good sense to me. This could be the type of pick that could help the '06 pick of Reggie Bush to begin to pay dividends. Cornerback might be the most glaring need, but it's also a very deep position in this years draft class. Local product Chevis Jackson could be a very good 2nd round pick for them.

11. Buffalo Bills - Dan Connor, OLB/ILB, Penn State

Maybe a slight reach here, but the Bills have shown they aren't affraid to reach a bit. They might be best served to try to deal down here, and I'm sure they'll expore their option. They fell in love with Paul Posluszny last year and nearly took him in the first, so I'm sure they love Connor as well. They need an OLB, and why not reunite Connor with Posluszny and solidify the LB positon for years to come? Receiver might be the biggest need the Bills have, but the class is deep and nobody stands out enough to warrent a pick this high.

12. Denver Broncos - Rashard Mendenhall, HB, Illinois

Not very characteristic for the Broncos to spend a first on a runningback, but immagine the possibilities with Mendenhall in that offense. The Broncos have had a lot of success running the ball, but have lacked a game-breaker at the position. This will no doubt be an interesting pick. The Broncos like to wheel and deal on draft day and very likely will attempt to do. Kenny Phillips, Kentwan Balmer, a corner, or Ryan Clady (if still on the board) should all get some consideration here. This also could be a spot where we see the first receiver taken, although like I stated with the Bills pick I'm not sure the value matches the slot.

13. Carolina Panthers - Kenny Phillips, S, Miami

Good pick here for the Panthers. Safety is a huge need, and Phillips is a boom or bust prospect with a very high ceiling. Phillips can easily step in and start immediatly and will help greatly in solidifying the secondary. An offensive tackle should also get a lot of consideration here as well. If Ryan Clady is still on the board, this could be a tough call for the Panthers.

14. Chicago Bears - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

I know this pick will get some arguments here. Brohm may be a slight reach here, but only by a little in my opinion. I fully expect the Bears to try to deal down here, but for now I'm giving them Brohm. The Bears just signed Rex Grossman to a one year deal and I think that says a lot. The Bears have lacked a viable starter at QB for a long time now and I thinks it's time for change. Many feel they may try to grab a guy like Chad Henne in the 2nd or possibly get Brohm in the 2nd. I feel the need at QB is too big for them to gamble on who may or may not be available in the 2nd. If they are able to move down and pick up another 2nd round pick maybe they do gamble. If they are forced to make a selection at #14, I feel Brohm should and will be the pick. Brohm could be a steal here. His production fell off his senior year, but he was also forced to learn a new system.

15. Detroit Lions - Jonathan Stewart, HB, Oregon

I think Stewart will be too good to pass on here. I personally give Stewart a top 10 grade and rank him as my #2 back. His size, speed, and vision all add up to what I expect to be a great NFL running back. Cornerback is the bigger need, but Stewart is a better value. Both cornerback and runningback are very deep positions, but I feel the RB position drops off after McFadden, Stewart, and Mendenhall. A guy like cornerback Patrick Lee could be available in the 2nd round.

16. Arizona Cardinals - Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona

With the 3 top RB's gone, a cornerback seems to be logical here. Many will argue Cason isn't worth this pick, and I don't understand why. As a technician I put Cason at the head of the class. He's silky smooth in man coverage and possesses great ball skills. Again, this will come down to team preference of which CB to take. I feel they couldn't go wrong with the local guy in Cason. This pick should be popular with the fans which isn't really a consideration, but a definite plus. Chris Williams, Kentwan Balmer, another CB should all get a close look by the Cardinals here.

17. Minnesota Vikings - Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

Defensive end was already a need prior to the unfortunate happenings with Keneche Udeze, so now it's become a glaring need. Great value here with Merling, many feel he's worth a top 10 pick. The Vikings would get a well rounded DE in Merling with his ability to play the run and get after the quarterback. This could be a wild card pick here, who knows what to expect from the Vikings on draft day. Part of me is inclined to expect them to make a blunder here, so maybe it won't be Merling. Offensive tackle and cornerback could be a posible pick here as well as a receiver.

18. Houston Texans - Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy

Many compare McKelvin to Texans cornerback and former first round pick Dunta Robinson, so why not fill a need and get a guy who's a good fit. McKelvin could be a steal if he's still on the board, many feel he's a top 10 pick. McKelvin paired with Robinson could be one of the league's top CB tandems for year to come. McKelvin's biggest knock is his ability to catch the ball, but he get's his hands on the ball as much as anybody. Felix Jones will also be a guy to keep an eye on here, but I'm not sure he's separated himself enough to persuade the Texans to take a back here instead of a little later on. Their absence of a 2nd round pick makes them suspect to attempt dealing down.

19. Philadelphia Eagles - DeSean Jackson, WR/KR, California

Receiver is a place the Eagles need some help, and Jackson is the type of playmaker they could really use. In addition to bolstering the receiving core and adding a needed game-breaker to the offense, Jackson fills a need as a return guy as well. I've come to realize though, this pick will totally depend on who Andy Reid has a "man-crush" on this year. The Eagles have made it a habit to overdraft guys, but that wouldn't be the case with Jackson. Based on my board Jackson lines up perfectly at the 19th pick. History suggests the Eagles may try to deal down here as well. Maybe Andy Reid like Chad Henne??

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Kentwan Balmer, DT/DE, North Carolina

I'm sure the Bucs would prefer DeSean Jackson here, and if he's available should be the pick. If not, Balmer would be a solid pick here. I'm big on teams taking picks to help recent top picks, and Balmer could help increase the value and productivity of last year's top pick Gaines Adams. The need at receiver could outweigh the need at DT though and ultimately could be their pick. From a value standpoint, I don't see a receiver who outweighs Balmer though. Chris Williams should get a long hard look as well.

21. Washington Redskins - Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

The Redskins have a group of smurfs at the WR position, and Sweed is anything but a smurf. The pick of Sweed here should go a long way in aiding the development of former first round pick Jason Campbell. This could also be the missing piece of the puzzle for the Redskins who have struggled in the red zone to make the step to be legitimate contenders. They could very well choose to address the DL here with Calais Campbell or Derrick Harvey. Kentwan Balmer if available should also get a look. I also think cornerback could be a strong possibility as well.

22. Dallas Cowboys - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee St.

It's beginning to look like Rodgers-Cromartie may very well be long gone by this pick, but if not I'd call him a lock. After his performance at the Senior Bowl followed by the combine, he may be the most intriguing prospect in this class and probably has the highest ceiling. Jerry Jones loves speed, and the Cowboys have room for improvement in the secondary. Rodgers-Cromartie could be long gone though, he might end up a top 10 pick.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers - Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

This could be an interesting pick here. Obviously the Steelers have a need at the tackle position, but the recent franchise tag placed on tackle Max Starks has lessened the immediate need there. The Steelers have lacked a bigger physical type receiver since losing Plaxico Burress to free agency so much that Ben Roethlisberger put in a request for a tall receiver. While Thomas isn't the tallest of the "big receivers," at nearly 6-3 his ability to run after the catch and ability in the return game makes him the best possible fit. Among the Steelers biggest needs is a viable return man. Prior to the start of last season they traded for Allen Rossum (no longer there), and used Najeh Davenport as a kick returner. If Chris Williams is on the board, this decision will be tough but I expect Thomas to be a Steeler.

24. Tennessee Titans - Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

In a division shared with the Colts, you need to be solid at the CB spot. With PacMan Jones' future uncertain, it may be imparative that the Titans find a lock down corner if they hope to compete with the Colts any time soon. The Titans may choose to address the CB spot via free agency, in which case a receiver could be an option here. If Limas Sweed is still available, I think he will get a lot of consideration. Also a tight end could be an option as well. A sleeper pick here could be Oklahoma ILB Curtis Lofton.

25. Seattle Seahawks - Felix Jones, HB, Arkansas

The Seahawks are one of the tougher teams to forecast, but there's no question they need to get the running game back to where it once was. Is Shaun Alexander washed up? I don't know that answer, but I do know he has a lot of miles on him. Felix Jones could be the perfect contrast to Alexander's running style. Tight end can't be ruled out here either.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars - Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida

For the second straight year the Jags go with a Gator for their first pick. The Jags lack a true pass rushing DE, and Harvey instantly helps their already solid defense. This is another tough pick to figure. I think the versatility of Oklahoma CB/S Reggie Smith will intrigue them much the same last years pick Reggie Nelson did. Like just about every pick in the second half of the first round, I wouldn't rule out Chris Williams if available.

27. San Diego Chargers - Reggie Smith, S/CB, Oklahoma

There are so many routes the Chargers could take here. Reggie Smith is a versatile guy who could help the Chargers secondary in so many ways. A unit that used to be the weak link would all of the sudden be a strong point. I could also see them going with Smith's teamate from Oklahoma here and select ILB Curtis Lofton. I also wouldn't rule out Dre Moore who's versatility would greatly help their DL. Moore could be plugged in at DE or NT which are both areas of need and a harder area to fill later on in the draft.

28. Dallas Cowboys - Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt

If Williams is still on the board, he could be the biggest steal of the first round. Williams has top 15 value but could possibly fall this far. The Cowboys lack depth at the OT position and could land a future all-pro LT here in Williams. The versatile Dre Moore could get a look as well as Reggie Smith if still available or the Cowboys could look to add a receiver here. Jamaal Charles could be a sleeper pick here as well. Honestly though, does anyone expect the Cowboys to make a pick at #22 and #28...I know I don't. Chances are Jerry Jones will strike a deal on draft day and screw up everyone's mock draft.

29. San Francisco 49ers - James Hardy, WR, Indiana

A big physical receiver and viable weapon in the red zone could be what the doctor ordered for the 49ers. Alex Smith has struggled and needs more weapons at receiver. With new O.C. Mike Martz in town, I think a receiver can totally be expected here. If they choose to go another route, help along the OL or DL may be in order.

30. Green Bay Packers - Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas

After running well at the combine, talib might not be an option here. If he is still available, the packers will be all over him. His ability to play press coverage makes him a good fit for the Packers. With all of the talented corners in this class, the Packers should have no problem landing a good one here if they so choose that route. Don't rule out Shawn Crable or Quentin Groves here. The Packers may also choose to beef up the OL here as well. Branden Albert could be a great pick if all the top corners are taken.

31. New York Giants - Branden Albert, OG/OT, Virginia

The Giants had a solid OL last year, which played a big part in them winning the Super Bowl. That said, depth is an issue and any team can stand improvement along the OL. Albert is an intriguing prospect who's versatile and athletic enough to play guard or tackle. Albert says his strength is as a pass blocker, but when you put on the film his ability as a run blocker stands out. Ultimately I would expect Albert to fit in at LT and allow Diel to move back inside. What a guy like Albert would give the Giants is flexability, and his versatility could allow them to carry 9 offensive linemen and free up a roster spot. Don't be surprised if the Giants deal down here. With some of the talent still on the board, teams will be calling with offers.

Best Available

Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt
Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
Curtis Lofton, ILB, Oklahoma
Erin Henderson, OLB/ILB, Maryland
Dre Moore, DT/DE, Maryland
Sam Baker, OT/OG, Southern California
Shawn Crable, OLB/DE, Michigan
Quentin Groves, OLB/DE, Auburn
Jamaal Charles, HB, Texas
Pat Sims, DT/DE, Auburn
Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan
Martin Rucker, TE, Missouri
Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
Lawrence Jackson, DE/OLB, Southern California
Fred Davis, TE, Southern California
Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame
DaJuan Morgan, S, N.C. State
Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn
Chris Johnson, HB/KR, East Carolina
Phillip Wheeler, OLB/ILB, Georgia Tech
Early Doucet, WR, Louisiana State
Chevis Jackson, CB, Louisiana State
Ray Rice, HB, Rutgers
Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State
Carl Nicks, OT/OG, Nebraska
Charles Godfrey, CB/S, Iowa
Joe Flacco, QB, Deleware
John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame
Thomas DeCoud, S, California
Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee
Ahtyba Rubin, DT, Iowa State
Martellus Bennett, TE, Texas A&M

Dr. Gonzo
02-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Greatest pick of all time for the Vikings. I saw that pick and cried tears of joy. I am now part of the Darnik fan club and I greatly respect your opinion. Kepp up the amazing evaluation of talent as you are the best evaluator and poster here. Everything I said before was said out of jealousy.

summond822
02-26-2008, 02:58 PM
jeff otah fell out of the first round?

If he's there at 25 the seahawks will almost have to pick him there. I believe that he would fit pittsburgh better though.

darnik44two
02-26-2008, 03:06 PM
jeff otah fell out of the first round?

If he's there at 25 the seahawks will almost have to pick him there. I believe that he would fit pittsburgh better though.

It's hard to put a finger on Otah's draft stock after the combine. He still has a good shot to be in the first round, I do think he raised some questions at the combine. His 40 was slow, but that doesn't really matter. His latteral movement and how high he was during on field drills I think may cause teams to shy away. He may not be a good fit immediatly as a LT and may need to start his career at RT. I had him in my top 15 going into the combine, and will still have him in my top 30 when I finalize everything. I just have a hard time seeing any team take him over Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, and of course Jake Long. I also think teams will like Sam Baker and Branden Albert's versatility and wouldn't be shocked if they went ahead of Otah.

BaLLiN
02-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Good value pick for giants

vidae
02-26-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Dorsey myself. I guess if we're in that situation I hope that we trade down and get some extra picks than take him.

Good mock though!

art vandelay
02-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Best thing to do for the Bills at #11 in that situation is to trade down. Connor is an OK pick, I'm not too fond of him.

darnik44two
Good value pick for giants

I think so, and it's a sensible pick too although not all Giants fans will agree. If one of the top corners was still there then they would have to get some consideration. The Giants do a good job of implementing role players. A versatile linemen like Albert could save a roster spot which could be a big Diel.

Joeyjr09
Sedrick Ellis? Did you even watch the combine? Gholston, Long or Long please.

darnik44two
02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Sedrick Ellis? Did you even watch the combine? Gholston, Long or Long please.

If the Dolphins take Gholston or Chris Long, how do they get 3 OLB's (Porter, Taylor, Gholston/Long) on the field at the same time? Also, how do they afford 3 gigantic contracts at the OLB position. I've not understood the talk of them taking a OLB #1.

I do agree Jake Long is a very possible pick, and possibly the safest pick.

darnik44two
02-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Best thing to do for the Bills at #11 in that situation is to trade down. Connor is an OK pick, I'm not too fond of him.

For sure it would be in their best interest to trade down, just a question weather they will be able too. I wonder how much the shortened time limit (10 minutes) will affect first round trades on draft day. Connor could be had later on, but they liked Poz so I know they like Connor. Maybe they can go for the trifecta and draft Sean Lee next year. It would be an interesting scenario.

Matthew Jones
02-26-2008, 03:43 PM
I love the Patriots pick!

BigBlueCrew56
02-26-2008, 03:56 PM
If the Dolphins take Gholston or Chris Long, how do they get 3 OLB's (Porter, Taylor, Gholston/Long) on the field at the same time? Also, how do they afford 3 gigantic contracts at the OLB position. I've not understood the talk of them taking a OLB #1.

I do agree Jake Long is a very possible pick, and possibly the safest pick.

I have put up this same argument many times Darnik in regards to the Dolphins selecting Chris Long. A name that you forgot on your list of OLB's for the Phins is Matt Roth. I cant beleive that Phins fans have totally forgot about him. Another sleeper is Abraham Wright there 7th round pick out of Colorado who surprised many in last years preseason before getting hurt.

OLB Jason Taylor
OLB Joey Porter
OLB Matt Roth
OLB Abraham Wright

That's 4 solid 3-4 OLB's. Now if the Phins decide to trade J.T. then the ideal pick would be Chris Long. They cant release Joey because of all the guaranteed money. Jason Taylor is the odd man out being that he is 34. I cant see Parcells taking Matt Ryan because having wet behind the ears QB's on the roster isnt what Bill usually goes for. I see them trading for a veteran or signing a Todd Collins type. Jake Long for me is the obvious pick because it will make the Dolphins line young and dominant. Long-Satele-Carey going into the next 10 years.

I have heard that the Phins are interested in signing Flozell but what creeps into my head is that Flozell is 33 years old. So when the Phins are ready to compete he is going to be 36-37???? Just doesnt make sense for him to be in a rebuilding process and it doesnt make sense for the Phins because the whole idea is to get younger.

BigBlueCrew56
02-26-2008, 03:58 PM
I dont see Parcells taking Sedrick Ellis with the #1 pick of the draft. If you want a pick that makes more sense then look no further then Jake Long. Ellis didnt do anything at the combine to justify a #1 in this draft. If Taylor is dealt then Chris is the pick. If Taylor stays then I cant see them passing up on Jake.

Quagmire
02-26-2008, 04:01 PM
As a Miami fan, a definite no to Ellis. I think the argument on not taking one of the OLB's will be a moot point because they will trade Jason Taylor this offseason. While I am a Gholston guy, I think the pick will come down to Chris Long or Matt Ryan with Long winning out. The best scenario would be a trade down, but that is starting to look like a long shot.....

BigBlueCrew56
02-26-2008, 04:03 PM
2. St. Louis Rams - Jake Long, OT, Michigan

There are several direction the Rams could go here. Jake Long showed he's the real deal at the combine and the Rams have a real need at LT with Orlando Pace's HOF career coming to an end. The Rams have invested enough high picks along the DL to make me rule out Glenn Dorsey, Chris Long, and Vernon Gholston. There could be a slim chance they go with Matt Ryan here given the fact they were considering Jay Cutler two years ago. Marc Bulger is good enough and young enough that his job is secure for the near future.

Orlando Pace is not retiring so that means Pace and Barron are the L and R tackles respectively. With this very deep draft they can take a project LT in the 3rd round to develop behind Pace.

If you look at the roster for the Rams there most pressing need is for a pass rusher in the mold of Long or Gholston. Little is done and Hall has one more year left on his deal.

I think the Rams take

1A Chris Long
1B Vernon Gholston
1C Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis

I listed tackle at the end because with Glover,Ryan, and Carriker there defensive rotation is rather solid. They also have Claude Wroten from LSU as there project player.

BigBlueCrew56
02-26-2008, 04:08 PM
As a Miami fan, a definite no to Ellis. I think the argument on not taking one of the OLB's will be a moot point because they will trade Jason Taylor this offseason. While I am a Gholston guy, I think the pick will come down to Chris Long or Matt Ryan with Long winning out. The best scenario would be a trade down, but that is starting to look like a long shot.....

Agreed Quag I think J.T. gets dealt on draft day for a 3rd round pick. Long and Roth are going to be the future at OLB for the Phins. If Taylor stays then I love Jake Long.

the Laos
02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
i love merling for the vikings at 17, he could step in for the ailing udeze right away, but after the combine, i really want quentin groves.

DLionALL
02-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Hate the Eagles pick. Even more so after the combine.

darnik44two
02-26-2008, 05:13 PM
I dont see Parcells taking Sedrick Ellis with the #1 pick of the draft. If you want a pick that makes more sense then look no further then Jake Long. Ellis didnt do anything at the combine to justify a #1 in this draft. If Taylor is dealt then Chris is the pick. If Taylor stays then I cant see them passing up on Jake.

Ellis might not be the pick, but I don't like the combine argument. The combine is only a piece of the puzzle and not the whole puzzle. Ellis didn't do anything bad at the combine. For a NT the main test is the Bench Press, 34 reps is sufficient. It's not like he was going to run a 4.4 40, nor would it matter if he did.

Nose tackles are asked to do one thing. Eat up blockers and stuff the run. They need to push the center into the backfield, plug up the middle and allow the LB to make tackles. Anything else is a bonus. Ellis showed at the Senior Bowl he's the real deal and fits the bill as a NT. He already has experience at NT, and that's rare.

3-4 teams sometimes spend years looking for a solid nose tackle and Ellis is sitting their ripe for the taking.

Bil Parcells knows what he's doing, he's been around the blcok. All these "sources" that keep leaking information about Chris Long, Vernon Gholston and Matt Ryan are a smokescreen. Leaks of information don't actually happen when there's really 3 people who hold the cards. The Owner, GM, and H.C. The draft is a poker game. I know when I play poker I don't lay my cards on the table for everyone to see. These leaks of information are nothing more than a ploy to entice teams to trade up if they think the Dolphins are targeting their guy. The Matt Ryan talk is to get the Falcons (who hold 2 2nd round picks) to attempt to move up, which is what the Dolphins hope to do (trade up). I think it's the players that have recieved no mention of being drafted by the Dolphins who will ultimately be the pick.

Jake Long totally makes sense and would be a safe effective pick and very well may be the pick. But ruling Ellis out I don't get. Nose tackles are a vital cog for a 3-4 defense and like I said hard to come by.

I'm not discrediting your opinion, just further explaining my point of view.

darnik44two
02-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Hate the Eagles pick. Even more so after the combine.

Hating the pick is fine, I too have questions about Jackson as a pure receiver but I don't get the part about even more so after the combine. You don't like guys who run 4.35 40's? You must not like his weight. Fortuanatly that fixable.

DLionALL
02-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Hating the pick is fine, I too have questions about Jackson as a pure receiver but I don't get the part about even more so after the combine. You don't like guys who run 4.35 40's? You must not like his weight. Fortuanatly that fixable.

Yeah, his weight really concerns me but you are right about it being fixable. I love his speed and the fact he can double as KR/PR but I just can't see him as the #1 WR in Philly and I for one don't want to spend the 19th overall pick for a #2 or #3 option. It's not even the Position I don't like, it's just the player.

darnik44two
02-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Yeah, his weight really concerns me but you are right about it being fixable. I love his speed and the fact he can double as KR/PR but I just can't see him as the #1 WR in Philly and I for one don't want to spend the 19th overall pick for a #2 or #3 option. It's not even the Position I don't like, it's just the player.

Like I said in my explaination, I truely feel it comes down to who Andy Reid has a man crush on. For Eagles fans it's ashame that's the case, but as an outsider looking in that's how it seems to be. The receivers and corners are so hard to predict each team preference because in both cases there is no clear cut #1.

Things could play out like this...

19. Eagles - Devin Thomas
20. Buccaneers - DeSean Jackson
21. Redskins - Kentwan Balmer
22. Cowboys - best available CB
23. Steelers - Chris Williams
24. Titans - Limas Sweed

Hines
02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
I dont see Long passing that far down the draft after what he did at the combine, plus, Flowers wont go that high.

BigBlueCrew56
02-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I understand where you are coming from with Sedrick but I think he would be better served playing in a 4-3 then trying to take up space in a 3-4. Yeah he looked good in the Senior Bowl vs College Seniors but I dont correlate that with what he is going to be seeing in the NFL as an undersized NT in a 3-4 defense. 6'1 308 is rather small for a NT in a 3-4. The Phins have Solai and Fifita on the roster who both push around 330-340 plus. Plus I think it's a bit of a stretch to pay at 3-4 NT 30 Million. I know 3-4 DT's are hard to find but that more to due then it's hard to find a guy who is about 330-340 who is actually competent and still agile enough to take up blockers. Guys like Ted Washington and Keith Traylor lasted so long because of there mammoth size. Casey Hampton,Vince Wilfork, etc etc carry big weight well and are still agile and big enough to take up blockers and get penetration. The best 3-4 NT in this draft is Ahtbya Rubin of Iowa State. Big massive Toilet Clogger.

darnik44two
02-26-2008, 06:12 PM
I dont see Long passing that far down the draft after what he did at the combine, plus, Flowers wont go that high.

No, Flowers won't go that high after his 40 time. He entered the combine my 6th CB, and probably still is. I just kind of had a feeling Flowers was the "consensus" top CB with Mayock having him #1 and his style of play fits the Ravens. Mayock rubs shoulders with GM's and scouts and I thought his sudden high ranking of Flowers meant something. He might have been the concensus #1 prior to his 40 time. The Corners are hard to figure. Antoine Cason's my top corner, but Rodgers-Cromartie might be the first one taken. I'm going back and forth, and may have Rodger-Cromartie as my top corner after some further consideration.

rockio42
02-26-2008, 06:12 PM
no way the Rams take Dorsey over Long, no way in hell

rockio42
02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
I know Chris Long looked great and extremely agile, but how come no one thinks he can play DE anymore, I think he has the motor, leverage, and with a little bulking up the size to play 3-4 DE

bruschis4all
02-26-2008, 06:20 PM
If the Pats draft Chris Long without having to trade up. I might even buy a Raiders 75 jersey to thank his dad for passing those genes down:) I have a feeling Long will be taken higher. And, Pats will get Gholston. Just my .02
Pass rush will be a priority. Especially, since they released R.Colvin.

I also think the Pats will take a cb in Round 2. Not sure T.Williams projects as a starter. However, you have some good cb's sliding into the 2nd round. I know you didn't do trades. But, Pats have two 3's. I believe they will move up to get their guy.

proshoota25
02-26-2008, 06:21 PM
i love the pats pick, hopefully long falls that far but i doubt it. flowers will not be the first corner taken, esp. after the combine DRC had and not behind jenkins mckelvin.

G-Men88
02-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Don't like the Giants pick. After the combine both Dajaun Morgan and Erin Henderson are worthy of the 32nd overall pick and they both make more sense.

Crazy_Chris
02-26-2008, 07:59 PM
I personally prefer Derrick Harvey, but either him or Merling works for me, nice work.

A Perfect Score
02-26-2008, 08:59 PM
i think that mike jenkins offers better value...although i wouldnt hate flowers there. Better then a QB anyways.

thebow305
02-26-2008, 10:17 PM
I have put up this same argument many times Darnik in regards to the Dolphins selecting Chris Long. A name that you forgot on your list of OLB's for the Phins is Matt Roth. I cant beleive that Phins fans have totally forgot about him. Another sleeper is Abraham Wright there 7th round pick out of Colorado who surprised many in last years preseason before getting hurt.

OLB Jason Taylor
OLB Joey Porter
OLB Matt Roth
OLB Abraham Wright

That's 4 solid 3-4 OLB's. Now if the Phins decide to trade J.T. then the ideal pick would be Chris Long. They cant release Joey because of all the guaranteed money. Jason Taylor is the odd man out being that he is 34. I cant see Parcells taking Matt Ryan because having wet behind the ears QB's on the roster isnt what Bill usually goes for. I see them trading for a veteran or signing a Todd Collins type. Jake Long for me is the obvious pick because it will make the Dolphins line young and dominant. Long-Satele-Carey going into the next 10 years.

I have heard that the Phins are interested in signing Flozell but what creeps into my head is that Flozell is 33 years old. So when the Phins are ready to compete he is going to be 36-37???? Just doesnt make sense for him to be in a rebuilding process and it doesnt make sense for the Phins because the whole idea is to get younger.

I do agree with a majority of what you and darnik said. One name you left out in the talk of our OLB's is Quentin Moses. He was starting to play solid in the limited time he got at the end of the year and flashd some ability that once made him a first round consideration. I think Wright is the odd man out there and won't make the final cut, if he even makes it THAT far. Roth would be an interesting fit at OLB, but it seems we continue to be stubborn and push him at 3-4 end. I don't see that changing anytime soon but I could be wrong. Then we are left with Taylor and Porter. Porter is getting paid too much to ride the pine, so we know where he will not be next season: On the bench. And with all seriousness, with Taylor focussing on this TV show thing instead of offseason preparations, I don't think he will be one of Parcell's favorite players when Training Camp rolls around, or even the draft. Which is why I also see a big chance he is traded before the draft or even the day of for a late 2nd, early 3rd round draft pick. Obviously that is not the main reason, but I could certainly see it fitting into the equation.

In this scenario, we head into the draft with only two legit contenders to start at OLB: Joey Porter and Quentin Moses (And I guess you can throw Roth in there if you want.) And if this is indeed the case, Moses would be a great backup and situational pass rusher but certainly does not look to be a full-time starter, nor doe he appear to be the player that Chris Long or Vernon Gholston would be for us.

Look at it that way. That is my logic for the CL/VG pick. Or you can look at this scenario: If JT isn't traded, he is 34 and has had his share of injuries the last couple of years. Long or Gholston would see significant time either way this year and would warm the driver seat until Taylor leaves as early as next year most likely. Then, with one year under their belt with some significant playing time and mentoring from one of the game's best ever at that position, they will be primed and ready to be stars in '09.

Vernon Carey will be a great Right Tackle for us, we don't need to draft another RT with the #1 overall pick. We can sign Flozell, and draft a guy like Chris Williams, Jeff Otah, or Carl Nicks in the 2nd to groom behind Flozell until he retires in a couple years. Those 3 seem to fit the huge, mauler type better that Sparano or Parcells prefers better anyway. Long doesn't really fit that type as well as one of those guys. Either way, Jake Long would not be a sensible pick for us.

BTW Darnik, Ellis is not a bad pick. But not first overall, I just don't think Ellis fits there for us as far as value goes. C Long and Gholston fit the value/need bill better than Ellis does at that spot, which is why one of them will ultimately be the pick there.

That's my take!

Kid_Ego
02-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Im going to go on record and say if the dolphins do pick in the one spot they take Long. Jumbo Elliot Bill knows one thing if your going to run the ball you have to win in the trenches. If history means anything Parcells has always had kinda fill in guys on the DL but he has always had great run games and massive offensive lines. Plus as has been mentioned several times I think they got some talent at linebacker and maybe the dolphin fans have forgotten Matt Roth but Parcells wont. He is a Parcells type of guy. All Parcells needs is a couple more years of Keyshawn and Vinny and let the rebuild begin lol

As for the vikings draft I wouldnt count out a OL in the first round now. there is plenty of talent there and best case scenerio McKinnie stays out of prison and they have a right tackle worse case scenerio we have a replacement for McKinnie. Personally I think the pick you made was perfect he is the best all around DE in the draft given the fact gholston and long are probably linebacker/hybred types. that is exactly why I doubt he is any where near the 17 pick even if he started to fall someone is bound to move up and grab him.

defensiveback23
02-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Good pick for the Chargers although I don't agree with any of your reasoning other than needing a versatile DB.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Just a note, defense is far more of a problem in Oakland than the running game is.

ESchorcho
02-27-2008, 12:38 AM
If Chris Long falls that far then the GMs/coaches that pick before them should be fired on the spot. Chris Long is the best prospect in the entire draft, along with Jake Long. If the Dolphins are foolish enough to pass on him, the Rams will pick him with with the second overall pick.

I really don't understand the love-fest with Brandon Flowers. Maycock loves him, but his opinion means absolutely nothing to me. He said he wouldn't take Darren McFadden with a top twenty pick. Enough said.

thebow305
02-27-2008, 01:01 AM
If Chris Long falls that far then the GMs/coaches that pick before them should be fired on the spot. Chris Long is the best prospect in the entire draft, along with Jake Long. If the Dolphins are foolish enough to pass on him, the Rams will pick him with with the second overall pick.

I really don't understand the love-fest with Brandon Flowers. Maycock loves him, but his opinion means absolutely nothing to me. He said he wouldn't take Darren McFadden with a top twenty pick. Enough said.

How dare you bash Mayock. Mayock is the man!!!

-rep 4 that, big time!

Vikes99ej
02-27-2008, 01:03 AM
We don't need a run-stopping end. We have two run-stoppers already at the tackle position. Our pass defense will not improve unless we get someone who can get to the quarterback quickly.

Don Killuminati
02-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Chris Long over McFadden and it's not even close.

eaglesalltheway
02-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Sweed or Hardy are better options for the Eagles at WR, and some OTs would also be a better option.

Thunder&Lightning
02-27-2008, 10:53 AM
very nice chargers pick.