PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins Free Agency Thread

thebow305
02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
In just under 6 hours, free agency will officially begin! We have the most cap space in the league, I so hope we finally use some of it! Any last minute guesses from Phins fans who we will be signing during the period, or RE-signing for that matter???

My Guesses (New Signings):

OT Flozell Adams
CB/S Eugene Wilson
DE Marques Douglas
OG Justin Smiley
WR Keyshawn Johnson

I really hope we resign Bell too, but if we get Wilson, that could end that. Hadnot would be nice to get back too, I just think that's a longshot at this point. What do you guys think!?

BigBlueCrew56
02-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Ugggh Flozell is gone...Agrees to 6 year extension with the Cowboys. Can you say Jake Long #1???????

Marino13
02-28-2008, 09:50 PM
rumors are Ernest Wilford will sign tonight.

Oh and we did sign David Kirkus

thebow305
02-29-2008, 01:52 AM
Ugggh Flozell is gone...Agrees to 6 year extension with the Cowboys. Can you say Jake Long #1???????

Can you say.... NO!?

Joeyjr09
02-29-2008, 07:15 AM
For 5 years at 25 million. Not too horrible. I think he's on par with the Derreck Dockery's of the world and we got him for 2 million a year less. I like the signing. These are the kind of moves we need to make. He is a good, dependable guard. Not a world beater like Fanaca would have been but definately a guy we can rely on.

BigBlueCrew56
02-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Very solid guard. Reminds of a Chris Snee type for the Giants. Good first signing for the phins as they are trying to build a solid offensive line. Now do we draft Jake Long at #1 to complete the line???? If Calvin Pace signs then it's really looking like Matt Ryan or Big Jake.

BigBlueCrew56
02-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Oh the hatred you have for the Michigan LT HA HA HA

TyronePoole38
02-29-2008, 07:25 AM
As a 9er fan I can tell you he is great at pulling. He had a good 06 and an okay 07'. Good signing for you guys nonetheless.

BigBlueCrew56
02-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Dolphins to make Pace a Mega Offer:Alex Marvez Fox Sports
Feb. 29th 56 minutes ago

Don’t be surprised if Arizona linebacker Calvin Pace leaves South Florida as a member of the Miami Dolphins following a free-agent visit.

A league source told FOXSports.com that Miami is preparing to offer Pace the same kind of mega-deal that linebackers Adalius Thomas and Joey Porter received in free agency last off-season. New England and Miami signed Thomas and Porter respectively to five-year, $32 million contracts that included $20 million in guaranteed money.

Incidentally, Thomas and Porter never made the kind of impact in 2007 that was expected for the money paid.

While the 2003 first-round pick struggled as a 4-3 defensive end in his first four NFL seasons, Pace blossomed last year when moved to outside linebacker in Arizona’s new 3-4 scheme. Pace finished with career highs in tackles (98), sacks (6.5) and passes defensed (6).

By franchising fellow outside linebacker Karlos Dansby, Arizona was willing to let Pace test the market. Unless wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald can be signed to a new contract that lowers his salary cap number of roughly $16 million, Arizona appears likely to lose Pace and wideout Bryant Johnson in free agency.

Bills2083
02-29-2008, 08:46 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7852370

Friday a.m. note -- picking up Pace

Don't be surprised if Arizona linebacker Calvin Pace leaves South Florida as a member of the Miami Dolphins following a free-agent visit.

A league source told FOXSports.com that Miami is preparing to offer Pace the same kind of mega-deal that linebackers Adalius Thomas and Joey Porter received in free agency last off-season. New England and Miami signed Thomas and Porter respectively to five-year, $32 million contracts that included $20 million in guaranteed money.

Incidentally, Thomas and Porter never made the kind of impact in 2007 that was expected for the money paid.

While the 2003 first-round pick struggled as a 4-3 defensive end in his first four NFL seasons, Pace blossomed last year when moved to outside linebacker in Arizona's new 3-4 scheme. Pace finished with career highs in tackles (9, sacks (6.5) and passes defensed (6).

By franchising fellow outside linebacker Karlos Dansby, Arizona was willing to let Pace test the market. Unless wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald can be signed to a new contract that lowers his salary cap number of roughly $16 million, Arizona appears likely to lose Pace and wideout Bryant Johnson in free agency.

BigBlueCrew56
02-29-2008, 08:49 AM
I guess it's time for the Dolphins to make way for Mr. Jake Long at #1.

Quagmire
02-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I guess it's time for the Dolphins to make way for Mr. Jake Long at #1.

Still early for that, he is not officially signed..... Could be making the way for Matt Ryan as well........ I would hope if they did sign him, that Taylor would be traded..........

toonsterwu
02-29-2008, 11:38 AM
This has to be the most intriguing news of the day for me. Does it mean the end of the line for Taylor (and Porter), thus making Chris Long a viable option still? Does it mean Matt Ryan?

thebow305
02-29-2008, 11:44 AM
I have no idea what ths means... hopefully Jason is traded now so Chris or Vernon an still be the pick... what does everyone else think about this???

keylime_5
02-29-2008, 12:15 PM
I think Pace would be an OLB in Miami's 3-4 and Chris Long a DE, so I don't think there'd be a correlation between Long and Pace.

Joeyjr09
02-29-2008, 12:28 PM
I have a hard time buying into this.

Parcells 1st 3 moves were midlevel cap friendly deals. Jason Ferguson is only making 4 million a year and we got him for a 6th rounder. Justin Smiley only got 9 million Guaranteed over 5 years. And we signed Reggie Torber to play LB for us already according to KFFL. No way he can be making much money.

With all that suddenly we are gonna offer a top tier LB deal to Calvin Pace? I'm having a hard time buying into that. It's going against everything Parcells has indicated and against all the moves he has made so far.

BigBlueCrew56
02-29-2008, 12:40 PM
The Pace deal is all over the sports radio down here 790 the ticket that a deal should be done rather soon. I think Pace is seeing what the Jets have to offer. And by the way I love the Torbor signing. It sucks that he is leaving my Giants but atleast he's with my adopted team in the Phins

thebow305
02-29-2008, 12:54 PM
I have a hard time buying into this.

Parcells 1st 3 moves were midlevel cap friendly deals. Jason Ferguson is only making 4 million a year and we got him for a 6th rounder. Justin Smiley only got 9 million Guaranteed over 5 years. And we signed Reggie Torber to play LB for us already according to KFFL. No way he can be making much money.

With all that suddenly we are gonna offer a top tier LB deal to Calvin Pace? I'm having a hard time buying into that. It's going against everything Parcells has indicated and against all the moves he has made so far.

Apparently he sees a lot of Ware in Pace.... similar players. Calvin Pace is probably what you would call a poor man's DeMarcus Ware. But who knows, he was playing out of position prior to '07 when he had his biggest year (98 Tackles, 6.5 sacks) And under Parcells aggressive defense and the tutoring of JT, he could end up being VERY good for us. An under-the-radar move that could end up making us look real good eventually. I still want Long or Gholston though so I don't know what to think about this yet, I hope we trade down now if the Pace signing is true. I really don't want jake Long at number 1.

Joeyjr09
02-29-2008, 01:06 PM
The Pace deal is all over the sports radio down here 790 the ticket that a deal should be done rather soon. I think Pace is seeing what the Jets have to offer. And by the way I love the Torbor signing. It sucks that he is leaving my Giants but atleast he's with my adopted team in the Phins

What are you talking about? I've listened to 790 the ticket all day. They've said nothing more then he's currently visiting along with McCown during the sportsflashes.

Are you sure the Torber signing happened. KFFL took the report down. I can't find it anywhere.

TimD
02-29-2008, 01:09 PM

Well I hope the Jets take a look at Pace. I mean I don't want to the Phin's to get him. That'd suck for us.

Joeyjr09
02-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Apparently he sees a lot of Ware in Pace.... similar players. Calvin Pace is probably what you would call a poor man's DeMarcus Ware. But who knows, he was playing out of position prior to '07 when he had his biggest year (98 Tackles, 6.5 sacks) And under Parcells aggressive defense and the tutoring of JT, he could end up being VERY good for us. An under-the-radar move that could end up making us look real good eventually. I still want Long or Gholston though so I don't know what to think about this yet, I hope we trade down now if the Pace signing is true. I really don't want jake Long at number 1.

Where are you hearing that he sees alot of Ware in Pace? I like Pace and I'd love to have him. He was one of the guys I was saying we should target during the offseason but signing him to same deal that Porter and Adalius gone is insane. He hasn't proven he's worth that much. I wouldn't hate it as much as I hated the Porter signing last season but I still don't see where he's worth wasting that cap money on.

I'm torn because I like the player but I hate the amount.

Joeyjr09
02-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Parcells wasting no time rebuilding Dolphins
Within the first 12 hours of the free-agent signing period, the Miami Dolphins already had signed one player and scheduled at least three visits, and it would be no surprise to see them sign at least four free agents by the end of the day.

The Dolphins signed former Jets free-agent tight end Sean Ryan to a one-year deal and were expecting visits from Arizona linebacker Calvin Pace, Oakland quarterback Josh McCown and Tennessee defensive tackle Randy Starks. Talks with Starks, for one, are heating up.
-- Adam Schefter

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story?id=09000d5d806f3718&template=with-video&confirm=true

Everyone knew about Pace and McCown who I think would be solid as a 1 year stop gap. But throwing in Randy Starks into the mix would be huge. I knwo nothing about Sean Ryan but he sounds like one of those guys that ends up cut at TC.

Anyways, if you would have told me a week ago that we ended the 1st day of FA with Calvin Pace, Luke McCown, Randy Starks, Justin Smiley, and Reggie Torber. I'd be thrilled.

EDIT: Torber is confirmed I guess. Rotoworld has him listed as going to the Dolphins.

toonsterwu
02-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Very interesting signees. Starks is an interesting case, a good raw talent that hasn't materialized in the 4-3. Maybe he'll fit as a 3-4 DE. Torbor and Pace would send a strong signal that Taylor and Porter are out in all likelihood ... and it could be a strong signal on the draft. Wilford's a potentially solid safety option ... for whoever the QB is.

CARDIAC CAT 7
02-29-2008, 02:23 PM
According to NFL.com, Adam Schefter reports:

The Miami Dolphins have stormed out of the free-agent gate, adding yet another young player. The Dolphins reached agreement with former Tennessee defensive tackle Randy Starks on a five-year, $21 million contract that includes $7 million worth of guaranteed money. The best part of Starks might be his upside. He is only 24 years old.

The Dolphins also have reached agreement on a trade with the Dallas Cowboys that would reunite DT Jason Ferguson with Parcells and give Miami a new starting defensive tackle tandem for the coming season...

BaLLiN
02-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Also signed giants FA Reggie Torbor LB.

toonsterwu
02-29-2008, 02:25 PM
They also signed Wilford, and already signed Smiley.

The intriguing thing is the Torbor signing and the interest in Pace. The obvious is that, if they get both, it sure seems like Taylor/Porter are on their way out.

It also would seem to dampen the possibility of a rush backer 1st overall.

Turtlepower
Also signed giants FA Reggie Torbor LB.

I think that KFFL retracted that statement. They may have jumped the gun there.

LonghornsLegend
They also have an agreement with Wilford locked up now, should be announced shortly. He decided to go with them over Buffalo.

draftguru151
02-29-2008, 02:32 PM
We traded for Jason Ferguson too.

Joeyjr09
02-29-2008, 02:54 PM
So far we have gotten:

Signed:
Earnest Wilford, WR, 29
Randy Starks, DT, 24
Sean Ryan, TE, 27
Jason Ferguson, NT, 33

Agreed to terms, can't confirm a signing:
Reggie Torber, LB, 27
Justin Smiley, OG, 26

Visiting and expected to sign:
Calvin Pace, LB, 27
Josh McCown, 28

If I told you that was what we ended up with after one day of FA. What would your reaction be? No one really grossly overpaid either (except maybe Pace) and most either good deal for us or reasonable contract that are fair for both sides.

Marino13
02-29-2008, 03:22 PM
also expected to sign Texan LB Courtney Anderson

BamaFalcon59
02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Josh McCown signing confirmed for the Dolphins.
---

DOLPHINS SIGN JOSH MCCOWN by Michael David Smith

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Miami Dolphins have reached a contract agreement with free agent quarterback Josh McCown.

Per Schefter, the contract is a two-year deal worth $6.25 million. Although that's a contract more in line with what a backup usually makes, McCown may very well be the Dolphins' starter in September. Of the three quarterbacks on the Dolphins' 2007 roster, two -- Trent Green and Cleo Lemon -- are already gone, and the third -- John Beck -- was unimpressive in the four games he started.

McCown started nine games for the Raiders last year, completing 58.4 percent of his passes and throwing 10 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He previously started 22 games for the Cardinals from 2003 to 2005, and he spent the 2006 season with the Lions, where his only regular-season playing time came at wide receiver.

The Dolphins have been the busiest team in the league on a very busy first day of free agency.

Walter Sobchak
02-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Jake Long...Jake long...Jake Long #1

BigBlueCrew56
02-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Oh yeah it is so looking like Jake Long is coming to town. WOW it has to be Sparano getting into the ear of Bill on getting Long. Wow loving the moves loving it today in South Florida. Lots of buzz

DE Randy Starks- Great addition as a possible 3-4 end

WR Ernest Wilfork- Big physical wideout we needed

OG Justin Smiley- Great young addition to what can be a very talented line

QB Josh McCown- Perfect stop gap QB who really has a chance to prove himself worthy here. Is still young at 28 and a perfect guy to compete with Beck and a drafted QB.

OLB Reggie Torbor- Another great addition from my hometown Giants. He played DE at auburn and we where using him as a SLB. He can play 3-4 OLB or possibly may even have a home in the middle. Quality player wether backing up or starting. Saved the Giants when Kiwanuka went down.

NT Jason Ferguson- Yeah he is up there at 33 but he is certainly a guy we needed to help groom some of our younger NT's like Solai and Fifita. Will fit in nicely in the middle of our 3-4.

Pending

OLB Calvin Pace- Guy could be a beast. Finally was able to show what he is capable once the Cards changed to a 3/4 defense. Will pretty much end all talks about C.Long or Gholston with the 1st pick.

BigBlueCrew56
02-29-2008, 07:04 PM
It's official

By Bucky Brooks, SI.com

According to a league source, the Dolphins have agreed to terms with free agent defensive end Calvin Pace.

The fifth-year pro is coming off his best season after recording 98 tackles, including 6 1/2 sacks. The financial terms haven't been disclosed but is believed to include over $20 million in guaranteed money.

Pace's signing leaves Joey Porter's status with the team in limbo after being the team's marquee signing a season ago.

Quagmire
02-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Oh yeah it is so looking like Jake Long is coming to town. WOW it has to be Sparano getting into the ear of Bill on getting Long. Wow loving the moves loving it today in South Florida. Lots of buzz

DE Randy Starks- Great addition as a possible 3-4 end

WR Ernest Wilfork- Big physical wideout we needed

OG Justin Smiley- Great young addition to what can be a very talented line

QB Josh McCown- Perfect stop gap QB who really has a chance to prove himself worthy here. Is still young at 28 and a perfect guy to compete with Beck and a drafted QB.

OLB Reggie Torbor- Another great addition from my hometown Giants. He played DE at auburn and we where using him as a SLB. He can play 3-4 OLB or possibly may even have a home in the middle. Quality player wether backing up or starting. Saved the Giants when Kiwanuka went down.

NT Jason Ferguson- Yeah he is up there at 33 but he is certainly a guy we needed to help groom some of our younger NT's like Solai and Fifita. Will fit in nicely in the middle of our 3-4.

Pending

OLB Calvin Pace- Guy could be a beast. Finally was able to show what he is capable once the Cards changed to a 3/4 defense. Will pretty much end all talks about C.Long or Gholston with the 1st pick.

Blue,

As someone who has watched teams like Washington and Denver jump into free agency huge on day one and get no results in prior yrs, I am always skeptical. However, with that being said, I like all of the signings for their philosophy of improving the size and toughness of the team. The 2 most expensive ones are the ones that concern me. Smiley looked like he was going to be a player when he came out and really did not play well the last couple yrs. Not sure if the injuries had something to do with it, but I hope they look him over more than once medically before committing to him. As for Pace, if it is official (so far only SI has it), I am a little scared. I love the concept of a big 3-4 rush LB, but you have to wonder about a guy who was a disappointment prior to this yr who makes it big on a contract yr.

I really like the Starks signing (alot!) and the Ferguson deal. Wilford is a solid possession receiver who comes from a very physical offense. Ryan is a blocking TE who adds great size to the position and who I think will be a nice blocking TE/H-Back in Henning's system. Don't know much about Anderson other than his size/speed ratio matches what they are looking for and could help our depth at LB. Torbor is one of those guys who may be ready to blossom in our system. As long as they did not pay him too much, I think he can be a very valuable asset for depth at the absolute worst and he may have ability to be a starter here.....

Finally, McCown is a perfect fit for the backup/spot starter type at QB. I hope they give Beck a fair shot, but McCown does have some ability. Though I do think they have to address QB early in the draft if they are counting on him. He has a nice arm and fits the big QB style that Tuna likes.

All in all, solid first day with the ability to jump to great if Smiley and Pace work out. If they don't, the grade drops a lot.

Now, if they can just start with the Jason Taylor trade talk, I will be happy...

Quagmire
02-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Blue,

One last thing, I do not think they are out of the Long/Gholston pick even with these signings. There is still a lot of age at the position and one of these guys still fits. Especially with a Jason Taylor trade (please!!)

thebow305
03-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Blue,

One last thing, I do not think they are out of the Long/Gholston pick even with these signings. There is still a lot of age at the position and one of these guys still fits. Especially with a Jason Taylor trade (please!!)

Yes! Couldn't agree more! Taylor and Porter may not be around much lonnger, epecially Taylor. I think people are really starting to forget that.

Marino13
03-01-2008, 12:33 PM
according to an insider over at Finheaven, Miami will sign Eugene Wilson and Marques Douglas today.

oh and we signed Charlie Anderson if it wasn't already mentioned

Joeyjr09
03-01-2008, 03:08 PM
according to an insider over at Finheaven, Miami will sign Eugene Wilson and Marques Douglas today.

oh and we signed Charlie Anderson if it wasn't already mentioned

I heard we were interested in Wilson but I hadn't heard anything about us visiting with him. Marques Douglas I read was visiting TB so I don't know how he could possibly be signing with us.

I know there's reports that it's between us and Cincy for Darryl Blackstock.

Any news on Calvin Pace? Something fishy going on that he hasn't signed yet.

So right now the list of targets for us is:

Eugene Wilson, FS
Darryl Blackstock, LB
Calvin Pace, LB
Jason Fabini, OG
Marques Douglas, DE (???)

give me 3 of that group at reasonable prices and we can call it a day for FA. We will have signed just enough of the type of guys we needed to go after IMO.

thebow305
03-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I heard we were interested in Wilson but I hadn't heard anything about us visiting with him. Marques Douglas I read was visiting TB so I don't know how he could possibly be signing with us.

I know there's reports that it's between us and Cincy for Darryl Blackstock.

Any news on Calvin Pace? Something fishy going on that he hasn't signed yet.

So right now the list of targets for us is:

Eugene Wilson, FS
Darryl Blackstock, LB
Calvin Pace, LB
Jason Fabini, OG
Marques Douglas, DE (???)

give me 3 of that group at reasonable prices and we can call it a day for FA. We will have signed just enough of the type of guys we needed to go after IMO.

Wow.... if this turns into a bidding war between us and the jets for Pace, they can have him. Of course he would be a welcomed addition, but seems like he wants the bank broken on himself, and is he really worth it? I'd rather have Chris Long or Gholston myself anyway.

thebow305
03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Dolphins re-signed SS Yeremiah Bell to a one-year, $1.4 million contract.

A smart move for both sides. Bell showed tons of promise in 2006 before tearing his Achilles in Week 1 of last season. He'll battle to start at strong safety, and if he stays healthy, could get a lucrative deal on the '09 market.

This is my favorite move by Parcells so far this FA period.... Thank god we got Yeremiah back, I was starting to get real worried about him leaving. I think he is a Pro Bowl-Cailbre player when healthy. One of the more under-rated safeties in the league. If he can just stay healthy....

Joeyjr09
03-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Dolphins re-signed SS Yeremiah Bell to a one-year, $1.4 million contract.

A smart move for both sides. Bell showed tons of promise in 2006 before tearing his Achilles in Week 1 of last season. He'll battle to start at strong safety, and if he stays healthy, could get a lucrative deal on the '09 market.

This is my favorite move by Parcells so far this FA period.... Thank god we got Yeremiah back, I was starting to get real worried about him leaving. I think he is a Pro Bowl-Cailbre player when healthy. One of the more under-rated safeties in the league. If he can just stay healthy....

Bro, let's watch and see if he can even start for a full NFL season but saying he's Pro Bowl caliber. I like Bell but come on dude, ease off the homerism. He has yet to hold down a job for a full season.

Quagmire
03-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Bro, let's watch and see if he can even start for a full NFL season but saying he's Pro Bowl caliber. I like Bell but come on dude, ease off the homerism. He has yet to hold down a job for a full season.

Joe,

Could not agree more with you. He showed promise when he played 2 yrs ago, but to crown him a pro bowler off of a 1/2 season 2 yrs ago and an Achilles injury last season may be a SLIGHTLY overstating things.....

draftguru151
03-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Pace signed with the Jets, I'm shocked to say the least.

BigBlueCrew56
03-03-2008, 03:15 PM
No Pace makes for Chris Long at #1 the obvious choice. You see JoeyJr. I am realist and not the the Jake Long nut hugger you make me out to be fool. Just playin bro dont take me callin you a fool out of context. Just got back from ESPN the weekend and I saw some of the lovely rebuttles you and Bow had for me. It's all good Joey you have your opinions and I have mine. I'am down with Chris Long at #1 as long as it's good for the team. I never ever ever ever said I disliked Chris Long or Vernon Gholston but was pressing Jake more because he made sense with our Glutten at 3-4 OLB. It shows that Parcells still views the spot as a weakness to come close to giving up to 20 million in gurantees to a one hit wonder in Pace. This move was ment to be and now clearly opens the door for Chris Long to go at #1.

Joeyjr09
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Pace signed with the Jets, I'm shocked to say the least.

Shocked? I'm thrilled. I liked Pace as a player but 42 million overall and 22 million guaranteed? Is that serious?

I would have been pissed if the Dolphins signed him for the same 32 million/20 guaranteed that we got Joey Porter for and the Jets blew way past that offer.

Unless he suddenly starts putting up 10-12 sacks a season and learns how to cover some people, no way he'll ever be worth that.

Darryl Blackstock is gonna make 1/10th the amount that Paces makes and he had half the amount of sacks Pace got while playing alot less.

I'd venture to say that Backstock is a limited role could bring you 5-6 sacks for alot cheaper then Pace will. I'd much rather take a cheap gamble on Blackstock then to throw away all that dough on Pace.

Quagmire
03-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Shocked? I'm thrilled. I liked Pace as a player but 42 million overall and 22 million guaranteed? Is that serious?

I would have been pissed if the Dolphins signed him for the same 32 million/20 guaranteed that we got Joey Porter for and the Jets blew way past that offer.

Unless he suddenly starts putting up 10-12 sacks a season and learns how to cover some people, no way he'll ever be worth that.

Darryl Blackstock is gonna make 1/10th the amount that Paces makes and he had half the amount of sacks Pace got while playing alot less.

I'd venture to say that Backstock is a limited role could bring you 5-6 sacks for alot cheaper then Pace will. I'd much rather take a cheap gamble on Blackstock then to throw away all that dough on Pace.

Joe,

Agree with you again. I think Omar Kelly made a great pt in the sun-sentinel this morning stating that there was no way Pace should get more guaranteed $$ than Lance Briggs to play LB. While they are different style players, for Briggs to sign for 12-13 mil guaranteed after being a 3 time pro bowler and Pace to get over 20 mil for one OK yr would have been crazy. Glad to see they did not get in a bidding war........

BigBlueCrew56
03-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Very Very smart move by Parcells not overpaying for Pace. Blackstock isnt so bad so I hope they are able to atleast snare him to provide more depth. I liked Blackstock when he played in the 3-4 at Virginia.

BigBlueCrew56
03-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Blackstock did play under Al Groh. As much as we talk about Chris Long and Al Groh. Blackstock falls under that same tree

Joeyjr09
03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Blackstock did play under Al Groh. As much as we talk about Chris Long and Al Groh. Blackstock falls under that same tree

Hence our interest in both. I really, really wanna add Blackstock.

He's 24, was a very good talent coming out of college and in an extremely limited role last year he managed to get 3 sacks. I think with some work under a similar system to what he played in college he could be a very effective situational pass rusher who could get us 5-6 sacks a season only playing 15 snaps a game.

I think he's worth a gamble. Especially since he is gonna be dirt cheap. It's really only us, the Bengals and the Pats that are interested.

thebow305
03-04-2008, 12:10 AM

Ok dude... I have my opinions, you have your. Damn, seems like you hang on every word i say sometimes. He certainly has the talent, when healthy,to become a Pro Bowler, that is my opinion, if you don't agree, then that's great, I dont care. That's just how I feel.

thebow305
03-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Hence our interest in both. I really, really wanna add Blackstock.

He's 24, was a very good talent coming out of college and in an extremely limited role last year he managed to get 3 sacks. I think with some work under a similar system to what he played in college he could be a very effective situational pass rusher who could get us 5-6 sacks a season only playing 15 snaps a game.

I think he's worth a gamble. Especially since he is gonna be dirt cheap. It's really only us, the Bengals and the Pats that are interested.

I don't really want to add Blackstock to be completely honest. It seems like we have enough young, talented 3-4 backers on our roster already and then you add in Chris Long, and we will have more than enough at the outside position for next year. (JT, JP, Torbor, Moses, Wright, Long). I've heard Parcells is pretty high on the potential of Moses as an OLB in our system so he and C Long (if he draft him) seem to be the future there with Torbor and Wright coming off the bench. I guess if Torbor moves inside, which I'm not totally told on, then maybe we could add him for depth. I just don't think he's gonna come all that cheap, but if he does I guess it would be alright, maybe he could beat out Wright and Abe will be cut, I guess I don't see the harm in that, but i say we just wait and see how the draft pans out, just draft Chris and move on.

Joeyjr09
03-04-2008, 08:29 AM
I don't really want to add Blackstock to be completely honest. It seems like we have enough young, talented 3-4 backers on our roster already and then you add in Chris Long, and we will have more than enough at the outside position for next year. (JT, JP, Torbor, Moses, Wright, Long). I've heard Parcells is pretty high on the potential of Moses as an OLB in our system so he and C Long (if he draft him) seem to be the future there with Torbor and Wright coming off the bench. I guess if Torbor moves inside, which I'm not totally told on, then maybe we could add him for depth. I just don't think he's gonna come all that cheap, but if he does I guess it would be alright, maybe he could beat out Wright and Abe will be cut, I guess I don't see the harm in that, but i say we just wait and see how the draft pans out, just draft Chris and move on.

You counting on Moses and Wright? Come on man. Moses was a rookie last season that got cut by 2 different teams before he got to us. He looked good for us last season but damn he tanked at other places pretty quickly so lets wait a bit to see him really perform before we say he is the future at OLB. And Abe Wright, a low 7th round pick that spent the entire year on IR.

Your making a mistake by pencilling those two into the lineup already. A huge mistake. Bring in talent and let the best man win. If we can get Blackstock in here cheap, do it, let them battle it out in practice and let the better player stay. No need to just settle on Wright and Moses simply because they are on the roster.

Btw..I hang on every word you say? Don't be so full of yourself. You made an outlandish statement saying Bell is a Pro Bowl type player and I said he hasn't even been a full time starter in his career. I applied common sense to the situation and you get upset and bent out of shape, so whos the one hanging on whose words?

thebow305
03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
You counting on Moses and Wright? Come on man. Moses was a rookie last season that got cut by 2 different teams before he got to us. He looked good for us last season but damn he tanked at other places pretty quickly so lets wait a bit to see him really perform before we say he is the future at OLB. And Abe Wright, a low 7th round pick that spent the entire year on IR.

Your making a mistake by pencilling those two into the lineup already. A huge mistake. Bring in talent and let the best man win. If we can get Blackstock in here cheap, do it, let them battle it out in practice and let the better player stay. No need to just settle on Wright and Moses simply because they are on the roster.

Btw..I hang on every word you say? Don't be so full of yourself. You made an outlandish statement saying Bell is a Pro Bowl type player and I said he hasn't even been a full time starter in his career. I applied common sense to the situation and you get upset and bent out of shape, so whos the one hanging on whose words?

Ok, you don't hang on every word I say, how else do you see it? You respond to everything I say. I have 1900 posts... you've probably responded to 1850 of them..... hah.

I'm counting on Moses because he was a top 15 talent at one point in college and then had a down Senior year. Parcells is aid to be extremely high on this guy and I trust Parcells very much and his opinion. I've said before I dont think Wright will even make it out of camp, I'm sure you remember me saying that. And if you read the bottom of my previous post, I did re-iterate that it we could get him for cheap then I would be ok with it, I just dont think he will be cheap. And Moses didnt tank, he got cut by two of the most notoriously bad decision making/just generally unwise franchises in the NFL in the Cardinals and Raiders. They wouldn't know talent if it smacked them in the mouth! So I'm not holding it against them, plus AZ had a log jam at OLb, that's why they cut him (Berry, Okeafor, Pace, Blackstock). And like I said about Bell, it's my opinion, you have yours and I don't constantly bash whatever you say and hang on whatever you say so just stop hangin on my balls man, it's getting tiresome at this point.

BigBlueCrew56
03-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Wow I cant beleive I totally forgot to mention 3-4 OLB Quentin Moses when I was ranting about having a glut at 3-4 OLB if we did sign Pace. I know I have made arguments about even changing Roth to 3-4 OLB but it seems that doesnt seem to be the consensus. I have also recently heard that the Parcells team is really high on this guy. I really liked him coming out of Georgia and thought he would be an ideal 3-4 OLB in the pros. I am starting to get real worried that Matt Ryan may be the guy we go with. I hope to god no because I would prefer Chris Long,Jake Long, or Vernon Gholston. I am just hoping that Atlanta wants Matty Ice so bad and they know that Parcells is going to take him that they offer us a second. Then we take the best Long left at #3.

thebow305
03-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Wow I cant beleive I totally forgot to mention 3-4 OLB Quentin Moses when I was ranting about having a glut at 3-4 OLB if we did sign Pace. I know I have made arguments about even changing Roth to 3-4 OLB but it seems that doesnt seem to be the consensus. I have also recently heard that the Parcells team is really high on this guy. I really liked him coming out of Georgia and thought he would be an ideal 3-4 OLB in the pros. I am starting to get real worried that Matt Ryan may be the guy we go with. I hope to god no because I would prefer Chris Long,Jake Long, or Vernon Gholston. I am just hoping that Atlanta wants Matty Ice so bad and they know that Parcells is going to take him that they offer us a second. Then we take the best Long left at #3.

or Gholston. :)

Joeyjr09
03-04-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't constantly bash whatever you say and hang on whatever you say so just stop hangin on my balls man, it's getting tiresome at this point.

Ok bro, your a ******* moron. There like a total of 5 Dolphin fans on here and we all post on these boards. Sorry if you think your hot **** and think I actually give a **** about you. I respond to BBC, quagmire and draftguru just as often as I reply to you but they don't post as often, as long or as crazy as you do so there's not the constant discussions like there are with you. But, w/e bro. I'm done with this ********. Get over yourself. Your not that cool and no matter what you think, I don't hang around a key board all day to see what you type. I got better **** to do with my life.

Guru, sorry in advice for the language. This guy just sets me off sometimes. No need for him to bring up all the sort **** he says about me and frankly I get tired of taking it. I'll add him to my block list and you can go ahead and flag my post as an infraction but I just had to get this off my chest.

thebow305
03-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Ok bro, your a ******* moron. There like a total of 5 Dolphin fans on here and we all post on these boards. Sorry if you think your hot **** and think I actually give a **** about you. I respond to BBC, quagmire and draftguru just as often as I reply to you but they don't post as often, as long or as crazy as you do so there's not the constant discussions like there are with you. But, w/e bro. I'm done with this ********. Get over yourself. Your not that cool and no matter what you think, I don't hang around a key board all day to see what you type. I got better **** to do with my life.

Guru, sorry in advice for the language. This guy just sets me off sometimes. No need for him to bring up all the sort **** he says about me and frankly I get tired of taking it. I'll add him to my block list and you can go ahead and flag my post as an infraction but I just had to get this off my chest.

That was cute. I enjoyed that.

Funny how worked up some people can get on a message board sometimes. Go ahead and "Block" me... haha. Thanks I needed a good laugh.

thebow305
03-08-2008, 12:09 AM
The Dolphins met with free agent DL William Joseph on Friday.

Joseph is getting love from 3-4 clubs, where he'd likely be put at defensive end. He's got a meeting set up with the Browns for this weekend.

Source: http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/top_story.asp?contentID=5708

I know he has been a big-time bust up until now with the Giants, but maybe just a change of scenery is needed and change of system. IMO, he could be a beast as a 3-4 DE, has all the tools and just needs to get it together. Man, I really hope we sign him. He was big time at Miami! I used to love this guy when he played at the U... was friggin DOMINANT!

Come on Big Tuna, let's bring him back home!

BigBlueCrew56
03-08-2008, 07:50 AM
I agree I have always been a big fan of William Joseph from his days at the U. Loved it when my Giants took him but he was more a victim of the injury bug when he played for us then a total outright bust. Would love to see him back in Miami playing for my adopted Phins team as I think he has great potential as an end in the 3-4.

Joeyjr09
03-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I agree I have always been a big fan of William Joseph from his days at the U. Loved it when my Giants took him but he was more a victim of the injury bug when he played for us then a total outright bust. Would love to see him back in Miami playing for my adopted Phins team as I think he has great potential as an end in the 3-4.

There's still quote a few people are are talking to.

Williams Joseph. Would be solid as a 3-4 DE but I hope he doesn't take time away from Randy Starks or Rod Wright who are both developing and will be better long term.

Keith Davis. Special teams ace and a backup safety. I love the fact we are going after top notch ST players like Charlie Anderson, Boomer Grigsby, Tab Perry (still not signed) and now Davis. Wouldn't mind his addition at all.

Barry Sims. Easily my favorite move. If we can get him on a 2 year deal and draft a OT with our low 2nd, that's ideal in my mind. Gives us a year to groom the guy as Sims can still play a very solid LT and be an excellent mentor.

thebow305
03-08-2008, 05:31 PM

Williams Joseph. Would be solid as a 3-4 DE but I hope he doesn't take time away from Randy Starks or Rod Wright who are both developing and will be better long term.

Keith Davis. Special teams ace and a backup safety. I love the fact we are going after top notch ST players like Charlie Anderson, Boomer Grigsby, Tab Perry (still not signed) and now Davis. Wouldn't mind his addition at all.

Barry Sims. Easily my favorite move. If we can get him on a 2 year deal and draft a OT with our low 2nd, that's ideal in my mind. Gives us a year to groom the guy as Sims can still play a very solid LT and be an excellent mentor.

I agree. I hope we can get Sims locked up so it lessens the chance of us taking Jake Long and getting someone in the 2nd or 3rd instead. I Would love to get all three of those guys. I don't mind Joseph taking snaps away from Starks because I feel Joseph could be a much better player if he can stay healthy, but not Rod Wright. Rod is gonna be a special player for a long time for us IMO. He is very talented and I look forward to seeing his progression and hopefully a breakout year from him in '08.

Quagmire
03-09-2008, 11:49 AM

Joe,

If Joseph is signed for cheap, I think he is a nice fit. He is still young enough to where he can be part of the future here if he shows something.

Davis is just like you said. Extra depth at S, but good ST guy. Looks like Tuna is really making sure that at least our ST should be greatly improved immediately.

Sims would be an OK transition guy to groom the future LT, though I would not give up a lot of cash to sign him.

I am hoping the Tab Perry and/or Darryl Blackstock signings happen. Both are young guys with ability who fit the size profile wanted for their positions and have the upside that this rebuilding project needs......

Joeyjr09
03-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Joe,

If Joseph is signed for cheap, I think he is a nice fit. He is still young enough to where he can be part of the future here if he shows something.

Davis is just like you said. Extra depth at S, but good ST guy. Looks like Tuna is really making sure that at least our ST should be greatly improved immediately.

Sims would be an OK transition guy to groom the future LT, though I would not give up a lot of cash to sign him.

I am hoping the Tab Perry and/or Darryl Blackstock signings happen. Both are young guys with ability who fit the size profile wanted for their positions and have the upside that this rebuilding project needs......

Blackstock already eliminated us. He's between the Browns and one other team. Perry left without a contract. Davis is visiting us today.

I'd love to come away with Davis, Sims and Joseph. That would be a fine haul to end the offseason. None should cost too much and the only competition we got is Cleveland for Joseph. Sims and Davis should be ours as long as their contracts are reasonable (which they should be)