PDA

View Full Version : DI's Updated 2 Round Mock Draft *2/28*

DI
02-28-2008, 11:05 PM
2008 NFL Mock Draft
Round 1

* Mock was done with the idea that Vilma is a Saint and Corey Williams for Cleveland's 2nd Rounder happens*

1. Miami Dolphins- Chris Long, DE/OLB, Virginia

- Parcells wants a football player. Long is a football player and a damn good one and fits a need with the Dolphins as a perfect fit as the tweener type in that defense. Logical selection.

2. St. Louis Rams- Jake Long, OT, Michigan

- I believe that his combine workout vaulted him from #5 with KC to #2 and St. Louis. Some believe he's better suited for RT but either way, he'll replace Ogden at LT or start at RT and move Barron back to LT so it's a win-win for St. Louis.

3. Atlanta Falcons- Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

- Everyone and their mother has Matt Ryan here and I dont' see it. Dimitroff stated in one of his first interviews as GM that quarterbacks taken in the draft have value late in the draft as well (Brady) so I think he's less inclined to take a QB now and take a running back that they can build an offense around.

4. Oakland Raiders- Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

- A great selection for Oakland. They look to replace Warren Sapp with somewhat of a replica in Glenn Dorsey. This pick makes the most sense though Kiffin might push for Sedrick Ellis being that he coached him in USC and in the Senior Bowl but I see Dorsey being the pick.

5. Kansas City Chiefs- Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.

- Think Levi Brown of last year. A player who you know will be a solid if not great pro but really shouldn't get drafted as high as he will but will because of a team need. That's Clady and KC in a nut shell.

6. New York Jets- Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio St.

- You couldn't ask for a better fit at the "tweener" position that Vernon Gholston. Quick, fast, strong and kills the quarterback. Just what Eric Mangini has been looking for since taking over the reigns in New York.

7. New England Patriots (via SF)- Quentin Groves, DE/OLB, Auburn

- Ah. The first real "shock" pick of the draft. If this pick is not traded, corner could bsolutely be the pick here but with the uncertainty and age of the linebacking crew, the Pats take a bit of a reach for a guy who will start from day 1 and be a great outside rusher in their defense in Groves.

8. Baltimore Ravens- Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

- Not as high on Matty Ice as some are and think he'll drop and at #8, it's too good a value for the Ravens to pass up. McKelvin gets a serious look, but they opt to take the quarterback of the future in Ryan.

9. Cincinnati Bengals- Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

- A coup for the Bengals. One of the best players in the draft, a force on the d-line and he falls right in their laps at #9. Ellis is too good a talent to pass up and will play DT if Cincy sticks with the 4-3. He'll have a harder time finding a position in a 3-4 but make no mistake, he'll play and be a force.

10. New Orleans Saints- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee St.

- Surprise pick, part II. Mr. Cromartie is rising up the draft board faster than anyone else in this draft and with his combination of size and speed, plus the fact that New Orleans is on the verge of aquiring Jonathan Vilma, they pass on taking a linebacker and choose to help this pathetic defensive secondary and take the playmaking corner who should be just as good, if not better than his cousin.

11. Buffalo Bills- Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
12. Denver Broncos- Keith Rivers, OLB, USC
13. Carolina Panthers- Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
14. Chicago Bears- Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
15. Detroit Lions- Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illiinois
16. Arizona Cardinals- Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
17. Minnesota Vikings- Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
18. Houston Texans- Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
19. Philadelphia Eagles- Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan St.
21. Washington Redskins- Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
22. Dallas Cowboys (via CLE)- Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas
23. Pittsburgh Steelers- Branden Albert, OG, Virginia
24. Tennessee Titans- James Hardy, WR, Indiana
25. Seattle Seahawks- Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
26. Jacksonville Jaguars- Philip Merling, DE, Clemson
27. San Diego Chargers- Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
28. Dallas Cowboys- Reggie Smith, CB/S, Oklahoma
29. San Francisco 49ers (via IND)- DeSean Jackson, WR, California
30. Green Bay Packers- Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech
31. New England Patriots- Pick Forfeited
32. New York Giants- Kenny Philips, S, Miami (Fl)

Round 2

33. Miami Dolphins- Pat Sims, NT, Auburn
34. St. Louis Rams- Calais Campbell, DE, Miami (Fl)
35. Oakland Raiders- Carl Nicks, OT, Nebraska
36. Kansas City Chiefs- Dan Connor, MLB, Penn St.
37. New York Jets- Sam Baker, OT, USC
38. Atlanta Falcons- Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
39. Baltimore Ravens- Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
40. San Francisco 49ers- Trevor Laws, DL, Notre Dame
41. New Orleans Saints- Philip Wheeler, OLB, Georgia Tech
42. Buffalo Bills- Fred Davis, TE, USC
43. Denver Broncos- DaJuan Morgan, S, North Carolina St.
44. Carolina Panthers- Lawrence Jackson, DE, USC
45. Chicago Bears- Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware
46. Detroit Lions- Tracy Porter, CB, Indiana
47. Cincinnati Bengals- Kellen Davis, TE, Michigan St.
48. Minnesota Vikings- Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan
49. Atlanta Falcons (via HOU)-Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas
50. Philadelphia Eagles- Andre Caldwell, WR, Florida
51. Arizona Cardinals- Chris Ellis, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech
52. Washington Redskins- Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa
53. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn
54. Pittsburgh Steelers- Marcus Harrison, DL, Arkansas
55. Tennessee Titans- Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue
56. Seattle Seahawks- Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers
57. Green Bay Packers (via CLE)- Jerod Mayo, OLB, Tennessee
58. Miami Dolphins (via SD)- Chilo Rachal, OG, USC
59. Jacksonville Jaguars- Justin King, CB, Penn St.
60. Indianapolis Colts- Dre Moore, DT, Maryland
61. Green Bay Packers- Ahtyba Rubin, DT, Iowa St.
62. Dallas Cowboys- Early Doucet, WR, LSU
63. New England Patriots- Chevis Jackson, CB, LSU
64. New York Giants- Tavares Gooden, OLB, Miami (Fl)

Matthew Jones
02-28-2008, 11:11 PM
I could see it.

Yung Flippa
02-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Good Houston pick, Okay 1st. Good 2nd for Baltimore. But Quentin Groves as a top 10 pick? really?

GB12
02-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Terrible Packers mock. Connor or Phillips would be much better than Flowers in the first. LB is a good move in the second though I would prefer it would be Gooden. DT is not a need and sure as hell not in the second.

DI
02-28-2008, 11:21 PM
After his combine workout and his body of work in college, I feel that he'll be a great pro and his best fit would be as an outside backer in a 3-4 and besides long and gholston, i see him being the best one out of the whole "tweener" group, maybe turning out to be even better and he's a perfect fit opposite of Vrabel with Thomas moving inside with Bruschi.

doingthisinsteadofwork
02-28-2008, 11:27 PM
With Oakland resigning Kelly I think Gholston is the pick in round one.

BaLLiN
02-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Kenny Phillips in the first, Tavares Gooden in the second, not bad.

proshoota25
02-28-2008, 11:39 PM
i could def see the patriots picking groves, but under the assumption they trade down into the 20s areas

BeerBaron
02-28-2008, 11:50 PM
hmm...not bad but the bears draft chart seems to be shaping up williams-mendenhall-otah now....

especially with collins available in 2, i could see them going mendenhall first. wouldnt surprise me at all

Goatboy1717
02-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Terrible Packers mock. Connor or Phillips would be much better than Flowers in the first. LB is a good move in the second though I would prefer it would be Gooden. DT is not a need and sure as hell not in the second.

I completely agree here. If Corey Williams gets traded the Packers still have Jolly and Harrell. DT is a position that is deep for the Packers right now. Trading Williams is just opening up time for Harrell and Jolly.

defensiveback23
02-29-2008, 01:04 AM
Alright pick for the Chargers but would much prefer Phillips or Smith because the DB need is much greater than OT.

vidae
02-29-2008, 01:56 AM
I like your first KC pick, very good explanation for it as well, but I really don't understand the second pick. Linebacker is not really a need for us. Would have preferred Antoine Cason (or any CB really) or even Chilo Rachal to help fix our oline before we drafted a linebacker.

Good job overall though.

Crazy_Chris
02-29-2008, 03:10 AM
Great first round pick for the Vikings. Bad second round pick though, Vikes don't need another WR with drop concerns.

Thunder&Lightning
02-29-2008, 06:47 AM
pretty bad chargers pick. Kenny Phillips and Reggie Smith are still available does not make sense to me why they would not pick one of them. Phillips would be a dream pick for the chargers. If Phillips is available San Diego will take him.

T-RICH49
02-29-2008, 07:53 AM
KC will NOT reach for Clady when Ellis is on the board and RD 2 give us Godfrey

DowntownReggieBrown
02-29-2008, 08:34 AM
would love to see the Eagles get Jenkins at 19, but I think Caldwell might be a reach in rd 2.
I might take Merling rd 1 and Patrick Lee in rd 2 under your scenario, of course it all depends on what they do in FA

Oaktown1981
02-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Raiders won't draft Dorsey... He is another UT Raiders resigned Kelly to a big contract. If the Raiders do draft a DT it would be Ellis who can play NT in a 43 defense.

Gholston is another possible pick..

Dam8610
02-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Hooray, a need rather than OG or LB.

thebow305
02-29-2008, 10:45 AM
It's a pretty solid Phins mock. I would be extremely heartbroken if Kenny went one pick before us though. :(

portermvp84
02-29-2008, 12:06 PM
I like the Dorsey pick, but we could use a Wr in the second round.

21ST
02-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Solid redskins pick

Crickett
02-29-2008, 02:00 PM
2. St. Louis Rams- Jake Long, OT, Michigan

- I believe that his combine workout vaulted him from #5 with KC to #2 and St. Louis. Some believe he's better suited for RT but either way, he'll replace Ogden at LT or start at RT and move Barron back to LT so it's a win-win for St. Louis.

Drafting a right tackle second overall is not a win situation.
Nor is what would happen if Pace actually sticks around for a few more years.

Guys. I think you're overestimating the effects of injuries in this day and age. Rarely are season ending injuries CAREER ending injuries anymore.

4. Oakland Raiders- Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU

- A great selection for Oakland. They look to replace Warren Sapp with somewhat of a replica in Glenn Dorsey. This pick makes the most sense though Kiffin might push for Sedrick Ellis being that he coached him in USC and in the Senior Bowl but I see Dorsey being the pick.

What about the money they just shelled out to Tommy Kelly?

7. New England Patriots (via SF)- Quentin Groves, DE/OLB, Auburn

- Ah. The first real "shock" pick of the draft. If this pick is not traded, corner could bsolutely be the pick here but with the uncertainty and age of the linebacking crew, the Pats take a bit of a reach for a guy who will start from day 1 and be a great outside rusher in their defense in Groves.

Linebackers are getting older. Corners are getting 100 million dollar contracts from other teams (reportedly). You decide which is a more immediate problem.

32. New York Giants- Kenny Philips, S, Miami (Fl)

Really think the Chargers will pass on Phillips?

37. New York Jets- Sam Baker, OT, USC

Not the run blocker the Jets need at RT. I don't think he projects to RT in the NFL anyway.

48. Minnesota Vikings- Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan

The Vikings just got rid of a deep threat who couldn't catch the ball. Why would they draft another one?

61. Green Bay Packers- Ahtyba Rubin, DT, Iowa St.

So the Packers traded away a DT for a second round pick just so they could draft another one?

hugegmenfan
02-29-2008, 04:35 PM
pretty good giants draft- fills our 2 biggest needs

Yatta!
02-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Don't really like the Packers mock, we would definitely take Phillips or Connor over Flowers, preferably Phillips but then I realised you were a Giants fan so this is clearly your dream draft. Also there's no way we draft a DT that early, we will still have a very solid DT rotation. Harrell was a first round pick last year and only played when other guys went down with injuries, he will be expected to step up and replace the production of Williams.

asmitty45
03-01-2008, 01:08 PM
On Manningham:

[QUOTE=Crickett;924534] The Vikings just got rid of a deep threat who couldn't catch the ball. Why would they draft another one? QUOTE]

I love this quote. I hate Michigan. A deep threat who runs a 4.6 sounds like a winner.

For the Lions I like this draft a lot, Mendenhall is great (I like stewart more, but I would not complain in the least with Rashard) and Porter is a nice second rounder