PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Thread

PalmerToCJ
02-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Well, it's started. This is more to talk about where Smith, Williams and Johnson go. FA is depressing to me.

I don't mind letting Smith go but really wish they would've re-signed Madieu with how cheap safties are and if Landon isn't retained it better be a 3-4 swap... He's not great but he doesn't screw up either.

Otherwise, should be pretty boring in here until the dinosaurs have to sign somewhere.

themaninblack
02-29-2008, 12:24 PM
really didn't want to see madieu go. at all.

themaninblack
02-29-2008, 01:09 PM
not gonna get my hopes up but maybe we could trade some picks for marcus stroud?

PalmerToCJ
02-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Salary is too much, otherwise I'd be getting pumped too. Plus he's not 80 years old.

Sucks to see Madieu go but more for potential which he wasn't playing up to. White and Chinny were more than adequate out there at the end of last year so I don't think it hurts that bad.

themaninblack
02-29-2008, 01:19 PM
what is stroud's salary?

PalmerToCJ
02-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Via Geo in the main board thread:

Per rotoworld, Stroud's current deal calls for $11.5M over the next two years (5.5 this yr, 6 next) in base salary.

Bills board says he's going to visit there. As usual we'll just sit back and not spend a dime.

Bengals78
02-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Bengals aquire via trade for our 3rd and 5th it appears.

PalmerToCJ
02-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Shuts my mouth. This is HUGE in so many ways.

1. Gives us a MUCH needed interior pass rusher (well, pass rusher in general).
2. Gives Geathers a good DT next to him so he can use his pass rush better.
3. Allows us to address DE and LB in the first two rounds as opposed to worrying about DT.
4. I'm assuming this keeps us in the 4-3 given his success there but he'd be a beast of a NT so it leaves good options either way.

I'm not one to overreact to a deal. I thought signing Adams wasn't a big deal but this is huge to our immediate success. Our run D was good enough last year and this only makes it better.

Rivers or a DE in the first and second then we've got no gaping holes, just inexperience.

Hines
02-29-2008, 03:16 PM
If you can keep him motivated and consistant, then this is a good deal. If not, then I think the better deal goes out to Detroit. You got a few more holes in your defense to be good. I read somewhere that Marvin might go O in the first round but that was like a month ago. Good pickup for you guys, but we wont know untill the season if he will pan out.

Bengals1690
02-29-2008, 03:17 PM
OMG. im so freaking excited.

PalmerToCJ
02-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Shaun Rogers not caring >>>>> Thornton/Robinson in their prime combined.

Very low risk to give up the 3rd/5th. We should get a 3rd from Steinbach anyway. That DT spot other than Peko was a gaping hole.

themaninblack
02-29-2008, 04:23 PM
wow. after i just talked about how it would be a bad thing for us, im so happy about this. instantly makes our defense better and helps our secondary a ton.

Shere Khan
02-29-2008, 04:24 PM
excellent move by the Bengals.....now they are free to draft for the best player available and not by need.

they could very well pick up either an offensive or defensive player.

PalmerToCJ
02-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm glad the FO is making me look like a fool. Rogers is massive but Odom would be just as big.

26 years old coming off an 8 sack 7 pass deflection season...

Figured this was deserving of its own thread, signing him would just be HUGE. That gives us TWO pass rushers (Odom + Rogers 15 sacks is only 7 shy of our entire team total). I would be so freaking pumped if we manage him.

Then RIVERS in the first followed by BPA the rest of the draft, would probably be able to address OG/S/CB depth.

Mr. Stiller
02-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Shuts my mouth. This is HUGE in so many ways.

1. Gives us a MUCH needed interior pass rusher (well, pass rusher in general).
2. Gives Geathers a good DT next to him so he can use his pass rush better.
3. Allows us to address DE and LB in the first two rounds as opposed to worrying about DT.
4. I'm assuming this keeps us in the 4-3 given his success there but he'd be a beast of a NT so it leaves good options either way.

I'm not one to overreact to a deal. I thought signing Adams wasn't a big deal but this is huge to our immediate success. Our run D was good enough last year and this only makes it better.

Rivers or a DE in the first and second then we've got no gaping holes, just inexperience.

Um..

Rogers is not a passrusher. If you get him down to 325-330lbs he could bea dominate NT, but what about Peko?

Not one of the better deals IMO.

farfromforgotten
02-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Shaun Rogers not caring >>>>> Thornton/Robinson in their prime combined.

Heh. I find this statement comical. I will behave myself though.

You dont get Shaun Rogers for stats. In 7 years he has 355 tackles and 29 sacks. That is about 50 tackles and 4 sacks per season. His job is to be a space eater that can tie up lineman, allowing the players beside and behind him to make the big plays. That said, someone had to take a chance on him and it could pay off. I like this deal for you guys.

PalmerToCJ
02-29-2008, 05:05 PM
It was exaggeration, I realize Thornton was a stud at Tennessee... They were just bums here. Honestly, you can't say a half throttle Rogers isn't better than any DT we've had outside of Peko in the past I couldn't tell you how many years.

I realize pass rushing isn't his deal... Can't be weighing that much but he got to the QB unlike anyone on our team last year. I'm most excited about being able to put someone next to Geathers so he can hopefully do more in the pass rush. In 2005 he was a bear against us in that AFCN clinching game.

Still leaves 3-4 options up, not sure if that'll be the case with Odom to visit. I agree a 3-tech would've been better but beggers can't be choosers. As I've contested, I think Peko may be better suited at 3-4 DE. Guess we'll see.

themaninblack
02-29-2008, 05:44 PM
i guess 7 sacks isn't ideal? im not a stat man but it looks to me like he can do it all when motivated/healthy.

themaninblack
02-29-2008, 05:46 PM
id be happy to get him but for the right price. he's a freak athlete and would be a great situational pass rusher for us.

PalmerToCJ
02-29-2008, 05:46 PM
It's very reasonable to expect 4-5 out of him, which would've led our team last year. Again, I know he's no Warren Sapp in terms of pass rush but he's a boost for our team.

themaninblack
02-29-2008, 05:49 PM
i dont care if he gets a single sack. a man of his size and athletic ability almost automatically warrants a double team. combine that with the fact that he can actually pass rush, it helps a ton.

LonghornsLegend
02-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Good deal for Cincy, you guys need defense, and he adds pressure which leads to turnovers, he's just a piece of the puzzle, id still go defense with the first pick, just to make sure the defense is not a problem again...A change of scenery is all a player needs when he has been being lazy and not trying, that shows every year.

Bengals78
02-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Odom-Peko-Rogers-Geathers

Sounds pretty damn exciting. throw in Rivers at OLB from draft and use a 2nd rounder on oline or safety depth and we will be set with a young growing defense

lost33cause
02-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I would still like to get Ellis or Dorsey even if we get Odom. I think a better line with be Odom, Dorsey/Ellis, Rogers, and Geathers. I think Peko will always only be good enough as a backup. If we get Odom it would be tough to switch to a 3-4. I would also like to draft one of ther big DT's in the 4th or so as a backup to Rogers and as are future NT/DT.

Bengals78
02-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Ellis and Dorsey will most likely not be there. so bpa would be a likely scenario.

Bengals78
02-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Ok, so if the deal is called off, then can we atleast pursue Stroud? pretty please? Something to make the hemmoraging that we call a defense go away

farfromforgotten
02-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Ahh man, what bad luck. Deal is off...then he goes to division rival Cleveland? Ouch. Good luck with the rest of the FA period. I'm still waiting for my 9ers to make a move. Hoping to land Justin Smith.

PalmerToCJ
02-29-2008, 10:10 PM
This SUCKS! It was the kind of impact move we needed, ugh, out with the optimism.

DawgBone
03-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Shere Kan - I remember the post in your "quote"!

Funny that Joemontainya eneded up being exactly right and you were wrong?

Congrats on getting Rogers........Cleveland

Shere Khan
03-01-2008, 03:10 PM
That's SOOOOO wack.

Goddell has it out for us. If the trade fell through due to technicality, they need to outline exactly WHY this failed.

He's got some explaining to do, that's a bunch of drivel.

I'm so tired of him.

themaninblack
03-01-2008, 10:14 PM
nothing ever goes our way.

rickscott
03-02-2008, 04:38 PM
We make our own breaks and this team is so antiquated in it's handling of free agency, they bring in a bunch of so-so mid level free agents that won't do a damn thing for this team. They will throw away a little money on them only to cut them before camp even breaks. I am sick of this crap. If you're not going to pursue difference makers then get out of the damn business.

rickscott
03-02-2008, 04:41 PM
I think you're giving Odom too much credit. Brought in "for a visit" means nothing to this team. They will allow him to leave town to make other visits and then we'll hear how they tried. Bring in difference makers and sign them and the hell with mid-level free agentss.

PalmerToCJ
03-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Yeah... I was just oozing with optimism thinking the Rogers deal went down. I'm back to earth now, although, it would be very nice to sign him and not worry about DE's.

Mr. Stiller
03-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Guys. Be happy. Shaun Rogers is overrated. He's fat, Lazy and takes off weeks 5-17.

Draft Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey or Trevor Laws. You're going to get much more energy and someone to show up week in and weekout.

PalmerToCJ
03-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Being reported. I've heard some good things about what he was able to show in the 4-3 but don't have a ton of info. He struggled in the 4-3 and the Jets want to unload him (contract will be restructed).

He's listed at 317. With him and Peko that's a whole lotta meat. Good character is always a plus. I'll look for some more info on him as a player.

themaninblack
03-03-2008, 01:01 AM
like i said i dont know much about him but have heard that hes a pretty darn good player. we cant get any worse at DT with thornton and robinson playing so this should only be a good thing. No baggage like shaun rogers. Just hope the deal goes through this time.

PalmerToCJ
03-03-2008, 01:03 AM
In the other thread they just said he's more of a penetrator which is fine and dandy with me. That gerth will help clogging things up even if that's not his strength. I'm not all that concerned with our run D at this point, just a matter of getting to the QB and rushing them into bad passes which our strength (Secondary) can take advantage of.

Definetely hoping it goes through LOL, thus the question mark... Learned my lesson.

Why the Bengals
03-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Trade no good based on language. LEt's hope we can get Robertson now

Why the Bengals
03-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Robertson is a good player. It looks like it will be a 4-3 def However he does have some 3-4 experience although it does not suit him well. Good get for the Bengals. He is similar to Ellis who everybody wanted. This guy was a force his 1st year in the 4-3 for the Jets. he will be the under tackle, 3 technique and cause havoc. Good job rebounding by Marvin after the Rodgers trade died.
I still think we need defense with the 1st pick. Hopefully Ellis or Dorsey fall to us. I hope Dorsey's injury concrns get him falling down

Why the Bengals
03-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Odom is young but one good season should not be rewarded with a ridiclous contract. Sign him for decent money don;t get crazy

Crickett
03-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Robertson is a good player. It looks like it will be a 4-3 def However he does have some 3-4 experience although it does not suit him well. Good get for the Bengals. He is similar to Ellis who everybody wanted. This guy was a force his 1st year in the 4-3 for the Jets. he will be the under tackle, 3 technique and cause havoc. Good job rebounding by Marvin after the Rodgers trade died.
I still think we need defense with the 1st pick. Hopefully Ellis or Dorsey fall to us. I hope Dorsey's injury concrns get him falling down

DeWayne Robertson is a pretty good 4-3 undertackle. Not pro bowl level, but pretty good. Anything other than that, he's not going to do. He is not suited to the nose tackle position, he is DEFINITELY not suited to the 3-4 and he has always had trouble with double teams. That being said, you have no idea how glad I am that he's gone. The fact that the Jets got ANYTHING for him and his 13 million dollar cap number puts them ahead of the game IMO.

themaninblack
03-03-2008, 11:58 AM
they need to get this deal done. i'm intrigued by his skills as a 3-tech and hope he can improve with more time in this system.

PalmerToCJ
03-03-2008, 01:08 PM
If they can get his deal restructured we'd be big in the middle. 640 pounds big... Didn't realize he was a 3-tech either, perfect for what we need.

PalmerToCJ
03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
The LAST thing our FO would do is give someone a ridiculous contract and it's not because they're smart...

themaninblack
03-03-2008, 05:00 PM
ya id love 2 have him for the right price. he prolly wont be an every down end anyway so he wouldnt get that type of money from us.

themaninblack
03-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Per Bengals.com

Antwan Odom has signed a 5 yr 30 Million Dollar deal that includes $11 Million guaranteed.

lost33cause
03-04-2008, 12:00 AM
we still need a DT in FA and in round 1 of draft AND Frank Okham in 3rd for our NT if we are going to the hybrid type f defense.

lost33cause
03-04-2008, 12:04 AM
So much for that trade as well huh

themaninblack
03-04-2008, 12:12 AM
frank okam hopefully never puts on a bengals uni. i think we still have a shot at robertson and if not we need to get a DT opposite Peko. I think we should give Peko a shot at NT and see what happens before we spend a **** ton of money on one. He fits the bill with his natural leverage and size. he's also very athletic for a man of his size. who knows though...

Why the Bengals
03-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Someone up there does not like us

PalmerToCJ
03-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Ugh... Glad we got Odom but I would've rather had Robertson.

lost33cause
03-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I like Ohkam b/c hes a big young space eater =\. We are going against a lo of running teams this year so if we can't stop the run we r ******.

themaninblack
03-06-2008, 09:04 AM
okam def has the size and physical abilities you look for but id much rather(if we were even going to try and get one) see a young space eater ala Red Bryant.

PalmerToCJ
03-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Marvin basically said the deal isn't dead... Guess we'll see but I doubt anything happens.

BlindSite
03-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey guys,

Just looking for the inside scoop on this kid. From what I've seen statistically he's a baller and makes plays but I've only seen a handful of Bengals games since 04 and therefore I can't really make a good judge on this addition.

IMO he on the weakside inside Beason could be a lethal combo. Your thoughts?

PalmerToCJ
03-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Like I said in the Panthers thread... He's an average but steady LB. He doesn't miss a lot of tackles but he doesn't take them down at the point of contact, too many times they take him another 2-3 yards. He's adequate in coverage but won't make any big plays.

He's someone you want as a first backup at LB but I don't think it would be a great idea for a team to take him and lock him in as the starter. I really wished we would've kept him, you need guys like him on your team.

themaninblack
03-08-2008, 07:24 PM
pretty on point with those statements. he's a solid player who is good to have on your team. you get what you pay for pretty much...

rickscott
03-08-2008, 09:30 PM
I liked him too but he seemed to get pushed around alot although he was always there to make a tackle. Smart, professional guy that will give a solid effort every time out.

themaninblack
03-10-2008, 05:56 PM
According to Bengals.com, We have signed former Cardinals LB Darryl Blackstock.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6681

yay.

rickscott
03-10-2008, 07:01 PM
He's a pretty good edge rusher with 3 sacks in limited play last year. I think he can help us and he's young.

PalmerToCJ
03-10-2008, 07:32 PM
No doubt they're addressing the pass rush (or lack thereof), along with our lack of LB depth.

Things should be interesting, just saw that Jeanty is the LB with the most games as a Bengal (a whole 22, yikes).

Give us Ellis in the first, Pollack back at DE then our 2nd/probable 2 3rd rounders can be spent on LB/RB/OL. Hope Utecht gets signed so TE isn't a concern.

Mr. Stiller
03-11-2008, 02:29 AM
Looking like a 3-4 Is possible.

Odom could play 1-gap 3-4 WDE.

Peko could be your NT.

Need a SDE. Geathers ~ Brooks ~ Thurman ~ Pollack/Blackstock.

themaninblack
03-11-2008, 03:08 AM
could odom play SOLB in a 3-4? if not it could be him at WDE, Peko at NT, Fanene/Rucker at SDE, Geathers/Pollack/Henderson/Blackstock outside, and Thurman/Brooks/Jeanty/Jones inside. Jeanty could also go outside if need be. Im starting to like the way this defense looks in both schemes in the front 7 if all plays out well for us injury wise. Our secondary should be pretty nice as well though I'd like to see another safety added and maybe a CB. For some reason I don't see Ndukwe being a starter, I really like him in the role he played for much of this season. Marvin White could do real well back there with the addition of a draft pick ala kenny phillips(hopefully round 2?) or even ethan kilmer back there.

Why the Bengals
03-11-2008, 08:34 AM
It's good to see investing in the front seven. I pray they do not think this is all that needs to be done. I hear rumors of the Bengals selecting a O-tackle at the 9th spot. We better get another front seven d player in the first two rounds and than worry about best available after that.

themaninblack
03-11-2008, 09:11 AM
OT is the last thing i see us getting in the first. i could see a RB maybe but other than that it should be a defender depending on whos there. i really would like to see us trade down if ellis/dorsey/rivers arent there.

PalmerToCJ
03-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Looking like a 3-4 Is possible.

Odom could play 1-gap 3-4 WDE.

Peko could be your NT.

Need a SDE. Geathers ~ Brooks ~ Thurman ~ Pollack/Blackstock.

Interesting, I didn't realize Odom was 3-4 DE capable, I guess he could add a few pounds. Guess we'll see. I honestly think (health provided) that Ahmad/Odell will start the year off.

PalmerToCJ
03-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Scouts inc info on him...

Comment: Blackstock is aggressive and explosive. He has an excellent first step and initial burst. He displays good overall quickness and play speed. He can blow up ball carriers. He can be devastating when moving forward and attacking downhill. But Blackstock isn't very agile, mature or prepared for a 4-3 scheme. He needs to become a better worker, especially because he has so many adjustments to make from his playing style as a college 3-4 linebacker. He is accustomed to being an upfield player. He looks a little stiff when playing in reverse. He must improve his instincts, particularly in coverage. He can be a step late to react and loses leverage on ball carriers.

I'm as confused as ever about what we're going to do defensively. Maybe see more 3-4 packages in passing situations?

AkiliSmith
03-11-2008, 11:17 PM
There's NO WAY a full switch to a 3-4 is going to happen. Odom is a 4-3 end. We'll see the 3-4 look maybe 10 total times a game.

themaninblack
03-12-2008, 12:41 AM
the way i see it is that we have enough versatility to move between sets quite flawlessly. that said, 4-3 will be our main look for awhile until they can begin to add new things down the road.

Bengals78
03-12-2008, 01:51 PM
From what it sounds we are gonna be running a ravens type D with a mix of both 4-3 3-4. Maybe the 4-6 Bear? lol

PalmerToCJ
03-12-2008, 02:01 PM
We're the new Ravens D, I mean, with a mix and their LB coach it's a reasonable conclusion.

Top 5 D and Top 5 O next year, book it.

I'm laying on the sarcasm thick today.

themaninblack
03-12-2008, 04:34 PM
top 15 D next year for sure.

and thats serious.

PalmerToCJ
03-12-2008, 06:00 PM
I sure hope so, that would be HUGE.

Mostly depends on Odell playing (well), Ahmad being healthy... Generally just having half decent health.

themaninblack
03-12-2008, 06:19 PM
i just want them to be MEAN. and healthy, but definitely MEAN.

Bengalsrocket
03-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Having the personnel to switch between 3-4 and 4-3 is 10x more powerful than sticking with a base and running it through the majority of the game. Versatility is what throws QB's off, especially inexperienced ones.

Bengals78
03-13-2008, 05:53 PM
the defense needs to be mean and a nasty attitude. Those two things alone can make a defense 10x better

PalmerToCJ
03-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Agreed completely, so much of our problems are mental. They'll go great, give up one big play then implode.

If they would play aggressive and try to beat up on other teams they'd automatically be better. I think part of the reason D's with crappy offenses play better is because they know they have to make a stop or else the game's over while our D generally can screw up and potentially get bailed out.

themaninblack
03-14-2008, 08:51 PM
According to Bengals.com the team has reached a deal with Colt's TE Ben Utecht. We'll have to wait a week or so to see if the Colts try to match. This would be a very nice addition!

PalmerToCJ
03-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Wooohooo I sure hope so.

Takes away having to draft one and he's what we need...

lost33cause
03-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Gives us a proven pass catching TE and saves us a draft pick.

themaninblack
03-15-2008, 12:34 AM
him and chris henry could be quite formidable in the red zone.

PalmerToCJ
03-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Lets see, making the insane assumption that a deal works for us and we don't need a TE...

1st - Ellis or Rivers, please just make it easy and be Ellis... He's exactly what we need.
2nd - WLB/RB/OL
3rd - same as 2nd with CB/S added... Need depth.
3rd comp. - same as 2nd
and on and on...

Signing the TE/DE's in FA has really opened things up for us in the draft. They're by no means blockbuster signings but it buys us time, that to me is the real beauty of free agency. If you have a spot of immediate need, fill it, then draft/groom the guy to replace them.

rickscott
03-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Let's give up a pick since we're loaded with supple picks this year and move up to insure we get Ellis in Rd 1. We will need a quality return man in the way of a RB or WR likely and a CB but I think we must draft 2 DTs and both must be pretty good picks that will play significant minutes this season.

PalmerToCJ
03-16-2008, 12:24 PM
I'd actually like to see a trade up in the 2nd round. Give up a 3rd to try and grab Kenny Phillips or Dan Connor. Although I doubt the move for Phillips and I understand, we don't really need another good young saftey but I really like Phillips so I'd like to see it happen.

themaninblack
03-16-2008, 05:49 PM
i think we must get ellis. i doubt he falls so a trade up would actually be a good thing in this case.

Bengalsrocket
03-18-2008, 09:40 PM
1st - Ellis or Rivers, please just make it easy and be Ellis... He's exactly what we need.
2nd - WLB/RB/OL
3rd - same as 2nd with CB/S added... Need depth.
3rd comp. - same as 2nd
and on and on...

I hope we don't draft a RB in the first 5. We have Chris Perry (Bengals.com says he will be there for the month of may training), Kenny Irons, Dede Dorsey, Rudi, Kenny Watson.

To evaluate them all in my opinion:

Chris Perry - Pretty injury prone, but he's shown signs that he can in fact run the ball for us.

Kenny Iron - has yet to prove anything for us. However, he hasn't disproven anything to us yet either.

Dede Dorsey - Showed big flashes last year of being a play maker. He's kind of small (5'10, 196 lbs - which is about 20 lbs less than rudi) but I'll take any play maker at least for depth, maybe even a third down back.

Kenny Watson - He proved he can be a work horse. I don't think he's a great running back, but he'll prove to be extremely helpful to at least add depth.

Rudi Johnson - ok, if you watched last year and only last year you're probably thinking "Why would any team give this man the ball again". But if you've been watching the bengals since 2003 then you know Rudi is the kind of guy you can cram up the middle 20-25 times a game and get a 4 yard carry average.

Does Rudi have any gas left in the tank? I'd like to think so. He's done a lot for this franchise and I think Marvin likes him. Why waste another 2nd round pick on a RB when we got a couple guys we at least need to test first.

Now, I don't want the 08' season to have the same running game as the 07' season either, so yes there needs to be some changes. But I don't think a new running back pick in the first 1-5 rounds are going to change it.

So with that being said, I'd like the line up to look like this:

Rudi Johnson - starter
Dede Dorsey - 3rd down back / 2nd string
Chris Perry - 3rd String
Kenny Watson - 4th String
Kenny Irons - 5th string until proven he can compete at a high level (hopefully in the pre-season)

Though, knowing Marvin and how much he loves the running game, I can't see us not getting a running back in the first 5 rounds. I just hope whoever it is doesn't get injured before he can prove that he's an NFL back.

Also to add back to the original topic - I'm glad we picked up Utecht, he's a solid TE that can hopefully give Palmer another option. TJ & Chad, chris Henry, Utecht and then whoever we have out of the backfield next year should hopefully prove to be that potent Bengals offense we're used to seeing around here.

Mr. Stiller
03-18-2008, 11:53 PM
There's NO WAY a full switch to a 3-4 is going to happen. Odom is a 4-3 end. We'll see the 3-4 look maybe 10 total times a game.

I don't see Why Odom can't add about 10 lbs this offseason and play the 3-4 WDE Role. He's a decent passrusher and having him outside will make things easier because LT's will have to account for him.

I doubt you move to a fulltime 3-4, but there is NO WAY that it's impossible for Odom to play RDE in a 3-4.

rickscott
03-19-2008, 11:26 AM
The guy has finally come into his own after 4 yrs and now you want to change his entire game and have him add weight? He's never been a real good run stopper anyway. His strength is rushing the passer. Let's take advantage of what the guys does best and count on our improved DT play and LB play to take care of the rest

themaninblack
03-19-2008, 11:36 AM
ya its not like he has to be on the field if we are going to have a 34 look some of the time.

MooshooGawd
03-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I think that this defense will be one of those defenses surprises. They've not done an overhaul.

We have basically the same D-Line...
We have a some question marks at LB...
We have two young guys at safety....

Based off the way this defense has been under Lewis, and with those point, everyone expects it to be bad...horrible even. But every year there is a defense that people expect to be bad, that manages to get it done.

I don't think they'll be anything flashy. I don't think they'll be good enough to deserve a nickname. But I think this defense will be really good, for some reason. Hell, after 5 years, you're bound to have a good defense by accident, right?

themaninblack
03-23-2008, 11:58 AM
if they are solid we have a great chance at the playoffs. if they are really good we have a chance at the superbowl.

XOrange&BlackX
03-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Dont forget we have Mike Zimmer who made the Cowboys into a great defense

Shere Khan
03-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Plus Fitzgerald. He knows a thing or two about Linebackers.