PDA

View Full Version : FA signings that impact us

BeerBaron
02-28-2008, 11:52 PM
well, the fins jumped on smiley. so theres one guard gone that we may have been looking at

link: http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=1036034&mode

DaBear89
02-29-2008, 12:18 AM
with everything thats been going on in the past few days this is starting to look like a very ugly offseason for us.../sigh

bearsfan_51
02-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Haha..lets not get too depressed about Justin Smiley.

I really doubt we were targeting him anyway. He's pretty much strictly a right guard, which is where he will play in Miami.

DaBear89
02-29-2008, 12:25 AM
i know, that was just a general statement about my feeling of our preceived lack of will/want to go after what we need

BeerBaron
02-29-2008, 12:33 AM
again, not a guy we were probably looking at but OT kwame harris is a raider now too...

pellepelle_10
02-29-2008, 11:05 AM
How do you guys feel about SS-Gibril Wilson? I would really like for us to make an honest effort at him so that way we don't have to make Safety as much of a need come draft time. Right now we're in a situation where we could use 2 draftee's at the position instead of 1. I'm really hoping we make a splash at him. I'm hoping Briggs doesn't get the love he thought he would making him sign with us..lol

awfullyquiet
02-29-2008, 11:19 AM
How do you guys feel about SS-Gibril Wilson? I would really like for us to make an honest effort at him so that way we don't have to make Safety as much of a need come draft time. Right now we're in a situation where we could use 2 draftee's at the position instead of 1. I'm really hoping we make a splash at him. I'm hoping Briggs doesn't get the love he thought he would making him sign with us..lol

Why do we need another SS?

I'd pick ty law over gibril wilson.

BeerBaron
02-29-2008, 11:27 AM
well one safety we wont get is madeau williams, hes a viking now

bearsfan_51
02-29-2008, 12:25 PM
According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, the Jags have reached an agreement with Jerry Porter on a six-year deal worth $30 million, with $10 million in guaranteed money.

I never really wanted Porter, but that should set the market for D.J Hackett and Bryant Johnson. All three will likely get similar deals.

Considering we offered Berrian 5 years-25 million with 8 mil to sign, we better up the ante or be real comfortable with Hester-Bradley for next year.

BeerBaron
02-29-2008, 12:28 PM
aye, i wasnt looking at porter much either but theres another one gone. devery henderson is also likely to sign with tampa, so theres another WR potentially gone. one we were looking at? probably not....but nonetheless, the market goes down a little more without us doing anything

bearsfan_51
02-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Henderson signing with Tampa would actually be great for us, as it eliminates another team looking at Berrian, Hackett, and Johnson. Same with Jacksonville really.

BeerBaron
02-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Henderson signing with Tampa would actually be great for us, as it eliminates another team looking at Berrian, Hackett, and Johnson. Same with Jacksonville really.

very true though i think berrian is going to be a viking. the owner wilf did the whole pick him up in his personal plane and barricade him there ive read. so who knows but that seems like a bad sign.....

out of those other 2 though, who do you prefer? i think hackett might not be a bad addition but i think washington might be trying pool some resources to grab him since his position coach is the HC there now.

we might be stuck with the leftover johnson....eh. might be alright but i kind of wonder if we wouldnt get eh same potential (and cheaper) if we just tried going with hester/bradley/davis/first 3 round rookie

bearsfan_51
02-29-2008, 12:36 PM
I've let it be known I prefer Hackett to Johnson.

Both have been limited exposure because of the people playing in front of them, but I think Hackett gives better upside. I look at Johnson and see a career #2/#3 tweener. Hackett is probably in that mold too, but could be a more dynamic starter if given the opportuity.

I also am pretty sure the Vikes will sign Berrian. I'm hoping that JA can at least jake the price up on them though. The Vikings have a history of drastically overpaying for people.

BeerBaron
02-29-2008, 02:12 PM
aye, raising the price a little would be smart since its also a division rival and all...

also, dont know if any of these affect us but the dolphins signed reggie torbor, ernest wilford and randy starks. so theres a WR and DT gone now too

Bearsfan123
02-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Anyone heard about any disgruntled receivers wanted to be traded? lol it looks like if we want a half-way decent one itll be drafted or traded for at this rate.

on a side note, 1 3rd and 5th for Shaun Rogers. I wonder if itll take a 2nd and 5th for Stroud then?

Gay Ork Wang
02-29-2008, 05:17 PM
I dont think stroud would be any good for us

Bearsfan123
02-29-2008, 05:22 PM
I dont think stroud would be any good for us

i was just asking if that would be the price. I dont think we need him, but is that what it takes to get him about? Im just wondering if his value is higher than Rogers.

BeerBaron
02-29-2008, 05:27 PM
i was just asking if that would be the price. I dont think we need him, but is that what it takes to get him about? Im just wondering if his value is higher than Rogers.

idk, id say it would be similar though. maybe a 3rd and a condition 4/5 or something.

pellepelle_10
02-29-2008, 06:13 PM
idk, id say it would be similar though. maybe a 3rd and a condition 4/5 or something.

I would rather select someone who doesn't like to ***** everytime contract time rolls around. Here's an update on someone I was hoping we'd take a look at.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/02/bears_working_on_visit_with_wr.html#more

bearsfan_51
02-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I love how the Bears are trying to cover face by telling anyone that will listen that activity in FA doesn't equal winning.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4427

To Jerry's credit he's been saying the same thing since he took over, and he's right, but it's funny because they are clearly anticipating their fan base being pissed off about not signing Faneca and not resigning their own players.

BeerBaron
02-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I would rather select someone who doesn't like to ***** everytime contract time rolls around. Here's an update on someone I was hoping we'd take a look at.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2008/02/bears_working_on_visit_with_wr.html#more

wait, i wasnt saying i wanted stroud, i was just answering his question as to what it would probably take to land stroud.

anyway, we've been discussing johnson over in the other thread. my opinion is mixed, idk if its worth paying him a lot since he might not actually be that much better than what we would go in with anyway

also, anyone who wanted us to get gibril wilson is SoL. he just signed with the raiders for something in the ball park of 6 years 39 mil

bearsfan_51
02-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Let's say the Bears give Johnson the same contract they offered Berrian (5-25 with 8 mil guaranteed).

I think that would be a great deal for both sides honestly. It's slightly less than what the Jags gave Jerry Porter.

pellepelle_10
02-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Let's say the Bears give Johnson the same contract they offered Berrian (5-25 with 8 mil guaranteed).

I think that would be a great deal for both sides honestly. It's slightly less than what the Jags gave Jerry Porter.

I'm hoping we don't give Johnson anything NEAR what they offered Berrian. I won't be mad if they do but he hasn't proven what Berrian has. I know he's capable of it but he hasn't put up the number to warrant that type of pay. I'm hoping we can get a good deal on him personally. With the way this FA has gone sofar we may end up paying out the a__.

pellepelle_10
02-29-2008, 06:48 PM
wait, i wasnt saying i wanted stroud, i was just answering his question as to what it would probably take to land stroud.

anyway, we've been discussing johnson over in the other thread. my opinion is mixed, idk if its worth paying him a lot since he might not actually be that much better than what we would go in with anyway

also, anyone who wanted us to get gibril wilson is SoL. he just signed with the raiders for something in the ball park of 6 years 39 mil

It was probably me...well that burns. lol

bearsfan_51
02-29-2008, 06:49 PM
The offer we gave to Berrian is a ******* joke. He'll likely get twice that.

Honestly it's embaressing how cheap the Bears are sometimes.

8 mil to sign is a good deal for Johnson. Look around at the market. Justin Smiley got 9 mil and he's a mediocre guard.

BeerBaron
02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
VOLEK STAYS PUT

A strong performance in the AFC divisional round against the Colts wasn't enough to get Chargers quarterback Billy Volek any big offers in free agency.

And so he'll stay with the Bolts, with a three year deal.

"This is a great team," Volek told the San Diego Union Tribune.

Volek reportedly drew interest from the Bears, Vikings, Raiders, and Bills.

looks like we were interested in volek at one point....im a little glad that didnt happen

DaBears9654
02-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Why do we need another SS?

I'd pick ty law over gibril wilson.
I have the above question about cornerbacks. Tillman, Vasher, & RMJ are one of the best starting/nickel trios and McBride showed promise as a rookie.

bearsfan_51
02-29-2008, 07:02 PM
aq is going under the false notion that ty law can play safety in our defense.

BeerBaron
02-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I have the above question about cornerbacks. Tillman, Vasher, & RMJ are one of the best starting/nickel trios and McBride showed promise as a rookie.

i....agree? im not sure what the question is but that is a pretty nice group of corners

BeerBaron
03-01-2008, 12:03 PM
looks like beefalo is bringing in bryant johnson for a visit. this is what i meant earlier in that if we want any of these guys, we at least need to get off our asses and start talking to them.

BeerBaron
03-01-2008, 06:10 PM
again, not a guy we were probably looking at but cleveland just signed stallworth removing another FA WR from teh market

pellepelle_10
03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
looks like beefalo is bringing in bryant johnson for a visit. this is what i meant earlier in that if we want any of these guys, we at least need to get off our asses and start talking to them.

This is what I despise from our franchise. They play this wait game crap and get burned everytime. There is no sense of urgency even when our players get ripped from us. Bryant Johnson should be a priority right now to help our now anemic receiving core. I think waiting on Briggs could work in our favor but they should really bring in Demorrio Williams asap.

BeerBaron
03-01-2008, 10:09 PM
This is what I despise from our franchise. They play this wait game crap and get burned everytime. There is no sense of urgency even when our players get ripped from us. Bryant Johnson should be a priority right now to help our now anemic receiving core. I think waiting on Briggs could work in our favor but they should really bring in Demorrio Williams asap.

well waiting on briggs did work. waiting on....anyone else....really hasnt.....

btw, teh contract for briggs is 6 years, 36 mil, 12 mil guranteed

pellepelle_10
03-01-2008, 10:32 PM
well waiting on briggs did work. waiting on....anyone else....really hasnt.....

btw, teh contract for briggs is 6 years, 36 mil, 12 mil guranteed

Damnit..just posted that..lol! Nice find Beer.

awfullyquiet
03-01-2008, 11:23 PM
aq is going under the false notion that ty law can play safety in our defense.

Why can't he?
He's played under Herm Edwards for 2 years. I don't see why he couldn't.

Sure he wouldn't play a SS. But, he's good in coverage, he has the size, mentality, motivated, and would provide depth even if he doesn't have the same speed that'd be necessary for a cornerback due to his age. He'll be a good asset as a FS.

bearfan
03-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Stop Gap. We are not that close to being contenders IMO, I would pass on Law

BeerBaron
03-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Stop Gap. We are not that close to being contenders IMO, I would pass on Law

well, ill agree to pass on him because he would only be a stop gap but i think with a healthy defense and hester doing his thing, we could be a .500 team and in the NFC, thats almost enough to contend.

we get a few lucky breaks and who knows....it all depends on the offense though

regoob2
03-02-2008, 12:29 PM
I hope we take a look at OL Maurice Williams. He can play RT or OG and I liked what I saw from him in the few Jags games I watched. He could give us some flexibility with the draft.

bearsfan_51
03-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Why can't he?
He's played under Herm Edwards for 2 years. I don't see why he couldn't.

Sure he wouldn't play a SS. But, he's good in coverage, he has the size, mentality, motivated, and would provide depth even if he doesn't have the same speed that'd be necessary for a cornerback due to his age. He'll be a good asset as a FS.

Why in the world would we sign a 34 year old ex-cornerback to provide depth at safety? Just look at what you're saying and tell me it makes sense.

And free safties in our scheme need a ton of speed because they are covering half the field. I mean....honestly....

BeerBaron
03-02-2008, 01:24 PM
well, theres a bunch of teams interested in the released javon walker and im glad to say we're not among them

"According to Michael Smith of ESPN.com, at least ten teams have inquired about receiver Javon Walker's availability -- the 49ers, Bills, Buccaneers, Panthers, Raiders, Vikings, Giants, Redskins, Cowboys, and Eagles."

phew....one injury prone headache we wont be adding

bearfan
03-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Looks like Bryant Johnson is close to agreement w/ the Bills or has agreed to contract. I am not sold on Hackett, I like him, but I am not sold on his potential to be a good reciever, and stay healthy. I hope that we now look at Hardy/Sweed/Urrita and some other WRs in the draft.

BeerBaron
03-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Looks like Bryant Johnson is close to agreement w/ the Bills or has agreed to contract. I am not sold on Hackett, I like him, but I am not sold on his potential to be a good reciever, and stay healthy. I hope that we now look at Hardy/Sweed/Urrita and some other WRs in the draft.

boy, i wasnt really all for signing johnson anyway but man, to see the well keep getting dryer.....its not a good feeling.

as for some rookies, hardy and sweed probably arent going to be our picks in round 1 and i highly doubt theyre still around at our 2nd rounder. and urrutia....eh, hes probably a late round, developmental kind of guy at best.

its looking more and more like bradley and hester as 1 and 2 right now. loads of potential there as we've discussed many a times here, but very little proven....

i think we should add a big bodied WR with one of our 2 3rd rounders. adrian arrington, adarius bowman, simpson, nelson, etc...theyd all fit the bill. out of those guys, i think id prefer arrington

bearfan
03-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I wasnt to h ot on the Johnson signing either, but I think it would have been a little more stable. Maybe Sweed and Hardy dont make it out of round 1, but remember who our GM is, he will look for a trade down ;).

I dont know much about Bowman or Simpson, but I wouldnt want Nelson on the team..probably b/c of the overhype here lol. And I agree a big bodied reciever, I like Monk a lot too as a later round pick, and like I said, I wouldnt mind Urrita b/c of his height, and decent speed

regoob2
03-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I hope we sign someone on offense. I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope we can bring in Maurice Williams and Hackett.

bearfan
03-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Im crossing my fingers for Jacob Bell, or Jake Scott depending on whether he can flourish outside of Indy (which I hear is a knock on their OLmen). Thats about it now.

regoob2
03-02-2008, 05:43 PM
I wasnt to h ot on the Johnson signing either, but I think it would have been a little more stable. Maybe Sweed and Hardy dont make it out of round 1, but remember who our GM is, he will look for a trade down ;).

I dont know much about Bowman or Simpson, but I wouldnt want Nelson on the team..probably b/c of the overhype here lol. And I agree a big bodied reciever, I like Monk a lot too as a later round pick, and like I said, I wouldnt mind Urrita b/c of his height, and decent speed
The only reciever I actually want out of that bunch is Jordy. I think he has good potential. He catches the ball well with his hands, has a nice build and has good long speed. His only major weakness is that he has a real slow first couple steps.

BeerBaron
03-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Im crossing my fingers for Jacob Bell, or Jake Scott depending on whether he can flourish outside of Indy (which I hear is a knock on their OLmen). Thats about it now.

wouldnt want teh colts guys.....undersized if i recall correctly and like you said, product of a crazy good offensive system which we have nothing like...

and as for the receivers, id take any out of that bunch listed above with arrington as my favorite.

and ive kind of given up on FA receivers. hackett gets a "meh" at best and theres none others that im aware of that would be worth a damn

pellepelle_10
03-03-2008, 03:05 AM

He has a huge upside IF he can stay healthy. The problem is...IF he can stay healthy. How many times have we heard this one before. I wouldn't be upset because if he could turn around his career and remain healthy he'd definatelly be a very solid starter.

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 03:22 AM
The problem with Jake Scott is that he's essentially limited to RG, and we've got more needs to fill than to worry about Garza at this point.

I really like Jacob Bell, but I think we may shy away because he's a bit smallish. I'm really suprised a team like the Packers hasn't jumped all over him though.

BeerBaron
03-03-2008, 08:14 AM
so if we dont end up signing any guards, what does the prospect of drafting someone in rounds 2-4 and then have them compete with st. clair look like?

pellepelle_10
03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Buccaneers | Team acquires Griese
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:05:55 -0800

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced Monday, March 3, that they acquired QB Brian Griese (Bears) from the Chicago Bears in exchange for an undisclosed draft pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

this wasn't anything major so i put it under this thread. IC Griese goes back to Tampa. I wish him the best.

DaBears9654
03-03-2008, 04:30 PM
i....agree? im not sure what the question is but that is a pretty nice group of corners
The original q was why do we need another safety? I was saying that same thing about cornerbacks b/c it's probably our deepest position.

BeerBaron
03-03-2008, 05:12 PM
The original q was why do we need another safety? I was saying that same thing about cornerbacks b/c it's probably our deepest position.

right well probably could stand to add a safety though. set on corner, not so set on safety.

if someone could gurantee me that mike brown would stay healthy, id be all for him and dan manning having at it with our backups from last year still as the backups.

sadly, mike brown is never healthy....missed something like 50 of the past 68 games i recall hearing...

so yeah, we should probably get our hands on a safety who could start soon if called upon

BeerBaron
03-03-2008, 09:38 PM
well, bell wont be our guard this year. he signed a 6 year deal with the rams

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 09:39 PM
I liked Bell but I'm not suprised. He's not an in the trenches mauler type, which I think is more what we're looking for in our interior lineman. He'll do well for the Rams though, I'm just happy the Packers didn't sign him as I think he'd be tremendous in a ZBS.

BeerBaron
03-03-2008, 09:42 PM
I liked Bell but I'm not suprised. He's not an in the trenches mauler type, which I think is more what we're looking for in our interior lineman. He'll do well for the Rams though, I'm just happy the Packers didn't sign him as I think he'd be tremendous in a ZBS.

well yeah, that may be, but i guess we're pretty much left with no interesting FAs anymore....

time to look even more forward to the draft

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 09:44 PM
You never know. Jerry has made some late moves in the past that nobody really expected (John Tait, Ricky Manning Jr, Darwin Walker, Wale Ogunleye). His MO seems to be working the RFA market and looking for disgruntled players to trade for.

BeerBaron
03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
yeah, yyyyeah i guess so. i dont think all that many trades of young, talented o-lineman go down all that often though...

and i can't really envision a trade for one of our other needs really. maybe we find a receiver somewhere, but that seems kind of unlikely.

pellepelle_10
03-04-2008, 12:43 AM
yeah, yyyyeah i guess so. i dont think all that many trades of young, talented o-lineman go down all that often though...

and i can't really envision a trade for one of our other needs really. maybe we find a receiver somewhere, but that seems kind of unlikely.

DJ Hackett isn't bad at all but the only problem is he suffers from the same issues Chris Brown does. Neither can stay healthy but when they are they perform great.

regoob2
03-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Has anyone heard anything about Maurice Williams OL? He's probably my favorite OL left in FA. All I read was possibly Atlanta. thanks.

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Has anyone heard anything about Maurice Williams OL? He's probably my favorite OL left in FA. All I read was possibly Atlanta. thanks.

i havent heard anything about maurice but i know the jags just cut one of their guards in naoele (or however its spelled)

but hes just another old guy whos a stop gap at best, so id stay away from him.....

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Naeole will probably retire. He's got the same pectoral issues that Rueben has. It's hard to play in the interior if the muscles you use to push with are torn.

Gay Ork Wang
03-04-2008, 12:25 PM
What about that Miami Guy? Hadnot?

regoob2
03-04-2008, 07:10 PM
i havent heard anything about maurice but i know the jags just cut one of their guards in naoele (or however its spelled)

but hes just another old guy whos a stop gap at best, so id stay away from him.....
Maurice isn't a filler IMO, I think he definetly has starting potential. He was very good for the Jags when he played and is still very athletic for a O-lineman. I would like to see him come with a 4-5 year deal and be a starter at either OG spot or RT. He can play all 4 OL spots but wouldn't be a great fit for LT. Bringing him in would give us a ton of flexibility in the draft. We could go Chris Williams.
LT LG C RG RT
C.Williams M.Williams Kreutz Garza Tait

or we could go Otah, Cherilus, or Nicks possibly in round 2.

LT LG C RG RT
Tait M.Williams/Otah/Nicks Kreutz Garza Otah/Gosder/Nicks/M.Williams

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Maurice isn't a filler IMO, I think he definetly has starting potential. He was very good for the Jags when he played and is still very athletic for a O-lineman. I would like to see him come with a 4-5 year deal and be a starter at either OG spot or RT. He can play all 4 OL spots but wouldn't be a great fit for LT. Bringing him in would give us a ton of flexibility in the draft. We could go Chris Williams.
LT LG C RG RT
C.Williams M.Williams Kreutz Garza Tait

or we could go Otah, Cherilus, or Nicks possibly in round 2.

LT LG C RG RT
Tait M.Williams/Otah/Nicks Kreutz Garza Otah/Gosder/Nicks/M.Williams

i was saying that naeole would be a stop gap but it looks like hes too hurt to play anywhere...as for williams, i dont know.

regoob2
03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Maurice Williams resigned with the Jags.

BeerBaron
03-06-2008, 12:51 PM
http://www.nfl.com/freeagency

this list needs updated but it still has the FA lineman available....nothing looks real good though in therms of a LG

BeerBaron
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
well anyone who was still holding out hope for a DJ Hackett signing is out of luck. he just signed with the panthers today