PDA

View Full Version : Vilma to the Saints for Conditional pick

Newbs24
02-29-2008, 07:38 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7853690/Source:-Jets-ship-Vilma-to-Saints

Well that sucks.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-29-2008, 08:39 AM
So the draft pick isn't even for this year. I wonder how high it is if Vilma gets significant playing time and stays healthy.

wingboy2999
02-29-2008, 09:22 AM
What the hell?

BcLion
02-29-2008, 09:29 AM
I have heard its for a conditional 4th next year. This pisses me off more then anything the lions have failed to do in the past. We coulda got a MLB that is probowl worthy when healthy for very slight risk. Hell has Millen even drafted anyone in his entire career that panned out in the 4th to start let alone be a probowler?

Sick to death

Bclion

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-29-2008, 09:31 AM
I heard on Mike and Mike that is was rumored to be a conditioinal 4th round tht pick. If that is true, what the heck is Millen doing? You can't beat next years 4th?

Perfect move for the Saints. If Vilma is still hurt they don't have to give up as much.

wingboy2999
02-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Oh look... there it is... yeah, that is our hopes plummeting back to earth.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-29-2008, 09:45 AM
I still like Jerod Mayo in Round 2. Hope is not lost yet. Who knows what kind of contract Vilma will sign and for how long, and if he will be healthy. The value of the Vilma trade for the Saints will be determined how much Vilma can play next year. If Vilma can't go, the Saints dont' have to pay anything but they still lose by having an injured starting MLB.

I think Vilma would have been a great addition to us obviously but in the end Vilma might not be healthy enough to help us. Sure it is a low risk in terms of the pick we give up, but there is a risk in relying on Vilma to be healthy as a starter and a risk in losing out on potential by not taking a MLB in this years draft.

JPLUFF
02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm a fan of Mayo as well, but it'd be nice to see some effort with this sort of thing. How do you let him get away for a 4th in the 09 draft? Everyone knows what Vilma can do in a 4-3 when healthy, and you let him go to another team for a 4th rd. pick next year? That's just awful.

wingboy2999
02-29-2008, 10:12 AM
I think Vilma would have been a great addition to us obviously but in the end Vilma might not be healthy enough to help us. Sure it is a low risk in terms of the pick we give up, but there is a risk in relying on Vilma to be healthy as a starter and a risk in losing out on potential by not taking a MLB in this years draft.

Good point. But a lot of people are speaking of just waiting for a MLB in next years draft... if we need it. Oh well. Stupid Saints.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-29-2008, 10:19 AM
Well if we had Vilma we wouldn't be taking a MLB next year either if Vilma was healthy. But who knows how much we would have to pay Vilma. The 4th is only a rumor and that may be if the conditions aren't met. It may very well be a 2nd round pick if Vilma meets all his incentives and playing time. We'll found out pretty soon as more infor comes out on the deal.

detroit4life
02-29-2008, 10:56 AM
yeah but if Vilma plays so well its a second round pick then it would have been worth it. Millen messed this one up big time but i mean whats new. I just cant wait for the rogers for stroud swap so that i can just tune out the rest of our offseason knowing nothing good will come out of it

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah I agree. It would have been worth it for a 2nd in 09 if Vilma is healthy and returns to probowl form.

We'll just watch the situation from afar and see what Vilma does for the Saints. Could be a Drew Brees situation again. Brees was hurt and then goes to the Saints and plays great. But the Saints had to a good sum for Brees. This is a little risk situation. Damn Martz and his I can make any QB good. You made Kitna slight better but where are the Warner/Bulger TD numbers.

My man crush on Mayo will continue.

wingboy2999
02-29-2008, 12:05 PM
*sigh* We were hoping for him so much.

Xiomera
02-29-2008, 12:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3270701

Vilma was too good for us.

Millen, you suck!

Maybe Next Year Millen2
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Wow only a 4th/3rd rounder.

If we offered the same exact deals, odds are we will have a better pick than the Saints. What were you holding out for Millen. Unless Vilma told the Jets he preferred the Saints.

This move does suck, unless Vilma gets hurt. I hope Vilma the best and I hope he goes to the Pro-Bowl and I hope Millen gets Nancy Kerriganed(yes I used it as a verb) and has to have knee surgery.

wingboy2999
02-29-2008, 02:32 PM
He did visit us. So it's not like he hated us.

P-L
02-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Either Vilma is still not 100%, or Millen is getting more stupid as each day passes. How do you not beat a conditional 2009 4th Round pick? Hell, offer a 2008 5th Round pick and a 2009 conditional 4th Round pick. Or even just a 2008 4th Round pick probably could've gotten it done. He needs to look at his draft history and realize whoever he picks this year in Rounds 4 or 5 is just going to be out of the NFL in three years anyway.

Anyone really, really want us to go after Lance Briggs? I know it won't happen, but it's a thought. It is one of those moves that makes too much sense for Millen to make. We're probably going to get rid of the $16.5 million left in base salary on Shaun Rogers' contract. We can afford to break the bank to at least attempt to go after one of the premier LB's in the league.

wingboy2999
02-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Remember the Lions 2008 Motto.... "SIGN EM ALL!!!!" So yes, I'd love to go after Briggs.

Prowler
02-29-2008, 04:09 PM
conditional 4th is pretty weak to not have matched, considering if he blows his knee out and doesn't even play then the saints would probably lose next to nothing and if he does produce, then the saints still benefit because he'd have been worth it.

i'm on the 'how could we have not offered better' bandwagon

jbombul
02-29-2008, 04:14 PM
could briggs play strong side? i believe he played weak side in chicago which is what sims is. if he could play strong side or even middle i would love to have him he would be awesome in the honolulu

bearsfan_51
02-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Hah. Why would the Lions play Briggs at SAM? That makes no sense given the ease that the position can be filled.

Put Briggs at MIKE, move Paris Lennon to SAM. Problem solved. But like PL said, that makes too much sense.

P-L
02-29-2008, 04:26 PM
could briggs play strong side? i believe he played weak side in chicago which is what sims is. if he could play strong side or even middle i would love to have him he would be awesome in the honolulu
Briggs would play MLB. I think he'd fit real well there. After asking some Bears fans, *cough* toonster *cough*, they seem to agree with me.

Prowler
02-29-2008, 04:34 PM
not to be a buzzkill but briggs strikes me as the kind of guy who would probably rather die than play on the lions defense. i know he loves money, but 'at what cost?'

i think the d has to prove itself more before he would consider it, vilma probably would have joined us just because he had a lot to prove and people might have viewed him as damaged, but briggs is in his prime and has lost a superbowl and probably doesn't want to rebuild. not that i know him or how he thinks, but that's what my psychic feelings lead me to believe.

when we build it they will come

detroit4life
03-01-2008, 08:32 AM
not to be a buzzkill but briggs strikes me as the kind of guy who would probably rather die than play on the lions defense. i know he loves money, but 'at what cost?'

i think the d has to prove itself more before he would consider it, vilma probably would have joined us just because he had a lot to prove and people might have viewed him as damaged, but briggs is in his prime and has lost a superbowl and probably doesn't want to rebuild. not that i know him or how he thinks, but that's what my psychic feelings lead me to believe.

when we build it they will come

yeah we just take forever to build it

wingboy2999
03-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Do we REALLY think there is any chance of us signing him anyway?

asmitty45
03-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm pissed about this.

Would millen really not give up a 3rd to get Vilma? DEspitethe injury i wouldve given up a second for this guy. N.O. just made a great move