PDA

View Full Version : Trufant: Franchise, Long-Term, or Trade?

summond822
02-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Well, as you can probably tell from the title, what are we going to do with Trufant? He is one of my favorite players on the Seahawks and he is a local kid, but what are the chances that we resign him after this season?

Right now I am kind of hoping that another team comes in and signs him to a tender, because two first round picks is worth a heck of a lot more right now than spending almost $10 million on a player this next season.

Don't get me wrong, I love Trufant, I want him to finish his career in a Seahawks uniform, but we have got to do something. Either trade him or sign him to a long-term deal. We can't just let him walk for nothing.

Our options if we don't trade or sign him long-term would be to draft a ball-hawking DB who will be able to learn under Trufant this year and hopefully replace him next season. Unfortunately that could mean taking a CB with our first pick for the third straight year, especially if we want a guy who is going to have the blend of skills & speed to come in and start in his second year (much like DRC).

I may be completely alone on wishing that trufant would move on or sign long-term, but I just wish that something would get done on this instead of waiting for the end of the season and watching trufant walk for nothing, much like Asante Samuel did this season.

jballa838
02-29-2008, 08:20 PM
I hope we resign him, but I don't even know really. Trufant is too valuable to lose for nothing

summond822
03-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I hope we resign him, but I don't even know really. Trufant is too valuable to lose for nothing

That's exactly what I was thinking. Even if he does sign his tender, he is forcing the Hawks hand. I don't want what happened to the Patriots with Samuel to happen to the Hawks next year. If his primary concern is money, then we need to trade him or find a way to get a deal done. Maybe the patriots would be willing to trade their first rounder for him...

We're not really poised for a championship run this year, so if we can't sign him long-term we need to get something for him this year.