PDA

View Full Version : Does Rogers trade affect 15th overall?

ESimsfan87
03-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Just wondering if anyone on here thinks the Rogers for Bodden and a 3rd makes us go any differently in the first?

We have Bodden who is a really good number 2 and a second 3rd which means we can move up if need be.

Xiomera
03-01-2008, 09:54 AM
I think it increases the likelihood of a RB or OT being taken at 15.

But the trade really only shifted our need from starting CB to starting DT.

wingboy2999
03-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I agree with Xio. We still have to see if we get someone like The Burner. Hopefully we do.

TacticaLion
03-01-2008, 12:12 PM
I honestly think it increases our chances to go MLB in round 1. CB should be a round 2 pick now, and RB/OT could be addressed in FA (Turner or Moore/Shelton). The team wants an improvement at MLB, and they may have a player in mind.

asmitty45
03-01-2008, 12:38 PM
I would love to see us take mandenhall or stewart in the first and I think getting bodden helps that possibility, but I think what would cement us not going CB is signing a guy like Florence or making a move for Foxworth

TacticaLion
03-01-2008, 12:39 PM
If we sign a FA RB, I think we go MLB (or DE). If we don't, I think we go RB.

asmitty45
03-01-2008, 12:43 PM
I really dont want the burner if we go RB, i don't think he's an every down guy.

I'd so much rather have a guy that has carried the load like Jonathon Stewart. Just me though.

Who would we go if we do go MLB in the first? Neither Mayo nor Lofton have first round grades

wingboy2999
03-01-2008, 12:43 PM
If we get Turner, I think we go OT or maybe DL if one falls.

wingboy2999
03-01-2008, 12:44 PM
I really dont want the burner if we go RB, i don't think he's an every down guy.

I'd so much rather have a guy that has carried the load like Jonathon Stewart. Just me though.

Who would we go if we do go MLB in the first? Neither Mayo nor Lofton have first round grades

NOT CONNOR!!!!

Newbs24
03-01-2008, 12:46 PM
I honestly think it increases our chances to go MLB in round 1. CB should be a round 2 pick now, and RB/OT could be addressed in FA (Turner or Moore/Shelton). The team wants an improvement at MLB, and they may have a player in mind.
I know we reached a little with Sims at #9 a few years ago but I do not see one MLB that is worth a mid first round pick this year.Maybe if Rey was in this class but he is not. I think a lot will depend on M Turner and if they go after him, then I could see an OT going at #15 to us.

BcLion
03-01-2008, 12:50 PM
I hope we dont go RB in the first. this years draft is deep with RB's and we don't have the Oline for a premier RB yet. I also am completely against grabbing Turner this year. Nothing against him and think hes a decent back its just we don't need to overspend on a FA on any position.

I say take a conservative approach to FA and Draft MLB/OT in first and second and CB third unless a great one falls in the 2nd. We can grab a nice RB in the 3rd we got from cleveland.

WE need to keep the cap down this year as its a make or break for the current front office and coaching staff. I truely believe if we dont make playoffs this year M&M era is fianlly over.I don't want to hand the new staff a messed up cap.Also if they do produce this year and make playoffs next year you break the bank for the top players to make a run at a superbowl.

Bclion

asmitty45
03-01-2008, 12:50 PM
NOT CONNOR!!!!

I really dont want him either.

There's no First round MLB's available that are worth taking at 15.

And as far as reaching at 15. We only reached about 5-6 spots to grab Sims, If we reach for Wheeler we could be reaching an entire round. Mayo might sneak into the first, but lofton wont either.

BcLion
03-01-2008, 12:52 PM
I know we reached a little with Sims at #9 a few years ago but I do not see one MLB that is worth a mid first round pick this year.Maybe if Rey was in this class but he is not. I think a lot will depend on M Turner and if they go after him, then I could see an OT going at #15 to us.

I wouldnt mind trading down a couple spots to get value at MLB this year and then trading back into second for better set of CB's or CB/OT.

Bclion

Prowler
03-01-2008, 12:58 PM
because i still love his bald head i wouldn't be upset if we picked talib now but it's definately not as pressing of a need, especially at round one when we desperately need a pass rush and with the $40million+ contracts that ends are getting in FAs. i'd say let's just turn into the colts now and go with harvey and not be able to stop the run while picking up a joseph addaish player in the 2nd round and adding cb and oline depth later.

detknowitall
03-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I really dont want him either.

There's no First round MLB's available that are worth taking at 15.

And as far as reaching at 15. We only reached about 5-6 spots to grab Sims, If we reach for Wheeler we could be reaching an entire round. Mayo might sneak into the first, but lofton wont either.

I'm hip. Marinelli wont want a rookie running the defense at MLB. I think it solidifes that we are taking an OL in the first. Both OL and DB are pretty deep in this draft. MLB is out of the question at 15. Besides once you get past that top tier of OL the dropoff in talent is pretty steep. While CB I think you can still pick up ggod corners into the 2nd and 3rd round. MLB will most likely be filled through FA or we'll see the return of Paris Lennon/Teddy Lehman combo.

The bigger question I think is how are we filling the hole at DT now. The prospect of Shaun Cody, and Corey Redding isnt that attractive. And please nobody say the solution is Langston Moore.

wingboy2999
03-01-2008, 01:07 PM
People say IAK can play inside. Or we can look at Trevor Laws.

TacticaLion
03-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Fellas:

I know you don't want Connor. Most of you don't think he's worth a mid-1st round pick. He isn't flashy and didn't workout at the Combine, and you'll rarely hear his name said around the Lions' forum.

The truth: the Lions want an upgrade at the position. Other potential draft positions (RB/OT) have adequate Free Agents and the Lions have either visited with one (Shelton) or are rumored to want to (Turner).

There are hardly any MLBers available in Free Agency. Vilma is a Saint, Wilson doesn't seem to want to come back and Mitchell signed with the Bills. That leaves Briggs, who the Lions haven't shown interest in thus far. (Update: Briggs re-signed with Chicago... no more Briggs.)

That leaves us with the draft. Scott Wright has Connor rated as his 18th overall prospect (Talib is 27th... who many think isn't a reach at 15). If we address RB and OT in FA, Connor could be the pick at 15.

Strengths:
Above average athleticism...Reliable tackler...Will deliver the big hit...Physical and aggressive...Adequate timed speed...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Does a solid job in coverage...Smart with excellent awareness and instincts...Versatile...A hard worker and leader...Intense and competitive with a non-stop motor...Tough...Has a lot of experience against top competition...Productive...Great program pedigree.
Sounds like a Marinelli-guy to me.

asmitty45
03-01-2008, 01:12 PM

He does, I agree.

But I'd rather have Mayo in the second if we are going MLB in the early part of this draft.

Prowler
03-01-2008, 01:22 PM
i'm part of the minority, i'm cool with conner even though i hate penn state's logic-oriented fans who always seem to have to bring a couple thousand people to every game at mich.

jason96r
03-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I really like Curtis Lofton and think it would be great if we could get him in the 2nd. I also really like Trevor Laws and Flowers. If we can find a way to get those 3 I'd be very happy.

detknowitall
03-01-2008, 02:51 PM
I really like Curtis Lofton and think it would be great if we could get him in the 2nd. I also really like Trevor Laws and Flowers. If we can find a way to get those 3 I'd be very happy.

I'd take lofton or Mayo in the second. There isnt a single LB that I'd pu tat MLB for the 1st round. At this point in the Draft I'll take Otah in the 1st Mayo in the second and Terrell Thomas, Chevis Jackson, or Tyvon Branch. in the 3rd. You take Chevis if you want the hitter, Branch if you want the speed guy, or Thomas if you want a nice blended guy with experience and turnove capabilities.

If you do that then you have 3 guys that could start for you this year all in need positions

Not to mention I think we can still pick 1 more guy up for the secondary in FA there are still decent guys out there. And Shelton doesnt impress me that much. I'd rather bring Woody back at RG or RT.

Scotty D
03-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Does Balmer fit?

wingboy2999
03-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Maybe Balmer drops to where we can trade up for him in the 2nd....?

wingboy2999
03-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Weaknesses:
Inconsistent and has a questionable motor...Does not have great bulk...Has some trouble shedding blocks...He is slow to read and react....Plays with poor leverage at times...Considered to be an underachiever prior to 2007...Could be a 'tweener.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I might rather have a guy like Laws honestly.

TacticaLion
03-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I might rather have a guy like Laws honestly.

Yep. I keep looking at other DT prospects, but none of them seem to fit. Most lack a motor or a strong work ethic.

Then, there's Laws. I think Marinelli would love to have him... the "Energizer Bunny", as they called him at the combine.

WMD
03-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Apparently the Jets have a real hard on for Damien Woody. If he goes, I think OT will be the pick at #15..

I figured we would make Re-Signing TJ Duckett and Damien Woody two of our highest priorities.. Hopefully we can get them wrapped up

TacticaLion
03-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Note: Dan Connor is now ranked 18th overall on Scott Wright's Top 100.

Is taking him at 15 really that much of a reach? I don't think it is.

scottyboy
03-01-2008, 09:26 PM
i think you guys should address defense somewhere round 1. From reading around, RB is a need for you guys, but with this class ridiculously deep, you could pick up an excellent talent in round 3, that wouldn't be much less talented than guys picked rounds 1 and 2

TacticaLion
03-01-2008, 09:29 PM
i think you guys should address defense somewhere round 1. From reading around, RB is a need for you guys, but with this class ridiculously deep, you could pick up an excellent talent in round 3, that wouldn't be much less talented than guys picked rounds 1 and 2

Yeah... exactly. The ONLY way I feel differently is if we lose Woody and don't sign Shelton. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind an OT.

BamaFalcon59
03-01-2008, 09:31 PM

That makes no sense. Michael Turner shouldered the load in college, just like Jonathan Stewart. Except Turner was more productive. I do not get this comment, because both have carried the load in college but not in the NFL.

detknowitall
03-02-2008, 08:59 AM

I think its a reach only because of 2 factors. 1 without Shaun Rogers up there to eat up blockers Dan Connor doesnt have the size to take on guys and shed blocks. So I really don't see him helping out as much as an OL would. Which brings me to #2 I think there are players just as good that we could get in round 2 and still be able to take a top OL or CB in the draft. At both OT and CB there is a significant drop off in talent after the top tier guys go.

Bootland27
03-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Right now I'd say our most pressing needs are MLB, DT, OT, RB and CB

I expect the lions to sign a RB in FA. If we were to get another player from one of the remaining positions, it gives us a clearer picture of what to do in the draft.

TacticaLion
03-02-2008, 10:13 AM
I think its a reach only because of 2 factors. 1 without Shaun Rogers up there to eat up blockers Dan Connor doesnt have the size to take on guys and shed blocks. So I really don't see him helping out as much as an OL would. Which brings me to #2 I think there are players just as good that we could get in round 2 and still be able to take a top OL or CB in the draft. At both OT and CB there is a significant drop off in talent after the top tier guys go.

I agree with the OT drop off in talent, but not the CB. There are a ton of solid CB prospects this year... and many can be had in rounds 2-3.

I was talking about taking Connor if we sign Shelton (or another OT). If we sign someone, I don't think the coaches will draft the position.

There are DT prospects available in rounds 2-3 that could eat up blockers. Connor is the best MLB in the draft... he has everything Marinelli looks for and will be a stud.

Prowler
03-02-2008, 01:42 PM
DTs seem to always fall in drafts too. quinn pitcock looked like a 1st rounder on most boards last year, plus alan branch last year and i remember a couple years back a truckload of dts fell to the 2nd day, i think the orion harris class(he's the only name i can vaguely remember but there were like 5 1-2nd projected who fell to 2nd day)
oh yeah and gabe watson was one of the others who fell. i remember scott and everybody kept mentioning the 'earth theory' that year or something about how there were only so many 6'4" 300+ people that fast on earth.

Brothgar
03-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Fellas:

I know you don't want Connor. Most of you don't think he's worth a mid-1st round pick. He isn't flashy and didn't workout at the Combine, and you'll rarely hear his name said around the Lions' forum.

The truth: the Lions want an upgrade at the position. Other potential draft positions (RB/OT) have adequate Free Agents and the Lions have either visited with one (Shelton) or are rumored to want to (Turner).

There are hardly any MLBers available in Free Agency. Vilma is a Saint, Wilson doesn't seem to want to come back and Mitchell signed with the Bills. That leaves Briggs, who the Lions haven't shown interest in thus far. (Update: Briggs re-signed with Chicago... no more Briggs.)

That leaves us with the draft. Scott Wright has Connor rated as his 18th overall prospect (Talib is 27th... who many think isn't a reach at 15). If we address RB and OT in FA, Connor could be the pick at 15.

The truth: Say we wait one season. Next season there are 2 MLBs who would go before the 1st MLB taken this year. Where as there are likely 1 or 2 RBs that would go 1st round in this years draft and none of them go before any of the top 3. Watching Connor at the Combine but his pass coverage was less than spectacular.

My opinion: I say we take advantage of the OL/RB depth in the first two rounds of this draft. Scott D's trade with Seattle is getting sexier and sexier the more I think of it. Trading that 15th for Seattle's 1 and 2 may even squeeze more out of them if only Stewart or Mendenhall are left. Grab Godser, Johnson, Laws, Goff, and Jackson in the old day 1, 5th round Owen Schmitt (if he sitll there) and that is one very sexy draft.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-03-2008, 08:41 AM
I like the idea of trading back into the early 20s to pick up another pick.

Interesting read on how the Rogers deal worked.
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/03/shaun_rogers_gives_lions_assis.html

Addict
03-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I think the best way to go is to push and pray to resign woody, get mendenhall in the first and then hopefully flowers in the second (or a trade, god willing)

Good to see my family visit has led me to some positive news.

TacticaLion
03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I think the best way to go is to push and pray to resign woody, get mendenhall in the first and then hopefully flowers in the second (or a trade, god willing)

Good to see my family visit has led me to some positive news.
Unless we trade for a starting MLB, sign a FA CB and OT and miss out on JJones and Dunn, I don't want Mendenhall. We've got too many needs to spend a 1st round pick on a position that we can address in FA (and that sees way too many injuries). And, I think the Lions' agree.

They're bringing in JJones and are interested in Dunn... and it makes sense. Sign one of them and draft a rookie RB in rounds 3-4. Use the 1st round pick on a MLB or OT.

Addict
03-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Unless we trade for a starting MLB, sign a FA CB and OT and miss out on JJones and Dunn, I don't want Mendenhall. We've got too many needs to spend a 1st round pick on a position that we can address in FA (and that sees way too many injuries). And, I think the Lions' agree.

They're bringing in JJones and are interested in Dunn... and it makes sense. Sign one of them and draft a rookie RB in rounds 3-4. Use the 1st round pick on a MLB or OT.

I disagree, as I want Mendenhall.

Iamcanadian
03-04-2008, 04:53 AM

Not a reach at all. Unfortunately, according to Pat Kirwin from NFL.com, he will be gone before Detroit's #15th pick.

Iamcanadian
03-04-2008, 05:04 AM
I disagree, as I want Mendenhall.

Man, what a GM! We've gone from rebuilding a rotten defense to having to rebuild the offense with little help coming from FA.
We can sign Jones(who could never grab hold of the #1 RB spot for Dallas even though he was given numerous chances) or sign Dunn( a small RB who is obviously over the hill) but will still need a RT or we can draft Mendenhall who I like a lot and have basically the same defense as last year minus a starter or 2. Well, I have to say that after 7 seasons Millen has to start the rebuild all over again with so many holes that the dike is crumbling around him. Nothing ever changes with the Lions.