PDA

View Full Version : 3/2 mock check it outtttttt

TheChosenOne
03-02-2008, 07:24 PM
please provide feedback, i like knowing what you think, but keep it constructive and positive. You will probably not see a mock that looks too much like this because of the way i did the top of the draft but i like it so let me know what you think

enjoy

#1 Dolphins-DE Chris Long, Virginia
Itís getting annoying explaining this pick again and again and again. Bill Parcells is a defensive guy, Long fits their scheme, he has a great motor and work ethic, they Dolphins will try to trade this pick but wonít find a suitor so they will select Long. YeaÖgot it.

#2 Rams-OT Jake Long, Michigan
I think this is one of the more intriguing picks in the draft, as I think people will have a lot of different opinions as to what the Rams do here. Long, Dorsey, Ellis, and Gholston are all options. In the wake of a great combine people might go with Gholston here but I donít think he is a better prospect than Long or Dorsey, and with Dorseyís injury now a hot topic I think he is out too. When Orlando Pace goes down with an injury it kills the rams season, and I do not think they can go into another year unprepared for facing the obstacle once again, making Jake Long the selection here.

#3 Falcons-QB Matt Ryan, BC
You can argue for Dorsey, Ellis, and McFadden but my feeling is this. It seems as if the Falcons will end up signing Michael Turner, taking them out of the running for McFadden. Also, time and time again we see teams bring in a new head coach followed by their hand picked quarterback. Ryan might not be worth the 3rd pick, and most Falcon fans donít want this to happen, but to completely move away from Vick the best thing to do is get a new face of the franchise at the quarterback position.

#4 Raiders-DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
Another team that can go Dorsey, Ellis, or McFadden and I have them go with Ellis. I think McFadden is out of the picture with all the money they threw at Fargas, plus they do have Michael Bush who used to be a first round prospect before his injury. Dorsey I think will slip because of his leg scare, and Al Davis is known to love USC alumni plus Ellis hits a huge need.

#5 Chiefs-OT Ryan Clady, Boise St
If Jake Long is off the board I think Clady will be the Chiefs pick at five. The only other thing I can see happening is the Chiefs trying to trade down to get Clady later but I do not want to attempt to project trades in my mock so I will go with this selection for the time being.

#6 Jets-DT/DE Glenn Dorsey, LSU
Jet fans are going to hate me and I know this can easily be McFadden but I do not think the Jets will draft him. I think come draft day the Jets will have the chance to drafted either Dorsey or Gholston over McFadden and will do so. The Jets just got Thomas Jones, and I attribute his down season more to bad oline play and the lack of a passing game threat than his skills, and have Washington as a change of pace back. The Jets defense was horrendous and Mangini is a defensive guy, who I think will look at Dorsey as someone who can be his very own Richard Seymour. People say Dorsey cannot fit a 3-4 scheme but I really see no reason why he cannot be a disruptive force at end in a 3-4 scheme.

#7 Patriots (F/SF)-RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas
The Patriots donít need this and could use Gholston more, but I think Belichick will draft McFadden simply to give the rest of the league the finger.

#8 Ravens-CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy
McAllister and Rolle are on the wrong side of 30, and there is no depth to speak of.

#9 Bengals-DE Vernon Gholston, OSU
The Bengals will simply take the best defensive player on the board with this pick. In this case they luck out and get a guy who can easily go much higher than the 9th pick. Gholston will give them a pass rushing threat, which is the best way to fix a defense.

#10 Saints-CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tenn St.
Some people will think this is a reach but I think it is a real possibility. Rodgers-Cromartie is lighting it up every chance he gets to impress scouts and the Saints corners flat out suck. A ballhawk with pick six abilities is something I do not see them passing up come draft day.

#11 Bills-WR Limas Sweed, Texas
The Bills need a big receiver to compliment Lee Evans, plus it would help Edwards. Limas Sweed did not blaze a 40-yard dash but his time at the combine is good enough for his size, making him worth this selection.

#12 Broncos-OLB Keith Rivers, USC
This pick is always hard for me because the Broncos have a lot of needs that donít meet the value of the board. I think their biggest priority should be adding an offensive tackle so Jay Cutler doesnít have his career ended by injury. However, with Clady off the board and the depth at offensive tackle in this draft class they could hold off for the time being. Rivers does fill a need, although not the biggest, as they can either play him outside to replace Ian Gold, or play him in the middle so D.J. Williams can move back outside.

#13 Panthers-DE Phillip Merling, Clemson
With Phillipís draft stock in a bit of a decline the Panthers look to another position to address. If Rucker is brought back he still is not very good anymore and the Panthers can definitely use his heir apparent.

#14 Bears-RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
The Bears have a lot of problems and most people think this is going to be an offensive tackle, and it could be, but I think they opt for Mendenhall. Benson is a disappointment and their overall running game is simply not good. Mendenhall is a local kid who can immediately give their offense a shot in the arm.

#15 Lions-CB Aqib Talib, Kansas
Lions need defensive playmakers, and I wouldnít be surprised if this pick was used on a pass rusher. They need an offensive tackle but they can get a good one in the next round, but Talib, a ballhawk, might be too tempting to pass up right now.

#16 Cardinals-DE/OLB Quentin Groves, Auburn
This pick will take a lot of people by surprise but I have done it before and still like it. Groves showed that he is an athletic freak and is a natural pass rusher, which will always be valued in the NFL. He is perfect for the switch from the 4-3 to the 3-4 that Wisenhunt is going to make, and will help the Cardinals defense immediately.

#17 Vikings-DE Derrick Harvey, Florida
Udeze will not be playing in 2008 and defensive end was already an issue. The Vikings had the worse pass defense in the league in 2007 but a pass rush will help that out and Harvey can make an immediate impact on the Vikings defensive line.

#18 Texans-OT Chris Williams
The Texans have needed a franchise left tackle forever now and finally they get one. Chris Williams has solidified himself as a top 20 pick through workouts and the Senior Bowl and is a good pick here for the Texans.

#19 Eagles-WR Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma
McNabb wants playmakers, and the Eagles will get one, except it will probably be for Kolb. Kelly is a good compliment to the Eagles smaller receivers and allows Curtis to play out of the slot.

#20 Buccaneers-WR DeSean Jackson, California
The Buccaneers need a deep threat burner at receiver and Jackson is their man. He blazed a 4.35 at the combine and can contribute immediately in the return game.

#21 Redskins-S Kenny Phillips, Miami
The Redskins need a receiver and a defensive end, and thatís what most people talk about, but they forget that they need a free safety. Phillips is the next in a long line of great hurricane safeties and can come in and start next to LaRon Landry from day one.

#22 Cowboys-CB Mike Jenkins, USF
This is somewhat of a steal as Jenkins can easily go much higher. The Cowboys have a definite need at corner back and to get Jenkins here is also great value.

#23 Steelers-OT Jeff Otah, Pitt
Jeff Otah is another player that can easily go much higher, specifically to the Bears, Lions, or Texans. Getting him here is good value and can be a mauler right tackle for the ground game that the Steelers would love.

#24 Titans-WR Devin Thomas, Michigan St.
The Titans need to give Vince Young some weapons and Devin Thomas might not be projected here anywhere else but why not? He has good size and really surprised with his 40 at the combine, so I donít understand why people are not talking about his draft stock rising. I think he can definitely go in the top 25, especially if when the Titans are on the clock Sweed, Jackson, and Kelly are off the board.

#25 Seahawks-RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon
Simply put, Alexanderís career is over. Maybe not over, he can play a role for Seattle until he retires or is released, but he will never be what he once was. Enter Stewart, a local kid who has great a great size, speed, and strength combination.

#26 Jaguars-DE Calais Campbell, Miami
This could be Balmer in the wake of trading Stroud, but the Jaguars could look at Campbell as someone like Mario Williams because of his size can move inside to tackle on third downs and rush the passer from there. Defensive end has been a need for a while for the Jaguars and at this point in round one the local kid Campbell is worth the risk given his potential upside.

#27 Chargers-OG Brandon Albert, Virginia
The Chargers had problems along the right side of their offensive line in 2007 and Albert is the best lineman still on the board. In addition to that, he can play both guard and tackle giving the Chargers versatility and the ability to get creative with the five guys they put on the field.

#28 Cowboys-RB Felix Jones, Arkansas
Marion Barber needs a back up and a compliment to his running style, and although Jones ran a bad 40 at the combine, Iím sure he will do better at his pro day. Jones is the perfect compliment to Barber, as he runs outside the tackles and is a home run hitter. He can also contribute in the return game.

#29 49ers (F/IND)-OT Gosder Cherilus, BC
The 49ers gave up 55 sacks last season. I think Alex Smith sucks but Tom Brady wouldnít do anything either behind a line like that. Cherilus is the prototype right tackle that Gore can run behind and allows Staley to move to his natural position on the left side, if he can beat out Jennings for the starting spot, but Iím sure Jennings will just get injured in game 3 anyway.

#30 Packers-DT Kentwan Balmer, UNC
The Packers traded away Corey Williams and if there is not a good value here at cornerback then this pick could be used to replace him. In addition to that Balmer is very good value here and someone they can rotate in since they do have depth along the defensive line.

#31 Giants-OLB Dan Connor, Penn St.
The Giants lost two starting linebackers in free agency and for all intensive purposes Kiwanuka should go back to defensive end. Dan Connor can start from day one and can play whichever side they need to him making him even more valuable.

Dr. Gonzo
03-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Very nice Vikings pic. +rep

Thunder&Lightning
03-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Not a very good chargers pick. With Reggie Smith and Cherilus still available they would be the better option.

Jay
03-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I would hate to have to choose between Gholston and McFadden. I can't imagine the Pats passing on Gholston if he is there, though...

Seasonticketholder
03-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Why would the Raiders take a DT when they have just given Tommy Kelly a huge deal? They already have Terdell Sands. I think they will either go for McFadden, Chris Long, or Vernon Gholston based on who is available.

Why would the Jets take Dorsey, who does not fit their 3-4 scheme? Keep in mind that they just traded for Kris Jenkins and gave him a big deal. Those are picks I do not see happening. More than likely, Dorsey and Ellis both will go somewhere between #7 and #12.

BaLLiN
03-02-2008, 08:23 PM
The Giants lost two starting linebackers in free agency and for all intensive purposes Kiwanuka should go back to defensive end. Dan Connor can start from day one and can play whichever side they need to him making him even more valuable.

Your explaination is horrible, we dont need Kiwanuka to go back at DE at all. Osi and Tuck are a great duo and Strahan won't retire this year. Connor can't play weakside because his coverage skills suck and he's not athletic and not a good blitzer, therefore he does not fit our scheme.

GB12
03-02-2008, 08:47 PM
You have to be ******* kidding me.

DiG
03-02-2008, 10:16 PM
ummm actually laron is the starting FS and hes not going back to SS. hes shown that he is much more dominant at FS where he has the oppurtunity to use his range and be a playmaker. the way reed played to finish the year i doubt we take a safety rd 1. we may take one later for depth but rd 1 seems very unlikely.

Finsfan79
03-02-2008, 10:24 PM
wrong long for miami please

Crickett
03-02-2008, 10:32 PM
#2 Rams-OT Jake Long, Michigan
I think this is one of the more intriguing picks in the draft, as I think people will have a lot of different opinions as to what the Rams do here. Long, Dorsey, Ellis, and Gholston are all options. In the wake of a great combine people might go with Gholston here but I donít think he is a better prospect than Long or Dorsey, and with Dorseyís injury now a hot topic I think he is out too. When Orlando Pace goes down with an injury it kills the rams season, and I do not think they can go into another year unprepared for facing the obstacle once again, making Jake Long the selection here.

Here's the thing though. What happens if Orlando Pace doesn't go down with an injury? If so, Jake Long is stuck at guard or on the bench. Not a good way to spend the second overall pick.

#4 Raiders-DT Sedrick Ellis, USC
Another team that can go Dorsey, Ellis, or McFadden and I have them go with Ellis. I think McFadden is out of the picture with all the money they threw at Fargas, plus they do have Michael Bush who used to be a first round prospect before his injury. Dorsey I think will slip because of his leg scare, and Al Davis is known to love USC alumni plus Ellis hits a huge need.

After the money they shelled out for Tommy Kelly?

#6 Jets-DT/DE Glenn Dorsey, LSU
Jet fans are going to hate me and I know this can easily be McFadden but I do not think the Jets will draft him. I think come draft day the Jets will have the chance to drafted either Dorsey or Gholston over McFadden and will do so. The Jets just got Thomas Jones, and I attribute his down season more to bad oline play and the lack of a passing game threat than his skills, and have Washington as a change of pace back. The Jets defense was horrendous and Mangini is a defensive guy, who I think will look at Dorsey as someone who can be his very own Richard Seymour. People say Dorsey cannot fit a 3-4 scheme but I really see no reason why he cannot be a disruptive force at end in a 3-4 scheme.

Here is the thing. People argue that Dorsey is too short to play 3-4 DE. If you don't agree, then why would they need to draft him anyway when they can simply move Robertson to end?

#11 Bills-WR Limas Sweed, Texas
The Bills need a big receiver to compliment Lee Evans, plus it would help Edwards. Limas Sweed did not blaze a 40-yard dash but his time at the combine is good enough for his size, making him worth this selection.

The Bills just signed Bryant Johnson, which arguably makes WR a complete non-need for the Bills.

#14 Bears-RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
The Bears have a lot of problems and most people think this is going to be an offensive tackle, and it could be, but I think they opt for Mendenhall. Benson is a disappointment and their overall running game is simply not good. Mendenhall is a local kid who can immediately give their offense a shot in the arm.

Benson has been a disappointment. But are the Bears really going to give up on him so quickly?

##18 Texans-OT Chris Williams
The Texans have needed a franchise left tackle forever now and finally they get one. Chris Williams has solidified himself as a top 20 pick through workouts and the Senior Bowl and is a good pick here for the Texans.

Think about how many mock draft have had "The Texans have needed a franchise left tackle and finally they get one". Think about how many over the past 5 years have had that written somewhere.

#30 Packers-DT Kentwan Balmer, UNC
The Packers traded away Corey Williams and if there is not a good value here at cornerback then this pick could be used to replace him. In addition to that Balmer is very good value here and someone they can rotate in since they do have depth along the defensive line.

The Packers drafted a defensive tackle last year. Thats what allowed them to trade away Corey Williams.

Based on what?

ChosenOne
03-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Ok Steelers pick.

defensiveback23
03-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Not a very good chargers pick. With Reggie Smith and Cherilus still available they would be the better option.

Completely agree. Reggie Smith is pretty much the best fit in the draft for us.

Yung Flippa
03-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Baltimore easily takes Vernon Ghloston. Okay Houston pick.

nobodyinparticular
03-03-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure about Long to the Dolphins anymore. The Dolphins have Joey Porter, Jason Taylor and now Calvin Pace all under contract. They also made moves for a few Dlinemen. Long doesn't seem to fit anymore. What they need is a QB. Heck, they could even go RB with Ronnie Brown's injury. I honestly don't see Chris Long to Miami though.

thebow305
03-03-2008, 01:25 AM
great phins pick!

roidrunner
03-03-2008, 01:47 AM
you get a mulligan on the packers pick. try again please

ancoin
03-03-2008, 03:39 AM
It is a good vikings pick! You are right we need pass rush bad! Harvey i hope will pick up +10 sacks if we get him. Also with The Williams take the attention.

If I should have made another pick for the vikings there I would have taken Chris Williams and tried to trade McKinnie while he is worth something. He is the last "loveboater" and with the assault earlier this year I think he might be on the way out of Minnesota.

Jakey
03-03-2008, 06:13 AM
Good Steelers pick...but your explination has got me questioning it actually. The main problem is that we are pretty set at RT with Max Starks and Willie Colon both viable starters. So the main question would be, will Otah be able to play LT next year after Marvel Smith is shown the door???

Yatta!
03-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Sorry but there's no way the Packers draft another DT, we have enough depth even with Williams gone.

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Nice change of pace at the top of the draft, and a good mock overall. I Really like the Eagle pick in this situation, either him or Kenny Phillips, as WR and Safety are the biggest needs.

fenikz
03-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Good Cardinals pick, always liked the guy but because of how he played this season I couldn't put him high enough fort eh Cardinals pick, hopefully the Cards have him in for a workout

hugegmenfan
03-03-2008, 10:06 AM
bad giants pick

gsorace
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
The Jets don't pass on Gholston for anybody, and Dorsey couldn't be a worse fit for their defense.

Awful Jets pick.

T-RICH49
03-03-2008, 10:45 AM
KC won't pass on Dorsey to reach for Clady

the decider13
03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
eh I like rivers somewhat for the Broncos. Would solidify the LB core. Doesnt seem like a fit though. idk

The Legend
03-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Glenn Dorsey - Vernon Gholston

cant see Dorsey going to the Jets where he doesnt fit at all
and if Gholston is still on the board they will jump on him

21ST
03-03-2008, 12:39 PM
If this horrible situation happened i would be pissed cause that might actually be the best pick for us....ew

The Legend
03-03-2008, 01:07 PM
You have to be ******* kidding me.

hahahah that what i thought, i mean we traded him because we have depth

stl9erfan
03-03-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm a fan of the Gosder pick. it may not be our biggest need, but i think he's the best value available. nicely done.

jackalope
03-03-2008, 04:43 PM
As others have said, terrible Packer's pick. The reason we traded away Correy Williams was because we have great depth there and didn't need him.

SDSupaChargers
03-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Personally I really like the Chargers pick. Albert is a mauler and is just what we need on the right side of our line. The other guys are big on getting a S/CB ala Reggie Smith or even better Kenny Phillips if he drops. If Phillips does drop, then I believe that should be the pick, but I don't see safety as that big of a need. We have both our starters for next year in Weddle and Hart and both have proven themselves to be solid. I'm not sold with Clary, our RT, though, and Goff is getting old. So for that reason I think that RT/RG is a bigger need and I think that Cherilus and most definitely Albert have more value at 27 than Reggie Smith. I think you got it right, good pick.

SDSupaChargers
03-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Edit: sorry, double post.

proshoota25
03-05-2008, 04:59 PM
love the patriots pick..... bill would do that to the rest of the league too

TheChosenOne
03-06-2008, 10:45 AM
The Jets don't pass on Gholston for anybody, and Dorsey couldn't be a worse fit for their defense.

Awful Jets pick.

Please explain to me why Dorsey couldn't be a worse fit for their defense... I would love to know how you know because let's be honest, exactly how much film have you seen of Dorsey, none? or just the glimpses you caught when LSU was on TV. All you're basing that on is that a bunch of scouts led by fraud Todd McShay said the Dolphins won't draft Dorsey #1 because at NT he wouldn't fit the 3-4. Ok well I specifically said that I see no reason why he can't be a good 3-4 end with his size, 300 pounds the prototype size for a 34 end (see Richard Seymour), he can rush the passer and is a force against the run. Dorsey is overall simply a beast and I would love to know what you are basing it on that he can't play a 3-4 end, and if you are right when you tell me then I will eat the egg you will have thrown on my face....... and to be fair I can see your point that the Jets will not pass on Gholston for anyone.

Bills2083
03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Good pick for the Bills

Crickett
03-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Please explain to me why Dorsey couldn't be a worse fit for their defense... I would love to know how you know because let's be honest, exactly how much film have you seen of Dorsey, none? or just the glimpses you caught when LSU was on TV. All you're basing that on is that a bunch of scouts led by fraud Todd McShay said the Dolphins won't draft Dorsey #1 because at NT he wouldn't fit the 3-4. Ok well I specifically said that I see no reason why he can't be a good 3-4 end with his size, 300 pounds the prototype size for a 34 end (see Richard Seymour), he can rush the passer and is a force against the run. Dorsey is overall simply a beast and I would love to know what you are basing it on that he can't play a 3-4 end, and if you are right when you tell me then I will eat the egg you will have thrown on my face....... and to be fair I can see your point that the Jets will not pass on Gholston for anyone.

Just in case you missed it the first time.

Here is the thing. People argue that Dorsey is too short to play 3-4 DE. If you don't agree, then why would they need to draft him anyway when they can simply move Robertson to end?

And Richard Seymour is listed at 6'6 310.

JagHombre22
03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
I'll live with the Campbell pick...

TheChosenOne
03-07-2008, 12:55 AM
I know how big Seymour is, that was my point, you want you defensive end in a 3-4 to be at least 300 ideally, and Dorsey is 6'2"... oh no... he is a football player and a really good one at that, if you think he is too short it is one of those picky things that get over hyped like not repping the bar enough. Dorsey can play football and is a force, Dwight Freeney was supposed to be too small to play football, how did that turn out? There are examples like this all the time where people nit pick and say this guy can't do a certain thing because he doesn't have a ridiculous measurable, and at this point I hope Dorsey ends up as a Jet and plays defensive end for them so we can get an actual answer.

03-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Better options for the Raiders pick are 1) Gholston and 2) McFadden. DT is pretty much out of the question in the first for us right now.

nobodyinparticular
03-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Better options for the Raiders pick are 1) Gholston and 2) McFadden. DT is pretty much out of the question in the first for us right now.

Listen to this guy.

But don't forget Ryan Clady either.

yodabear
03-07-2008, 02:05 AM
Unless the Dolphins stupidly don't take Chris Long, whoever the Rams take will suck badly in the pros.

03-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Listen to this guy.

But don't forget Ryan Clady either.

Clady's too much of a reach for me to stomach unless we trade down of course. If Jake Long was still there at our pick I would have no problem taking an OT in the first. It's one of our biggest needs which must be addressed in the first two rounds.