PDA

View Full Version : McFadden?

MyLostintention
03-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Scott has put Mcfadden as a Jets and so has McShay of ESPN. Also a lot of people in this forum have placed him with the jets too, even though we all know everyone in here bases their picks off of other peoples picks. Now as a jets fan i would love to have a weapon like McFadden on offense even though RB is far down on the list of needs. The question is, do you really think the jets would make this pick, jets never take the big name and always play it safe. If McFadden is available for the jets would the jets just trade the pick for more picks?

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-03-2008, 10:50 AM
if Ghoulston and and Chris Long are gone, then they take McFadden no questions asked. It really depends on what the other teams infront of us do, and that is what the mocks take into account. But it wouldn't suprise me if we end up taking the value pick with him at #6, but obviously an rush OLB is higher on the needs board.

Crickett
03-03-2008, 10:58 AM
If Ghoston and McFadden are both on the board, I say go with Gholston. He actually fills a need after all.
If McFadden is on the board and a trade can be had, get Dallas' two first round picks.
If McFadden is on the board and a trade can't be had, draft him knowing you just signed a top five LG. I don't want the Jets to draft him, but if they did, knowing the Jets just patched up one of the two big holes on the OL makes it a bit more bearable.

Young Nasty Man
03-03-2008, 10:59 AM
This may make me sound liek a pesismist but we are kinda screwed if Gholston and McFadden are on the board. Yea, we may get the guy we want but the other one goes to New England. What we honestly want right now, is have on of those three guys left at #6 and none after. I want New England forced to take a CB because they are solid CB but none are premier corners. Any of those three guys would put a tear to my eye. Gholston is a physical freak. McFadden is just an all around athlete and couldn't complain with the problems he creates for defenses. Chris Long is clearly the ideal pick becuase of his non-stop motor and "Mangini" qualities. McFadden would be a great selection though and I couldn't complain one bit with him comin to the J-E-T-S.

Crickett
03-03-2008, 11:13 AM
This may make me sound liek a pesismist but we are kinda screwed if Gholston and McFadden are on the board. Yea, we may get the guy we want but the other one goes to New England. What we honestly want right now, is have on of those three guys left at #6 and none after. I want New England forced to take a CB because they are solid CB but none are premier corners. Any of those three guys would put a tear to my eye. Gholston is a physical freak. McFadden is just an all around athlete and couldn't complain with the problems he creates for defenses. Chris Long is clearly the ideal pick becuase of his non-stop motor and "Mangini" qualities. McFadden would be a great selection though and I couldn't complain one bit with him comin to the J-E-T-S.

No, New England is not solid at CB. All they have is Ellis Hobbs, who really isn't all that good. They lost Asante Samuel and they lost Randall ***. If the Patriots draft McFadden, they are going to have a serious weakness in their secondary, especially is Eugene Wilson leaves, which I hope he does.... and makes his way over to the Giants. Not to mention that while McFadden provides an upgrade at RB, he makes Laurence Maroney superfluous and makes the Patriots investment at RB much more than it should be.

Young Nasty Man
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
woops! your right i meant to type that they aren't solid. If you read what I said it makes no sense. APOLOGY TO MY FELLOW JET FANS. What I was trying to say is that I want New England to be forced to draft a cornerback considering there are no Elite Corners in the draft this year.

LonghornsLegend
03-03-2008, 01:23 PM
I was curious of how Jets fans felt about him, I really like Leon Washington and his role in the offense, top 3 kick returner in the league and explosive guy on offense, and being that you guys JUST traded for Thomas Brown I thought he would be given at least another year to get the bulk of carries since thats what he was traded for.

Seems Gholston is a better pick because he's a freak just the same, and an edge rusher like him is vital in a 3-4, im not sure if you guys would be interested in a trade down with us or not, guess it depends on who you could find in the backend of the 1st, but I think Jerry Jones gets on the phones after McFadden gets past KC.

BroadwayJoe10
03-03-2008, 02:42 PM
I think the signing of pace makes mcfadden the logical choice. I disliked the pick what with all the holes we have, but in free agency we shored up our 3 biggest needs; NT, LG and OLB. These deals sound good on paper, except for the 20 million guaranteed to Pace, but if parcells and mangini both wanted him i have to imagine he's the real deal, however we don't know if they'll all pan out.

If they do all pan out and become the players they are capable of being, than we have leverage to trade down, but i think mcfadden becomes a likely choice, even though i still don't like taking rbs that high.

AlexDown
03-03-2008, 02:55 PM
I can't think of a position the Jets are really much more set on than RB.

Then you have to consider the contract we would have to give to a player we really don't NEED.

On top of that, RBs are a dime in a dozen. Thomas Jones and Leon Washington both great.

thetedginnshow
03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I think with the signing of Pace (I heard Woody was also signed?), a trade down is the most logical choice. It seems as though they'll be trying their hardest to do just that. I do like it though that most people view us as having the option between Gholston and McFadden at our pick when there's a strong possibility of both of them being gone. Realistically, unless Dorsey or Ellis SHINE at their Pro Day, I don't see how both of those guys wouldn't be gone. But yeah. With our current signings, I'd rather us just trade down and maybe conserve some money. Granted, that's if anyone would want to trade up...

Bluedevil$
03-03-2008, 03:39 PM
I hope the Pace signing doesn't discourage Tannenbaum and Mangini from taking Gholston... we shouldn't limit ourselves to one good pass rusher.

nvot9
03-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I like a trade down to stockpile as I've said multiple times. I'd like to get 3 picks within the first two rounds and address, DE, WR, RB, and or or OLB with the 3 picks. If we trade down, and we're in a position where Mendenhall, Stewart, or McFadden is available, I don't see how we can pass on them, that being said, I'd also like Hardy, Groves, Avril, and Balmer on the team.

Young Nasty Man
03-03-2008, 06:56 PM
I think if we are goin to trade down, we aren't goin to do it until the draft. The reason is the Jets are going to want to see who is there when we pick, because all in all, if Chris Long is there, I know Mangini is going to be salivating like its a Peter Luger steak. I think we may trade down possibly with Dallas. I definately see this happening if McFadden is still there considering Jerry Jones is about to give his kidneys and his bladder for him. So personally, I wouldn't mind trading down, but I want to wait and see whats goin to happen. I've said it plenty of times and ill say it again. If Gholston is there, If Chris Long is there, and if McFadden is there, ill be creamin my pants.

Vilma the Animal
03-03-2008, 07:34 PM
First of all, let me say this off the bat. I hate all this talk of trading with the Cowboys. Even though they do have two first round picks, theyre both late and its simply not enough value in my mind to get a playmaker like MacFadden. (Unless they throw in a first or second next year as well.) I woudln't want to trade out of a spot where we can get an elite player and get two late first round picks, which would most likely be used on getting solid, but not spectacular starters.

More and more I find myself warming up to the idea of MacFadden. Honestly, I really still want Gholston but I think hell be gone. And even if he and Dmac are somehow both on board, I may still like the idea of Dmac. Going into the offseason, I was against taking MacFadden because of the sheer amount of other needs we had. But now, I think its all fallen in place for us to get the best player in the draft. We can finally take a pure value, BPA pick, and MacFadden would surely be that. Hed also have a line to run behind now, so it wouldnt be a waste of talent.

In conclusion, here's the way I see it. When I look at the Jets offense, I see many solid pieces (Cotch, LC, TJ, Leon, revamped O-line) but no true PLAYMAKERS. In order to really help Clemens' development, an explosive playmaker like MacFadden could do wonders for us. Just think of how teams would have to change their gameplans around the prospect of MacFadden and TJ sharing a backfield. The thought makes me salivate over Dmac.

tishdog
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
A good deal with Dallas would be to trade Our first and our fourth we aquired from the Saints for both of their firsts and their second.

Then at...
22. We could possibly grab Mendenhall or Stewart. If both gone OLB or Hardy.
28. Def Hardy is we didnt pick him at 22.
2a- OT (Carl Nicks) maybe an OLB if we didnt get one yet
2b- If we didnt get an RB yet maybe one here or fill a need.

This many picks in the first 2 rounds would be ideal for our squad.

thetedginnshow
03-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Dallas giving us their two first rounders would be more than fair, though I'm still not sure if they'd do it. I just see Kansas City as being the ideal trade partner if McFadden did happen to fall considering we might actually want to take DMC and KC wanting to get younger overall. For us though, if Dallas didn't trade up and if Oakland didn't take him, I see it as a solid situation for McFadden to fall into, considering the New York spotlight, the recent additions to the OL, and being able to share the work load.

From my perspective... I don't necessarily like it. No matter who it is, I'm just not a huge fan of taking RBs that early, and certainly with a guy like him that doesn't necessarily appear to be able to be the horse for a team. He might be a homerun threat, but if we're to add playmakers, I really think it has to be the passing game. Coles is a nice possession guy, but he is getting older and Cotch is good but can't necessarily create on his own. I think the addition of some big receivers with potential later on in the draft would do much more than a RB, personally. Plus, character-wise, I can't really see the Jets' FO liking him if I don't even care for his attitude. I don't know. I wouldn't hate the pick, but I certainly wouldn't be in love with it. I'll probably post a preliminary Big Board sometime soon.

Jetfanmack
03-07-2008, 01:21 AM
I have to think right now that McFadden is the most logical choice. TJ is a good back, nothing special. I like Leon, but I don't think he'll ever be a starter. I used to be against McFadden, but I'm starting to warm up to that idea. We don't have one playmaker on offense. Not one. Jones is a solid runningback, but he's never been a star, and he never will be. I just want a weapon added to this offense.

TimD
03-07-2008, 06:06 AM
If Gholston isn't there, Darren is the man. If Gholston is we have to go with our needs, and he fits that plus is a top 5 talent.

BroadwayJoe10
03-07-2008, 01:42 PM
I am not ecstatic about the mcfadden pick, but right now it seems like the best value pick. I do think mendenhall is the better all around back, however if mangini and his guys think mcfadden is the best choice i trust them to make the right decision.

As for gholston; i've wanted him big time to be a new york jet, but after the recent signing of pace, I just don't think it makes sense. We already have 3 guys filling the two spots; bowens has a 3 year 6 million dollar contract, calvin pace 6 year 42 million with 22 mill in guarantees and bryan thomas who signed a 5 year 25 million dollar extension.

I know some people hate bryan thomas, but there is no way we are going to put his 5+ million a year on the bench for the season. I just don't think it makes sense to sign another OLB for 40+ million with 17+ in guarantees; that's what laron landry got last year. It just seems like too much money for 4 guys to fill 2 spots. I think a guy in the top of the second for considerably less money like avril would be a better choice.

That's just my take on why i think mcfadden is the better choice right now, but if we take gholston i won't be upset, because that's what mangini and them think is the best choice for us. I've got a lot of faith in them as far as talent evaluation.

thetedginnshow
03-07-2008, 02:15 PM
I think we should be looking at who we'd want to take if both weren't there, rather than if both were. Of the guys potentially and most probably available, I'd have to go with Jake Long as the number one and DRC as two. I could see the draft going a couple ways, but one potential scenario is that Long will go one, Gholston two, Ryan three, and McFadden four. At five, while Long is generally the consensus #1 OT, I think Clady would be rated higher on KC's board. Call me crazy, but he fits their system much better, and he has more potential to be that elite LT than Long, at least for them. So in that scenario, I'd take Long.

Another one that could happen is the Falcons take Long instead of Ryan with the rest remaining the same. In that, I'd go DRC. After I watched that interview with McKelvin, I was really put off. He might be talented, but he just doesn't seem all too intelligent. I don't know. I just feel that for us, they'd rate DRC higher than him all things considered. And after him, I really don't see anyone worth our pick for our system. Of course, if everything goes well at his Pro Day and he was still there, I wouldn't at all be surprised if we took Dorsey...

nyjets5125
03-07-2008, 03:41 PM
I think we should be looking at who we'd want to take if both weren't there, rather than if both were. Of the guys potentially and most probably available, I'd have to go with Jake Long as the number one and DRC as two. I could see the draft going a couple ways, but one potential scenario is that Long will go one, Gholston two, Ryan three, and McFadden four. At five, while Long is generally the consensus #1 OT, I think Clady would be rated higher on KC's board. Call me crazy, but he fits their system much better, and he has more potential to be that elite LT than Long, at least for them. So in that scenario, I'd take Long.

Another one that could happen is the Falcons take Long instead of Ryan with the rest remaining the same. In that, I'd go DRC. After I watched that interview with McKelvin, I was really put off. He might be talented, but he just doesn't seem all too intelligent. I don't know. I just feel that for us, they'd rate DRC higher than him all things considered. And after him, I really don't see anyone worth our pick for our system. Of course, if everything goes well at his Pro Day and he was still there, I wouldn't at all be surprised if we took Dorsey...

thats what ive been saying that we have to think what if there both gone, and if they are...idk about jake long, cuz we have a lot of money invested in our OL now that idk if it would be the greatest pick unless we decide taht we dont liek moore, move woody to RG, and jake long at RT, but even with that tahts still a lot of money in the OL and a lot of money for a RT (but anyway it seems were pretty content with moore...as am i)...but then ive been saying CB with mckelvin, DRC, and jenkins as the possibliities and as of now i have to agree with you and go DRC because i can see him and revis being a nasty combo, revis as the shutdown corner and DRC as the explosive playmaking pick-6 type of player (similar to the chargers situation now, jammer as the shut down and cromartie, DRC's cousin, as the playmaker)...as for dorsey, i dont think we will sign him because he fits just as well as roberston in the 3-4 and weve seen how thats gone, and also as of now d-rob is still on our team

Crickett
03-07-2008, 03:52 PM
As for gholston; i've wanted him big time to be a new york jet, but after the recent signing of pace, I just don't think it makes sense. We already have 3 guys filling the two spots; bowens has a 3 year 6 million dollar contract, calvin pace 6 year 42 million with 22 mill in guarantees and bryan thomas who signed a 5 year 25 million dollar extension.

I know some people hate bryan thomas, but there is no way we are going to put his 5+ million a year on the bench for the season. I just don't think it makes sense to sign another OLB for 40+ million with 17+ in guarantees; that's what laron landry got last year. It just seems like too much money for 4 guys to fill 2 spots. I think a guy in the top of the second for considerably less money like avril would be a better choice.

So the Jets should just trot out a trio of scrubs out there because they paid a lot of money for them?

Young Nasty Man
03-07-2008, 04:38 PM
So the Jets should just trot out a trio of scrubs out there because they paid a lot of money for them?

Im agreeing wtih Crickett. That is no reason to send out players. If someone doesn't desrve to play, they shouldn't be on the field. With that said, im agreeing with one of my long time Best Friends, Vilma The Animal. If McFadden is there it is hard to toss up that opportunity. Yes, I know we have TJ. Yes, I know we have Leon. But you know what. Darren McFadden is a playmaker. Not saying that neither of those guys are, but Darren McFadden is a deep threat. He can stretch the field from all over. The thing that means the most to me is the fact that he is going to allow us to run rediculous formations and do rediculous things because of what he has done in college. If it comes down to Gholston and DMac, I gotta go with Gholston though. I want to put out a dangerous set of OLBs. Just putting Gholston out on the field, it will allow us to free up Pace and allow him to produce. Also, it can allow us to get a pair of fresh legs every couple of plays with a rotation. Thats what I truly want to see out next year. A sick pass rush and I wouldn't complain one bit. And I've said it once, and ill say it again, if we don't take Gholston round one, Cliff Avril Round 2.

nyjets5125
03-07-2008, 05:06 PM
also, just look at the pats, they had a bunch of LBs (even OLBs) that were highly paid...adalius thomas even moved inside for most of the time which from what i have heard pace has the ability to do...best case scenario would be to restructure thomas but idk how likley that is

hcbrad08
03-08-2008, 01:04 AM
I know a lot of people like the OLBs in this draft class a lot but does anyone else think Roosevelt Colvin would be a good signing. I love him he was the most explosive player on the patriots defense...vrabel has power but Colvin has power and moves. I just think it would be typical for mangini to bring in another ex patriot to the Jets. I like gholston and until FA i was resigned to him being our #1 pick at 6 but circumstances have changed...I know people want a playmaker on offense but I really believe we can trade down from our spot regardless of who is there...I think there are enough teams who would pull the trigger to trade up for ellis dorsey long long mcfadden clady or ryan...I dont think we should take a player like a RB at 6 with a high bust potential (not that mcfadden neccesarily has a high bust potential but RBs at the top in general) when they come from all over...look at Leon Washington although hes not a starter he is a threat from the 4th rd. brian westbrook marion barber rudi johnson brandon jacobs frank gore all 3rd rd or lower. I know a lot of stars are born in the first rd but why should be take a back who has questions like mcfadden. ESP when we have a steady RB who can only improve with a better OL. I know MCFAD is multitalented but hes not a prototypical back like mendenhall or stewart...why not trade down for one of them if RB is somewhat important? or if a playmaker in the passing game is important why not trade down for sweed or hardy? or take hardy and stewart? I like that much better than Mcfadden.

I think they present a safer investment that also yield more picks and less guaranteed money. Im just throwing it out there bc I think McFadden could be great and reinvent the position like marshall faulk did but I also think of blair thomas...Adrian peterson who mcfadden is compared to ran in a much more traditional offense and seriously was a threat to score from the 1st time he touched the ball his freshman year...look at the boise state bowl game in the clutch he scored on th 1st play in overtime. His question marks were injuries (they came to fruition) McFadden is fun to watch but he has a lot more question marks than peterson what if they come to fruition....there are character issues. he split time with another potential 1st rder. he played in a weird offense where he could fake a pass at anytime when he lined up as an option qb. His team still sucked.His frame is not that of a traditional NFL back...he runs like peterson upright but does not deliver as much of a blow or have the frame to absorb that hit like AD can hes akin to michael vick in size (Mcfadden 62 215 vick 60 215...vick actually has more bulk per inch)..Let's just say I dont look at him as adrian peterson but a taller michael vick who plays RB (still could be a good position im just scared of that pick)

I really would prefer signing someone like Colvin and moving him Pace and Thomas around....Just liek RBs there are always OLB pass rushers in almost every draft throughout including this one(Tommy blake 4th or 5th cliff avril 2nd or 3rd Bruce Davis 3rd or 4th)..we then could trade down in the 1st and grab a RB if needed or WR or OLB DE I also dont like picking in front of the patriots usualky this would be a blessing but if we go with one pick they take the next player and we wonder...biding our time with the pick in front of them and trading it makes sense to me so we can see tehir hand....ALSO THERE IS JUST SUCH BETTER VALUE AT 26 rather than 6. I think colvin signing is unlikely i just like the idea of knowing what you are getting and no real adjustment to speak of I also think the 2 positions we talk about at 6 OLB and RB can be found elsewhere

Id love a trade with dallas but McFadden being there is IFFY from what ive been reading of the raiders they want him or a DT. If mcfadden were there as youve seen above id like to trade and perhaps go off the deep end a little and draft Kenny Phillips, Kentwan Balmder, Jonathan Stewart, Limas Sweed or James Hardy (well 2 of the bunch) I think we could get a #2 cb in the 2nd... I think its in our best interest to pick a few playmakers this year to get things going as Alan Faneca said (we want to win now) we could also instead of getting 2 picks this year trade for some picks this year and next year.... Im really just fireballing ideas Im pleased with the offseason and think that the draft should be really hard to F UP which is why i want to get a way from high bust potentials in the top of the draft (not neccessarily by play but by value as well #6 overpaid for mediocre to above average performance is the last thing we need.... DROB) at 6 you need a stud for a long time. The only thing i would truly hate not upset or say okay i dont love it but okay but I MEAN HATE is a trade up in the 1st rd. (at 6 to higher not moving from 2nd rd to 1st thatd be okay id understand for the cap and playmakers) I would like one in the later rds but in the 1st i would say we scrwed ourselves...

Players I love at this moment for the Jets (no real order)

Sweed
Hardy
Stewart
Phillips
Nelson
Nicks
Moore
Godfrey
Davis
Blake
Dragosavich (yes a punter haha JK)

Young Nasty Man
03-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Roosevelt Colvin is kinda injury prone and he is getting old. Personally, rather go wtih the younger talent at this point. We got a lot of veterans and its great, but there is only so much you can get. So, I really rather get a guy like Gholston. I really wouldn't mind Colvin, but I prefer to draft an OLB. If we trade down, I wouldn't mind DRC. But its just so high to take a cornerback. I dont know maybe its me, but Im just not so sold on this pick this high.

nyjets5125
03-08-2008, 12:52 PM
well said hcbrad, i agree on a lot of those points, but if gholston is left idc i want him, even though it is looking more and more like hell be gone by our pick...colvin would be an interesting signing but i wouldnt want him for more htan a year or two and not to much money because i am really startign to like the idea of drafting a groves, avril, or other OLB in the draft (outside of round 1)

also you siad youread raiders loving mcfadden, and i did read taht too, btu then i also saw that they restructed rhodes conract (instead of cutting him like expected) and havent yet let lamont jordan go (he was expected to be cut), so idk what this all means

also, whats with the hate for ben graham? haah i love the guy

hcbrad08
03-08-2008, 11:18 PM
no hate on ben graham at times i thought he was our best player I just can project 7th rd...NO ONE could predict Chansi Stuckey in the 7th last year...
Ive just heard hes on the outs with tangini bc we ranked 20th in the league in net yards on punts and he had some times when he held the ball too long. I love his style of kicking i just was playing to the news...

Also I would like to go younger at OLB but Colvin is only 30 he was the younger patriots LB who started last season and is not injury prone but got injured 11 games into the season first times hes missed time bc of injury since 03 i think. I just like him bc I know they used him inside and out and i know we like to cherry pick players...I still think he has some in the tank...thats said I agree i only want him for 1-2 years. bc I think if we trade dwn in the 1st we dont have to worry about lb if we have him
1a 1b and 2 could go to WR DE and CB or RB...ex
1a Balmer
1b Hardy
2 Cason

1a Sweed
1b Talib
2 Moore

I jjust like the added flexibility

also I heard we're after ben utecht to compliment baker if we dont sign him I like th 67 TE from Tenn....THOUGHTS? cottam

Young Nasty Man
03-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Personally, I prefer the second one but the first one is more likely. I think Talib is goin to be an unbelievable pro and I really like Limas Sweed. I have liked him since college. I would really like to have both those guys, but like I said before Balmer and Hardy seems more realistic. Balmer would fall to that pick and would fit really well in the 3-4. Also, I read that James Hardy was looked at by the Jets. He would also be a great fit because he is just a massive freak.

nyjets5125
03-09-2008, 10:57 PM
yeah i said that before, and agree abaout utecht or cottam

i would love balmer and hardy...also whats the deal with cason, i konw he was supposed to be the top CB in this draft and dissapointed in his senior year, but where do you guys have him ranked for CBs...i think i have him 4th behind DRC, mckelvin, jenkins...im not too high on talib but i wouldnt mind him at all

hcbrad08
03-09-2008, 11:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/index

watch the video on should the raiders draft mcfadden

if you dont it effectively says that they CANNOT afford McFadden after spending so much money w small cap room....but still possibility...Also said should trade out if they can...Dallas? Id liek that opportunity but Im revisitiing going after gholston again bc hes insane. I think Gholston is a great pick at 6 after his unbelieveable pro day and trading out is a great option...His workout really helped our situation bc if he isnt there mcfadden prob is and we can trade out refer to my other posts for why....buit if gholston is there we can take him and its great and after these numbers Im sure we could also get a couple of takers to trade up for him. I think the stars are aligning in terms of need and circumstance as of today.