PDA

View Full Version : Happy trails Griese

DaBears0530
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3275070 to the bucs for a draft pick.

awfullyquiet
03-03-2008, 03:15 PM
only a matter of time.

6th round?

iowatreat54
03-03-2008, 03:34 PM
rumor is that it's for 2009 draft, so nothing to care about right now...but I'm glad we got someone to give us a draft pick for him

xspikex
03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
It's a really bad move to get rid of him, he was our best QB last year, and is a much more consistent backup then Grossman.

Besides he could actually have tought Orton and whoever we bring in a thing or two.
I don't want Grossman to try to teach anyone anything.
Resigning Grossman was sooo stupid.
He will probably look great in practice when he dosen't have to worry about getting hit and get a chance to start, and I don't even want to think about what that means.

regoob2
03-03-2008, 03:59 PM
We have coaches to teach.

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I really like Griese as a person, his charity work and all that.

That said, he threw WAY too many interceptions last year. Too risky, too old, blah blah.

I said in the other thread that I was amazed we got something for him, even if it's a 7th rounder in 2009.

Best o' luck Brian.

iowatreat54
03-03-2008, 04:05 PM
It's a really bad move to get rid of him, he was our best QB last year, and is a much more consistent backup then Grossman.

Besides he could actually have tought Orton and whoever we bring in a thing or two.
I don't want Grossman to try to teach anyone anything.
Resigning Grossman was sooo stupid.
He will probably look great in practice when he dosen't have to worry about getting hit and get a chance to start, and I don't even want to think about what that means.

while Griese was better than Grossman, one can prolly argue that Orton was obviously our best QB...I don't necessary agree that resigning Grossman was stupid considering he still has a lot of upside and it's only a 1 year deal...the whole providing knowledge to Orton is pretty useless considering Orton has 2 years, 1 of which being a full season essentially, and the other he spent "learning" from Griese, so I don't really know how much more Griese could provide...if we bring in a rookie it will be on the first day most likely, and we expect him to compete right away...after this year, depending how Orton/Rexy do, one will be leaving and we will prolly bring in a vet QB who can then mentor the rookie...so, I don't really have any problems with this move

pellepelle_10
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Buccaneers | Team acquires Griese
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:05:55 -0800

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced Monday, March 3, that they acquired QB Brian Griese (Bears) from the Chicago Bears in exchange for an undisclosed draft pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

BeerBaron
03-03-2008, 05:09 PM
im surprised we found a trade partner. all tampa would have had to do was wait a little bit longer for us to cut him before his bonus was due....

oh well, a free late round pick. ill take it

NEtimehester
03-03-2008, 06:38 PM
This pretty much gaurentees that we will be drafting a quarterback. I just hope its not a day one pick since we have many other pressing needs.

DaBears0530
03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
day one is only through round 2 this year its going to be weird..

Smokey Joe
03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I really like Griese as a person, his charity work and all that.

That said, he threw WAY too many interceptions last year. Too risky, too old, blah blah.

I said in the other thread that I was amazed we got something for him, even if it's a 7th rounder in 2009.

Best o' luck Brian.

Even that is in question as Griese isn't guaranteed a spot either. I am speculating that the Bucs are going to draft a QB first day this year, and that would mean Griese would have to battle it out with Simms (can he still even play?) and McCown (he actually did surprisingly well last season) for the backup spot to Garcia.

However, I believe Griese is the better of the 3, and with his experience in Chucky's offense already, I think he has a good shot at making the team.

iowatreat54
03-03-2008, 09:16 PM
day one is only through round 2 this year its going to be weird..

wait, what? they are only doing rounds 1 and 2 on saturday?

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 09:16 PM
This pretty much gaurentees that we will be drafting a quarterback. I just hope its not a day one pick since we have many other pressing needs.
We have pressing needs, but we also need to keep the future in mind. Unless Orton or Grossman really establish themselves, we are once again left with the quarterback issue. It's unlikely we're going to answer that question past the 2nd, maybe 3rd round, so I think it has to come with at the very least our late 3rd.

xspikex
03-03-2008, 11:49 PM
I personally can't see that Grossman has any upside left. To me he's damaged goods and resigning him was a case of our FO and coaches not learning when to let go.
Sure he has a strong arm, but he looks scared out there, he's an injury waiting to happen, and he fails to step up into the pocket almost all the time.
I think it's time to give up and move on.
Now we won't and that's just sad.

You could easily make the case that Orton was our best QB last year, and I think he deserves every chance to start this year. However I believe we need a good backup QB, and Griese would fill that roll alot better than Grossman.

Getting a pick out of him was a good thing though.

dabears10
03-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I personally can't see that Grossman has any upside left. To me he's damaged goods and resigning him was a case of our FO and coaches not learning when to let go.
Sure he has a strong arm, but he looks scared out there, he's an injury waiting to happen, and he fails to step up into the pocket almost all the time.

You could easily make the case that Orton was our best QB last year, and I think he deserves every chance to start this year. However I believe we need a good backup QB, and Griese would fill that roll alot better than Grossman.

It was a one year deal for cheap. It was good market value for Rex Grossman. Griese didn't work out in Chicago. I don't think he's any better than Rex. Why do you believe Griese is a good backup QB?

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Haha....we signed him to a one year deal, one that was better than guys like Josh McCown got btw.

pellepelle_10
03-04-2008, 12:41 AM
im surprised we found a trade partner. all tampa would have had to do was wait a little bit longer for us to cut him before his bonus was due....

oh well, a free late round pick. ill take it

seriously..i was expecting he'd walk.

brat316
03-04-2008, 12:56 AM
i know stock piling on linemen or skill position is one thing but qbs come on bucs

regoob2
03-04-2008, 07:56 AM
I guess it's a conditional 6th which is great.

iowatreat54
03-04-2008, 09:57 AM

how are you so blatantly oblivious to Griese not being good....he started like half the year and sucked, how can you say he would be better than Grossman? Just because he's older so he is "wiser" as a backup? and Grossman doesn't have any upside? The first half of the 2006 season he was competing for MVP, and now he is completely shot? Hell, last season he even showed some glimpses of being good, just inconsistent and most of the time he just looked bad, but still, you can't tell me he showed nothing to justify giving him a 1 year contract...bottom line, Griese was not good and we are better with Grossman than him, end of story

xspikex
03-04-2008, 01:34 PM
how are you so blatantly oblivious to Griese not being good....he started like half the year and sucked, how can you say he would be better than Grossman? Just because he's older so he is "wiser" as a backup? and Grossman doesn't have any upside? The first half of the 2006 season he was competing for MVP, and now he is completely shot? Hell, last season he even showed some glimpses of being good, just inconsistent and most of the time he just looked bad, but still, you can't tell me he showed nothing to justify giving him a 1 year contract...bottom line, Griese was not good and we are better with Grossman than him, end of story

I just want Orton to get a fair shot at starting, and I rather have Griese, who was sacked alot less, completed over 60% of his passes and had a better TD to turnover ratio then Grossman, backing him up.

Do you still believe that Grossman can start again and be effective?

If you do then of course you want him as Ortons backup.
But I don't think he or Griese will ever be starters again, so I'd take Grieses better play last year, and throughout his career, over Grossmans supposed upside any day of the week when it comes to backing up our two young QBs (I'm certain we'll draft one).

Anyway, it's really a pointless discussion, since our FO have made up their minds. I just think it was a mistake.
I hope what I wrote makes sense, I'm from Sweden so you'll have to excuse my bad english.

regoob2
03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Do you still believe that Grossman can start again and be effective?

Does JA and the coaching staff? I believe so or he wouldn't be on the team.