PDA

View Full Version : Which signing was the best?

bearsfan_51
03-03-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm going to leave "best" as a vague term, but you can consider it financial value, impact on team, etc. It's pretty open. The options will be limited, and I'll leave out the "other" option so everyone just doesn't vote for their own player. If you want to make a case for a signing that not everyone (or maybe just me in this case) thinks was great, by all means.

Bluedevil$
03-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Briggs was a great resigning. Moss came back to N.E. for a pretty reasonable price, considering his value.

OzTitan
03-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I say Briggs. Unless I'm mistaken, 6y $36M, no? That's good, particularly considering he actually *is* an elite player at his position. Or at least much closer than most FA's so far.

I'd say Alge Crumpler for the $5M $1M guaranteed but I think those details were inaccurate ;)

And just to cover it, best move I think is Stroud to Bills. Both sides like the deal but I think the Jags may end up liking it more, the extra third may give them ammo to move up and draft a good DE.

art vandelay
03-03-2008, 07:29 PM
Moss. HOF caliber player at a VERY reasonable cost.

TimD
03-03-2008, 07:31 PM
If the Jets didn't pay so much it would be an amazing off season. Jenkins, Faneca, Pace, and Woody will really help. Only problem is they cost a fortune. Hopefully we get Eugene Wilson

BaLLiN
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I think its between Michael Turner and Donte Stallworth. They both got relatively low contracts and are both good values.

Turner give Atlanta a clean player, and a power runner to compliment Norwood.

Stallworth is a nice run after catch reciever with speed, I personally think he was the best signing. He provides future starting QB, Brady Quinn, another target besides Braylon and Winslow. Braylon is more of a possession or red zone WR, Northcutt is an average burner i guess, and now Stallworth is their run after catch reciever. It also makes defenses not able pay attention to Winslow or Edwards as much.

Twiddler
03-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Briggs was signed to a very reasonable contract but I have to go with Moss on this one. He is a vital part of that offense and is a potential HOF quality player so to be signed for that price it is a great move. Then compare it to what Berrian got and it looks even better.

JagHombre22
03-03-2008, 07:36 PM
I think signing Drayton Florence (who was the second best corner available) to play the nickel in a division with Peyton Manning...giving us three good corners...is one of the best moves...

BamaFalcon59
03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Like I said in another thread...

Personally, I think Michael Turner is the best signing of the offseason so far. Reasonable price (6 years for less than 35 million), perfect compliment to Jerious Norwood, fits the power running game we want, and filled a huge need.

It could be me being biased, but I liked this signing a lot and wanted it before it happened as well.

Smooth Criminal
03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I personally think it was the Faneca signing. Having him play between Ferguson and Mangold will really improve that line.

brat316
03-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't know about Burner Turner, he didn't do to well when L.T. was injured, he was running behind same line and didn't show it. IDK maybe he just needs some time.

Best Signing
BEN for 8 yrd. 102 million.

BaLLiN
03-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Stallworth was signed for 7 years at 35 million i think, thats a pretty good deal.

Chucky
03-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I think signing Drayton Florence (who was the second best corner available) to play the nickel in a division with Peyton Manning...giving us three good corners...is one of the best moves...

He is a decent corner. He got waaay too much money though.

Bluedevil$
03-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Stallworth was signed for 7 years at 35 million i think, thats a pretty good deal.

How much guaranteed? It looks like too much for a guy that's never eclipsed 1,000 yards

Thunder&Lightning
03-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Gotta go with moss. Best player available and the patriots O wouldnt be nearly as good without him. The deal is fair for both sides and hopefully both sides are happy because i no pats fans are.

umphrey
03-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah gotta be Moss, he is a good value and the only signing that alone significantly improves their SB chances over that period.

OzTitan
Briggs only got 12m guaranteed? That's pretty damn good. Don't know how anyone can say it isn't the best value signing.

princefielder28
If Vilma can return anywhere close to the caliber he was at before his injury then the Saints made a wondeful trade

brat316
03-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Pats had offensive fire power with 1 good and 2 great WR. The Eagles went like O yeah, watch this signed Asante and how have 1 Great cb, 1 Great cb when healthy, and 1 Good cb. Shutting down offenses all day, now. Team won't know how to stop that, now even the Giants front 4 can't beat that.

skinzzfan25
03-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm goin with Moss also.

Without him, Welker wouldn't be nearly as effective. Gaffney, or pretty much anybody else, doesn't stretch the field as well as Moss. Plus, they got him at a very reasonable contract. Especially compared to what some of the others have gotten.

BaLLiN
03-03-2008, 07:54 PM
How much guaranteed? It looks like too much for a guy that's never eclipsed 1,000 yards

But he averages 15.1 per reception, he doesn't have to be the #1 reciever and he has only been that once, at philly where he would've gotten 1,000 if he hadn't gotten injured.

SaintsMan
03-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Vilma. The Saints go from having the worst starting MLB in the NFL to one of the best.

Flyboy
03-03-2008, 07:57 PM
I'll probably go with Briggs.

Joeyjr09
03-03-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm going with Jon Vilma. People forget how good he is. I mean he is potentially one of the 5 best LBs in the NFL when he's used properly and he was had for very little.

If he gets back to what he was be4 the Jets 3-4 move, the Saints will have gotten arguably the best young LB in the NFL for what will be a mid to low 2nd round pick. Can't argue with that. It's a fairly low risk move which can't be said about a majority of the signings above.

On the list above, the only guys that I would take over Vilma (if they were all healthy) are Randy Moss and Randy Moss. Given his age, talent and low cost, I think Vilma is hands down the best move of the offseason.

mqtirishfan
03-03-2008, 08:08 PM
No love for Tommy Kelly?

Jughead10
03-03-2008, 08:12 PM
I actually really like Odom signing with the Bengals the best.

ATLDirtyBirds
It's Moss or Briggs. Two elite players who didn't get paid like the market would suggest.

Crazy_Chris
I'd have to say the bears re-signing Lance Briggs for only 36 Million with 12 Garunteed is the best Signing so far. Followed by the patriots re-signing Randy Moss.

hugegmenfan
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I totally agree with JoeyJr. Assuming Vilma is healthy and his injury turns out well, he was a total steal for the Saints. For a 3rd or 4th round conditional pick? thats incredible. Vilma is a great MLB...in a 4-3 system. He did not work well with Mangini but people forget he was defensive rookie of the year and was an animal before Mangini came. He is still very young and I think he will be a very good player for the Saints

regoob2
03-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Briggs was the best player for the money by far. Vilma is he plays to expectations.

SaintsFanForLife
03-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I would have to say Vilma was the best sign. Not just becoause im a Saints fan but I think for the price we paid we got a steal.

eaglesalltheway
03-03-2008, 08:20 PM
I say Moss because the Pats would have been Hurting bad if he were to sign somewhere else. The Briggs deal is a close second for me with Samuel my third. CB wasn't exactly this big of a need, but if the Eagles keep all of theirs, it won't be a need for a long, long time. This would be much lower on the list if it weren't for Samuel being the best player in the FA market. Briggs going back to the Bears is second because the Bears, whether they beleive it or not, need Briggs, and as it turned out Briggs needed the Bears. Their system is truly what fits him best, and the Bears keep him for a while. Moss is first for many reasons. The Pats lost sooo much in this FA period, that losing Moss would have been a big blow. I wouldn't say it would cripple them, but it might have given them a gimp. :) Moss was the second best player available in FA, by a very close margin, and fitted on of the seamingly biggest needs on their team. If this signing were not to have happened, Wes Welker would not be able to make the plays he made this year. Don't get me wrong, Welker would have been productive, but we certainly would have seen a major drop in stats from this past year.

jetsfan0099
03-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I think Faneca was, because I think he could make the greatest impact. The Jets needed to make this move, to help out Ferguson and Mangold. It could now form one of the best left sides of a OL in the NFL.

Xiomera
03-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Lance Briggs . . . they gave him the least amount of guaranteed money, and an annual salary of just 6 mil.

Pretty good deal if you ask me.

But let's not underestimate the Lions signing of Michael Gaines . . . hahahahaha

eaglesfan_45
03-03-2008, 09:11 PM
I have to say that the jets are looking good with their offseason this far

iowatreat54
03-03-2008, 09:13 PM
umm Briggs...he received 6 years $36M one year of high production and another pro bowl after we offered him 6 years $36M last year

LonghornsLegend
03-03-2008, 09:13 PM
My choice wasnt up there, im going with Dante Stallworth, because he makes alot of guys job so much easier even without doing anything, and he was alot cheaper then Berrian who does virtually the same things...Braylon and Winslow should flourish, and you have to respect stallworths speed, Anderson has the arm to get the ball to these guys as well, I think he can make a huge difference in their offense...

If I had to go with a choice I really like Turner to ATL, perfect compliment to Norwood, he fits the ZBS great and can also take it the distance, and assures they dont have to spend an early pick on a rb...Great fit.

Bills2083
03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Lance Briggs.
The Bears signed him for cheap. I was expecting him to get $8 or $9 million a season.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-03-2008, 10:41 PM
I voted the Vilma trade for the Saints. It was an area of considerable need for a long time, and to finally address it with what is hopefully a healthy Jonathan Vilma, I think is a great acquisition. The impact he can have for that team is well worth the value.

Based on actual FA, and not a trade, i'd say Briggs, which i never would have though would happen based on last season. All i had heard was about how he wouldn't return and how he was going to be getting a monster contract, so to actually resign him and get it at a very reasonable price given his past performance and market factors, i think they got great value.

Faneca is a nice pickup, and his value will come more from how he helps the two guys beside him than just what he does as an upgrade at his position. I definitely think he was worth the money, and although his contract is larger than Briggs, the 'value' that comes with the signing to the overall offensive line stability it may provide may be equal to Briggs. However, due to the uncertainty of not knowing if it really will be the factor that helps Mangold and D’Brick break out, its hard to be certain, so i give the edge to Briggs because you know what your getting and what he can do for that defense.

Not a huge fan of the Samuel contract, and Turner is an unproven commodity as a starter, so they are harder to gauge at this point
Moss is a nice signing. We know what he and Brady can do together already so there is no doubt that maintaining that combination is huge for the Patriots team/offense. Doesn't really matter if its a higher per year contract, they need to be accounted for. Lets hope (well, i'll hope the opposite) that him not being on a one year contract doesn't let him settle for being average again. I don't see that happening, but its worth noting.

Nitschke-Hawk
03-03-2008, 10:53 PM
I choose Michael Turner based on potential. He's got a chance to be a main reason why the franchise could turn around and if he puts up big numbers it's a nice contract for Atlanta.

bantx
03-03-2008, 10:56 PM
add big ben on there!

MasterShake
03-03-2008, 11:50 PM
But he averages 15.1 per reception, he doesn't have to be the #1 reciever and he has only been that once, at philly where he would've gotten 1,000 if he hadn't gotten injured.

Bingo! Story of his career...

TitleTown088
03-04-2008, 12:32 AM
No Bernard Berrian or Madieu Williams?

JagHombre22
03-04-2008, 12:35 AM
ha...Williams got WAYYY too much money...and Berrian did too...

skiinginNJ
03-04-2008, 01:10 AM
justin tuck........oops

UKfan
03-04-2008, 05:57 AM
I like the Stroud to Bills move personally, but in terms of value it's got to be Briggs.

Meta4
03-04-2008, 06:01 AM
For the price the Bears retained Briggs for I would say the Briggs signing was the best thus far.

Dam8610
03-04-2008, 08:36 AM
I can't believe Cleveland gave Anderson that much in guarantees...but after this season it could be a very tradeable contract, which is probably what they were looking for, so in that sense, it could be the best overall signing. For overall value though, I'd have to go with either of the trades. Vilma and Stroud could make very large impacts on their new teams provided they come back at 100%.

The Legend
03-04-2008, 08:49 AM
No love for Tommy Kelly?

lol i think that won the worsting signing
Briggs or Asante, i went with Asante

bigbluedefense
03-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Briggs for the money. Moss for the player.

Its real close between those 2. Briggs was a great move. And they got him for cheap. Moss is Moss. The greatest deep threat in NFL history. And he only got 3 mill more than Berrian's overrated ass.

Id give a slight edge to Moss, because i think he impacts the game more than Briggs does, but its close.

P-L
03-04-2008, 10:39 AM
The Bears got one of the best LB's in all of football for $6 million per year. I think it's easily Briggs.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Briggs for the money. Moss for the player.

Its real close between those 2. Briggs was a great move. And they got him for cheap. Moss is Moss. The greatest deep threat in NFL history. And he only got 3 mill more than Berrian's overrated ass.

Id give a slight edge to Moss, because i think he impacts the game more than Briggs does, but its close.
I don't think there's any question about that. Briggs isn't even the most important linebacker on our team.

johbur
03-04-2008, 11:27 AM
For the team: Derek Anderson. Where would each of these teams be without the guy they signed? Derek Anderson broke a tradition of losing in Cleveland. Pats still win their division without Moss (and when did $9 million a year seem a reasonable price and the player not getting PAID!), Briggs played last year and the Bears still had a losing record, maybe Samuel will change things for the Eagles, but not sure if CB was why they had a losing year. Vilma to the Saints is a big impact for that defense. Faneca to the Jets could have the same effect that Joe Thomas to the Browns had for that O-line. Thomas to the Falcons doesn't seem to be a vast improvement over the RBs they had, though maybe he's better to the new system.

Best signing for the player is obviously Tommie Kelly. WTF is Al Davis thinking?

bigbluedefense
03-04-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't think there's any question about that. Briggs isn't even the most important linebacker on our team.

You still stole him though. Im shocked at that contract. With everyone throwing money at bumbs, the one real good player available on the market gets lowballed compared to everyone else.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
That's because NFL teams don't appreciate tackling anymore. Briggs can't rush the passer, and apparently just being a good tackler with great ball skills and instincts isn't enough to get paid in the NFL anymore.

Calvin Pace, of all 6 1/2 career sacks Calvin Pace, can get 20+ in guarantees. It's ridiculous, and I really hope more teams go to the 3-4 because it's making all of the great 4-3 talent cheap as hell.