PDA

View Full Version : Post-Combine Two Round Mock Draft (Descriptions added)

ThePudge
03-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Trying to throw something original out there without going over the top. In this world, it's simply reality that players rise and fall, so if your team is the victim of a reach, don't cry about it. Let me know any systematic problems, I'm not going to value your opinion at all if you simply say something like "Give us ____________ there." Just let me know why the player doesn't fit the system. Enjoy! I personally really like the way it turned out so far...

1. Miami Dolphins - Matt Ryan - QB - Boston College
---Anything could happen with Bill Parcells calling the shots. My bet at the moment is that he starts over and puts a new face on the franchise, Matt Ryan. Ryan may not be Peyton Manning, but he's a smart, gutsy player, with the tools to be a very effective pro. In the end, I think Parcells will go with the new "franchise QB" rather than Chris or Jake Long. I think the signing of Josh McCown reinforces this pick actually, giving the Fins someone who would be able to start the season if Ryan is not ready.

2. St. Louis Rams - Chris Long - DE - Virginia
---This one comes down to Chris Long vs. Jake Long. The team needs a bit more help on the defensive line where they have been unable to generate any pass rush. The Offensive Line struggled in a big way last year with Orlando Pace out, but could gamble on Pace returning healthy rather than drafting his replacement.

3. Atlanta Falcons - Jake Long - OT - Michigan
---The ideal situation is for Matt Ryan to be here, but in this scenario, he's not. Of course, they may trade up to get him, but probably have too many needs to committ to that. With the recent signing of Michael Turner, Darren McFadden is all but erased from possibility. Jake Long would be an excellent building block for this Falcons O-Line and can play either LT or RT.

4. Oakland Raiders - Darren McFadden - RB - Arkansas
---The Raiders go with the flashy pick here with Al Davis' influence. McFadden is an extraordinary athlete and is inredible in space. A big, fast, powerful back who would be a major improvement over Justin Fargas. They could go with Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis here as well, but after the resigning of Tommy Kelly, they don't necessarily have to attack that need right now.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - Sedrick Ellis - DT - USC
---The battle here is between Ellis, Dorsey and reaching for an OT. The final judgement call is to go with the bigger, healthier Sedrick Ellis. Ellis is a fine value here, a strong, physical DT with excellent quickness and pass-rush ability.

6. New York Jets - Vernon Gholston - OLB - Ohio State
---Even with the recent signing of Calvin Pace, the Jets can't ignore the value Gholston brings here and the need he fills. Gholston is an extremely athletic pass-rusher who should settle right in to the 3-4 OLB role and immediately contribute. A better prospect than DeMarcus Ware was in 2005.

7. New England Patriots (f/SF) - Rashard Mendenhall - RB - Illinois
---I'm a firm believer that the Patriots will trade out of this pick. If they don't, however, I think they'll take the best player available. They'll be praying Gholston drops just one more spot and could consider Ryan Clady or Chris Williams here. I decided to go with Mendenhall because A) He was the #1 talent on the board, B) He'll step in and contribute immediately in a big way, even if it's as a 3rd down back using his hands out of the backfield. Laurence Maroney, though having tons of potential, is injury prone and has run for less than 1000 yards and only 6 Td's in his first two years, he also had only 4 receptions a year ago. Mendenhall has excellent potential in the redzone.

8. Baltimore Ravens - Leodis McKelvin - CB - Troy
---The Ravens have plenty of needs and could easily go OT or QB here, but their most glaring need still has to be cornerback where they really struggled a year ago. McKelvin may not be unanimously the top corner, but he has the ability to return punts and play in either man or zone coverages.

9. Cincinnati Bengals - Derrick Harvey - DE - Florida
---Scary isn't it...The thought that Glenn Dorsey would fall all the way to #9 and the Bengals would pass on him. Scary, but realistic. Like the eight teams before them the Bengals are scared off by Dorsey's injury problems and instead pursue their real #1 need, a pass rushing defensive end. The Bengals had 22 sacks last year, good for last in the NFL, so start getting used to it people, even though Antwan Odom was signed the team is still extremely weak at DE. *Mock Draft was made before the Odom signing. Had I known, it may have been Dorsey. I can live with it though

10. New Orleans Saints - Glenn Dorsey - DT - LSU
---I think if the Saints passed on Dorsey here there'd be riots in the entire state of Louisiana, from Baton Rouge where Dorsey played his famed college career to New Orleans, the home of the Saints. Well, fear not Saints fans, because Dorsey's not getting out of the Top 10. Every year a player slips, if just a little bit. Dorsey, though an incredible talent, has injury concerns that will likely push him out of the Top 5, and down to the next fit, the New Orleans Saints.

11. Buffalo Bills - Brandon Flowers - CB - Virginia Tech
---The "booo's" may come out in Radio City Music Hall on this one (Depending how many Bills fans we have there.) The Bills are known for doing draft day their own way, often trading up or reaching just to get their guy. This time around it's Flowers. Flowers is the #1 CB on many teams' board, probably including the Buffalo Bills, where he'd be a picture perfect fit in their Tampa 2 Defense. Flowers may not be particularly big or fast, but he's a physical ballhawk and an excellent fit. Their WR hole is a bit smaller with the signing of Bryant Johnson, as is their OLB hole after signing Kawika Mitchell. A Mid-Late first round value is a reach here, but it's the Bills and I would approve of the pick personally.

12. Denver Broncos - Keith Rivers - OLB - USC
---With Rivers, Ryan Clady, and Chris Williams available Denver has a decision cut out for them. Since the Broncos usually depend on the later round to build their OL I'll go with the class's #1 Linebacker here, Keith Rivers. Rivers would replace Ian Gold on the weakside and would start from Day One.

13. Carolina Panthers - Ryan Clady - OT - Boise State
---With Clady falling here, it's hard to resist going OT. In this scenario, Travelle Wharton could be moved inside to OG where he is a better fit, allowing Clady to take over as the team's LT. Clady and Jordan Gross would team up to form one of the league's top young OT tandems. Phillip Merling and local product Kentwan Balmer got plenty of thought here.

14. Chicago Bears - Limas Sweed - WR - Texas
---So many options tempted me here. Chris Williams, Jonathan Stewart, even Chad Henne raced through my mind. I, however, settled on Sweed. After cutting Mushin Muhammed and losing Bernard Berrian to Free Agency, the Bears remain very weak and extremely thin at WR. Unless they acquire an impact receiver through Free Agency, they'll have to draft one, and they should get on that quickly. I wanted to take Williams here, but my hands were tied after examining the Bears roster. Sweed is a big, fast receiver that isn't much of a reach here and has #1 potential though, so it's not like they aren't getting a good player.

15. Detroit Lions - Chris Williams - OT - Vanderbilt
---It has seemed like forever that the Lions have been searching for a true Left Tackle to protect the QB. They finally find a good one here in Chris Williams, who could go as early as 7th Overall. Williams has seen his stock rise a good amount in the past month and he bring value and fits a need here. I also considered Stewart again and Mike Jenkins at cornerback.

16. Arizona Cardinals - Mike Jenkins - CB - South Florida
---Finally, the draft's top cover corner comes off the board. For the third pick in a row I considered Jonathan Stewart here strongly, but after moving Antrel Rolle to Safety, the Cardinals have themselves a considerable hole at Cornerback. Wide Receiver is a consideration seeing as Larry Fitzgerald may be be on his way out.

17. Minnesota Vikings - Phillip Merling - DE - Clemson
---The Vikings stay put and get a great value in Merling here. After signing Madieu Williams and Bernard Berrian, the team lessened two of its most pressing needs. Now the focus turns to defensive end and Merling, possibly the most complete DE package, would be a great pick. If Merling is not here, then the Vikings may contemplate a trade down or maybe even up to get Derrick Harvey or him.

18. Houston Texans - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - CB/FS - Tenn. St.
---Houston has a couple nice young corners in Dunta Robinson and Fred Bennett, but with Robinson recovering from his devastating injury, there is a need for a replacement. "DRC" has tremendous upside and even after Robinson comes back, he can switch to FS, where he played very comfortably at the Senior Bowl.

19. Philadelphia Eagles - Gosder Cherilus - OT - Boston College
---Pretty confusing pick here for the Eagles. Knowing Andy Reid though, he's thinking toward the future rather than right now, and his beloved Tackle's are aging and becoming increasingly injury-prone. Cherilus could be an option as depth at LT if Tra Thomas were to get hurt again, but his value really lies at RT where in a couple years he'd take over for Jon Runyan. Cherilus is the type of big, high-intesity, high-character OT the Eagles love. May not be the best value, but is polished enough that it's hard to call this one a reach.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Devin Thomas - WR - Michigan State
---The Bucs have a couple needs on the offensive and defensive lines, but their most glaring hole is a WR to stretch the field. After an impressive Combine, it's not much of a reach to throw the 6'2 216 Thomas (runs a 4.40) here. Thomas would eventually replace Joey Galloway as the team's #1 target and is one of the only receivers in this draft with star potential.

21. Washington Redskins - Calais Campbell - DE - Miami
---Personally, I think this is a bit early for Campbell. However, the Redskins have a large hole at DE and were reportedly very interested in Campbell at his Pro Day last week. So as I said, may be a small reach, but the mixture of size, upside, and the fact that it fills a need should more than catch Snyder's eye.

22. Dallas Cowboys (f/CLE) - Aqib Talib - CB - Kansas
---Surprising move here as Dallas lets DeSean Jackson and Jonathan Stewart slip even further into the First Round. However, CB is a need in Dallas and Talib is a good value here at #22. Talib has good ball skills and a good break on the ball. He is a playmaker on the defensive end who has come up with 13 Int's in the past three years. Should be a fine fit in Dallas.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers - James Hardy - WR - Indiana
---A rather surprising move here as the Steelers go with Hardy over Branden Albert or Jeff Otah, who would each fill a more pressing need. Hardy, though, would add another dimension to a good offense and give Ben Roethlisberger another toy to play with. The 6'5+ 215 Hardy would complement Santonio Holmes, a smaller, quicker WR, perfectly. Maybe not the pick Steelers fans are looking for, but Hardy could become a star for the Black and Gold.

24. Tennessee Titans - Kentwan Balmer - DT - North Carolina
---With the top WR's and DE's gone here the pick is inside at DT, where Balmer would join the dominant Albert Haynesworth and replace Randy Starks. The Titans need the help on the D-Line after losing Starks, Antwan Odom, and Travis LaBoy. Balmer is another big, athletic body inside and is a fine value at 24th Overall.

25. Seattle Seahawks - Jonathan Stewart - RB -Oregon
---A dream scenario in which the Seahawks stay put and still land local product, prize RB, Jonathan Stewart. Stewart, at 5'10 235, is very athletic and nearly impossible to bring down in the open field. The Seahawks have that glaring hole at RB now that Shaun Alexander's future with the team, and maybe in the NFL, is in jeapordy. Branden Albert should also draw plenty of consideration here.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars - Quentin Groves - DE - Auburn
---After losing Bobby McCray, one of their top pass-rushers, and Marcus Stroud, one part of the two-headed monster that made up one of the most feared DT combos in the league, the Jags seemed to be destined for a DE or DT in the First Round. Groves provides the best value here and seems like the athletic pass-rusher cut in the Jacksonville mold. I also gave some thought to Dre Moore here, but stuck with Groves, a potential Top 20 value on certain boards.

27. San Diego Chargers - Kenny Phillips - S - Miami
---The Chargers don't have many holes, so they'll likely go with the best player available. Lucky for them, the best player available here fills one of their only needs. Kenny Phillips doesn't have a lot of momentum as far as draft stock is concerned, but still has enough raw talent to be selected in the first round. The physical Safety should find a home next to second year player Eric Weddle and All-Pro Antonio Cromartie, to form one of the better young secondaries in the NFL.

28. Dallas Cowboys - Chris Johnson - RB - East Carolina
---Here is your surprise of the late first round and maybe of the entire first round. Chris Johnson may not be a full-time back at the next level, but he has the speed to contribute as a 3rd Down Back and Returner. Chris Johnson brings the big play ability with his 4.24 speed, and Marion Barber brings the power (28 Td's the past two years.) Johnson's speed will catch Jerry Jones' eye and have Wade Phillips thinking of creative ways to use him in the running/receieving/return game.

29. San Francisco 49ers (f/IND) - DeSean Jackson - WR/PR - California
---At #29 the Niners have to feel blessed that local product, big play WR DeSean Jackson is there waiting for them. Jackson primary value comes as a Punt Returner, but he also has potential at receiver. He may be small, but he brings the home run potential that Darrell Jackson and Isaac Bruce don't. Even though the team drafted Jason Hill a year ago, DeSean Jackson plays at whole different speed and is a threat to score whenever he touches the ball.

30. Green Bay Packers - Reggie Smith - CB/S - Oklahoma
---Not sure the Packers keep this pick. Not exactly sure why they would. The team has no glaring holes and will likely be drafting for the future. With Al Harris and Charles Woodson both getting up there age wise, Cornerback or Offensive Tackle seem to be the two most logical directions to go here. I go with Smith because he's a versatile DB who can play FS or CB, providing insurance at both positions.

31. New York Giants - Patrick Lee - CB - Auburn
---The Giants are in the market for a physical, man corner if they can't acquire DeAngelo Hall. Patrick Lee, at 6'0 200, has the ideal size and speed (4.42) you look for and elite upside. He may not be polished, but he is constantly improving and could contribute right away in some way. Makes more sense than a LB here. A WR, like Andre Caldwell or Mario Manningham, who could stretch the field is also possible.

----------SECOND ROUND----------

32. Miami Dolphins - Jeff Otah - OT - Pittsburgh
---They pass on Long in Round One and it pays off in a big way with the enormous, athletic mountain of a man that is Jeff Otah.

33. St. Louis Rams - Malcolm Kelly - WR - Oklahoma
---Another good value. A big receiver that can stretch the field to replace Isaac Bruce in the Rams offense.

34. Oakland Raiders - Branden Albert - OG/OT - Virginia
---In the first round the Raiders take their franchise runner, in the second they take Albert who will pave the way from either an OG or OT spot. Will help solve the Raiders Offensive Line woes.

35. Kansas City Chiefs - Carl Nicks - OT - Nebraska
---Now because of a run on Tackles the Chiefs must get theirs before they're gone. Nicks is an enormous prospect who fits at either LT or RT.

36. New York Jets - Jason Jones - DE - Eastern Michigan
---The Jets have to reach to get their guy here. Jones is one of the few remaining prospects that may be able to play the 3-4 DE spot. Will have to put on up to 20 pounds, but is a fit having played some DT in college.

37. Atlanta Falcons - Chad Henne - QB - Michigan
---The Falcons miss out on Ryan in the first round but get a good one with Henne here in the 2nd. Henne is capable of starting right away and Jake Long will give him some much needed protection.

38. Baltimore Ravens - Joe Flacco - QB - Delaware
---I'm not a big Flacco guy. Jim Harbaugh, though, is a QB coach by nature and could help him channel that size and arm strength, turning him into a solid starter and tapping his upside years down the road.

39. San Francisco 49ers - Cliff Avril - OLB - Purdue
---Avril's stock is rising even as we speak. Though some may see this as a small reach, Cliff Avril is a very capable 3-4 OLB prospect and should prove to be a very good pass-rusher for San Francisco.

40. New Orleans Saints - Dan Connor - OLB - Penn State
---Another case for the Saints where they stay still and are able to fill a need with the best player available. Connor provides excellent value her and would start immediately.

41. Buffalo Bills - Tavares Gooden - OLB - Miami
---Kawika Mitchell is a solid option, but Tavares Gooden's potential is too much to look past here. Gooden will be the Bills' WLB of the future and will find a way to see the field early.

42. Denver Broncos - DaJuan Morgan - S - NC State
---The Broncos go with the talented Morgan here to shore up a weak Safety position. They once again pass up OL needs to fill a hole on the defensive end.

43. Carolina Panthers - Brian Brohm - QB - Louisville
---No one expected him to last this long, but since he's here the Panthers jump on him. The polished, accurate QB is cut in the Panther QB mold. he may not throw the deep ball exceptionally well, but he makes few mistakes. Would provide competition in camp immediately.

44. Chicago Bears - Felix Jones - RB - Arkansas
---Another team, like the Broncos, ignoring OL needs to go after a luxury player. With Cedric Benson on the block, the Bears must look toward a running back and the speedy Jones looks like a solid change of pace back for Adrian Peterson and eventually a starter in Chicago.

45. Detroit Lions - Antoine Cason - CB - Arizona
---Detroit gets a little lucky here as Cason lasts this long. Cornerback has been a need for Detroit since even before Dre Bly left and Antoine Cason is a very capable, solid corner prospect.

46. Cincinnati Bengals - Phillip Wheeler - OLB - Georgia Tech
---Mike Zimmer is a fan of bigger, athletic LB's and Wheeler is just that. Wheeler was a leader for that Yellow Jackets defense and would hopefully bring much needed leadership to the Bengals at OLB.

47. Minnesota Vikings - Martellus Bennett - TE - Texas A&M
---A big, athletic, pass-catching tight end similar to L.J. Smith, who Brad Childress developed while with the Eagles. Bennett has excellent upside and may come out as the steal of the draft.

48. Atlanta Falcons - Fred Davis - TE - USC
---Defensive help is needed, but instead the young QB Chad Henne continues to be helped. He had his old LT from college, now he gets a best friend in Fred Davis an athletic pass-catching Tight End.

49. Philadelphia Eagles - Lawrence Jackson - DE - USC
---Once again, Andy Reid plays his game. Offensive and Defensive Line are his two primary concerns as he chooses to ignore needs at WR, TE, and in the Defensive Backfield. Jackson, though, is a steal here. A complete end that could very well go at the end of the first.

50. Arizona Cardinals - Ray Rice - RB - Rutgers
---After taking Jenkins over Stewart in Round One, the Cards choose to improve their ever-struggling ground game with a smaller, quicker back in Rutgers' Ray Rice. Could easily be a steal.

51. Washington Redskins - Charles Godfrey - CB - Iowa
---A physical man corner prospect with tremendous tools. Godfrey has the size, speed, and physical play to take over for Shawn Springs in time and immediately help the Skins at CB.

52. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Sam Baker - OT/OG - USC
---Baker was likely in the back of the Bucs' heads at 20th Overall. Baker could fit on the left side of the line as either an Offensive Tackle or Offensive Guard. A good value here.

53. Pittsburgh Steelers - Chilo Rachal - OG/OT - USC
---In the 1st the Steelers took a chance, in the 2nd it pays off as they land the talentaed Chilo Rachal. Rachal was blessed with great size and athleticism and could go a long way to shore up that porous Pittsburgh line.

54. Tennessee Titans - Mario Manningham - WR - Michigan
---There you have it, the fall of Manningham has finally stopped with him teaming up with Vince Young in Tennessee. Manningham fills a large hole here and should get the chance to start immediately.

55. Seattle Seahawks - Jermichael Finley - TE - Texas
---The Seahawks use this round to fill a need, at TE. Finley, though he had a disappointing Combine, is the type of athletic receiving Tight End the Seahawks love and has major upside.

56. Green Bay Packers (f/CLE) - Dustin Keller - TE/WR - Purdue
---Not really a need pick, but a luxury pick for the Packers here. Donald Lee is solid, but after getting rid of Bubba Franks, the Pack has no depth at TE. Keller gives them not only depth, but an ultra-athletic receiving threat from the slot. The pick comes partly because of a run on TE's in the bottom half of the 2nd Round.

57. Miami Dolphins (f/SD) - Andre Caldwell - WR - Florida
---The Dolphins continue to clean up today. Caldwell is an excellent value this late in the 2nd and will tempt some teams at the end of the 1st. But beware of the Florida WR curse...

58. Jacksonville Jaguars - Pat Sims - DT - Auburn
---The Jags disregard his character issues and take the large-bodied, talented Pat Sims here to join his college teammate Quentin Groves on the Jags new D-Line.

59. Indianapolis Colts - Geno Hayes - OLB - Florida State
---The Colts are known for reaching for LB's, DL, and DB's. This year is no different, the Colts like the smaller, athletic Geno Hayes and take the chance early. A picture perfect fit.

60. Green Bay Packers - Dre Moore - DT - Maryland
---In an effort to replace Corey Williams, the Packers take Moore, the Best Player Available, to bolster their interior line rotation. Moore has big time potential. A pass rushing DE is possible, along the lines of Jeremy Thompson.

61. Dallas Cowboys - Jerod Mayo - ILB - Tennessee
---Another team that stays perfectly still and gets a talented player. Mayo, an ILB, will give the 3-4 system a try in Dallas. He's big, athletic, and instinctive enough to be fine.

62. New England Patriots - Curtis Lofton - ILB - Oklahoma
---Once again, the CB goes on the back burner as the Pats fill a different need at Inside Linebacker. Lofton is a good fit in New England, a high-character player with good instincts and leadership qualities. He'll fit right in their LB core.

63. New York Giants - Erin Henderson - OLB - Maryland
---Gerris Wilkinson and Matthias Kiwanuka are thought to be capable replacements for Kawika Mitchell/Reggie Torbor, but a little insurance wouldn't hurt. The Giants are rather thin at LB. Henderson is a steal this late and could end up with a starting job at weakside linebacker by year's end.

Crazy_Chris
03-03-2008, 07:40 PM
I absolutly love those picks for the Vikings.

ThePudge
03-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I absolutly love those picks for the Vikings.

Thank you. Wasn't 100% on Bennett, but even with Berrian, the Vikings still need a big target over the middle and Martellus seems to be the best fit among TE's for Brad Childress' offense. I wasn't exactly doing it so people would love their picks, more for a realistic feel, or about as realistic as I can without trades. Some fans should be disappointed, but that's just the draft.

Thunder&Lightning
03-03-2008, 07:43 PM
best sd pick possible.

proshoota25
03-03-2008, 07:52 PM
excellent patriots draft.... i like mendenhall but i really dont think they will pick him, but id love it if they did haha

neko4
03-03-2008, 07:53 PM
i love dre moore, but i just dont think we need him

Yung Flippa
03-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Okay Ravens draft. Okay Houston pick

regoob2
03-03-2008, 08:03 PM
So what would we do with Sweed and Jones when we're getting sacked every play?

G-Men88
03-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Dajuan Morgan in the 1st and its amazing for the Giants

hugegmenfan
03-03-2008, 08:10 PM
for the giants- amazing 2nd round pick, not so sure about the first. pat lee is big reach in my opinion @ 31 overall. id personally rather have cason or even dajuan morgan but its a decent pick- just a reach.

but erin henderson in the 2nd is amazing

OregonDucks
03-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Keller shohld be the first TE taken. Not freddy. I say this because of the production on Kellers part, not a terrible decision on your part. Mock looks great otherwise.

GB12
03-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Why the hell does everyone keep giving us DTs? STOP!

Anyway, I'd rather have Patrick Lee in the first. I'd take Connor over Smith too. Solid pick with Kellar.

KCJ58
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
A++ Rams Draft great job

OregonDucks
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
EDIT: Not fred davis, but martellus bennet.

princefielder28
03-03-2008, 08:24 PM
I would much prefer Connor in round one for Green Bay and Tracy Porter instead of Moore

DJC
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Great Bucs and Saints picks. I prefer Devin over Desean, who a lot of mocks are giving us right now.

Sniper
03-03-2008, 08:37 PM
We already have a young RT in Winston Justice. Don't use the "LOLZ 6 sacks against Osi" line. He's a RT, not a LT, where he was forced to play. And passing on Kenny Phillips for a crappy OL is insane.

I can live with L. Jackson though

BaLLiN
03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
like giants picks, except for lee is too high there.

Cashmoney
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
I see more people are going with my Kentwan Balmer to the Titans pick that I called about 6-8 weeks ago. Sweeeeeeeet.

Jay
03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Meh, I like Lofton in the second, but I'd think the Pats would take Glen Dorsey there. I don't hate Mendenhall there, but like everyone going with the corners, I just don't like the value...

ThePudge
03-03-2008, 09:40 PM
We already have a young RT in Winston Justice. Don't use the "LOLZ 6 sacks against Osi" line. He's a RT, not a LT, where he was forced to play. And passing on Kenny Phillips for a crappy OL is insane.

I can live with L. Jackson though

I live in Philly, so I know a good bit about the Eagles. Justice was drafted to play LT and I believe that's where he'll eventually be played. So the guy had one game, his first time with extensive playing time, against one of the league's premier pass-rushers that he can't be too proud of... that's fine, rocky starts are expected with young tackles thrown into the fire like that. Justice's calling card remains his athleticism and how well he moves for his size. He needs to rework his feet a bit and learn to use his arms, that huge wingspan, a bit more. He still has plenty of potential on the left side. One bad game doesn't define a player.

Cherilus, however, is a true, mauling RT type, an Andy Reid type. He has the ideal mentality. I have him at about the same level on my board as Kenny Phillips. I don't see the Eagles going Safety in the 1st. If they do, I think a versatile guy, like say Reggie Smith or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie would be the call. I wouldn't rule out a trade up for Chris Williams, so that they could move Justice to RT, but they'd likely have to get up to about 11 or so to guarantee themselves a shot at Williams or Clady. The Eagles don't typically go with WR in the 1st, not since Freddie Mitchell, but if Limas Sweed is there at 19 I wouldn't doubt it.

ThePudge
03-03-2008, 10:34 PM
I would much prefer Connor in round one for Green Bay and Tracy Porter instead of Moore

To be quite honest, the Packers picks drive me crazy. They're a team that should be going BPA, focusing on injecting youth into the CB core and the OT core. They should also bolster the depth they have at LB, TE and at DE. When all is said and done, I don't think you have any hole that needs to be filled right now.

I don't see Connor as able to play SLB. I could buy him on the weakside, where Hawk is, or the middle, where Barnett is, but I don't see Connor as the ideal strong-side linebacker. Maybe Cliff Avril there would be the better fit as a SLB.

I went Dre Moore simply because he was the best player available, I considered Moore, a physical marvel, at as high as 26. They have enough DT's that he wouldn't start his rookie year, but he could be a part of the rotation immediately. Heath Benedict also crossed my mind there and would have made a bit more sense to you.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Packers packaged away some of their picks to add some for next year.

ThePudge
03-03-2008, 10:37 PM
like giants picks, except for lee is too high there.

Eh, I disagree. I personally see Patrick Lee in the Late 1st-Mid 2nd Round range. Between 30-45 is where I think he has value. That being said, it's fairly high for Lee, but not much of a reach in the big scheme of things. I think the fit is there and yes, I do think he brings a bit more value than DaJuan Morgan at that point.

ThePudge
03-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Meh, I like Lofton in the second, but I'd think the Pats would take Glen Dorsey there. I don't hate Mendenhall there, but like everyone going with the corners, I just don't like the value...

I assume the Patriots will trade out of that 7th spot if Gholston is gone. They may stay put and go Mendenhall or Clady, but I think it's more likely they find a trade partner in the early-mid teens. I don't see a 3-4 defense helping Dorsey much, with the skill-set he has. They'll be interesting to watch on draft day.

ThePudge
03-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Keller shohld be the first TE taken. Not freddy. I say this because of the production on Kellers part, not a terrible decision on your part. Mock looks great otherwise.

Only problem with Keller really is his size, 6'2 242. This limits his upside, especially as a blocker because his arms aren't particularly long. Martellus Bennett at 6'6 259 is bigger, longer and is more of a threat in the redzone. Keller is a very good player, but I think his ceiling may be a bit lower than a guy like Martellus Bennett, Fred Davis, or Jermichael Finley.

Sniper
03-03-2008, 10:45 PM
I live in Philly, so I know a good bit about the Eagles. Justice was drafted to play LT and I believe that's where he'll eventually be played.

Why the **** would he play LT when he played RT his entire collegiate career?

DiG
03-03-2008, 10:53 PM
unless calais proves differently at his pro day i dont think he will go off the boards that early. i would have to think the redskins would take a penetrating threat like balmer over calais at this point. that could change if calais shows that he has some kind of movitavation and work ethic but right now hes hurt his stock.

BeerBaron
03-03-2008, 11:01 PM
awful bears pick in sweed. theres no sense in taking a WR when theres no oline to keep the QB on his feet long enough to heave ho the ball.

and a RB? unless hes the next incarnation of walter payton, hes not running without some blockers.

with one of our first 2 picks, we have to have to HAVE TO address RT. it is by a wide margin the biggest hole that needs to be filled. and with chris williams available in the first round, theres no way we pass. he brings future LT potential and immediate versatility to the line

Cashmoney
03-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Why the **** would he play LT when he played RT his entire collegiate career?

Im not sure about this, but I thought he played RT because that was Leinart's blind side.

Goatboy1717
03-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Move Patrick Lee up a pick and swap Erin Henderson in at our second 2nd round pick(WE DONT NEED DEFENSIVE TACKLES!!!) and I would love that draft. Love the Dustin Keller pick though.

Sniper
03-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Im not sure about this, but I thought he played RT because that was Leinart's blind side.

You're right, but he's not a LT. He's played RT, keep him at RT.

thebow305
03-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Matt Ryan and Andre Caldwell would make me cry I think. Tears of sadness. That is a nightmare scenario for me. Good thing I know Parcells is not that stupid. Just give us Chris Long there, Ryan will not be our pick.

ThePudge
03-04-2008, 12:42 AM
You're right, but he's not a LT. He's played RT, keep him at RT.

He played RT in college, it was the equivalent of LT for pass-blocking purposes. Justice is better, right now, in pass-protection. This is why the Eagles played him last year at LT, they drafted him in the 2nd Round in 2006 to be their Left Tackle of the future. Agree or disagree with them. Don't try to make me feel like an asshole because I know Justice has played the left side and has been groomed to play the left side since the Eagles drafted him. If he moves to RT, that's fine, he's a bit weak in run blocking, but strength you can teach. For now though, it still looks as though he's a prospect on the left side.

Joeyjr09
03-04-2008, 08:32 AM
I can't completely discount Matt Ryan but Chris Long seems to be the far and away front runner.

No way on God's earth does Parcells pass on Kelly if for some insane reason he drops to us at 32.

Billingsley26
03-04-2008, 08:33 AM
How will Tavres Gooden be the future WLB of the Bills? Kawika Mitchell was signed for 5 or 6 years I believe. Mitchell, Posluszny and Crowell are one of the best young LB cores in teh NFL. I dont see any LB being taken by Buffalo in the first 4 rounds.

T-RICH49
03-04-2008, 08:38 AM
with Long off the board I'd love for KC's draft to play out that way

Brothgar
03-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Great Lions picks two thumbs up.

Your first round for the Cowboys couldn't be better.

I'm not too sure about Mayo in the 2nd though just because they are already stacked at ILB with Bradie James, Bobby Carpenter, Akin Adell, and now Zach Thomas. I think they are set. If I were to make a suggestion I'd say some sort of space eater DT but that's just me.

I also live in Philly, although it is not a good pick it is a very realistic pick for Andy Reid who always goes after those OLinemen.

Sniper
03-04-2008, 09:20 AM
He played RT in college, it was the equivalent of LT for pass-blocking purposes. Justice is better, right now, in pass-protection. This is why the Eagles played him last year at LT, they drafted him in the 2nd Round in 2006 to be their Left Tackle of the future. Agree or disagree with them. Don't try to make me feel like an asshole because I know Justice has played the left side and has been groomed to play the left side since the Eagles drafted him. If he moves to RT, that's fine, he's a bit weak in run blocking, but strength you can teach. For now though, it still looks as though he's a prospect on the left side.

I'm not trying to make you feel like an asshole, I just don't see the purpose of Justice playing LT when he could be a dominant RT. And Cherilus just isn't good.

Dam8610
03-04-2008, 09:59 AM
---The Colts are known for reaching for LB's, DL, and DB's. This year is no different, the Colts like the smaller, athletic Geno Hayes and take the chance early. A picture perfect fit.

Pick is meh, reasoning is huh? I like the guy you have one pick lower for the Colts.

The Legend
03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
8. Baltimore Ravens - Leodis McKelvin - CB - Troy

30. Green Bay Packers - Reggie Smith - CB/S - Oklahoma

38. Baltimore Ravens - Joe Flacco - QB - Delaware

56. Green Bay Packers (f/CLE) - Dustin Keller - TE/WR - Purdue

60. Green Bay Packers - Dre Moore - DT - Maryland

Great Ravens Mock
Packers not so much
i really like Reggie Smith

but our TE & DT are not big needs

the reason we traded Corey Williams is cause we are deep
thou i woundtnt mind Moore dont see it happening thou
packers dont have to goto TE untill 3rd-4th atleast same with DT

Geo
03-04-2008, 01:07 PM
When was the last time the Colts reached for a linebacker, as you say they do? When was the last time the Colts took a linebacker this high?

I think if you answer those questions, you'll have the constructive criticism you seek.

ThePudge
03-04-2008, 03:26 PM
When was the last time the Colts reached for a linebacker, as you say they do? When was the last time the Colts took a linebacker this high?

I think if you answer those questions, you'll have the constructive criticism you seek.

Not necessarily take this high, but Freddy Keiaho in the 3rd in 2006 (94th Overall) was seen as a reach as he was widely seen as a 5th-6th Round prospect. Also Clint Session was a bit of a reach in the 4th a year ago, though that was the late 4th and Session's stock was rising. Still he was seen as a 5th-6th Round guy.

That all being said, what's your outlook on the pick? It would help to know a Colts' fan's perspective.

Geo
03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
I doubt it's a linebacker there, especially Hayes with his character issues. I definitely doubt it's a guard, there are some absolutely terrible picks wrt that recently.

I see right tackle as being more likely than right guard, the team could part ways with Diem if he doesn't bounce back this year.

I wouldn't rule out tight end, especially if the Bengals or Jets sign Ben Utecht away. The Colts have taken a #2 tight end that early before, they might do it again because both guys behind Clark (who is more of a hybrid WR) are signed through 08 if they aren't poached as RFAs. It wouldn't surprise me, maybe if Martin Rucker is on the board, although they would have to be confident they could coach up his blocking.

Wide receiver ... I'm not sure, with Harrison healing up and the young talent they've built up, but the Colts are dedicated to giving Manning weapons while they have him. Maybe if the right guy falls.

Runningback ... it sounds too early from what the Colts are saying, but if the best talent is there ...

My guess would probably be defensive lineman, either a pass-rusher at DE or DT, or a bigger DE who can spell Mathis on rushing downs but maybe also slide in at tackle.

I know it's a hard pick, I didn't mean to come down on you when you went the extra effort in going two rounds (nice job, btw). I can't say for sure who the Colts will go there, myself.

vidae
03-04-2008, 04:09 PM
With the top 4 playing out like they did, I think you did an excellent job with the Chiefs draft.

Ellis will help solidfy our run defense, which was bad, and any tackle/guard in the second round would be perfectly fine with me. There are a few players I'd rather see us take in place of Nicks, but he will be a good addition to our line.

WMD
03-05-2008, 08:05 AM
I'd definitely love to take Chris Williams and Antoine Cason.. but I'd probably rather have Mayo in Round 2 instead of Cason.

03-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Wow I really like this Raiders draft. Branden Albert in the second is just awesome!

Jimmy
03-05-2008, 08:11 AM
another person who didnt take the time to research the broncos linebacking corps.... Ian Gold already has a replacement at WLB. DJ is moving back to WLB, and Niko Koutouvides is playing MLB

TimD
03-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Good first rounder, but I don't know who the 2nd rounder is. I think we should go corner or wr over a DL who fits our system but isn't 2nd round talent.

ancoin
03-05-2008, 10:05 AM
I disagree with the 2. Vikings pick. :D

Childress have stated that Shiancoe needs another year in the system before he should be judged. I think we are at least going to give him that. We also have 4 TD on the roster so not really a need. (Shiancoe, Kleinsasser, Mills & Dugan)

I would rather have us picking:
Sam Baker: McKinnie might protect Vicks blindside for the assault earlier this month.
Pat Sims: Pat Williams is getting old and we need his replacer. With Sims we would not even have to change his nick :P Phat Pat

the decider13
03-05-2008, 10:12 AM
as jimmy said...broncos just picked up niko and are close to a deal with boss bailey

so I really dont think a LB is the right choice. With all the signings this offseason being defense, I think the broncos are gonna go offense, prolly OL or reciever.

essential
03-05-2008, 11:51 AM
How will Tavres Gooden be the future WLB of the Bills? Kawika Mitchell was signed for 5 or 6 years I believe. Mitchell, Posluszny and Crowell are one of the best young LB cores in teh NFL. I dont see any LB being taken by Buffalo in the first 4 rounds.

While I really want Cason, I would be happy to come out of the first two rounds with Flowers and Gooden. I'd like to trade down before taking Flowers, #11 is a bit high, but overall i'd be alright.

As for taking a LB, Kawika Mitchell was signed, but Crowell is in the last year of his deal, and he wasn't drafted by this regime, he is a Donahoe player. I could easily see the Bills drafting a LBer in the first three rounds this year as a backup, if Crowell wants to break the bank, then I easily see them letting him walk, shifting Michtell to SLB, where he has experience, and starting Gooden or Highsmith next year at WLB.

I am hoping to come out of the first three rounds with either Highsmith or Gooden.

scar988
03-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Atlanta would get Brohm or Flacco well before they woudl get Henne. They would also get a DT before reaching on a TE. Mularkey doesn't really use a TE so we only need a blocking guy and have that in Hartsock and Milner.

Number 10
03-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Lee is attractive but it would be incredibly difficult to pass up on Jeff Otah at 31...Giants may need a new guard soon and I would love to put Diehl back there and have Otah protect Eli's blind side.

Henderson in the 2nd would be amazing but I doubt he falls that far.

Bills2083
03-05-2008, 02:14 PM
We did not sign Bryant Johnson
Kawika Mitchell is our WLB of the future, not Gooden.

PackerLegend
03-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Why would the Packers trade Corey Williams for a 2nd round pick and then draft an unproven DT in the 2nd round? We are still deep at DT and dont need one in round 2.

ThePudge
03-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Why would the Packers trade Corey Williams for a 2nd round pick and then draft an unproven DT in the 2nd round? We are still deep at DT and dont need one in round 2.

As I've said multiple times, for the Packers I simply went BPA. It happens that I felt Moore was the best player there. It could, of course, be a guy like Tracy Porter or an OT for the future. Jeremy Thompson also was heavily considered.

ThePudge
03-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Atlanta would get Brohm or Flacco well before they woudl get Henne. They would also get a DT before reaching on a TE. Mularkey doesn't really use a TE so we only need a blocking guy and have that in Hartsock and Milner.

And please enlighten me please. Why would they have Brohm or Flacco rated that much higher above Henne. Sure, they could wait a few years until Flacco does or does not develop into a starting QB. With Henne, the value is there anywhere in the Second Round in my opinion. Henne is a gutsy player with poise, experience, a strong arm and a good attitude. Don't try to pull the undersized thing I've heard a few times, at 6'2 7/8 230, he's the exact same size as Brohm; But unlike Brian Brohm, Henne has the arm strength to air out the deep ball to deep threats Roddy White and Laurent Robinson. This is from an Ohio State fan.

Also, I would have agreed with you if you said that Tight End isn't a big need for Atlanta and left it at that. However, Fred Davis, arguably the draft's top Tight End is no reach at #48. I could agree that Defensive Tackle, Cornerback (if Hall leaves), or even anywhere on the Offensive Line would be a bigger need, especially after the pickup of Hartstock.

ThePudge
03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
We did not sign Bryant Johnson
Kawika Mitchell is our WLB of the future, not Gooden.

Eh, I've never been a Mitchell fan. I'm sorry, I don't think he's the answer. However, the Bills may very well think he is. That's why I could see the disagreement there. Also, I'm a big fan of Tavares Gooden's upside, I think he's vastly underrated and could be Miami's next great LB. Eh, some pass rush on the edges would be nice in Buffalo though. If the team doesn't sign Ben Troupe, TE makes sense.

Also, I saw a report, oddly, that Johnson was signed. Turns out it was false, I learned that a couple days back, it was a bit too late to fix it. Had I known that, I would have likely given the Bills a big, physical receiver in the second. They have enough speed at the position but could really thrive with a guy like Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly, or even Adarius Bowman later on in the 3rd or 4th.

ThePudge
03-05-2008, 08:36 PM
another person who didnt take the time to research the broncos linebacking corps.... Ian Gold already has a replacement at WLB. DJ is moving back to WLB, and Niko Koutouvides is playing MLB

I'm sorry... it seems I made this Mock Draft March 2nd, the Broncos signed Koutouvides the 3rd. It would appear I couldn't predict the Broncos FA moves. Though even if I had known they had signed Niko it likely wouldn't have changed the pick. I say this because he has a combined 49 Tackles the past three seasons. I would have thought it was a depth move. I like that they're moving DJ back to the weakside though, that's something they had to do. I still wouldn't be surprised though to see a LB in the first couple rounds for Denver, considering they tend to wait for their O-Line picks and drafted 3 D-Linemen in the first four rounds last year.

I did a bit of research, just focused on a bit too early.

gdamac
03-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Raiders won't take OL with one of their top two picks. If the first 33 picks went like that, I think Al would offer something to St. Louis to swap picks and grab Kelly, he is an Al avis kind of player. I don't see Kelly dropping that far anyway.

scar988
03-05-2008, 09:42 PM
And please enlighten me please. Why would they have Brohm or Flacco rated that much higher above Henne. Sure, they could wait a few years until Flacco does or does not develop into a starting QB. With Henne, the value is there anywhere in the Second Round in my opinion. Henne is a gutsy player with poise, experience, a strong arm and a good attitude. Don't try to pull the undersized thing I've heard a few times, at 6'2 7/8 230, he's the exact same size as Brohm; But unlike Brian Brohm, Henne has the arm strength to air out the deep ball to deep threats Roddy White and Laurent Robinson. This is from an Ohio State fan.

Also, I would have agreed with you if you said that Tight End isn't a big need for Atlanta and left it at that. However, Fred Davis, arguably the draft's top Tight End is no reach at #48. I could agree that Defensive Tackle, Cornerback (if Hall leaves), or even anywhere on the Offensive Line would be a bigger need, especially after the pickup of Hartstock.Davis is very overrated in my opinion. Also Brohm is a much much better overall leader and player and Flacco has much better physical tools than what Henne has. Atlanta will not take Henne over those 2.

Paul
03-05-2008, 09:49 PM
I can guarantee you now, the Cowboys will not take a ILB in the first day. We've just signed Zach Thomas, we still have Bradie James and Akin, fan favorite Kevin Burnett and Bobby Carpenter who sees little time as is. It would be a waste of a pick.

ThePudge
03-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Davis is very overrated in my opinion. Also Brohm is a much much better overall leader and player and Flacco has much better physical tools than what Henne has. Atlanta will not take Henne over those 2.

I respect the opinion, but I can't really agree. Chad Henne is a four year starter at one, if not THE, most prestigious football school's in the country. He was a durable starter and missed only four starts or so since freshman year. His TD-Int ratio is also impressive at 87-37 through thos four years. He never had a losing season either, always putting the Wolverines in the Big 10 race. Brohm may be the more accurate passer, but I wouldn't say he's the better leader or overall player.

fenikz
03-05-2008, 11:21 PM
not sure if i responded to this yet, but greats Cards draft, filled both our biggest needs and got great value doing it

the decider13
03-06-2008, 02:16 AM
I respect the opinion, but I can't really agree. Chad Henne is a four year starter at one, if not THE, most prestigious football school's in the country. He was a durable starter and missed only four starts or so since freshman year. His TD-Int ratio is also impressive at 87-37 through thos four years. He never had a losing season either, always putting the Wolverines in the Big 10 race. Brohm may be the more accurate passer, but I wouldn't say he's the better leader or overall player.

Brian Griese was a starter for the wolverines too...played pretty good. I think Michigan was pretty good at the time.

I wouldnt judge a player based on the college he went to, especially because Henne has been surrounded with talent at Michigan. If anything, I might think less if him because of that.

Or maybe that is just the bronco fan in me disliking Griese, idk.

Dam8610
03-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I'd like either of the picks sandwiched around the Colts pick better than the one you gave them. DL is a need for the Colts, LB not so much other than depth, but LB depth, like OG depth, can be had later on.

JagHombre22
03-06-2008, 03:32 PM
this is one of the best mocks I've seen for the Jags...although I don't know how well Groves will play the DE spot in the NFL, he might be a better LB...

I love the Sims pick in the second...

iloxygenil
03-06-2008, 04:45 PM
This is ideal for Atlanta...I don't know if I like Henne or Flacco better but I love that...Davis I don't think fits our plans. I'm very high on him, but our offensive coordinator likes blocking TEs and would be a waste of a pick there with him we could really help us Dre Moore instead.

boyfalcon
03-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Davis is very overrated in my opinion. Also Brohm is a much much better overall leader and player and Flacco has much better physical tools than what Henne has. Atlanta will not take Henne over those 2.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

ThePudge
03-06-2008, 09:04 PM
This is ideal for Atlanta...I don't know if I like Henne or Flacco better but I love that...Davis I don't think fits our plans. I'm very high on him, but our offensive coordinator likes blocking TEs and would be a waste of a pick there with him we could really help us Dre Moore instead.

Agreed about the TE part, the sign of Hartstock illustrated that and I neglected it, sticking in my head that they cut Crumpler. With that being said DT and help at the DB positions would be ideal. What's the LB situation looking life seeing as Williams left and it's not guranteed Keith Brooking will be a Falcon next year?

Go Blue
03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
The Ravens hired Jon Harbaugh not Jim.

FG4prez
03-11-2008, 02:18 PM
cant believe that desean jackson fell but if the niners get him i would be pumped

ThePudge
03-11-2008, 02:21 PM
cant believe that desean jackson fell but if the niners get him i would be pumped

I see it as a very real possibility and I think the Niners would be very lucky to have him, he'd help them in a lot of ways.