PDA

View Full Version : My 1 Rounder with comments

Cashmoney
03-03-2008, 11:38 PM
So I finally did one with some commentary. It was gonna be a two rounder but I shall save that for another day. As always keep it holy. If you got beef with one of my picks give me good reason. If the player doesn't fit your scheme tell me why. If I made a factual mistake or something of that nature lemme know. Enjoy!

1st Round
1) Miami Dolphins- Chris Long, DE, Virginia
I contemplated giving the Dolphins Matt Ryan here, but Chris Long still makes too much sense right now. In a draft that has very little talent actually worth a top ten pick, Chris Long might be the safest pick in the entire draft and his versatility and background is exactly what Bill Parcells and the Dolphins are looking for.

2) St. Louis Rams- Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
This was a pretty tough choice right here. I could’ve gone with Jake Long, or maybe even Sedrick Ellis, however, I feel like Glenn Dorsey is still slightly ahead of Sedrick Ellis, and the signing of Jacob Bell might help the Rams to delay drafting an O-lineman until later in the draft.

3) Atlanta Falcons- Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
I know that there is a lot of disagreement out there on whether or not Ryan is worth a top ten pick or not, or even if he’s the number one QB in this class, but I believe that the Falcons are in full rebuilding mode and they are going to do whatever they can to move on from the Mike Vick era. Matt Ryan and Michael Turner will give the franchise new faces, and players to build the team around for the future.

4) Oakland Raiders- Darren McFadden, HB, Arkansas
I’m not totally sure that the Raiders will take McFadden here but he gets the edge for now. Al Davis loves the big names, and the rare speed, and he certainly won’t be scared away by any “character” issues that McFadden might have. While the Raiders do need to surround Jamarcus Russell with offensive help, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they pulled the trigger on Sedrick Ellis here.

5) Kansas City Chiefs- Jake Long, OT, Michigan
The Chiefs are ecstatic to see the beast of a tackle fall to them at 5. Not only might he be the best player in the draft, Long also fills a major need and will perhaps make Brodie Croyle a better QB. Sedrick Ellis might also get some consideration here.

6) New York Jets- Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio St.
Calvin Pace is an OK signing, but he hasn’t been very productive for most of his career. Vernon Gholston has a ton of upside and can help the Jets get to Tom Brady without having to send too many extra guys, which in turn will help make last year’s number one pick Darrelle Revis better.

7) New England Patriots (f. S.F.)- Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
With Randy Moss locked up for three more years, the Patriots turn to filling some of their holes on defense. So far this offseason the Patriots secondary has been decimated by players leaving in free agency. While I don’t expect the patriots to be picking here come draft day, if they do make this pick McKelvin makes the most sense. Another player to keep an eye on would be Keith Rivers of USC.

8) Baltimore Ravens- Mike Jenkins, CB, USF
Matt Ryan is long gone, and Brian Brohm is a reach at this point. Ryan Clady could also be an option but they probably want to give Jared Gaither his chance to win the job. Rolle and McAlister are getting up there in age, and Rolle’s level of play has dropped significantly which is also leaving the safeties with more to worry about then they should have to. Mike Jenkins is a solid pick that will help make the secondary solid once again.

9) Cincinnati Bengals- Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
With the signing of Antwan Odom and the potential trade for Dewayne Robertson, the Bengals look like they are actually trying to upgrade their defense for once. However, the trade with the Jets for Robertson doesn’t fix all of the Bengals run problems. Pairing Ellis with Robertson would form a monster Duo in the middle of the Bengals defense that would free up their LB corps to make more plays.

10) New Orleans Saints- Keith Rivers, LB, USC
There is no doubt about it that the Saints have an explosive, playoff worthy offense. However, their defense leaves a lot to be desired. So far the Saints have tried to upgrade their defense this offseason by acquiring Jonathan Vilma, and Randall ***. Pairing Rivers with Vilma would help the Saints defense to pull a complete 180 and help the Saints make another run at the Super Bowl.

11) Buffalo Bills- Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
With the LB upgrades in free agency plus the fact that Keith Rivers is already gone, the Bills decide to upgrade another position of great need by nabbing Sweed. The big question about Sweed is his timed speed, but by going to the Bills he doesn’t have to be speedy playing opposite of Lee Evans. Sweed should also help to bring Trent Edwards along faster as well by becoming his go-to possession WR.

12) Denver Broncos- Dan Connor, LB, PSU
What once was a position of strength now seems to have become a weakness for the Broncos. Dan Connor (a guy who is a bit of a polarizing prospect in the fact that some people see him going as high as the top half of the first round, while others can see him falling into the second round) can come in and immediately make the LB’s a position of strength for the Broncos once again. Kentwan Balmer, Ryan Clady and Kenny Phillips could all get some looks here as well.

13) Carolina Panthers- Kenny Phillips, S, Miami
The Panthers dominating defense that helped them get to a Super Bowl a few years ago is a shell of it’s former self. The defensive line gets no pass rush, and the secondary gets picked on as well. With the losses of Kris Jenkins and Al Wallace the Panthers could go and probably should go with a defensive lineman here, but I believe they will pick Kenny Phillips. Phillips is a solid, albeit unspectacular safety who is the best safety in this class by far. He should be a solid performer in this league for over a decade. Kentwan Balmer and Derrick Harvey will also get long considerations here.

14) Chicago Bears- Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.
The Bears defense has always been the aspect of the team that has held it back from winning a Super Bowl. While the defense suffered a small decline this year, the Bears should still put most of their efforts into fixing the offense. Since the Bears seem keen on giving Rex Grossman another year and Cedric Benson is still early in his career, the Bears will look to upgrade the offense by improving the offensive line. Most people will say that this is too low for Clady, but the Bears will end his slide if he falls this far.

15) Detroit Lions- Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
After trading for Leigh Bodden the Lions can hold off on drafting a corner, and fix their next most pressing need. After performing well at the senior bowl and the combine, Chris Williams moved ahead of Jeff Otah in my books. Chris Williams can come in and take over for George Foster at right tackle and eventually replace Jeff Backus at left tackle.

16) Arizona Cardinals- Rashard Mendenhall, HB, Illinois
Even though Edgerrin James recovered to have a pretty good year last year, he is still getting older and losing some of his steam. Mendenhall will help take some of the load off of James to not only make him more effective, but he will also help give Leinart a steady run game to take some of the pressure off of him as well. This might be the steal of the draft so far.

17) Minnesota Vikings- Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
The Vikings were abysmal in pass defense last year, not because their corners were bad, but because the Vikings had very little pass rush. They’ve invested a lot of high draft picks in DE’s but none of them have really panned out so far. Enter Derrick Harvey. Not only should he compete for a starting job right away, but he could also have an Elvis Dumervil affect on the Vikings pass rush.

18) Houston Texans- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, TSU
The Texans have some pretty big holes to fill, but their isn’t a safety worth taking here and the depth of this tackle class will allow the Texans to wait until later to grab a LT. DRC is a very worthy pick at this point and will help to fill a hole opposite of either Fred Bennett or Dunta Robinson.

19) Philadelphia Eagles- Desean Jackson, WR, Cal
Donovan McNabb wanted playmakers so he’ll get playmakers. The Eagles really struggled with their return game last year but with Jackson they won’t have to worry about it. He’s a threat to take it to the house every time. He can also come in and play in the slot until he develops into a starting WR. Jeff Otah could also get some consideration here.

20) Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan St.
This team has quite a few needs but WR seems to be at the forefront right now. Michael Clayton (the player not the movie, haha) had an excellent rookie year but has fallen off the map since then. Devin Thomas’ rare combination of size and speed will be one that teams will be clamoring for come draft day. He’ll also eventually become the number one go-to guy after Joey Galloway retires.

21) Washington Redskins- Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
Washington is another team that seems to have quite a few holes to fill but DE seems to be the biggest. Merling is a solid pick at this point. Not only can he be a solid pass rusher, but he is also a good run stopper as well. If the Redskins don’t go with a DE here, they’ll look to take Malcolm Kelly or maybe Aqib Talib here instead.

22) Dallas Cowboys (f. CLV) - Jonathan Stewart, HB, Oregon
The cowboys cannot believe their luck at this point. They get a true workhorse HB to split carries with Marion Barber and they don’t have to sell the farm to get McFadden. In the end I think waiting for a HB will be better for the cowboys as opposed to giving away way too much to trade up. This pick might make the Cowboys the most dangerous offense in the league. Stewart can also return kicks if need be as well.

23) Pittsburgh Steelers- Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh
The Steelers select the local college boy who can come in and compete for the RT job right away. Many consider Otah a project but his upside is just too great to pass up at this point. If Otah pans out this will end up being a major steal and the Steelers will have a franchise tackle to protect Big Ben for the rest of his career.

24) Tennessee Titans- Branden Albert, OG, Virginia
With Jacob Bell leaving via free agency and Benji Olsen almost a lock to retire, OG becomes one of the Titans top three needs. Albert could come in and fill one of the opening guard spots immediately and also be an upgrade over Bell in the run game. Malcolm Kelly and a few defensive linemen will get looks here, but in the end Albert will win out since this is a pretty weak OG class.

25) Seattle Seahawks- Sam Baker, OL, USC
The Seahawks needs seem to be on the offensive side of the ball for the most part. They could draft a replacement for Shaun Alexander, but I think the Seahawks will try to squeeze one more year out of him and go offensive line in the first round instead. Sam Baker might be a reach at this point but he is fairly versatile and has a ton of experience. He can play guard if need be or RT and perhaps help open better running lanes for Sam Baker.

26) Jacksonville Jaguars- Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
The Jaguars seem to have “fixed” their need at WR by acquiring Troy Williamson and Jerry Porter so the need of defensive linemen can come to the forefront. Calais Campbell has enormous boom or bust potential. Many thought he was a top ten pick in this years draft before he started his junior year. His inconsistencies have hurt his stock, but if he lives up to his potential he and John Henderson will make a scary duo.

27) San Diego Chargers- Reggie Smith, CB/S, Oklahoma
The chargers have very few immediate needs but their secondary is one of them. They’ve invested many draft picks (Eric Weddle, Antonio Cromartie, and Paul Oliver) trying to build up their secondary, but they add one more because of his versatility. If he doesn’t earn a starting job it’s no big deal to the Chargers who could use him as a nickel back if need be.

28) Dallas Cowboys- Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma
With Terry Glenn not exactly a lock for a roster spot and Terrell Owens getting up there in age the Cowboys decide to invest an early pick on a receiver to eventually take over one of the starting spots. The Cowboys could also look at a defensive back here as well.

29) San Francisco 49ers (f. IND) - Quentin Groves, OLB, Auburn
The 49ers grab themselves another ‘tweener prospect to go with Manny Lawson and Patrick Willis to form one of the best young LB corps in the entire league. The 49ers could also look to take an offensive or defensive lineman here as well.

30) Green Bay Packers- Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
Charles Woodson and Al Harris make a formidable duo at corner back in the Packers secondary but they are both getting up there in age. Aqib Talib can come in and learn from them and improve his technique for a year or two before he has to come in and contribute as a starter. He could also be used offensively or on special teams in a gimmicky kind of way if the Packers want to get creative.

31) New York Giants- Patrick Lee, CB, Auburn
This was a toss-up between Patrick Lee and DaJuan Morgan. Both would fill a need and probably be able to contribute right away but I gave the edge to Lee at least for now.

Vikes99ej
03-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Grade A pick for the Vikings, especially with all of the DEs sticking their noses up at us in FA.

Cashmoney
03-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Grade A pick for the Vikings, especially with all of the DEs sticking their noses up at us in FA.

Ha, well judging by your sig, I shouldve known for a fact youd like the pic.

Vikes99ej
03-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Ha, well judging by your sig, I shouldve known for a fact youd like the pic.

You're a smart man :)

Sniper
03-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Oh gee DeSean Jackson to the Eagles...how original. I mean, he's such a perfect fit for the offense. What with his great size, terrific hands and amazing productivity his junior year. Who doesn't want to draft a soft 5'9 receiver?

For the last time, DeSean Jackson will not be going to the Eagles at the #19 pick. Stop putting it in mocks. Just stop. If you're going to do it, don't. I'll personally rock a DeSean Jackson sig if he goes to Philly at 19. Do not give DeSean Jackson to the Eagles. Rather, give them someone who is actually decent, preferably a safety or DL/OL. Thank you very much for your time.

Have a great day,
The Founder of the Stop Giving DeSean Jackson to the Eagles Club

Cashmoney
03-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Oh gee DeSean Jackson to the Eagles...how original. I mean, he's such a perfect fit for the offense. What with his great size, terrific hands and amazing productivity his junior year. Who doesn't want to draft a soft 5'9 receiver?

For the last time, DeSean Jackson will not be going to the Eagles at the #19 pick. Stop putting it in mocks. Just stop. If you're going to do it, don't. I'll personally rock a DeSean Jackson sig if he goes to Philly at 19. Do not give DeSean Jackson to the Eagles. Rather, give them someone who is actually decent, preferably a safety or DL/OL. Thank you very much for your time.

Have a great day,
The Founder of the Stop Giving DeSean Jackson to the Eagles Club

Im not 100% in love with your tone right now...

Sniper
03-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Im not 100% in love with your tone right now...

I'm sorry CMD. It's not you, it's me. I just hate this DJ to Philly ********. It started about 10 months ago and hasn't stopped. I just took out all my frustration on you.

Cashmoney
03-04-2008, 12:00 AM
I know how you feel. Ive lived with Sweed to the Titans for the whole year and it's pretty annoying. But hey, Im a fair man. Ill consider a change before I put up my two rounder.

A Perfect Score
03-04-2008, 12:09 AM
you think you guys have it bad, ive had to watch my ravens take brian brohm in mock draft after mock draft...AT NUMBER 8!!!! WTF!!!!

however, that said, CMD, great ravens pick, i love it. Hes a perfect fit for our defence and i woul much prefer him over say, brian brohm?

Sniper
03-04-2008, 12:11 AM
you think you guys have it bad, ive had to watch my ravens take brian brohm in mock draft after mock draft...AT NUMBER 8!!!! WTF!!!!

however, that said, CMD, great ravens pick, i love it. Hes a perfect fit for our defence and i woul much prefer him over say, brian brohm?

Brohm's nasty. #1 QB in the draft IMO. Better him than that useless **** Matt Ryan.

A Perfect Score
03-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Brohm's nasty. #1 QB in the draft IMO. Better him than that useless **** Matt Ryan.

dont get me wrong, i despise matt ryan too, but i wouldnt touch brohm with a ten foot pole until at LEAST #15. but thats just my opinion. 8 is way too high for him, would much rather have CB or BPA, as we have been known to do in years past.

Cashmoney
03-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah if I was a team looking for a QB I'd take Brohm personally, but this draft doesn't necessarily reflect my own personal opinions on rankings and shizzle of that nature. Just my predictions.

thebow305
03-04-2008, 12:24 AM
GREAT Phins pick!!

gdamac
03-04-2008, 12:33 AM
I hope the Raiders trade down or take Clady or Long in that scenario. Normally I would think your pick is right, but letting Simms walks make me think they are going to do the right thing.

roidrunner
03-04-2008, 12:39 AM
i can live the packers pick

vidae
03-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Good Chiefs pick.

Cashmoney
03-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Good Chiefs pick.

Yea I had a pretty good feeling that I knew which fans would like which picks, and which fans would hate certain picks. I knew the chiefs would appreciate Long.

d34ng3l021
03-04-2008, 01:25 AM
I am warming up to the Matt Ryan, but he is now number 2 on my big board. Behind Jake Long.

So...I would rather have Long than Ryan. Turner + Norwood + Blalock + Long = Amazing left side.

KCJ58
03-04-2008, 01:25 AM
No Glenn Dorsey :(

if Chris Long is gone we take Vernon Gholston

Cashmoney
03-04-2008, 01:29 AM
Keep it coming fellas.

d34ng3l021
03-04-2008, 01:42 AM
Oh, and make spaces between each pick + description. Its really hard to read right now.

Yatta!
03-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Woohoo Talib=amazing pick!

BaLLiN
03-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Picking either Lee or Morgan for the giants in the first would be bad value unless we trade down, both are mid second round picks.

Thunder&Lightning
03-04-2008, 06:49 AM
sweet chargers pick!

eaglesalltheway
03-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Good pick by position for the Eagles, but a poor player. Yes the Eagles do need help at WR, and yes, they do need help in the return game, but there are other WRs that they would pick over Jackson. The Eagles struggled most in the Red Zone, and need a good, tall, physical, west-coast style WR, and Malcolm Kelly or even Devin Thomas (though I'm not a nig proponent of his) would be better options at WR. You are laos right with Otah being an option in this situation.

Sniper
03-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Yeah if I was a team looking for a QB I'd take Brohm personally, but this draft doesn't necessarily reflect my own personal opinions on rankings and shizzle of that nature. Just my predictions.

Yeah I know the success rate on QBs in round 2 isn't very good in Draft History, but if I have a top 10 pick, I'd much rather have something like, in the Ravens case, a top corner and a Chad Henne/Joe Flacco/Brian Brohm/Andre Woodson later on. The difference between those QBs and Ryan isn't much. Actually, I'd take all of those QBs before Matt Ryan.

T-RICH49
03-04-2008, 08:42 AM
PERFECT Chiefs pick.I can only pray Long falls to 5

regoob2
03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm crossing my fingers that Clady falls to us.

The Legend
03-04-2008, 09:33 AM
please puts spaces between each team its hard to read

dont like the ravens pick LM or DRC would be better CB's
Packers im cool with

Cashmoney
03-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Picking either Lee or Morgan for the giants in the first would be bad value unless we trade down, both are mid second round picks.

Well im not going to do trades for a awhile, and I feel as though the secondary is the giants biggest need right now so you'll have to live with it until I do trades closer to the draft.

Bills2083
03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Good pick for Buffalo

Cashmoney
03-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Oh and I fixed the spaces, I have no idea why it originally came out like that because I did put spaces in it originally. Oh well, its fixed now.

BeerBaron
03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
yeah, cladys nice but his thin legs and more finesse style just doesnt translate well to what the bears normally go for.

id prefer chris williams even to clady. while hes not that much more of a mauler, hes more versatile and can start his career at either tackle spot or even guard if need be.

Cashmoney
03-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Hump de Bump

Cashmoney
03-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Give it some love people.

WMD
03-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Chris Williams to the Lions. I like it.

Jimmy
03-05-2008, 08:07 AM
I wish you had done your research on denver... oh well... we're moving DJ backoutside to WLB, and we just signed Niko Koutouvides to play inside LB.

the decider13
03-05-2008, 10:19 AM
geez jimmy, you beat me everywhere by a step with broncos lol

anyways as he said, niko got signed, DJ moving to natural position, and close to signing with boss bailey.

So please no more kieth rivers or dan connor, as much as I may like them.

Cashmoney
03-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Really? Niko Koutouvides? He doesn't seem like much more than a special teams/backup type player to me. And I made this mock a few days before you guys signed Bailey so "reasearch" wouldn't have mattered.

stephenson86
03-05-2008, 05:45 PM
nursing a semiiiiiiiii with that titans pick, +rep when it lets me, not that i wouldnt be giving it to you anyway lol

Diehard
03-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Really? Niko Koutouvides? He doesn't seem like much more than a special teams/backup type player to me. And I made this mock a few days before you guys signed Bailey so "reasearch" wouldn't have mattered.

I don't think the acquisition of FA LB's would prevent us from going LB in the draft if the value is there. Both Niko and Boss (if he signs) are low-risk gambles to see if we can get a viable starter for cheap. We still need to pursue other options (e.g. the draft), as counting on those two to revitalize our LB corps would be very unwise.

Cashmoney
03-05-2008, 06:04 PM
I don't think the acquisition of FA LB's would prevent us from going LB in the draft if the value is there. Both Niko and Boss (if he signs) are low-risk gambles to see if we can get a viable starter for cheap. We still need to pursue other options (e.g. the draft), as counting on those two to revitalize our LB corps would be very unwise.

That's kinda how I felt about that situation.

Thanks Stephenson. I had a feeling if you saw this you'd be happy. :)

MaSHoe?
03-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I'd love to see the Bucs grab Malcolm Kelly over Devin Thomas. But Thomas is still a good pick, I just like Kelly a little more.

Cashmoney
03-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I'd love to see the Bucs grab Malcolm Kelly over Devin Thomas. But Thomas is still a good pick, I just like Kelly a little more.

Nice sig...

Cashmoney
03-05-2008, 11:42 PM
One more bump....