PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre is going to retire today

drowe
03-04-2008, 08:27 AM
yeah, it's not on the internets yet...but, it's made the rounds in Green Bay Land.

I'm not one to post crap I heard without a link...but, I'm pretty sure on this one.

JPLUFF
03-04-2008, 08:35 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7870944/Favre-has-decided-to-call-it-a-career

It's online now

Billingsley26
03-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Kudos to Favre.

Turtlepower
03-04-2008, 08:41 AM
The Aaron Rodgers era begins..... NOW!!!!! =D

falconsrule
03-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Yeah right he will be back!

The Legend
03-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Rodgers its time to prove yourself
Favre thanks for everything ill miss you

also intrestin that Favre retires when Moss Signs

T-RICH49
It's gonna be weird not seeing #4 out there next year

Xonraider
finally...

throwback54milkman
i won't believe he's actually gone until i see Aaron Rodgers take the first snap of the season....you think this had to do with Moss?

Yatta!
Gonna miss Favre big time, what a player. But I was really expecting him to come back.

art vandelay
03-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Really surprised that he's hanging up this year when the team could be even better than it was last year.

Caddy
I really wouldn't want to be Aaron Rodgers at the moment. The shoes he has to fill in Green Bay is going to put an amazing amount of pressure on him. Good luck to him and congrats to Favre on one of the best careers in NFL history.

drowe
i won't believe he's actually gone until i see Aaron Rodgers take the first snap of the season....you think this had to do with Moss?

good question...it's possible. but i doubt it. he's smart enough to know that we have a good young group of WRs and putting that much money into Moss would be foolish. I won't believe this 100% until I see Aaron Rodgers take the first snap.

but, really, i think i'm just in denial.

Thunder&Lightning
03-04-2008, 08:48 AM
heres another link http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

but ya NFL loses one of there class acts and poster boys. It will deff. be weird not seeing his rocket arm or having the crazy brett favre highlights and even the humorous quotes he has...Easily top 5 greatest Quarterbacks ever to play. First Ballot HOF. Good luck brett its been great.

Thunder&Lightning
03-04-2008, 08:49 AM
good question...it's possible. but i doubt it. he's smart enough to know that we have a good young group of WRs and putting that much money into Moss would be foolish. I won't believe this 100% until I see Aaron Rodgers take the first snap.

but, really, i think i'm just in denial.

i seriously think it had to do with moss. Everyone knew he wanted moss on his team. And he decides to retire the day after moss signs with the pats hmm...

Young Legend
Aaron Rodgers is the happiest man alive.

kwilk103
so, whats john madden gonna do?

B-Dawk
03-04-2008, 08:51 AM
how many years does rodgers have left on his contract?

The Legend
03-04-2008, 08:51 AM
any new on when will the intreview will be?

just wondering, what you guys think if Rodgers goes down in preseason
you think Favre could maybe come back?

how many years does rodgers have left on his contract?

hes a free agent 2010 season

drowe
03-04-2008, 08:54 AM

hopefully kill himself. but, he'll probably just eat 4 whole turkeys as a tribute, then rub one off to SB XXXI highlights, cry a little and find a new favorite.

bigmac076
03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I'll believe it when I see the press conference.

Crvena Ptica
03-04-2008, 08:55 AM

Well, there's one man who's playing QB for the Cowboys. :rolleyes:

Thunder&Lightning
03-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Do guys think Aaron Rodgers is really the answer now?

NY+Giants=NYG
03-04-2008, 08:58 AM
So their website was right after all...

The Legend
03-04-2008, 08:59 AM

to early to say, ill give him 24 games to prove himself

aNYtitan
03-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Just an incredible career, a top 10 QB of all time, good for him he left on his own terms and left the team in good hands for Aaron Rodgers. Good luck to him, one of my favorite players of all time

bsaza2358
03-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Favre was one of my first NFL heroes. He was a great player and was an even better role model by admitting that he had an issue with pain killers and publicly getting help. He had balls the size of bowling balls, and I can't remember how many times I saw him put a team on his back. A great NFL legend. Maybe not top 5 all time, but he's in the discussion. It will be really weird without his iconic personality in the NFL.

Jughead10
03-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Kind of wish he career ended on a better note rather than that pass to Corey Webster. Obviously I loved it as a fan, but Favre really deserves better than that as his last on the field moment.

Crvena Ptica
03-04-2008, 09:08 AM

We'll see about it. Packers fans would hope for the SF scenario(Montana-Young)

America
Brett Favre is my favorite QB ever. This sucks, but at least he went out on a good season.

kwilk103
Kind of wish he career ended on a better note rather than that pass to Corey Webster. Obviously I loved it as a fan, but Favre really deserves better than that as his last on the field moment.

well, thats who he was

a gunslinger who would make mistakes like that

The Legend
03-04-2008, 09:09 AM

thats why i got great respect for you bro
but he went out the way he came in with a pick lol

thou you cant judge someone on a play

Sveen
03-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Aaron Rodgers contract details (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3118).

drowe
03-04-2008, 09:11 AM
yeah, i don't even know where to start with my memories. i've been a Packer fan since 1989, so just long enough to experience losing before Favre came in and turned it around. i've really been a fan for his entire time in Green Bay.

I've always been dreading the day he announced his retirement, but now that it's here, I'm kinda at peace with it. Maybe it's just because it's March and I'm excited about the NCAA tourney and the beginning of Brewer season and the draft...so, the 2008 NFL season is pretty far down my list of interests right now.

But, really, it's hard to be sad when I know I was lucky enough to watch the greatest QB of all time play in my backyard for 17 years.

yeah. i said it.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-04-2008, 09:12 AM
thats why i got great respect for you bro
but he went out the way he came in with a pick lol

thou you cant judge someone on a play

hahaha. I didn't know he threw a pick the first time he came in.

Splat
03-04-2008, 09:14 AM
I don't think I had more fun watching any other non Chief play football the game he had after his Dad died is some thing I will never forget.

bigmac076
03-04-2008, 09:15 AM
for me when someone mentions the Packers, all I picture is Favre. And it will be like that for years.

Thunder&Lightning
03-04-2008, 09:16 AM

ya he was to good of a guy to end it like that. I wish he could have ended it better

Jughead10
03-04-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't think I had more fun watching any other non Chief play football the game he had after his Dad died is some thing I will never forget.

He played the Raiders that night?

Splat
03-04-2008, 09:18 AM

Yep in Oakland I believe?

The Legend
03-04-2008, 09:18 AM

i think he was saying the chiefs but meaning that was his team
not as the team Favre vs...

Splat
03-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Ya I meant he was my favorite non Chief player.

bigmac076
03-04-2008, 09:21 AM
ya he was to good of a guy to end it like that. I wish he could have ended it better

Whats the ideal way to end it though? Would you rather it be him kneeling 3 straight times? Him throwing the pick is nothing to be ashamed of. He went down swinging, ya know? He went down fighting. He seems like the kind to say "I aint leaving without a fight..." well, there ya go. Its not always gonna be a Super Bowl and an MVP your last season.

DiG
03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
can we get like a moment of silence or something. im still not accepting it.

lasse
03-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Wow. i mean you had to see it coming some day.
he was the reason i started being a football and green bay fan. he is my absolute football hero, a model player and human. will miss his weird ass plays.
good luck for the rest of his life. i just cross my fingers for no more movies :-D

Vince Lombardi
03-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Favre 4ever

Even though this has been coming for years, it's still extremely sad for me. I think I'm gonna go down some painkillers and cry in a beer as a tribute, and to you know, kill the pain. :(

Jay
03-04-2008, 09:32 AM
They should skip his wait and put him right in the Hall Of Fame. Sorry Packer fans, I know it is going to be an adjustment. He sure gave you a hell of a run.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Awww.....damn it Brett, I was just starting to appreciate you too. Well now I guess it's time to move on to Aaron Rodgers and his questionally waxed eyebrows.

Probably best for all, Rodgers deserves his chance and Favre really has nothing left to do in the NFL anyway.

*cheers*

Thunder&Lightning
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Whats the ideal way to end it though? Would you rather it be him kneeling 3 straight times? Him throwing the pick is nothing to be ashamed of. He went down swinging, ya know? He went down fighting. He seems like the kind to say "I aint leaving without a fight..." well, there ya go. Its not always gonna be a Super Bowl and an MVP your last season.

ya true but i would have liked to have seen him end it winning

bigbluedefense
03-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Sad to see him go. He was the Packers. I think the entire Green Bay area is in a state of mourning today. I hope for Rodgers sake he plays great, because if he doesn't, the fans will turn on him quickly.

bsaza2358
03-04-2008, 09:46 AM
I almost feel bad for Rodgers having to go into that situation. You have to replace an all time great QB in a football town on a team that had every chance to win the NFC title and go to the Super Bowl. Talk about pressure...

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 09:48 AM
On another note, this information likely would have been pretty valuable for the Packers say, a week ago. I just don't see Ingle Martin as a legit #2 behind an already unproven quarterback. Quarterback could be a round #3, maybe even a late #2 round need.

bigbluedefense
03-04-2008, 09:49 AM
I almost feel bad for Rodgers having to go into that situation. You have to replace an all time great QB in a football town on a team that had every chance to win the NFC title and go to the Super Bowl. Talk about pressure...

yup. he did play well though against the Cowboys. if he's not ready now, he'll never be ready. he is in a great situation as far as talent around him goes, so we'll see what he can do.

i honestly wasn't that big on him or smith coming out, but hopefully he'll prove me wrong, for his sake.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
That's funny, they don't even have the friggin beta site up now on Packers.com. They probably did it before just to get all of the fan suicides out of the way.

bsaza2358
03-04-2008, 09:50 AM
I think Rodgers will do fine. He just has no prayer of ever living up to the expectations of that fan base. It is unfortunate for him. I like Rodgers as an option, both in fantasy and in real life. I think he will be a good QB. Just need more time to see where he actually stands.

Vince Lombardi
03-04-2008, 09:53 AM

Yea it's never easy replacing a legend. He's had plenty of time to learn the offense and watch Brett though, so if he's gonna succeed he's been well prepared for it.

Man, besides a few terrible years with Don Majkowski almost my whole football life has included Brett. It's gonna be strange with him gone.

Splat
03-04-2008, 09:58 AM
How about #4 calling it a day on the 4th?

:)

The Legend
03-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Yea it's never easy replacing a legend. He's had plenty of time to learn the offense and watch Brett though, so if he's gonna succeed he's been well prepared for it.

Man, besides a few terrible years with Don Majkowski almost my whole football life has included Brett. It's gonna be strange with him gone.

oh thanks man lol, that means alot

but i think if the Packers win the fan will be happy
and if he shows talent fan maybe a bit easyer on him

princefielder28
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Well I figured my 19th birthday would be a very joyful one when I woke up this morning, but now it's a day to remember one of the best ever to play his position. Ever since I can remember the only QB I have ever seen start a game for my Packers is #4. Now it is Aaaron Rodgers turn. If he can do what he did against Dallas I will be very satisfied with him, but he will never be able to replace #4. God Bless Brett!

D-Rod
03-04-2008, 10:02 AM
How about #4 calling it a day on the 4th?

:)

Well, he could have waited a month, for 4/4...

EvilMonkey
03-04-2008, 10:04 AM
i cant stop crying......

Dam8610
03-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Well, he could have waited a month, for 4/4...

Or done it 4 years ago, on 4/4/04.

drowe
03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
On another note, this information likely would have been pretty valuable for the Packers say, a week ago. I just don't see Ingle Martin as a legit #2 behind an already unproven quarterback. Quarterback could be a round #3, maybe even a late #2 round need.

Ingle Martin is long gone.

and, what would they have done? broken the bank for Derek Anderson. wasn't much done in QBland in the first few days of free agency. i really don't think the Packers missed any chances...and if you mean the combine, i dunno...they already have their unproven guy...they're gonna need some veteren help too. i don't QB is a big need in the 2008 draft.

princefielder28
03-04-2008, 10:16 AM
The Packers should give a look to JDB in the draft

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I think they could have signed a guy like Josh McCown or Cleo Lemon, hell they could have traded for Brian Griese if Angelo wanted to make a deal with the Packers.

Not a big deal but it looks like they are staring at two unproven quarterbacks or maybe a guy like Daunte Culpepper, Kelly Holcomb, or maybe even Mark Brunell.

Jughead10
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Ingle Martin is long gone.

and, what would they have done? broken the bank for Derek Anderson. wasn't much done in QBland in the first few days of free agency. i really don't think the Packers missed any chances...and if you mean the combine, i dunno...they already have their unproven guy...they're gonna need some veteren help too. i don't QB is a big need in the 2008 draft.

Trent Green is still out there for a veteran backup. I know the Giants are interested in him but have some questions about his arm strength holding up in the windy Meadowlands. I'd imagine that wouldn't fare well in Green Bay either.

There really wasn't a ton of veteran guys out there. Who else is on the Green Bay roster at QB?

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 10:20 AM
The Packers should give a look to JDB in the draft
Yeah I was actually thinking that. Late 2nd might be a bit too early, but they could probably trade back like they always do to the mid 3rd.

TitleTown088
03-04-2008, 10:22 AM
http://www.foodmag.com.au/Uploads/PressReleases/food/Images-20070820/jackdaniels.jpg
**** this.

EvilMonkey
03-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Trent Green is still out there for a veteran backup. I know the Giants are interested in him but have some questions about his arm strength holding up in the windy Meadowlands. I'd imagine that wouldn't fare well in Green Bay either.

There really wasn't a ton of veteran guys out there. Who else is on the Green Bay roster at QB?

well according to our website, Craig Nall is still on the roster...

The Legend
03-04-2008, 10:31 AM
well according to our website, Craig Nall is still on the roster...

nobody actually Nail is a free agent

drowe
03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
http://www.foodmag.com.au/Uploads/PressReleases/food/Images-20070820/jackdaniels.jpg
**** this.

good call. on sunday i went on a brewery tour and bought a nice bottle of 2 year old barley wine from the brewery. i was trying to think of the right occasion to drink it...and this might be it.

bigbluedefense
03-04-2008, 10:46 AM
I wonder if them not going after Moss had anything to do with his retirement. He was pushing awfully hard for him just yesterday. Now how do you go from that, to all of a sudden retiring? Hmmmmm.

The Legend
03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I wonder if them not going after Moss had anything to do with his retirement. He was pushing awfully hard for him just yesterday. Now how do you go from that, to all of a sudden retiring? Hmmmmm.

yeap thats what i said to be honest i think it would have made him come back but the packers were not willing to

bsaza2358
03-04-2008, 10:49 AM
As was mentioned on the news sites, Favre's wife told him to come back to win another ring. Without a threat like Moss, Favre obviously felt like the team couldn't definitely win, so he couldn't deal with the grind of another season. Hard to really blame him after 17 years in the NFL...

bigbluedefense
03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
you think theres a chance he comes out of retirement like a week from now lol?

princefielder28
03-04-2008, 10:51 AM

I just thought about that....i would laugh and cry tears of joy

DiG
03-04-2008, 10:53 AM
or maybe even Mark Brunell.

he was drafted there

Paul
03-04-2008, 10:54 AM
He's always been one of my favorite non-cowboy players, and it just won't seem right with him not under center for the Pack. For me that Monday night game he had against the Raiders, after his dad passed, has to be one of the most memorable NFL moments for me. It was unbelievable. Great player, class act and just a joy to watch on the field.

As for Rodgers, it may have been only 3 quarters, but in the cowboys game he took over for Farve, he actually look decent. Him and Jennings looked as if they had a good rapport. But it was only a few quarters.

The Legend
03-04-2008, 10:54 AM

no but maybe if Rodgers goes down
boy what a story that would be

johbur
03-04-2008, 10:55 AM
I donít know. The way the web-site at www.packers.com looks set up is that he will not be back next year. The Rodgers era is going to begin, and I wonder if Brett waited until there was a good team for the new QB to play with so that his career would not be trashed like so many of the QBs that follow legends. Look at the guys who came after Aikman, Marino and Young. They had terrible times as the organizations did not have a lot of playmakers around them, the Garcia era in SF not withstanding, look at them this decade.

When Joe Montana left SF, there was still a very good team for Young to play with and he took them to the SB. Maybe Brett decided that Rodgers will have a good receiving corp, a good defense, a solid line and a decent RB, so now it is up to Rodgers to make his name and will not be playing in Brettís shadow with a team like Brett had two years ago that was terrible.

someone447
03-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Not a big deal but it looks like they are staring at two unproven quarterbacks or maybe a guy like Daunte Culpepper, Kelly Holcomb, or maybe even Mark Brunell.

Call up Doug Pederson, god knows he backed up Favre long enough.

GIVE DOUG PEDERSON A SHOT!!!!

drowe
03-04-2008, 10:59 AM

absolutely. he has talked about how close he was to retiring in previous years, only to change his mind. no saying he can't change his mind after the fact.

i'm sure everybody in the league and every non packer fan would just roll their eyes and laugh.

but, i still hope it happens.

The Legend
03-04-2008, 11:01 AM
would just roll their eyes and laugh.

Two Words Junior Seau

NYGibril28
who now becomes the best torso in football?

johbur
I think they could have signed a guy like Josh McCown or Cleo Lemon, hell they could have traded for Brian Griese if Angelo wanted to make a deal with the Packers.

You're just cruel to kick fans when they're down. Signing any of those bums is a depressing thought.

Maybe Craig Nall stays around and they draft a #3 with their compensatory R5 (which I'm still hoping for)?

It is not like the cupboard is bare. GB is in the same situation as several other playoff teams, as if Aaron Rodgers gets hurt now, the QB situation is not good. But if Brady or Manning or Romo or Rothlisberger get hurt, there is still a team that will fight on defense, and there are still good offensive players.

Geo
03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm hit by a bag of bricks by this, and I've been a critic of Favre for many years and even thought he cost them last season in some respects. It's hard to fathom Brett Favre not playing anymore ... it sucks.

I really thought he and Manning would duel this year for a second time.

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-04-2008, 11:03 AM
bye Favre.Thanks for the memories.

if he truly is retiring this will certainly seem strange this season.

drowe
03-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Call up Doug Pederson, god knows he backed up Favre long enough.

GIVE DOUG PEDERSON A SHOT!!!!

yo, F Doug Pederson. dig up the Majik Man. i'm sure the ankle he sprained in 1992 is almost fully healed. that Favre kid was really just filling in for him, he did allright, but it's time to give the job back to the true starter.

rockio42
03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
its really hard to handle this, the first football game i can ever remember was the Packers against the Bears back in like 1997...Favre was the first QB i ever saw and im glad i got to see him in person before he retired

Jughead10
03-04-2008, 11:10 AM
its really hard to handle this, the first football game i can ever remember was the Packers against the Bears back in like 1997...Favre was the first QB i ever saw and im glad i got to see him in person before he retired

Good point. I saw Farve live for the first time this season too. Saw him beat the Giants week 2. Looking back on it, I'm glad I got see him play live in his final season.

Geo
03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
I hope Favre changes his mind.

He can still play at a high level, and he's got a highly-talented team now.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
John Madden weeps...

Seriously though, the NFL is going to be different without him.

bigbluedefense
03-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Damn, now i wish i got to see him live.

Jay
03-04-2008, 11:18 AM
This would be a good spot for Trent Green to go. Mentor the kid, not worry about getting his brain rattled, step in if needed into a good situation.

703SKINS202
03-04-2008, 11:20 AM
peace favre

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
he was drafted there
http://uploads.neowin.net/forum/post-108813-1136869006.jpg

Sorry I had to.

Johnbur- I actually wasn't just talking about getting injured (though Rogers first has to prove he can stay healthy), but also, what if he just sucks? Do they stick through a whole season of having an otherwise good team if he's ineffective? I think they need a better backup plan than that, even if it's Josh McCown (though I think JDB is a good option).

Sorry, is that too much?;) Hey man...it's a cold world when you've got an unproven quarterback. Welcome to my world for my 20 years of being a Bears fan.

Jay
03-04-2008, 11:21 AM
FAVRE SITUATION SUDDENLY GETS WEIRD

As it turns out, that dark cloud in Wisconsin could quickly become a storm.

Brett Favre's agent, Bus Cook, has told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that Favre wanted to play another year, but that he felt like the Packers didn't want him.

Uh-oh.

"I know he wants to play one more year," Cook said. "I do not know much conversation there was and I don't think anyone forced him to make that decision. But I don't know that anyone tried to talk him out of it."

Uh-oh.

"I think he wanted to play," Cook said. " I think he's still got it. He knows he's still got it. I think he felt he could play one more year. I don't know if they told him they really wanted him to play. That's just the feeling I got."

Uh-oh.

Asked whether Favre could be talked into returning, Cook said, "I don't know."

Well, maybe the media speculation that the guy who brought Favre to Green Bay, former G.M. Ron Wolf, might be whispering to Bill Parcells about trying to get Favre to Miami is more accurate than we initially thought. Because if Favre wants to play another year and if it's not with the Packers, then maybe it will be elsewhere.

But if Favre doesn't play for the Packers in 2008, either because he's playing for someone else or not playing at all, we think that there could be an enormous backlash against the team. Specifically, G.M. Ted Thompson could find himself in the crosshairs of the fans' criticism.

Never mind the fact that Thompson has done an excellent job; the perception that he ran off Brett Favre could be the quickest ticket out of town for Thompson.

If, in the end, Thompson gets saddled with the brunt of the blame for Favre's departure, the pressure on Thompson to leave, too, will be tremendous. And, as a practical matter, it will put him on an incredibly short leash if the team falters in 2008.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=724366

Granted, it's Florio, but those are some interesting comments to say the least...

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 11:22 AM
This would be a good spot for Trent Green to go. Mentor the kid, not worry about getting his brain rattled, step in if needed into a good situation.
The Packers run a pure WCO, lots of slants and outs. That's not really Green's game.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 11:23 AM
**** I've been saying that Ted Thompson wanted Favre to retire since 2005. Why wouldn't he? With Favre gone he's the biggest name on that team, and can finally get credit for building a contendor.

kwilk103
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
anyone else think he retired cuz the pack didnt get moss? i mean if moss goes to gb, does favre retire?

DaBears9654
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
It's about freaking time! He needed to do this about 2 or 3 years ago!

Now, hehe, the Packers will so suck.

Jughead10
03-04-2008, 11:27 AM
How fast does Jon Kitna come out and say the Lions are now the team to beat in the NFC North? Anyone taking bets?

rockio42
03-04-2008, 11:29 AM
It's about freaking time! He needed to do this about 2 or 3 years ago!

Now, hehe, the Packers will so suck.

you are a horrible person

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 11:32 AM
you are a horrible person
I'm just suprised it took till page 5.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 11:33 AM
How fast does Jon Kitna come out and say the Lions are now the team to beat in the NFC North? Anyone taking bets?

You mean this guy?

http://startelegram.typepad.com/blogs_like_a_girl/images/2007/11/01/p1_kitna_3.jpg

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I can't believe I just now thought of this for the Packers.

http://thefeed.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/jake.jpg

I dunno if he would be willing to play 2nd string, and I don't think it's really fair to Aaron Rodgers to make him now compete with another vet for his job, but damn it makes perfect sense.

bigbluedefense
03-04-2008, 11:38 AM

I still think Roy Williams saying "we were so close to scoring 40 its scary" when they only scored 6 points trumps Kitna on the dumbass scale.

Bills2083
03-04-2008, 11:39 AM
I think he should've kept playing.
If they added a couple good players in the Draft, they would have a good chance of making it to the Superbowl.

bigbluedefense
03-04-2008, 11:41 AM
you know what....i wouldn't put him on a beach just yet. Im just saying....

portermvp84
03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm glad he's retiring, I'm getting tired of hearing One more Season. He's got nothing more to prove he's broken a good portion of all the records.

The Legend
03-04-2008, 11:47 AM

I dunno if he would be willing to play 2nd string, and I don't think it's really fair to Aaron Rodgers to make him now compete with another vet for his job, but damn it makes perfect sense.

did he say he was coming back?

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 11:48 AM
No but I miss the ******* Snake. Haha...

I think he'd come back if he thought he had a chance to play and win a Superbowl. That's the catch, the Packers would have to convince him that he can compete for the starting job without actually meaning it.

bsaza2358
03-04-2008, 11:50 AM
It wouldn't be a bad move to get him back as an insurance policy for Rodgers. It almost makes sense.

Bills2083
03-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Brett Favre left Chris Mortenson a voicemail saying that the reason he's retiring is that he's mentally worn down.
Favre apparently told Mortenson that the Packers' failure to acquire Randy Moss wasn't the driving cause behind his retirement, and that even getting to the Super Bowl and losing would have been too mentally draining. Still, Mortenson speculates that if the Packers had acquired Moss, Favre would have continued to play.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/nfl_experts/post/Mort-Favre-would-still-be-playing-if-Packers-si?urn=nfl,69938

Bills2083
03-04-2008, 12:00 PM

I cant see the picture, but based on the comments, are you talking about Jake Plummer?

Vikes99ej
03-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Farewell to the toughest football player I've ever seen.

princefielder28
03-04-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm glad he's retiring, I'm getting tired of hearing One more Season. He's got nothing more to prove he's broken a good portion of all the records.

Your name speaks voulumes and this post is pretty much classless....if I had any respect for you it is all gone

Twiddler
03-04-2008, 12:07 PM

You're right, Jesus would be the perfect 2nd string QB for us.

Seriously, I could see Plummer in that role, but I can also see Trent Green doing it or pretty much any veteran who's had even the slightest amount of starting experience. Bottom line is, we have to bring in someone now whether it be from the draft or any free agent that is left. But for the draft, I wouldn't want to spend anything higher than a 4th for it.

On Favre retiring.....it truly is a sad day and all of Wisconsin is mourning now but really oh well. The man gave his mind and body for us for 16 (I think) years so I'm glad to see him walk away relatively unharmed and still the same personality that he always has been. But it will truly be a different Packers organization and even NFL without Brett around. So long Brett, have a good one.

drowe
03-04-2008, 12:11 PM

is that Jesus? i suppose that would be the natural progression after having God at QB for all those years.

The Legend
03-04-2008, 12:13 PM
hmm dont see it happening i want it to happen but dont see it

also dont the bucc like OWN him lol maybe we can trade a 2009 6th Round

Tobzilla
03-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Yes!

Packers fans have been so damn blessed to have stability and greatness at the quarterback position for all these years. Now it's time for them to suffer just like the rest of us. I think we can all pencil in the Vikes as central division champs next year.

The Legend
03-04-2008, 12:25 PM
oh boy i so hope we prove you wrong
also i think the Bears have a better chance then the Viks

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I really don't think this affects the Packers as much as more people do, as I didn't see Favre having a repeat of 2007 anyway (just too much to ask of a player in his 17th season). That said, while I picked the Vikings to win the North as my way too early projection beforehand, this move makes me no more or less sure of that.

PackerLegend
03-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Do they Packers have the most cap room now?? We had 24 Million by Favre retiring we just got 10-12 million more so we have about 36 million.

I love how everyone jumps the gun and says where going to suck look at the Bears and what they have done. They have made it to the superbowl with there defense and no offense. Our offense is alot better and no one has really seen what Rodgers can do except for when he played in the Dallas game and out performed Favre by a ton.

JT Jag
The end-times are nigh. The planets have aligned and the first of the signs--- the immortal departing us--- has occured.

Time to build a bomb-shelter.

Twiddler
Yes!

Packers fans have been so damn blessed to have stability and greatness at the quarterback position for all these years. Now it's time for them to suffer just like the rest of us. I think we can all pencil in the Vikes as central division champs next year.

You can win the Central Division, we'll take the NFC North! ;)

But seriously, I do believe that the division is up for grabs next year (even though I think the Packers have the lead now) but I'm going to have to see Tarvaris have some more consistency (that is consistency at doing good, not sucking) in order to take you guys really serious.

Twiddler
03-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Do they Packers have the most cap room now?? We had 24 Million by Favre retiring we just got 10-12 million more so we have about 36 million.

I love how everyone jumps the gun and says where going to suck look at the Bears and what they have done. They have made it to the superbowl with there defense and no offense. Our offense is alot better and no one has really seen what Rodgers can do except for when he played in the Dallas game and out performed Favre by a ton.

Oh ****, didn't even think about the cap room we have now.

The Legend
03-04-2008, 12:29 PM

maybe we can sign somebig name next year

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Well to that end you really have no idea how good your offense will be next year.

There's the question of Rodgers of course, but there's also the question of how good Favre made everyone else around him. I actually think that's more important. In particular, teams are going to respect the run a LOT more. I think offensive line and runningback just shot up the draft board for the Packers if they weren't already there.

Geo
03-04-2008, 12:35 PM
You don't buy Ryan Grant? I really like him, he's their definite starter for this season.

btw, ESPN News is interviewing former tight end Wesley Walls who played one season with Favre. Hrmm.

Edit: Now Denny Green. Favre is who we thought he was!

PackerLegend
03-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Brett Favre left Chris Mortenson a voicemail saying that the reason he's retiring is that he's mentally worn down.

Favre apparently told Mortenson that the Packers' failure to acquire Randy Moss wasn't the driving cause behind his retirement, and that even getting to the Super Bowl and losing would have been too mentally draining. Still, Mortenson speculates that if the Packers had acquired Moss, Favre would have continued to play.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 12:39 PM
You don't buy Ryan Grant? I really like him, he's their definite starter for this season.
I know you do. And I'm sure he's their starter, but I think they are looking for a more legit 2nd back than Brandon Jackson (I've posted a bit in the Packers draft thread about previous comments the coaching staff has made on that matter).

There are very few definite starters at runningback in the NFL anymore anyway. Even Adrian Peterson needs Chester Taylor.

Geo
03-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Imo, Favre thought that Moss would get them over Dallas.

Gay Ork Wang
03-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Is there anyone who was more destined to get into the HoF?

Tobzilla
03-04-2008, 12:42 PM
You can win the Central Division, we'll take the NFC North! ;)

But seriously, I do believe that the division is up for grabs next year (even though I think the Packers have the lead now) but I'm going to have to see Tarvaris have some more consistency (that is consistency at doing good, not sucking) in order to take you guys really serious.

My bad, I think I had a flashback to 2001....the bucs are still in our division right? :)

Honestly, I think the Vikes have the best shot to win the division. Chicago still has no franchise QB and hasn't improved during free agency. The Pack overachieved last year and no packer fan can tell me with a straight face that Aaron Rodgers is their savior now that Favre is gone. That brings us to the Lions, well I just cant see them competing...they always go into the preseason with hype and never pan out.

Division rankings go something like this: 1 Vikes; 2a Lions; 2b Packers; 3 Bears.

Geo
03-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I know you do. And I'm sure he's their starter, but I think they are looking for a more legit 2nd back than Brandon Jackson (I've posted a bit in the Packers draft thread about previous comments the coaching staff has made on that matter).

There are very few definite starters at runningback in the NFL anymore anyway. Even Adrian Peterson needs Chester Taylor.
Is Morency a free agent? I don't remember. He's probably best suited as a third down back, although Jackson was showing promise in that area by season's end.

Still, I think a trio of Grant/ Jackson/ Deshawn Wynn is pretty good. Obviously a very young trio without a veteran in the group, but it will work for McCarthy.

PackerLegend
03-04-2008, 01:04 PM
My bad, I think I had a flashback to 2001....the bucs are still in our division right? :)

Honestly, I think the Vikes have the best shot to win the division. Chicago still has no franchise QB and hasn't improved during free agency. The Pack overachieved last year and no packer fan can tell me with a straight face that Aaron Rodgers is their savior now that Favre is gone. That brings us to the Lions, well I just cant see them competing...they always go into the preseason with hype and never pan out.

Division rankings go something like this: 1 Vikes; 2a Lions; 2b Packers; 3 Bears.

Hmm Id say your being a homer. Lets see here both teams are about the same with a strong D. Maybe you havent realized that T-Jax hasnt done anything so far to prove he is any good. Rodgers is still unproven. U have a better running game we have alot better WR's i dont see how you can say Minny is any better at this point.

Tobzilla
03-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Good luck with Aaron Rodgers in a pass first offense. The moment he looses confidence you guys are done.

Unlike Rodgers, Tavaris can rely on the running game and an amazing offensive line to manage the game. I'd rather have strong running game to support the playcaller than 'good receivers.'

Geo
03-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Lions, second in the division? I really don't think so, more like last in the division imo. Especially when their only good area of the team in the offense lost its key in Martz. Mendenhall will help, but he can't play offensive line ...

As for the Vikings automatically being first ... I don't see it. They can win this division, but the Packers under Rodgers can still sweep the Vikings this season by passing on them. Where is it said that Rodgers will struggle in domes, against Tampa 2 teams, like Favre did? I doubt he does, actually.

Geo
03-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Unlike Rodgers, Tavaris can rely on the running game and an amazing offensive line to manage the game. I'd rather have strong running game to support the playcaller than 'good receivers.'
... that strong running game helped them lose 23-16 at home and 34-0 at Lambeau, btw. They couldn't even crack 20 over two games.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Hahaha....I'm sorry, the Bears have no franchise quaterback but the Vikings do?

Hahahaha...that's rich. I wouldn't take Tavaris Jackson on my team for free.

Geo
03-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I knew you loved Sexy TD-Rexy. Stop fronting.

Nitschke-Hawk
03-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Hmm just some general thoughts..

I woke up about 10 Central, turned on the tube and it says he's retiring. Initially I was sad, thought maybe I'd cry but as I kept watching I took it as no different than the past years where we didn't know if he was retiring. I won't know Brett is retiring until I go up to Training Camp in August.

My message to NFL fans and Packer fans in general is I hope you take this upcoming season to latch on to another player[s] on our team. Brett always had the camera on him even with all the great players we've had. We've talked about how much young talent this team has. Ever since Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy took over I've always thought in the back of my mind we have a group of the most classy players in the NFL (and of course before that).

Brett wasn't necessarily my favorite player. I tended to be a bigger fan of other players on the team because everybody loved Brett. He's the most entertaining player I've seen though. My point is that my transition to being an NFL Fan and Packer Fan without Favre will probably be easier than most others because I've been a fan of other players on the team for a long time.

Guys like Greg Jennings, AJ Hawk, Atari Bigby, Ryan Grant, Nick Barnett are all young players you can latch onto and we already have vets like Driver, Woodson, Harris, and Kampman. All are classy individuals. I encourage you to become fans of these players.

TimD
03-04-2008, 01:39 PM
double post.

TimD
03-04-2008, 01:41 PM
The Aaron Rodgers era begins..... NOW!!!!! =D
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/76520245.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19343A7C5B91993BDB0059BBC99D37D1C06 284831B75F48EF45

He's got some sweet flow. He's destined to be great.

dc22
03-04-2008, 03:05 PM
heres the voicemail
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?&brand=null&videoId=3276483&n8pe6c=2

btw, even with the lost still think that the packers still has teh best qb in the division haha

Tobzilla
03-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Hahaha....I'm sorry, the Bears have no franchise quaterback but the Vikings do?

Hahahaha...that's rich. I wouldn't take Tavaris Jackson on my team for free.

That's funny, I don't recall saying that Tavaris is a franchise quarterback. I was simply pointing out one of the bears many faults being quaterback. I can think of more, poor oline/ running game, hobbled defense...by the way, who exactly is your #1 reciever nowadays?

My point was that it's clear that the Vikings have a better supporting cast, which will result in more wins than our division foes. In fact, I'd go as far to say that the Vikes look a lot like the Bears of 2-3 years ago, they have a killer running game, ****** qb, pretty damn good defense.

Gay Ork Wang
03-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Edit: jesus christ never meant to offend anyone

btw the Vikes D still sucks in Pass Defense

GB12
03-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah I was actually thinking that. Late 2nd might be a bit too early, but they could probably trade back like they always do to the mid 3rd.
Come on now. I know you're a hater, but that's a stupid thing to say. Should the Raiders draft a QB in the second because they don't know what they have in Russel. Rodgers is a first round pick. You don't draft his replacement before he gets a chance to prove himself. 2008 needs to be Rodgers' year. No matter how he preforms he has to get his shot for at least one season. Since he is the only QB currently on our roster I can understand thinking we should draft one, but no sooner than the 5th. Also I don't think we necessarily need a veteran QB. He's been behind Favre for 3 years already, he doesn't need any more "mentoring". Not that we won't pick someone up, but it's not a big deal that we didn't get Cleo Lemon or Brian Griese. I doubt we'd have any interest in either of those anyway.

Tobzilla
03-04-2008, 03:28 PM
btw the Vikes D still sucks in Pass Defense

Well, it's logical to conclude that our pass defense will improve with the addition of Williams at safety and a pass rusher like perhaps Derrick Harvey in the draft.

Staubach12
03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Wow, just heard about this. It's the end of a legend, and IMO he's the best QB ever at this point.

Anyway, all the talk of the division being open now isn't totally true IMO. Aaron Rogers looked very good against Dallas, he's been preparing for this for three years, and I just think he's ready.

Jughead10
03-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Tom Coughlin had some pretty good things to say about Favre:

I don't think there has been any better statesman for professional football than Brett Favre was. If you follow what he's meant to his team, if you think about how he approached this season, you can see how much his leadership meant to their team. For example, in his postgame commentary, he was humble. He was gracious in praise to his teammates. But he was also dangling in front of them, 'How good can we be?' He was always trying to find out how good he could be and bring his teammates with him while he was going about it.

What he has meant to Green Bay and that franchise and to the fans in Green Bay has been a tremendous rallying point throughout the 16 years he played there. He's brought them a Super Bowl victory, he brought them to another appearance in the Super Bowl and brought them to the NFC Championship Game this year.

He's not only been a great player. He is a guy who had some issues and he openly admitted that. He went about the business of making the necessary corrections and served as an example for young players to listen to how his particular issues came about so that they might avoid similar circumstances.

I'm not shocked by the announcement, but I am surprised. He was very productive this year. He cut down on his interceptions, and he did the things you do when you realize you have a good football team and there are other playmakers on your team. The tempo with which he played, the tempo of their passing game when they played us in the second game of the regular season, was extremely difficult to defend. And I think as their running game developed, he became even more effective in terms of their passing game. And with their receiving corps, they could strike at any time, as they had the week before the NFC Championship Game against Seattle.

Throughout the course of Favre's career, he did it all. He's been the classic gunslinger. He's lived not only by the deep ball, but the bomb. At one time the Packers were, without a doubt, the best screen team in all of football. When they had Ahman Green, they were unbelievable in the screen area.

Favre also brought personality to the game and to our league. Above all else, what Brett Favre has always been is a team guy. He always did what was in the best interest of his team, and I think that's what he's demonstrating right now. He was the classic example of the professional football player who was going to lead his team under any and all circumstances, as evidenced by the tremendous record he set in terms of the number of consecutive starts.

GB12
03-04-2008, 04:02 PM
You know what's strange. Every other year there was non stop talk of will he retire or not. This year there really wasn't much of it.

Geo
03-04-2008, 04:07 PM
It was probably assumed he'd still play after last season. At least it was for me, I thought it was a given. He can still play for two more years imo.

Tobzilla
03-04-2008, 04:08 PM
It really doesn't make sense, this time he actually should have stayed.

Twiddler
03-04-2008, 04:17 PM

I know what you mean but Peter King wrote a nice article (I know, weird huh) that helps explain the timing a little more. In the end it truly is about what Brett wants to do even if he could have gone another year and possibly had some great success. Quarterbacking the Green Bay Packers was important for him but living his life the way he wants to (and comfortably for that matter) came up. We can't forget either, the guy is a 38 year old QB, it's a rough thing to be. Anyways, here is the article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/03/04/brett-favre/index.html#?eref=T1

iowatreat54
03-04-2008, 04:18 PM

it makes a lot of sense when you listen to his voice message...not only was he mentally strained this past season, but the fact that had the Packers not improved next season and like he said at least make the Super Bowl, then all the fans and stuff would want him to keep coming back, especially if they lost the Super Bowl...and if they finished worse this season or didn't make the playoffs, fans would be upset and he wouldn't wanna end his career that way...so right now is kinda like the perfect time to stop, and kinda makes sense because he didn't wanna retire before last year because he didn't wanna end on a crappy season

TitleTown088
03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
It was probably assumed he'd still play after last season. At least it was for me, I thought it was a given. He can still play for two more years imo.

I actually was fairly sure he was going to retire since the championship game and secretly thought it to myself all along. Anyone who has watched Favre over the years could tell the fire was running low during that NFC championship game. Not to say he still didn't have motivation left in him, but there was just something missing, and I could tell.

Gasp

As much as it pains me to say it, this is the best thing for the Packers. Perfect timing. Would I Have enjoyed watching Favre play next year? Of course, I'd like to watch him play the rest of my life. However, They Put Rodgers in a position to start with "some" experience under his belt and he never sat too long on the best to become disgruntled. Mike McCarthy is as quarterback guru who will do his best whip Rodgers into starting shape. He will be put on a young team and Ted Thompson has surrounded him with plenty of talent to succeed, and Ted will likely continue to do so. I think Rodgers will put up a moderate season next year 22-25 TD , due the Packers talent at wide out. Sure he'll have some difficulties and the Packers will suffer somewhat of a setback his year.
The odd thing is the Packers MAY still have the best QB in the NFC North. After all, it's pretty sad when John Kitna is the best QB in the division.

This is the time For Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy to shine.

Nitschke-Hawk
03-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Some great things said by Tom Coughlin, that covered it all career wise. Great points made by TitleTown also.

Ness
03-04-2008, 06:20 PM

Well he's already accomplished pretty much everything. Perhaps he just decided it was time to hang them up. Maybe he wanted to focus on his life after football. In the big aspect of things, "it's just a game" as Favre has said so himself.

EdReedUnstoppable
03-04-2008, 06:23 PM
THIS SUCKS!

I'm not even a Packers fan but I already am bored with football now.

The football world is dark without Brett Favre.......

The best QB I ever saw with my own eyes, and he will be missed on sundays and mondays.

neko4
03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
im so sad, but it had to happen evantually. Im just gonna have to be grateful that i got to grow up watching him and that when things seemed their worst in '05-'06 he came back

Vince Lombardi
03-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Good luck with Aaron Rodgers in a pass first offense. The moment he looses confidence you guys are done.

Quit blatantly being a homer and try to use some common sense. :rolleyes:

If you think that they will be slinging it as much as they did with Favre then you're crazy. I guarantee you that the running game builds on last year and becomes even more of an emphasis to help out Rodgers.

Also, your backs will be facing a stacked box every week until TJ shows he can actually throw the ball.

neko4
03-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Quit blatantly being a homer and try to use some common sense. :rolleyes:

If you think that they will be slinging it as much as they did with Favre then you're crazy. I guarantee you that the running game builds on last year and becomes even more of an emphasis to help out Rodgers.

Also, your backs will be facing a stacked box every week until TJ shows he can actually throw the ball.
Yea, we'll still get the 5WR set every now and then, but Grant is gonna get more carries

regoob2
03-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Congrats on a great career Brett. This is gonna make it a lot easier for me to hate the pack, go bears.

yo123
03-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Your name speaks voulumes and this post is pretty much classless....if I had any respect for you it is all gone

Dude take it easy. Not everyone needs to worship Favre as much as you do.

In response to the NFC North argument, nothing is clear cut. Its between the Packers, Vikes, and even the Bears could make a rebound I think. Its gonna be an interesting year.

princefielder28
03-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Dude take it easy. Not everyone needs to worship Favre as much as you do.

yo, why???? I didn't address you so why make it a big deal

yo123
03-04-2008, 06:50 PM
yo, why???? I didn't address you so why make it a big deal

I'm not making a big deal. I just think you called him out a little to hard for it. No harm done.

d34ng3l021
03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Its been good watching Favre.

I cant wait to watch Rodgers.

neko4
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Its been good watching Favre.

I cant wait to watch Rodgers.
I can wait, NFLNetwork is showing Super Bowl 31
Go now and worship

LonghornsLegend
03-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Not to take anything away from NY and Eli, but I gotta admit it would of been nice to see Favre go out on top, he put in everything he had every game, never missed a start, the true ironman, it wont be the same not seeing him out there...He's been the qb since I can remember watching football, talk about some big shoes to fill...

at least Green Bay doesnt have to worry about finding a qb, Rogers learned from the best, and sitting all these years should be good for the fundamental side of the game, he has weapons around him to suceed so I dont see any reason why they shouldnt win 9 games.

LonghornsLegend
03-04-2008, 07:09 PM
I actually was fairly sure he was going to retire since the championship game and secretly thought it to myself all along. Anyone who has watched Favre over the years could tell the fire was running low during that NFC championship game. Not to say he still didn't have motivation left in him, but there was just something missing, and I could tell.

Gasp

As much as it pains me to say it, this is the best thing for the Packers. Perfect timing. Would I Have enjoyed watching Favre play next year? Of course, I'd like to watch him play the rest of my life. However, They Put Rodgers in a position to start with "some" experience under his belt and he never sat too long on the best to become disgruntled. Mike McCarthy is as quarterback guru who will do his best whip Rodgers into starting shape. He will be put on a young team and Ted Thompson has surrounded him with plenty of talent to succeed, and Ted will likely continue to do so. I think Rodgers will put up a moderate season next year 22-25 TD , due the Packers talent at wide out. Sure he'll have some difficulties and the Packers will suffer somewhat of a setback his year.
The odd thing is the Packers MAY still have the best QB in the NFC North. After all, it's pretty sad when John Kitna is the best QB in the division.

This is the time For Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy to shine.

What should make things easier for Rogers, showed in that Dallas game...Your receivers are built for YAC, so its not as if he has to force many balls downfield, he can dink and dunk and find spots and his wrs will create mismatches and put them in good positions...Jennings is the type of guy who just needs the ball in his hands to score a td, and Driver is still reliable as ever across the middle, I heard you guys were very interested in Jermichael Finley as I think another solid receiving tight end would help, but with the emergence of Grant and Rogers progression im not worried about him, id expect him to start a playoff game this 08 season.

Crazy_Chris
03-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I think some people are slightly over reacting to Aaron Rodgers in the Dallas game. You have to take his performance there with a grain of salt. It's one thing to come in off the bench and perform well in a game, but it's a whole different beast to start a game after a team prepares for you all week.

Aaron Rodgers is still a big question mark and will remain one until after a few weeks into next season( After teams get a decent amount of game film on him and can actually prepare for him).

neko4
03-04-2008, 07:45 PM
I think some people are slightly over reacting to Aaron Rodgers in the Dallas game. You have to take his performance there with a grain of salt. It's one thing to come in off the bench and perform well in a game, but it's a whole different beast to start a game after a team prepares for you all week.

Aaron Rodgers is still a big question mark and will remain one until after a few weeks into next season( After teams get a decent amount of game film on him and can actually prepare for him).
I kind of agree. I still dont know what were getting and I think the Dallas game should be taken with a grain of salt. Dallas seemed to play soft when he came in, but Rodgers looked as good as Favre in the preseason

LonghornsLegend
03-04-2008, 07:47 PM

I agree with you, but im not basing my whole opinion off of that, its alot of factors involved, but at the same time it still shows me something about a guy who can come in unexpected and is prepared to play and run the offense, its tough to do, and its not like your expecting Brett Favre to get hurt so he could of easily came in and bombed, but he didnt so it shows me a little something, I wont declare he'll be an above average qb off of that game but it was impressive none the less.

TitleTown088
03-04-2008, 08:11 PM

The same could be said for Aaron who has never prepared for that game as the starting QB.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 08:25 PM
That's funny, I don't recall saying that Tavaris is a franchise quarterback. I was simply pointing out one of the bears many faults being quaterback. I can think of more, poor oline/ running game, hobbled defense...by the way, who exactly is your #1 reciever nowadays?

My point was that it's clear that the Vikings have a better supporting cast, which will result in more wins than our division foes. In fact, I'd go as far to say that the Vikes look a lot like the Bears of 2-3 years ago, they have a killer running game, ****** qb, pretty damn good defense.
Your defense isn't nearly as good as ours was. You need two defensive ends and I'll take Tillman/Vasher over Winfield/Whoever the hell else you have. Your running game is better than what we had though.

I've already said that I think the Vikings will win the division, but you're getting pretty arrogant for having an 8-8 team that choked it's way out of the playoffs and almost lost at home to the Kyle Orton hobbled Bears. Calm down.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Come on now. I know you're a hater, but that's a stupid thing to say. Should the Raiders draft a QB in the second because they don't know what they have in Russel. Rodgers is a first round pick. You don't draft his replacement before he gets a chance to prove himself. 2008 needs to be Rodgers' year. No matter how he preforms he has to get his shot for at least one season. Since he is the only QB currently on our roster I can understand thinking we should draft one, but no sooner than the 5th. Also I don't think we necessarily need a veteran QB. He's been behind Favre for 3 years already, he doesn't need any more "mentoring". Not that we won't pick someone up, but it's not a big deal that we didn't get Cleo Lemon or Brian Griese. I doubt we'd have any interest in either of those anyway.

The Raiders have Andrew Walter I still believe. The Packers have nobody behind Rodgers. The Raiders also have a lot more needs. I'm not sure how that makes me a "hater".

And it's not stupid, plenty of people are saying the same thing. Rodgers will not be given the whole season if he's terrible (and you have no idea that he won't be). The Packers are a billion dollar organization, they aren't just going to hand the wheels over to Rodgers without an insurance policy.

neko4
03-04-2008, 08:38 PM
We have Craig Nall, a former backup of Favre's. Im not sure if we will resign him. I think we did though. I wouldnt mind signing a vet though, or drafting Josh Johnson if he is around in the 4th-5th

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Josh Johnson won't be there in the 4th or 5th.

Hey, I don't really care what the Packers do. If they want to have no security plan behind Rodgers that's a-ok with me.

TitleTown088
03-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Hey, I don't really care what the Packers do. If they want to have no security plan behind Rodgers that's a-ok with me.
Does this man look like he needs a security plan? Just look at that stash, it's ravishing.
http://bp1.blogger.com/_STytsDjRXLo/Rt3vK0L3XyI/AAAAAAAAACs/TP3sx6KLpho/s200/rodgers.jpg

neko4
03-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Does this man look like he needs a security plan? Just look at that stash, it's ravishing.
http://bp1.blogger.com/_STytsDjRXLo/Rt3vK0L3XyI/AAAAAAAAACs/TP3sx6KLpho/s200/rodgers.jpg

Aaron Rodgers, QB or pornstar?

TitleTown088
03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm sure he dabbles in a good ol' gang bang here and there.

Geo
03-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Bring Mark Brunell back to Green Bay imo. Give him the chance to succeed Favre that he never had over a decade ago.

j/k

Hawk
03-04-2008, 10:34 PM

QB/pornstar

there ya go.

Vince Lombardi
03-04-2008, 11:20 PM

Now that's a man who likes to drill it in to nice tight end!

princefielder28
03-04-2008, 11:23 PM
The Raiders have Andrew Walter I still believe. The Packers have nobody behind Rodgers. The Raiders also have a lot more needs. I'm not sure how that makes me a "hater".

And it's not stupid, plenty of people are saying the same thing. Rodgers will not be given the whole season if he's terrible (and you have no idea that he won't be). The Packers are a billion dollar organization, they aren't just going to hand the wheels over to Rodgers without an insurance policy.

It's insurance too in case he gets hurt and he has shown that he is nowhere near as durable as #4. If we lose Rodgers and are stuck with Craig Nall we'll be picking Top 10 for sure.

nobodyinparticular
03-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Now that's a man who likes to drill it in to nice tight end!

Hahaha!!!!! I nominate this post for Post of the Month. +rep

nobodyinparticular
03-04-2008, 11:26 PM
It's insurance too in case he gets hurt and he has shown that he is nowhere near as durable as #4. If we lose Rodgers and are stuck with Craig Nall we'll be picking Top 10 for sure.

Are you kidding me? Craig Nall makes Tom Brady look like Ryan Leaf!

neko4
03-04-2008, 11:28 PM
We even have a user here named CraigNall4MVP
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/member.php?u=1680

umphrey
03-04-2008, 11:28 PM

Yeah I think we need to bring someone in. I kinda thought Nall was just there because we had to pick someone up so we got Favre's hunting buddy who knew the system a little bit. I hope we bring in a vet like Leftwich. Strictly as a backup. I agree 08 is Rodgers year and I expect 09, 10, and 15 to be his too, but we don't have an adequate backup on the roster right now.

Hey just thought of this does the Pack retire #4?

neko4
03-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Lets have a Favre's backup reunion!
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/287165.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0ED63FBEA9A4FBAB754 284831B75F48EF45

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1010000/images/_1011178_d300.jpg

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/72555788.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB56596EEAAF567583 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

http://www.packers.com/pg/1998-12-20/photo14.jpeg
We just need to fish Pederson out of retirement

Gatz
03-04-2008, 11:39 PM
I just heard this today cause I slept through yesterday...
WHY BRETT WHY:( :( :(

I don't know how my life will go on now...

In all seriousness, a hell of a player and guy, he's the reason I started following football and became a packers fan. Good luck to him.

kalbears13
03-04-2008, 11:42 PM
I always thought Aaron Rodgers would retire first...

bantx
03-05-2008, 12:03 AM
i will miss brett farve

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i251/Bantx/Pictures/2219480680_b3427145d9_o.jpg

TitleTown088
03-13-2008, 04:26 PM
I miss him already. Since he has left me I have done nothing but sit around naked and eat Tang straight from the container in my own filth.

Come to think of it, I don't even believe he really retired. Just a ploy.

mqtirishfan
03-13-2008, 04:54 PM

So even though any logical person would realize that the Packers have a better defense, a better group of receivers and better Special Teams, the Vikings running game makes them the best in the division? It's not like Jackson has proven anything in the NFL yet, so I personally refuse to give either QB the advantage. (For the record, the quoted post is really just to get one of your posts about the Vikings in general, not the full post above)