PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft 2007

Pages : [1] 2

bearfan
02-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Who are some guys that you are hoping that we draft?

With the sudden 4.47 40 by Greg Olson, I now wouldnt mind him in round 1, but also, I believe we could pick up someone in rounds 3-5 at TE also.

RexGrossmans-cheesecake
02-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Who are some guys that you are hoping that we draft?

With the sudden 4.47 40 by Greg Olson, I now wouldnt mind him in round 1, but also, I believe we could pick up someone in rounds 3-5 at TE also.

I don't really want Greg Olson cause of his inability to block, and I'm perfectly fine with Clark or a later round TE.

I know this probably won't happen, but since Dwayne Jarret supposedly ran a 4.7 that would be awesome if fell to us at 31.

bearfan
02-25-2007, 07:23 PM
yeah, if Jarret or Bowe fell to us, and JA didnt take one of them, I would be mad. What about Mcheam also? Would he be worth a 31st?

blkwdw13
02-25-2007, 07:35 PM
I have been thinking of a draft like this

1-Michael Griffin SS
2-Kareem Brown DT
3-Doug Datish OG
4-Ben Patrick TE or RB if Jones is traded
5-Jacoby Jones WR
6-BPA
7-BPA

If Griffin isn't their then I think they should go OL in the first or trade down into the second and get another pick and take an OL and then with their second round pick take Wendling.

RexGrossmans-cheesecake
02-25-2007, 08:12 PM
I have been thinking of a draft like this

1-Michael Griffin SS
2-Kareem Brown DT
3-Doug Datish OG
4-Ben Patrick TE or RB if Jones is traded
5-Jacoby Jones WR
6-BPA
7-BPA

If Griffin isn't their then I think they should go OL in the first or trade down into the second and get another pick and take an OL and then with their second round pick take Wendling.

I love the Michael Griffen pick. I don't like your second round choice, why would we need another unproven DT? I don't really know much about the other prospects but those positions seem right.

Bearsfan123
02-25-2007, 09:27 PM
1. OT: Levi Brown- A Pipe dream.1st TU
Arron Sears-A versatile guy. 1st
Joe Staley-A athletic tackle.1st
Tony Ugoh-A guy with LT possibility1st, maybe 2nd
Ryan Harris- Athletic tackle-2nd-3rd
Doug Free- Local product 3rd-4th

2. OG: Justin Blalock-one of the best run blockers 1st-2nd
Ben Grubbs-Great upside, good program1st-2nd
Josh Beekman-good size 2nd
Manuel Ramirez- a hard worker whos good at the poa. 2nd-3rd
Mike Jones-good upside 3rd-4th

3. S: Michael Griffin- If he falls it will be because of #s. 1st TU
Eric Weddle- A playmaker that really is a tweener. 2nd
John Wendling- A guy who could be a steal. 2nd
Aaron Rouse- Might be a linebacker but solid skills 2nd
Michael Johnson-Not a speed demon, but neither is Mike Brown 3rd-4th

4. OLB: Pozlusny- Another guy who might fall due to #s. 1st TU
Jon Beason-Very quick lber 2nd
Earl Everett- another very athletic backer 2nd
Rufus Alexander- a backer who comes from a program we like 2nd
Justin Durant- Doesnt disengage well but a solid athlete 3rd

5. TE: Greg Olsen-A smooth athlete with good hands 1st-2nd
Zach Miller- all around solid player but cant stretch the field 2nd
Ben Patrick- a guy with good hands but not a speed threat 3rd-4th
Scott Chandler- a solid athlete that has alot of upside 3rd-4th

6. WR: Jason Hill-A guy who could compete with Bradley or might be a Bradley clone.-2nd-early 3rd
Paul Williams- a guy with great physical tools but an underachiever 3rd
Rhema McKnight- a great blocker who will be an asset in the run game 4th
Steve Smith-a good route runner with reliable hands, not the best character 4th-5th
Jacoby Jones-a guy I know nothing about 4th-5th
Jarret Hicks- a guy whos been productive but might be a product of the system 4th-6th
Laurent Robinson- a sleeper who could become special 5th

bearsfan_51
02-25-2007, 09:31 PM
DT is definately a need.

RexGrossmans-cheesecake
02-25-2007, 09:34 PM
DT is definately a need.

How? Tommie is coming back, we've got Tank and Dusty.

pellepelle_10
02-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Smokey..I hope you remember why I wanted Jason Hill. This combine only adds to why I wanted him. He was good even without his 40 time.

bearsfan_51
02-25-2007, 10:47 PM
How? Tommie is coming back, we've got Tank and Dusty.

All three of those players have question marks surrounding them.

Will Tommie come back to full strength?

Is Tank Johnson a long-term answer? (Actually no, he's not. I'll answer that question for you)

What is the status of Dusty? Currently he's a complete unknown.

Not to mention that there currently is no backup to Tommie. Unless you count Idonije as a DT.

Hurricane Ditka
02-25-2007, 11:11 PM
First Round Pick 31-Michael Griffin, Safety, Texas. A solid, hard hitting impact safety. With Mike Brown's future with the organization in doubt adding a gifted strong safety certainly sounds like a good idea. Griffin can platoon with Brown, and Manning, until Brown either gets injured or Mike Brown leaves the team.

Second Round Pick 63-Rufus Alexander, Outside Linebacker, Oklahoma. With Briggs seeking a trade, and a long term deal no where in site the Bears chose to draft his replacement. He keeps the Sooner streak alive, and can take over for Briggs if he leaves this year or next.

Third Round Pick 95-James Marten, Offensive Tackle, Boston College. Another Boston College OT, are you kidding me? Nope Marten showed he has the athleticism to possibly play Left Tackle in the pros, and if he can't we have a solid right tackle on our hands.

Fourth Rounder (Acquired in trade for Thomas Jones)-Brandon Jackson, Running Back, Nebraska. We trade Jones and pick another running back? With the prominence of the two back system Jackson can provide similar services to Thomas Jones, in spelling and rotating with Cedric Benson.

Fourth Round Pick 127-Allen Barbre ,Offensive Lineman, Missouri Southern St. Showed off some serious wheels for a fat man at the combine. He'll probably go higher than this because of it, but with a year or two in teh system to beef up he can replace Ruben Guard at left guard. His athleticism is a plus, because we run several powers and traps with the backside guard pulling.

Fifth Round Pick 159-Jacoby Jones, Wide Receiver, Lane. He Might not be here at this point, but this where his stock is at right now. He'll be able to step in and add another possession receiver to the mix, and he's still pretty fast.

Sixth Round Pick 191-Antonio Johnson, Defensive Tackle, Mississippi St. We just hired his defensive line coach for the same position. He provides depth to the rotational and can keep learning under his current coach.

Seventh Round Pick 195-Chase Pittman, Defensive End, LSU. Another name in the hat at defensive end, might be able to slide into UT in a pinch.

Seventh Round Pick 223-DeMontae Fitzgerald.

bearsfan_51
02-25-2007, 11:20 PM
I like your mock.

It's also worth noting in a recent interview Angelo stated that the team was seriously looking into movie Danieal Manning to cornerback. Obviously if this does happen I think it will be a gradual move, most likely in 2007 when either Tillman or Vasher (hopefully not both) depart.

Hurricane Ditka
02-25-2007, 11:25 PM
I like your mock.

It's also worth noting in a recent interview Angelo stated that the team was seriously looking into movie Danieal Manning to cornerback. Obviously if this does happen I think it will be a gradual move, most likely in 2007 when either Tillman or Vasher (hopefully not both) depart.

Who would play Free Safety? Harris? A draftee? I think they should just let Manning mature at free safety.

FunJokeshere
02-26-2007, 01:25 AM
I would be happy with griffin if he fell to us...I would be ecstatic if Poz fell to us ...and depending on who is available at our pick I really like jason hill

also...even though DT is somewhat of a need I think we could still draft a short term filler at DT in later rounds than 1-2...and I will throw bows if we take a TE in the 1st, even if it is the quick footed Olsen...

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 01:42 AM
First Round Pick 31-Michael Griffin, Safety, Texas. A solid, hard hitting impact safety. With Mike Brown's future with the organization in doubt adding a gifted strong safety certainly sounds like a good idea. Griffin can platoon with Brown, and Manning, until Brown either gets injured or Mike Brown leaves the team.

Second Round Pick 63-Rufus Alexander, Outside Linebacker, Oklahoma. With Briggs seeking a trade, and a long term deal no where in site the Bears chose to draft his replacement. He keeps the Sooner streak alive, and can take over for Briggs if he leaves this year or next.

Third Round Pick 95-James Marten, Offensive Tackle, Boston College. Another Boston College OT, are you kidding me? Nope Marten showed he has the athleticism to possibly play Left Tackle in the pros, and if he can't we have a solid right tackle on our hands.

Fourth Rounder (Acquired in trade for Thomas Jones)-Brandon Jackson, Running Back, Nebraska. We trade Jones and pick another running back? With the prominence of the two back system Jackson can provide similar services to Thomas Jones, in spelling and rotating with Cedric Benson.

Fourth Round Pick 127-Allen Barbre ,Offensive Lineman, Missouri Southern St. Showed off some serious wheels for a fat man at the combine. He'll probably go higher than this because of it, but with a year or two in teh system to beef up he can replace Ruben Guard at left guard. His athleticism is a plus, because we run several powers and traps with the backside guard pulling.

Fifth Round Pick 159-Jacoby Jones, Wide Receiver, Lane. He Might not be here at this point, but this where his stock is at right now. He'll be able to step in and add another possession receiver to the mix, and he's still pretty fast.

Sixth Round Pick 191-Antonio Johnson, Defensive Tackle, Mississippi St. We just hired his defensive line coach for the same position. He provides depth to the rotational and can keep learning under his current coach.

Seventh Round Pick 195-Chase Pittman, Defensive End, LSU. Another name in the hat at defensive end, might be able to slide into UT in a pinch.

I personally love the 7th Rounder.

I like the Mock. And actually, I think after the combine is over with, Rufus' stock goes up, so I could see us grabbing him in the 2nd.

iowatreat54
02-26-2007, 02:15 AM
i know this isn't about the bears...but does anyone else see my username as funjokeshere and a bunch of stuff under it...instead of iowatreat54?

it says i have 98 posts but i only had like 70 an hour ago...i think something is hacked onto/spamming my account?

Bearsfan123
02-26-2007, 08:15 AM
no everything seems okay from what I see. Wait, if i look at ur previous post it has that name and crap under it.
FunJokeshere
ModeratorOwnerAdminNFLDC GFX TeamThe VinceHead of DisciplineHead ModNFLDC Hall Of FamerThe WardenNFLDC Pick'Em Champ

But back to the Bears.

blkwdw13
02-26-2007, 09:36 AM

I like your mock also, I don't know where he is going to go but what do you guys think of Antonio Pittman as a replacment for T. Jones.

bearsfan_51
02-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Who would play Free Safety? Harris? A draftee? I think they should just let Manning mature at free safety.
Probably a draftee. I think they should trada Manning for a box of Mike and Ike's myself.

NYmoney
02-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Probably a draftee. I think they should trada Manning for a box of Mike and Ike's myself.

didn't scott have manning as his #1 sleeper last year? very disappointing post season for that young man.

dabears10
02-26-2007, 11:06 AM
I like that mock as well, but personally i would like Laurent Robinson over Jacoby Jones. Admittedly, I am biased on this subject but I think he showed at the combine that he can fill the 3rd wide out quite well after Moose hangs them up.

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 02:42 PM
I like that mock as well, but personally i would like Laurent Robinson over Jacoby Jones. Admittedly, I am biased on this subject but I think he showed at the combine that he can fill the 3rd wide out quite well after Moose hangs them up.

I love Robinson. For one because he's from ISU and two I liked what I saw yesterday at the combine. Good speed, good size, and caught everything.

I'd take him over Jones in a heartbeat.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I personally dont like that mock, if Mike Brown stays healthy then we dont get one starter to help us for this up coming years super bowl run, thats why i think greg olsen would be a better first rounder

bearsfan_51
02-26-2007, 02:55 PM
The Bears will not draft Greg Olsen. He does not fit on this team at all.

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 02:56 PM
The Bears will not draft Greg Olsen. He does not fit on this team at all.

Thank you. I've been saying that the past couple of days. We need a TE who can block and catch; and Olsen is not a good blocker.

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 02:59 PM
I personally dont like that mock, if Mike Brown stays healthy then we dont get one starter to help us for this up coming years super bowl run, thats why i think greg olsen would be a better first rounder

Um, you realize that Olsen can't block right? And in our offensive scheme we need a TE who is more than one dimensional, something that Olsen is not. I don't mean to sound like a dick but can you back up why you want Greg Olsen? Or are you just enamoured with his great combine?

That's a big if on Mike Brown, and it's likely that we might not resign him after this season. SS is a need area in this draft without a doubt.

Hurricane Ditka
02-26-2007, 03:32 PM
didn't scott have manning as his #1 sleeper last year? very disappointing post season for that young man.
Manning did as well as you would expect a small school rookie too, he needs time to develop at free safety, he showed flashes but he seemed to hit a rookie wall.

I like that mock as well, but personally i would like Laurent Robinson over Jacoby Jones. Admittedly, I am biased on this subject but I think he showed at the combine that he can fill the 3rd wide out quite well after Moose hangs them up.I have the same bisases you do, I'll be going to ISU next fall. Jones has more size than Robinson, and his speed isn't too bad.

The goal of a successful organization is too draft for depth and the future. We don't need to add starters in the draft we need to add depth.

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 03:34 PM
HD you realize that we got Gonzo in the draft right?

Hurricane Ditka
02-26-2007, 03:37 PM
I was told Rick had to Ok the trade, but he never got back to me. And then I had school all day. The thread was locked all yesterday, they screwed us over.

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 03:47 PM
I was told Rick had to Ok the trade, but he never got back to me. And then I had school all day. The thread was locked all yesterday, they screwed us over.

****! I'm pissed. We were ready to pick yesterday, and so was San Diego.

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Hurricane Ditka
02-26-2007, 03:50 PM
****! I'm pissed. We were ready to pick yesterday, and so was San Diego.

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

They should let us switch the pick to Patrick, Cleveland never got back to me with Rick's answer. This draft sucked.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Greg Olsen is good enough of a blocker, no hes not great but he will help us a lot more than a backup tackle that wont even play next year. Greg Olsen is the best pass catching tight end in the draft and that is by far are biggest need, not a biggest long term need but right now ill take him over a joe staley all day

regoob2
02-26-2007, 04:32 PM
The goal of a successful organization is too draft for depth and the future. We don't need to add starters in the draft we need to add depth.[/QUOTE]

I would rather have a day one starter and an immediate upgrade, that isnt a bad thing to me.

dabears10
02-26-2007, 04:49 PM
The goal of a successful organization is too draft for depth and the future. We don't need to add starters in the draft we need to add depth.

I would rather have a day one starter and an immediate upgrade, that isnt a bad thing to me.[/QUOTE]

Yes but see greg olsen would not be a day one starter. He doesn't fit our offense and so desmond clark would still be starting.

Hurricane Ditka
02-26-2007, 05:01 PM
I would rather have a day one starter and an immediate upgrade, that isnt a bad thing to me.

Olsen wouldn't come in and start first over Clark. He runs fast, whoop di doo, Clark's a better blocker, and has adjusted to the NFL passing game.

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Greg Olsen is good enough of a blocker, no hes not great but he will help us a lot more than a backup tackle that wont even play next year. Greg Olsen is the best pass catching tight end in the draft and that is by far are biggest need, not a biggest long term need but right now ill take him over a joe staley all day

Olsen is not a good blocker. It's pretty simple actually. He's a pass catching TE.

And OL and SS are much bigger needs than TE. Hell, OLB is a bigger need.

I'd take Staley over Olsen all day long. Good pass catching TE's come and go, but OL's with elite LT potential don't come along too often. And that's how I view Staley. He's got the tools to be a dominant LT IMO.

NYmoney
02-26-2007, 05:23 PM
I would not take Olsen with the first rounder. We need to get this line younger.

SFbear
02-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Olsen is not a good blocker. It's pretty simple actually. He's a pass catching TE.

And OL and SS are much bigger needs than TE. Hell, OLB is a bigger need.

I'd take Staley over Olsen all day long. Good pass catching TE's come and go, but OL's with elite LT potential don't come along too often. And that's how I view Staley. He's got the tools to be a dominant LT IMO.

DT depth is also a much bigger need than pass catching TE. Scott and Boone are both leaving. Harris and Dvoracek are both coming off injuries. Tank has one foot out the door and sucked against the run anyways. We live and die by the D-line.

Klecko HOF
02-26-2007, 05:31 PM
It begins and ends in the trenches. In the Superbowl, our lines were dominated on both sides.

Sign me up for Blalock. The man is a beast, animal and just the type of player we need on our offensive line. Not only is he a road grader, the man is versatile, capable of player either Tackle or Guard, something that we should not take lightly, given the age of our line.

With Ruben Brown possibly retiring, we need to start replenishing our line ASAP.

I'll settle for a tight end or safety in rounds 2+, but I simply think Blalock to be the best player available at 31.

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 05:39 PM
It begins and ends in the trenches. In the Superbowl, our lines were dominated on both sides.

Sign me up for Blaylock. The man is a beast, animal and just the type of player we need on our offensive line. Not only is he a road grader, the man is versatile, capable of player either Tackle or Guard, something that we should not take lightly, given the age of our line.

With Ruben Brown possibly retiring, we need to start replenishing our line ASAP.

I'll settle for a tight end or safety in rounds 2+, but I simply think Blaylock to be the best player available at 31.

Not over Staley. Guards are the easiest position to replace on the OL and we could nab one in the middle rounds. Elite LT's are hard to come by. Staley would be a better option there IMO.

And SFBear, yea I forgot about DT. I'll hold off on that though until I see what happens with Tank. Garay is a good prospect too keep in mind.

Klecko HOF
02-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Not over Staley. Guards are the easiest position to replace on the OL and we could nab one in the middle rounds. Elite LT's are hard to come by. Staley would be a better option there IMO.

Very true, 34, However, I doubt Staley lands in our lap at 31. Herm Edwards has an offensive line that lost Will Shields and Willie Roaf and he's staring at Kyle Turley as an alternative. Not a good position to be in. While #20 may to high a spot to select Staley, KC could trade down, acquire picks, and still get their man.

You have to excuse me; I'm still a little bit gun shy after our last first round T selection (Marc Colombo) :(

bearsfan_51
02-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Terrance Metcalf is a better starting option than nobody, which is who we have now if Fred Miller goes down. We need an OT MUUUCH more than we need interior help.

Hurricane Ditka
02-26-2007, 06:42 PM
I think James Marten is a good option, partially because Toonster does, but he showed he had more athleticism than people thought this weekend.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 06:45 PM
I didnt think our O line was that bad last year and whens the last time we got a long term starter out of the draft, we should just stick with gettin our line outta free agency. Steinbach's there this year, theres always a ton of O line men every year in free agency. Id rather have Griffin at safety over Oline. Every is so wowed by a fast Oline man, Staley will get bull rushed against a 3-4 end. I dont think hes a first rounder and far from the hall of famer your making him out to be.

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Very true, 34, However, I doubt Staley lands in our lap at 31. Herm Edwards has an offensive line that lost Will Shields and Willie Roaf and he's staring at Kyle Turley as an alternative. Not a good position to be in. While #20 may to high a spot to select Staley, KC could trade down, acquire picks, and still get their man.

You have to excuse me; I'm still a little bit gun shy after our last first round T selection (Marc Colombo) :(

Colombo was the shiznit before he got hurt. Angelo knows talent and he saw a lot of talent in Marc. Too bad he went down.

Staley not working out at the combine should help us out a bit I think. His stock didn't really go up or down, it stayed the same. But this guy is a stud. He absolutely destroyed his competition and I think he did pretty well against some of the better teams in CF (I believe they played scUM).

At least with TE we have a capable back up in Reid. And at SS we have a decent player in Harris. At OT we have NO ONE AT ALL. John St. Clair is terrible, and I wouldn't trust Metcalf at all to replace Tait or Miller if they go down.

Therefore OL, especially OT is our biggest needs in this draft. Btw, I don't think we'll be getting Steinbach, he's going to cost a ton.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Every good offense in the NFL has a good pass catching Tight end, we might as well play with 6 line men if Gabe Reid is the future, Staley is good but he will sit at least a full year, there will be value in round 2 for tackle and next year and next years free agents , i think Olsen will get better as a blocker he'll help grossman develop.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Maybe i can get a lil help here off topic, why is the photobucket link keep posting when i say something i didnt put it there

Hurricane Ditka
02-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Every good offense in the NFL has a good pass catching Tight end, we might as well play with 6 line men if Gabe Reid is the future, Staley is good but he will sit at least a full year, there will be value in round 2 for tackle and next year and next years free agents , i think Olsen will get better as a blocker he'll help grossman develop.

Every great offense has a great offensive line.

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 07:12 PM

Not where we're picking. Staley is class over a guy like Marten. Ugoh, Sears, etc will all be gone by #63. I like James but Joe Staley is a stud prospect.

I'd take Griffin over Staley but I don't think that's going to happen.

Desmond Clark is a good pass catching TE. He's one of the 10 best in the NFL IMO, at least this year he was.

I would not touch Olsen in the 1st Round. And no one said Reid is the future. What we are saying is that he's a capable backup, or well that's what I'm saying. St. Clair is not a capable backup. Chris Harris is a capable backup, Metcalf is not. See where I'm getting at? If you have a shot to take a potential franchise LT in the 1st Round, you do it IMO.

We could pick up a guy like Patrick in the 3rd at TE.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Who has Joe Staley dominated, and if he has why isnt he in the running with Joe Thomas and Levi Brown? answer because hes not that dominant and Desmond Clark is not a top 10 tight end, Gabe Reid is not a good backup, and we have an above average Oline right now, ya there old, ya we need to upgrade with youth but i dont see Joe Staley being the next Jonathan Ogden or do I ever see him being the next John Tait, He's played against sub par competition at Central Michigan, He was good at the senior bowl but the south dline didnt do anything at the senior bowl. the only starter that wont be there next year is probably Brown, Then next year maybe Fred Miller, We dont need to draft a guy that wont be well adjusted until he sits a couple years, we can always get a Oline somewhere else

Hurricane Ditka
02-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Zach Miller will probably be there in the second for us, who gives a **** if he wasn't as fast as Olsen, I dare you to watch them play and call Olsen the better football player. A scenario that involves taking a TE that I'd go for would look like this:

1-Michael Griffin
2-Zach Miller
3-James Marten

regoob2
02-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Greg Olsen is a first rounder and a big need for us I dont like Des Clark, Des Clark is slow and drops a lot of balls, Olsen has pro bowl potential. And with the stamp of approval from Miami saying hes the best TE they ever coached, Its gonna be hard to pass the best player available and and big need. also I didnt see Clark show up in the super bowl as a receiver or a blocker

regoob2
02-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Griffin wont be there in the first, Miller wont be there in the second, then what?

Hurricane Ditka
02-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Griffin wont be there in the first, Miller wont be there in the second, then what?

You obviously aren't familiar with those players current stocks.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 07:53 PM
You obviously aren't familiar with those players current stocks.

What has changed so much, griffin to the eagles or chargers, zach miller early to mid second? Isnt that fairly accurate

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Greg Olsen is a first rounder and a big need for us I dont like Des Clark, Des Clark is slow and drops a lot of balls, Olsen has pro bowl potential. And with the stamp of approval from Miami saying hes the best TE they ever coached, Its gonna be hard to pass the best player available and and big need. also I didnt see Clark show up in the super bowl as a receiver or a blocker

A) Dez Clark hardly dropped any balls this season. B) Our entire OL didn't show up in the Super bowl.

Tight End is not a big need right now because we have some depth there. It is an area that should be addressed but it's not as big a need as SS, OLB, DT, or OT.

Hurricane Ditka
02-26-2007, 07:58 PM
A) Dez Clark hardly dropped any balls this season. B) Our entire OL didn't show up in the Super bowl.

Tight End is not a big need right now because we have some depth there. It is an area that should be addressed but it's not as big a need as SS, OLB, DT, or OT.

Ron Turner wouldn't know how to use a "great" pass catching tight end

regoob2
02-26-2007, 08:05 PM
We have backupsat best at tight end but none of them should be even confused as a starter, Id say we have a lot more depth at safety then tight end, and will still have a solid D line, cant see D line in the first two rounds, i dont like linebacker in round one i think manning will get better at safety, i dont think drafting a safety 3 years in a row is the best idea for now or the future, if we have a premeire pass catching TE we'd find a way to use him

regoob2
02-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Oline is deep this year in the draft

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 08:14 PM
We have backupsat best at tight end but none of them should be even confused as a starter, Id say we have a lot more depth at safety then tight end, and will still have a solid D line, cant see D line in the first two rounds, i dont like linebacker in round one i think manning will get better at safety, i dont think drafting a safety 3 years in a row is the best idea for now or the future, if we have a premeire pass catching TE we'd find a way to use him

Um Todd Johnson won't be back next year I don't believe. And Chris Harris is serviceable at best. Reid and Gilmore are decent backups and could step in and play when called upon. And the safety position we'd be drafting at is SS, not FS. Btw, when else did we draft a Safety early besides last year? Where are you getting this 3 years in a row thing?

Like I said earlier, pass catching TE's are a dime a dozen, but elite LT's are hard to find, and Staley can be that IMO.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Um Todd Johnson won't be back next year I don't believe. And Chris Harris is serviceable at best. Reid and Gilmore are decent backups and could step in and play when called upon. And the safety position we'd be drafting at is SS, not FS. Btw, when else did we draft a Safety early besides last year? Where are you getting this 3 years in a row thing?

Like I said earlier, pass catching TE's are a dime a dozen, but elite LT's are hard to find, and Staley can be that IMO.

Chris Harris is serviceable at best but reid and gilmore are decent backups, your saying the same thing you know that right, your just trying to put a spin on it. reid and gilmore suck there the same as des clark, at least Harris is athletic and can start if need be. Who says Staley is even gonna be a good LT none less an ELITE LT. If pass catching TE are a dime a dozen why dont we have one. I like Staley and all but he will not help us win the super next year or the year after which is are best shot of winning it

regoob2
02-26-2007, 08:25 PM
We drafted Chris Harris 2 years ago, last year Manning, if we drafted a SS this year that would be 3, I dont think we need another project safety, we already have 2, maybe safety if manning goes to corner but i cant see that happening until after next year, and i dont think he'll be that special at corner.

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 08:30 PM
Chris Harris is serviceable at best but reid and gilmore are decent backups, your saying the same thing you know that right, your just trying to put a spin on it. reid and gilmore suck there the same as des clark, at least Harris is athletic and can start if need be. Who says Staley is even gonna be a good LT none less an ELITE LT. If pass catching TE are a dime a dozen why dont we have one. I like Staley and all but he will not help us win the super next year or the year after which is are best shot of winning it

Did you just say Clark sucks? Are you kidding me? Turner and Grossman couldn't get him involved on a consistent basis, that was the problem.

Clark is a damn good pass catching TE. So yes, they are a dime a dozen. Heap, Miller, Gates, Gonzo, Shockey, Witten, The Clarks, The Smith's, Crumpler, Putzier, Scheffler....All very good pass catching TE's (14 by my count). Ok I'm reaching on Putzier but 13 is still a lot.

We need a TE who can block and catch, Olsen cannot do that. He's a pass catching TE with shotty blocking skills. He will not exceed in this system. It's pretty simple. Zach Miller is a much better fit here.

Name to me the "very good LT's" in the NFL right now. I bet you'll keep it under 10, hell 7. Olsen has the tools to be a great TE, but Staley has the tools to be a great LT, and I'd take the latter all day long.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Did you just say Clark sucks? Are you kidding me? Turner and Grossman couldn't get him involved on a consistent basis, that was the problem.

Clark is a damn good pass catching TE. So yes, they are a dime a dozen. Heap, Miller, Gates, Gonzo, Shockey, Witten, The Clarks, The Smith's, Crumpler, Putzier, Scheffler....All very good pass catching TE's (14 by my count).

We need a TE who can block and catch, Olsen cannot do that. He's a pass catching TE with shotty blocking skills. He will not exceed in this system. It's pretty simple. Zach Miller is a much better fit here.

Name to me the "very good LT's" in the NFL right now. I bet you'll keep it under 10, hell 7. Olsen has the tools to be a great TE, but Staley has the tools to be a great LT, and I'd take the latter all day long.

No hes not, Des has trouble getting open, thats why they couldnt get him involved, How many of those tight ends are also elite blockers that your looking for, Your boy scott even says olsen is a better blocker than they give him credit for, and even if he isnt know you can teach blocking you cant teach speed. What makes Joe Staley ELITE, just cause he wowed u with his feet and knocked over nobody from northern michigan tech. Olsen will be a pro bowler Staley wont, ya i get it LT is the end all be all position, Joe Staley is not the end all be all LT.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 08:42 PM
and what i said was reid and gilmore suck, and there athletictly the same a des

regoob2
02-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Has anyone heard anything definative about T Jones demanding a trade

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 08:58 PM
and what i said was reid and gilmore suck, and there athletictly the same a des

No, you said Reid and Gilmore suck, they're the same as Clark. You said nothing about atheltic ability.

You have never seen Staley play if I had to venture to guess. He dominated his competition and if memory servers me right he did pretty damn well against Michigian and Boston College.

Joe Staley has all the tools to be a damn good LT in the NFL, and you take that over a good pass catching prospect any day of the week. Especially one that doesn't fit our system at all.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 09:06 PM
how doesnt he fit our system cause hes good? angelo wont pick staley bet on it

regoob2
02-26-2007, 09:08 PM
and no i havent seen a lot of central michigan games your right there not normally on tv

regoob2
02-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Theres 5 guys every year that have the tools to be the best ever at every position

Hurricane Ditka
02-26-2007, 09:22 PM
You can edit posts. Stop double posting. Think before you speak.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 09:27 PM
You can edit posts. Stop double posting. Think before you speak.

Is there not enough room?
God you guys are hard headed

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 09:34 PM
how doesnt he fit our system cause hes good? angelo wont pick staley bet on it

Did you even read our posts on why he doesn't fit our system? HE CAN'T FRIGGIN BLOCK! Yeesh.

I bet it's more of a possiblity Angelo selects Staley then Olsen. I don't know what JA is going to do, but if I WAS GM, I'd take Griff or Staley.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 09:41 PM
He will get better as a blocker unless we run 75% of the time next year then he will fit our system, what do u think our system is??, we NEED a pass catching tight end, who cares if hes not a great blocker hes a great receiver and thats our biggest need we've passed more last year than in recent years, just cause were the hard nosed bears doesnt mean we need a eric beverly type TE

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 10:03 PM
He will get better as a blocker unless we run 75% of the time next year then he will fit our system, what do u think our system is??, we NEED a pass catching tight end, who cares if hes not a great blocker hes a great receiver and thats our biggest need we've passed more last year than in recent years, just cause were the hard nosed bears doesnt mean we need a eric beverly type TE

Um yes we do. We need a TE who can block and recieve, what part about that don't you understand?

Do you know what kind of offense we run at all? I mean seriously, because I don't think you do. We NEED a guy who can both block and catch, and that is something Olsen can't do.

Desmond Clark is a damn fine reciever, so I don't see what the hurry is with getting a guy behind him in the first round. Now OL on the other hand, um yea, we definitely need to start grooming a youngster.

regoob2
02-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Gates blocks for LT, Gonzalez blocks for Larry Johnson, Shockey blocked for Tiki, Dallas Clark also not an elite blocker ya the colts pass more though so ok, Heath Miller, todd heap, crumpler, none are considered great blockers. they all block and all those teams have great offenses that can also run.

Olsen is a match up problem just like dallas clark was for us in the super bowl, you cant like your strong side linebacker up on olsen like u can on Des Clark, we've needed a new tight end for a while now, and hes a great value at 31

Hurricane Ditka
02-26-2007, 10:26 PM
The offensive line is much more important to the success of this team than whether or their back-up tight end is a good pass catcher.

sweetness34
02-26-2007, 10:45 PM
The offensive line is much more important to the success of this team than whether or their back-up tight end is a good pass catcher.

You just said what I was trying to say in my past 5 posts. Thanks HD. You're a GOD!

Bearsfan123
02-26-2007, 11:10 PM
point-We are a running team that needs a youth movement on the Oline

TE is a want, not a need. How many of the last 20 Super Bowl teams had a dominant TE, i dont know of too many.

KBear
02-27-2007, 02:49 AM
If the Bears really wanted to add a pass catching TE, they could always wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to do so, not that I believe that they will draft a TE but wouldn't it be nice to have a good young TE to go along with Clark? Thats how I think of it, and that would put it as a want or a nice to have, but not really a need. And I dont think the Bears can afford to draft for a "want" in the first round.

And the point where it would it help get the Bears back to the big game if they had another TE who could be a viable threat and someone who the other team had to game plan agaisnt. But I really dont think the Bears can land that type of TE at the end of the first round. If teams really thought Olsen could do that, someone who draft him before the Bears ever had the chance.

And now for Staley. If he really did have LT potential, I would believe that someone would draft him before the Bears had a chance as well. Like what was said, how many elite LT or good LT are there in the league? And if for some reason he where there, Angelo does not usually take a player like that in the first round. Doesnt he go with the safe pick? Is Staley really a safe pick? Hasn't Angelo said before that he can find good OL in round 2 or later?

Now I have read that Angelo has second guessed himself by not taking a TE last year when it was such a good year for TEs saying it was something he normally would have done. But this years TE class is not all that great. So does he draft one to make up for last year, or does he draft the position where there are more talent to pick from? That a question that can only be answered on draft day.

I think he sticks to drafting for what he sees as who still has good value, no matter when he picks. But I also have to believe that his first pick will be a relative safe pick. Now who is that in the first round? I'm not sure. Is it a safty, and if so does that mean that Mike Brown might be gone, or has he seen enough in Manning to know that he is not the answer? I have a hard time believing either of those two, at least for right now. And I'm sure he knows that he can get a decent backup safty in the later rounds. Its been a while since the Bears or Angelo has picked a Safty in the first round, but then again is starting to become more trendy to do so.

But I'm going to stop here before I rule out every position.

evershot
02-27-2007, 05:55 AM
I'm sorry but all this talk about getting on O-linemen in the first round goes against Jerry Angelo's current trend of getting solid proven O-linemen via FA to fill in spots.

Hurricane Ditka
02-27-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm sorry but all this talk about getting on O-linemen in the first round goes against Jerry Angelo's current trend of getting solid proven O-linemen via FA to fill in spots.

That's not effective in the long term. Upper tier offensive lineman don't reach free agency till they're too old to build an offensive line around.

evershot
02-27-2007, 08:01 AM
That's not effective in the long term. Upper tier offensive lineman don't reach free agency till they're too old to build an offensive line around.

Tell that to Jerry Angelo. You can site all the examples of all the successful o-lines that have been built via the draft but it doesn't change the fact that Angelo did not draft a single OL that is starting on the line right now.

sweetness34
02-27-2007, 09:28 AM
If the Bears really wanted to add a pass catching TE, they could always wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to do so, not that I believe that they will draft a TE but wouldn't it be nice to have a good young TE to go along with Clark? Thats how I think of it, and that would put it as a want or a nice to have, but not really a need. And I dont think the Bears can afford to draft for a "want" in the first round.

And the point where it would it help get the Bears back to the big game if they had another TE who could be a viable threat and someone who the other team had to game plan agaisnt. But I really dont think the Bears can land that type of TE at the end of the first round. If teams really thought Olsen could do that, someone who draft him before the Bears ever had the chance.

And now for Staley. If he really did have LT potential, I would believe that someone would draft him before the Bears had a chance as well. Like what was said, how many elite LT or good LT are there in the league? And if for some reason he where there, Angelo does not usually take a player like that in the first round. Doesnt he go with the safe pick? Is Staley really a safe pick? Hasn't Angelo said before that he can find good OL in round 2 or later?

Now I have read that Angelo has second guessed himself by not taking a TE last year when it was such a good year for TEs saying it was something he normally would have done. But this years TE class is not all that great. So does he draft one to make up for last year, or does he draft the position where there are more talent to pick from? That a question that can only be answered on draft day.

I think he sticks to drafting for what he sees as who still has good value, no matter when he picks. But I also have to believe that his first pick will be a relative safe pick. Now who is that in the first round? I'm not sure. Is it a safty, and if so does that mean that Mike Brown might be gone, or has he seen enough in Manning to know that he is not the answer? I have a hard time believing either of those two, at least for right now. And I'm sure he knows that he can get a decent backup safty in the later rounds. Its been a while since the Bears or Angelo has picked a Safty in the first round, but then again is starting to become more trendy to do so.

But I'm going to stop here before I rule out every position.

I miss this. :(

regoob2
02-27-2007, 11:02 AM
If we draft the all mighty Joe Staley who would he start over this year or even next??? I dont see how youth is round one importance, ya youth at Oline is our biggest need long term but im not gonna spend 7 picks on it this year, kc had a dominant line the last 5 years where did that take them to a good running good, alright pass game and no defense and 0 super bowls, we have the team now to win and maybe next year, i dont know if we'll have it when Joe staley actually starts to start

SFbear
02-27-2007, 11:07 AM
If we draft the all mighty Joe Staley who would he start over this year or even next??? I dont see how youth is round one importance, ya youth at Oline is our biggest need long term but im not gonna spend 7 picks on it this year, kc had a dominant line the last 5 years where did that take them to a good running good, alright pass game and no defense and 0 super bowls, we have the team now to win and maybe next year i dont know if we'll have it when Joe staley actually starts to start

KC also had that almighty pass catching TE that you believe is so crucial. Using your same logic, we shouldnt draft Greg Olsen.

regoob2
02-27-2007, 11:15 AM
yes because we have a great defense now, our window wont be open forever, ya joe staley's good, but i dont want to see joe staley be a nice LT for the 6-10 chicago bears 5 years from now after we lose half our team, Oline can be had in round 2, I dont think Joe Staley is that dominant of a run blocker if thats all we do is run, is he??

KBear
02-27-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm not sold on the fact that Olsen will have a bigger impact on the Bears then a TE in the middle rounds would. And I'm not in the draft Staley group either.

regoob2
02-27-2007, 11:51 AM
I think we should definetly grab a playmaker on offense, we have a dozen nice lil players on offense and no one has stepped up when we needed them, there is no dominant #1 on our offense and i dont think we will get any better with a young oline and a 3rd round TE, we have nothing but middle round TE's and receivers and that has brought the O nowhere

KBear
02-27-2007, 12:06 PM
It was not that long ago that the Bears where dead last on offence. But I do agree that a good young TE will do wonders in Chicago, just that I dont think Olsen is that TE.

I think that the Bears can get a good young TE (IF they choose to do so)that fits what they are trying to do on offence in the second or third rounds and still upgrade that position.

I also agree on the fact that the Bears dont need to spend their first rounder on the OL. Good value can be had later.

But if its between OL or TE, I will choose the OL.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2007, 12:12 PM
I really don't understand the utility in talking about players that

A) We almost know for certain the Bears won't draft.
B) They highly likely won't be available by the time we pick anyway.

Ok, we get it, you think we should draft Olsen. We aren't going to. Anyone with insight into the Bears and Ron Turner's offense can see that. Can we please move on now?

And for the record, I still think secondary or reciever is just as likely of a first round objective. There is going to be good value at #31 for WR and if they stick with the policy of BPA that's likely how it will fall.

regoob2
02-27-2007, 12:14 PM
If we go Oline i think we should try and trade down staley will be there if we move down 5 spots, dont think he'll get past arizona if they dont get there tackle in the first but if we need to rebuild that bad then we should definetly trade down, and if we go after a different tackle we should move down mid way through round 2, theres plently of round 2 talent at Oline

KBear
02-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I really don't understand the utility in talking about players that

A) We almost know for certain the Bears won't draft.
B) They highly likely won't be available by the time we pick anyway.

Ok, we get it, you think we should draft Olsen. We aren't going to. Anyone with insight into the Bears and Ron Turner's offense can see that. Can we please move on now?

And for the record, I still think secondary or reciever is just as likely of a first round objective. There is going to be good value at #31 for WR and if they stick with the policy of BPA that's likely how it will fall.

I would not mind a young WR. But do we get one like Muhammed or do we go with more of a verticle threat as insurance if we loose Berrian when he becomes a FA?

evershot
02-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I would not mind a young WR. But do we get one like Muhammed or do we go with more of a verticle threat as insurance if we loose Berrian when he becomes a FA?

Mark Bradley was just coming off a ACL injury and it usually takes a year to before a player is back to full strength so a first round rookie will have to compete with Bradley for playing time.

If the Bears go WR they need to find a WR that brings something different than just speed because Bradley all ready has speed. A player I think that would be an interesting prospect and adds something different than just speed is Sidney Rice.

sweetness34
02-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Son of a *****. A whole bunch of our posts just got whiped.

Windy
02-27-2007, 08:00 PM
i saw quincy black ran a good 40.

Smokey Joe
02-27-2007, 08:15 PM
It looks like Daymeion Hughes and Rufus Alexander both might be falling out of the first day because of bad combines. I wouldn't mind getting either of these guys in the third or fourth.

As for TE, I still think Zach Miller is our best option. But if Greg Olsen is there at 31, I'd be all for him. Also, if Jarrett or Bowe are there at 31 it would be tough to pass on either one of them.

With 0T being so week this year, it might just be best to get someone for next year.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
02-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Staley will be a huge bust in the NFL?

I see the potential with him, but I would not take him w/ the 31st pick..

I've been on the Meachem bandwagon for a while; It's too bad he improved his stock at the combine.. I hope JA takes advantage of this sick WR class and takes one of the WRs..

sweetness34
02-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Staley will be a huge bust in the NFL?

I see the potential with him, but I would not take him w/ the 31st pick..

I've been on the Meachem bandwagon for a while; It's too bad he improved his stock at the combine.. I hope JA takes advantage of this sick WR class and takes one of the WRs..

Hmmm, I love Staley. He's very quick, he's got good size (might need some poundage though), good technique, and he's athletic. I saw him play a couple times for CM on TV and he looked great IMO.

But to each his own opinion.

The problem with the WR's is that I don't think any of them will drop to be honest, maybe Jarrett but we'll see how his 40 goes.

CJ is top 5, Meachem is top 20, Bowe is top 25, Ginn is top 20, etc...I think Rice and Jarrett have a good shot to be there, in fact I'll say Rice is there. And I wouldn't be against taking Sidney at #31, but Staley's my boy right now along with Griffin.

Smokey Joe
02-27-2007, 08:47 PM
made a quick bears mock...

1. Dwayne Jarrett/Greg Olsen/BPA
An offensive target for Grossman, whether it be reciever or TE. I'd probably prefer Olsen just mainly because he is a TE who could be a difference maker right from the beginning.

2. John Wendling, S
Good fit for the cover 2, can play either FS or SS, and is excellent vs. the run. Would be Mike Brown's future replacement.

3a. Kareem Brown, DT
With Tommie Harris and Dusty Dvorecek both comming off of injurys, Tank Johnson having legal problems, and both Ian Scott and Alfonso Boone both being free agents, depth is needed.

3b. Brandon Jackson, RB
With Thomas Jones requesting a trade, a change of back would be needed for CB. The Bears have reportedly talked to Jackson, and he seems to be a perfect fit.

4. Daymeion Hughes, CB
Falls out of the first day because of major questions concerning his speed. Would contribute on special teams at the very least, and could turn out to be a steal.

5. OLB/OT/BPA
6. OLB/OT/BPA
7a. BPA
7b. BPA

bearsfan_51
02-27-2007, 08:50 PM
If Daymeion Hughes falls to the late 4th I'll buy you a pizza.

Smokey Joe
02-27-2007, 08:52 PM
If Daymeion Hughes falls to the late 4th I'll buy you a pizza.

its a deal!

bearsfan_51
02-27-2007, 08:53 PM
By the way, my dream mock stays the same as it was 3-4 months ago.

1st round-Michael Griffen
2nd round- Brandon Mebane
3rd round- Justin Durant

Durant ran a great time at the combine and probably re-uped his stock though.

Hurricane Ditka
02-27-2007, 09:23 PM
I don't think we'll be taking a DT day one. We have more important things to do. The offensive line needs more work than the d-line does.

Smokey Joe
02-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't think we'll be taking a DT day one. We have more important things to do. The offensive line needs more work than the d-line does.
There is practically no value for O linemen where we will be picking though though.

Hurricane Ditka
02-27-2007, 09:59 PM
There is practically no value for O linemen where we will be picking though though.

Are you part of the forum mock anymore?

bearsfan_51
02-27-2007, 10:36 PM

Says you. Tank Johnson is on this team for one more year and nothing else. I really like Dvorack but he needs to actually play before I consider him the answer. Currently there is no solid longterm answer at NT.

I'm not saying D-Line is a bigger need than O-line, I just think Mebane is a better player than any O-lineman we can get in the 2nd. Plus I think if we resign Brown it's possible we don't draft a lineman anyway. Angelo seems content with the guys we have if you read his comments. He said the same thing about D-Line as well, but this is my dream, not what I think Angelo will do.

Hurricane Ditka
02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Johnson's not going anywhere.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Johnson's not going anywhere.

**** yes he is. His contract is up after this season. They aren't giving him new money. Angelo wanted to cut him flat out. There's no way they give him another contract with guaranteed money.

Not to mention that he's really just not that good. If he played at an elite level I could justify the headache. He's a borderline starter even without the off-field issues. We can do a lot better.

sweetness34
02-27-2007, 11:01 PM
**** yes he is. His contract is up after this season. They aren't giving him new money. Angelo wanted to cut him flat out. There's no way they give him another contract with guaranteed money.

Not to mention that he's really just not that good. If he played at an elite level I could justify the headache. He's a borderline starter even without the off-field issues. We can do a lot better.

With Tommie by his side Tank is good. But I'll agree with that right there.

blkwdw13
02-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Son of a *****. A whole bunch of our posts just got whiped.

What happened to them was it just a glich in the new forum or something else.

And about Tank being with the Bears long term I think it is going to depend on what he does during the next season.

KBear
02-28-2007, 12:24 AM
And about Tank being with the Bears long term I think it is going to depend on what he does during the next season.

Its going to depend on whether he can get his act together and whether or not he will resign for less to stay with the Bears because if other teams are interested in Boone and Scott, there will be one that is interested in Tank and will look past his problems off the field.

KBear
02-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Says you. Tank Johnson is on this team for one more year and nothing else. I really like Dvorack but he needs to actually play before I consider him the answer. Currently there is no solid longterm answer at NT.

I'm not saying D-Line is a bigger need than O-line, I just think Mebane is a better player than any O-lineman we can get in the 2nd. Plus I think if we resign Brown it's possible we don't draft a lineman anyway. Angelo seems content with the guys we have if you read his comments. He said the same thing about D-Line as well, but this is my dream, not what I think Angelo will do.

I know Angelo seems content for some reason with they guys he already has, but he will probably say that about most of the positions too, at least to a degree that would make you think that they would not spend a high draft pick there. But Angelo also believe that football games are won in the trenches, so I will find hard to beleive that he would not address the OL and/or the DL in this years draft.

And I hope he address the DT, becuase right now its all abunch of ?s. We dont know how Harris is going to respond, but I'm really not all that worried there. Dvorack is still an unkown. Tank may be in and out of jail and is just a problem waiting to happen. And Garay is unproven and could easily be replaced.

As for the OL, at least there are some guys on the practice squad and some where sent to NFL Europe, but I dont feel very comfortable with just having those guys for the future. Its better then nothing, but not by that much.

SFbear
02-28-2007, 04:43 AM
Secondary is the only position that Angelo is admitting he would like to address in his recent interviews, due to Mike Brown's injuries. Everything else he feels we are solid at and intends to go with a BPA approach in the draft. He also has said he's not planning on any of the FA's to come back.

If we are really are moving Danieal(God I hate that name) Manning to CB depth, we'll need a safety with enough speed and range to start at FS and enough size and punch to back up Brown at SS. Wendling definitely has the measurables for this but I didn't get to see how fluid he was in the drills. Im not sure how the coaches feel about Chris Harris anymore but I don't think he has the speed we need at the position.

Also I agree that Tank will be gone when his contract is up. My dream is to finally get a NT that is stout against the run and can get a good push up the middle on 1st and 2nd down so we don't get dink and dunked by QB's stepping up in the pocket so much. Dvoracek may be it. Does Mebane project to UT or NT for our scheme? At 309 I would guess NT. Either way depth is depth.

KBear
02-28-2007, 05:12 AM
Well if Hester really is going to WR, then Manning to replace Hester at CB, then drafting a rookie to replace Manning would make some sence.

bearsfan_51
02-28-2007, 08:21 AM
A few thoughts.

-Angelo said he didn't plan on the DT's coming back. Brown and Johnson are still possibilities.

-Mebane could play NT in a 3-4, so I'm sure he could play it in a Tampa 2

-I just remembered why I never eat pop tarts. These things are just flavored cardboard.

Bearsfan123
02-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Whos the former second rd TE on our practice squad?

bearsfan_51
02-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Whos the former second rd TE on our practice squad?
He was signed by another team.

blkwdw13
02-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Here is a video of Brandon Jackson since Angelo interviewed him, he kind of reminds me of Thomas Jones a little bit and from the video I don't think he goes down as easy as some have said he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7LqfRdnT0I&NR

dabears10
02-28-2007, 03:57 PM
I know im pretty stupid with suggestions. I rarely think before posting.

That being said with Tank Tyler around the 31st pick would the Bears be willing to spend their pick on him. He does not get alot of push in passing plays but is great at stopping the run. I believe the Bears greatest weakness is it's ability to stop the run up the middle. However, I think the one thing i would not like is the amount of money we would be spending on our D-Line(Oguneleye, Harris, and now Tyler).

bearsfan_51
02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
D-Line is a positive that should have lots of money spent on it, especially in a cover 2.

Hurricane Ditka
02-28-2007, 04:28 PM

That being said with Tank Tyler around the 31st pick would the Bears be willing to spend their pick on him. He does not get alot of push in passing plays but is great at stopping the run. I believe the Bears greatest weakness is it's ability to stop the run up the middle. However, I think the one thing i would not like is the amount of money we would be spending on our D-Line(Oguneleye, Harris, and now Tyler).Tyler isn't worth pick 31.

Smokey Joe
02-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Are you part of the forum mock anymore?

You can take over for the rest of the week... I have been crazy busy this week, waking up at 4 o'clock and stuff like that. So when I do get home, I am to tired to do anything w/ the draft. If it is still going by the weekend, I'll come back!

blkwdw13
02-28-2007, 07:08 PM

That being said with Tank Tyler around the 31st pick would the Bears be willing to spend their pick on him. He does not get alot of push in passing plays but is great at stopping the run. I believe the Bears greatest weakness is it's ability to stop the run up the middle. However, I think the one thing i would not like is the amount of money we would be spending on our D-Line(Oguneleye, Harris, and now Tyler).

With how he was over matched at the Senior Bowl I don't think the Bears should draft him.

VoteLynnSwan
02-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Guys i could see us drafting... just because they seem like JA type players...

Zach Miller TE
James Marten OT
Brandon Jackson RB
Dwayne Jarrett WR
Rufus Alexander LB
Zak DeOssie LB (just throwin that out there)
Sabby Piscitelli S
John Wendling S
Eric Weddle S

just some names...

VoteLynnSwan
02-28-2007, 08:23 PM
I'd probably add Michael Griffen to that list just because he went to Texas.

blkwdw13
02-28-2007, 08:29 PM
I would definitely add Griffin and I really hope the Bears pick him if he is there.

KBear
02-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Tyler isn't worth pick 31.

Maybe the Bills will trade up to get him.

sweetness34
02-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Maybe the Bills will trade up to get him.

Ha! Nice KBear....

(I hate this 10 character minimum)

pellepelle_10
02-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Zach Miller will probably be there in the second for us, who gives a **** if he wasn't as fast as Olsen, I dare you to watch them play and call Olsen the better football player. A scenario that involves taking a TE that I'd go for would look like this:

1-Michael Griffin
2-Zach Miller
3-James Marten

Somebody pinch me. Ditka you're not picking an O-Lineman anymore? Ok..I want some reasoning behind the sudden change here. I'm intriged to know why you've now changed.

pellepelle_10
02-28-2007, 11:21 PM
I would definitely add Griffin and I really hope the Bears pick him if he is there.

You and me both. I agree with you on this one. I'm getting the feeling we're going to go SS if he gets to us. I just have a gut feeling.

blkwdw13
02-28-2007, 11:29 PM
Somebody pinch me. Ditka you're not picking an O-Lineman anymore? Ok..I want some reasoning behind the sudden change here. I'm intriged to know why you've now changed.

Marten is an OT.

pellepelle_10
02-28-2007, 11:44 PM
1. OT: Levi Brown- A Pipe dream.1st TU
Arron Sears-A versatile guy. 1st
Joe Staley-A athletic tackle.1st
Tony Ugoh-A guy with LT possibility1st, maybe 2nd
Ryan Harris- Athletic tackle-2nd-3rd
Doug Free- Local product 3rd-4th

2. OG: Justin Blalock-one of the best run blockers 1st-2nd
Ben Grubbs-Great upside, good program1st-2nd
Josh Beekman-good size 2nd
Manuel Ramirez- a hard worker whos good at the poa. 2nd-3rd
Mike Jones-good upside 3rd-4th

3. S: Michael Griffin- If he falls it will be because of #s. 1st TU
Eric Weddle- A playmaker that really is a tweener. 2nd
John Wendling- A guy who could be a steal. 2nd
Aaron Rouse- Might be a linebacker but solid skills 2nd
Michael Johnson-Not a speed demon, but neither is Mike Brown 3rd-4th

4. OLB: Pozlusny- Another guy who might fall due to #s. 1st TU
Jon Beason-Very quick lber 2nd
Earl Everett- another very athletic backer 2nd
Rufus Alexander- a backer who comes from a program we like 2nd
Justin Durant- Doesnt disengage well but a solid athlete 3rd

5. TE: Greg Olsen-A smooth athlete with good hands 1st-2nd
Zach Miller- all around solid player but cant stretch the field 2nd
Ben Patrick- a guy with good hands but not a speed threat 3rd-4th
Scott Chandler- a solid athlete that has alot of upside 3rd-4th

6. WR: Jason Hill-A guy who could compete with Bradley or might be a Bradley clone.-2nd-early 3rd
Paul Williams- a guy with great physical tools but an underachiever 3rd
Rhema McKnight- a great blocker who will be an asset in the run game 4th
Steve Smith-a good route runner with reliable hands, not the best character 4th-5th
Jacoby Jones-a guy I know nothing about 4th-5th
Jarret Hicks- a guy whos been productive but might be a product of the system 4th-6th
Laurent Robinson- a sleeper who could become special 5th

Bearsfan I really like your rosters here. I'm a little mad my draftlist got erased but oh well. I think Steve Smith and Jason Hill will be our best selections at WR. I've been a Hill fanboy since last years offseason and I have to say I'm happy he got his just desserts in the combine. He has run some nice routes all througout his college career and has great hands. Now his 40 times tell why he's been averaging 18.3 carrer yds and 32 td's. Apparently that injury of his didn't hurt him that much.

I think OL can be addressed in this draft however I really hope we don't waste it in the first couple of rnds.

Rnd 1: Michael Griffin - S - Texas...the Safety position is hurting big time. Our best guy has been out 3 consecutive seasons with injuries and there's no telling if he'll stay healthy the 4th season. It's time to get someone in to aid here. Chris Harris is solid but the rest is suspect. Todd Johnson is good as gone. Daniel Manning is the king of poor angles of pursuit and still has much to learn about tackling and coverage. This is definatelly our weak link on defense.

Rnd 2: Rufus Alexander - OLB - Oklahoma or Jason Hill - WR - Washington State......As we'd all love to keep Briggs no deal has been cemented. Even if this is the case we have a bandaide named Hunter Hillenmeyer who is begging to take a bench role. Jamar Williams was supposed to contribute but ended up on the sidelines with a season ending injury. There's still hope with him but the OLB depth still needs another body. Rufus can instantly challenge for the 3rd LB slot and finally put Hillenmeyer in his rightful position...BENCH!

Rnd 3: Jason Hill - WR - Washington State or Steve Smith WR - USC .....well I don't really think there's a need for analysis here...I've said enough about what I felt about Jason Hill before this combine even started. Both Hill and Steve Smith are top end route runners and sure hands for a quarterback needing a possession receiver. Muhsin Muhammad isn't getting any younger and what better prospect to mold than these 2 guys. Either one will excel at the next level. IMO I think Smith can end up having a better career than Jarrett if he's on a team that utilizes him well. I see Smith as a Bobby Engram with more speed. Hill I see as a Bradley with better hands (although Bradley does a heck of a job catching balls..he just needs to stay healthy long enough for people to see how good he really is.)

Other guys who would be worth selecting.

Aaron Ross - CB - Texas .....lets face it ...besides Tillman and Vasher we're toast when it comes to cornerbacks. Manning Jr. is great for nickel/dime situations but anything else he's been awful. We're still in need of depth at this position.

Cris Houston - CB - Arkansas ...another top end contributor who will do well in adding depth to this team. I would like to see a CB drafted in this draft for depth purposes.

Zach Miller - TE - Arizona State ...I don't care what anybody says about his 40 times. The guy produces...period. I'm happy for Olsen and his combine numbers but if he's not producing on the field it means nothing. I want the guy who produces on the field..not the track. I'd rather have both but when it comes down to it..production wins.

Darius Walker - RB - Notre Dame ...another TJ type of RB who can run and catch out of the backfield. May not be as fast but very productive for a solid Notre Dame team.

pellepelle_10
02-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Marten is an OT.

I'm speaking about the 1st rnd pick...we've been discussing the 1st pick for awhile. He has been selecting OL as top pick..now its 3rd on the depth chart. I just wanted to know why the change.

blkwdw13
02-28-2007, 11:51 PM
After watching that Brandon Jackson video I posted earlier I like that Angelo is looking into him more, he looks a lot better than Walker and is faster on top of it.

blkwdw13
02-28-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm speaking about the 1st rnd pick...we've been discussing the 1st pick for awhile. He has been selecting OL as top pick..now its 3rd on the depth chart. I just wanted to know why the change.

I see what you meant now.

Hurricane Ditka
03-01-2007, 06:58 AM

Read my longer post on the first page. I picked two.

sweetness34
03-01-2007, 11:58 AM
After watching that Brandon Jackson video I posted earlier I like that Angelo is looking into him more, he looks a lot better than Walker and is faster on top of it.

We got him in the forum mock baby! 4th round! :D

Bearsfan123
03-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Why dont we sign Reno Mahe instead of drafting a guy who will most likely be third on the depth chart?

bearfan
03-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Why dont we sign Reno Mahe instead of drafting a guy who will most likely be third on the depth chart?

Ehh, what I dont like about that, is that Mahe really doesnt have the potential IMO to be a change of pace back. Someone like Booker, Walker or some of the guys you guys have been talking about to come in and have potential to do something rather than Mahe, who hasnt proved anything (while the rookies havent either), they at least have the prospect of becoming something better than a backup.

Smokey Joe
03-01-2007, 08:20 PM

Because Reno Mahe sucks, and a guy like Brandon Jackson would add good depth.

pellepelle_10
03-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Read my longer post on the first page. I picked two.

Really? I'm only seeing one and the top 2 picks that I've had in my projected picks before are the same you have. I was just curious to why you've now jumped to the SS, OLB team. Again I don't think Angelo will go OL in the first couple rounds. Maybe he pulls a surprise..you never know with the guy but it has seemed obvious that Safety is a growing concern and OLB depth as well as a replacement given Briggs leaves is also a major concern. I do think OL is a need for youth but he's been very successful getting them out of FA. I don't see him changing game plans anytime soon. If it works then keep going with it.

Hurricane Ditka
03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
I never jumped on or off anything. You just haven't been paying attention. And it's about value, not position. If the value is higher at safety than it is at offensive line, which if Michael Griffin available it will be, but if the value is higher at offensive line, we'll go in that direction. Like if Brown doesn't come back, and Blalock is there. Or if Blalock is there at all.

pellepelle_10
03-01-2007, 11:03 PM
I never jumped on or off anything. You just haven't been paying attention. And it's about value, not position. If the value is higher at safety than it is at offensive line, which if Michael Griffin available it will be, but if the value is higher at offensive line, we'll go in that direction. Like if Brown doesn't come back, and Blalock is there. Or if Blalock is there at all.

So let me ask you..if Blalock or Grubbs are there with Griffin and Poz who would you take?

blkwdw13
03-02-2007, 12:26 AM
So let me ask you..if Blalock or Grubbs are there with Griffin and Poz who would you take?

I would take Griffin then Posluszny, then either one of the guards.

Bearsfan123
03-02-2007, 09:14 AM
no heres a better question, if both guards are there along with Griffin, Poz, and Dwayne Jarret, who do the Bears select? (the last option also could be Sidney Rice if you think Jarret is too much of a stretch)

KBear
03-02-2007, 11:14 AM
no heres a better question, if both guards are there along with Griffin, Poz, and Dwayne Jarret, who do the Bears select? (the last option also could be Sidney Rice if you think Jarret is too much of a stretch)

If Briggs was gone for sure I would go with Poz, then Griffen. Jarret would be tempting though.

pellepelle_10
03-02-2007, 03:13 PM
If Briggs was gone for sure I would go with Poz, then Griffen. Jarret would be tempting though.

Don't get me wrong and I agree ALOT with what you're saying KBear. Poz is one hard dude to pass up on with his talent. I'd have to say he'd be the better selection over Griffin but Jarrett? I'm being dead serious when I say I'd take Robert Meachem over him. In all honesty I'd rather take Jason Hill than either of them. I know many may not have seen much from Hill but I've been watching this guy for 2 1/2 years now. He's going to be special in the NFL.

KBear
03-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Don't get me wrong and I agree ALOT with what you're saying KBear. Poz is one hard dude to pass up on with his talent. I'd have to say he'd be the better selection over Griffin but Jarrett? I'm being dead serious when I say I'd take Robert Meachem over him. In all honesty I'd rather take Jason Hill than either of them. I know many may not have seen much from Hill but I've been watching this guy for 2 1/2 years now. He's going to be special in the NFL.

Jarret was third on my list, so dont make too big a deal out of it. But I do think it would be tempting to take him. He could learn under Moose until he is ready to start. He would be a big target for Grossman or who ever the QB will be in 3 years from now. I know he is not the best thing since sliced bread or what ever little phrase you want to use and I wont be upset if the Bears don't draft him if they get the chace to do so.

pellepelle_10
03-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Jarret was third on my list, so dont make too big a deal out of it. But I do think it would be tempting to take him. He could learn under Moose until he is ready to start. He would be a big target for Grossman or who ever the QB will be in 3 years from now. I know he is not the best thing since sliced bread or what ever little phrase you want to use and I wont be upset if the Bears don't draft him if they get the chace to do so.

Yep I totally agree the idea you have. Thats exactly what I was thinking about Jason Hill or Steve Smith. I think a possession WR is a need but it would be better if we went in the later rnds so we could address Safety insurance and OLB depth. Jarrett will be a very good WR but I think Meachem would be better. As much as I like these guys I think our needs will be better suited for OLB and Safety. Hell I'd be fine with Chris Houston or Aaron Ross if you ask me.

KBear
03-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Meachem would not be too bad, he could be insurace in case Berrian leaves or gets hurt, but I think I would rather wait until later in the draft like you said. I would be fine with a Steve Smith or Courtney Taylor (who is the wr prospect I want the Bears to draft) but I dont think either of them are the type that Angelo would draft. I would not mind Hill, but I dont think I would take him in the first round and I think he will get drafted before the Bears pick again.

Bearsfan123
03-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Heres a new one: I tried to mix it up abit

Rd1:Justin Blalock
Rd2:Rufus Alexander
Rd3:Michael Johnson
Rd4:Scott Chandler
Rd5:Brandon Frye
rd6:Laurent Robinson
Rd7:Abraham Wright
72:Brandon McDonald

V2 of unusual mock
1. Trade up giving up the 31st overall pick, Adewale Ogunleye and our 3rd rder to get the 19th overall- Reggie Nelson S
2.-Josh Beekman G
3-Trade up Thomas Jones our 4th rder and next years 4th rder-Quentin Moses DE
5th-Rhema McKnight WR
6thLaurent Robinson WR
7th-Reggie Lewis CB
7th-Daniel Inman OT

KBear
03-03-2007, 12:28 PM
I would prefer your first mock. In your second mock, the Bears would be giving up to much just to get a third round pick, and I dont see a replacement for Jones.

Bearsfan123
03-03-2007, 01:23 PM
I would prefer your first mock. In your second mock, the Bears would be giving up to much just to get a third round pick, and I dont see a replacement for Jones.

i honestly dont think we need one. I like Adrian Peterson, and im sure we can add another good ST RB from our PS or FA.

OH OH, i forgot to add thats for the 8th pick in the 3rd rd. (To Houston) Plus getting Quentin Moses there would be awesome for our pass rush.

Smokey Joe
03-03-2007, 01:55 PM
i honestly dont think we need one. I like Adrian Peterson, and im sure we can add another good ST RB from our PS or FA.

OH OH, i forgot to add thats for the 8th pick in the 3rd rd. (To Houston) Plus getting Quentin Moses there would be awesome for our pass rush.

we don't need a pass rushing DE... we need a DT

OhioState
03-03-2007, 02:08 PM
My mock
1. Paul Poz, briggs wants out so he can take his spot next year
2. Anthony Gonzalez/Zach Miller
3.Doug Datish, he is really a guard not a center and i wouldn't mind manuel ramirez

KBear
03-03-2007, 06:01 PM
we don't need a pass rushing DE... we need a DT

we would in his mock because he traded Ogun.

NYmoney
03-04-2007, 03:08 PM
My mock
3.Doug Datish, he is really a guard not a center and i wouldn't mind manuel ramirez

i don't think miller would still be around in the late 2nd. i like the gonzalez pick; although it may be too high.

Bearsfan123
03-04-2007, 05:45 PM
My mock

the reason i dont like Poz is because hes on the slow side. Im unsure if he'll be able to play sideline to sideline like Briggs.

SFbear
03-05-2007, 03:36 AM
Don't know if this was mentioned before but JA regrets not drafting a TE last year.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/sports/272348,2_2_AU25_BEARS_S1.article

evershot
03-05-2007, 02:32 PM
the reason i dont like Poz is because hes on the slow side. Im unsure if he'll be able to play sideline to sideline like Briggs.

Briggs didn't time well either coming out of college. He was around the 4.78 but he had good instincts and the scheme really helped him out.

Poz's instincts is the reason why I like him so much. The scheme will help hide his some of his deficiencies (not all) and his instincts can make him a playmaker in this scheme because the Tampa 2 is great for Linebackers that can make quick decisions.

sweetness34
03-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Pat Kirwin agrees with me:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3134

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Don't know if this was mentioned before but JA regrets not drafting a TE last year.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beaconnews/sports/272348,2_2_AU25_BEARS_S1.article

That's odd because in retrospect he looks brilliant. Who would you rather have, Devin Hester or Leonard Pope?

SFbear
03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
That's odd because in retrospect he looks brilliant. Who would you rather have, Devin Hester or Leonard Pope?

Yeah. It kinda ruins his mystique.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Yeah. It kinda ruins his mystique.
Huh? Maybe I'm misreading your post, but are you actually suggesting that Pope would have been a better pick? He's the one-dimensional overrated player that I said he was. In no way would he have been a better pick.

SFbear
03-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Huh? Maybe I'm misreading your post, but are you actually suggesting that Pope would have been a better pick? He's the one-dimensional overrated player that I said he was. In no way would he have been a better pick.

I was referring to JA's mystique of being such a genius that he knew Pope and most of the TE's available to us where we were picking were overrated. He also seemed like he knew Desmond Clark would have a big year if we had better QB play. That and knowing that Devin Hester would be amazing. I also remember him saying he was targeting Owen Daniels in the fourth who was by far the most productive TE in the draft. All these things make JA look clairvoyant. The article where he kind of second guesses himself take away from that mystique.

KBear
03-06-2007, 06:48 AM

Would you rather have Danieal Manning or Marcedes Lewis/Joe Klopfenstein/Anthony Fasano? Lewis could have been had at our first round pick had we not traded down (but you would have to take into account that we would not have drafted Dusty Dvoracek), and both Klopfenstein/Fasano could have been had at the 42 pick.

blkwdw13
03-06-2007, 09:11 AM
I think that article is using a lot of word play, did Angelo really say what spot he regrets not taking a TE in or was it just the writer guessing which spot maybe he meant the the third round pick.

bearsfan_51
03-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Would you rather have Danieal Manning or Marcedes Lewis/Joe Klopfenstein/Anthony Fasano? Lewis could have been had at our first round pick had we not traded down (but you would have to take into account that we would not have drafted Dusty Dvoracek), and both Klopfenstein/Fasano could have been had at the 42 pick.

I'd rather have Manning than Fasano or Klop.

I'd rather have Manning/Dvorack than Marcedes.

I really don't think there's much of a debate honestly, although we shall see how they all develop.

I should also note that I'm not a Danieal Manning fan at all.

bearsfan_51
03-06-2007, 10:15 AM
I was referring to JA's mystique of being such a genius that he knew Pope and most of the TE's available to us where we were picking were overrated. He also seemed like he knew Desmond Clark would have a big year if we had better QB play. That and knowing that Devin Hester would be amazing. I also remember him saying he was targeting Owen Daniels in the fourth who was by far the most productive TE in the draft. All these things make JA look clairvoyant. The article where he kind of second guesses himself take away from that mystique.
Agreed. Although hoping that Daniels would fall to the Bears in the late 4th was just wishful thinking on his part.

KBear
03-06-2007, 10:29 AM
I should also note that I'm not a Danieal Manning fan at all.

I didn't think you were, thats why I brought that up.

bearsfan_51
03-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I didn't think you were, thats why I brought that up.
I really liked Klop pre-draft, so I will hold judgement on him. I never ever like Pope and I feel very strongly that I will be vindicated on that.

#42 I think would have been too much of a reach for Klop though. While it was a small reach for Manning, he was hot on the boards and wouldn't have been there at #57. I guess it comes down to the fact that at least Manning filled more of a need and started the whole season, albeit rather underwhelmingly.

evershot
03-06-2007, 03:20 PM
What are the chances of the Bears moving up during the draft if a highly rated player falls to the 12-15 range? I know 12 is pushing it but the Bears and the Bills have had recent history of working out draft day trades, this trade would work in reverse this time around but that's not my point right now.

My point is if an top ten player falls should the bears attempt to trade up?

KBear
03-06-2007, 05:50 PM
If the right player drops, then yes. But I dont really see any of the top ten player that would interest the Bears dropping far enough for them to trade up and get. Besides, it would cost them several picks of which they could use to obtain quality young players that would be cheaper then free agents.

evershot
03-06-2007, 06:02 PM
If the right player drops, then yes. But I dont really see any of the top ten player that would interest the Bears dropping far enough for them to trade up and get. Besides, it would cost them several picks of which they could use to obtain quality young players that would be cheaper then free agents.

It might only take the 31st and the 37th pick because if they use the draft value chart. 31st= 600 37th=540 which would equal 1140 points which is about the value of the 13th pick. So moving up with only 2 draft picks is very possible.

IBleedNavyandOrange
03-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Jones traded to Jets... Bears move up in 2nd round.

Cedric better be ready.

KBear
03-06-2007, 06:12 PM
It might only take the 31st and the 37th pick because if they use the draft value chart. 31st= 600 37th=540 which would equal 1140 points which is about the value of the 13th pick. So moving up with only 2 draft picks is very possible.

But if a top ten talent falls, I would expect those teams that are picking in the early teens to ask for more, if not just draft the player that fell out of the top ten to begin with.

Bearsfan123
03-07-2007, 10:25 AM
My newest mock. (Tho i need input on my 3rd rd selection as in names that would be there cuz i dont see the guy i pick actually being there)

1st-Justin Blalock G/T
2nd-Zach Miller TE
3rd-Quentin Moses DE
4th-Marcus Thomas DT
5th-Josh Gattis S
6th-Laurent Robinson WR
7th-Tyrone Moss RB
7th-Dashon Goldson CB

KBear
03-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Its a lot of speculation of who would be there in the third round. Someone like Brandon Jackson or James Marten have a good chance of being there, and both seem popular among Bears fans here. Other then that, it would help to know what position you where looking at there.

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure James Marten will be there for us in the 3rd. If we want him, I think we have to somehow deal for a 2nd rounder, either through trading down with one of the firsts, or trading up somehow.

KBear
03-07-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure James Marten will be there for us in the 3rd. If we want him, I think we have to somehow deal for a 2nd rounder, either through trading down with one of the firsts, or trading up somehow.

It does only take one team to draft him, so maybe. Bigger name have fell further then that. I could name off several prospects that might not be there, that does not make his or who evers mock that much more wrong. I know he is no lock for being there, but I still think that there is a good chance that he is.

Bearsfan123
03-07-2007, 11:22 AM
i was thinking DE in third.

NYmoney
03-07-2007, 11:28 AM
i was thinking DE in third.

why???? that might be the deepest position for the entire team.

Bearsfan123
03-07-2007, 11:37 AM
our pass rush is still not the best. And i have a feeling one of our starters wont be returning (its just a gut feeling, no factual proof what so ever) So if we can get a guy like Moses in the third... well id take it with a smile.

KBear
03-07-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm not sure I really like the DE in the third, and the Bears are fairly deep there, so Moses might be the only guy I would take in the third if he falls that far, which is possible. You could also go with Dan Bazuin, but I'm not really sure why you do want to go DE.

bearsfan_51
03-07-2007, 11:43 AM
We won't draft another DE. You only keep three, maybe four if one can play UT like Idonije. There's no point in drafting a player that won't even make the active roster.

Bearsfan123
03-07-2007, 12:53 PM
i dunno, i just have this weird feeling that the Bears are gonna move one of their starting ends...i dunno. Maybe someone slipped somethin in my drink or somethin....lol oh well. Anyway, our needs are

SS
OT
OG
DT-Which i want Marcus Thomas no earlier than the 4th in.
OLB

SFbear
03-07-2007, 01:13 PM
i dunno, i just have this weird feeling that the Bears are gonna move one of their starting ends...i dunno. Maybe someone slipped somethin in my drink or somethin....lol oh well. Anyway, our needs are

SS
OT
OG
DT-Which i want Marcus Thomas no earlier than the 4th in.
OLB

There have been some trade rumors about Ogunleye. That seems strange since Mark Anderson would most likely supplant Brown for starting DE.

regoob2
03-07-2007, 01:41 PM
My newest mock. (Tho i need input on my 3rd rd selection as in names that would be there cuz i dont see the guy i pick actually being there)

1st-Justin Blalock G/T
2nd-Zach Miller TE
3rd-Quentin Moses DE
4th-Marcus Thomas DT
5th-Josh Gattis S
6th-Laurent Robinson WR
7th-Tyrone Moss RB
7th-Dashon Goldson CB

I love this mock, but i think we could trade down from 31 or 37 and still get Zach Miller

Race for the Heisman
03-07-2007, 06:52 PM
I love this mock, but i think we could trade down from 31 or 37 and still get Zach Miller

I agree, it think with the team where it is getting an extra 2nd and 3rd could be a great deal, as there are more than a few solid talents valued at that range; Miller, Staley, Grubbs (perhaps), Rufus Alexander, etc.

evershot
03-07-2007, 10:09 PM

1st-Justin Blalock G/T
2nd-Zach Miller TE
3rd-Quentin Moses DE
4th-Marcus Thomas DT
5th-Josh Gattis S
6th-Laurent Robinson WR
7th-Tyrone Moss RB
7th-Dashon Goldson CB

This would be a solid draft if it went down like this but Marcus Thomas is a big character risk and the only way I see the Bears drafting him would be if Lovie Smith had personally went to the mattresses for him.

regoob2
03-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Do you think Moses could play SLB in a cover 2????

Hurricane Ditka
03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Do you think Moses could play SLB in a cover 2????

Heeaalll No.

regoob2
03-07-2007, 10:33 PM
did he struggle in coverage drills at the senior bowl?

Hurricane Ditka
03-07-2007, 10:44 PM
did he struggle in coverage drills at the senior bowl?
I don't know, but placing him at SAM, would play opposite his strengths.

VoteLynnSwan
03-07-2007, 10:57 PM
yea, he's a passrusher, something our SLB just doesn't do. Plus Moses doesn't have very good timed speed, can't atest to his game speed.

toonsterwu
03-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Was perusing the pro day numbers, and saw Dedrick Harrington. Coming into the year, I was very intrigued by him, but with less time spent watching football, I completely forgot about the guy. But he posted excellent numbers for the size/speed ratio (6'3" close to 250, ran a high 4.6/low 4.7 time, but with the adjust, it's probably more a mid-high 4.7 time). Former safety who has adjusted to linebacker and has a solid game. Will need some more development. If we don't go LB early, I wouldn't mind considering him later as someone that can backup at MIKE and SAM and offer some more size. Could be an intriguing day 2 option.

Also saw Brandon Condren's workout numbers. Much better than I had expected. If we haven't addressed safety, I wouldn't mind looking at him late. Ball instincts are fairly solid in the passing game, with solid effort against the run. I'd take a look at him 6th/7th round.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-11-2007, 03:08 PM
Teddy Ginn Jr is the only player who has a realistic shot at falling that I would personally give up #31 & #37..

Teddy didn't run @ Combine or @ his recent pro day.

Hopefully his stock takes a huge hit with all the other WRs improving there stock.

Would anyone else give up both #31 & #37 for Ginn?

"Chicago, with Nos. 31 and 37, could look to move up to get one of the draft's top receivers, or Miami tight end Greg Olsen."

Someone sent me that earlier.. Uncharacteristic for JA; but he shocks us every year. I don't know why this year would be different.

Hurricane Ditka
03-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Teddy Ginn Jr is the only player who has a realistic shot at falling that I would personally give up #31 & #37..

Teddy didn't run @ Combine or @ his recent pro day.

Hopefully his stock takes a huge hit with all the other WRs improving there stock.

Would anyone else give up both #31 & #37 for Ginn?

"Chicago, with Nos. 31 and 37, could look to move up to get one of the draft's top receivers, or Miami tight end Greg Olsen."

Someone sent me that earlier.. Uncharacteristic for JA; but he shocks us every year. I don't know why this year would be different.
Ginn doesn't provide anything we don't already have. He won't be returning kicks or punts, and he won't provide anything that Berrian, Bradley or Davis can't already.

bearsfan_51
03-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Ginn doesn't provide anything we don't already have. He won't be returning kicks or punts, and he won't provide anything that Berrian, Bradley or Davis can't already.

Riiiiiiiight. You can have your opinions of Ginn, I know he has his doubters, but he has the ability to make plays that only Berrian could even dream of doing.

Hurricane Ditka
03-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Riiiiiiiight. You can have your opinions of Ginn, I know he has his doubters, but he has the ability to make plays that only Berrian could even dream of doing.
Then you can give up just about the whole first day to draft him. That'd be a terrible move.

pellepelle_10
03-11-2007, 04:04 PM

I couldn't agree more. I think Ginn is a great player. If he were around last draft I'd say take him. The only thing is we don't need a small speedster on this team. We don't need a kick or punt returner. We have Hester for that and we have Berrian and Bradley as speedsters. At the wide receiver position we do need depth but we also need a receiver who can consistently run solid routes and catch balls. If he's fast also then so be it. I don't think that should be the top priority, same reason why I think looking at Sidney Rice would be a wasted pick. Muhsin Muhammad isn't getting any younger and it would be nice to have a WR who could fit his shoes. Hell to be honest with you I'd rather prefer a Marty Booker type WR who we know has a little speed and great hands. We need that goto guy who is clutch in a large majority situations. I think Steve Smith and Jason Hill could easily be those guys. Rhema McKnight has been known for running some great routes. If we can get our hands on any of these 3 guys I think we'd be set at the WR position for quite sometime.

pellepelle_10
03-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Then you can give up just about the whole first day to draft him. That'd be a terrible move.

Ginn will be a very good WR in this league but I just don't think he brings the same consistency that a Jason Hill or Steve Smith will. JMO. If I were to take a WR in the first round the only guy I'd consider other than Calvin Johnson would be Robert Meachem. That guys is foreal.

Hurricane Ditka
03-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Ginn will be a very good WR in this league but I just don't think he brings the same consistency that a Jason Hill or Steve Smith will. JMO. If I were to take a WR in the first round the only guy I'd consider other than Calvin Johnson would be Robert Meachem. That guys is foreal.
I'd take Jarrett in a heartbeat. Size, good enough speed, creates match up problems, and has solid hands.

Hurricane Ditka
03-11-2007, 04:39 PM
And Cinco Uno, you're an OSU homer, you don't count, of course you'd want Ginn. But really, and honesty as a wide receiver he doesn't add anything to this team.

bearsfan_51
03-11-2007, 04:46 PM
I didn't say it was a good move. It's a terrible move. But that's not what you said. You said that Ginn wouldn't add to our recieving core, which is incorrect.

And I've already said, I'm really not a fan of Ohio State, I just currently live in Ohio (for a few more months anyway) so I see a lot of them.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Last time I checked 2 people are deep to return kicks.

Hester - Ginn

Punts you can send 2 back there as well.

I think his route running is incredibly under rated and he's going to be a BIG time receiver. Like Steve Smith good.

What has Bradley provided since being drafted? He's shown flashes but has rarely been on the field. We have no idea what he's going to turn out to be. He's more likely to turn out a bust than a good player from what we have seen with his inability to stay on the field. This coming from a huge Mark Bradley fan.

I was absolutely shocked Berrian stayed healthy most of the year last season.. I don't think he can be counted on to play 16 games every year either.

Davis is nothing more than a #3 / #4 WR. Moose IMO is ageing fast, and we don't have a #1 WR on the roster. I think Ginn given time is that guy.

Smokey Joe
03-11-2007, 08:02 PM
The Bears only keep 1 man back on rick returns and it would be stupid to have 2 men deep on punt returns.

Ginn doesn't fit a need at all.

KBear
03-11-2007, 08:40 PM
If Ginn is there at #31, I would draft him, but I would not trade up to get him. And in the very, very small chance the Bears do draft him, they need to find ways to get him some touches. If that means send two people back for punt returns then so be it.

Smokey Joe
03-11-2007, 10:43 PM
If Ginn is there at #31, I would draft him, but I would not trade up to get him. And in the very, very small chance the Bears do draft him, they need to find ways to get him some touches. If that means send two people back for punt returns then so be it.

If he is there at 31, I'd trade down with a team like Tennessee that would need him.

KBear
03-12-2007, 03:04 AM
If he is there at 31, I'd trade down with a team like Tennessee that would need him.

I dont think moving down about 20 spots would be a good idea. Thats is probably too far down.

KBear
03-13-2007, 07:25 AM
In another thread, there was the suggestion of trading Briggs and the #31 pick to the Bills for the 12th pick. not that I think that is going to happen, or that I would even like such a trade, but for those of you who do like the idea to move up that high, who would the Bears target? Okoye? Lynch? Brown?

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 09:01 AM
In another thread, there was the suggestion of trading Briggs and the #31 pick to the Bills for the 12th pick. not that I think that is going to happen, or that I would even like such a trade, but for those of you who do like the idea to move up that high, who would the Bears target? Okoye? Lynch? Brown?

My first choice would be Landry, but he probably wouldn't fall that far so I'd say Okoye or Brown.

VoteLynnSwan
03-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Patrick Willis is another Option...

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Patrick Willis is another Option...

I personally think he's a bit overrated. I'd take him around 18-20 but not 12.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-13-2007, 06:11 PM
I personally think he's a bit overrated. I'd take him around 18-20 but not 12.

I don't like him that much either..

I don't think we will be able to replace Briggs this year with any of the talent in this draft. Last year would have been a good year to get a LBer that class was loaded. I hope JA holds off on the LBer until next years draft. (Keep Briggs)

Also, I read this today thought this was interesting off an ESPN Chat.

jon (chicago): Eric - Did you hear that the Bears are going to trade down, or are you just basing this on the fact they do this every year? (just once I wish they would make a move up instead of down)

SportsNation Eric Edholm: Little of both. The Bears have saved money and found good talent at the top and middle of Round 2, so why not stick with a good formula of success? They have a high 2 now and could trade down from 31 if the right guy isn't there. They were set to take Kelly Jennings last year until a last-minute change of heart. It basically allowed them to take Hester because they added the extra draft pick and made them feel more comfortable about spending a 2 on a return guy. I think Brandon Meriweather is on their list.

Does anyone buy that we were going to take Jennings last year? I don't at all..

Interesting note about Merriweather as well.

Also, in this chat he said Michael Bush is not even a first day pick anymore. Even though he wouldn't necessarily complement Benson I would still rather take him over a Darius Walker/Lorenzo Booker.. Booker was a huge under achiever at FSU; and I don't really like Walker.

#31 - Michael Griffin, DB
#37 - Sidney Rice, WR
#95? - Michael Bush, RB

KBear
03-13-2007, 06:26 PM
I can buy that they were going to take Jennings. Looking back, upgrading the dbs on the team seemed to be a big priority. I believe Angelo even said after the draft that they where looking at Jennings.

And I will not be surprised if the Bears take Meriweather. I cant find it now, but I do believe that I read somewhere that safty is a position that they want to upgrade, and Meriweather should be there and would be good value when the Bears pick.

I'm not sold on Bush as a RB. If he still there in the 4 or 5th round, maybe. But I wouldn't want to spend a day one pick on him.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Angelo has said on numerous occasions that Jennings was their guy untill they signed Ricky Manning Jr. After that they decided to shop the pick. I'm suprised you've never seen that.

Hurricane Ditka
03-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Angelo has said on numerous occasions that Jennings was their guy untill they signed Ricky Manning Jr. After that they decided to shop the pick. I'm suprised you've never seen that.
I didn't hear that. Jennings would have been an awful pick.

SFbear
03-13-2007, 07:51 PM
I didn't hear that. Jennings would have been an awful pick.

It's the first Ive heard of it also. How has Jennings played this year? Thank god we at least we got another defensive back with a girl's name.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 08:12 PM
He has struggled this year, but at the time it would have been a reasonable pick. He was projected as a late 1st (went to Seattle at #31) and we needed a 3rd corner with Azumah retiring.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-13-2007, 09:42 PM
He has struggled this year, but at the time it would have been a reasonable pick. He was projected as a late 1st (went to Seattle at #31) and we needed a 3rd corner with Azumah retiring.

We signed RMJ before the draft.

So, we didn't need a 3rd corner.

That's why it suprised me and I don't believe it.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 09:43 PM
We signed RMJ before the draft.

So, we didn't need a 3rd corner.

That's why it suprised me and I don't believe it.

We signed him like 3 days before the draft, and then traded the picks I think two days before. (Something close to that anyway) We wouldn't have traded the picks without giving up the 3rd for Manning first. They traded them because we got our 3rd corner and because Jerry wanted to make up the pick we lost.

Smokey Joe
03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
We signed him like 3 days before the draft, and then traded the picks I think two days before. (Something close to that anyway) We wouldn't have traded the picks without giving up the 3rd for Manning first. They traded them because we got our 3rd corner and because Jerry wanted to make up the pick we lost.

I am pretty sure the RMJ signing happened about a week-two weeks before the draft, and I am 10000% positive the trade w/ Buffalo happened on draft day...

Hurricane Ditka
03-13-2007, 09:54 PM
We signed Manning at least 2 weeks before the draft. And we traded down on draft day. Had the Steelers not traded up and taken Holmes, I'm almost positive we would have.

Cerni88
03-13-2007, 09:56 PM
How does everyone feel about Brandon Merriweather. What about the possibility of him taking Tillman's spot?

KBear
03-13-2007, 09:57 PM
The Bears signed RMJ to an offer sheet on April 22, and officially signed him on April 25.

KBear
03-13-2007, 09:58 PM
How does everyone feel about Brandon Merriweather. What about the possibility of him taking Tillman's spot?

I dont see the Bears moving him to corner. If they were going to move a safty to corner, it would most likely be Manning.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 10:00 PM
We traded on draft day? It must have been hours before the draft because I remember it happening before it started.

Smokey Joe
03-13-2007, 10:03 PM
We traded on draft day? It must have been hours before the draft because I remember it happening before it started.

Nope... they announced the trade durring our pick. No rumors or anything either, IIRC.

Lay off the reefer 51... that stuff messes w/ your mind.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 10:04 PM
We signed Ricky Manning on April 25. When was the draft?

April 25, 2006 Signed cornerback Ricky Manning Jr., who had been with the Carolina Panthers, to a five-year contract.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Ok so the draft in 2006 was on April 29th. Which is 4 days, not two weeks.

Smokey Joe
03-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Ok so the draft in 2006 was on April 29th. Which is 4 days, not two weeks.
He agreed to terms on the offer sheet on the 13th and officially signed it on the 21st, and he wasn't officially signed to the bears until the 25th. So basically we knew we'd have him for 2 1/2 weeks before the draft.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah, we traded on draft day.

I totally forgot RMJ was a restricted FA. I forgot about the compensation. Good point.

-RMJ signed the offer sheet the 22nd.
-He beat up some nerd @ Denny's the 23rd/24th.
-Carolina declined to match the offer RMJ was officially a Bear the 25th.
-The trade was during our pick. Not before the draft.

Why in gods earth would we move Tillman to safety? He's a good corner. Lay off him a bit.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 10:19 PM
He agreed to terms on the offer sheet on the 13th and officially signed it on the 21st, and he wasn't officially signed to the bears until the 25th. So basically we knew we'd have him for 2 1/2 weeks before the draft.

No. daviuanhdfvjkna dv

Smokey Joe
03-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Hey 51... you better give me some rep points for that ownage! :D

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Hey 51... you better give me some rep points for that ownage! :D
I need documentation before I believe you. The official transactions say that he was offered the deal on the 22nd, and became part of the team on the 25th, thus 4 days before the draft.

Simply talking about signing him doesn't count.

Therefore, the trade was still dependent upon acquiring Ricky Manning, which was not completed untill a few days before the draft, like I said.

I dunno why I thought the trade was a few days prior. I can't find anything to refute or confirm the fact that the trade was at the time of the pick, but as I recall I think you are correct.

Smokey Joe
03-13-2007, 11:45 PM
I need documentation before I believe you. The official transactions say that he was offered the deal on the 22nd, and became part of the team on the 25th, thus 4 days before the draft.

Simply talking about signing him doesn't count.

Therefore, the trade was still dependent upon acquiring Ricky Manning, which was not completed untill a few days before the draft, like I said.

I dunno why I thought the trade was a few days prior. I can't find anything to refute or confirm the fact that the trade was at the time of the pick, but as I recall I think you are correct.

http://www.dabearsblog.com/2006/04/ricky_manning_jr.php

So, it was quite obvious that he would be a Bear.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=139437&page=90

that is the best documentation I could find for the trade down. scroll all the way down...

it is still ownage..

bearsfan_51
03-13-2007, 11:48 PM
I'll give you half ownage, as just because it was speculated doesn't mean it's true.

Plus you still live with your parents. Anyone that still lives with their parents can never attain full ownage.

KBear
03-14-2007, 02:39 AM
Was looking in the online archives, to see when Manning was officially signed. Came across this.

Bears can clear up their DB situation
Click here for complete article
Author: Mike Mulligan, Contributing: Brad Biggs The Chicago Sun-Times
Date: April 21, 2006
Publication: Chicago Sun-Times (IL)
Page: 124
Word Count: 537
Excerpt:
The Bears' offseason plan, including their intentions in the April 29 draft, should become a bit clearer today with a 3 p.m. deadline for extending offer sheets to restricted free agents. The Bears are expected to sign Carolina Panthers cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. to a multiyear deal, which the Panthers would have one week to match. If they decline, they would receive the Bears' third-round draft pick as compensation.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=list&p_topdoc=11

A bit earlier on the page it said that RMJ was in town on the 13th along with Marcedes Lewis. Thats when the specualtion began that the Bears where going to sign him.

Smokey Joe
03-14-2007, 07:25 AM
I'll give you half ownage, as just because it was speculated doesn't mean it's true.

Plus you still live with your parents. Anyone that still lives with their parents can never attain full ownage.

fair enough...

KBear
03-14-2007, 09:52 AM
There was no ownage. RMJ visited with the Bears on April 13, but he did not sign with them until over week later.

Smokey Joe
03-14-2007, 05:56 PM
There was no ownage. RMJ visited with the Bears on April 13, but he did not sign with them until over week later.

It is a draw w/ RMJ because it was obvious he would have signed 2 1/2 weeks before the draft. But it wasn't official until 4 days before the draft.

And I owned him about the draft day trade.

KBear
03-14-2007, 08:44 PM
I cant believe he did not remember the draft day trade with the Bills.

And if IU remember correctly, there was a reason the Bears waited until when they did to extend the offer to RMJ. I beleive it had something to do with giving the panthers less time to match, or something along those lines.

Smokey Joe
03-14-2007, 08:56 PM
I cant believe he did not remember the draft day trade with the Bills.

And if IU remember correctly, there was a reason the Bears waited until when they did to extend the offer to RMJ. I beleive it had something to do with giving the panthers less time to match, or something along those lines.

51 is a douche, what do you expect? :p

sweetness34
03-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Smokey eats monkey balls.

bearsfan_51
03-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Oh yeah?!?!?! Oh yeah?!?!?!? Oh I already brought it!! Sat it on the table!! And opened it up, *****!!!

Smokey Joe
03-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Oh yeah?!?!?! Oh yeah?!?!?!? Oh I already brought it!! Sat it on the table!! And opened it up, *****!!!

you have lost your touch 51....

Smokey Joe
03-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Smokey eats monkey balls.

your mother.

Bearsfan123
03-14-2007, 11:06 PM
oooook, back to the draft. What are we hoping to get for Briggs? A high second with a 4th maybe?