PDA

View Full Version : Cowher... TO PSU?!?!?!

Mr. Stiller
03-04-2008, 01:41 PM
http://www.collegefootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

COULD COWHER COACH PENN STATE?

Former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher is expected to get back in the football coaching game in 2009. Most likely, that would involve working for whatever NFL owner is willing to give him the best combination of multimillion-dollar salary and control over personnel decisions.

But Cowher could also decide to coach in college. And we've heard from some Penn State fans who are extremely excited about the possibility that he could return to Pennsylvania.

The Penn State football web site Laschout.com reported Monday that Cowher was on the campus at Penn State on February 24 and 25, and that he stayed overnight at the home of Athletic Director Tim Curley. And then the site reported today that this real estate listing is for Cowher's home in North Carolina. Might Cowher be putting that home on the market because he plans to be coaching elsewhere 10 months from now?

At this point, it's too early to say. Joe Paterno is 81 years old, and some observers think he's heading into his final season. Then again, "some observers" have thought that for the last decade. But taking over for Paterno would likely be seen as an attractive opportunity for Cowher, and Cowher would definitely be seen as an attractive candidate for Penn State.

Billingsley26
03-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Well, PSU is my school, and I love JoePa. Im not wanting Joe to step down, but whenever he does, I woudl love Cowher in PSU.

Mr. Stiller
03-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Well, PSU is my school, and I love JoePa. Im not wanting Joe to step down, but whenever he does, I woudl love Cowher in PSU.

Cowher would be bringing in recruiting classes on namesake alone.. his philosophies match up perfectly with what Penn State is known for (Physical running game, Game Managing QB's and Great defenses).

Cowher as far as X's/O's in the pro's was iffy, but as a talent developer, I could see him switching PSU to a 3-4 and running a monster defense that could be sending some top tiered players into the league.

Billingsley26
03-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Cowher would be bringing in recruiting classes on namesake alone.. his philosophies match up perfectly with what Penn State is known for (Physical running game, Game Managing QB's and Great defenses).

Cowher as far as X's/O's in the pro's was iffy, but as a talent developer, I could see him switching PSU to a 3-4 and running a monster defense that could be sending some top tiered players into the league.

There is nothing here I disagree with.

LonghornsLegend
03-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Interesting, I just felt he would get more money in the nfl and have a chance to win another super bowl, ive never thought about the possibility of him in college...Besides I really thought he wanted to stay in the same area he's at now, what if the Charlotte job opens? That seems more attractive to coach at home on a team with alot of talent.

Billingsley26
03-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Interesting, I just felt he would get more money in the nfl and have a chance to win another super bowl, ive never thought about the possibility of him in college...Besides I really thought he wanted to stay in the same area he's at now, what if the Charlotte job opens? That seems more attractive to coach at home on a team with alot of talent.

Well, there were rumours flying around a year ago about him going to NC State werent there?

Geo
03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
That would be great for Penn State and great for Cowher. I'd like to see it.

Although Schiano would be sad, lol.

OregonDucks
03-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Now this would be cool. I think cowher would lead that team well. Hope it actually happens tho.

BaLLiN
03-04-2008, 07:12 PM
wow, this would be really good for PSU, was Cower previously a college head coach before the steelers?

vidae
03-04-2008, 07:50 PM
That's a bit of a shocker to be honest but Cowher would be great for Penn State football, no doubt in my mind.

Thunder&Lightning
03-04-2008, 09:10 PM
that would be sweet would have to think he would bring in a lot more recruits. As legendary as petrino is i think his time has come to hang em up.

bearsfan_51
03-04-2008, 09:25 PM
That would be pretty neat.

awfullyquiet
03-04-2008, 09:35 PM
that would be sweet would have to think he would bring in a lot more recruits. As legendary as petrino is i think his time has come to hang em up.

It'd continue the legend i think.

Mr. Stiller
03-05-2008, 09:26 AM
wow, this would be really good for PSU, was Cower previously a college head coach before the steelers?

If I have my facts straight.. he went UDFA LB to Philly(79), Then the Browns for 3 years, then traded back to Philly for 2 years.

In 1985 after he decided to stop playing he was hired as the ST Coach by Marty Schottenheimer in Cleveland.

Schotty went to KC in 1989 and Brought Cowher in as his coordinator.

In 1992 he became HC of the Steelers.

The rest as they say, is history.

SMoore
03-06-2008, 09:24 AM
i think cowher would be a great replacement for joepa...as a penn state fan i'm worried about the state of the program once joe leaves and i think getting a big-name coach would help bring in big-time recruits

NIN1984
03-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I would really miss Joe Paterno but this would be great hire for psu.

03-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Cowher has accomplished pretty much everything you could ask for in the pros so I believe he sees this as an opportunity to further extend his legacy in the state of Pennsylvania. No doubt in my mind Penn St. would soon become a football powerhouse and begin seriously contending for some of the country's best recruits. It's time for JoePa to go now.

YAYareaRB
03-06-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't even like Penn State but I'm excited to see if this had any truth to it. I like JoePa and I know it's weird to like him and not Penn St. because he IS Penn State lol. Cowher is one of my favorite coaches. He would definitely have Penn State in top form after a couple seasons.

ammandss
03-06-2008, 12:38 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/rumors/post/Cowher-puts-down-Penn-State-rumors?urn=ncaaf,70142

Apparently, Cowher is moving 2 miles from his house currently on sale.

As for Cowher staying at Curley's... well, a bunch of news outlets and forum are suggesting that Cowher's daughter Lindsey is considering going to Penn State.

However, even though I hate Penn State (too many PSU friends and they steal Virginia's recruits) seeing Cowher there would be intriguing.

DeathbyStat
03-06-2008, 12:48 PM

wow i go to penn state and this would be great.

I think he would be an even better college coach than a pro coach because of the iffy X's and O"s

Plus all he would need to recruit would be to pull out his super bowl ring.

Shane P. Hallam
03-06-2008, 01:45 PM
If it happens, it would have to be next year and I dobut they force JoePa out. I say it doesn't.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
03-06-2008, 02:13 PM
If it happens, it would have to be next year and I dobut they force JoePa out. I say it doesn't.

they kind of forced out Bowden at FSU so it could happen with Paterno as well.

Shane P. Hallam
03-06-2008, 03:07 PM
But Bowden is still coaching. He isn't even gone.

If JoePa does leave and Tom Bradley doesn't become the coach, it is a travesty. Bradley should sign on to head coach the first Big Ten team to open up and whoop on PSU after that.

reigle9
03-06-2008, 03:47 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/rumors/post/Cowher-puts-down-Penn-State-rumors?urn=ncaaf,70142

Apparently, Cowher is moving 2 miles from his house currently on sale.

Thread should have ended here. Yahoo and the site the OP linked got it from Laschout who are a few guys that have connections to the program. I have no doubt BC stayed at Curley's house, but it's not known why at this time. That story seemed to give a lot of fans hope after it was noticed BC's house was for sale, but it died down after Cowher himself said he was only moving 2 miles away.

Vikes99ej
03-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I thought Greg Schiano was a shoe-in for this job after Paterno left?

skarocksoi
03-06-2008, 07:46 PM
No doubt Cowher would pretty much lock down recruiting in western PA, but if Tom Bradley doesnt get the job it would be a travesty like JBond said. Bradley pretty much runs the day to day stuff already and is a major part of recruiting and Im pretty sure they plan on him succeeding Joepa when he retires. He goes on most of the recruiting visits with Joe so when he retires, players have someone else they are familiar with.

Shane P. Hallam
03-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Only problem is they keep hinting at other guys in the back door. Schiano, etc.

LonghornsLegend
03-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Did Schiano ever come out and say he wanted this job, or is everyone assuming he's going to take it when Joe Pa leaves like everyone assumed Les Miles was going to Michigan to take over after Lloyd Carr, and obviously that didnt happen...

Shane P. Hallam
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
LSU>Rutgers