PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Chargers Mock

SDSupaChargers
03-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Here is my dream for the Chargers on draft day. What would your ideal Chargers' draft look like?

With Pick #27 the San Diego Super Chargers select: Branden Albert, OG, UVa
Round 4 (comp. for Donnie Edwards, possibly a 5th rounder) - Dre Moore, NT, Maryland (or Ahtyba Rubin, NT, Iowa St.)
Round 5 - Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia
Round 6 - Jonathan Hefney, S, Tennessee (assuming Oliver stays at CB, if not the pick would be Marcus Walker, CB, Oklahoma)
Round 7 - Tim Hightower, RB, Richmond

Let me know what you think!

Thunder&Lightning
03-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Here is my dream for the Chargers on draft day. What would your ideal Chargers' draft look like?

Round 4 (comp. for Donnie Edwards, possibly a 5th rounder) - Dre Moore, NT, Maryland (or Ahtyba Rubin, NT, Iowa St.)
Round 6 - Marcus Walker, CB, Oklahoma (assuming Oliver moves to safety, if not the pick would be Jonathan Hefney, S, Tennessee)

not a fan of there 1st pick.

defensiveback23
03-06-2008, 05:14 PM

Round 6 - Marcus Walker, CB, Oklahoma (assuming Oliver moves to safety, if not the pick would be Jonathan Hefney, S, Tennessee)

I hate to rip a fellow Chargers fan mock but I'm not a fan of it.

1st pick: The Chargers have been grooming Mruczkowski to take over at OG for Goff and just re-signed him to an extension. Maybe Albert can play OT but I don't think we go OL in the 1st unless there is no DB worth the pick. I think a trade down is more likely in that case also.

2nd pick: I would be surprised if either player is available that late and there are more pressing needs anyway.

3rd pick: The team really likes Pinnock and the FB position is being phased out of the offense anyway.

4th pick: Can't really knock either one of your possible selections this late in the draft but there is a virtually 0% chance we wait until the 6th round to select a DB. There's no way they wait that long to address the most pressing need.

5th pick: I have no idea who this guy is other than the fact he is a big back. I think we address this need much earlier.

KRS1
03-06-2008, 06:20 PM
I hate to rip a fellow Chargers fan mock but I'm not a fan of it.

1st pick: The Chargers have been grooming Mruczkowski to take over at OG for Goff and just re-signed him to an extension. Maybe Albert can play OT but I don't think we go OL in the 1st unless there is no DB worth the pick. I think a trade down is more likely in that case also.

2nd pick: I would be surprised if either player is available that late and there are more pressing needs anyway.

3rd pick: The team really likes Pinnock and the FB position is being phased out of the offense anyway.

4th pick: Can't really knock either one of your possible selections this late in the draft but there is a virtually 0% chance we wait until the 6th round to select a DB. There's no way they wait that long to address the most pressing need.

5th pick: I have no idea who this guy is other than the fact he is a big back. I think we address this need much earlier.

You are pretty much spot on but I think Clary is the guy that takes over for Goff and not Mruczkowski. I think in this draft or next years they pick up the future RT. Clary was the backup at Guard until they tried him out at tackle when Olivea starting sucking.

It's really hard to come up with an accurate mock for the Chargers this year because of the lack of picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. They are basically going to be forced to look at who falls to the 4th and beyond and we honestly have no idea who those guys may be. The first 3 rounds are usually guys that are above avg. college players so we all have basically seen these guys. Basically it's hard to determine or rank players in the back end of the draft without real scouting reports and I don't think any of us have those.

defensiveback23
03-06-2008, 06:39 PM
You are pretty much spot on but I think Clary is the guy that takes over for Goff and not Mruczkowski. I think in this draft or next years they pick up the future RT. Clary was the backup at Guard until they tried him out at tackle when Olivea starting sucking.

It's really hard to come up with an accurate mock for the Chargers this year because of the lack of picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. They are basically going to be forced to look at who falls to the 4th and beyond and we honestly have no idea who those guys may be. The first 3 rounds are usually guys that are above avg. college players so we all have basically seen these guys. Basically it's hard to determine or rank players in the back end of the draft without real scouting reports and I don't think any of us have those.

I agree, I think we'll draft a stud RT at some point and I think they'll have a stiff competition between Clary and Mruczkowski for Goff's job. But as of right now Mruczkowski is pegged as the future replacement with Clary as the starter at RT.

The Chargers are probably the hardest team to project in the draft. I think there is an extremely high likelihood we trade down and pick up a 2nd and 3rd which makes the speculation that much more difficult.

DonWoods33
03-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Oliver adds twist to Chargers' secondary

March 7, 2008

Although Antonio Cromartie’s barnstorming season is the primary reason former Chargers CB Drayton Florence is now earning his paycheck in Jacksonville, the potential the Bolts see in Paul Oliver affirmed the notion that Florence was expendable. The 5-10, 195-pound Oliver didn’t see any action as a rookie in 2007, but that hardly means that the Chargers regret parting ways with a fourth-round pick to take him in last season’s supplemental draft. His “redshirting” was primarily a function of a deep Chargers secondary. Now, with Florence and starting S Marlon McCree gone, Oliver looks to be a viable option for the nickel and dime, as well as quality insurance should Cromartie or Quentin Jammer go down with injury. However, there’s a lingering concern regarding his ability to grasp the defensive scheme. Expected to be one of the top cornerbacks in college football entering his senior season at Georgia, he opted to enter the supplemental draft after being declared academically ineligible — a fact that spurred the rumor that his lack of rookie playing time was in part because of his slow digestion of the playbook.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/San+Diego/WWHI/2008/wwhi030708.htm

It looks like they like Oliver at CB not safety as reported before. So they could go in any number of directions. Here's to Kenny Phillips falling.

SDSupaChargers
03-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all your feed back everyone. I was out of town for the past couple of days so sorry I have not responded sooner. As for the criticisms I'd like to answer all of them, I hope. First of all I listed Albert as a OG because that was his position in college. He is amazing athletic and has huge potential at tackle so I think that we would move him to tackle. But the great thing about Albert is that he can play either G or T so it gives us some options. I would also be happy with Cherilus or Otah/Clady if they somehow drop. I'm not a big fan of Chris Williams or Carl Nicks though. I really don't see Clary as a good starter for years to come. In fact I think he is in the position we most need to upgrade, hence the pick. As for the 4th round pick, I don't think it's unrealistic for either of those guys to be there in the 4th round. They are both mid-round guys so late 3rd to 5th should be where they go. The Owen Schmitt pick I understand your criticism but he is such a mauler and so good that he could pave the way for LT for years to come. Pinnock is ok but I don't think he's the next Lo Neal either. Having a good fullback is so important, and I don't think that the offense will be as successful if we minimize/eliminate the significance of a strong fullback. I also think that Schmitt would be great value if he was there in the 5th. 6th round is obviously just DB depth, which is all I think we need for now at DB. We have our starters, we only need some solid players to fill in if they get hurt. Finally, we get a bruiser to help back up LT along with Sproles. He's a big back who can get the tough yards between the tackles, which is what we really need after losing Turner. I don't think we need to spend an early pick just to find a hard nosed between the tackle back (Turner was drafted in the 5th). Hightower would get the job done along with Sproles and Germaine Race.

UncleHulka
03-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I, too, hope they look at Schmitt. He just looks like a mean SOB. Like they kept him caged until gametime. I'm not a Pinnock fan and there are not too many good blocking FB's in this draft and on paper Schmitt seems the best suited for that role.

Add me to the list hoping for DB to be addressed in the first. The Chargers are one injury away from really hurting there.

My semi-mock right now would be:
(1)
Kenny Phillips
Reggie Smith
(4)
Tashard Choice
(5)
Owen Schmitt

After that, it's just about impossible to project anything, but if rb isn't addressed earlier, then I'd like to see them take a flier on Calvin Dawson out of UL-Monroe around the end of the draft.

If they trade down out of the first, I wouldn't mind Matt Forte if he's there in the 3rd. He impressed the hell out of me against LSU. And he might eliminate the need to draft a FB.