QB - Brett Favre
DT - Warren Sapp
ST - Morten Anderson
DE - Bryant Young

Possiable Michael Strahan
Possiable Junior Seau
Possiable Larry Allen

who else may make it?
who are some people who reitred in 2007?

just wondering who do you think the class may look like

JT Jag
03-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Morten Anderson won't make it on the first ballet. I'm willing to bet money on this.

Giantsfan1080
03-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Did Junior Seau retire or did he re-sign with the Pats?

The Legend
03-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Morten Anderson won't make it on the first ballet. I'm willing to bet money on this.

yeah just listing chances

bigmac076
03-05-2008, 11:20 AM
does anyone have a site for year by year (2009-2014) eligable finalists?

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2008, 11:24 AM
That would be very nice.

EvilMonkey
03-05-2008, 11:26 AM
some of the upcoming guys i know off the top of my head. Think i have the retirement years right...

2009- Rod Woodson, Bruce Smith, Shannon Sharpe
2010- Emmitt Smith, Tim Brown
2011- Deion Sanders, Jerome Bettis, Jerry Rice, Marshall Faulk

princefielder28
03-05-2008, 11:28 AM
2011 could be quite the class

bigmac076
03-05-2008, 11:30 AM
I thought Emmitt and Jerry were together in 2010, I am going to that one for sure.

Jughead10
03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
2011 could be quite the class

Bettis is not getting in on the first shot. At least I pray he doesn't.

Shane P. Hallam
03-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Bettis is not getting in on the first shot. At least I pray he doesn't.

Bettis will.

I think Favre, Sapp and Seau all get in.

Geo
03-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Curtis Martin is also eligible starting in 2011. Neither he nor Bettis make it first-ballot, Marshall Faulk is the definite at runningback, plus they will likely cannabalize each other in terms of the voters.

Shane P. Hallam
03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't think Bettis should get in really, but he will first ballot, don't worry.

Woody56
03-05-2008, 12:16 PM
some of the upcoming guys i know off the top of my head. Think i have the retirement years right...

2009- Rod Woodson, Bruce Smith, Shannon Sharpe
2010- Emmitt Smith, Tim Brown
2011- Deion Sanders, Jerome Bettis, Jerry Rice, Marshall Faulk

Forgot for the 09 class, IMO the greatest ever to play his position, John Randle.

The Legend
03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
when Willie Roaf Tackle of the Chiefs?
also did Larry Allen Retire?

bigmac076
03-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Larry Allen and Brett Favre would both be 2013

Jay
03-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Curtis Martin is also eligible starting in 2011. Neither he nor Bettis make it first-ballot, Marshall Faulk is the definite at runningback, plus they will likely cannabalize each other in terms of the voters.

Well it's not like voters can only vote for one guy:

The Selection Committee then meets the day before each Super Bowl game to elect a new class. To be elected, a finalist must receive at least 80 percent support from the Board, with at least four, but no more than seven, candidates being elected annually. If no candidate gets 80 percent, then the top four vote-getters will get in that year. If more than seven get 80 percent, then only the top seven vote-getters will be inducted.

So up to seven guys can go every year... so theorhetically they just need to be one of the seven people to get 80% of the votes...

The Legend
03-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Larry Allen and Brett Favre would both be 2013

did he offically retire?

Mr. Stiller
03-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm hoping Dermontti Dawson gets in by then.

BamaFalcon59
03-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Morten Anderson might end up in a Falcons uniform once again this year if we do not solve the kicking problem.

bam bam
03-05-2008, 05:50 PM
probably Ogden too

bantx
03-05-2008, 06:02 PM
lorenzo neal deserves it

kmartin575
03-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Will Shields, although he might be the year before.

Bluedevil$
03-05-2008, 06:44 PM

Martin deserves first-ballot. He's the fourth in career rushing yards and carries an impressive record in 10 straight 1,000+ yard rushing seasons. The argument that he doesn't have a 'signature moment' is bogus... it's about the body of work.

Bluedevil$
03-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Anyways, I agree with alot of the names mentioned. Iknow he's been a finalist in years past, but I believe the late Derrick Thomas should also get in soon.

scottyboy
03-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Strahan no doubt, if he retires that is

The Legend
03-05-2008, 07:44 PM
QB - Brett Favre
DT - Warren Sapp
FB - Lorenzo Neal
DE - Michael Strahan
LB - Junior Seau
OG - Larry Allen
OT - Jonathan Odgen

T-RICH49
03-05-2008, 08:33 PM
when Willie Roaf Tackle of the Chiefs?
also did Larry Allen Retire?

IIRC Roaf retired in 2007 but maybe someone can correct me on that

LonghornsLegend
03-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Deion, Marshall, and Jerry Rice in the same class? Wow...Cant wait for that to roll around.

bored of education
03-05-2008, 08:38 PM
If Derrick Thomas is not in the HoF by then I will kill myself.

DaBear89
03-05-2008, 10:25 PM
^ditto for Richard Dent

BlindSite
03-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Rod Smith?

Jughead10
03-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Martin deserves first-ballot. He's the fourth in career rushing yards and carries an impressive record in 10 straight 1,000+ yard rushing seasons. The argument that he doesn't have a 'signature moment' is bogus... it's about the body of work.

It isn't bogus. It is a legit argument. Curtis Martin just never got hurt. That is why he rushed for so much. His career ypc isn't very impressive and at no time in his career was he ever a top 3 RB in the game.

bucpimpin
03-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Mike Alstott

boknows34
03-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Jerry Rice is 2010 with Emmitt. His last season was 2004 and he retired while at camp with Denver just before the 2005 season.

2009: Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe, John Randle.

2010: Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Tim Brown, Aeneas Williams, Gary Anderson.

2011: Deion Sanders, Curtis Martin, Marshall Faulk, Jerome Bettis, Willie Roaf.

2012: Will Shields.

2013: Brett Favre, Larry Allen, Warren Sapp, Bryant Young.

Wait and see: Junior Seau, Orlando Pace, Jon Ogden, Michael Strahan, Morten Andersen.

The Legend
03-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Mike Alstott

not even a chance but was a great person/player

Gay Ork Wang
03-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Keyshawn 2012?

robswinga
03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
It isn't bogus. It is a legit argument. Curtis Martin just never got hurt. That is why he rushed for so much. His career ypc isn't very impressive and at no time in his career was he ever a top 3 RB in the game.

And Jerome Bettis was? (dont know ur specific opinion on if JB should make it in or not). The fact that Curtis Martin stayed healthy for most of his career is a testament to the type of football player he is(particularly when you consider that he was labeled "injury prone" coming out of Pittsburgh. It seems that there are quite a few players who make it into the HOF based on being consistently good, over a long period of time (Art Monk comes to mind). ANd the fact that he wasnt in the top 3-5 at his position doesnt say much, considering he was playing alongside a few all time greats during his career.

Jughead10
03-06-2008, 12:02 PM
And Jerome Bettis was? (dont know ur specific opinion on if JB should make it in or not). The fact that Curtis Martin stayed healthy for most of his career is a testament to the type of football player he is(particularly when you consider that he was labeled "injury prone" coming out of Pittsburgh. It seems that there are quite a few players who make it into the HOF based on being consistently good, over a long period of time (Art Monk comes to mind). ANd the fact that he wasnt in the top 3-5 at his position doesnt say much, considering he was playing alongside a few all time greats during his career.

I acutally said earlier in the thread I pray Bettis doesn't get in on the first shot. I also don't think Art Monk should have ever made it. We are starting to water down the HOF.

Vikes99ej
03-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Keyshawn 2012?

I wouldn't give him any chance at all.

The Legend
03-06-2008, 12:10 PM
I acutally said earlier in the thread I pray Bettis doesn't get in on the first shot. I also don't think Art Monk should have ever made it. We are starting to water down the HOF.

Hall of Fame is starting to mean less and less, soon if you win a award
your going to go into the hall of fame

Finsfan79
03-07-2008, 08:28 AM

it is the same arguement they will use against Zach Thomas

Both should be in

Jughead10
03-07-2008, 08:38 AM
it is the same arguement they will use against Zach Thomas

Both should be in

Although I'd say at their peaks Zach was more dominant at his position than Curtis was.

jth1331
03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Hall of Fame is starting to mean less and less, soon if you win a award
your going to go into the hall of fame

I feel the same way, and proven guys like Gradishar, Derrick Thomas, Cris Carter get passed for joke guys.
This is the Hall of FAME, not Hall of Very Good

Martin and Bettis were BOTH very good, but neither are deserving of the HoF IMO. ESPECIALLY Bettis, but he will get in because of his later seasons push and getting that Super Bowl victory thanks to the refs. Martin was never a top RB IMO, and is like Monk. Both decent guys who played for a long time to pile up the stats, but never really "struck fear" into the defenses.

Jughead10
03-07-2008, 12:50 PM
I feel the same way, and proven guys like Gradishar, Derrick Thomas, Cris Carter get passed for joke guys.
This is the Hall of FAME, not Hall of Very Good

Martin and Bettis were BOTH very good, but neither are deserving of the HoF IMO. ESPECIALLY Bettis, but he will get in because of his later seasons push and getting that Super Bowl victory thanks to the refs. Martin was never a top RB IMO, and is like Monk. Both decent guys who played for a long time to pile up the stats, but never really "struck fear" into the defenses.

Agreed. I have no idea how Gradishar didn't get in this year. He should be in. I can see making Derrick Thomas wait a bit longer. Carter I guess should have been a first ballot but I have no problem making him wait one more year. The only problem I had was Monk getting in and Carter not.

Turtlepower
03-07-2008, 01:03 PM
When would Parcells be eligible for the hall? He probably deserves it more than most people in there.

Geo
03-07-2008, 02:00 PM
That's the problem with letting Monk into the Hall of Fame. It's opened the door to players like Bettis and Martin.

EvilMonkey
03-07-2008, 02:00 PM
yeah the new era of running backs is tough to project. I think Martin and Bettis will eventually get in, but hopefully not first-ballot.

The more he plays at such a high level, the better his chances, but Fred Taylor could be in the same boat in the future too due to the whole "never one of the top 3 RB in the NFL arguement." If he can go another 2 years over 1000 yards it definately helps his case, but i cant say for sure he isnt a guy who was just very, very good for a long time, not necessarily one of the greatest.

Geo
03-07-2008, 02:03 PM
I like Freddie T a great deal, but he doesn't belong in the Hall. He was never among the best runningbacks of his era imo, but he's been an exceptional pro and will stand as one of the greats in Jags franchise history.

I don't think Bettis belongs either, at all. Curtis Martin is borderline imo, and I might lean towards yes. At this moment, anyway.

Jughead10
03-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Wasn't this just Taylor's first pro bowl?

EvilMonkey
03-07-2008, 02:06 PM
That's the problem with letting Monk into the Hall of Fame. It's opened the door to players like Bettis and Martin.

yeah, Monk getting in is pretty ridiculous in my mind. Yeah it was a different era I guess, but he was a solid reciever who got a lot of catches, not a lot more. No offense to anyone who loves him or anything, but 68 TDs in 16 career years doesnt scream hall of fame to me...

robswinga
03-07-2008, 02:42 PM
To those who use the "top 3-5" at their position argument, how exactly would that be determined? Do they have to be tops at their position for a certain amount of years? If thats the case, then Terrell Davis deserves mention. I guess its some special combination of being among the best at your position, along with a certain amount of longevity in your carerer.

I do agree with those who say that the HOF is becoming watered down.

Jughead10
03-07-2008, 02:47 PM
To those who use the "top 3-5" at their position argument, how exactly would that be determined? Do they have to be tops at their position for a certain amount of years? If thats the case, then Terrell Davis deserves mention. I guess its some special combination of being among the best at your position, along with a certain amount of longevity in your carerer.

I agree your career needs some longevity but you also need to be legitimately great at some point of it. A lot of people point to Gale Sayers. Someone who was absolutely amazing for 4 seasons, but thats about it. He didn't have longevity, but still got in.

BlindSite
03-07-2008, 07:51 PM

He was the leading Rusher in 04 and had solid seasons year in and year out.

IMO he's not a Steve Smith type game changer, but not every player is supposed to be.

Any running back who is able to go year in and year out and give an offense 1000+ yards is what you'd call very good.

But to do so for 11 years is pretty damn good, especially when he averaged 8+ TDs per year.

I think he deserves to be in the HOF for the reason that he's a blue collar player who while didn't change the game contributed more to his signature franchise than other guys in the hall.

Vikes99ej
03-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Wasn't this just Taylor's first pro bowl?

Yes, and he got in because someone ahead of him was injured.

jth1331
03-07-2008, 08:21 PM

I may sound like a Broncos homer here, but IMO, TD deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. He was an absolute beast at RB for 4 years, winning a MVP, Super Bowl MVP and All Pro honors.
I think a bigger question mark may be Priest Holmes, because when he was healthy, he was a fricken beast that dominated.

He was the leading Rusher in 04 and had solid seasons year in and year out.

IMO he's not a Steve Smith type game changer, but not every player is supposed to be.

Any running back who is able to go year in and year out and give an offense 1000+ yards is what you'd call very good.

But to do so for 11 years is pretty damn good, especially when he averaged 8+ TDs per year.

I think he deserves to be in the HOF for the reason that he's a blue collar player who while didn't change the game contributed more to his signature franchise than other guys in the hall.

1,000 yards now a days is overrated. I mean, look at some of the guys who have accumulated 10,000 career rushing yards. Warrick Dunn, Eddie George, Fred Taylor, all decent guys, but come on, they aren't anything special.
Martin had great durability and longevity, but I just don't think he was "greatness".

TheBuffaloBills
03-08-2008, 11:36 PM
IMO Seau and Thomas dont belong in the Hall of Fame, and I am not just saying that because I am a Bills fan.