PDA

View Full Version : Virginia's Disasterous Offseason

ammandss
03-05-2008, 12:58 PM
First it was Branden Albert leaving early for the draft. Then it was Coach London moving to take over the Richmond program, and with it two lost commits. Then Jameel Sewell, Chris Cook and a couple other players get the boot for academic reasons. Next was Jeffrey Fitzgerald, which was quite unexpected and hurts. The Chris Cook loss wasn't too bad since Virginia is pretty deep at CB, but here is the new news out...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/03/AR2008030302650.html

Losing Mike Brown hurts. Virginia still has Ras-I Dowling and Vic Hall. Hopefully, Trey Womack, Chase Minnifield and Mike Parker come along in their progression to help out. This is not looking good for the defense.

etk
03-05-2008, 08:03 PM
I can't say I pity Virginia right now.....nope, not at all. I've broken enough remotes over them that they owe this to me.

toonsterwu
03-05-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm not too worried about the secondary, to be honest.

It's definitely been an awful offseason for the Wahoos, though.

That said, on paper, we should still have a shot at a winning season (now, I'm not projecting anything crazy, 6-7 wins, if lucky, 8). The run game should be there, we'll have a better passing game with Lalich over Sewell alone, along with the return of Ogletree.

Defensively, we'll have Nick Jenkins in there, which will be nice to get an anchor. The LB's return as well, and we've gor enough young secondary pieces for me to feel alright with them despite the loss of Cook (not important) and Brown (somewhat important).

Of course, the one loss that hurt the most ... was Albert. Sure, we'll still have one of the better tackle tandems in the country, but having to replace three interior players bites. Slebonick and Milstead will probably get spots. Not sure about the last one. With Albert, there was the makings of a strong OL to pair with the run game.

Bad, bad offseason.

ammandss
03-06-2008, 08:38 AM
I think Jack Shields will be the center this upcoming season. I think he was the long snapper last year, and I've read some promising stuff about him. I just hope Lalich performs under pressure. But it is definitely exciting to see a good aerial attack after a few years. Also, I think it is more suited to Mike Groh's coaching style. Little Groh tried to copy Prince's offense that was massively run dominated with simple run lefts and rights with pulling guards and it just wasn't the same. I'm looking forward to some deeping and more consistent passing with Lalich and M. Groh together.

thebow305
03-07-2008, 01:28 PM
They deserve it for what they did to us in our last game at the OB!

What goes around comes around... I can't wait til we return the favor this year! :p

etk
03-07-2008, 02:27 PM
They deserve it for what they did to us in our last game at the OB!

What goes around comes around... I can't wait til we return the favor this year! :p

First we smash the "Cool"turds in the Swamp, then we worry about revenge.

toonsterwu
03-07-2008, 02:31 PM
I think Jack Shields will be the center this upcoming season. I think he was the long snapper last year, and I've read some promising stuff about him. I just hope Lalich performs under pressure. But it is definitely exciting to see a good aerial attack after a few years. Also, I think it is more suited to Mike Groh's coaching style. Little Groh tried to copy Prince's offense that was massively run dominated with simple run lefts and rights with pulling guards and it just wasn't the same. I'm looking forward to some deeping and more consistent passing with Lalich and M. Groh together.

While I'm not huge on Mike Groh's OC abilities, I do have to cut him some slack. Jameel wasn't exactly the best passing QB and he had to fit his offense around Jameel's skillset.

I like Shields, but eh ... he's what, 6'4" 280? I'd like to get a beefy center in there to help with the run game.

etk
03-07-2008, 02:33 PM
One question toonster.....how you gonna block Allen Bailey? :D

SeanTaylorRIP
03-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Also news that Keith Payne might leave school, Fitzgerald hurts like hell, I saw him as a potential top 15 pick in the next couple of years.

vatech=accdomination
03-07-2008, 05:13 PM
you can reload in recruiting next year, VT only has 12 scholarships. I wont count UVa out though, anyone can be good on any given day, and Lalich will be better at throwing than Sewell imo.

ammandss
03-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Also news that Keith Payne might leave school, Fitzgerald hurts like hell, I saw him as a potential top 15 pick in the next couple of years.

Keith Payne is not that bad of a loss either with Peerman, Pearman and Simpson (if in fact he does leave). Virginia's first three recruits for next year are all RBs too. Last year they got Max Milien who should be ok. However, after hearing about how great the Payne Train was on the practice squad a year ago, it would be nice to see that come to fruition in the games.

ammandss
03-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Where did you hear about Keith Payne?

ammandss
04-01-2008, 12:58 PM
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/032008/03222008/365458

Looks like Andrew Pearman is out too. Also, the articel says Shields is up to 289 pounds now.

Xiomera
04-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Virginia gets its own thread to discuss offseason diaster?

Michigan ought to get an entire forum to ponder the losses we have suffered by comparison to UVA. haha

Hokie_Pokie08
04-01-2008, 02:43 PM
j'courtney williams charged with one count of credit card theft and one count of credit card fraud. and the hits keep coming for uva this offseason. on the bright side this moves uva closer to the top of the standings for the fulmer cup.

http://www.charlottesvillenewsplex.tv/sports/headlines/17192711.html

toonsterwu
04-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Hmm, didn't realize this thread was still around.

Payne was rumored to have academic difficulties. Not a big loss if he leaves as the RB charts were filled (Peerman/Simpson, with Jackson as short yardage. Max Millen could also come into play, and with several potential RB options in line next year, along with Torrey Mack this past year, depth chart is fine).

Pearman leaving isn't a big deal. Just never acclimated.

J'Courtney's issue is a bit more disconcerting. I could see this leading to him leaving or being forced out. Groh's tried hard to clean up the program a bit. It's not an impact on next year (he wasn't going to win a starting job).

Also, there was good article the other day about how UVA might not be able to recruit a huge class. I'll try to dig it up at some point, but the UVA roster is actually packed in the lower levels, and unless defections occur, we might only be able to take 18. Of course, at this rate, we'll probably free up some spaces.

marks01234
04-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Sounds like J'Courtney's gone.

Toon, if UVA struggles, does Groh get the boot this year?

toonsterwu
04-02-2008, 12:36 PM
What's struggle? Sub-.500 record ... yes, I think Groh could get the boot. If he qualifies for a bowl game, gut instinct is that he stays on, as we've got a fairly young program.

VAfy-ya
04-13-2008, 10:56 AM
This off-season by far, has literally all but killed my hope for next year. If you don't count the lost of the seniors and Albert, on paper, I thought we could actually contend for a ACC title in '08. We had Sewell, who even though not the best pocket passer, but a guy who would be entering his junior year with a full off-season to improve(he had surgery on his throwing wrist last year and it hampered him from getting good reps in the summer and one of the reason he struggled early on in the year). You had Fitz, ready to inherit the throne as the next big thing on the D-Line. And we had major depth in the secondary(our weakness on defense in '07) with CB Cook(who was rumored to be switching to FS and what a great move that would have been, IMO), a underrated CB Mike Brown, and a improving CB Vic Hall to go along with young studs like S Mike Parker, CB Ras-I Dowling, and CB Trey Womack......a good mixture of underclassmen and 2-3 year starters. But now Fitz, Brown, Cook, Sewell, are all out, then we lose the star recruit from last year class(J'Courtney, how stupid can you be!) and one of our best coaches and definitely our best in-state recruiter in Mike London. So no we have a big ? at QB, OL, DL, and the secondary. And a lot of young guys will probably have to burn their red-shirts instead of having that extra year to bulk up and get acclimated. And to top it all off, we open the season at home, on nationally television with USC. I shudder to think of what what Sarkisian and Carroll are cooking up for us........