PDA

View Full Version : Faneca offered only 1M More to leave....

Mr. Stiller
03-06-2008, 01:24 AM
FANECA SIMPLY WANTED OUT?

In response to our item from earlier in the day regarding the question of whether a decision by Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to accept a slightly smaller deal could have enabled the team to bridge the gap between the best offer made by the Steelers to guard Alan Faneca and the proposal he accepted in New York, a source with knowledge of the situation tells us that the Steelers offered Faneca only $1 million less over the first three years than what he'll make with the New York Jets.

"He wanted out," the source said.

Perhaps Faneca's desire to flee came from the team's refusal to give him a raise last year, when seven-year, $49 million contracts were being thrown around like Frisbees at a Frolf tournament, which then made Faneca decide that he would play anywhere but in Pittsburgh in 2008.

So maybe it wouldn't have mattered if the Steelers had been able to come up with a little bit more.

brat316
03-06-2008, 01:28 AM
He probably would have ended up staying if he knew what he knows now. Hell if everyone is getting 7 years I want some of that. But after he was deined I guess he was like i am out pc. If he knew he was only going to take 1 mill less to stay with us, he probably would have. Also if he would have went back on his word he would have look like a bitc.

S4L
03-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Source would be nice, since posting articles without links is strictly against the rules.

SmarterThanU
03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
He's old and can't pass block to save his life. I'm sick of us over paying linemen just to let good skill players leave. We over paid enough for that waste of space Simmons. I mean almost five million a year for a guy that gets beat on almost every play. Horrible. If we would of used that money to pay Faceca I would of been fine but I think Ben earned his big pay day and should be happy with it.

mikehop05
03-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Source would be nice, since posting articles without links is strictly against the rules.

its from pft

Smooth Criminal
03-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Im more than willing to bet that Faneca leaving is more about Whis/Grimm not getting the job than money. He definately wasn't giving us any hometown discount and he knew he wasn't going to get overpaid by us.

If Whish or Grimm had been head coach and offered the same deal that they offered to him this year he would be a Steeler.

Bluedevil$
03-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Hopefully this puts to bed the myth that "the Steelers know when to get rid of their players".

There certainly is a double-standard. If Pittsburgh had resigned him for that kind of money, I doubt many would have had a problem with it.

mikehop05
03-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Hopefully this puts to bed the myth that "the Steelers know when to get rid of their players".

There certainly is a double-standard. If Pittsburgh had resigned him for that kind of money, I doubt many would have had a problem with it.

i would have a had a problem with it...

hes over the hill, if he was 27 and wanted that kind of money i would be all for it... but he just isnt the same guy he once was

dont get me wrong he is still a good player and will help you all tremendously but hes not worth that kind of money... especially when the steelers didnt have much to throw around

Mr. Stiller
03-09-2008, 07:31 PM

I would've.

Read any of the posts from this season. I've said it quite a few times he wasn't worth the money.

The last guy we didn't get rid of in time was Jason Gildon. Before that I don't know.