PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Suggs files grievance over Ravens

LonghornsLegend
03-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I remember some people on here were asking(as well as myself) how do you know what position a guy would be tagged at, he obviously plays both, and no one was really sure how they decided, well obviously the Ravens picked the cheaper of the two(linebacker) and he's not happy about it...

Is there some sort of rule that says you have to tag a guy at a certain position he lines up at more or is it at the teams discretion.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravens0305,0,5134849.story?track=rss

MasterShake
03-06-2008, 06:38 PM
It's BS that they tagged him as a LB...he is a pass rusher and should be paid as one....which is a DE, plus he lines up at DE more often then LB. He should be pissed, the Ravens are trying to rob him.

Cashmoney
03-06-2008, 06:40 PM
This could get ugly.

Primetime21
03-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Man would have been a great move for the Ravens if Suggs/ his agent didnt catch it. I cant think of this ever happening before has it?

no love
03-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Man would have been a great move for the Ravens if Suggs/ his agent didnt catch it. I cant think of this ever happening before has it?

TO's agent actually forgot to file papers for him to void his contract with the 49ers and become a free agent. Eventually he just filed a grievance and forced a trade to the eagles for a whole lot of garbage. Then he proceeded to try and wreck McNabb and the eagles organization.

I guess thats karma for you. =/

litlharsh
03-06-2008, 06:47 PM
haha, is there ANY chance dude's a Raven next year?

no love
03-06-2008, 07:05 PM

They should really hope Gholston falls to them, so they can trade Suggs.

Well they are going to have to cut at least a few people to get under the cap. A top ten pick is going to require a lot of money, last years #8 pick got 5 years $31 million. It is going to take AT LEAST 10% more than that...

It's all good. The 49ers will give any former ravens a contract if the price is right.

JagHombre22
03-06-2008, 07:13 PM
I really hope the Jaguars at least inquire about his services and what it would take to get him...

Yung Flippa
03-06-2008, 07:19 PM
They should really hope Gholston falls to them, so they can trade Suggs.

Well they are going to have to cut at least a few people to get under the cap. A top ten pick is going to require a lot of money, last years #8 pick got 5 years $31 million. It is going to take AT LEAST 10% more than that...

It's all good. The 49ers will give any former ravens a contract if the price is right.

For real, The Niners LOVE taking our leftovers.

bored of education
03-06-2008, 07:21 PM
What a *****

roidrunner
03-06-2008, 07:21 PM
i heard that he wants to go to the AZ cards. What i heard is that he wants to go home.

LonghornsLegend
03-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I want to see him stay in a 3-4 scheme so I can see him at OLB rushing the passer, and at DE, he can do either or which is going to make him a very rich man when he leaves...

Also he's shorted 800k+ by being tagged a lb, thats alot of money considering he's going to see all that this year, id be pissed too.

bigbluedefense
03-06-2008, 08:00 PM
i love tsizzle, but i was disappointed in the year he had. why did he have such a crappy year? what gives? didn't see that coming from him.

WMD
03-06-2008, 08:23 PM
TO's agent actually forgot to file papers for him to void his contract with the 49ers and become a free agent. Eventually he just filed a grievance and forced a trade to the eagles for a whole lot of garbage. Then he proceeded to try and wreck McNabb and the eagles organization.

I guess thats karma for you. =/

For a few minutes, he was traded to the Ravens.. and then he filed the grievance. But yeah, he eventually got what he wanted..

LonghornsLegend
03-06-2008, 08:39 PM
For a few minutes, he was traded to the Ravens.. and then he filed the grievance. But yeah, he eventually got what he wanted..

Wow I almost forgot that he was a member of the Ravens briefly, wonder how that would of panned out lol.

niel89
03-06-2008, 09:13 PM

yeah there is still a very good chance. both sides have good points on this. i dont think there is any great animosity over this issue its just a little snag at this point.

The Legend
03-06-2008, 09:26 PM
i have to disagree neil i dont think Ravens have a good point on this

A Perfect Score
03-06-2008, 09:29 PM
im sure this wil blow over...the ravens will give, and suggs will get his extra money, and eh will either be signed to a long term extension or be traded...i would love to see him in a ravens uni for years, hes one of best players and is still very young at 24...i just hope this all works out

bigbluedefense
03-06-2008, 09:33 PM
i have to disagree neil i dont think Ravens have a good point on this

it'll be ok. look at Briggs. his situation was even uglier than this, and he signed back.

money talks. Suggs will play for whoever gives him the most money with his upcoming contract.

TimD
03-06-2008, 09:38 PM

Hm maybe the Jets will get him. Ya never know they are buying everything up

The Legend
03-06-2008, 09:43 PM
it'll be ok. look at Briggs. his situation was even uglier than this, and he signed back.

money talks. Suggs will play for whoever gives him the most money with his upcoming contract.

i dont see this as a problem, im just saying that Suggs is in no way at fault for ask for grievance

money talks says it perfect

BigDawg819
03-06-2008, 09:47 PM
i heard that he wants to go to the AZ cards. What i heard is that he wants to go home.

He said that to an ASU paper while attending an ASU/AU basketball not to mention he's from Arizona. This is the biggest bunch of bs from this offseason. He loves Baltimore and wants to stay in Baltimore. He filed this grievance because while he's listed as an outside linebacker, he played a majority of his snaps as a Defensive End. He's going to win this and frankly he should since the team used him more as a DE then a LB. To answer BBD about him having a crappy year, he's always excelled with a complimentary player taking extra blockers so he can exploit one on one coverage. He had his outstanding rookie campaign with Peter Boulware taking the extra blocker and the year before this past one opposing offenses had to worry about Trevor Pryce and Bart Scott so Sizzle got more one on one opportunities. Basically the reason for his crappy year was the loss of Pryce to injury, Scott's complete disappearance from the defense and the loss of Adalius Thomas.

thebow305
03-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Any chance he's a Miami Dolphin next year? :o

I wouldnt mind doing a swap of first rounders, and maybe throw in some other consolation. That's something to think about I guess. That way we could get Cromartie too! :D and the Ravens could take their choice of Chris Long, Jake Long, Matt Ryan, or Vernon Gholston at #1.

Getting Terrell Suggs and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie out of the 1st round would be NAUGHTY!

brat316
03-06-2008, 11:52 PM
If the fitz deal gets done he could go to the Cards.

BigDawg819
03-07-2008, 04:58 AM
If the fitz deal gets done he could go to the Cards.

NO HE WON'T!

skinzzfan25
03-07-2008, 01:40 PM
How about take the LB and DL and use the average?

Lol, I know it sounds pretty simple, but why not?

roidrunner
03-07-2008, 01:46 PM
i still think it is a possibility. he loves az. and it is hard to say no to home.

BigDawg819
03-07-2008, 06:50 PM
i still think it is a possibility. he loves az. and it is hard to say no to home.

Right because why would he want to stay with a franchise that pays its young stars and oh yeah has actually made the playoffs in the last decade.... :rolleyes:

BlindSite
03-07-2008, 07:18 PM
I think that the ravens should trade him...

To the panthers.

BigDawg819
03-07-2008, 07:30 PM
I think that the ravens should trade him...

To the panthers.

We give you Suggs you give us Peppers. DEAL!

BlindSite
03-07-2008, 07:33 PM
You can have Gamble and a 3rd, we can have Suggs and Landry

BigDawg819
03-07-2008, 07:38 PM
You can have Gamble and a 3rd, we can have Suggs and Landry

You have obviously gone off the deep end with that ridiculous offer.

BlindSite
03-07-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm not thinking straight I had to change my sig today.

energizerbunny
03-10-2008, 05:33 PM
This is a question for the hardcore Ravens fans..

what happened to Suggs last year? was he banged up or what? why did he have such a poor season? And its not just stats wise either, because I watched 3 or 4 Ravens games last season and he just seemed non-existant.

badgerbacker
03-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Right because why would he want to stay with a franchise that pays its young stars and oh yeah has actually made the playoffs in the last decade.... :rolleyes:Haha isn't he filing a grievance because the Ravens AREN'T paying him what he thinks he deserves? Anyway, I don't know Suggs personally and I don't think any of us do, so I don't think we should be saying where he wants to play unless he has come out and said it.

BigDawg819
03-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Haha isn't he filing a grievance because the Ravens AREN'T paying him what he thinks he deserves? Anyway, I don't know Suggs personally and I don't think any of us do, so I don't think we should be saying where he wants to play unless he has come out and said it.

He's only said that he wants to be a Baltimore Raven for the entire season. Nice try.

BigDawg819
03-10-2008, 07:00 PM
This is a question for the hardcore Ravens fans..

what happened to Suggs last year? was he banged up or what? why did he have such a poor season? And its not just stats wise either, because I watched 3 or 4 Ravens games last season and he just seemed non-existant.

I addressed this on the first page of this thread.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-10-2008, 07:38 PM
i love tsizzle, but i was disappointed in the year he had. why did he have such a crappy year? what gives? didn't see that coming from him.

I concur. I'm a big fan and was dissapointed.

yourfavestoner
03-10-2008, 08:36 PM
He's only said that he wants to be a Baltimore Raven for the entire season. Nice try.

You mean he wants to be a Baltimore Raven as long as they pay him what he thinks he is worth. Every player says that.

BigDawg819
03-10-2008, 08:52 PM
You mean he wants to be a Baltimore Raven as long as they pay him what he thinks he is worth. Every player says that.

Suggs said. "I'm disappointed because I really wanted a long-term deal, and I think I earned it. But this also keeps me in a Ravens uniform, and this is just another way of eventually getting it done.

"I'm a Raven at heart. That's my identity," Suggs said. "I started my career here in Baltimore and want to end it here in Baltimore."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.preston19feb19,0,6203209.column

Not my words, Suggs' words.

yourfavestoner
03-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Suggs said. "I'm disappointed because I really wanted a long-term deal, and I think I earned it. But this also keeps me in a Ravens uniform, and this is just another way of eventually getting it done.

"I'm a Raven at heart. That's my identity," Suggs said. "I started my career here in Baltimore and want to end it here in Baltimore."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.preston19feb19,0,6203209.column

Not my words, Suggs' words.

If I had a nickel for every time a player said that and ended up changing teams, I'd be a millionaire. I'm not trying to pick on you, or the Ravens, or Suggs, but you've just gotta understand that him being a Raven is not as important to him as money. It's professional football, a business. It's all about the money.

Look at it from the other side too. Lance Briggs stated that he could never play for the Chicago Bears again. Look now: they ponied up the cash and he's happily a Bear again.

Geo
03-10-2008, 09:00 PM
I agree, Suggs is fair game once he hits the open market. And he's likely gone.

But the Ravens have at least one year to get him signed long-term, unless they are not willing to pay what it will cost to do so. Sucker-punching him with this franchise tag BS doesn't help any.

LonghornsLegend
03-10-2008, 09:02 PM
If I had a nickel for every time a player said that and ended up changing teams, I'd be a millionaire. I'm not trying to pick on you, or the Ravens, or Suggs, but you've just gotta understand that him being a Raven is not as important to him as money. It's professional football, a business. It's all about the money.

Look at it from the other side too. Lance Briggs stated that he could never play for the Chicago Bears again. Look now: they ponied up the cash and he's happily a Bear again.

Pretty much, guys say they want to stay because its the right thing to say, but money talks, and actions speak louder then words...Suggs wont stay in Baltimore if he isnt paid properly, if he hits the market he will be the highest paid defensive player ever at that point and im sure he knows it.

yourfavestoner
03-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Baltimore should just do the smart thing and cut Ray Lewis' old ass to make the necessary cap room for Suggs.

BigDawg819
03-10-2008, 09:16 PM

Wow way to bring a tired out point to an argument. No **** its about the money, and wait he'll get paid by the Ravens. Just like Ray did, and Reed, and Heap, and CMac (after being tagged twice), etc etc. Why do you think Adalius Thomas was allowed to walk to New England? Yup because we needed to resign Suggs. Right now we're tight against the cap and thats why there's an issue with the the tag status. They'll let Suggs play this year under the tag and if he produces he'll get paid.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Baltimore should just do the smart thing and cut Ray Lewis' old ass to make the necessary cap room for Suggs.

ooooooo

*dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!*

yourfavestoner
03-10-2008, 09:33 PM
ooooooo

*dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!*

http://www.sportscity.com/NFL/Baltimore-Ravens-Salaries

Dude had a $10 million salary last year according to that. That's not justifiable by any means. It's a young man's game, and Lewis gets older and worse as his salary goes up.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2008, 09:37 PM
http://www.sportscity.com/NFL/Baltimore-Ravens-Salaries

Dude had a $10 million salary last year according to that. That's not justifiable by any means. It's a young man's game, and Lewis gets older and worse as his salary goes up.

thats going to be very very interesting. the backlash will be huge, but somethings gotta give. i can see them reworking his contract. ray won't be too thrilled about that, but if he won't restructure, then theyll probably cut him and someone will overpay for him somewhere.

it will be weird seeing him in a different jersey. but thats just how it is these days. its almost impossible to stay in the same uniform your whole career.

Ravens1991
03-13-2008, 01:41 PM
If Ry Lewis leaves the majority of Baltimore will cry like a baby. Hopefully we can restructure it because he is still real good but not at the top of his game and that is a ton of $.

LonghornsLegend
03-13-2008, 01:44 PM
If Ry Lewis leaves the majority of Baltimore will cry like a baby. Hopefully we can restructure it because he is still real good but not at the top of his game and that is a ton of $.

I would of taken him this off season over Zach Thomas without flinching, i think if you have talent around him he's still a beast, and he puts that emotion into the defense that alot of guys cant do.

fenikz
03-13-2008, 01:53 PM

Basically it's only a matter of time until T-Sizzle comes back to AZ, He loves it here(who doesn't) plus the Ravens are a sinking ship and the the Cardinals actually have a shot to make the playoffs

BigDawg819
03-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Basically it's only a matter of time until T-Sizzle comes back to AZ, He loves it here(who doesn't) plus the Ravens are a sinking ship and the the Cardinals actually have a shot to make the playoffs

Yeah right! The Cardinals aren't a contender for the playoffs until they actually can make it. That or every other team in the NFC gets contracted. I'm tired of this nonsense every offseason about how the Cards are going to break out and every year they suck again. Suggs isn't going there because he's happy where he is, you know a team that can get to playoffs more then once a millenium.

LonghornsLegend
05-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Looks like Suggs issue is settled, at least for the short term

The Ravens agreed Tuesday to designate Terrell Suggs their franchise "defensive end-linebacker."

Suggs challenged his franchise "linebacker" tag in early March because he took more snaps at defensive end in 2007. A franchise linebacker would make $8.065 million, whereas a franchise DE would make $8.879 million. GM Ozzie Newsome and agent Gary Wichard agreed to create a hybrid position for Suggs and he'll reportedly get around $8.5 million this year
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3394771

Looks like they agreed on a "hybrid" position tag for him that sets him somewhere in the middle, I wouldnt be surprised to see this alot from 3-4 tweeners.

Next step is his long term deal, and unless they want to seriously pay him he probably walks.