PDA

View Full Version : Dan Morgan signs with the Saints

TigerBait45
03-06-2008, 07:35 PM
http://www.carolinagrowl.com/Read.aspx?Story=526

I'm rather "meh" about this. If he stays healthy he'll be a contributer, but the problem is that he won't stay healthy.

JPLUFF
03-06-2008, 07:38 PM
They signing every injured linebacker they can?

Also, why can't Detroit get any of these guys?

BaLLiN
03-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Well now Vilma and Morgan are reunited i think.. I know both went to the U. I think this is a nice move, he could do well as a good backup/possible starter.

LonghornsLegend
03-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Dont both guys play Mike?

KCJ58
03-06-2008, 07:42 PM
do you guys still draft Rivers?

TigerBait45
03-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Morgan has been a Mike for his entire career but they're apparently going to slot him at the Weakside spot.

As for Rivers..I don't know. I think we'll just sit back and hopefully let Sedrick Ellis or Glenn Dorsey fall to 10. If they're not there, they may well trade back and pick up some extra picks.

I'd like to see them trade down and take Rogers-Cromartie or something.

SaintsFanForLife
03-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Morgan will play weakside in place of Shanle I like this move and yes I would still like to take Rivers. But it looks like we will take a CB IMO.

bigbluedefense
03-06-2008, 07:55 PM
oh nooo....i hope he doesn't get hurt, particular another concussion.

just let it go Dan. your life is more important.

Thunder&Lightning
03-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Ya doubt they will go LB inthe draft now. They have clearly addressed the need of LB. CB is the next need.

bigbluedefense
03-06-2008, 08:19 PM
theyd be foolish to pass on Rivers. im an advocate of implementing the Tampa 2 in NO, and having Vilma, Rivers, Smith and Grant on the dline would give them a formidable Tampa 2 front 7.

They already have 1 CB thats a Tampa 2 guy. Now draft another Tampa 2 CB in a later round, draft Laws as your penetrator up the gut, and poof, you got yourself a pretty good Tampa 2 defense in one offseason.

Splat
I hope he can stay on the field he is one heck of a player when he does play.

Flyboy
Purely a depth signing. Nothing more.

Flyboy
03-06-2008, 08:20 PM
theyd be foolish to pass on Rivers. im an advocate of implementing the Tampa 2 in NO, and having Vilma, Rivers, Smith and Grant on the dline would give them a formidable Tampa 2 front 7.

They already have 1 CB thats a Tampa 2 guy. Now draft another Tampa 2 CB in a later round, draft Laws as your penetrator up the gut, and poof, you got yourself a pretty good Tampa 2 defense in one offseason.

That's not going to happen anytime soon with Gary Gibbs at the helm.

bigbluedefense
03-06-2008, 08:22 PM
That's not going to happen anytime soon with Gary Gibbs at the helm.

but it makes perfect sense. you know much better the Saints will be with this change? that simple offseason blueprint will make them serious contenders.

WMD
03-06-2008, 08:25 PM

I'm glad we didn't land Dan Morgan..The only thing he would've brought to us is an eventual 10 minute game stoppage because he suffered another concussion.

no love
03-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Good signing. I have been an advocate of moving Morgan from the middle and away from the trash. The more he minimizes contact, the better off he will be. I still wouldn't bet on him being healthy though. Really too bad, bc he was a great player before injuries.

Flyboy
03-06-2008, 08:59 PM
theyd be foolish to pass on Rivers.

I like Rivers. I really do, but I think with the addition of Vilma & Morgan and resigning Mark Simeoneau, the FO is content with the depth and players. I'm an advocate for Rivers at 10, though. We really want a DT and wanting Ellis or Dorsey and I hear we're willing to trade up to land either of them so that would be my first guess. My second guess is that if none is there we're going to target a CB. If we're not enamored with the CBs (Jenkins, McKelvin or DRC) then it becomes BPA excluding QB. Don't be surprised to see us take Ryan Clady, but I get the feeling we're going to add Rashard Mendenhall.

P-L
03-06-2008, 09:12 PM

Did you really want him? I mean, he'll probably play 3-4 games max...

Flyboy
03-06-2008, 09:14 PM

I doubt he makes it out of training camp...

YAYareaRB
03-06-2008, 09:16 PM
If they could find the D-Line they could have a pretty good 3-4 Defense. But that's pretty far from reality. Did they sign Morgan for insurance/depth purposes because he's been pretty banged up himself.

Smith - Vilma - Morgan - Grant

bigbluedefense
03-06-2008, 09:16 PM
I like Rivers. I really do, but I think with the addition of Vilma & Morgan and resigning Mark Simeoneau, the FO is content with the depth and players. I'm an advocate for Rivers at 10, though. We really want a DT and wanting Ellis or Dorsey and I hear we're willing to trade up to land either of them so that would be my first guess. My second guess is that if none is there we're going to target a CB. If we're not enamored with the CBs (Jenkins, McKelvin or DRC) then it becomes BPA excluding QB. Don't be surprised to see us take Ryan Clady, but I get the feeling we're going to add Rashard Mendenhall.

its just real hard to have so much money invested in the offense, and also try to build a conventional 4-3 defense on the other side thats good enough to win a championship with.

usually the blueprint for teams built on offense is to compliment that with a cheap effective Tampa 2. I think the Saints are making a mistake trying to mix and match parts on defense. Thats what has been holding the Bengals back for so long now. No direction on defense.

Theyre really not that far off. They can really make a nice Tampa 2 with one offseason. A simple mock off the top of my head

1. Rivers
2. Laws
3. Best available CB that slipped

that right there gives them a solid Tampa 2 to build off of. You have the ends, youd have the LBs, with Laws youd have a decent 1,2 DT punch, and you'd have the CBs.

Flyboy
03-06-2008, 09:18 PM
You're preaching to the choir here, bbd.

bigbluedefense
03-06-2008, 09:30 PM
You're preaching to the choir here, bbd.

let's call Payton and make it happen. lol :)

if you think about it, even if they took that approach without having the Tampa 2 in mind, it would still be a pretty good idea.

this draft is built for NO to really address some issues...if they handle it appropriately.

even their "offensive" issues, like RB and OT.

SaintsMan
03-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Rivers is a late first round pick at best.

Flyboy
03-06-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm telling you, bbd. We're taking Mendenhall at 10. You heard it here first.

WMD
03-06-2008, 10:06 PM

You sure about that?

Number 10
03-06-2008, 10:20 PM

Wait, what?

diabsoule
03-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Even as depth, I don't like the signing. The guy can't stay healthy and from a purely health stand point I don't think he should play again.

I also don't think we take Rivers, although we would be foolish not to. I think Mendenhall is a possiblity, the same with Ryan Clady, or DeSean Jackson.

We need CB help, and your right, BBD, we have a decent Tampa 2 guy in David, and I think that Usama Young and Randall *** could fit in that system as well.

The problem is, and will always be as long as he's here, Gary Gibbs. He is, in my opinion, one of the worst D Coordinators in the league.

SaintsMan
03-06-2008, 11:03 PM
He is not a playmaker and lacks instincts. This would be a horrible pick for the Saints and far from the best player available.

SaintsFanForLife
03-07-2008, 07:01 AM
I'm telling you, bbd. We're taking Mendenhall at 10. You heard it here first.

Why not...I would be happy with it....

Dam8610
03-07-2008, 08:15 AM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that has noticed that the Saints have been picking up an inordinate amount of Tampa 2 talent lately, yet they're not trying to run it.

GermanSaint
03-07-2008, 08:59 AM
will have a brian simmons like impact.
another washed up LB getting older and was released by a team because of non-production , but the saints are all over him.

Why not...I would be happy with it....

very much money invested in the RB without run blocking and without a defense.... i wouldn´t be to much positive if this happen

SaintsFanForLife
03-07-2008, 09:08 AM
I still support this move. I think if healthy Morgan will help out alot. The guy can play I think alot of people forget that. And playing weakside the contact should not be as bad or as often. I will support this move I like Morgan..

JPLUFF
03-07-2008, 09:46 AM

It's more that I knew we expressed interest in him, and would just like us to sign somebody this offseason that isn't a safety or a backup TE. At the same time I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him if the price was right.

RAZERSAINTS
03-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Morgan is a great person to have around good player great leader. And give the guy a chance if he stays healthy man he could be great...I like the move...

portermvp84
03-07-2008, 11:46 AM
I think thats just what the Saints needed. Major concerns to his health status though.

Dam8610
03-07-2008, 12:15 PM
The problem is, and will always be as long as he's here, Gary Gibbs. He is, in my opinion, one of the worst D Coordinators in the league.

Ron Meeks isn't a good defensive coordinator and he won a championship with the Tampa 2...

BlindSite
03-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Bye bye dan.

Flyboy
05-19-2008, 05:30 PM
I doubt he makes it out of training camp...

I was sorta right (http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/05/morgan_announces_retirement.html).

SaintsFanForLife
05-19-2008, 06:00 PM
I wanted to see him play in black and gold. Too bad.

terribletowel39
05-19-2008, 06:03 PM
I wanted to see him play in black and gold of the South. Too bad.
There fixed it for ya. I got confused the way you had it.

Vikes99ej
05-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Good for him. Stop now before he does anymore damage to his body.

Xonraider
05-19-2008, 06:46 PM
In case people were wondering:

Saints | Morgan retires
Mon, 19 May 2008 16:22:32 -0700

Tom Planchet, of WWLTV.com, reports the New Orleans Saints announced Monday, May 19, LB Dan Morgan has decided to retire.

Hwoarang
05-19-2008, 06:51 PM
He's only like 28 he has a lot left in the tank.

terribletowel39
05-19-2008, 06:53 PM
He's only like 28 he has a lot left in the tank.
He might but his body doesn't. He has taken enough of a beaten.

SaintsMan
05-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm ok with Shanle at WLB. We need to sign another LB to battle him for the spot though. I wish Thurman wasn't such a head case.

SaintsFanForLife
05-19-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm ok with Shanle at WLB. We need to sign another LB to battle him for the spot though. I wish Thurman wasn't such a head case.

I do not like Shanle at all. I hope we dont have to start him again this year. We need help on the weak side.

SaintsMan
05-19-2008, 07:03 PM
I do not like Shanle at all. I hope we dont have to start him again this year. We need help on the weak side.

He's a decent player, high character and knows the system. I wouldn't cry if Shanle started, but I agree, we are in need of a upgrade and hopefully it happens sooner rather than later.

I think our only options right now are Odell Thurman, Takeo Spikes or trading for a LB.

TimD
05-19-2008, 07:25 PM
edit: nevermind

d34ng3l021
05-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Good decision on his part. Wouldnt want too much long term damage to him.

Geo
05-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Sad that a career of a great talent had to prematurely end, but in this case it wasn't injury to the body, rather injury to the brain. Which might be even more scary and debilitating down the line, making this move a right one by Morgan.

BlindSite
05-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Its a shame its not an official record but his SB performance has to be one of the most amazing in the last decade.

xooberon
05-20-2008, 10:31 AM
thanks for everything dan!