PDA

View Full Version : First Mock of the year

gonzo1105
03-07-2008, 12:42 AM
I am going by what I believe will be the results come draft day not what they are like currently, so if there are any really weird picks in anyone's opinion it is based on draft day not current positioning of players. No trades.

1ST ROUND
1. Miami Dolphins- Vernon Gholston DE/OLB Ohio St
- Gholston and Long had very solid combines but knowing Parcells past, the more dynamic of the playmakers would have to be in his thinking. Gholston would be another DeMarcus Ware type and while Long fits the scheme in Miami as a 3-4 end, 3-4 ends can be easier plugged in than that of a skilled pass rushing OLB

2. St. Louis Rams- Jake Long OT Michigan
-With the way this team is headed it could go in many different directions but with them spending last years first rounder on Adam Carriker, spending another pick on the DL so early would be putting too much money into one area. Long would easily slide in as a RT as a rookie and eventually with some work would take over the LT spot.

3. Atlanta Falcons- Matt Ryan QB Boston College
- Sorry Falcons fans I even think this is too early for Ryan who I believe will be a very average QB in the league. The problem is that unless they get a veteran through trade they are stuck with Chris Redman as their starting Qb and that just doesn't bode well for this franchise. Plus QB's stock rise the closer draft day approaches.

4. Oakland Raiders- Darren McFadden RB Arkansas
- The Raiders have spent a lot of money to resign Tommy Kelly and DT is still an option but with JaMarcus Russell getting his first real chance as the starter, it is apparent that they are trying to surround him with as many weapons as possible. This is clearly shown by the overpaying of Javon Walker who is comign off a knee injury. Does anyone think that Justin Farges will ever be a true feature back.

5. Kansas City Chiefs- Ryan Clady OT Boise State
- What used to be a very strong part of this team has slowly deteriorated as players have retired or left to go other places. Clady, who I believe is a reach at this point, would make sense to the depleted KC offensive line and would be much like the Levi Brown selection that the Arizona Cardinals made.

6. New York Jets- Chris Long DE Virginia
- The Jets are trying to tighten up that 3-4 defense and as stated in the first pick Long is the perfect choice for this team. Long will bring versatility and will be strong in run support for a team that needs all the help they can get. They have had an above average offseason and continue with a strong start to the draft.

7. New England Patriots (from San Francisco 49ers) Derrick Harvey DE/OLB Florida
- This was a very difficult pick and I thought about it for many minutes. Harvey who has bulked up to 270 is another hybrid much like Gholston. Obviously Gholston would be the better pick and the Pats do need some secondary help but at this point, I just dont see a CB that fits the zone style that the Pats use fitting in here that isn't a reach.

8. Baltimore Ravens- Dominique Rodgers- Cromartie CB Tennessee State
- I honestly believe that after all is said and done Cromartie will be the top DB taken in the draft. The Ravens defense has been solid for so long but is slowly starting to give way. The Ravens really need help on offense especially at QB and WR but none of them are really worth taking at this point.

9. Cincinnati Bengals- Sedrick Ellis DT USC
- Apparently the Bengals are having just a little bit of trouble trading for a DT in the open market. They have failed on Robertson and Rogers and are showing their desperation for a force in the middle. Ellis, I believe when all is said and done, will be the # 1 DT prospect on the board and would make an excellent selection for the Bengals.

10. New Orleans Saints- Glenn Dorsey DT LSU
- Dorsey once regarded as the top DT in this years draft, has seen his stock start slipping lately and with the needs of other teams he drops to # 10. The Saints have restored their LB core with the additions of Dan Morgan and John Vilma and add a wide body from the home state in Dorsey who is too good to pass up. CB is also a need but Dorsey falls into their lap.

11. Buffalo Bills- Limas Sweed WR Texas
- The Bills are looking for a big target in hopes of slotting him across from Lee Evans. The Bills are apparently close to signing Bryant Johnson but honestly I think that this wouldn't affect this decision too much as having weapons such as Sweed, Evans, and Johnson would form a formidable WR trio in the AFC. Sweed would also give the Bills another target for young QB Trent Edwards.

12. Denver Broncos- Kenny Phillips S Miami
- While the Broncos have a great pair of CB's in Bailey and Bly they really are struggling at the Safety position. Lynch is an old guy at SS and no one is really manning the FS spot that Phillips would step into. The broncos had a need at LB but with the signing of Boss Bailey from Detroit, Phillips made the most sense out of the group left.

13. Carolina Panthers- Jeff Otah OT Pittsburgh
The Panthers last year got manhandled up front last year and with solid OT options all across the board the Panthers step in and take the Pitt player with their first selection. Otah will probably be a RT starting out in the league but could be another one that eventually gets moved to the left side.

14. Chicago Bears- Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois
They appear set on giving Rex Grossman one more chance in Chicago. Another collassal failure up to this point has been RB Cedric Benson. The man has just not gotten it done for a team that is supposed to be pased around a power running attack. This is where Mendenhall comes in with his blend of speed and power and would be an excellent addition to the Bears.

15. Detroit Lions- Keith Rivers LB USC
LB's tend to drop in the draft and that is seen by the drop by Rivers who actually would make a perfect fit for the Detroit Lions as pick # 15. He would replace Boss Bailey on the weakside of their cover 2 defense and I believe would be an immediate upgrade over the inconsistent Boss Bailey.

16. Arizona Cardinals- Leodis McKelvin CB Troy
- The Cardinals have a strong up and coming team but their choice of Antrel Rolle was one that was a mistake. He has never lived up to potential as a CB and the move to Safety was really a necessity. Some believe that McKelvin is the top CB in the draft and would provide strong value at this point for the Cards.

17. Minnesota Vikings- Phillip Merling DE Clemson
- The Vikings are in desperate need of help at DE and with Udeze out and James pretty much in bust mode they search for their next future D-lineman out of college. Merling is a solid DE that will probably be a LE in the NFL and is a solid Run defender as well as pass rusher.

18. Houston Texans- Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt
This team has big needs in certain areas but Williams is the best option at a position of need for the Texans. Williams would provide an immediate upgrade on their offensive line and should be a solid performer right from the get go.

19. Philadelphia Eagles- Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma
- The eagles have seemed to be searching for WR's for the longest time and while Reggie Brown is a solid performer they dont have much besides him. The Eagles would be pleasantly surprised to see such as talent like Kelly fall into their laps at this point.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Mike Jenkins CB USF
Jenkins is a solid and physical CB who would fill the Bucs cover 2 scheme perfectly. They have other needs but Jenkins provides really good value at a need position and could be a starter in year 1. He is also a local boy.

21. Washington Redskins- James Hardy WR Indiana
- Hardy's stock has to of risen as of late for such a big WR running a fast time at the combine. The Redskins need a big possession WR to go across from Santana Moss and they dont get much bigger than James Hardy.

22. Dallas Cowboys (from Cleveland Browns)- Felix Jones RB Arkansas
- While I think that Stewart is the better RB, the Cowboys already have a power back in Marion Barber and need a RB who can provide the lightning part of the equation which is where Jones comes in. Jerry Jones is also a Arkansas Alum so that definetely doesn't hurt.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers- Gosder Cherilus OT Boston College
- Man if your a steelers fan you have to love this pick. Even if you dont like the pick you have to love the man. Cherilus is a mammoth smashmouth type of player that wants to run people over and thats what the Steelers are all about. Cherilus would fit in quite nicely with this team.

24. Tennessee Titans- Kentwan Balmer DT North Carolina
- Balmer could fit right in with this Titans team. The team has a need on the defensive line especially at defensive end and even though they locked up Haynesworth with the franchise tag they are not going to be able to hold him forever. Balmer could fill in nicely next to Haynesworth for a year and maybe eventually be his replacement

25. Seattle Seahawks- Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon
- Shaun Alexander isn't getting any younger and Maurice Morris has proven himself to be a great backup but a average starter in the league. Stewart has a great combination of speed and power and would fit in really well as replacement for Alexander until he moves on.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars- Lawrence Jackson DE USC
- The Jaguars did lose Stroud in a trade but appear set on some of their younger DT's so I didn't consider DT at this point. WR has also been filled in trade and FA so I think they will address that later in the draft. The Jags do need another pass rusher and Jackson fits that bill and will provide a good situational pass rusher or starter in his first year.

27. San Diego Chargers- Pat Sims DT Auburn
- Pat would provide excellent value at this point for the Chargers and he is one of the DT's that is raw but has a ton of potential. He would be in a great situation learning from Jamal Williams and Luis Castillo in SD

28. Dallas Cowboys- DeSean Jackson WR Cal
- I know they have TO and Crayton has actually become a pretty good 2nd WR but Jackson would be a monster in the slot for this team with Jason Witten running down the seams. This team has a good defense and with the added weapons on offense with Jackson and Jones they could be quite unstoppable.

29. San Francisco 49ers (from Indianapolis Colts)- Quentin Groves DE/OLB Auburn
- Groves is another college DL that could turn into a LB in the NFL. Groves would fit well opposite of Manny Lawson in the 3-4 defense but this team is still a long way off from being successful.

30. Green Bay Packers- Dan Conner LB Penn State
They have really good LBs in Nick Barnett and A.J Hawk so this pick doesn't have to happen and I bet the Giants fans are going thank god someone different but with the value of Conner and the need on the strongside this pick makes sense. I believe they will give Rodgers a chance at QB before drafting another one.

31. New England Patriots - Forfeited as penalty for cheating

32. New York Giants- Aqib Talib CB Kansas
- I think Talib could easily become a safety in the NFL and even if he does stay at CB would look great opposite of last years first rounder Aaron Ross. Together these two could make a formidable duo.

nobodyinparticular
03-07-2008, 12:53 AM
There is absolutely no way that Al Davis passes on Chris Long, the son of Howie Long, the Silver and Black's favorite son (making Chris basically the Silver and Black's favorite grandson), to draft a RB. The Raiders have a full stable already--one that produced marvelously last year.

Now if Gholston and Long are both gone, you might see the Raiders take McFadden, but no way do the Raiders pass on Chris Long for anyone.

proshoota25
03-07-2008, 12:57 AM
an interesting patriots pick, but i like it. belichick has a tie to urban meyer and the florida gator program, its possible

Cashmoney
03-07-2008, 01:02 AM
OMG Yes! Im a mutha ******* genius! Everyone's jumping on the band wagon.

Anyways, the Titans don't need to REPLACE haynesworth. He's only 26 and Im pretty sure we'll sign him long term.

defensiveback23
03-07-2008, 01:04 AM
I don't like the Chargers pick, especially since Reggie Smith is still available. Sims does not project well to NT at this point because of his bad use of leverage. AJ Smith is very adamant about not having bad characters on the team and will not consider drafting them. We also don't need him at DE because the starters are solid and the two main backups have been signed to contract extensions.

The most pressing need on the team is for a versatile DB imo because we need a new NB and a player to eventually replace Hart at S. Smith is a great fit because he can play NB while providing depth at all positions in the secondary.

nobodyinparticular
03-07-2008, 01:04 AM
OMG Yes! Im a mutha ******* genius! Everyone's jumping on the band wagon.

Anyways, the Titans don't need to REPLACE haynesworth. He's only 26 and Im pretty sure we'll sign him long term.

Have fun with a bust then. Truly, I don't understand the love everyone is dishing out to Balmer right now. I wouldn't have him in my top 64.

Cashmoney
03-07-2008, 01:09 AM
Have fun with a bust then. Truly, I don't understand the love everyone is dishing out to Balmer right now. I wouldn't have him in my top 64.

I never said he'd be good. That's not the bandwagon Im talking about.

nobodyinparticular
03-07-2008, 01:27 AM
I never said he'd be good. That's not the bandwagon Im talking about.

Eh? What is then?

Turtlepower
03-07-2008, 01:31 AM
If Reggie Smith falls to us than I would prefer him. I'm still very happy with Talib.

Cashmoney
03-07-2008, 01:32 AM
It has to do with the Balmer pick. A little while ago when everyone was still giving the Titans WRs in the first, I went with Balmer in my mock instead. Ever since then slowly but surely more people are taking Balmer to the Titans.

03-07-2008, 01:35 AM
wtf? No way the Raiders pass on Chris Long under any circumstances.

vidae
03-07-2008, 02:41 AM
Decent Chiefs pick.

BaLLiN
03-07-2008, 04:58 AM
Thank you for not giving us Dan Connor at least, I don't really like Talib much but he's decent. If Reggie Smith falls to us we need to pick him to play FS, aka the glaring need in our secondary.

Bills2083
03-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Good pick for Buffalo

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 09:16 AM
while mendenhall may be a good pick and makes sense, i think hes only the backup choice for the bears if chris williams isnt available. and he most certainly is there....so i think he has to be the pick

Mr. Myogi
03-07-2008, 09:23 AM
I DON'T THINK YOU ALL ARE LISTENING OR READING PROPERLY!!!!!

Our OLine is very suspect.... Why would we risk a pick so high on a QB when he may Bust, not because of skill but supporting cast.

We must first sure up the OL before we can get what may seem to everyone outside the FALCON family to be a MUST and a NEED.

If we are planning to run the ball 75% of the time why would we draft a QB so high?

If anything we should trade down if Long, Ellis/Dorsey is no longer available at 3. Our lines need to be greatly imporved before we can waist 1st round picks on unproven QBs.

Yatta!
03-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Green Bay would definitely take Talib over Connor. Also don't think that Chris Long falls that far, tough seeing him get past the Rams let alone the Raiders.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 09:54 AM

Our OLine is very suspect.... Why would we risk a pick so high on a QB when he may Bust, not because of skill but supporting cast.

We must first sure up the OL before we can get what may seem to everyone outside the FALCON family to be a MUST and a NEED.

If we are planning to run the ball 75% of the time why would we draft a QB so high?

If anything we should trade down if Long, Ellis/Dorsey is no longer available at 3. Our lines need to be greatly imporved before we can waist 1st round picks on unproven QBs.

if you take jake long, i gurantee you that the falcons will just have a higher pick next year. and what QB looks good then? tim tebow? you want him as your franchise QB?

and long might not even be able to play the left side in the pros, theres some questions there. so have fun when he turns out to only be a run blocking RT in the pros...bet thatll feel worth a 3rd overall pick....

im not saying that will happen, but you need to get your franchise QB when the chance pops up. if miami takes him off your hands, then you dont have to worry about it. but if hes there......

T-RICH49
03-07-2008, 10:33 AM
KC will NOT reach for Clady when both Ellis and Dorsey are there

Thunder&Lightning
03-07-2008, 11:45 AM
not a fan of the chargers pick with smith staill available.

roidrunner
03-07-2008, 12:22 PM
eh about the packers pick. give us Talib

thebow305
03-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Amazing Phins pick!!

BTW, Chris Long would play OLB for us, not DE. So either him or Gholston works.

hugegmenfan
03-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Talib is an alright Giants pick. I was disappointed with his combine but hes a good player

TimD
03-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Awesome Jets draft.

gonzo1105
03-07-2008, 03:22 PM

lol actually mr.yeller, I dont patrol the mock draft boards very often so I dont know what this reading properly thing is. I also dont look at other peoples mock drafts, this is imo what is going to have happen on draft day. If I wanted to look at others I'd just ask them to help me. So proceed with the yelling and many many teams take a franchise QB before other areas.

neko4
03-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Green Bay would definitely take Talib over Connor. Also don't think that Chris Long falls that far, tough seeing him get past the Rams let alone the Raiders.

I dont know about that. connor probably has the best instincts and work ethic among LB's this year

PossumBoy9
03-08-2008, 01:19 AM
OK Rams pick.

WMD
03-08-2008, 01:35 AM
I like Keith Rivers.. not to the Lions though.. Ernie Sims is our WLB. Boss was our SLB. In that situation, I'd expect Rivers to continue to fall and hope that the Lions would pick Chris Williams.