PDA

View Full Version : bears looking at flacco, not woodson

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 09:13 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/830255,CST-SPT-bearnt07.article

dammit....oh well, flaccos still better than chad henne.

also in that article, it says the chiefs might sign away rashied davis and we wouldnt even be compensated. losing another WR is just what we need....

Gay Ork Wang
03-07-2008, 09:21 AM
then again Davis could be replaced pretty easily imo

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 09:24 AM
then again Davis could be replaced pretty easily imo

thats true but we really dont need to be losing any more WRs with experience

toonsterwu
03-07-2008, 04:05 PM
eh, not too worried about losing rashied davis. we could replace him with a rookie if we draft right.

03-07-2008, 04:11 PM
No longer a hidden secret the Bears are seemingly interested in Flacco. However very surprised they had no one on hand for Woodson's workout.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 05:26 PM
flacco > henne

thats about the only positive i see in this

and now we have the uber-amazing brandon lloyd to replace davis. thats just wonderful.....</sarcasm>

iowatreat54
03-07-2008, 05:35 PM
I have a feeling Flacco will go before our 2nd pick now, and a strange/gut feeling someone will randomly take him in the late 1st...so if we take a OT first, if we go QB hopefully Brohm is still on the board in the 2nd so we don't take Henne...

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 05:48 PM
I have a feeling Flacco will go before our 2nd pick now, and a strange/gut feeling someone will randomly take him in the late 1st...so if we take a OT first, if we go QB hopefully Brohm is still on the board in the 2nd so we don't take Henne...

aye, agreed. though i also hope that we arent that team who trades up for flacco....hes just not worth it i think. sure hes got loads of potential but itd be all kinds of risky in the 1st. especially if we or someone has to give up a future 1st for it.

iowatreat54
03-07-2008, 05:53 PM
aye, agreed. though i also hope that we arent that team who trades up for flacco....hes just not worth it i think. sure hes got loads of potential but itd be all kinds of risky in the 1st. especially if we or someone has to give up a future 1st for it.

yea I really don't see us trading up for him, mainly because the organization feels comfortable with Rex and Orton right now that we don't really need a stud rookie, more of just a want...so I don't see us trading up for flacco, more we would take him if he fell to us, and if he's gone either we take Brohm possibly if he's still there or Henne (ugh) maybe, but I'd rather us wait a couple rounds and take a QB just to add depth

MidwayMonster31
03-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Both Flacco and Woodson need work, but I would've taken Woodson's intangibles over Flacco's arm. Flacco could go by the first round.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 07:25 PM
yea I really don't see us trading up for him, mainly because the organization feels comfortable with Rex and Orton right now that we don't really need a stud rookie, more of just a want...so I don't see us trading up for flacco, more we would take him if he fell to us, and if he's gone either we take Brohm possibly if he's still there or Henne (ugh) maybe, but I'd rather us wait a couple rounds and take a QB just to add depth

i see that you being an iowa fan have probably been subjected to watching henne's not-so-goodness over the past few years...

he was an alright college QB but i dont see him doing well at all in the pros. he literally embodies everythingb ad about orton and grossman with fewer of their positives..

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Both Flacco and Woodson need work, but I would've taken Woodson's intangibles over Flacco's arm. Flacco could go by the first round.

agreed but since the bears didnt even bother to scope out woodson, that doesnt bode well for him.....

bearsfan_51
03-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I can understand them avoiding Woodson, he's probably never going to be a WCO quarterback. I think he will succeed in the right system though.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I can understand them avoiding Woodson, he's probably never going to be a WCO quarterback. I think he will succeed in the right system though.

is ours really west coast? i always thought it was more of a power running with vertical passing sort of thing....

bearsfan_51
03-07-2008, 08:00 PM
That's a good point. In theory it was supposed to be a WCO. It certainly was the first time Turner was OC in the mid-90's, but it's since permutated.

I think a big reason for that is Grossman however. If you watched the Orton-Griese starts it was much more dinking and dunking. Hell I think Adrian Peterson ended up with like 50 catches.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 08:04 PM
That's a good point. In theory it was supposed to be a WCO. It certainly was the first time Turner was OC in the mid-90's, but it's since permutated.

I think a big reason for that is Grossman however. If you watched the Orton-Griese starts it was much more dinking and dunking. Hell I think Adrian Peterson ended up with like 50 catches.

i agree on grossman, and to me, it seemed like they had griese throwing a little bit of everything....

and i kind of thought the dinking and dunking with orton in there was because he had a lack of experience more than anything else.....idk

its just when i picture a west coast offense, i picture a team like tampa or seattle having 5 guys runnings short to intermediate routes all over the field. a guy going deep occasionally....

i think their personnel is a lot different too, but i see very little of what they do in what we do

Smokey Joe
03-07-2008, 08:31 PM
i see that you being an iowa fan have probably been subjected to watching henne's not-so-goodness over the past few years...

he was an alright college QB but i dont see him doing well at all in the pros. he literally embodies everythingb ad about orton and grossman with fewer of their positives..
I see 51 has gotten to you with his bogus talk about Flacco.

regoob2
03-07-2008, 08:33 PM
I see 51 has gotten to you with his bogus talk about Flacco.I think he was talking about Henne.

bearsfan_51
03-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Did you know that Flacco is Italian for overrated?

Smokey Joe
03-07-2008, 08:51 PM
I think he was talking about Henne.
whoops, I saw that second paragraph and I remember 51 saying the same exact thing about Flacco about 1000 times before.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 09:24 PM
whoops, I saw that second paragraph and I remember 51 saying the same exact thing about Flacco about 1000 times before.

yeah i kind of stole it from there but felt it better applied to henne. just go look at what scott has for his weaknesses in his rankings, hes an inch taller grossman.

as for flacco....eh. my opinion on the guy is mixed. he probably doesnt deserve to go as high as he will (late 1st/early 2nd) but he does have a lot of potential i feel.

i also feel that way about woodson, only moreso....too bad we're not even looking at woodson.....

regoob2
03-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I personally would rather take Henne over Flacco. Flacco has a ton of potential but I think he's so far away from reaching it. We haven't been able to develop a qb in um.....ever. I'd go with Henne if I had to choose. I hope we don't take either in round 2.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I personally would rather take Henne over Flacco. Flacco has a ton of potential but I think he's so far away from reaching it. We haven't been able to develop a qb in um.....ever. I'd go with Henne if I had to choose. I hope we don't take either in round 2.

well i would choose neither in round 2. like i said, i wouldnt touch flacco as high as hes going to be pushed i feel, and i dont want henne at all.

regoob2
03-07-2008, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't be upset if we went with either in the 2nd cause we do need a qb but I hope there are better players available.

BeerBaron
03-07-2008, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't be upset if we went with either in the 2nd cause we do need a qb but I hope there are better players available.

yeah but i said in another thread somewhere that QB isnt something you should just go willy nilly over. you had better really love the guy your taking or its only going to end up problematic.

if i were a GM, and we should all thank god that i am not, i would be taking a quarterback i really love. if theres a guy who many people have rated as a late round prospect who i think would a perfect pick for my team, i would wait to take him.

like this year, everyone seems to love matt ryan. i do not. if i were a GM in need of a QB, im not going to take a guy i dont like just because hes the consensus favorite. if theres someone else i like, im going to try and get that guy as late as i can afford to.

so just because most people like henne and flacco as early 2nd rounders, i dont like them there and would just wait.

DaSuperfan
03-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Sometimes teams purposefully don't send any scouts to a player's workout because they secretly want that player in the draft and don't want to draw attention to themselves. I hope that this isn't the case with Woodson. I personally think he's going to be a bust in the NFL. His slow release, combined with his poor decision making will get him killed in the NFL.

I'd rather have Flacco any day of the week, and I hope that the rumor that we like Flacco over Woodson is true.

blkwdw13
03-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Hey 51 I like that sig picture you have.

bearsfan_51
03-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Muchos Gracias.

Apparently we had a lot of scouts at Josh Johnson's event, including Pep Hamilton.

I'm neutral on him. Not sure if Turner would know how to utilize him.

DaBear89
03-11-2008, 02:04 AM
since when can turner utilize any1? let alone a dual threat QB or w/e ppl call them now

xspikex
03-11-2008, 08:39 AM
since when can turner utilize any1? let alone a dual threat QB or w/e ppl call them now

I actually think Turner has done a really good job of utilizing Grossman.
The deep ball is his big strength, and Turner have used it alot with him.

bearfan
03-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I actually think Turner has done a really good job of utilizing Grossman.
The deep ball is his big strength, and Turner have used it alot with him.

He has used it a lot...even when it doesnt work. Problem is w/ Rex, is that that is his best throw, and that Turner strays away from the run game b.c he is so tempted by the deep throw

xspikex
03-12-2008, 06:23 AM
True, Turner strayed from the running game this year, but it wasn't effective and we were behind a lot this year.

I'm not his biggest fan, and we could probably do better at the OC position, but I do think we could do a lot worse too.
Remember Terry Shea...

regoob2
03-12-2008, 06:15 PM
We need schoop back. 3rd and 1, WR screen. 3rd and 28 WR screen.

awfullyquiet
03-15-2008, 06:58 PM
such a weak qb class, flacco's gone. it's barely worth taking anything but a flyer on a late rd qb. i have no names.

BeerBaron
03-15-2008, 08:00 PM
such a weak qb class, flacco's gone. it's barely worth taking anything but a flyer on a late rd qb. i have no names.

well, lets play the assume ryan, brohm and flacco are gone game. (ryan is gone...thank christ)

i wouldnt want chad henne at all period. too bad my opinion doesnt factor into teh bears actual draft plan.....and id like to have woodson. people are low on him, i like him. he looked damn good against some rather good teams like LSU....

after about teh 4th round, i really no long care what QB we take if we do at that point. that late in the draft is....meh. few of em turn out to be much more than backups, so i would accept anyone

regoob2
03-15-2008, 08:22 PM
I like Henne, but I think we should go BPA no matter what. I don't want us to reach just to grab a qb.

awfullyquiet
03-15-2008, 08:22 PM
well, lets play the assume ryan, brohm and flacco are gone game. (ryan is gone...thank christ)

i wouldnt want chad henne at all period. too bad my opinion doesnt factor into teh bears actual draft plan.....and id like to have woodson. people are low on him, i like him. he looked damn good against some rather good teams like LSU....

after about teh 4th round, i really no long care what QB we take if we do at that point. that late in the draft is....meh. few of em turn out to be much more than backups, so i would accept anyone

Kevin O'Connell.

BeerBaron
03-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I like Henne, but I think we should go BPA no matter what. I don't want us to reach just to grab a qb.

i dont think anyone should ever reach to grab a QB...unless its the falcons or ravens this year to keep ryan from tempting JA......

but i dont think henne would be the BPA in the 7th round. i just dont see him having a pro future as a starter, much less ever being a franchise QB

regoob2
03-15-2008, 08:43 PM
I think Henne could be BPA in round 2, obviously depends on whos there.

BeerBaron
03-15-2008, 08:49 PM
I think Henne could be BPA in round 2, obviously depends on whos there.

mmmmm like i said....i dont. i dont like henne as an nfl QB.

i said it once before and ill stand by it that id rather have anthony "deer in the headlights" morelli over henne

bearsfan_51
03-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Kevin O'Connell.
I like O'Connell a lot too, but they better be pretty damn sure about him if they think he's the QB of the future.

I guess what I'm saying is, that we should probably consider a QB no later than the 44th pick. Grossman is not the answer, and it's very doubtful Orton is either. Even in the three games where Orton played pretty well, his completion % was way too low, something that he really struggled with his rookie season as well.

awfullyquiet
03-15-2008, 09:11 PM
I like O'Connell a lot too, but they better be pretty damn sure about him if they think he's the QB of the future.

I guess what I'm saying is, that we should probably consider a QB no later than the 44th pick. Grossman is not the answer, and it's very doubtful Orton is either. Even in the three games where Orton played pretty well, his completion % was way too low, something that he really struggled with his rookie season as well.

I don't think the value will be on the board by then. With the way flacco's getting pumped up, i don't think we'd have a chance by 44. Therefore. O'Connell wouldn't be a bad pick imo in the 6th.

BeerBaron
03-15-2008, 11:10 PM

the nice thing about taking a QB late, such as well after the 44th pick, is that theres no real commitment to him. he can come in, compete for a few years, if hes no good, he can be pushed out with no real consequence.

you cant say teh same about a QB taken in the 2nd round. theres a bit more of an investment there....if we take a guy (henne) there and hes no good, we again run into the cedric benson scenario where we have to keep around due to the investment since the FO wouldnt want to look stupid.

i said before that if your going to take a QB early, you had better make damn sure he is your guy and can be your franchise QB and i simply dont see anyone who would be there in the first 44 picks id take. maybe brohm if hes there.....and id put flacco well ahead of henne.

id put anthony freakin morelli ahead of henne. i dont like chad henne!