PDA

View Full Version : The WAC

neko4
03-07-2008, 07:00 PM
This past year i became a bit of a Hawaii fan and i found this article on Rivals talking about WAC teams Spring Preview
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=782469
Anyone think the WAC will send another team to a BCS bowl?
Boise St will have their 3rd QB in 3 years
Hawaii loses 4 WR's, Colt and June Jones. They are apparently running the same O and Graunke should be a solid replacement, IMO.
Im not sure if any team in the conference can do it this year

YAYareaRB
03-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Graunke got suspended. Funaki is currently the number one. He gives Hawaii's offense more options seeing that he is twice as mobile as Colt Brennan was. How he throws will be question.

neko4
03-07-2008, 07:46 PM
dang, what was Graunke suspended for? I heard from D-Unit that Funaki was good too

YAYareaRB
03-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Graunke broke some sort of team rule, I'll get the link to you in a minute. Funaki is really talented. Definitely adds the scrambling dimension to Hawaii's offense. I really want to see him succeed.

catcher_0_3
03-08-2008, 12:19 AM
I think I heard towards the end of last year that Fresno State was going to be the team to beat in the WAC this year. Whether that means running the table and making it to the BCS, I would guess probably not.

YAYareaRB
03-08-2008, 01:30 PM
The WAC is always a toss up. Boise State been really consistent with it. Hawaii and Fresno State come in as a close second and third. Just matters who's returning who in the given year. Hawaii is losing way too much talent in key positions to run the tables outright. Boise State is gonna have their 3rd QB in the 3 years but Ian Johnson returns to lighten the load. Don't know much about Fresno, but if they have consistent QB play like Paul Pinnegar in 05 they should be really tough to beat.

My darkhorse is Nevada. I don't know if Lippencott is coming back but if he does, they will have a tough ground game to stop. The progression of QB Colin Kaepernick will also have a big role in how Nevada does.

Primetime21
03-27-2008, 12:00 PM
No need to worry about our QB situation. We have a redshirt freshman who is LIGHTING up spring ball, Kelllen Moore. One of our highest recruits ever and broke the Washington State record for TD passes in year(around 60 I believe). As long he can get a good feeling of Coach Pete's offense then he should thrive. If we feel that he should wait Mike Coughlin will start.

Running back we are stacked at. With countless RBs that could share the load. I think Ian is going to have a pretty rough year due to lack of carries. Really only concern is our defense. Lost Scandrick and LB core is still pretty weak and same goes for DL.

Still BSU should win the WAC but I cant see us going to a BCS bowl.

ChezPower4
03-27-2008, 12:36 PM
I see BSU winning the WAC this year but to me it's to hard to tell if they would be able to make a BCS bowl game and if they did I do not they would be as lucky as they were in the their first BCS apperance. I think that BSU is basicly going to dominate the WAC for years and years but i believe that the only way that they are going to improve their program and gain more respect around the NCAA is if they start playing good non-confrence opponents. Like good teams in the pac-10, Big 12, Big 10 and the SEC.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
03-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Any new info on that Graunke suspension?

Primetime21
03-27-2008, 02:50 PM
I see BSU winning the WAC this year but to me it's to hard to tell if they would be able to make a BCS bowl game and if they did I do not they would be as lucky as they were in the their first BCS apperance. I think that BSU is basicly going to dominate the WAC for years and years but i believe that the only way that they are going to improve their program and gain more respect around the NCAA is if they start playing good non-confrence opponents. Like good teams in the pac-10, Big 12, Big 10 and the SEC.

Well in the past we have been a lose-lose to most teams meaning if they beat us doesnt mean anything, but If we beat them it is devastating. BSU finally has a little respect. We have a lot of Pac 10 games in the future even the Huskies coming to our home turf.

This season we even open against a weak Oregon team.

ChezPower4
04-08-2008, 02:52 AM
Well in the past we have been a lose-lose to most teams meaning if they beat us doesnt mean anything, but If we beat them it is devastating. BSU finally has a little respect. We have a lot of Pac 10 games in the future even the Huskies coming to our home turf.

This season we even open against a weak Oregon team.

I wouldn't ever call oregon weak they strugled without Dixion last year but i don't think they will have a problem betting BSU

RedVision
04-08-2008, 09:07 PM
My money would be on BYU getting the "BCS Buster" tag.

It's a little early for that kind of prediction though.

YAYareaRB
04-08-2008, 10:10 PM

They sure are poised to do it. Returning the starting QB who did a great job last year. Newcomer of the year, Freshmen All-American, Freshmen school and conference rushing records holder Harvey Unga. All three starting WRs. Team leading in yards TE. The whole offensive line. The defense will be the question.

GB12
04-08-2008, 10:28 PM

Favorites to win the WAC, yes. BCS team, no.

Primetime21
04-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Favorites to win the WAC, yes. BCS team, no.

BYU isnt in the WAC.

GB12
04-08-2008, 11:21 PM
BYU isnt in the WAC.
They were 10 years ago, that's gotta count for something right? ;)

Fine, they're the Mountain West favorite and neither conference is getting a BCS bid.

YAYareaRB
04-09-2008, 07:43 PM
They were 10 years ago, that's gotta count for something right? ;)

Fine, they're the Mountain West favorite and neither conference is getting a BCS bid.

Well it's pretty pointless just to state. How bout some evidence or grounds of your statement?

DragonFireKai
04-10-2008, 01:42 AM
Well it's pretty pointless just to state. How bout some evidence or grounds of your statement?

Well, thanks to Hawaii's embarassing showing in the sugar bowl, any mid major with BCS aspirations is going to have to go the Boise State in 06 route, completely flog a decent BCS team in the regular season, and go undefeated.

Hawaii's gonna lose to Florida, OSU, and Cinncinatti. So they aren't going.

Boise State will need to flog Oregon, which is possible, but unlikely.

BYU has a chance, as UCLA is beatable, and playing in the land of the mormons.

It'll be either BYU or BSU. More likely BYU, as they have the easier schedule and better team.

I'd give BYU about a 40% chance, and BSU about 25%.

Turtlepower
04-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Well, thanks to Hawaii's embarassing showing in the sugar bowl, any mid major with BCS aspirations is going to have to go the Boise State in 06 route, completely flog a decent BCS team in the regular season, and go undefeated.

Hawaii's gonna lose to Florida, OSU, and Cinncinatti. So they aren't going.

Boise State will need to flog Oregon, which is possible, but unlikely.

BYU has a chance, as UCLA is beatable, and playing in the land of the mormons.

It'll be either BYU or BSU. More likely BYU, as they have the easier schedule and better team.

I'd give BYU about a 40% chance, and BSU about 25%.

BYU is moutain west... =D

DragonFireKai
04-10-2008, 01:49 AM
BYU is moutain west... =D

I was talking about mid majors in general, seeing as the post I was replying to was in response to someone denigrating BYU's chances.

Turtlepower
04-10-2008, 01:52 AM
I was talking about mid majors in general, seeing as the post I was replying to was in response to someone denigrating BYU's chances.

And I stand corrected... My opinion of BYU is that they are a good team, but they won't make it to a BCS game this year just because I believe they will lose to UCLA. BYU seriously needs to get out of the Mountain West and into the WAC because the competition in that conference is downright pathetic.

DragonFireKai
04-10-2008, 02:13 AM
And I stand corrected... My opinion of BYU is that they are a good team, but they won't make it to a BCS game this year just because I believe they will lose to UCLA. BYU seriously needs to get out of the Mountain West and into the WAC because the competition in that conference is downright pathetic.

No, because power shifts between conferences. The MWC and the WAC are the two top mid majors in recent years, but a few years ago, TCU, BYU, and Utah made the MWC the premier mid major. Before Louisville jumped to the BCS conferences C-USA was pretty powerful. Up until the last couple of years, the WAC was BSU and a bunch of scrubs. with the fall of Hawaii, it'll likely return to that state. Teams in the MWC, WAC, and CUSA should only leave their conference if they can jump to a BCS conference.

Vince Mullins
04-11-2008, 09:44 PM
They sure are poised to do it. Returning the starting QB who did a great job last year. Newcomer of the year, Freshmen All-American, Freshmen school and conference rushing records holder Harvey Unga. All three starting WRs. Team leading in yards TE. The whole offensive line. The defense will be the question.

You guys are all over it, but the day we count out Boise is when they will kick everyones ass. I wouldn't bet against the Broncos.

boisefan
04-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Boise state will win the WAC if they start that freshman QB, if they don't, they will just be wasting time by not developing a four year starter at BSU.

Primetime21
04-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Boise state will win the WAC if they start that freshman QB, if they don't, they will just be wasting time by not developing a four year starter at BSU.

Kellen Moore. We could really win the WAC by starting any QB on our roster. This year we got a pretty damn good running attack and a good enough defense to keep conference opponents out the endzone.

But would love to see Moore start way better than Bush Hamdan. Moore would probably be competing for UDub starting QB spot if it wasnt for Jake Locker.

boisefan
04-21-2008, 08:48 PM
True enough, I love his quick release, and he is probably the overall smartest football player BSU has ever had.

Also, about U of I, keep an eye on Deonte Jackson this year, if he can explode for another 1000+ yard season, he will get some respect from all college fans.

jballa838
04-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Kellen Moore was the greatest high school QB I have ever seen. Anyone care to look up his high school stats? You won't believe it, but he MASTERED the spread system and threw for over 100+ TDs every year since his soph year I believe. So my first pick is BSU.
Then BYU, but they have to play UW at UW, which will be incredibly tough, like last year when a weaker UW team took out BSU when they were ranked #24. Tough place to play.

DragonFireKai
04-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Kellen Moore was the greatest high school QB I have ever seen. Anyone care to look up his high school stats? You won't believe it, but he MASTERED the spread system and threw for over 100+ TDs every year since his soph year I believe. So my first pick is BSU.
Then BYU, but they have to play UW at UW, which will be incredibly tough, like last year when a weaker UW team took out BSU when they were ranked #24. Tough place to play.

He never threw for over 100 TDs in a season. He was impressive, but not that impressive.

Menardo75
04-22-2008, 03:49 PM
I honestly think the only teams that have a chance to be BCS busters from the non-power conferences are BYU or Central Michigan in the WAC it would'nt suprise me to see either Nevada or Boise win it

DragonFireKai
04-22-2008, 03:52 PM
I honestly think the only teams that have a chance to be BCS busters from the non-power conferences are BYU or Central Michigan in the WAC it would'nt suprise me to see either Nevada or Boise win it

I don't think Central Michigan will get past Georgia. I like Dan the Frenchman, but there are limits.

boisefan
04-22-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't think Central Michigan will get past Georgia. I like Dan the Frenchman, but there are limits.

I agree, Georgia is my call for NC this season, I don't think any team they play against has a shot.

jballa838
04-22-2008, 06:23 PM
He never threw for over 100 TDs in a season. He was impressive, but not that impressive.
I went to edit that and it didnt load. He threw for 46 tops in a season I believe, which is amazing

qbkilla
04-23-2008, 10:14 AM
wats the men dem dealin wit

DragonFireKai
04-23-2008, 11:34 AM
I went to edit that and it didnt load. He threw for 46 tops in a season I believe, which is amazing

67, actually.

YAYareaRB
04-23-2008, 08:04 PM

I think the tougher task belongs to UW when they play against BYU. BYU's offense looks unstoppable this upcoming year.

qbkilla
04-24-2008, 01:57 PM
do u think Hawaii an Boise state should leave the mac

YAYareaRB
04-25-2008, 09:52 AM
do u think Hawaii an Boise state should leave the mac

If they were in the MAC, sure why not.. The traveling would be killer for Hawaii especially. But just in case you meant the WAC, I don't think they should leave the WAC. Not one of them, they give each other stiff competition and because of them, the WAC is watchable.

boisefan
04-26-2008, 09:58 AM
The WAC has 3 teams to watch this year, Boise State, Hawaii, and Fresno State.
I would put BSU on top because of the AMAZING receivers, and if Moore starts at QB, the only game I see us having a problem with is traveling to Oregon.
Fresno would be second, good team all around.
Hawaii is good, but they have a few questions, like who the new QB will be after Brennan gets drafted.

fischbowl
04-26-2008, 11:34 AM
So. How do my 'Dogs look?

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog5/uploaded_images/Tech-helmet-716523.jpg

boisefan
04-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Your 'Dogs aren't looking too good IMO.

jayceheathman
04-27-2008, 04:30 PM

Everyone knows no one can stop New Mexico State. ;)