PDA

View Full Version : Lions Sign Brian Kelly!

TacticaLion
03-08-2008, 03:22 PM
NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that the Lions have reached agreement with free agent cornerback Brian Kelly on a three-year contract. Terms were not disclosed.
Lions head coach Rod Marinelli lands another former Buccaneer as the team continues its shift towards a Cover Two defense. Kelly, who lost his starting job in Tampa last season, will likely compete with Keith Smith to start opposite Leigh Bodden in a revamped Lions secondary.
A veteran player... if he's healthy, he'll start. If not, he provides depth and knowledge.

2007: Fernando Bryant, Stanley Wilson, Travis Fisher, Keith Smith, Dovonte Edwards

2008: Leigh Bodden, Brian Kelly, Stanley Wilson, Travis Fisher, Keith Smith

I'll take it.

familyguy555
03-08-2008, 03:32 PM
I still would LOVE to trade Williams for Sheppard.

WMD
03-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Hooray! All is saved! We've got a broken down, old, slow Cornerback!

TacticaLion
03-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Hooray! All is saved! We've got a broken down, old, slow Cornerback!

... that can still start in this league and knows the defense inside and out.

This "broken down, old, slow cornerback" is better than anyone we started last year.

WMD
03-08-2008, 04:04 PM
... that can still start in this league and knows the defense inside and out.

This "broken down, old, slow cornerback" is better than anyone we started last year.

Who says he can still start in the league? He didn't start for Tampa Bay last year. He's missed 1/4th of the games for the past 2 years due to groin and ankle injuries, as well as Turf toe.

Good for him that he knows the defense inside and out, maybe one day he can be a Tampa 2 coach. He's done as a player and was just looking for one last good contract. We should've just kept Fernando Bryant.

TacticaLion
03-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Who says he can still start in the league? He didn't start for Tampa Bay last year. He's missed 1/4th of the games for the past 2 years due to groin and ankle injuries, as well as Turf toe.

Good for him that he knows the defense inside and out, maybe one day he can be a Tampa 2 coach. He's done as a player and was just looking for one last good contract. We should've just kept Fernando Bryant.Yeah... he didn't start for 2 reasons: they've got a better player, and he had injuries. We don't have better players and, if he isn't injured, is an upgrade over everyone not named "Leigh Bodden".

Go Blue
03-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Ill take Kelley over starting Wilson or Fisher. But I still think they need to draft a young corner is there in the 2nd or 3rd this year. And I still think Bryant would have been a better number 2.

MicJay
03-08-2008, 05:24 PM
I was reading some of his stats can someone tell me why he missed so many games the past two seasons?

Addict
03-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Glad to see him on the team. He knows the system and is a good veteran presence. At least it eliminates CB as a round one need.

We still need a talented kid like Flowers or Godfrey, but at least it's not round 1 anymore.

TacticaLion
03-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Glad to see him on the team. He knows the system and is a good veteran presence. At least it eliminates CB as a round one need.

We still need a talented kid like Flowers or Godfrey, but at least it's not round 1 anymore.

Exactly.

There are plenty of solid CBs in the draft. I'm welcoming the idea of drafting Stewart at 15 more and more.

Haha... joke... I'd rather have Mendenhall.

WMD
03-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I will vomit all over multiple infants if we draft a Running Back in Round 1.

That is, unless we somehow get an OT, DE, and MLB before the draft... If that happens, I'll welcome Mendenhall with open arms.

Go Blue
03-08-2008, 06:53 PM
I will vomit all over multiple infants if we draft a Running Back in Round 1.

That is, unless we somehow get an OT, DE, and MLB before the draft... If that happens, I'll welcome Mendenhall with open arms.
Would you rather reach on a crappy OT, DE, or MLB instead of drafting Mendenhall if he was there?

ironman4579
03-08-2008, 06:59 PM
And the transition to the Detroit Bay Buccalions continues.

TacticaLion
03-08-2008, 07:33 PM
And the transition to the Detroit Bay Buccalions continues.

People keep saying this as if it should be a surprise. Coaches are often interested in past players... they know what to expect, the players understand the system and already have an established relationship.

(Note: this is only the 4th "Marinelli" Buc on the roster.)

Xiomera
03-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Trade Roy. Get Lito. Then we can close the book on CB's.

TacticaLion
03-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Trade Roy. Get Lito. Then we can close the book on CB's.

I think I'd rather trade Roy to fill another position (MLB/DT/DE), then draft a CB in rounds 2-3.

WMD
03-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Would you rather reach on a crappy OT, DE, or MLB instead of drafting Mendenhall if he was there?

Eh, no, I'd go BPA at a Position of Need.. I'd just hope that either Chris Williams, Derrick Harvey, or Jeff Otah are there.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Brian Kelly was beaten out by Phillip Buchannon this year. Buchannon finally lived up to his potential a little. That being said, Kelly is better than Fisher and Keith Smith. Our secondary should be improved with some depth now.

I'm thinking more and more that we are going DE. We need that pash rusher. We still need a Tackle unless they think Jonathan Scott is the answer at Right Tackle but without Martz this line should improve.

I do think Jeff Backus will be improved this year. Sacks have a lot to do with the system. Does anyone remember in 2003, when we only gave 11 sacks for the whole year under Mooch with Backus as our LT. In fact in 2002, we were the best in the league also with only 20 sacks. Don't get me wrong, Backus has to play better but the Martz system= explosiveness but at the cost of a ton of sacks.

Lions with Martz 2007 54, 2006,63,
Pre Martz Lions 2005 31, 2004 37, 2003 11 sacks, 2002 20 sacks
St Louis Martz 2005 46, 2004 50, 2003 43 sacks, 2002, 46 sacks

Every year under Mooch/Marty, St Louis had at least 13 more sacks given up than we did. St Louis had Pace, we had Backus but yet we are double digit better in sacks given up. O-line is all the offense you run. We need to find that happy median between Joey "Checkdown" Harrington and Jon "Sweet Jesus another sack" Kitna

ironman4579
03-09-2008, 12:50 PM
People keep saying this as if it should be a surprise. Coaches are often interested in past players... they know what to expect, the players understand the system and already have an established relationship.

(Note: this is only the 4th "Marinelli" Buc on the roster.)

Yea, it's really more of a joke. I really couldn't care less who we bring in as long as they can play and help us improve.

bearsfan_51
03-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Eh, no, I'd go BPA at a Position of Need.. I'd just hope that either Chris Williams, Derrick Harvey, or Jeff Otah are there.
Why would you not consider runningback a position of need? The Lions have one decent guy there now, and he's got serious health issues.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Why would you not consider runningback a position of need? The Lions have one decent guy there now, and he's got serious health issues.

Running back is a positon of need, but it isn't as much of a need as Defensive End, Right Tackle or MLB. We basically need a starter for all 3 positions. Running back we have our starter, if he is healthy. Plus running back is much deeper in this draft than Tackle and Defensive End. We have two 3rd rounders we can fill the running back position with a quality player that could spell KJ/Calhoun. Taking another skill position in the 1st round just isn't a very good option for the Lions.

bearsfan_51
03-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Running back is a positon of need, but it isn't as much of a need as Defensive End, Right Tackle or MLB. We basically need a starter for all 3 positions. Running back we have our starter, if he is healthy. Plus running back is much deeper in this draft than Tackle and Defensive End. We have two 3rd rounders we can fill the running back position with a quality player that could spell KJ/Calhoun. Taking another skill position in the 1st round just isn't a very good option for the Lions.
Why are Lions fans so continually loyal to Kevin Jones? He hasn't done anything since his rookie season and is constantly dinged up. I know it's become cliche to blame Mike Martz for everything, especially the running game, but Jones just isn't any good.

Put it another way, I'd take what you have at Defensive End over what you have at runningback any day. Ditto Jonathan Scott at right tackle.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-09-2008, 02:07 PM
We are missing a starter at D-End. Kalimba Edwards will be cut, DeVries is not a starter and Ikaika is a project who is more of a base end. With Shaun Rogers gone(leader in sacks with 7), we have to get a pass rush from somewhere.

We have a starting running back. KJ had a very good rookie year and KJ played well in 2006 before his injury. He had 1,200 all purpose yards in 2006 showing a very good ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Last year KJ was recovering from a major injury and that could be a reason why Martz refused to run the ball at times. KJ's health was inconsistent on a week to week basis. Some days he would feel great, but other days he would be in a ton of pain. Even so KJ had 8tds showing improvement in the redzone. KJ can catch the ball out of the backfield and when healthy is an above average back. When KJ got into a grove and our teams was balanced, we played our best games of the year. Personally, I think Mendenhall is a one year wonder, so I'd rather look at DE,Tackle or Connor in Round 1.

The running back class is deep. I'll take my chance in Round 3.

Prowler
03-09-2008, 02:13 PM
i hate to do it but i agree with bearsfan. we can pick up a decent enough lineman first day. so we might as well pick up the freak of nature mendenhall to balance out the offense and give us position stability for the next 6 years.

if we were perfectly lucky it would be
mendenhall, mayo, carl nicks, chevy jackson

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Running back is a need. I'm not denying that, but the Cover 2 does not work if we don't have a pass rush.

Rogers was our sack leader last year. 7 sacks gone.
Redding only had 1 sack.
DeWayne White had 6.5 sacks (5.5 in the first half of the season, 3 sacks came in one game against Tampa)
DeVries (6.5 sacks, 3 sacks in one game against Chicago) I don't count on DeVries getting 6.5 sacks.
Corey Smtih 2.5 sacks (likely won't be resigned)
Kalimba Edwards (1.5 sacks, likely will be cut once we draft DE in Round 1)
Ikaika (0 sacks)
Darby is a run stuffer, not a pass rush at all.

Scotty D
03-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Quentin Groves is a sleeper for our pick.

Prowler
03-09-2008, 03:23 PM
if harvey is there then i'm all for taking him, and then hoping mike hart falls in the draft and becomes barry sanders 2.0. but i'm starting to think that next year is the year for DE. They're too expensive for us right now in terms of both money for crappy FAs and reaching on draft picks. We have enough holes on defense and our staple has been an explosive offense so we have to adopt the colts strategy of maintaining(well creating) a great offense. KJ has ruined my fantasy season twice now, and starting the year off injured with leg/foot injuries is a yearly occurance now. Mendenhall, like people have said will touch the ball every other play for us and be more of a vital cog than any one defensive player could ever be. i'd rather wait and just pick up two stud DEs next year and blow all of our picks on whatever we miss this year. i'm pretty sure we can solidify the RB/MLB/OT this year, and i don't see harvey being there when we pick either.

i forgot to mention that ever since that one article about kj wanting out of detroit i absolutely don't care about him anymore

Addict
03-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Quentin Groves is a sleeper for our pick.

In round 2 you mean?

Go Blue
03-09-2008, 04:27 PM
In round 2 you mean?

I sure hope so.

Scotty D
03-09-2008, 04:38 PM
In round 2 you mean?

Nope at 15. I'm high on him. And if we take a OT I think they would look at a guy like Gosder Cherilous over an Otah or Williams.

Addict
03-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Nope at 15. I'm high on him. And if we take a OT I think they would look at a guy like Gosder Cherilous over an Otah or Williams.

I agree, sounds like you've been shooting the guy straight up the veins.

Scotty D
03-09-2008, 04:42 PM
I agree, sounds like you've been shooting the guy straight up the veins.

Harvey would of course be my first choice. BTW we shouldnt sleep on IAF check out these vids of him. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2007/video/

WMD
03-09-2008, 05:18 PM
IAF, you are sexy beast. Hopefully get get something out of him this year.

Addict
03-09-2008, 05:52 PM
IAF, you are sexy beast. Hopefully get get something out of him this year.

I watched Willis' video and cried...

TacticaLion
03-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Harvey would of course be my first choice. BTW we shouldnt sleep on IAF check out these vids of him. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2007/video/

God... those videos. That was awesome. He's raw (we know this), but, if Rod can get the best of him, he should be dominant.

Maybe they know something we don't.

Anyway go check out the rushing videos of Stanton. Very nice. Tell me: how did Madden give him 65 speed?!

Addict
03-09-2008, 05:59 PM
God... those videos. That was awesome. He's raw (we know this), but, if Rod can get the best of him, he should be dominant.

Maybe they know something we don't.

Anyway go check out the rushing videos of Stanton. Very nice. Tell me: how did Madden give him 65 speed?!

same way they gave Russel a rating of 75, by just random guesses.

TacticaLion
03-09-2008, 06:02 PM
same way they gave Russel a rating of 75, by just random guesses.
It makes me sad.

He should have at LEAST 75... at least.

Stupid Madden.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-09-2008, 06:28 PM
if harvey is there then i'm all for taking him, and then hoping mike hart falls in the draft and becomes barry sanders 2.0. but i'm starting to think that next year is the year for DE. They're too expensive for us right now in terms of both money for crappy FAs and reaching on draft picks. We have enough holes on defense and our staple has been an explosive offense so we have to adopt the colts strategy of maintaining(well creating) a great offense. KJ has ruined my fantasy season twice now, and starting the year off injured with leg/foot injuries is a yearly occurance now. Mendenhall, like people have said will touch the ball every other play for us and be more of a vital cog than any one defensive player could ever be. i'd rather wait and just pick up two stud DEs next year and blow all of our picks on whatever we miss this year. i'm pretty sure we can solidify the RB/MLB/OT this year, and i don't see harvey being there when we pick either.

i forgot to mention that ever since that one article about kj wanting out of detroit i absolutely don't care about him anymore

A first round DE at 15 would not be that expensive. Ikaika is very cheap with a late Roudn 2 contract, White has a decent sized contract but not huge, and Kalimba is all but cut and DeVries is playing for pennies as well. We can afford Harvey at 15.

Ok so you want to wait until next year and pick up two stud DEs. Everyone has been saying that DEs take a year to develop. So why would we wait until next year so they won't be ready until 2010. Take Harvey now, give him a ton of playing time this year to develop him and a draft a RB next year. RBs can come in and produce right away as a rookie. We are not really a legitimate contender this year IMO.

Colts are succesful because of Peyton Manning, an O-line, great coaching. Not just James/Addai. Plus the Colts have Freeney so they too see the importance of one good pass rushing DE for the Cover 2.

This year is KJs last chance. He has been a decent RB when healthy. He is our starter and having a 3rd round guy like Matt Forte/Mike Hart would be just fine. Mendenhall will be of no use to us if we don't have a good Right Tackle and Right Guard.

WMD
03-09-2008, 11:17 PM
I do think Jeff Backus will be improved this year. Sacks have a lot to do with the system. Does anyone remember in 2003, when we only gave 11 sacks for the whole year under Mooch with Backus as our LT. In fact in 2002, we were the best in the league also with only 20 sacks. Don't get me wrong, Backus has to play better but the Martz system= explosiveness but at the cost of a ton of sacks.

Lions with Martz 2007 54, 2006,63,
Pre Martz Lions 2005 31, 2004 37, 2003 11 sacks, 2002 20 sacks
St Louis Martz 2005 46, 2004 50, 2003 43 sacks, 2002, 46 sacks

The reason we gave up the least amount of sacks is because Joey Harrington would ALWAYS get rid of the ball quick. Before the receivers finished their route... He never had the ball in his hands long enough to take a sack. He never stood in the pocket because it almost instantly collapsed, so he'd have to roll out and throw it away/throw it early, or run for a couple yards.

detroit4life
03-09-2008, 11:20 PM
The reason we gave up the least amount of sacks is because Joey Harrington would ALWAYS get rid of the ball quick. Before the receivers finished their route... He never had the ball in his hands long enough to take a sack. He never stood in the pocket because it almost instantly collapsed, so he'd have to roll out and throw it away/throw it early, or run for a couple yards.

completely true Joey would avoid a sack by throwing the ball away while kitna just took the hits. Either way Oline needs to be upgraded

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-10-2008, 08:47 AM
I know Joey got rid of the ball quickly. Hence why I want to find a happy median between Joey and Kitna. See my quote from the previous post below. However, the West Coast Offense had a lot to do with the quick passes as well. Which is why the system effects the O-line the most. Maybe under Colletto with a balanced attack Backus and co. can find that happy median.

"Every year under Mooch/Marty, St Louis had at least 13 more sacks given up than we did. St Louis had Pace, we had Backus but yet we are double digit better in sacks given up. O-line is all the offense you run. We need to find that happy median between Joey "Checkdown" Harrington and Jon "Sweet Jesus another sack" Kitna"

Brothgar
03-10-2008, 09:52 AM
i hate to do it but i agree with bearsfan. we can pick up a decent enough lineman first day. so we might as well pick up the freak of nature mendenhall to balance out the offense and give us position stability for the next 6 years.

if we were perfectly lucky it would be
mendenhall, mayo, carl nicks, chevy jackson

I'd have to disagree. The dropoff between a first round and second round OT is much more than the dropoff from Mendenhall and Chris Johnson, or Ray Rice.