PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Prospect Tommorow!

Shiver
02-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Tomorrow will go along way towards settling the top Defensive Ends out. If Jamaal Anderson runs too well, he may vault ahead of our pick. Whereas Adam Carricker and Charles Johnson could vault into top-10 value. It should be fun to watch.

Meanwhile, the top two Defensive Tackles are out there. I certainly wouldn't mind having Alan Branch to play NT. A rotation of Branch and Jackson would be an unstoppable force at Nose. It will be interesting to see whether the Louisville connections will lead the team to take Amobi Okoye.

Dave
02-25-2007, 06:13 PM
The only problem I see with Branch is that he's so good. I think he is going to have such a phoenominal work out that he will shoot out of our range. I really hope Amobi Okoye does well so it would make more sense for him to be drafted by Petrino.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-25-2007, 08:36 PM
I want Anderson. I've settled on wanted him more than anyone not named Calvin Johnson.

lsantaoe
02-25-2007, 08:43 PM
I like Anderson and Okoye a lot, and Okoye is realistic. I'd say a 6'6 290 DE who runs a 4.7 won't be available, but if he runs bad I hope he falls. I know having 2 pass rushers (Adams and Abraham) would be not ideal, but I would take it...

Okoye can play NT IMO though, now he is at his playing weight and he definitely has the intelligence and strength.

Shiver
02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Is Okoye going to continue to grow into a 4-3 NT? Or is he stuck in the 3-tech role? I have seen varied reports. Some claim he is a natural run stuffer. While others compare him to Warren Sapp.

lsantaoe
02-25-2007, 10:40 PM
I'd say he can play the 1 or 3 when needed. He would play the 1 for us unless the Babs thing has consequences.

DraftMichaelHuff
02-26-2007, 05:26 AM
okoye doesnt fit. IMO he is rod coleman jonathan babineaux. Its a waste of a pick. He is only 6"1 so there is little chance you "grow" past 310lb on a 6"1 frame i dont care how old you are.
For me i will be astounded and angry if we.
1)draft an undersized DE <270
2)draft a DT under 320lbs with the frame to ad more 6"4 +
3)draft a unpolished speedy WR with questionable hands
4)draft an undersized OL eg Ryan Harris

DraftMichaelHuff
02-26-2007, 05:27 AM
okoye doesnt fit. IMO he is rod coleman jonathan babineaux. Its a waste of a pick. He is only 6"1 so there is little chance you "grow" past 310lb on a 6"1 frame i dont care how old you are.
For me i will be astounded and angry if we.
1)draft an undersized DE <270
2)draft a DT under 320lbs with the frame to ad more 6"4 +
3)draft a unpolished speedy WR with questionable hands
4)draft an undersized OL who is maxed out eg Ryan Harris

iloxygenil
02-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Okoye is already 306 pounds, he lost a lot of weight before the Senior Bowl, but that wasn't on purpose, that was just because he hadn't worked out for a couple weeks and wasn't at his game weight, he even said he was shocked when he weighed in at like 288 or whatever it was. Okoye has a TON of potential, but we'll have to see how it falls, I think we prolly should steer clear of a DT in round 1 unless it's Alan Branch, but even then, I'd like a real good DE instead.

Shiver
02-26-2007, 02:11 PM
I agree, I would love Alan Branch. He would be a force at 4-3 NT, and in rotation with Grady Jackson, would seriously help our run defense. Right now I wouldn't be thrilled at all with Amobi Okoye.

JDB7821
02-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Right now Okoye is definitely my choice for the 10 pick. Landry has a few issues with the deep ball, Nelson is too much of a tweener, and the only DE with value remotely near 10 seems to be Carriker. Okoye could spell Grady at NT and then take over next season. Remember, Ed Jasper played just fine at NT and he was undersized. He did well because he had the smarts and the technique, which are Okoye's strengths.

Shiver
02-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Watching the combine coverage I am starting to think maybe Okoye could play Nose Tackle in a 4-3. He is 6'2" 305-lbs, which isn't what you would expect from a NT. However, his arm length is huge. That usually means he has room to grow, especially at age 19. I'm not convinced yet though.

Dave
02-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Another major reason Okoye might get drafted is because he played for Petrino and would work well under him. Just a small note, I don't think hey'll get drafted by Atlanta unless we trade down and grab him IMO.

Shiver
02-27-2007, 12:21 AM
I just have a hard type justifying a top-10 DT. All the team needs is NT depth. Depth is nice, but the team needs immediate starters at LE, O-Line, FS/CB depending on what position Mike Zimmer deems Jimmy Williams to be.

d34ng3l021
04-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I want Anderson. I've settled on wanted him more than anyone not named Calvin Johnson.

Haha. Too good.