PDA

View Full Version : Scott to Titans

rascal
03-10-2008, 09:13 AM
PFT:

TITANS SNAG SCOTT

After an all-too-quiet start to free agency, the Tennessee Titans have helped fill a hole on their offensive line by creating one for a division rival.

According to the Tennessean, the Titans have agreed to terms with starting Colts guard Jake Scott. The contract will average just under $5 million per year.

Scott, a fifth-round draft pick of the Colts in 2004, started 55 games in Indy over the past three seasons. He fills the vacancy created by Jacob Bell, who left for the Rams last week.

Sveen
03-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Never a bad thing to take a good player from a division rival :)

OzTitan
03-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Was a pretty necessary signing. Wasn't expecting it as after the visit it seemed like the Titans were lowballing Scott and wouldn't budge. Not the best value deal the Titans have had this offseason but they could have done much worse in that regard - a young G who is at least a proven starter is welcome. Was a little concerned the Titans interior OL was going to be made up of players who haven't started more than 5 games between the lot of them.

With Olson possibly retiring the cost is more or less offset anyway - actually, wouldn't be surprised if it's a net cap saving for 08.

Thunder&Lightning
03-10-2008, 09:48 AM
already in the FA thread man...

but anyway, like the sign by the titans. Get a above average guard for a good price not to mention they take there division rivals starting guard. Not to shabby props to the titans.

ks_perfection
03-10-2008, 11:48 AM
I completely forgot about Scott. Its a good signing, its a big need and with Scott being so young theirs little chance of his skills declining over the length of the contract, unlike alot of Free Agents. They still have a ton of free cap space avialable.

Cashmoney
03-10-2008, 12:28 PM
I like this signing a lot, and it'll help us to have more options with our draft come draft weekend.

Splat
03-10-2008, 12:53 PM
With the crazy money going around Tinn got a steal.

EvilMonkey
03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
With the crazy money going around Tinn got a steal.

yeah, i wouldnt put Scott as an elite lineman or anything, but under 5 mil a year for a good lineman and proven starter while taking him from an in-division rival is a great move and should be a great deal money-wise as well the way it's being thrown around.

Ness
03-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Is Jake Scott that good? Five million per year seems a little expensive.

tylerb929
03-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Is Jake Scott that good? Five million per year seems a little expensive.

We'll see how good he is. Lineman who have left the Colts in the past typically become mediocre on other teams (look at DeMulling, he couldn't even stay in the league without Howard Mudd).

Geo
03-10-2008, 03:48 PM
DeMulling played his two-year contract with the Lions, and was with the Redskins last year.

Adam Meadows was released after the 03 season, and retired due to injury in training camp with the Panthers who signed him long-term. He tried coming back with the Broncos in 06.

Steve McKinney has been a 6-year starter for the Houston Texans since signing with them in 2002 as a free agent.

Eagles own the NFC East
03-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Good pickup, for a good price also, the Titans are one of the smarter organizations unlike the lets pay over 50 mil for average or injury prone players Raiders.

Dam8610
03-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Never a bad thing to take a good player from a division rival :)

What good player?

energizerbunny
03-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm convinced Scott is just the latest Howard Mudd creation, he looks average in every single aspect of the game to me.... this won't hurt the Colts at all.... Mudd will have a guy in there at RG in week 1 who is just as good or better then Scott.

Its not a horrible signing by the Titans, defiantly one out of need and it should replace Bell fine. For what its worth I think the Titans have one of the best tackle tandems in the league in Roos and Stewart... i'm actaully surprised these guys don't get more acknowledgement.

On a side note, its kind of stunning the money being thrown around for these Guards... once thought as the easiest position to fill and not worth paying big money, these guys are finally getting paid some big money.

Geo
03-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Well, it won't hurt the Colts because they already have players who could step in. So the move worked for them.

Scott is going to play right guard for the Titans, right? I can't see him at left guard, nevermind what rotoworld says because they doesn't know **** most of the time. Benji Olson is going to retire I read, which allows for Scott to step in at RG, and then have one of their guys in Amano or Harris step in at LG for the departing Bell.

Cashmoney
03-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Id prefer Harris win the LG spot. I always liked Amano better at C than G.

stephenson86
03-10-2008, 05:32 PM
loving the pick up

OzTitan
03-10-2008, 08:16 PM
It's only about $1M more a year than what Lilja got and about $500K more in total guarantees, but it's also on one less year which is less of a commitment.

Two ways to look at that - did the Colts resign Lilja believing he was the better of the two, or did they resign Lilja because he was percieved as the cheapest of the two (which didn't really turn out to be true)?

bigbluedefense
03-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Im curious to see how he performs now. If he flops, you can add that to the list of evidence of how a great qb can make his oline look better than it really is.

Peyton and Brady do this better than anyone. Both in very different ways when you break it down.

ks_perfection
03-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Playing along side very good linemen also makes a player look better.

Cashmoney
03-10-2008, 08:39 PM

If that's the case then Scott will be fine.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2008, 08:48 PM

very true. i don't think that would be the case for Scott having a dropoff in production however because Tennessee has an excellent oline. One of the best in the league.

Geo
03-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Two ways to look at that - did the Colts resign Lilja believing he was the better of the two, or did they resign Lilja because he was percieved as the cheapest of the two (which didn't really turn out to be true)?
Could be the latter, who knows. Personally I like Lilja a lot more myself, some might say Scott. I'm pleased with how it all worked out, it was a good contract for Lilja and for the Colts, locking up the left side of Ugoh and Lilja for many years.

yourfavestoner
03-10-2008, 09:15 PM
very true. i don't think that would be the case for Scott having a dropoff in production however because Tennessee has an excellent oline. One of the best in the league.

Exactly. Their offensive line will be straight as long as they hang onto those two bookend tackles. Roos and Stewart (especially Stewart) are freakin' beasts.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Exactly. Their offensive line will be straight as long as they hang onto those two bookend tackles. Roos and Stewart (especially Stewart) are freakin' beasts.

don't forget Mawaeh. if his body can hold up another year, they have top tier talent in the 3 pressure points of the oline. When I was grading olines last year, i felt that Tennessee had either the 3rd or 4th best line in the league. I can't remember exactly where i graded them.

I know I had NE followed by Dallas. I think I had Tennessee 3 on the list.

OzTitan
03-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Mawae was showing signs of slowing down a lot though. They did draft Harris from NC State though as the future center, apparently he is doing well and could crack the starting lineup this season. This is why a signing like Scott was terribly important (arguably much more than WR).

Bobo
03-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, it won't hurt the Colts because they already have players who could step in. So the move worked for them.

Scott is going to play right guard for the Titans, right? I can't see him at left guard, nevermind what rotoworld says because they doesn't know **** most of the time. Benji Olson is going to retire I read, which allows for Scott to step in at RG, and then have one of their guys in Amano or Harris step in at LG for the departing Bell.

Why would he be fine at RG and not LG? He said he's played both and it's no difference to him. This isn't like RT to LT.

I watched him close a little on my dvr after I heard he was signed. He plays very similar to Bell to me. I don't expect much change.

Geo
03-10-2008, 10:11 PM
I can't recall if/when Scott played LG for the Colts. If you could tell me, I would appreciate it.

He played RG, and RT if necessary. As a Colts fan, I hope the Titans do play him at LG though.

bearsfan_51
03-10-2008, 10:13 PM
To say there's no difference between left guard and right guard is ignorant.

Bobo
03-10-2008, 10:24 PM
I can't recall if/when Scott played LG for the Colts. If you could tell me, I would appreciate it.

He played RG, and RT if necessary. As a Colts fan, I hope the Titans do play him at LG though.

Jake Scott said: Itís never been a big issue for me to move from one position to another. Throughout college I played both sides. We played on a line where we flipped sides, so I played both right and left going through college. And I played a little bit of left guard while Iíve been in Indy. To me, it just really isnít much of an issue.

Bobo
03-10-2008, 10:27 PM
To say there's no difference between left guard and right guard is ignorant.

Well I'm sure you're not ignorant, so please grace us all with your knowledge.

I pay attention to o-line, and I've never heard this being a big deal.

bearsfan_51
03-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Well I'm sure you're not ignorant, so please grace us all with your knowledge.

I pay attention to o-line, and I've never heard this being a big deal.
The left guard needs to be much more athletic, as they usually do the majority of pulling in almost every offensive scheme. I'm sure there are some teams that frequently pull from both sides, but I can't think of any. The left guard also needs to be a better pass blocker, as they are protecting the blind side. This is why they line up across the UT, and the RG lines up across the NT. The UT is traditionally a much better pass-rushed (Warren Sapp, Tommie Harris, etc)

This is why the majority of guards that are well known, and better paid, are left guards. I believe Leonard Davis is a right guard, as is Shawn Andrews, but that's about all I can think of. It's a much easier spot to fill because there are more fat guys that can simply push forward than there are guys with nimble feet and mobility.

So, if Scott can play left guard, good for him. Hopefully that's what the Titans are paying him for, because to pay him less than what Bell got (I believe it's less, could be wrong) is a mistake.

OzTitan
03-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Paying him less than Bell is a mistake? eh?

bearsfan_51
03-10-2008, 10:44 PM
I meant more, sorry.

bearsfan_51
03-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Anyway, it doesn't matter, I just checked the numbers and Bell is making more. Which makes sense. Scott should replace Benji Olson as Geo said, which is a fine move.

OzTitan
03-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh, heh, probably should have realized that. Yeah it was less - not only per year but years wise too (6 v 4). Less guaranteed, less yearly money, and at least not a definite downgrade - could be an upgrade. Have to wait and see on that, although it probably won't be easy to see it as a distinct upgrade unless Scott is dominant, which seems unlikely. I'd say it's likely the Titans just kept the same or a similar level of ability inside the OL and paid less than what it would have cost to keep Bell.

TitanHope
03-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Howard Mudd is a great OL Coach, but I hold Mike Munchak in very high regards as well. If Scott is a Mudd-creation, I have every confidence that Munch can have success with him as well, especially considering the players he'll be lined up with.

As far as the signing goes, I'm fine with it. I like that Scott has shown that he's been able to stay healthy, which Jacob Bell had problems with at the end of last season. Plus, he's a proven starter coming from a good offensive line, which happens to be in our division, which makes it even better. It's always good to take a starter away from a rival, as if that player wasn't that good, he likely would have been sat in favor for the superior player. Scott's size worries me a bit. He's Bell's weight, nearly the same height, but he's best suited for RG instead of LG. Benji Olsen has manned the RG spot for as long as I can remember, and he's a good 320 lbs. But perhaps we need a lighter, faster OG to be able to block downfield for Vince's scrambling... And that's still not to say he won't be put at LG... Bah!

Anyway, we have Roos and Stewart at OT, with Loper as backup. Not for certain at OG, but it's looking like Scott and Leroy Harris, with Eugene Amano as backup (Though I hate Amano at G), and Mawae at OC, with Amano as backup. Amano is the future at C, and I believe Harris is already on TitansOnline's Depth Chart as the starting LG. So it's gonna potentially be Roos/Harris/Mawae/Scott/Stewart. That registers well with me. I assume we'll draft another interior lineman late in the 2nd Day too.

Either way, this signing gives us more flexibility in the Draft. Instead of keeping our eye out for a Guard in RD's 2-4, we can now focus our attention on other areas.

yourfavestoner
03-11-2008, 05:33 PM
The left guard needs to be much more athletic, as they usually do the majority of pulling in almost every offensive scheme. I'm sure there are some teams that frequently pull from both sides, but I can't think of any. The left guard also needs to be a better pass blocker, as they are protecting the blind side. This is why they line up across the UT, and the RG lines up across the NT. The UT is traditionally a much better pass-rushed (Warren Sapp, Tommie Harris, etc)

This is why the majority of guards that are well known, and better paid, are left guards. I believe Leonard Davis is a right guard, as is Shawn Andrews, but that's about all I can think of. It's a much easier spot to fill because there are more fat guys that can simply push forward than there are guys with nimble feet and mobility.

So, if Scott can play left guard, good for him. Hopefully that's what the Titans are paying him for, because to pay him less than what Bell got (I believe it's less, could be wrong) is a mistake.

It's usually the other way around. Usually,the UT is lined up outside shade of the right guard, while the NT is lined up in the gap between the left guard and center. It forces the C to help the LG with the NT in the gap and frees a one on one matchup with the LT and RE. It also makes it harder to scheme for a double team on the UT.

Bobo
03-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Of the teams I've followed, I've seen d-lineman swap positions many times. Or how they rush is different. The matchup against the o-line changes a lot. Regardless, Scott is more like Bell than Olsen. If we did so well with Bell on the left, we should with Scott there. But in the likely event Olsen retires, Scott will probably go right. Either way, it doesn't sound like they are afraid to put him anywhere, and we've had OG's move around here.

Titanhope, Bell and Scott are almost exactly the same size....listed size anyway. Where did you get Scott was 5" taller?

OzTitan
03-11-2008, 07:52 PM
The similarities between Bell and Scott are almost silly in occurance - both almost the same size (295lb, Bell 6'4" Scott 6'5"), both are similar styled players, both were not only drafted in 2004 and not only in the 5th round, but actually 3 picks apart. Almost the same first name. Birthday's about a month apart.

Oh and when searching their names in Google, the Wikipedia link return for both leads to another person with the same name (Jacob Bell the 'British pharmaceutical chemist' and Jake Scott the ex-Dolphins safety) :)

Geo
03-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Maybe Scott does work out at LG for the Titans. It will be interesting to see how it works.

Billingsley26
03-11-2008, 08:33 PM
It's usually the other way around. Usually,the UT is lined up outside shade of the right guard, while the NT is lined up in the gap between the left guard and center. It forces the C to help the LG with the NT in the gap and frees a one on one matchup with the LT and RE. It also makes it harder to scheme for a double team on the UT.

Yes, this is correct. The UT, in football terms, will play the 'B' gap, where the NT will play the 'A'.

TitanHope
03-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Titanhope, Bell and Scott are almost exactly the same size....listed size anyway. Where did you get Scott was 5" taller?

I was reading an article on the NFL website, and I could have sworn it said that Scott was 6'9. The abnormal height itself registered odd to me, and I believe I checked it twice and saw 6'9 again. But note that I am also on a different computer currently, whose monitor is stationed about twice as far away from where I sit. And someone said that Scott played RT too, so I figured the large height was a part of his G/T capabilities, so it at least made a little sense at the time.

Looking back on it, I dunno what I was thinkin... *takes another shot and takes another toke* ...aw yeah...I shouldn'ta' done dis man...

As for the great debate of where lineman lineup, I always believed it was RE/LT, UT/LG, NT/C+RG, LE/RT. Then there are TE and RB's who can stay in to block. But yeah, the UT lines up across from the LG, and the NT lines up between the C and RG, which leaves the Ends and Tackles on the edges.