PDA

View Full Version : Is it 2007? We Renewed our KJ Insurance

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-10-2008, 11:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3286104

I had a sneaky supsicion he would be back once Jones/Duckett signed with Seattle.

Say goodbye to a first round running back

Brodeur
03-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Why the **** is Tatum coming back? I would think several healthy scratches would persuade him to go elsewhere but whatever.

jbombul
03-10-2008, 11:48 AM

looks less and less likely they go running back first round

jbombul
03-10-2008, 11:50 AM
oh ya beat me to it! yea im really thinking we go d-line with our first pick, kalimba will be gone and i dont think we resign corey smith. Marinelli was rumored to be very interested in gaines adams as well last year

TacticaLion
03-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Sweet... I'm glad.

I also don't think a 1st round RB is out of the question. It's a 1 year deal and KJ will most likely be gone next year. We could use a permanent playmaker at the position.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Martz is gone and KJ is hurt again. Bell has something to prove and will have a huge chip on his shoulder.

Not the best move for all of you wanting RB in the 1st round, but Bell does have some talent, even though Martz didn't think so. It just shows how Marinelli had no control over the offense.

TacticaLion
03-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Why the **** is Tatum coming back? I would think several healthy scratches would persuade him to go elsewhere but whatever.

Umm... he was a healthy scratch because he fell out of favor with Martz. He even said that he'd consider coming back because Martz is gone.

He's a talented RB and I'm glad to have him back.

Brothgar
03-10-2008, 12:06 PM

I had a sneaky supsicion he would be back once Jones/Duckett signed with Seattle.

Say goodbye to a first round running back

I wouldn't say that so fast. I don't think that a 1 year 1.6 mil contract is saying goodbye to a 1st round RB I don't think that even Millen would tip his hand that much

Brodeur
03-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Umm... he was a healthy scratch because he fell out of favor with Martz. He even said that he'd consider coming back because Martz is gone.

He's a talented RB and I'm glad to have him back.

Meh, I don't have a problem with him being back but I don't think it should persuade the Lions to not take a RB early on. I don't really think he's much more than average though.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't say that so fast. I don't think that a 1 year 1.6 mil contract is saying goodbye to a 1st round RB I don't think that even Millen would tip his hand that much

Millen is the king of stopgap solutions though. I wouldn't completely rule out a RB, but its less likely now with KJ, Bell, Calhoun and Cason on the roster.

Brothgar
03-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Millen is the king of stopgap solutions though. I wouldn't completely rule out a RB, but its less likely now with KJ, Bell, Calhoun and Cason on the roster.

Good point well made.

Geo
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
I agree, I don't think this eliminates the Lions drafting a runningback ... early even. (I know - I've been saying for some time that I think Millen takes Mendenhall.) Keep in mind that both Bell and Jones are signed through 08, leaving only Calhoun and Cason for 09 in terms of the currently constructed roster.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Lions still drafted Mendenhall, and maybe even cut Kevin Jones if they did. Rotoworld says KJ has a base salary of $2.37M in the final year of his rookie deal ... ehh, that's too much imo for a back who can't even play a full season and won't be healthy to start 08.

TacticaLion
03-10-2008, 01:03 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if the Lions still drafted Mendenhall, and maybe even cut Kevin Jones if they did. Rotoworld says KJ has a base salary of $2.37M in the final year of his rookie deal ... ehh, that's too much imo for a back who can't even play a full season and won't be healthy to start 08.Instead, why not trade him for a mid round pick?

Geo
03-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Who will trade a mid-round pick (or any pick for that matter) for KJ recovering from a torn ACL and having only one year left on his contract? Especially with such a deep RB class?

TacticaLion
03-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Who will trade a mid-round pick (or any pick for that matter) for KJ recovering from a torn ACL and having only one year left on his contract? Especially with such a deep RB class?

You're telling me that a team wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for KJones?

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

LonghornsLegend
03-10-2008, 01:20 PM

Your right, id give up a 4th and pair him with Barber and he happy about it...The guy is still a beast, and thats not much to give up for a young rb, im sure other teams would part ways with a 5th as well if they needed to...

The Bell signing surprises me, supposedly Dallas had mild interest, and I thought Tatum wanted out of Det badly but I guess things change.

TacticaLion
03-10-2008, 01:24 PM
The Bell signing surprises me, supposedly Dallas had mild interest, and I thought Tatum wanted out of Det badly but I guess things change.

Yeah. It's really the same with Foster. They fell out of favor with Martz (Bell was benched, Foster can't pass protect the entire game), but, with Martz gone, were interested in coming back.

It's good to have them. I'd like to see what they can do in a real offense.

Brothgar
03-10-2008, 01:29 PM

Teams I could see doing it.

1) Houston Texans - They like the Broncos collect mediocre RB and spin them into gold. Freeing up all day 1 picks for something more useful most I see is a 4th more likely a 5th

2) Greenbay Packers - The Packers are starting the whole RB by committee thing that has become trendy in the NFL. Plus KJ knows intricate secrets of how both the offence and defence work makes a better shot that GB beats the Lions next year (Favre is gone so a little extra insurance wouldn't hurt). The one with the upper hand is going to screw over the team with the disadvantage. so I couldn't see more than a 6th for him.

3) Denver Broncos - Whenever there is a player that the Lions don't want somehow the Broncos are always in the discussion take a combination of the Texans and packers could see a 4th for him there.

3)

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah. It's really the same with Foster. They fell out of favor with Martz (Bell was benched, Foster can't pass protect the entire game), but, with Martz gone, were interested in coming back.

It's good to have them. I'd like to see what they can do in a real offense.

Foster is just bad and didn't fit Martzs pass happy scheme. Bell didn't really get a chance once KJ returned.

Scotty D
03-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Maybe the Dre Bly deal won't look so bad? lol its a long shot but atleast thay have an opportunity to do it. I remember George Foster have some devastating pancake blocks last year. I'm not even sure both these guys have anything preventing us from just cutting them without penalty.

TacticaLion
03-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Maybe the Dre Bly deal won't look so bad? lol its a long shot but atleast thay have an opportunity to do it. I remember George Foster have some devastating pancake blocks last year. I'm not even sure both these guys have anything preventing us from just cutting them without penalty.Yeah... most of the hate against Foster is the false starts (which are pathetic... I'm not condoning it). He played OK, but the constant passing is hard against most OLinemen.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Foster gave up 11 sacks and only started 9 games. Granted we had the Martz pass happy, sack happy offense but still that is bad. At least Backus had the excuse of being hurt and having to cover the better pass rushers. I expect Jonathan Scott to be the starter if healthy.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=6356&team=8

Addict
03-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't see why this changes anything about our need for a healthy, durable starting caliber RB...

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-10-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't see why this changes anything about our need for a healthy, durable starting caliber RB...

It very well might in Millens eyes. Tatum is healthy and of starter caliber. Not good starter caliber, but starter caliber. Plus we have 3 other RBs, one other being of starter caliber as well. We'll know on draft day I guess.

jbombul
03-10-2008, 08:14 PM
maybe with the signing of bell, they take a running back later on in this draft, or they figure they can address it next year and get some playmakers on the defensive side of the ball? i just figure that tatum bell will enter training camp the starter until kj returns healthy. remember, jim colletto runs a zone blocking scheme, the same scheme that bell had his best year in

TacticaLion
03-10-2008, 09:09 PM
It very well might in Millens eyes. Tatum is healthy and of starter caliber. Not good starter caliber, but starter caliber. Plus we have 3 other RBs, one other being of starter caliber as well. We'll know on draft day I guess.We may have 3 "others", but our two best have 1 year left. Cason isn't a starter and Calhoun hasn't done anything to make me believe he can perform.

In my opinion, signing Bell to a 1 year deal tells me they're going to look for a RB in round 1. If they would've signed someone long term, I'd feel differently.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-10-2008, 09:41 PM
We may have 3 "others", but our two best have 1 year left. Cason isn't a starter and Calhoun hasn't done anything to make me believe he can perform.

In my opinion, signing Bell to a 1 year deal tells me they're going to look for a RB in round 1. If they would've signed someone long term, I'd feel differently.

I've said it before. Millen is the stopgap king. And running back is a position where you can get a stopgap for a year. A rookie RB next year can come right in and play. And there will be a RB next year. Nobody knew about Mendenhall until this year. A rookie DE this year however will take a year to develop. We need that year to develop a DE because we are not legitimate contenders this year. Martz is gone. Our defense was terrible. We should be going defense in Round 1.

detroit4life
03-10-2008, 09:41 PM
We may have 3 "others", but our two best have 1 year left. Cason isn't a starter and Calhoun hasn't done anything to make me believe he can perform.

who is there to sign to a long term deal? We missed out on julius jones this is plan B. They have two guys here that cand carry the load. Let KJ run wild in his contract year then look for a replacement. This year we dont need a new RB and rookie RB's take little time to adjust to the NFL. So lets take defense and OT now because they will have to adjust. Next year we can look for a new RB when KJ and Bell are both gone

TacticaLion
03-10-2008, 09:53 PM
who is there to sign to a long term deal? We missed out on julius jones this is plan B. They have two guys here that cand carry the load. Let KJ run wild in his contract year then look for a replacement. This year we dont need a new RB and rookie RB's take little time to adjust to the NFL. So lets take defense and OT now because they will have to adjust. Next year we can look for a new RB when KJ and Bell are both goneI doubt that Bell and KJ will both stay healthy for the entire season.

That being said, I think now is the time to draft the rookie. There are some very talented RBs early in the draft... take one now and rotate him with Bell early. When KJ comes back, put the rookie in every now and then. Let him learn in a year where he doesn't have to be the #1.

Then, next year, we can resign Bell (if he has a good season) or sign a vet to back him up.

detknowitall
03-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord that Millens soul he will keep. And If he dies before he wakes, I hope a running back in the 1st we dont take.

ESimsfan87
03-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord that Millens soul he will keep. And If he dies before he wakes, I hope a running back in the 1st we dont take.

"Enterrrrr LIGHT..... ENTERRRR NIGHTTTTTT"

Prowler
03-12-2008, 08:16 PM
and then rashard mendenhall appears and says, "take my hand we're off to never never land." (as in the place we've never been to, and are constantly rebuilding for)

Geo
03-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Or at least since Barry Sanders was playing. Wow, that seems longer than it really is. Huh.

Prowler
03-13-2008, 12:23 PM
i was thinking our first super bowl, but winning a 2nd playoff game in franchise history would be nice.