PDA

View Full Version : Remember Clemson RB Ray Ray

kwilk103
03-10-2008, 01:00 PM
the guy who got a waiver b/c of his family problems for coaches to help him out? he graduated, but still has 2 years to play

they didnt renew his scholly

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/

LonghornsLegend
03-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Is this the guy who was taking care of his little brother? I guess its understandable to not get his scholarship renewed #1 because he already graduated, and #2 he wasnt going to be a starter, but if this is the guy it was a great story, I have all the respect in the world for that guy.

princefielder28
03-10-2008, 01:22 PM
When I saw the piece about him on ESPN it left me speechless...this guy is a class act and is one of a kind

cdub11
03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
I remember that story also, very classy guy!

kwilk103
03-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Is this the guy who was taking care of his little brother? I guess its understandable to not get his scholarship renewed #1 because he already graduated, and #2 he wasnt going to be a starter, but if this is the guy it was a great story, I have all the respect in the world for that guy.

same guy

and about your point #2; so what he wasnt gonna be a starter? there are tons that wont but still get schollies

he could have gone to grad school with that scholly

Brent
03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Wow, what a sh*tty situation.

iowatreat54
03-10-2008, 03:30 PM
that's so messed up...but if they cite depth in the backfield as one of the reasons they don't need him, why not move him back to DB where you need tons of depth and could use him on STs? There's just multiple options that could be utilized if the program really wanted to help him out, which makes it apparent that they pretty much could care less now..

etk
03-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm not surprised to see this after Joeyjr posted the truth on what happened with Jamie Harper and Clemson in the recruiting thread. Maybe now some of you will believe what really happens behind the scenes with a coaching scum like Tommy Bowden.

roidrunner
03-10-2008, 04:21 PM
they should give the kid the scholarship. i mean seriously, Ray Ray made a pact to play at clemson for 4 years in exchange for 4 years of playing. so what if he graduated early. he still has time to play. let the kid get his masters. atleast it will not make your school look like a complete Dbag.

Nitschke-Hawk
03-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I thought they moved him to DB, I guess it was the other way around... Anyway I'd be trying to get him on my team. He at least sets an excellent example for others. This is wrong. Hopefully Bowden feels the heat for this one.

roidrunner
03-10-2008, 04:25 PM
lets go trash Clemson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we need pitch forks and torches....

who's in????

thebow305
03-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Wow what a classless move by Bowden on probably the classiest guy in the world in Ray Ray.

iowatreat54
03-10-2008, 05:54 PM
the other thing that sucks is sure he can try and play at another school, but then he has to pickup and move everything, including his little brother, to a new area and new schools, which would suck for his little brother...I guess I just don't see the logic in saying there's already depth at his position when he can just switch back to his old one and that they are over the limit on schollies, so why kick off a player with experience, obviously has skill, and great character to take a chance on new incoming freshmen...it just doesn't make sense

kwilk103
03-10-2008, 06:28 PM
i hate takin away any players scholly----unless they have gotten into trouble; and even then it depends on the circumstances---bar fights, underage drinking, punishments usually enough

lookin at jail time---take their scholly away

but this is just wrong---im sure if wvu had a scholly, coach stew would offer him one

themaninblack
03-10-2008, 06:34 PM
thats terrible.

TimD
03-10-2008, 06:38 PM
These schools have so much money from donations that they don't need the tuition of everyone. They should give him a grant or something. Let him get a degree.

BaLLiN
03-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Give him a different scholarship, doesnt have to be athletic, maybe something having to do with character because it takes alot of it to balance college, a son (brother really) as a single parent, football, and taking care of yourself.

YAYareaRB
03-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Classless, Totally Classless.. I hope this gets out to major media.. as a matter of fact, I'm gonna E-Mail SOMEBODY at ESPN about this. This really pisses me off to the max

etk
03-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Classless, Totally Classless.. I hope this gets out to major media.. as a matter of fact, I'm gonna E-Mail SOMEBODY at ESPN about this. This really pisses me off to the max

Don't you think fans of Clemson's rival schools have already done that? LOL.

YAYareaRB
03-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Don't you think fans of Clemson's rival schools have already done that? LOL.

It made me feel a little better about the whole situation. This is one of those things when it just doesn't ever sit right with you until you do something or something is done. I e-mailed Pete Fiutak, College Football News/Fox Sports CF writer. Hopefully I get something back from him

etk
03-10-2008, 10:55 PM
No, I respect you taking the time to send that letter....it's called walking your talk, but you're definitely not the first.

YAYareaRB
03-10-2008, 10:56 PM
No, I respect you taking the time to send that letter....it's called walking your talk, but you're definitely not the first.

It would be a damn shame if I was the first lol

Joeyjr09
03-11-2008, 04:19 PM
It really is sad how Clemson treated this kid.

Apprently coaching did like the football was taking a back seat to school and his brother. Ray Ray took 21 credits last semester and was on the honor roll but coaches didn't think he could balance football, academics and a family.

But then the truth came out. Clemson is over the 85 man limit on schollies and someone had to go.

It's really sad to see an honor roll student and all around great person treated this way, the kid did everything he was asked to do and was giving it his all. The Tigers should have done right by him and allowed him to finish his 2 years.

Btw...I was ripped on the recruiting board for saying that Clemson landed Jaime Harper by threatening to pull his best friends (Daniel Andrews) Scholarship. Everyone tore into me calling me all sorts of stuff and saying how disgusting me and our rivals guys were as human beings for even suggesting a coach would sink that low and that it's recruiting suicide.

Well guess what, now Clemson has basically done the exact same thing. They pulled Ray Ray's scholly to give it to another kid when Ray Ray had done nothing but give his all to them. Clemson is a bunch of scumbags and I hope this makes y'all open your eyes and maybe offer up an apology for the horrible stuff y'all were saying to me.

If Clemson is capable of this, they are definately capable of threatening to pull Andrews scholarship in order to make sure Harper committed.They had more of a relationship with Ray Ray then they ever did with Andrews and still stabbed him in the back.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/mar/09/ray_ray_finished_playing_tigers33202

P-L
03-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Btw...I was ripped on the recruiting board for saying that Clemson landed Jaime Harper by threatening to pull his best friends (Daniel Andrews) Scholarship. Everyone tore into me calling me all sorts of stuff and saying how disgusting me and our rivals guys were as human beings for even suggesting a coach would sink that low and that it's recruiting suicide.

Well guess what, now Clemson has basically done the exact same thing. They pulled Ray Ray's scholly to give it to another kid when Ray Ray had done nothing but give his all to them. Clemson is a bunch of scumbags and I hope this makes y'all open your eyes and maybe offer up an apology for the horrible stuff y'all were saying to me.
You have zero proof that actually happened. Now I'm not going to deny that it did, but unless you back that claim up with more than "our rivals guy" then don't come demanding an apology.

BamaFalcon59
03-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah, not a fan of Tommy Bowden.

Joeyjr09
03-11-2008, 04:44 PM
You have zero proof that actually happened. Now I'm not going to deny that it did, but unless you back that claim up with more than "our rivals guy" then don't come demanding an apology.

Of course I have no proof that it actually happened. But it was something that was reported by our guy and I got ripped to pieces for even mentioning it. People were trashing me right and left and saying some horrible stuff. I was cruicfied for even thinking something like that was remotely possible.

Now this comes out which is a very similar type of act that has actually taken place. So obviously what I said wasn't that far fetched. If Clemson was willing to do this with Ray Ray then what's stopping them from doing it with Andrews?

I might not have proof but at least there's more fuel to the fire and even if you don't agree with me the things that were said out there were pretty damn bad and fairly in excusable. I've never seen anyone treated that bad on these boards the way I was treated that day and whether I the info I share was right or wrong there was no reason for all the crap I got for trying to share it. So please, forgive me if I take this as a great opportunity to voice how utterly out of control that little discussion got and my displeasure for what happened when all I did was pass info along that obviously isn't too far fetched given the new info on how Clemson treats their players.

I'm not trying to rub it in and say I was right because only Clemson and Harper know for sure, I'm just trying to show people that maybe they should think before they open their mouths and spew out the kinda crap I got when I posted that.

etk
03-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Of course I have no proof that it actually happened. But it was something that was reported by our guy and I got ripped to pieces for even mentioning it. People were trashing me right and left and saying some horrible stuff. I was cruicfied for even thinking something like that was remotely possible.

Now this comes out which is a very similar type of act that has actually taken place. So obviously what I said wasn't that far fetched. If Clemson was willing to do this with Ray Ray then what's stopping them from doing it with Andrews?

I might not have proof but at least there's more fuel to the fire and even if you don't agree with me the things that were said out there were pretty damn bad and fairly in excusable. I've never seen anyone treated that bad on these boards the way I was treated that day and whether I the info I share was right or wrong there was no reason for all the crap I got for trying to share it. So please, forgive me if I take this as a great opportunity to voice how utterly out of control that little discussion got and my displeasure for what happened when all I did was pass info along that obviously isn't too far fetched given the new info on how Clemson treats their players.

I'm not trying to rub it in and say I was right because only Clemson and Harper know for sure, I'm just trying to show people that maybe they should think before they open their mouths and spew out the kinda crap I got when I posted that.

Yeah and they did/said the same things to me when I defended what you said. Especially the 2 Illinois homers, lol. As fans of the game we don't know what boundaries there are in football and recruiting matters, so I ask all of you to stop being so naive and start being more realistic. Stuff like this happens with a lot of coaches/programs.

kwilk103
03-11-2008, 07:55 PM
the only good thing about tommy bowden is his daughter (google her if you havent seen her)

Yung Flippa
03-11-2008, 08:18 PM
That's really messed up, they couldn't just let him keep the scholarship, I think he's more then deserving of it with all the things he's done to help his little brother out.

eazyb81
03-12-2008, 05:27 PM
What a trash program. Clemson and Bowden are f'n jokes.

I'll be rooting against Bowden from here on out.

mqtirishfan
03-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Here's a crazy thought. What if the time off football (where he had to take care of a kid instead of working toward next season like his teammmates) made him a player who was unable to contribute to the Clemson football team? This isn't Rudy, college programs need to have the very best players in the program, and if he wasn't good enough anymore, why should they keep him on the team? Being a great person doesn't cut it in sports.

kwilk103
03-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Here's a crazy thought. What if the time off football (where he had to take care of a kid instead of working toward next season like his teammmates) made him a player who was unable to contribute to the Clemson football team? This isn't Rudy, college programs need to have the very best players in the program, and if he wasn't good enough anymore, why should they keep him on the team? Being a great person doesn't cut it in sports.

there are tons of kids that arent good enough that keep their schollies

Joeyjr09
03-12-2008, 07:11 PM

If they didn't want him on the team, they should have just realized him from the football program but allow him to keep a scholarship provided by the school like most programs do. It's not like the kid didn't have the grades, he was on the honor roll while taking 21 credits last semester. He graduated in 3 years and was looking to go towards his masters. The school made a 4 year commitment to him and he did to them. He held up his end and the school did not.

mqtirishfan
03-12-2008, 07:34 PM
there are tons of kids that arent good enough that keep their schollies

But if he graduated, do they have to honor that scholarship if he can't cut it? Hell, do they have to honor the scholarship if he's still in school? I doubt it, or there'd be a bigger uproar than it being a dick move, which it was. However, football is about putting the best players out there to win, not to reward people for being upstanding citizens.

mqtirishfan
03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
The school made a 4 year commitment to him and he did to them. He held up his end and the school did not.

They made a commitment to get him a college education for free, which they did. It can be very reasonably argued that he did not hold up his end if his role as a father figure affected his ability to committ full-time to football. It really sucks, but that's reality.

iowatreat54
03-12-2008, 10:18 PM
They made a commitment to get him a college education for free, which they did. It can be very reasonably argued that he did not hold up his end if his role as a father figure affected his ability to committ full-time to football. It really sucks, but that's reality.

ok let's not look at this as they are taking away his scholarship, because people get schollies pulled all the time...it's basically outrageous that they didn't even consult him beforehand or try and work anything out with him to help him stay at Clemson...they basically just said, "Oh, you graduated already? Well, we need your scholarship for incoming freshmen that will help us win football games, so you don't get one anymore. Have a good life."

so I don't look at it as they took a scholarship away from someone I believe they should keep, but more of they were complete dbags going about the situation...I've lost pretty much all respect for their football program, and a lot for their university

YAYareaRB
03-13-2008, 12:09 AM

He never took off time to take care of the kid. As it has been said before he was balancing football, parenthood/brotherhood, and school at the same time.