PDA

View Full Version : First Mock of 2008 (Explanations included)

B-Jac27Future
03-10-2008, 04:46 PM
1. Dolphins- DE Chris Long Virginia
I really think if someone wants to trade up Parcells will do it in an instant but the only possible option I see is the Cowboys in an effort to pick up Mcfadden but I think the price will just be too high. Chris Long has the high end motor Parcells loves and was the anchor of a great UVA defense, could play end or OLB for the Phins.

2. Rams- OT Jake Long Michigan
Arguably the most polished player in the draft, the Rams problems at tackle will be fixed with Long. Pace's injury problems have gotten to be too much, he could be moved to RT after bringing in Long.

3. Falcons- QB Matt Ryan Boston College
I know some may say the value isn't right here and I agree but the Falcons simply HAVE to pick up a QB and cannot take any chances, Ryan is the best QB in the draft and has potential if coached right.

4. Raiders- RB Darren McFadden Arkansas
I know Al Rivers is senile but anyone could make this pick, Mcfadden is the best player in the draft with the most upside (in my opinion). After breaking 4.3 in the 40 he surely isn't dropping anywhere and the Raiders will be happy to sweep him up with dreams of superbowls led by Mcfadden and Russell.

5.Chiefs- DT Glenn Dorsey LSU
Hoping to have Jake Long fall in there laps but getting a player with more upside is not such a bad thing. DT is in the top 2 positions of need for the Chiefs and Dorsey is the BPA here, with TONS of upside.

6. Jets- DE/OLB Vernon Gholston Ohio St.
Perfect addition to the 3-4 scheme for Mangini and co, Gholston will be a force on the outside in the mold of Merriman and Ware.

7. Patriots (Traded to Broncos for #12 overall and a 3rd) Broncos- DT Sedrick Ellis USC
Broncos jump up to pick up Ellis before anyone else can, the most polished DT in the draft who will be a stud at the next level. The Broncos will benefit greatly from an anchor in the middle of there D, teams will not be able to run all over them and there great corners will be able to make more plays.

8. Ravens- CB Leodis Mckelvin Troy
Future shut down corner, will be able to man up with anyone in the league in no time. One could argue the Ravens need offense more and I agree but unless one of the DT falls here they aren't going to find a partner to trade down and the value is not worth it to take a WR here.
9. Bengals- DE Philip Merling Clemson
With both DTs off the board the Bengals are forced to look for the replacement of Justin Smith. Merling has very high upside and will be a force chasing QBs for his whole career.

10.Saints- CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tenn. St
Highest upside in the draft and at a postition of need for the Saints. DRC could come out of as the best player in this draft a few years down the road and the Saints won't pass up on the chance with there aging corners.

11.Bills- WR Limas Sweed Texas
Bills absolutely have to get a big target to compliment Lee Evans, this will balance out there offense much more, freeing up Evans and creating space in the box for Lynch to do some more things in his second year. Sweed might not be the BPA here but he is close and is in a postition of desperate need for the Bills

12.Patriots (From Broncos)- LB Keith Rivers USC
The Patriots linebackers aren't getting any younger, especially on the inside, with Bruschi in his final year most likely and Seau growing older and older the Patriots have a desperate need for a LB. One could argue for Jenkins here but Belichek doesn't like drafting CBs high and for good reason, his scheme doesn't require pure talent in the secondary as much as it does in the front 7.

13. Panthers- OT Ryan Clady Boise St.
BPA and in a postiion of need. Wharton got a long term deal but they cannot turn down the future stud LT in Clady, especially with the future of Gross in doubt in the coming years.

14. Bears- OT Chris Williams Vanderbilt
Bears absolutely have to get a tackle high in this tackle rich draft, they were hoping to have Clady slip to them but Williams will do just fine, he has tons of upside and is an absolute monster.

15.Lions- RB Rashard Mendenhall Illinois
I would have said Mike Jenkins here but the Lions stole Leigh Bodden from the Browns so CB isn't such a high need as it was before, Bodden is a good player with his better years ahead of him. At RB on the otherhand, the Lions didn't change anything up, Bell isn't durable enough to carry the full load but sharing the load with Mendenhall would work work perfectly.

16. Cardinals- CB Mike Jenkins UCF
This move solidifies the Cards secondary in two ways, Rolle can move to S with no big problems left at CB and Jenkins can start making plays in the NFL. Jenkins is also the BPA here.

17. Vikings- DE Derrick Harvey Florida
Vikings problem last year was the lack of pass rush in my opinion and Harvey would be a perfect fit to start instilling fear in opposing quarterbacks.

18. Texans- RB Jonathan Stewart Oregon
They lost Dayne and Green is pretty much done, the Texans need a RB in the worst of ways and Stewarts "rare blend of size and speed" is just what they are looking for. Stewart has all the tools to be a great feature back in the NFL.

19.Eagles- WR Malcolm Kelly Oklahoma
What Mcnabb wants Mcnabb gets and in this case its a big physical target at WR, the Eagles were desperately trying to fix this with a trade or in free agency but Moss opted to give it another shot at a ring and the Cards aren't letting Fitz go anywhere so Kelly is the best option.

20. Buccaneers- WR Desean Jackson Cal.
Ike Hilliard and Joey Galloway are both towards the end of there careers and the Buccs could use a future #1 in the worst of ways. Jackson is one of the BPA here and has a bright future in the NFL. Said to have better hands than Ginn did a year ago with the same speed, could also return kicks.

21. Redskins- DT Kentwan Balmer North Carolina
The value at safety simply isn't there here in the first round and none of the top cornerbacks fell so the Redskins are forced to solidify there d line, something they've been needing to do for a few years now. Balmer is a great prospect who will free things up a lot in the front 7 for the skins.

22. Cowboys- RB Felix Jones Arkansas
I could see Jones being greedy enough to trade both 1sts and Barber to the Phins for Mcfadden but I'm not going to predict something so crazy on this mock so we'll go with the other blazing Razorback, Felix Jones. Jones' speed will be a perfect compliment to Barber's physicality, it doesn't hurt that he is a fellow allum of Arkansas like the boss, Jerry Jones.

23. Steelers- OG Branden Albert Virginia
Some of the highest upside in the draft and after losing the best guard in the NFL in Alan Faneca the Steelers have a large whole that needs to be filled on the offensive line, Albert will do great in Pittsburgh.

24. Titans- WR Devin Thomas
Thomas is another high upside guy with great size and speed. Only needs to work on his routes which will be easy with NFL coaching. Young finally gets his deep threat and finds a player who is a threat to score every time he touches the ball in the proccess.

25. Seahawks- TE Fred Davis
A bit of a reach here but the Seahawks are deep enough to reach without worrying about it. Davis is a fine prospect and will be the receiving threat at TE the Hawks have been lacking since Stevens left.

26. Jaguars- DE Quentin Groves
Jags need a speed rusher bad and Groves happened to fall in their lap. With all the playmakers already in place in Jax Groves will accel from day 1.

27. Chargers- S Kenny Phillips
Tough decision between Smith and Phillips but I think the Chargers will elect to go with the definite safety rather than a tweener.

28. Cowboys- CB Aquib Talib
Cowboys needed secondary help last year and that was before they lost Reeves (not that he was anything special). Talib will be a great nickel back until a starting job opens up, a huge upgrade from the worst 3rd CB in the league last year, Jacques Reeves.

29. 49ers- WR James Hardy
Bruce has 1-2 years left in the tank and is nothing like he used to be so the 49ers still need a true #1, luckily the TD machine, James Hardy is right there as the answer. Hardy has a bright future in the nfl with his hops and height he will always be a threat.

30. Packers- LB Dan Connor
BPA here, Connor will be great on the strongside for the Packers, improving their already spectacular front 7 with a high character proven player from the Linebacker U.

31. Giants- S Reggie Smith
The Giants have been lacking a centerfield type of safety for a long time now and its been very prevelent by the gaping holes in the middle of the secondary year in and year out. Smith has the speed and playmaking skills to be a ball hawk in the middle of the field for years.

What do you guys think? I am working on a second round but wanted to see what the fans of teams thought of picks before I started. If you have any problems please suggest a different player.

BigJohn98
03-10-2008, 05:09 PM
26. Jaguars- DE Quentin Groves
Jags need a speed rusher bad and Groves happened to fall in their lap. With all the playmakers already in place in Jax Groves will accel from day 1.

That's perfect.

BaLLiN
03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
31. Giants- S Reggie Smith
The Giants have been lacking a centerfield type of safety for a long time now and its been very prevelent by the gaping holes in the middle of the secondary year in and year out. Smith has the speed and playmaking skills to be a ball hawk in the middle of the field for years.

thank you, he is exactly what we need, personally i'd take him over kenny phillips.

B-Jac27Future
03-10-2008, 05:28 PM
thank you, he is exactly what we need, personally i'd take him over kenny phillips.

As would I, we need a centerfielder not a slow player who can light people up once in a while. I think Smith is going to be much better. I'm just worried he isn't going to last to pick 31. I really don't want us using a pick on a LB in the first round and I don't think Reese will given his eye for talent in the secondary and obvious acknowledgement for an upgrade (interest in Hall).

We also already signed a guy who can play in the box and help in run support, Sammy Knight. Even if Phillips is on the board and Smith isn't I don't see us picking him.

proshoota25
03-10-2008, 05:32 PM
love the patriots pick, and love the trade.... we pick up an extra pick for being in a spot we dont want to be in..... and still get one of the guys we target

thebow305
03-10-2008, 05:35 PM
AWESOME Phins pick!

bruschis4all
03-10-2008, 06:03 PM
love the patriots pick, and love the trade.... we pick up an extra pick for being in a spot we dont want to be in..... and still get one of the guys we target

I want Denver two or no deal. Because, I tell them I have Carolina on the phone and they are making an offer. I'd throw em a 5 to balance out points. But, want that 2. I'd even trade down from 12 then. Because, I have a feeling Cason fits our scheme better than some of the higher rated cb's. He has the speed to be a cover 2 corner. And, better instincts than the other guys. Sounds a lot like A.Samuel except a little bigger and faster.

B-Jac27Future
03-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Well yeah thats what you'd do if you were the Pats GM but this is just a mock, predicting trades is hard enough let alone multiple trade downs. I was just matching up the points and making a trade that would work very well for both teams.

BaLLiN
03-10-2008, 06:09 PM
As would I, we need a centerfielder not a slow player who can light people up once in a while. I think Smith is going to be much better. I'm just worried he isn't going to last to pick 31. I really don't want us using a pick on a LB in the first round and I don't think Reese will given his eye for talent in the secondary and obvious acknowledgement for an upgrade (interest in Hall).

We also already signed a guy who can play in the box and help in run support, Sammy Knight. Even if Phillips is on the board and Smith isn't I don't see us picking him.

If Phillips is on the board and Smith isn't, we're going to take Phillips most likely.

B-Jac27Future
03-10-2008, 06:17 PM
If Phillips is on the board and Smith isn't, we're going to take Phillips most likely.

Basing picks off need is a bad habit. BPA is always the best way to draft and it definitely worked last year. Phillips will not be the BPA, his 4.55 and stiff hips have no place in a centerfield role, we don't want 3 of the same safeties in Butler, Johnson, and Knight. We have to pick up Smith, Cason, Porter, Lee, or maybe even trade up for Mckelvin or DRC.

Thunder&Lightning
03-10-2008, 07:13 PM
amazing chargers pick!

hugegmenfan
03-10-2008, 07:26 PM
perfect giants pick

but also its al davis not al rivers :) but no worries

BaLLiN
03-10-2008, 07:26 PM
perfect giants pick

hahah Al Rivers, nice catch

Yung Flippa
03-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Good Houston and Baltimore picks.

B-Jac27Future
03-10-2008, 07:40 PM
perfect giants pick

Haha thanks for the edit, he is absolutely crazy though giving out money like it really does grow on trees.

BaLLiN
03-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Haha thanks for the edit, he is absolutely crazy though giving out money like it really does grow on trees.

and flows through rivers, thats was a pretty bad attempt at a joke

B-Jac27Future
03-10-2008, 08:39 PM
The only questionable pick I had was the Packers, I see them picking a CB but the value just wasn't there as I don't think Smith is a CB in the NFL.

Any insight Packers fans?

Also some reccomendations for postitions in round 2 on your teams, I have a good idea but could use some more insight.

T-RICH49
03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
With Jake Long off the board Dorsey is the perfect pick IMHO

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
With Gholston still there he gets the nod over McFadden.RB isnt a need for Oakland.DE is.Gholstons much more likely.

Raider_fan_Canada
03-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Can you tell us who Al Rivers is?

gdamac
03-10-2008, 09:55 PM
McFadden is a good pick but by no means a no brainer. Also, I don''t think he broke 4.3. Personally I want Long, Long, Gholston, or Clady.

defensiveback23
03-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Love SD's pick and I agree with the reasoning.

vidae
03-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Good Chiefs pick with Jake Long already gone at number two.

B-Jac27Future
03-10-2008, 11:13 PM
McFadden is a good pick but by no means a no brainer. Also, I don''t think he broke 4.3. Personally I want Long, Long, Gholston, or Clady.

His low time was a 4.27 and after all the money invested in your line I couldn't see the first pick going there, I also feel Ghoulston is MUCH better suited to OLB in a 3-4. If you guys passup on Mcfadden I think it would be a huge mistake and one that would haunt you for a long, long time. Though I see where your coming from after locking up Fargas long term, restructuring Rhodes, and having Bush ready to go.

Oaktown1981
03-10-2008, 11:24 PM
I'd be happy with DMC

the decider13
03-11-2008, 04:29 AM
Love the Broncos trade...I really want Ellis. One problem. The broncos dont have a third round pick! Kinda messes up my plan and I dont know what they could throw in to balance that trade.

idk

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2008, 07:07 AM
You have a very nice mock overall and I could see it going like that for a lot of teams. I like the Eagles pick and explantation a lot. Kelly and Sweed are tied for my WR wants, but both follow Kenny Phillips. I could see the Eagles doing this, but the only thing I would say is Phillips is the more likely option.

gdamac
03-11-2008, 09:15 AM
His low time was a 4.27 and after all the money invested in your line I couldn't see the first pick going there, I also feel Ghoulston is MUCH better suited to OLB in a 3-4. If you guys passup on Mcfadden I think it would be a huge mistake and one that would haunt you for a long, long time. Though I see where your coming from after locking up Fargas long term, restructuring Rhodes, and having Bush ready to go.

I thought 4.27 was unofficial? Oh well, it's.06 seconds, he's lightening fast, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it anyway. I wouldn't complain, but I am not convinced he is the next AD just yet. I mean, the Browns may regret passing on AD, but they don't regret taking Thomas, so it's a trade off.

They invested money in Fargas and restructured Rhodes' deal, and drafted Bush last year and then they have a couple of "bodies" behind those three. Plus, giving Harris $3 million (it's basically a 1 year $3 mil deal with two team option years) doesn't give me a warm feeling about the LT position. I read the Raiders like Clady, a zone blocking fit so I am holding out hope that they draft a stud T.

Gholston, I believe he will do well in both systems, but I am a Buckeye fan so I am bias.

At the end of the day, I guess McFadden is a classic Al Davis pick, but I don't see him signing Fargas, restructureng Rhodes deal, and then giving McFadden a top 4 contract. I won't cry if he does though because dude is pretty damn good.

Bills2083
03-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Good pick for the Bills

B-Jac27Future
03-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm still waiting for those Buccs and Packers fans to come yelling down my throat about their picks.

Working on round 2...

Redskins4Bowl26
03-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Redskins picking Branden Albert is so tempting but since Malcom got picked 2picks ahead of their spot that is a nice pick there with Kentwan Balmer.

asmitty45
03-11-2008, 08:33 PM
I like Mendenhall, but im partial to Jon Stewart. Ill take it anyday though

B-Jac27Future
03-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I like Mendenhall, but im partial to Jon Stewart. Ill take it anyday though

Is RB the pick there? I am redoing my entire mock and adding a 2nd round because I had some changes. Lions pick is one of my questionable areas, RB, DL, or OL is what I've been thinking but I'm not sure whats best.

JagHombre22
03-11-2008, 10:50 PM
I think Calais Campbell or Lawrence Jackson would be a better fit for the Jags than Groves...they are 4-3 DE's, Groves is a 3-4 OLB

fed36
03-11-2008, 10:55 PM
ok but the skins should take Quentin Groves instead

Menardo75
03-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Ok 9er pick would rather have Devin Thomas if its going to be a WR

B-Jac27Future
03-11-2008, 11:40 PM
I think Calais Campbell or Lawrence Jackson would be a better fit for the Jags than Groves...they are 4-3 DE's, Groves is a 3-4 OLB

Groves is definitely not restricted to a 3-4 OLB, I think he could dominate either position, either way he'll have to work on his strength a lot. I see where you're coming from but I feel a speed rusher would make the Jags D even more deadly, Groves with NFL weight training will be beast.

Menardo75
03-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Ah Thomas was already picked lol guess Hardy would be ok him or the best available tackle

B-Jac27Future
03-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Ok 9er pick would rather have Devin Thomas if its going to be a WR

Devin Thomas went to the Titans already...