PDA

View Full Version : Brian Leonard

Zim3031
02-25-2007, 06:10 PM
just thought I'd post the first thread in our own personal forum asking everyone's feelings on Brian Leonard.

I'd personally love to have the guy on our team. He'd be a ridiculous weapon and a power runningback at the same time.

jetsfan3
02-25-2007, 06:11 PM
He's a great pick at 2B, I might rather have Bush than him, and it's very close between him and Irons. Not worth it at 2A IMO.

kafb86
02-25-2007, 07:31 PM
apparently he said he wants to be a tailback, if the jets draft him i think mangini could use him perfectly at TB and FB but i still don't think hes worth more than our 2b pick

tishdog
02-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Well he proved that he is the strongest runningback with 28 reps at the bench and he ran a 4.49 on his first try on the 40 today. Also has a decent vertical. I could see his stock soaring to the point where we need to take him at 2a.

Zim3031
02-25-2007, 08:30 PM
What was his vertical? I missed that part sadly.

josh07039
02-25-2007, 08:56 PM
I would take him at 2a and his stock may rise to the point where we should take him at 1. Everyone knows my feelings about him.

Gang Green
02-25-2007, 09:01 PM
I would take him with our second pick in the first round. Even though I love B.J. I dont feel that he provides anything to the offense in the passing and running game.

josh07039
02-26-2007, 08:45 AM
I would take him with our second pick in the first round. Even though I love B.J. I dont feel that he provides anything to the offense in the passing and running game.

B.J? Freudian Slip much?

M.O.T.H.
02-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Leonard didnt perform well in RB drills though.

jetsfan3
02-26-2007, 10:23 AM

We could still keep Askew, for some blocking purposes and other things. Leonard will provide us someone with talent and outstanding versatility. We can line him up and HB, FB, TE. Mangini would turn him into a force.

AlexDown
02-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Leonard didnt perform well in RB drills though.

What did he run at the combine? Like a 4.52?

jetsfan3
02-26-2007, 11:16 AM
What did he run at the combine? Like a 4.52?

A 4.49 on his first attempt!!!!!! I must say that's impressive. I didn't watch today, what did he do wrong in the other drills?

M.O.T.H.
02-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Officially a 4.51. He was less than spectacular in drills. Times and measures out well but, it has yet to translate to the field.

FlutiesDropKick
02-26-2007, 11:26 AM
i like leonard and i had him going to us in my mock but i think either him or bush/irons would only complicate our 3-headed monster making it a 4-headed one though Leonard provides more versatility than the other two. I'd rather see us attempting to land a feature back through some means in either this or next offseason. If we add another back later and anyone emerges as a feature back that would be great plus would leave us with tons of situational players who would still have important roles.

nyjets5125
02-26-2007, 11:54 AM
1st of all, we might be cutting blalock
2nd of all, i think we need to get a rb this offseason whether it is from the draft or free agency, because i don't think leon(situational runner)-houston(injury prone)-blalock(might be cut) can carry the load

derza222
02-26-2007, 01:36 PM
First of all I don't know exactly why you said his measurables haven't carried over to the field MOTH because his first three years at Rutgers were fantastic and he took a backseat to Rice last year for the sake of the team. Secondly I think he would be a fantastic pick as a jack of all trades type player who can compliment Leon Washington well in the backfield. I believe a player as versatile as Leonard would be an excellent fit for us because Schotty will find creative ways to get him the ball and at the very least we can use his versatility on offense and get him the ball through the air and with some carries. Best case scenario he and Leon compliment each other and we're set at the running back position.

nyjets5125
02-26-2007, 10:42 PM
i think the leonard-leon combo would be great, both are great runners and recievers, however for some reason i just dont think of leonard and leon as such a good rushing tandem and taht they are more of a recieving tandem, i have mixed emotions on leonard but i think mangini can make him into a great player

M.O.T.H.
02-28-2007, 05:26 AM
First of all I don't know exactly why you said his measurables haven't carried over to the field MOTH because his first three years at Rutgers were fantastic and he took a backseat to Rice last year for the sake of the team. Secondly I think he would be a fantastic pick as a jack of all trades type player who can compliment Leon Washington well in the backfield. I believe a player as versatile as Leonard would be an excellent fit for us because Schotty will find creative ways to get him the ball and at the very least we can use his versatility on offense and get him the ball through the air and with some carries. Best case scenario he and Leon compliment each other and we're set at the running back position.

There is no way Leonard has ever played that fast (4.51). Leonard was constantly being hawked down when he attempted get outside, I dont see him as a true RB, which he wants to be. Leonard doesnt want anything to do with the FB position the NFL...is that wise? No, because that is what makes him such a great weapon in the first place his ability to move around. He's a Richie Anderson esque player with power.

FlutiesDropKick
02-28-2007, 12:37 PM
i know Rutgers is a fairly prestigious university (or not) but i still think we can trick him into thinking hes a true running back and just use him more as a reciever and third down back. THrow him and handful of carries now and then and he can be a prodoctive committee member for the Jets.

josh07039
02-28-2007, 02:22 PM
i know Rutgers is a fairly prestigious university (or not) but i still think we can trick him into thinking hes a true running back and just use him more as a reciever and third down back. THrow him and handful of carries now and then and he can be a prodoctive committee member for the Jets.why trick a player? Leonard is a class act,if that would be his role on the jets or any other team, that is what he would do without complaint, even though he is capable of more.

nvot9
02-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Don't know if this has been discussed, but I heard he ran a 4.49 and 4.51 in his 40's all while hoisting the most bench reps of any RB. Those statistics plus what we know of how he plays, I'm praying that Mangini and the Jets are fortunate enough to get him with their first second rounder. A Leo-Nard combo would be deadly, you can bank on that.

HOWEVER, what is the liklihood that something like this happens? Have their been any reports on who Mangini is interested in yet?

hcbrad08
03-02-2007, 11:44 PM
why trick a player? Leonard is a class act,if that would be his role on the jets or any other team, that is what he would do without complaint, even though he is capable of more.

I agree, but you all have very short memories bc last year Brad Smith was adamant that he wanted to play QB and what does he play now WR. You shouldn't trick him but make him buy in but josh you seem to have a little too much of a man crush on leonard. I say take him with 2b and if he's such a great guy he'll play fullback and be used like the A-train on ocassion for rumblin bumblin stumblin action.

Also to comment on someone who said Leonard could never play RB in the NFL because he gets chopped down trying to go outside... I refer you to the Leonard Leap...He's not a burner with a punch he's a pounder with some moves, there's a difference

josh07039
03-03-2007, 12:08 PM
I agree, but you all have very short memories bc last year Brad Smith was adamant that he wanted to play QB and what does he play now WR. You shouldn't trick him but make him buy in but josh you seem to have a little too much of a man crush on leonard. I say take him with 2b and if he's such a great guy he'll play fullback and be used like the A-train on ocassion for rumblin bumblin stumblin action.

Also to comment on someone who said Leonard could never play RB in the NFL because he gets chopped down trying to go outside... I refer you to the Leonard Leap...He's not a burner with a punch he's a pounder with some moves, there's a differenceI am not comparing anyone, but Bettis wasn't exactly a burner and what kind of career did he have. Curtis Martin not a burner, Shaun Alexander. In the NFL today with almost every team having a 2 back system, Leonard can be a rb in the nfl. He would play Fullback if asked to, but why waste his talent like that?

derza222
03-03-2007, 12:16 PM
There is no way Leonard has ever played that fast (4.51). Leonard was constantly being hawked down when he attempted get outside, I dont see him as a true RB, which he wants to be. Leonard doesnt want anything to do with the FB position the NFL...is that wise? No, because that is what makes him such a great weapon in the first place his ability to move around. He's a Richie Anderson esque player with power.

Part of the reason he never played that fast was that his playing weight is about 15 lbs higher than it is now, which I would figure could have something to do with that. It's not like he would be asked to be a carry the load 20 carry a game guy with the Jets, he'd be part of a two back combo and we could play to his strengths because we have such a creative OC. I think he could come here and flourish playing multiple roles for the Jets. Maybe it isn't the smartest move to try and play RB but I believe if he was given some carries he would play FB as well. Certainly all of the carries that Ray Rice was given his senior year hurt his draft stock and his stats but he did not complain and did what he could to win for the team. He should be the same kind of player in the NFL and I believe with his versatility he would fit in with the Jets very well.

nyjets5125
03-03-2007, 12:59 PM
i would love leonard, but as a FB who got some carries as HB, do you guys think he would play in a backfield with leon and an rb that we sign persay travis henry? i would love to sign henry and draft leonard at 2b, making our backfield travis, leon, ced, and leonard with leonard speding most of his time at FB. what do you guys think about that?

josh07039
03-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Part of the reason he never played that fast was that his playing weight is about 15 lbs higher than it is now, which I would figure could have something to do with that. It's not like he would be asked to be a carry the load 20 carry a game guy with the Jets, he'd be part of a two back combo and we could play to his strengths because we have such a creative OC. I think he could come here and flourish playing multiple roles for the Jets. Maybe it isn't the smartest move to try and play RB but I believe if he was given some carries he would play FB as well. Certainly all of the carries that Ray Rice was given his senior year hurt his draft stock and his stats but he did not complain and did what he could to win for the team. He should be the same kind of player in the NFL and I believe with his versatility he would fit in with the Jets very well.Don't argue with him about Leonard, there is no convincing him.