PDA

View Full Version : Jonathon Stewart, too tempting to pass up?

bergo23
03-11-2008, 07:43 AM
With the Seahawks getting two backs in the last week, they may look elsewhere, Scott has Stewart going to the hawks at #25, if he slipped to #27 is he too talented to pass up?

I know the injury knock scares me about him, LT (minus the serious knee injury before the Pats game) has been almost bulletproof. Stewart could fill the gaping void at elite RB once LT plays out his contract. I even see his 2010 cap # at 10 mill, maybe too rich for AJ's blood. If we had Stewart, it would make it all the more appealing to cut LT.

KRS1
03-11-2008, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't go with Stewart. Stewart would be in his late 20's before he even got a legitimate chance to start and that to me doesn't make much sense. I think that there is a chance that if they go RT, CB or S they might draft a guy that comes in and starts right away. Stewart would sit on the bench for years. I also think AJ is too good of a talent evaluator to spend a 1st rounder on a backup RB. He took Turner in the 4th and he will do the same this year. I like Stewart as a player but I just don't see the pick making much sense for the Chargers at all.

defensiveback23
03-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Here's my feeling on the subject. If Kenny Phillips, Reggie Smith and DRC are gone and he is available I would take him. It would still be a pretty close call between him and Smith/DRC, and I love both of them as prospects. I just really, really like the fit of either Stewart/Mendenhall with the team because they could essentially fill MT's shoes, and then some. I have 100% complete faith in LT and I think we won't see any drop in production, I actually think we'll see an increase from last year, for a while. Stewart's potential impact would just be too intriguing to ignore if the good DB's are gone.

SDSupaChargers
03-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't go with Stewart. Stewart would be in his late 20's before he even got a legitimate chance to start and that to me doesn't make much sense. I think that there is a chance that if they go RT, CB or S they might draft a guy that comes in and starts right away. Stewart would sit on the bench for years. I also think AJ is too good of a talent evaluator to spend a 1st rounder on a backup RB. He took Turner in the 4th and he will do the same this year. I like Stewart as a player but I just don't see the pick making much sense for the Chargers at all.

I agree completely. If we draft a back up anything I think it would be NT, but I really think it will be a position where they can come in and have a solid chance of starting. I will say though with Stewart as BPA and filling a need it could happen and would be very interesting, but I just think we have bigger needs that need to be addressed first and that will be harder to address later on in the draft.

Thunder&Lightning
03-11-2008, 07:19 PM
IMO i would not want the bolts to pick stewart here. Sproles proved to us that he can perform as the #2 back at a high level. People are thinking that LT has injury risk now and he is almost 30 so we need to invest in a RB. That is BS in my mind. LT has been healthy up to this point and is one of the best conditioned players in the NFL. No doubt he is working hiss ass off to get better and will be 100% by next season. He is 29 and has atleast 3-4 years left in his tank especially at his physical condition. Stewart would be a waste of a pick. Stewarts behind would be sitting on the bench for a while. While AJ Smith is in the money saving mood it would be a waste of money to give this guy millions to sit on the bench. Safety(phillip or smith) or RT (Cherilus) is the better pick here.

03-11-2008, 07:29 PM
It's highly unlikely any of the big 3 RBs will still be available at #27 especially after each of them posted very solid combine workouts. It's more likely they take a flier on a RB at some point in the second day.

DonWoods33
03-11-2008, 08:42 PM
I think Carolina will take him, to find the big back they have missed since Stephen Davis left the scene. It would be a hard call. I think in a couple of years perhaps if LdT is agreeable to some kind of rotation, but I think he's good for 250-300 touches a year until he's 33-34 years old. Now if Darren McFadden fall well I would have to think long and hard about that!

BoltsOnTheBeach
03-12-2008, 02:27 AM
While I'm not opposed to picking up stewart, i doubt its going to happen... we won't use our only day one pick for a guy who will get a max of 40 touches in the coming season. I'd expect a RB like Mike Hart to be the choice on day 2.

BoltsOnTheBeach
03-12-2008, 02:49 AM
I also think AJ is too good of a talent evaluator to spend a 1st rounder on a backup RB.

He spent last year's #1 on fill in WR buster davis, who was going to be available in the 3 rd anyway... then gave up 2 years worth of mid-round picks to save his draft with Weddle in the early 2nd. I will definitely say Smith is an excellent drafting GM, but he is not perfect, nor are his decisions always reasonable.

KRS1
03-17-2008, 09:11 AM
He spent last year's #1 on fill in WR buster davis, who was going to be available in the 3 rd anyway... then gave up 2 years worth of mid-round picks to save his draft with Weddle in the early 2nd. I will definitely say Smith is an excellent drafting GM, but he is not perfect, nor are his decisions always reasonable.

Keep in mind that before really the playoffs last year Vincent Jackson was a huge underachiever and Eric Parker was out for the season. Drafting Davis was based a lot on a the need we had at receiver and the fact that he would join the team as the fastest WR on the roster. I think his upside is huge. After a year I think it's also a little early to be labeling Davis as anything yet especially a bust. Weddle only cost us a 3rd and a 4th. That to me is nothing to move from almost the 3rd round (where we were) to two picks into the second (where we picked Weddle). I don't know what a 3rd and a 4th are worth to you but I say he lived up to it last year and he has already become a starter. If you can get 1 starter from your 3 and 4th pick I say you probably did a pretty good job.