PDA

View Full Version : Top Defenses of the 2008 Season

Thunder&Lightning
03-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Your Projected top 5 defenses for next season...

Yatta!
03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Tough question, here's my attempt:
1. Ohio State
2. USC
3. Georgia
4. Auburn
5. Penn State

YAYareaRB
03-11-2008, 11:02 AM
1. USC
2. Georgia
3. OSU
4. Auburn
5. LSU

TouchdownUSC
03-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Isn't oklahomas defense supposed to be good?

Yatta!
03-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Isn't oklahomas defense supposed to be good?

They lost Reggie Smith and Curtis Lofton, who were easily their best players on defence but it should still be a good unit, just not elite.

etk
03-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Miami's defense should be much improved as long as we stay healthy in the new system. Breaking every bone in Tebow's body should get us top 5 alone.

P-L
03-11-2008, 01:33 PM
They lost Reggie Smith and Curtis Lofton, who were easily their best players on defence but it should still be a good unit, just not elite.
They still have plenty of talent left though. Auston English, DeMarcus Granger, Gerald McCoy, Ryan Reynolds, and Nic Harris are all studs.

etk
03-11-2008, 01:37 PM
They still have plenty of talent left though. Auston English, DeMarcus Granger, Gerald McCoy, Ryan Reynolds, and Nic Harris are all studs.

They also lost Lewis Baker, Marcus Walker, Darien Williams, DJ Wolfe, etc. They'll struggle vs. the pass.

Tampa 2 4 life
03-11-2008, 01:43 PM
1. USC
2. OSU
3. UGA
4. OU
5. PSU

USF - Top 15-17.

P-L
03-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Darien Williams really didn't play all that much last season and Lendy Holmes is a pretty good corner. Oklahoma is a big-time program, I'm sure they aren't going to throw some rejects out there to fill out the secondary. Too many people assume just because a program loses players at a certain position, they're going to be bad at that position. That really isn't always the case, especially with big time programs. Oklahoma may not repeat as the 9th best defense in the country, but they'll be just fine.

kwilk103
03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
no love for the #4 ranked defense last year?

we lose a lot, but the guys replacing them are a lot more athletic

plus we have a better defensive staff, and our lbers are a lot better

we return our mlb, olb + the other olb was a force on st and had 50+ offers until some legal problems

we have a juco s thats goin to start, along with jr quinton andrews who was a freshman all-american

on the line we have sophomore scooter berry who was a freshman all-american and juco de tevita finua who was one of the top jucos in the country

etk
03-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Darien Williams really didn't play all that much last season and Lendy Holmes is a pretty good corner. Oklahoma is a big-time program, I'm sure they aren't going to throw some rejects out there to fill out the secondary. Too many people assume just because a program loses players at a certain position, they're going to be bad at that position. That really isn't always the case, especially with big time programs. Oklahoma may not repeat as the 9th best defense in the country, but they'll be just fine.

But when you lose a good coverage LB in Lewis Baker, your top defender in Lofton, both starting corners and 2 safeties, I think your pass defense might struggle a bit. Nic Harris is a big time player but he can't do it all on his own....look at Kenny Phillips last year, and Kenny's more dependable. There's no substitute for experience anyway.

Shane P. Hallam
03-11-2008, 02:24 PM

we return our mlb, olb + the other olb was a force on st and had 50+ offers until some legal problems

we have a juco s thats goin to start, along with jr quinton andrews who was a freshman all-american

on the line we have sophomore scooter berry who was a freshman all-american and juco de tevita finua who was one of the top jucos in the country

No, they aren't Top 5 right now.

Michigan
03-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Michigan's defense returns 8 starters and is top 10 calibur, but probably won't show it statistically because of how mediocre the offense will be. Morgan Trent, Terrence Taylor, and Brandon Graham should be all-big ten performers, while Donovan Warren, Will Johnson, Obi Ezeh, and Tim Jamison are very solid players. Only question mark is the safeties, with inexperienced underclassmen likely stepping in.

BigJohn98
03-11-2008, 05:11 PM

You don't play anyone.

BaLLiN
03-11-2008, 05:28 PM
1. USC
2. OSU
3. LSU
4. Georgia
5. OU
6. MIAMI! maybe?

Billingsley26
03-11-2008, 05:44 PM
1. USC
2. Penn State
3. OSU
4. Georgia
5. USF

LonghornsLegend
03-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Sergio Kindle will be a beast for us, cant wait to see it happen...Were a year or two away from having an elite defense, lots of young talent in the secondary that needs seasoning and coaching, but top 10 isnt out of the question.

Sniper
03-11-2008, 05:56 PM
1. USC
2. Penn State
3. OSU
4. Georgia
5. USF

Penn State after losing Dan Connor and Justin King? Love your homerism Billingsley

BaLLiN
03-11-2008, 05:59 PM
1. USC
2. Penn State
3. OSU
4. Georgia
5. USF

I was thinking about USF, with selvie, but they lost both their starting corners who were both great players.

03-11-2008, 06:03 PM
1. USC
2. Ohio St.
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
5. Clemson

keylime_5
03-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Eh, USC loses Sedrick Ellis, Terrell Thomas, Keith Rivers, and Lawrence Jackson. That's a lot of great players gone, they are probably 4 of their 6 best defenders. tOSU returns everyone on D except Larry Grant, but he will be replaced by 2006 starter Curtis Terry who missed 2007 due to injury, so we basically return 11 former starters.
1-Ohio State
2-Georgia
3-USC
4-Penn State
5-Louisiana State

kwilk103
03-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I was thinking about USF, with selvie, but they lost both their starting corners who were both great players.

also moffitt, and i think 2 on the dline

Tampa 2 4 life
03-11-2008, 06:12 PM

Going back to a Zone Cover Two like we did in their Junior year and the past(Last year we switched to a Man Cover Two.) Moffit hurts us a lot though.

Billingsley26
03-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Penn State after losing Dan Connor and Justin King? Love your homerism Billingsley

Well, let me come back with something....

We have Maruice Evans (1st team Big 10, 12 sacks), Sean Lee LB, Lydell Seargant coming to start after showing a lot of promise last year, Anthony Scirotto is back, and should have all legal problems behind him and should one of the best safeties (or perform at that level), DT Chris Baker, who looks a lot like Jay Alford with his play, and there are more too. These are players that were overshadowed by names like Dan Connor and justin King, but still performed very well for a great defense last year. Im especially excited to see Sean Lee and Maurice Evans. Lee is going to be another productive LB to come out of LB U, and Evans ws a beast last year, and should only get better.

I dont know if it is homerism, but maybe putting them at #2 is high, but they will still have a top defense.

keylime_5
03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Yes, Penn State is gonna be very strong defensively next year despite losing Connor. Sean Lee is probably the 2nd best linebacker in the big ten next season. Maurice Evans is a 10+ sack defensive end too. They have talent stocked at every position there.

Thunder&Lightning
03-11-2008, 08:18 PM
1. USC
2. OSU
3. Georgia
4. LSU
5. PSU

Sniper
03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Well, let me come back with something....

We have Maruice Evans (1st team Big 10, 12 sacks), Sean Lee LB, Lydell Seargant coming to start after showing a lot of promise last year, Anthony Scirotto is back, and should have all legal problems behind him and should one of the best safeties (or perform at that level), DT Chris Baker, who looks a lot like Jay Alford with his play, and there are more too. These are players that were overshadowed by names like Dan Connor and justin King, but still performed very well for a great defense last year. Im especially excited to see Sean Lee and Maurice Evans. Lee is going to be another productive LB to come out of LB U, and Evans ws a beast last year, and should only get better.

I dont know if it is homerism, but maybe putting them at #2 is high, but they will still have a top defense.

I didn't say they wouldn't be good. But they MIGHT be #2 in the Big 10, but the country? No way. Lee and Evans are tanks, but who knows how Lee will perform with no Posluszny and no Connor around.

andyjo672
03-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Eh, USC loses Sedrick Ellis, Terrell Thomas, Keith Rivers, and Lawrence Jackson. That's a lot of great players gone, they are probably 4 of their 6 best defenders. tOSU returns everyone on D except Larry Grant, but he will be replaced by 2006 starter Curtis Terry who missed 2007 due to injury, so we basically return 11 former starters.
1-Ohio State
2-Georgia
3-USC
4-Penn State
5-Louisiana State

Ummm, didnt you lose Gholston too? Is this the 2nd time you've neglected to mention Gholston as being one of your starters that left?

Sniper
03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Ummm, didnt you lose Gholston too? Is this the 2nd time you've neglected to mention Gholston as being one of your starters that left?

Yes they did but if keylime mentioned that, it would take away some of the luster off of his OSU homerism, and we can't be having that.

RoyHall#1
03-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Yes they did but if keylime mentioned that, it would take away some of the luster off of his OSU homerism, and we can't be having that.

I'm sure he just forgot Gholston, no need to call him a homer for that, jesus.

keylime_5
03-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Oh yeah, Vern's gone too. Kinda forgot him I guess b/c he was a junior last year. But we do replace him with Lawrence Wilson who is supposed to be something else as a pass rushing DE.

Sniper
03-11-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm sure he just forgot Gholston, no need to call him a homer for that, jesus.

Calm down Roy. I just bust on keylime, it's okay.

RoyHall#1
03-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Calm down Roy. I just bust on keylime, it's okay.

Oh. Well, I'm leaving now.

Gchu83
03-11-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't want to be a homer, but look out for Texas. We picked up Muschamp from Auburn and we'll be playing with a lot more talent rather than seniority like we did last season.

Our LB core should be ten times better just by addition by subtraction.

etk
03-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah I think Texas could improve defensively next year. They can't get worse against the pass...

andyjo672
03-11-2008, 10:25 PM
I dont really think he freaked out at all. This is the 2nd time that keylime has inexplicably forgotten Gholston and said they're losing only 1 starter on the Defense. Although I still think they're a top 2 defense in the nation.

Solomon
03-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Now I'm not saying they have a top 5 defence nationally, but I think Cincinnati has a top 15 defence and probably the most underrated unit in the country. At corner they have two 6ft tall shutdown guys in Mick Mickens (IMO one of the top 5 CBs in the country) and Deangelo Smith (8 ints in 2007). Their LB core led by Corey Smith (3 year starter with 80 tackles, 6 TFL and 2 ints in 2007) returns intact. DT Terril Byrd is a disrupting menace in the mold of Mike Patterson, he had 56 tackles, 17 TFL and 8 sacks last year and is among the most underrated DLinemen in the country. He is rejoined by Adam Hoppel, a 300 lb bull of a DT who had 38 tackles, and 6.5 TFL last year. Their losses are Haruki Nakamura at S and Anthony Hoke and Angelo Craig at DE. The loss of Nakamura will hurt, and Hoke was very valuable last year but Lamonte Nelms should have a breakthrough year at one end spot, he had 10 TFL and 4.5 sacks last year and IMO he is a definite upgrade over Craig. Their D will be tested against some good offences too. Oklahoma, Rutgers, West Virginia and Hawai should test their mettle, and seeing them play against Lesean McCoy and Pitt should be good too.