PDA

View Full Version : Breakout Players of 2008

BLACKnGOLD
03-12-2008, 01:53 AM
Who will be this years breakout players, like Adrian Peterson, Brandon Marshall, Braylon Edwards, Derek Anderson, Mario Williams, Antonio Cramartie, and Barrett Ruud etc. were this year???

I say:

QB: Jay Cutler/Matt Leinart
RB: DeAngelo Williams/Reggie Bush
WR: Santonio HolmesCalvin Johnson
TE: Greg Olson
OL: D'Brickshaw Ferguson/Ryan Harris
DE: Gaines Adams/Adam Carriker
DT: Amobi Akoye/Broderick Bunkley
LB: Jon Vilma (comeback)/Anthony Spencer
CB:Fred Bennet/Eric Wright
S: Brodney Poole/Eric Weddle

The Legend
03-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Matt Leinart

the Laos
03-12-2008, 03:32 AM
sidney rice.

Burns336
03-12-2008, 03:53 AM
QB: Matt Leinart
RB: Marshawn Lynch and Lendale White
WR: Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Bowe
TE: Not Vernon Davis
OL: too hard to tell. Ryan Clady?
DE: Chris Canty
DT: ehh don't really like anyone. Sederick Ellis?
LB: Anthony Spencer, Anthony Waters
CB: Whoever steps in for NE
S: ROY WILLIAMS!! hes back ahahhaah.

GREENSMACKS
03-12-2008, 03:58 AM
jason hill
drew stanton
mark bradley
kenny irons
jay cutler

brat316
03-12-2008, 04:12 AM
Jay Cutler

Caddy
03-12-2008, 04:36 AM
I definitely think that Gaines Adams is primed for a good season this year and really wouldn't be surprised if he had 10+ sacks.

Sveen
03-12-2008, 05:57 AM
Jonathan Vilma should be a good candidate for comeback player of the year now that he gets to play in a 4-3 defense again :)

JagHombre22
03-12-2008, 05:57 AM
I'll say Justin Durant and....wait for it......MATT JONES!!!

seriously, Jones has showed flashes of brilliance over the past three seasons...

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2008, 06:35 AM
Sidney Rice, Jay Cutler, Calvin Johnson, Amobi Okoye, Gaines Adams.

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2008, 06:38 AM
Who will be this years breakout players, like Adrian Peterson, Brandon Marshall, Braylon Edwards, Derek Anderson, Mario Williams, Antonio Cramartie, and Barrett Ruud etc. were this year???

I say:

Broderick Bunkley will never have a true breakout season statistically. He is a two-gap DT that hogs up blockers and allows people around him to make plays. He will make his own plays too, but his role in this defense throughout his career will be to give the other people around him the opportunity to make plays. You could arguable say that he had his breakout season this year, based on the kind of player he is.

thefalconer
03-12-2008, 06:54 AM
brett favre.

Thunder&Lightning
03-12-2008, 07:01 AM
QB: Matt Shaub/Trent Edwards/Tavaris Jackson
RB: Justin Fargas/ Deangelo Williams
WR: Brandon Marshall/ Sidney Rice
DE: Gaines Adams
DT: Amobi Okoye
LB: Jon Beason
CB: Cortland Finnegan
S: Brandom Merriweather

Caddy
03-12-2008, 07:04 AM
I'm pretty sure Brandon Marshall broke out last season.

scottyboy
03-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Gerris Wilkinson OLB for the G-men, should finally get the chance to start, very quick and athletic

Hawk
03-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Aaron Rodgers

BPhilb
03-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I look for Tamba Hali to have a nice year. He played hurt almost all of last year and should bounce back big ecspecially with the attention Jared Allen will draw.

Jakey
03-12-2008, 09:27 AM
QB: Matt Leinart/Alex Smith
RB: Michael Turner/Gary Russell
TE: Greg Olsen/Marcedes Lewis
WR: Santonio Holmes/Sidney Rice/Bryant Johnson
DE: Robert Gaethers/Ikaika Alama Francis/Gaines Adams
OLB: Calvin Pace/Lamarr Woodley/Angelo Crowell

thebow305
03-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Ronnie Brown (Started last year, but got cut short) & Matt Leinart

Comeback Player of the Year: Jon Vilma

saintsfan912
03-12-2008, 10:09 AM
The Saints hopefuls:

Robert Meachem (Crosses fingers). Vilma of course and hopefully Randall ***. *** since he finally gets to come back to a man defense like he played in college. Roman Harper. Oh yea, and I pray Reggie finally comes around and stops auditioning for Dancing With The Stars.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I will go with Steve Smith for us, now that he got big game experience of us. I look for him to be a bigger impact for us. Also, Ahmad Bradshaw playing from day 1 rather than late in the season.

Crvena Ptica
03-12-2008, 10:20 AM
How about Texans TE Daniels?

the decider13
03-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Jay cutler for sure...Travis Henry is gonna make a huge come back. I think that the D line in general (Crowder/Thomas/Moss) could all have good seasons as well.

T-RICH49
03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
I don't know if he alreayd had a breakout year or not but Dwayne Bowe will be a 1,000+ yard reciever next year mark it down.Also Tank Tyler will be a force next year

03-12-2008, 10:42 AM
From the Raiders alone some breakout candidates are JaMarcus Russell, Zach Miller, Michael Bush and Tommy Kelly.

saintsfan912
03-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Gotta love Bowe! Dude was amazing at LSU and now he's doing great in the NFL, lets just hope he doesn't pull a Michael Clayton.

Bearsfan123
03-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Oh yeah I like Bowe alot too. I saw Croyle and him together in their first game I believe and they worked well together. I believe he had 70-80 yards and a TD.

EDIT: Oops meant to give Bears guys too, Mark Bradley WR-He has a ton of talent, but for some reason is in the coaches dog house.
Dusty D DT- Strong player that can do more than hold his own. Health has been his issue but I think he can become a great one if he stays healthy.
Kyle Orton QB- Dont laugh i think it will happen, but not in the traditional sense. I dont think hes gonna turn into Peyton Manning, I think he will become Trent Dilfer 2.0
Greg Olsen- He still sucks as a blocker but as a receiver, I think hes going to become a safety blanket for whoever plays QB for us. I just pray we don't ask him to block *shudder*

terribletowel39
03-12-2008, 11:00 AM
From the Raiders alone some breakout candidates are JaMarcus Russell, Zach Miller, Michael Bush and Tommy Kelly.
you better hope Tommy Kelly has some kind of breakout season.

and for the steelers, i'd go with Holmes, even though he has pretty much made it known he is a real good #2. Woodley, I wouldn't be suprised if he had anywhere from 10-15 sacks. It seems he had four in the 8 snaps he took, if he starts full time, its going to be on. Also looking for Anthony Smith to break out. Hopefully bringing in the safeties for visits this off season has lit a fire under his ass. He really only needs to play with a bit more discipline and not try and knock everyone out all the time.

Young Legend
03-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Zach Miller

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-12-2008, 11:24 AM
QB:Jay Cutler - has established a nice bond with Marshall, and feels comfortable throwing to his TE, which provides the QB with a safety valve

RB: Kevin Jones - he has talent, he just never seems to stay healthy or get consistent blocking, that has to change at some point. If not, whichever RB ends up playing behind Shaun Alexander (Stewart or Mendenhall?)

WR:Calvin Johnson - he had his rookie year to learn the ropes. Now its time for the talent to take over

TE: I want to say Vernon Davis because i think its easier for a guy who is that much bigger and stronger than everyone else to put up the numbers. But that offense was just so bad last year i don't know if he can do it, so i'll take Tony Sheffler on the broncos for the same reason i mentioned for Cutler

DL: Jamaal Anderson - I just think he can put it together, so long as the DBs can give the line decent coverage to be able to get there

LB: David Harris - the starting job is his to keep. I liked what i saw from him this season and hope that it continues. I consider Beason to have already broke out or i would have taken him because i think his overall game is a little better. Others include Poszluzny who got injured, and Timmons or Woodley.

DB: Antrel Rolle - I think he'll play more consistently and with a new outlook at saftey. Second would be Whitner or Huff, both of which need to make more big plays for their teams in order to get any recognition on poor/not media favorite teams.

EvilMonkey
03-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Michael Turner - finally starting, i think he's gonna be a top 10 back

Boss Bailey - hasnt really done anything to make be believe he'll "break out" but he's so athletic and maybe a change of scenery/change of defensive scheme will help (basically i always liked him even though he was a Lion and still think he could be a great player)

Just 2 that come to the top of my head. Also agree with GreatVilma about Calvin Johnson and David Harris, think they'll both have great years.

ironman4579
03-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I kind of think David Harris already "broke out" last year really. He already had a season with 127 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 FF, and 3 passes defensed. If he improves on those numbers, that's just beastly. My pick would be Lamarr Woodley. had 4 sacks in very limited snaps last year, and played great in the playoffs when he actually got a chance to see some extended playing time.

EvilMonkey
03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
I kind of think David Harris already "broke out" last year really. He already had a season with 127 tackles, 5 sacks, 2 FF, and 3 passes defensed. If he improves on those numbers, that's just beastly. My pick would be Lamarr Woodley. had 4 sacks in very limited snaps last year, and played great in the playoffs when he actually got a chance to see some extended playing time.

yeah i guess. He had a great year but I guess I'm thinking with him that "break out" is gonna be slightly better stats but a lot more recognition of him around the league and on TV coverage of him as a top linebacker.

Forgot about Woodley, that's a great pick as well.

SaintsFanForLife
03-12-2008, 11:48 AM
I would say R. Bush and not just becouse im a Saints fan. Its his third year and Duece will be back. I think he will be able to once again line up everywhere and he will put up some numbers this year.

Jughead10
03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I saw a lot of Harris play and I have to say that although the numbers are impressive, he didn't play as well as they indicate. He was good but he wasn't that dominant. He made a ton of tackles 6-8 yards off the LOS. Teams would run all day on the Jets. Although if it wasn't for Harris teams may have been running at 10 yards a clip off the Jets.

Jughead10
03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
I will go with Steve Smith for us, now that he got big game experience of us. I look for him to be a bigger impact for us. Also, Ahmad Bradshaw playing from day 1 rather than late in the season.

Agreed on Bradshaw. It is hard to imagine he only started getting carries week 14 or 15.

ironman4579
03-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I saw a lot of Harris play and I have to say that although the numbers are impressive, he didn't play as well as they indicate. He was good but he wasn't that dominant. He made a ton of tackles 6-8 yards off the LOS. Teams would run all day on the Jets. Although if it wasn't for Harris teams may have been running at 10 yards a clip off the Jets.

I think you could say the same thing for Patrick Willis as well though. Alot of his tackles weren't within 3 or 4 yards of the LOS either.

EDIT: I don't know that you can say he made a ton 6-8 yards off the LOS either. I'd be willing to bet quite a few of his tackles were within 4 yards of the LOS.

Jughead10
03-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I think you could say the same thing for Patrick Willis as well though. Alot of his tackles weren't within 3 or 4 yards of the LOS either.

You could. I think I actually did say that earlier in the season. Although I didn't see a much as Willis. When I'm not at my friends house who has Sunday ticket, the Jets are the only other team than the Giants I see. So I see a lot of them. Although when the 49ers played the Giants, it was much of the same I saw with Willis. Giants had their way with them in the run game and Willis racked up a bunch of tackles the same way.

ironman4579
03-12-2008, 12:00 PM
You could. I think I actually did say that earlier in the season. Although I didn't see a much as Willis. When I'm not at my friends house who has Sunday ticket, the Jets are the only other team than the Giants I see. So I see a lot of them. Although when the 49ers played the Giants, it was much of the same I saw with Willis. Giants had their way with them in the run game and Willis racked up a bunch of tackles the same way.

I did a little edit above.

Eagles own the NFC East
03-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Breakout Eagles players:

Victor Abiamiri DE (Will get a lot of time in the rotation behind Juqua Thomas and Trent Cole and Chris Clemons)

Brodrick Bunkley DT (After a full year of starting and more experience out of his belt he should reach his potential soon)

Donovan McNabb QB (He is already a great player, but he will return to pro bowl status this year and will be the best NFC QB again, he had a great year this year just had a bad start which overshadowed his season)

Jughead10
03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
EDIT: I don't know that you can say he made a ton 6-8 yards off the LOS either. I'd be willing to bet quite a few of his tackles were within 4 yards of the LOS.

The all weren't obviously, but Harris did have quite the knack of getting tackles like that. The Redskins game jumps into my mind off the top of my head. Redskins won in OT but Portis had a big day and Harris racked up a bunch of tackles because of it.

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Breakout Eagles players:

Victor Abiamiri DE (Will get a lot of time in the rotation behind Juqua Thomas and Trent Cole and Chris Clemons)

Brodrick Bunkley DT (After a full year of starting and more experience out of his belt he should reach his potential soon)

Donovan McNabb QB (He is already a great player, but he will return to pro bowl status this year and will be the best NFC QB again, he had a great year this year just had a bad start which overshadowed his season)

I completely forgot about Abiamiri as a possible breakout player, but I think it is one season too soon for him. He may have a good year this year as the starter in the rotation, but I don't expect him to go crazy this year, or any year for that matter in terms of sack numbers.

Eagles own the NFC East
03-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Other breakout players in the NFL:

Calvin Johnson- Had a promising rookie season, but he can do a whole lot better with his massive potential.

Jay Cutler- Him and Brandon Marshall are developing great chemistry. He had a great year last year that went unnoticed because of the poor season of the Broncos. He should improve even more this year.

Ahmad Bradshaw- You could say he already broke out in the playoffs last year and the end of the regular season, but being the lighting to Jacob's thunder should give him a good season.

Mark Bradley- The replacement for Bernard Berrian in Chicago, has the talent to succeed if his QB's get him the ball

Aaron Rodgers- The popular choice for good reasons. He learned behind Farve for 3 seasons one of the best to play the game has a good coaching staff around him, good playmakers, and a weak division, how can he not succeed? He has all the tools also to be a good QB in this league.

Eagles own the NFC East
03-12-2008, 12:12 PM
I completely forgot about Abiamiri as a possible breakout player, but I think it is one season too soon for him. He may have a good year this year as the starter in the rotation, but I don't expect him to go crazy this year, or any year for that matter in terms of sack numbers.

I'm not saying hes going to get a lot of sacks, just in general he will get a lot more playing time and will develop more as a player. IMO hes never going to really be a sack artist but will be a good force at DE and fits our rotation well with relatively smaller DE's. Plus I'm somewhat a homer for him because he went to Gilman High School which is 5 minutes away from me.

KCJ58
03-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Matt Schaub, DeAngelo Williams, Sidney Rice

themaninblack
03-12-2008, 12:15 PM
for the bengals we should have a good number of players break out this year:
Odell Thurman- already broke out i guess but should have a solid comeback.
Ahmad Brooks- Is a monster waiting to be unleashed.
Domata Peko- with some help along side him he could flourish.
Kenny Irons- I sure hope hes healthy this season.

terribletowel39
03-12-2008, 12:26 PM
^^^ I'm a Steelers fan so here comes the lame joke. Aren't there more Bengals than that that have the chance to break out next year?? Like nine right?? Break out.....of jail. BWHAHAHA!!!

Sorry, I'm bored at work. Twas funny in my head.

Incinerator
03-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Breakout Eagles players:

add Stewart Bradley, going to be starting at MLB this year, and I think he'll play really well.

ironman4579
03-12-2008, 12:57 PM
The all weren't obviously, but Harris did have quite the knack of getting tackles like that. The Redskins game jumps into my mind off the top of my head. Redskins won in OT but Portis had a big day and Harris racked up a bunch of tackles because of it.

Well here's the thing. Just looking from week 8 on, when Harris took over the starting role, he had 100 tackles (give or take a couple of special teams tackles) Of those 16 were for no gain or a loss, 46 were from 1-4 yards from the LOS, and 38 were 5 or more yards from the LOS. So that's 62 tackles within 4 yards of the LOS, and 38 beyond that. I would not be surprised to see a similiar split among just about every linebacker in the league right now.

sup3rdup3r
03-12-2008, 01:01 PM

Not really, we were actually pretty good against the run. Sure the amount of rushing yards against is high, but that's only a result of the amount of time the defense was on the field. Teams averaged just 3.8 ypc against us(tied for 4th in the league), and Willis contributed a large part to that. If you watched a majority of the games, you'd see that most of his tackles were in and around the LOS.

MasterShake
03-12-2008, 01:01 PM

It's true Willis made alot of tackles a few yards off the LOS early in the year, but later in the year he really dominated some games.

Specifically Willis made sweet, sweet tender love to the TB offense and they enjoyed it.

Also the 49er defense was actually very good against the run in a per rush basis thanks to Willis, unfortunately they were always on the field.

badgerbacker
03-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Aaron Rodgers ftw.

A Perfect Score
03-12-2008, 01:19 PM
^^^ I'm a Steelers fan so here comes the lame joke. Aren't there more Bengals than that that have the chance to break out next year?? Like nine right?? Break out.....of jail. BWHAHAHA!!!

Sorry, I'm bored at work. Twas funny in my head.

i thought it was funny...FWIW

for the ravens...

demetrius williams- should have a huge year at WR, tons of talent, has shown flashes of brillianceover the past few years.

troy smith/kyle boller- whoever starts at QB, i think will have a successful season. Boller has all the tools, the only tangible raeson he is no good right nwo is cause Fassel is a tool. As was Neuheisel. I think that Cam Cameron will work wonders with our starting QB. unless of course by some way of magic, mcnair wins it, then we are ****** anyways.

umm on defense...i think terrell suggs has a huge bounce back year, wat with everyone coming back healthy...ngata has pretty much broken out, everyone knows he is a manimal...OH wow

antwan barnes- I fully expect 8-10 sacks from barnes...should spell jarrat johnson nicely on passing downs and help replace some of that pass rush skill we lost with adalius.

TimD
03-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Chansi Stuckey and Justin Miller. Both off the IR. Clemson Boys

'cuse-213
03-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Kellen Clemens for QB.

Cashmoney
03-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Hopefully Justin Gage.

gsorace
03-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Maybe Kerry Rhodes will make the Pro Bowl this year.

TimD
03-12-2008, 01:54 PM

Nah. Its a popularity contest and he's not there yet. Maybe in '10

LonghornsLegend
03-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Deangelo Williams
Anthony Spencer
Greg Olson
Mercedes Lewis
Michael Turner
Jacoby Jones
Lendale White
Calvin Johnson

terribletowel39
03-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Not if Troy P. plays in one game atleast. He needs a staple. Poly has the hair. What does Kerry have??

RAZERSAINTS
03-12-2008, 02:25 PM
Michael Huff

Go_Eagles77
03-12-2008, 02:57 PM
For the eagles look out for Stewart Bradley, he's probably gonna be the starting MLB next season and he should be a beast.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-12-2008, 03:00 PM
i'm not sure how people can feel comfortable saying Greg Olsen, i mean look at his QBs. He has the talent, and he's one of the few recieving threats out there, but i just don't feel comfortable saying him, in the same way i didn't really feel comfortable saying Vernon Davis

TimD
03-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Not if Troy P. plays in one game atleast. He needs a staple. Poly has the hair. What does Kerry have??

talent nd hardwork

BananaSlug
03-12-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm pretty familiar with the Eagles
so I would guess Stewart Bradley, who will be starting at Mike... Victor Abiamiri should start at LE after not playing at all last year in his rookie year... Chris Gocong could develop into a star at SAM...

One of the Wideouts is possible with Reggie Brown or Jason Avant...maybe if Max Jean-Gilles wins the starting OG spot he could become an elite player...

Dolphins
Quentin Moses is a possibility... so is Rodrique Wright... Ted Ginn could become a stud... Jason Allen could excel at FS...

Others I think..
Ryan Harris is a good candidate since he could be starting at LT...
Roman Harper could have a breakout season...
Matt Leinart is a possibility...
Mark Bradley should get an opportunity...
Kelly Jenkins might develop into a premiere CB...
Lamarr Woodley could start at Pit and turn in a star season...
of course Aaron Rodgers is a good candidate...

LonghornsLegend
03-12-2008, 03:17 PM
i'm not sure how people can feel comfortable saying Greg Olsen, i mean look at his QBs. He has the talent, and he's one of the few recieving threats out there, but i just don't feel comfortable saying him, in the same way i didn't really feel comfortable saying Vernon Davis

lee evans broke out with jp losman at qb, im just saying.

Burns336
03-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Just thought of 1 more...

Charles Johnson on the Panthers.

terribletowel39
03-12-2008, 03:25 PM
talent nd hardwork
yea, it was more me making fun of the way pro bowlers are selected. Poly didn't deserve it this year.

A Perfect Score
03-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Just thought of 1 more...

Charles Johnson on the Panthers.

hows stanley mcclover doing down in carolina? i was a big fan of hsi while he was in college, wanted the ravens to draft him that year, i thought he could have been a hell of 34 OLB.

DiG
03-12-2008, 03:38 PM
im rooting for vernon davis. hes just too talented to get stuck in such a crappy offense.

ironman4579
03-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Not really, we were actually pretty good against the run. Sure the amount of rushing yards against is high, but that's only a result of the amount of time the defense was on the field. Teams averaged just 3.8 ypc against us(tied for 4th in the league), and Willis contributed a large part to that. If you watched a majority of the games, you'd see that most of his tackles were in and around the LOS.

Not really. minus special teams tackles, Harris had 123 tackles total. He had 20 tackles for no gain or loss, or 16%. He had 72 tackles total within 4 yards of the LOS, or 59% of his tackles were for a loss, no gain, or within 4 yards of the LOS.

Willis had 175 tackles. He had 24 for no gain or loss, or 14%. He had 97 tackles within 4 yards or the LOS, or 55% of his tackles were for a loss, no gain, or within 4 yards of the LOS. Harris was actually better in this regard.

As for the comment that Willis got better at making tackles close to the LOS later in the year, this is also false. In the first 10 games of the season, Willis made 93 tackles. 53 of these were within 4 yards of the LOS, or 57%. In the last 6 games of the season, Willis made 82 tackles. 44 of them were within 4 yards of the LOS, or 54%.

no love
03-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Manny Lawson - because last year was supposed to be his breakout year but then he got hurt

Vernon Davis - He's the second best weapon Martz has, lets hope he uses him

Brandon Merriweather - 1) he's on the patriots, Randall *** looks good in patriots blue, 2) They need help in the secondary,

Nitschke-Hawk
03-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Calvin Johnson. Hahaaaa.

no love
03-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Not really. minus special teams tackles, Harris had 123 tackles total. He had 20 tackles for no gain or loss, or 16%. He had 72 tackles total within 4 yards of the LOS, or 59% of his tackles were for a loss, no gain, or within 4 yards of the LOS.

Willis had 175 tackles. He had 24 for no gain or loss, or 14%. He had 97 tackles within 4 yards or the LOS, or 55% of his tackles were for a loss, no gain, or within 4 yards of the LOS. Harris was actually better in this regard.

As for the comment that Willis got better at making tackles close to the LOS later in the year, this is also false. In the first 10 games of the season, Willis made 93 tackles. 53 of these were within 4 yards of the LOS, or 57%. In the last 6 games of the season, Willis made 82 tackles. 44 of them were within 4 yards of the LOS, or 54%.

Nice analysis. But those percentages are so similar that it is really hard to say one was significantly better without talking about how they played. The fact is, they both did pretty well stopping the run.

Naturally when you have a larger sample of tackles to work with, the more likely you are to have tackles that are not 4 yards within the line of scrimmage, especially if Harris had 52 mores tackles or about a 40% increase.

Also I think it is easier for Willis to make tackles all over the field because of his ridiculous sideline to sideline speed. These are tackles that Harris wouldn't be making, which would also help his % of tackles within 4 yards of the LOS, but lower his total number of tackles.

Where did you get your stats btw?

The Legend
03-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Atari Bigby

Geo
03-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Manny Lawson - because last year was supposed to be his breakout year but then he got hurt

Vernon Davis - He's the second best weapon Martz has, lets hope he uses him
Hopefully the 49ers play these guys as aggressively as possible, instead of what they've been doing. I'd rush Lawson on every play and have Davis running routes on every passing play. These guys are elite talents, what they hell is the point of having Lawson held back or Davis freaking blocking, that's pointless imo. Why were 1st round picks spent, if playmakers aren't allowed to make plays. You can have JAGs do that stuff, come on.

Thankfully Martz coming in should help with Davis being used better.

neko4
03-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Davis should lineup at WR every play and SF should stick Staley at TE and have him block

Geo
03-12-2008, 07:12 PM
They definitely need Staley at LT. :)

P-L
03-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Hopefully Calvin Johnson breaks out. Even though he had a very good rookie year, I hope Gerald Alexander makes more people notice him this year. The only other candidate on the Lions I can think of is Ikaika Alama-Francis. He'll probably see time at both DE and DT.

yourfavestoner
03-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Anthony Gonzales, because I have a strong feeling that Marvin is just about done.

Leon Sandcastle
03-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Can we really call 2nd year players breakout players?

This should be 3rd year players and over.

ironman4579
03-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Nice analysis. But those percentages are so similar that it is really hard to say one was significantly better without talking about how they played. The fact is, they both did pretty well stopping the run.

Naturally when you have a larger sample of tackles to work with, the more likely you are to have tackles that are not 4 yards within the line of scrimmage, especially if Harris had 52 mores tackles or about a 40% increase.

Also I think it is easier for Willis to make tackles all over the field because of his ridiculous sideline to sideline speed. These are tackles that Harris wouldn't be making, which would also help his % of tackles within 4 yards of the LOS, but lower his total number of tackles.

Where did you get your stats btw?

I completely agree with you. The difference in percentages is negligable. The only reason I even worried about figuring Willis' numbers out was that a couple people said that Willis had "most" of his tackles near the LOS. I was just showing that Willis and Harris were very similiar in that regard. I got my stats by going over the play by plays on NFL.com and counting up each number. Just a little analysis.

d34ng3l021
03-12-2008, 07:33 PM
QB: Jay Cutler. Its his 3rd season in the same offense. He has good weapons and a solid line around him. He should put up elite numbers. I will give Schaub another year before he breaks out. I think he should be solid this year though. Aaron Rodgers cause he is from the Bay Area.

RB: Michael Turner and Jerious Norwood. ;)

WR: Santonio Holmes will explode. Everything is set. He has had solid years in the past, he is going into the miracle 3rd year for WRs, and has a great QB who can get him the ball. Greg Jennings will also break out.

TE: Vernon Davis. I keep calling it year after year. I am bound to be right sometime.

DE: Jamaal Anderson. If he can get a sack, I will consider him breaking out.

andyjo672
03-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Does EJ Henderson count, considering he had a great season last year but not many people noticed it...also liking the love Sidney Rice seems to be getting...

Non-Vikings:
Aaron Rodgers
Steve Smith (G-men)
Vernon Davis
D'Brickishaw Ferguson

nfrillman
03-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Well, he was second in the league in interceptions and led the NFC, but somehow remains unknown to many and got snubbed from the Probowl. I am of course talking about St. Louis SS Oshiomogho Atogwe. I guess his stats don't add up to the other Probowlers.

Atogwe- 75 tackles, 8 ints, 1 td
Hamlin- 67 tackles, 5 ints
Taylor- understandable
Williams (Mr. No Coverage)- 92 tackles, 2 ints
Sharper- 63 tackles, 1 ff, 4 ints

Yep, his stats aren't quite the same as those other guys, they're better, much better in fact.

Other possible Rams breakouts:
CB- Tye Hill
DT- Adam Carriker

Eagles own the NFC East
03-12-2008, 07:50 PM
add Stewart Bradley, going to be starting at MLB this year, and I think he'll play really well.

i was thinking of him

Geo
03-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Stewart Bradley is going to play MIKE? Why, the Eagles already have a pretty good starter in Omar Gaither. Who will play SAM if not Bradley, given that they released Spikes?

kalbears13
03-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Kamerion Wimbley- If the Browns can get a decent pass rusher at the OLB position opposite of him via free agency or their late round draft picks and with the huge upgrades at DLine, he should have a huge year.

Incinerator
03-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Stewart Bradley is going to play MIKE? Why, the Eagles already have a pretty good starter in Omar Gaither. Who will play SAM if not Bradley, given that they released Spikes?

the LB corps will look like this
WILL - Gaither
MIKE - Bradley
SAM - Gocong

Gocong was the starter at SLB this year and he played pretty well, Gaither will move back to WLB, where he first played 2 years ago. And now Bradley will be able to start at MLB. If these guys play up to their potential, the Eagles LB corps is going to be amazing.

bored of education
03-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Bradley is awesome. He is one of my fav players. he single handedly prevented the saints from scoring inside the 5..3-4 straight tackles or assisted tackles or something. Kid will be special.

I think Jarrad Page has a break out year. Derrick Johnson sorta did already last year

jaffe28
03-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Jay cutler for sure...Travis Henry is gonna make a huge come back. I think that the D line in general (Crowder/Thomas/Moss) could all have good seasons as well.

*prays for it*

SaintsFanForLife
03-12-2008, 10:51 PM
I think laron landry will break out...

kalbears13
03-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I think Michael Vick is going to break out...

...of prison.

The Dude Abides
03-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Brandon McDonald of the Browns

gdamac
03-13-2008, 03:40 AM
WR Calvin Johnson - easy call
DL Adam Carriker - another easy call
TE Kevin Boss - he has earned him self a bigger role no matter what happens with Shockey
WR Dwayne Bowe - dude is sic, hopefully Nnamdi can shut him down
QB Jay Cutler - pains me to say it, but he is good
WR Vincent Jackson - Started to towards the end of the year, will continue

Raider-Homer picks, I will try not to mix too much hope with opinion

Tommy Kelly - OK, this is kind of hoping and needing. It all hinges on his knee and his rehab. I have no doubt that if he is 100% he will be a disruptive force at the 3T.

Zack Miller - Will hinge on JaMarcus Russell's performance of course, but Miller is a football player.

Robert Gallery - You can laugh, that's cool. But I submit that Robert Gallery will be a pro bowl G in 2008

Justin Fargas - If he stays healthy

JaMarcus Russell - He won't break out, per se, but he will show why he was drafted at #1 and that his future is bright.

jth1331
03-13-2008, 04:44 AM
Well, he was second in the league in interceptions and led the NFC, but somehow remains unknown to many and got snubbed from the Probowl. I am of course talking about St. Louis SS Oshiomogho Atogwe. I guess his stats don't add up to the other Probowlers.

Atogwe- 75 tackles, 8 ints, 1 td
Hamlin- 67 tackles, 5 ints
Taylor- understandable
Williams (Mr. No Coverage)- 92 tackles, 2 ints
Sharper- 63 tackles, 1 ff, 4 ints

Yep, his stats aren't quite the same as those other guys, they're better, much better in fact.

Other possible Rams breakouts:
CB- Tye Hill
DT- Adam Carriker

Reminds me when everyone was clamoring about Anthony Henry's 10 interceptions or whatever a couple years ago. Interceptions don't tell the whole story. Heck, Deltha O'Neal one year had 8 and made the Pro Bowl because of it, although he didn't deserve it.
Basing a DB only on interceptions can be misleading.

I do like all the Jay Cutler talk. Hopefully the offense continues to improve and he can possibly reach 30 TD's.

BlindSite
03-13-2008, 06:09 AM
DeAngelo Williams and Dante Rosario.

BigDawg819
03-13-2008, 08:42 AM
WR Demetrius Williams

I don't care whose QB for the Ravens, DWill will come back like a firestorm this year.

OzTitan
03-13-2008, 08:49 AM
I'm going to focus on WR's because it seems to be an almost yearly position for a few considerable breakout performances

First, some WR's who broke recently to get an idea of what to look for:

Brandon Marshall. 300y to >1300y. Classic 2nd year breakout WR, and even though he didn't have a stellar rookie season he showed signs of being a good WR.

Roddy White. Despite the horrible situation in Atlanta in 07, he broke out with a 1200y+ season in his 3rd season. Again though, not a huge shock - he had shown ability and a nice YPC to suggest he could be a breakout WR.

Wes Welker - Not a very typical breakout WR and I think his situation and system helped a lot, but a change of scenery has been a long standing cause for WR's breaking out so it's valid.

Jerricho Cotchery - Probably technically broke out in 06 but needed that follow up year to prove it. Obviously not an elite WR quite yet, but in his case the breaking out pattern is taking shape in the form of two steady early years and not a huge spike like Marshall.

Braylon Edwards - Another technical 06 breakout but 07 again was needed to confirm it.

So the patterns are coming out - young guy, in his 2nd-4th year who is not necessarily amongst already proven vets on the team at his position and could be the team's #1 in 08. He may have put up a solid year in 07 and could be on the brink of a big 08 season, or he may have not been so statistically great in 07 but has the opportunity in 08 to breakout. Otherwise, it could be a change of scenery WR, who is better used on a new team. So, my picks are:

Greg Jennings. He fits the Cotchery and Edwards mould - good year, great next year? GB might be a tricky situation with Favre gone but that won't stop a breakout WR usually.

Bernard Berrian. Fits two categories - decent 07 setting up for a possible big 08, and a change of scenery. Not exactly going to a killer passing offense but he has the opportunity to be a #1.

Jerry Porter. Change of scenery guy. Little late, but he could definitely be a big hit in Jax and again has a chance to be the #1.

Santonio Holmes. Two solid years to start, could be another one of those Cotchery/Edwards types who takes it to the next level.

Roydell Williams. Not a bad 07, still young and the Titans WR group definitely gives him the opportunity to break out, so he has the chance to be the #1.

Vincent Jackson. Building up for something and SD is a great environment to breakout at WR.

Those are reasonably "safe" picks, in that they're not totally out of no where. How about some Brandon Marshall style breakouts who may have the opportunity like he did to shine:

Sydney Rice. Won't be the "#1" to start so the situation isn't ideal but Berrian is by no means going to stop a breakout WR below him in the charts if it happens.

Derek Hagan. Didn't honestly get much of a look at this guy in 07, but he will have plenty of chances to break out on the Dolphins if he's destined to.

Jason Avant. Philly have been begging for a real breakout WR, this guy could be it. Kinda a stab in the dark though.

Mark Bradley. Well, he'll probably have the opportunity at least in Chicago WR depth wise.

Maurice Stoval. Another guy with the opportunity.

DHVF
03-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Out of anyone on the Vikings primed for a breakout season, I would probably have to say that Chad Greenway is most destined. Like some have mentioned, I would not at all be surprised if Sidney Rice has a breakout season either.

princefielder28
03-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Out of anyone on the Vikings primed for a breakout season, I would probably have to say that Chad Greenway is most destined. Like some have mentioned, I would not at all be surprised if Sidney Rice has a breakout season either.

I don't know if it'll be this year but Aundrae Allison is going to be a stud for you guys somewhere down the road. If the Vikes just had a QB that could manage the game and distribute the ball to the playmakers they would have a serious chance at a division crown

Jakey
03-13-2008, 10:30 AM

I'll second that...Rice has all the potential in the world! Lets just hope Travaris can get him the ball. Also whats that 1st year DE called for you guys...Brian Robison??? I think he can make an impact.

Geo
03-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Greenway's breakout season was 07, like we expected it would. He started every game and had over 100 tackles.

sodar21
03-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Just wondering if every single first round pick from the past two years that hasn't "broken out" as yet has been mentioned in this thread. Seems so.

MaxV
03-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Can we really call 2nd year players breakout players?

This should be 3rd year players and over.

Why can't a player have a breakout season in his 2nd year, or even rookie year for that matter?

portermvp84
03-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Matt Lineart
Mark Bradley
Tim Crowder
Owen Daniels
Jason Hill
Vernon Davis
Brandon Jones
David Kircus
Moses Quentin
Shaun Mcdonald
Considine Sean

nikkayeah
03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
tarell brown
marshawn lynch
daymeion hughes
manny lawson
vernon davis
jarrad page
stewart bradley
calvin johnson
ted ginn
sidney rice
jay moore
michael bush

TheBuffaloBills
03-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Paul Posluszny will lead the league in tackles.

03-13-2008, 02:48 PM

Could end up being a two man race for that honor with the other elite LB from the '07 draft. No need to even say his name.

saintsfan912
03-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm just hoping Vilma returns to form and is near the top in tackles. That would be awesome!

bsaza2358
03-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Just getting a full season and leadership from the MIKE spot will be a huge improvement for the Saints...

DHVF
03-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Greenway's breakout season was 07, like we expected it would. He started every game and had over 100 tackles.
Are you kidding me? Starting every game and having over 100 tackles doesn't necessarily mean he had a breakout year. Greenway's play last year was in no way breakout worthy, though I expect it to be this year with another year in the defense and a hopefully further solidified defense.

nfrillman
03-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Reminds me when everyone was clamoring about Anthony Henry's 10 interceptions or whatever a couple years ago. Interceptions don't tell the whole story. Heck, Deltha O'Neal one year had 8 and made the Pro Bowl because of it, although he didn't deserve it.
Basing a DB only on interceptions can be misleading.

I'm not basing it solely on int numbers. Interceptions can be misleading, but that is more true when talking about CB's. CB's can rack up ints if they get thrown at a lot, but it is kind of difficult to throw at a SS. He was also a regular on the list of players who got snubbed. I watched every Rams game last year, he is the real deal. The future will show it. The Probowl isn't that big of a deal though, everyone knows its just a popularity contest, so basically Roy Williams will make the Probowl every year even though he is atrocious in coverage because he is on the Cowboys. I'm not trying to start an argument about Williams, but most people who know football know Williams is just an above average safety.

Geo
03-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Cromartie had a ridiculous number of balls bounce perfectly his way in 07. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with him in 08.

Geo
03-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Are you kidding me? Starting every game and having over 100 tackles doesn't necessarily mean he had a breakout year. Greenway's play last year was in no way breakout worthy, though I expect it to be this year with another year in the defense and a hopefully further solidified defense.
Compared to his previous year, and the team involved, that's the definition of a breakout.

Seems you're looking for the breakout of a star player type of deal ...

ironman4579
03-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Could end up being a two man race for that honor with the other elite LB from the '07 draft. No need to even say his name.

Yeah, David Harris is pretty awesome.

03-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah, David Harris is pretty awesome.

Forgot about him but no although he's another stud I wouldn't bet on it.

DHVF
03-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Compared to his previous year, and the team involved, that's the definition of a breakout.

Seems you're looking for the breakout of a star player type of deal ...
Well that's not too hard considering he was out his entire rookie season with a torn ACL.
And yeah, I thought that was the point of this thread.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Calvin
Vernon Davis
Manny Lawson
Michael Turner (hopefully)
Jamaal Anderson (hopefully)
Broderick Bunkley

BamaFalcon59
03-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Jonathan Babineaux on the Falcons.

neko4
03-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Breakout players...in picture!
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1029/nfl_ap_jennings_300.jpg
http://blogs.marinij.com/brucemacgowan/images/vernon.jpg
http://webpages.csus.edu/~el27/Alex%20Smith%20Player%20of%20the%20Week.jpg
http://espn.go.com/photo/2006/0906/nfl_w_leinart_195.jpg
http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/brady-quinn.jpg

Crazy_Chris
03-14-2008, 04:30 AM
It will be awfully hard for Brady Quinn to breakout while he's riding the pine.

neko4
03-14-2008, 04:42 AM
i think Anderson will blow it, allowing Quinn to step in

gdamac
03-14-2008, 08:55 AM
I don't even think Smith will start.

03-14-2008, 09:00 AM
I don't even think Smith will start.

Make or break year with Martz there now so they will give him more than ample opportunities to succeed. It's now or never.

Addict
03-14-2008, 09:46 AM
i think Anderson will blow it, allowing Quinn to step in

I agree.

I'll say Drew Stanton, for the hell of it. If I'm right, I'll look like a genius.

tjpackers
03-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Aaron Rogers
Ryan Grant
Cedric Benson(just had bad year)

tjpackers
03-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Quinns gonna get traded to the packers

no love
03-16-2008, 04:56 AM

And everyone will downplay his accomplishment by saying that "anyone can rack up tackles" :-P

Crazy_Chris
03-16-2008, 05:31 AM
It is a good accomplishment but sometimes people tend to overrate how many tackles a defender has. You have to take it into perspective with the talent of the teams Offense & Defense. A good LB on a team with a Bad Offense & Bad Defense(or just a bad defense) is going to have his tackle # inflated due to those circumstances.

ramsfan2005813
03-16-2008, 10:04 AM
tye hill, stl and jamaal anderson, atl

Rjspartan
03-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Bernard Berrian

Santonio10
03-16-2008, 10:56 AM
LaMarr Woodley

bearsfan_51
03-16-2008, 10:58 AM
*Insert player from my team*

bearsfan_51
03-16-2008, 10:59 AM

I say:

So basically all you did was take a few players from each position that was drafted in the first round in the last 2-3 years. Very original.

Bills2083
03-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Aaron Rodgers, Jonathan Vilma, and Paul Posluszny

Santonio10
03-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Aaron Rodgers, Jonathan Vilma, and Paul Posluszny

I agree 100% Poz is an awesome player

Addict
03-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Alan Branch

Hawk
03-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Steve Breaston

badgerbacker
03-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Aaron Rogers
Ryan Grant
Cedric Benson(just had bad year)

Quinns gonna get traded to the packers

Ooh man, I would love it if Quinn was traded to the Packers. I absolutely love him as a QB. Secondly, I think Grant has already broken out.

art vandelay
03-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Off the top of my head...

Michael Turner
David Harris
Paul Poz
Eric Wright
Calvin Johnson
Jonathan Vilma