PDA

View Full Version : Chances the Chargers Trade their 1st Round Pick.

Thunder&Lightning
03-12-2008, 07:30 AM
I was watching NFL Network yesterday and a reporter from San Diego came on to talk about there 1st round pick. He claimed that AJ Smith is in the money saving mood this year and is looking to trade the pick to save money for the cap...

What are the chanced this could happen? Do you think it is the right thing to do?

DonWoods33
03-12-2008, 08:02 AM
I was watching NFL Network yesterday and a reporter from San Diego came on to talk about there 1st round pick. He claimed that AJ Smith is in the money saving mood this year and is looking to trade the pick to save money for the cap...

What are the chanced this could happen? Do you think it is the right thing to do?

To be honest this really doesn't make much sense. They are pretty well under the cap, and in reality the 28 pick isn't going to get a huge, huge contract anyway. It might free up a couple of million in cap space is all (this year at least). Now if the right deal was out there, say one of the lower tier teams was offering next years first, and say a 3rd or something this year. Because they want to jump back into the 1st round for a specific guy ala SF last year. You might jump at that, but it would because you're thinking ahead of getting a higher pick next year, but of course that would impact your cap more because you might be picking a lot higher next year, and would also have your first round pick to sign. I think sometimes these guys throw ideas around, just to see what sticks.

SDSupaChargers
03-12-2008, 09:00 AM

I really like the idea of trading down. Personally I don't believe it's for cap reasons but rather to gain a couple more picks. I think if we could trade down into the second somewhere and maybe pick up a few extra picks that would be great. We could get a very good player in the second like DaJaun Morgan or Tracey Porter or Gosder Cherilus too probably.

Also, I would much rather see us get picks for this year, not next. We're going to make a serious run at the Superbowl next year. Lets get all the help for that run that we can.

zdh87
03-12-2008, 09:48 PM
I highly support the idea of trading out of the first round. We don't have any glaring holes that absolutely require 1st round talent, and the holes we do have (RT/S/backup RB) are positions that get more value lower. This is the deepest OT class I can remember. Most of the tackles are also better suited at RT. There are also plenty of RBs that could backup LT. Safety is weak this year with 1 or no 1st round talents. Trading down would get the most value.

defensiveback23
03-12-2008, 11:25 PM
If Kenny Phillips is off the board, I say heck yeah. We need depth more than anything and if we pick up an extra pick in the top 3 rounds we can get fill one more need with a good player. Makes perfect sense unless a really nice talent is available.

KRS1
03-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Totally agree with DB23. If Kenny Phillips and my personal favorite Rodgers-Cromartie are off the board I would totally trade out if the right partner was willing. An early 2nd and a 3rd would be awesome an extra first next year and 3rd this year would be awesome too. They should be able to get a good backup RB in the 3rd and with a 2nd this year they could still pick up a good safety or nickel back. I like Reggie Smith a lot I'm just not sold on him at 27. I think Flowers, Cason, King, Thomas would all be Good in the Nickel back position and I like Dajuan Morgan,Tyrell Johnson, Josh Barret and Zbikowski at Safety. All appear to be availible in the 2nd and maybe 3rd. Matt Forte and Kevin Smith (who I think are both perfect Michael Turner replacements) could be had in the 2nd and 3rd as well.

bergo23
03-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Someone is going to fall in love with a QB and want back in the first round, SF is obviously a cautionary tale (ironically that #7 slot may not yield as elite a talent as it might have in deeper drafts).......but I could see AJ making a deal for more picks. With Nicks stock plummeting due to his off the field, and Stewart's because of the toe injury.....unless Kenny Phillips is there staring us in the face.....it may make alot of sense to trade out unless they love Cherilus.

The more picks we got, the better chance for future starters in 2009 and beyond who will provide solid depth in 2008 (RT, DB, RB)........AJ comes up smellin' like a rose on most of his picks.

It would be a dream to get Stewart with a second pick in a trade, and a BPA for RT, DB.

zdh87
03-15-2008, 05:30 PM
The chances of our getting a deal increases exponentially if Brohm is not selected before we pick. Some team will trade back up to get him. Its almost a certainty.

DonWoods33
03-17-2008, 03:24 PM
The chances of our getting a deal increases exponentially if Brohm is not selected before we pick. Some team will trade back up to get him. Its almost a certainty.

The more I think about it the more I kind of like this, depending on who's there at 27. If they could muster a couple of seconds, and walk away with 2 picks in the second and get a couple of nice prospects at CB, S, DL or OL. That would be a pretty good draft, figuring the guys they get are going to be productive.

ChefMike
04-02-2008, 04:25 PM
I think with the depth you have in the Defensive backfield this year in the draft I would either trade down and get a FS or a CB or add a WR to give you another weapon to throw to. It would be sick if SD were able to get a posession type WR to compliment what you have and take some pressure off Gates...

UncleHulka
04-05-2008, 05:04 PM
If he is still there at 27, it is a mortal lock that the Falcons (assuming, of course, that they don't take Ryan) will trade for that selection. They have 6 picks in the top three rounds and 11 overall. They can't afford to wait until the second round for Brohm. So going by the trade value chart (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/valuechart.html), I see them giving San Diego picks #48 (valued at 420), #68 (250) and #262 (7) or #34 (560), #98 (108) and #262 (7) for the Chargers' #27 (680).

Btw, In Mayock's latest mock he has the Bolts taking Brandon Flowers. He has a serious mancrush on Flowers and compares him to Ronde Barber with his aggressive, physical style. And if character doesn't become and issue to AJ, I can definitely see that happening. And the beauty of that pick is that Flowers could easily be there in the second if a trade down occurs. Only downside there is that it might make more sense to draft OL in the second and take best availible DB in the third, as more good safeties will be availible then over tackles.

zdh87
04-09-2008, 09:33 PM
I'd rather take an OT with our first round pick if we don't trade it, which I would prefer. I think that even though we don't have a glaring need, we shouldn't just draft for depth. QJ was just resigned and seems to be figuring out how to use his skills, while Cromartie is still on his rookie deal, and with AJ Smith's love for resigning guys, he'll be resigned by the end of next year. Let's not forget why we don't have a 3rd rounder in this years draft: drafting Paul Oliver in the supplemental draft. I think that Gosder Cherilus will look good in Powder Blues. Marcus Mac and Gosder would form a frightening combo of bookends for the next decade.