View Full Version : Kevin Jones released

Bootland27
03-13-2008, 02:52 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/13/kevin-jones-out-in-motown/

HOLY CRAP

not confirmed

princefielder28
03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
That would leave them with just Bell and Calhoun I believe....WOW!

LonghornsLegend
03-13-2008, 02:56 PM
WOW...im shocked, i hope he wants to come to Dallas...Guess that means Mendenhall is where you guys are headed.

P-L
03-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Assuming this is true, I'm not actually THAT surprised. Kevin was good when he was healthy, he was just never healthy. He was going to be a free agent after this season any way and had little to no trade value. Although, this probably means we are going to draft a Running Back in the 1st round.

MicJay
03-13-2008, 02:57 PM
What the hell are they doing in Detroit.

Bootland27
03-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Ladies and gents.....meet your new starting RB for the Detroit Lions:

http://www.collegesportspro.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/jonathanstewart.jpg

Geo
03-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Or Mendenhall.

As I said could very well happen in the Tatum Bell signing thread.

Scotty D
03-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Why was this nessecary?

Bootland27
03-13-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/03/kevin_jones_lions_told_me_this.html

Looks like its true

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Yeah freaking wait until after you pick a RB at least in the draft. If Mendenhall is off the board and Stewart has toe surgery, we are screwed.

Bootland27
03-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah freaking wait until after you pick a RB at least in the draft. If Mendenhall is off the board and Stewart has toe surgery, we are screwed.

right on, **** Millen!!!!

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I guess this is more KJ blabbing his mouth though and then Mlive displaying it conveniently for everyone.

DoWnThEfiElD
03-13-2008, 03:16 PM
does that leave us with a total of 4 1st round picks still on the team during Millen's tenure???

JPLUFF
03-13-2008, 03:17 PM
What the hell? Didn't we just resign him?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2008, 03:18 PM
What the hell? Didn't we just resign him?

No that was Cason and Bell. KJ is in his last year of his rookie deal.

asmitty45
03-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Ladies and gents.....meet your new starting RB for the Detroit Lions:

http://www.collegesportspro.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/jonathanstewart.jpg

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want JStew badly, i love this move. KJ was damaged goods, i wish him the best though

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2008, 03:19 PM
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want JStew badly, i love this move. KJ was damaged goods, i wish him the best though

You do know Stewart is having or just had toe surgery. Out 4-6 months

asmitty45
03-13-2008, 03:21 PM
You do know Stewart is having or just had toe surgery. Out 4-6 months

He's gonna kill regardless.

I still think he's gonna be a stud

JPLUFF
03-13-2008, 03:25 PM
http://www.detroitlions.com/section_display.cfm?section_id=23&top=1&level=3

We cut Kalimba too.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2008, 03:25 PM
I do like Stewart better than Mendenhall. But I don't like the injury already. Maybe if he drops because of it. But I doubt he will

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2008, 03:26 PM
http://www.detroitlions.com/section_display.cfm?section_id=23&top=1&level=3

We cut Kalimba too.

Wooo hoooo. See ya Kalimba.

Brothgar

You forget there is one more ...

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1217/ncf_g_johnson_200.jpg

Oh yeah!

keylime_5
I doubt Stewart will be drafted before Mendenhall. I extremely doubt that, but Millen has done stranger things.

asmitty45
03-13-2008, 03:27 PM
I do like Stewart better than Mendenhall. But I don't like the injury already. Maybe if he drops because of it. But I doubt he will

I'd still take him at 15.

Wooo hoooo. See ya Kalimba.

But this makes me think Harvey is a very distinct possibility at 15.

Brodeur
03-13-2008, 03:28 PM
What the hell is Kennoy Kennesuck still doing on the team then? I don't like this move at all.

detroit4life
03-13-2008, 03:30 PM
If stewart rly is out for so long we could get him in the second

Brothgar
03-13-2008, 03:32 PM
We couldn't trade these guys for anything? Really? not a 4th round pick? Nothing? Wow

Scotty D
03-13-2008, 03:33 PM
One thing I'm thinking about is that I can see the Bears highly interested in Jones. Trade him for a 6th or 7th just to keep him away from the Bears.

Bootland27
03-13-2008, 03:35 PM
One thing I'm thinking about is that I can see the Bears highly interested in Jones. Trade him for a 6th or 7th just to keep him away from the Bears.

too late. he's outta here

Bootland27
03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Guess who the lions might be looking at>>>>>Michael Pittman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3291948

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Guess who the lions might be looking at>>>>>Michael Pittman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3291948

Pittman. Tampa Deuce at it again.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm actually more suprised they cut Kalimba Edwards. I guess they got tired of waiting for his potential, but didn't they just resign him?

P-L
03-13-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm actually more suprised they cut Kalimba Edwards. I guess they got tired of waiting for his potential, but didn't they just resign him?
Yep. He signed a 5 year deal last March.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2008, 04:03 PM
It was March 06. So two years ago. We saved some money cutting him though.

1.9 million saved. 3.9 mil in salary gone less 2 million in bonuses.

Plus 1 million in bonus from this year in dead money. So really 900K.

Geo
03-13-2008, 04:30 PM
I think it's a good move by the Lions.

2.3M for one more year of KJ, who won't even be fully healthy through training camp (the last time he was ... 2006?)? No thanks imo. It's not like the Lions were actively going to re-sign him after 08, either. Maybe he comes back at a cheap price, for two years, though.

Although this stresses one point of Millen's tenure: another first round pick who won't be a part of the solution for the long haul. They really need those first round picks to be long-term playmakers, with the talent overhaul.

Addict
03-13-2008, 04:55 PM
With the fifteenth pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select running back Rashard Mendenhall, University of Illinois.

Stupid move though, doesn't do much for the cap and pretty much leaves our running game on thin ice since as said earlier Mendenhall may not last untill #15 (although I think he will) and Stewart is probably gonna be out for four to six months...
Ah well, we weren't gonna be much good anyway.

Question: why didn't they just trade him? Anything's better than cutting...

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2008, 05:00 PM
With the fifteenth pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select running back Rashard Mendenhall, University of Illinois.

Stupid move though, doesn't do much for the cap and pretty much leaves our running game on thin ice since as said earlier Mendenhall may not last untill #15 (although I think he will) and Stewart is probably gonna be out for four to six months...
Ah well, we weren't gonna be much good anyway.

Because of his injury he had no trade value I guess. They might have tried who knows. We had bigger fish to fry than 1st round RB, but now we have to go RB. Marinelli/Millen have axed every major Millen move. Joey,Rogers,BMW,KJ,Bryant,Bly,Woody,Boss,Lehman,Ka limba. Any major Millen move gone. And if Roy is traded, well F IT ALL. Marinelli better be damn right with these Bucs rejects. I like the draft picks, but I liked all of the draft picks at the time except for Mike Williams.

DoWnThEfiElD
03-13-2008, 05:38 PM
ok so we grab Pittman, and then pick up Alstott and I think we finally have an backfield. I don't see how thats not an upgrade....

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2008, 05:39 PM
ok so we grab Pittman, and then pick up Alstott and I think we finally have an backfield. I don't see how thats not an upgrade....

Alsott is all but retired. Pittman is not an upgrade over anything. He's injury prone as well.

detroitsports
03-13-2008, 05:40 PM
I want Kevin Smith. He broke Barry's record theres gotta be some good karma there

DoWnThEfiElD
03-13-2008, 05:41 PM
I wasn't serious. If we sign another Buc im going to puke.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2008, 05:45 PM
I wasn't serious. If we sign another Buc im going to puke.

Good. Can't tell on message boards. Yeah seriously. Marinelli head is on the chopping block with all these Bucs players. Millen will realize next offseason how he got rid of all his first rounder, second rounders and big FA moves for Marinelli. We'll find out if it works this fall.

Go Blue
03-13-2008, 05:48 PM
I want Kevin Smith. He broke Barry's record theres gotta be some good karma there

I dont think he broke it. But I will agree. If we dont RB in round one then I'd take Smith in a heartbeat.

DoWnThEfiElD
03-13-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't care who we draft at rb if our line isn't improved will it even matter?

detroit4life
03-13-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't care who we draft at rb if our line isn't improved will it even matter?

exactly i still say they build the line and go after another FA RB. A RB behind our line right now won't do much IMO

detroit4life
03-13-2008, 06:40 PM

he has no trade value..not every player has trade value in this league not even a 6th or 7th round pick. KJ has huge injury concerns (he suffered probably the two worst injuries a RB can have in the past 2 years) and his salary is high. No team would give anything to take on that contract for an injured back...

Im not sure i like the pick becaus eif millen is targeting a RB early (which I hope he isnt) he tipped his hand by this cut

DoWnThEfiElD
03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
exactly i still say they build the line and go after another FA RB. A RB behind our line right now won't do much IMO

Plus RBs are a dime a dozen. With most teams going to a two back tandum, I really do not see the point of ever drafting a RB in round one, when we have other far more pressing concerns.

detroit4life
03-13-2008, 09:02 PM
with a good line you dont need a round one claiber RB. Bucs did it last year when cadillac went down and Breen Bay even did it this year. Most teams seem to be able to put any RB behind a good line and they produce. Other examples are the Colts with Kenton Keith and the Steelers with a ton of different Rbs.

Alot of the most productive running teams dont have great RBs but rather have good lines opening the holes

Xiomera
03-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Can someone explain to me why we waited till all of the good free agents have signed before freeing up this cap space?

We cut KJ to sign Pearson? hahahahahahahaha

WTF!?

Scotty D
03-13-2008, 09:46 PM
I really think this was a poor move. WTF is Kenoy Kennedy on the team.

Xiomera
03-13-2008, 09:49 PM
I really think this was a poor move. WTF is Kenoy Kennedy on the team.

Haven't you heard? Millen's new favorite position is Safety. He now hoards them like he did Receivers. He is gonna try Kennedy out at Right Tackle.

Geo
03-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Can someone explain to me why we waited till all of the good free agents have signed before freeing up this cap space?

We cut KJ to sign Pearson? hahahahahahahaha

WTF!?
Well, 2.4M for 2008 for a runningback recovering from a torn ACL injury and won't play 16 healthy games in the season, versus 3.5M for 3 years for a safety/defensive back who can at least play special teams, is money better spent for the latter. Although I honestly couldn't tell you who Pearson is if I tried, but that's primarily because I can't speak intelligently on the depth guys on the Bucs roster.

At least good for Millen that he didn't waste money on Julius Jones like Seattle did. He's awful. [Jones that is, although you can apply it to Millen if you so desire.]

Maybe this means Kennedy's Lions days are also numbered, although such a loss would be devastating we can all agree.

reinar
03-13-2008, 10:18 PM
forgive me a moment of weakness, but why release KJ and KE? why not trade either one or both of them, for something, anything?

This always confuses me, and if anyone can answer or provide insight, I would appreciate it. I mean, noone can tell me that Kevin Jones is worthless as tradebait for something.

Geo
03-13-2008, 10:25 PM
No one needs to tell you that, this move proved it.

There isn't a team in the league that would have given up a pick for KJ, it's stupid. He's recovering from a torn ACL, won't play 16 full games healthy, would have to learn a new offense, and was signed for only one year being overpaid at 2.37M.

WMD
03-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Millen had better plan on signing Shaun Alexander if Seattle releases him.. Taking a RB in Round 1 would be pretty stupid, especially with our big hole at RT.

woodnick
03-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Doesn't this open up the Lions for an injury grievance to be filed against them for releasing KJ? There's some more money down the can!

Scotty D
03-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Millen had better plan on signing Shaun Alexander if Seattle releases him.. Taking a RB in Round 1 would be pretty stupid, especially with our big hole at RT.

That would make this move look and feel a lot better. Not that Alexander is that much of an upgrade over Kevin Jones at this point. Maybe he can come to Detroit and have a resurgence like Jamal Lewis did.

P-L
03-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Millen doesn't think the OL is important. Although he did draft Backus and Raiola in 2001, he hasn't drafted a quality OL since. Since 2002 Millen has drafted 6 OL with his 47 draft picks. The Rounds those players were drafted in: 7, 7, 6, 5, 7, 4. Hey, at this rate we may get lucky and he'll take an OL in the 3rd Round this year!

EDIT: Also, I find Shaun Alexander to be worthless. He's going to want more money than he's worth at this point. Let's let some other team waste their money.

DoWnThEfiElD
03-13-2008, 10:42 PM
ya and he didn't play for tampa bay.

detroit4life
03-13-2008, 10:52 PM
ya and he didn't play for tampa bay.

No tampa bay experience no deal. What FA RBs did play for them cuz i say we look to throw big money their way

Bootland27
03-13-2008, 11:19 PM

Shaun Alexander is done. He's not the same player he once was, and our O-line isn't good enough to allow him to even look serviceable.

Scotty D
03-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Millen doesn't think the OL is important. Although he did draft Backus and Raiola in 2001, he hasn't drafted a quality OL since. Since 2002 Millen has drafted 6 OL with his 47 draft picks. The Rounds those players were drafted in: 7, 7, 6, 5, 7, 4. Hey, at this rate we may get lucky and he'll take an OL in the 3rd Round this year!

EDIT: Also, I find Shaun Alexander to be worthless. He's going to want more money than he's worth at this point. Let's let some other team waste their money.

Can we hire Phil Savage? Look at what he did for the Brown's Oline and Dline. Now they have a mediocre QB and RB performing at a high level.

Geo
03-13-2008, 11:34 PM
The Lions did draft Manny Ramirez last year, I think they traded up to do it too. He looked like an excellent RG prospect, maybe he gets his shot now with Woody departing in FA.

P-L
03-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Yeah, Manny Ramirez was drafted in the 4th Round last year, our highest drafted Offensive Lineman in the last 5 years. I'm a big fan and I think he's a perfect fit for what Jim Colletto is trying to do. We shall see, hopefully he gets a shot.

WMD
03-13-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm just saying that Shaun Alexander could be serviceable on a 2 year deal.. It'd give us a starter or someone to split time with Tatum.. and it would allow us to go for a Tackle in Round 1.

I'm just hoping we get our Starting RB before the draft. I like Mendenhall and think he will be very good but I'd rather get our OL "set" before we take another RB.

Geo
03-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Maybe Millen feels like, with this particular Draft and how the talent is setting up, that the BPA is Mendenhall or Stewart at #16. I have to admit, I can see that argument. Those two guys I think are going to make great backs, three-down all-purpose backs unlike McFadden imo.

And the Lions won't be paying them ridiculous money to a RB as a top ten pick, at #16. Which is the cut-off point for signing a prospect to a 6-year contract, if he and his agent agrees. Millen, I'm guessing, feels like this is his chance to put the mess at runningback to an end with a workhorse guy for the next 5 or 6 years, especially with a young QB coming in after Kitna.

KJ had to go. Mendenhal/Stewart needs to get 200 touches, Bell with around 150 touches, and maybe a few to Calhoun so the Lions have some idea what he brings to the table as a pro. What's the point of keeping him at 2.4M if he's not going to get touches?

Scotty D
03-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Maybe Millen feels like, with this particular Draft and how the talent is setting up, that the BPA is Mendenhall or Stewart at #16. I have to admit, I can see that argument. Those two guys I think are going to make great backs, three-down all-purpose backs unlike McFadden imo.

And the Lions won't be paying them ridiculous money to a RB as a top ten pick, at #16. Which is the cut-off point for signing a prospect to a 6-year contract, if he and his agent agrees. Millen, I'm guessing, feels like this is his chance to put the mess at runningback to an end with a workhorse guy for the next 5 or 6 years, especially with a young QB coming in after Kitna.

KJ had to go. Mendenhal/Stewart needs to get 200 touches, Bell with around 150 touches, and maybe a few to Calhoun so the Lions have some idea what he brings to the table as a pro. What's the point of keeping him at 2.4M if he's not going to get touches?

You make very good points. BPA = Mendenhall or Stewart. Just on a team with such a poor defensive and offensive line thats a hard pill to swallow.

Bootland27
03-14-2008, 12:21 AM
I'm just saying that Shaun Alexander could be serviceable on a 2 year deal.. It'd give us a starter or someone to split time with Tatum.. and it would allow us to go for a Tackle in Round 1.

I'm just hoping we get our Starting RB before the draft. I like Mendenhall and think he will be very good but I'd rather get our OL "set" before we take another RB.

Alexander doesn't have a lot left. He had an amazing 3.5 ypc last year, and 3.6 the previous year. He wouldn't have much success in Detroit, IMO. Not to mention, it would most likely cost way too much to go after him.

But, I agree. We need to solidify the trenches.

Geo
03-14-2008, 12:25 AM
It's also quite possible that Williams and Otah could be off the board - with Denver, Carolina, and Chicago up there - before the Lions even pick, so there might not even be a LT prospect worth drafting at #16.

Gosder Cherilus is a stellar RT ... but at #16? Ehhh, I don't think I would personally take a RT that high although some franchises feel differently. But I'd probably go with a stud back in Mendenhall or Stewart too.

brat316
03-14-2008, 02:17 AM
DeShaun Jackson at 16 FTW.

WMD
03-14-2008, 02:35 AM

That is the most original joke I've ever heard. 100% honest. Never heard anything like that before.

brat316
03-14-2008, 02:44 AM
How about by some miracle Jordyzzz Nelsonzz slips and

Jordyzzz Nelsonzzz at 16 FTW

M.O.T.H.
03-14-2008, 02:45 AM
Things sure have changed...after their rookie seasons, it was looking like Kevin and Julius Jones were on the fast track to becoming two of the leagues best.

Xiomera
03-14-2008, 06:47 AM

http://barry.warsaw.us/images/max-laugh.jpg

Addict
03-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Because of his injury he had no trade value I guess. They might have tried who knows. We had bigger fish to fry than 1st round RB, but now we have to go RB. Marinelli/Millen have axed every major Millen move. Joey,Rogers,BMW,KJ,Bryant,Bly,Woody,Boss,Lehman,Ka limba. Any major Millen move gone. And if Roy is traded, well F IT ALL. Marinelli better be damn right with these Bucs rejects. I like the draft picks, but I liked all of the draft picks at the time except for Mike Williams.

Yeah that's the thing, it's not even that we picked HORRIBLE players in the first rounds, it's just that they always end up either sucking or injured all the time.

Also I think we could have gotten a fifth or fourth AT LEAST for KJ, he's not all that bad a back, just unable to carry the load and remain healthy. We could have gotten more than nothing.

detroit4life
03-14-2008, 02:23 PM
his contract was too large and he was injured often. If we started shopping him teams would realize that we would cut him if we dint get him so they knew they could get him for much cheaper the the 2 + he was due to get paid

Bootland27
03-15-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/nfl/20080315_Jones_says_Eagles_among_teams_interested_ in_his_services.html

Jones said he had no visits to any NFL teams scheduled, but: "I'm ready to move on from the Lions. I'm sad to be leaving Detroit not on my terms, but I am happy with the opportunity I have right now. Within 2 hours of being told I was cut, my agent spoke to 12 different teams. Apparently, some people still think I can play in this league."

detroit4life
03-15-2008, 02:09 PM
you have to expect most of those are checking on his injuries to see if he's even worth talking to... mlive says the number is around 20 now

Iamcanadian
03-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Every team will offer to have him visit their doctors, if he passes, somebody will sign him but he has to pass a physical before anybody will offer him a contract asnd that's far from a sure thing..

Addict
03-15-2008, 06:18 PM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/nfl/20080315_Jones_says_Eagles_among_teams_interested_ in_his_services.html

Jones said he had no visits to any NFL teams scheduled, but: "I'm ready to move on from the Lions. I'm sad to be leaving Detroit not on my terms, but I am happy with the opportunity I have right now. Within 2 hours of being told I was cut, my agent spoke to 12 different teams. Apparently, some people still think I can play in this league."

He can play, he just plays too little for his size contract.