PDA

View Full Version : Lions cut loose former starting running back Jones

steel man
03-13-2008, 03:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3291948

terribletowel39
03-13-2008, 03:48 PM
wow. big news. definitely going RB in the first now. i mean Bell was only signed for a year right?? that doesn't scream franchise RB. and with the top 3 all being really friggin' good, they got to grab one of them.

TimD
03-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Wow so they lost him and duckett? Now everyone's mock draft has them taking a RB first. maybe even a trade to mcfadden. that'd be smart considering they deal with AD twice a year.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2008, 03:50 PM
HA! I KNEW it!!!

Lions fans have been overrating Jones for years. He's a marginal starting back at best, and that's when he's healthy. I am suprised they cut him, but they were going to address the starting spot in this draft anyway. Hello Mendenhall or J-Stew.

lionsfan81
03-13-2008, 03:51 PM
In a surprising move, the Lions cut Kevin Jones today.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=469608

P-L
03-13-2008, 03:56 PM
We've been talking about this in the Lions team forum for a little bit. Here is what I said there:

Assuming this is true, I'm not actually THAT surprised. Kevin was good when he was healthy, he was just never healthy. He was going to be a free agent after this season any way and had little to no trade value. Although, this probably means we are going to draft a Running Back in the 1st round.

neko4
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
good for the lions. The guy was never healthy and never got back to his rookie year form. He cant still turn his career around, but no the lions dont have to feel tied to him and they can get Mendenhall or Stewart.

Maybe seattle can get him

PACKmanN
03-13-2008, 04:13 PM
I would love to see him in Green Bay and running in a ZBS, isn't that what he was running in college?

What teams could make an offer to him?

BamaFalcon59
03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
He is a player I like. Not overly shifty but good speed and toughness inside the tackles, and he catches the ball really well.

SaintsFanForLife
03-13-2008, 04:23 PM
wow. big news. definitely going RB in the first now. i mean Bell was only signed for a year right?? that doesn't scream franchise RB. and with the top 3 all being really friggin' good, they got to grab one of them.

I agree RB 1st round big cut for them.

LonghornsLegend
03-13-2008, 04:35 PM
I would love him to rotate with Barber, I wanted him instead of Julius that year anyway, and he has a good combination of strength and speed to add receiving skills, this is probably even worse news for Shaun Alexander who will miss out on another opportunity...

wouldnt be surprised to see alot of teams interested in KJ, the Titans are one team who comes to mind.

Cribbs>Hester
03-13-2008, 04:35 PM
HA! I KNEW it!!!

Lions fans have been overrating Jones for years. He's a marginal starting back at best, and that's when he's healthy. I am suprised they cut him, but they were going to address the starting spot in this draft anyway. Hello Mendenhall or J-Stew.

You just completely described Cedric Benson to a T.

You're team should be looking for a running back as well.

Twiddler
03-13-2008, 04:39 PM

Did he ever mention Benson or the Bears running back situation in the post? Didn't think so. Also, you're name is pretty incorrect. The sign goes the other way.

Come back when you have something to offer.

imprint3454
03-13-2008, 04:41 PM
What do they have for running backs other than Tatum Bell now?

imprint3454
03-13-2008, 04:42 PM

You're team should be looking for a running back as well.Any real football fan would know that what the Bears really need to be looking for first is a new offensive line.

PACKmanN
03-13-2008, 04:50 PM
What do they have for running backs other than Tatum Bell now?

I don't think they have Tatum Bell on their roster anymore, wasn't he upset with the team last year?

They have Brian Calhoun and.... I don't know.

neko4
03-13-2008, 04:52 PM

I dont know if BF51 has liked Benson

terribletowel39
03-13-2008, 04:53 PM
actually Bell was just signed to a one year deal, like a few days ago. he didn't like Martz, but since he left, he said he would come back.

BamaFalcon59
03-13-2008, 04:55 PM
If Jones was healthy and had an offensive line Mike Martz would make him a star.

d34ng3l021
03-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Did he ever mention Benson or the Bears running back situation in the post? Didn't think so. Also, you're name is pretty incorrect. The sign goes the other way.

Come back when you have something to offer.

And he didnt say he was talking about it. He said in a way to say you 'also' described the Bears RB situation to a Bears fan.

Come back when you stop misunderstanding a poster.

keylime_5
03-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Detroit should draft either 'Shard in the first or maybe Charles or Forte in the 2nd if they know what's good for them. Detroit cut Kailmba Edwards too I believe, I think he'd be a better fit in a 3-4 defense than in a 4-3, but not too sure he'd be a good pass rusher anywhere at this point.

Bills2083
03-13-2008, 05:01 PM
For some reason, I'm a little surprised by this move.
They'll definitley go RB in round 1 now.

PACKmanN
03-13-2008, 05:10 PM
They should take Forte who is more of a power runner who could also take it to the house. They have the two speed runners already on their roster.

They should really switch to the ZBS, they have some of the pieces in place.

CC.SD
03-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Weird cut. Detroit needs to get a few solid draft picks into it's offensive line. Rashard+Calvin Johnson down the line could get pretty interesting.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2008, 05:17 PM

Wait wait wait....so what you're telling me...is that Cedric Benson may not be a very good runningback?

Oh dear god.....oh no....no...this is no good at all......

keylime_5
03-13-2008, 05:21 PM
They should take Forte who is more of a power runner who could also take it to the house. They have the two speed runners already on their roster.

I agree, they'd be better off waiting until round 2 for one of those bargain backs who have 1st round talent but fell due to Mendenhall, Stewart, and Jones being in the same draft. That way the Lions can get a guy like Chris Williams, Jeff Otah, or Derrick Harvey in round one to bolster their front lines before adding yet another skill position guy in the first round. Forte is gonna be this year's steal of round 2.

BaLLiN
03-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Please god, if the giants dont get him, dont let him in the NFC East

neko4
03-13-2008, 05:26 PM

Forte is gonna be great. I tottally agree. They should get a lineman first

bearsfan_51
03-13-2008, 05:26 PM
And he didnt say he was talking about it. He said in a way to say you 'also' described the Bears RB situation to a Bears fan.

Well no **** but what does that have to do with anything? It's bringing up things that have nothing to do with the thread just to start arguments, and it's called trolling.

GB12
03-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Please god, if the giants dont get him, dont let him in the NFC East

He's not that good.

Twiddler
03-13-2008, 05:33 PM

So? How was it relevant to the thread? All it remains to be is some random guy bringing up the Bears RB situation because a Bears fan made a comment about the Lions RB situation. If he had been Chiefs_fan51 it NEVER would have happened. That's my point, its just some guy trying to raise an argument.

And about Kevin Jones being cut, its a shock I guess. But I guess I can understand. My only problem with it is it really puts the spotlight on them likely drafting a RB in the first round.

LonghornsLegend
03-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Detroit does need to start using early picks on the offensive or defensive line, at some point its going to have to change, they have been taking skill positions forever(like cleveland) but until Kitna and the rest of the offense get time to do anything you will never see their potential...Cleveland, Arizona, Detroit have been taking skill position players early for some time now, and if Detroit doesnt address that earlier they will be terrible again next year without a solid offensive or defensive line.

keylime_5
03-13-2008, 06:17 PM
The Browns did finally take a left tackle last year, and unlike the Lions have been trading and signing like crazy to establish dominant offensive and defensive lines. The Lions haven't drafted or signed well for the lines. They seriously need to draft an offensive lineman in round 1 or 2 this year though or else they'll suffer another year.

Hawk
03-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Detroit does need to start using early picks on the offensive or defensive line, at some point its going to have to change, they have been taking skill positions forever(like cleveland) but until Kitna and the rest of the offense get time to do anything you will never see their potential...Cleveland, Arizona, Detroit have been taking skill position players early for some time now, and if Detroit doesnt address that earlier they will be terrible again next year without a solid offensive or defensive line.

The Browns did finally take a left tackle last year, and unlike the Lions have been trading and signing like crazy to establish dominant offensive and defensive lines. The Lions haven't drafted or signed well for the lines. They seriously need to draft an offensive lineman in round 1 or 2 this year though or else they'll suffer another year.

Exactly, teams are built from the inside out

Prowler
03-13-2008, 06:33 PM
i wonder if he'll sign with the wheelchair league

LonghornsLegend
03-13-2008, 06:49 PM

I know that was the point of my post, once you guys put an emphasis on taking lineman, success came not long after which isnt a surprise.

toonsterwu
03-13-2008, 07:20 PM
The Lions drafting a RB in the first round was a possibility to begin with, so I'm not really sure this move means that much relative to their draft decisions. Short of it was, with Kevin entering his final year and not having shown the ability to handle the load, along with the miss on Calhoun basically, they were going to go RB early.

Now, am I a bit surprised they cut him? Somewhat. The only reason I can think they'd be open to it is if they like both Mendenhall and Stewart equally. They put themselves at risk for another team moving up. Had they signed Julius, Kevin would've been gone. The fact that Julius signed with Seattle last week was also another telling sign they'd go RB.

When healthy, Kevin Jones was a good back. Problem was the health part.
I'd be pretty pleased if the Bears took a look. We're bargain shopping anyways. Who knows, maybe he gets healthy once he leaves Motown.

Xiomera
03-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Oh. My. God.

I get home from work and this is the first thing I heard . . . wow, just wow.

Thunder&Lightning
03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
very suprised here. Good for them though gettting rid of the past starting over. Deff. going to draft a RB now and i gotta say its not a bad year to do it too. Hopefully Jones can find somewhere to go that he can play but hes a talented kid.

03-13-2008, 08:01 PM
I'd say Mendenhall is as close to a lock for this pick as any though a surprise team like Carolina or Chicago is not out of the question yet.

The Legend
03-13-2008, 08:15 PM
if hes clear to play he could be a good back up for Willis McGahee

XxXdragonXxX
03-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Sweet, another RB for the Seahawks to sign.

VoteLynnSwan
03-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Apparently the Lion's GM was at Illinois' pro day to scout Mendenhall... not good... Detroit is where great talent goes to die.

BamaFalcon59
03-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Kevin Jones only had three games last year with over twenty carries (23, 20, 23) and in each game he had his most success (105 rushing yards, 93 rushing yards, 92 rushing yards). He had two more games with at least fifteen carries (15, 17), and he did well in those as well (76 yards, 71 yards). When he was under fifteen carries his yard per carry dropped a lot. 2006 was much the same story, 6 games with 15 or more carries (17, 19, 23, 15, 26, 19) and generally good production (81, 93, 127, 86, 110, 56). I think, if used correctly, he can be a very good back. He just needs to get a good amount of touches in the passing game and the rushing game. He has ideal size (5'11"/ 6'0" 230 pounds) and very good speed 4.45?) along with good receiving ability and a tough running style.

d34ng3l021
03-13-2008, 09:11 PM
So? How was it relevant to the thread? All it remains to be is some random guy bringing up the Bears RB situation because a Bears fan made a comment about the Lions RB situation. If he had been Chiefs_fan51 it NEVER would have happened. That's my point, its just some guy trying to raise an argument.

And about Kevin Jones being cut, its a shock I guess. But I guess I can understand. My only problem with it is it really puts the spotlight on them likely drafting a RB in the first round.

My bad. I thought the guy was just pointing it out. I saw another post of his, and he is a dumbass.

Geo
03-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Now, am I a bit surprised they cut him? Somewhat. The only reason I can think they'd be open to it is if they like both Mendenhall and Stewart equally. They put themselves at risk for another team moving up.
Plus he had a base salary of $2.37M for this year, he's just not worth it. The rookie deserves touches anyways, plus Calhoun needs some touches if the Lions are going to find out anything about him. I've been saying for some time that I thought Millen would take a runningback at #16, my guess being the midwest Big Ten back in Mendenhall if given the preference.

Had they signed Julius, Kevin would've been gone. The fact that Julius signed with Seattle last week was also another telling sign they'd go RB.
They released KJ without signing Jones anyways, I'm not sure what the point of that note is.

Who knows, maybe he gets healthy once he leaves Motown.
I doubt it, personally. His best chance is as a #2 back I suppose, but I'd rather have someone like Sammy Morris.

treefi
03-13-2008, 09:22 PM
"Kevin Jones will explode wherever he goes and be a top 10 back in the league." - treefi

toonsterwu
03-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Had they signed Julius, Kevin would've been gone.

The fact that Julius signed with Seattle last week was also another telling sign they'd go RB.

Um, that was two separate thoughts. The first referencing the fact that I wasn't shocked by the move, although mildy surprised at the timing. I probably should've added an anyways at the end, but I forgot.

The 2nd in reference to that the idea that they were going RB has been around since the end of the year, and that recent moves suggested that this was happening.

Geo
03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
1. They didn't sign Julius Jones, and they released Kevin Jones. So it seems rather stupid, or at least painfully redundant and pointless, to point out that they would have released Kevin Jones had Julius Jones been signed long-term.

2. And so was Tatum Bell only signing a one year deal, if not even more obvious.

Xiomera
03-13-2008, 09:36 PM
I am still in total disbelief and a state of confusion.

The entire offseason we have been gearing up for a big commitment to the run game for next season.

So far we have:
1) Not re-signed Duckett
2) Release KJ
3) Signed Tatum Bell?????? (WTF!?)
4) Not addressed the offensive line in any way, shape, or form.

We have one first round pick to use on RB and OT . . . Millen must have failed kindergarten math along with everything else in his life.

Geo
03-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Millen wasn't ever going to take an OT in the first round imo, as much as he needs to and the intelligent fans want him to. He drafted Backus in the first round, he gave Backus his huge contract, and he's going to think he's okay at LT. One only wonders how Marinelli really feels, but he has to make the best of the situation and existing contracts.

That said, if the Lions could get a 1st round pick for Roy Williams from either the Eagles or the Cowboys, then they could probably get Stewart later although it's a calculated risk. I'm not sure the Cowboys have the cap space to sign Williams long-term now though.

But really, the Lions need Roy Williams now. They need to score as many points possible, with their overhaul on defense. They can franchise him next year in an effort to tag and trade him.

Iamcanadian
03-14-2008, 06:26 AM
Like all poor GM's in the league and Matt Millen is the worst, he has simply run out of cap money by overpaying average players and has little room to maneuver.