PDA

View Full Version : Jets Spending Spree

josh07039
03-13-2008, 10:14 PM
I know this thread is a little late, but I heard this week the Jets had Ty Law in. The Jets have spent a remarkable amount of money this off season plain and simple. Personally I think this is the wrong way to build a long term contender. Obviously for next season the Jets are a much better team, however, losing draft picks and signing veterans to big contracts just seems to a bad idea.What is everyone's view on the Jets eventful off season?

SaintsFanForLife
03-13-2008, 10:19 PM
The way the pats are playing they need to improve now not later, if they ever want to win the division. I thnk they did very well this offseason. And if they make the right pick in round one( by right pick I mean someone that can make a difference right away) and Clemons has a breakout season. They could be in the playoffs next come the end of the year. IMO

bearsfan_51
03-13-2008, 11:24 PM
I've said already that I think the Jets had a laughably bad offseason. A bunch of money for guys like Calvin Pace and Damien Woody. They still won't make the playoffs.

toonsterwu
03-13-2008, 11:46 PM
I think if this offseason was coupled with an attention on the future, then I'd applaud them. I like the Calvin Pace signing a lot, and Woody/Faneca are OL immediate upgrades to protect their young QB. A solid draft focused on the future, and the team is in very good shape.

That said, I expect them to try and mix and match it. I expect they'll try to fill immediate holes (CB/FS/ILB/WR perhaps) while also building a young core around Clemens (thus, I wouldn't be surprised with a RB pick even though they have signed Chatman and have Jones/Washington; certainly WR is a future move, and I could see them net a TE).

Personally, I would still like to see them focus early on adding at least 1 DL guy, along with an edge guy. Add a developmental tackle as well.

I'm not sure they'll go edge that early, though. With Pace at one spot, and having to pay Thomas, I think they may opt to wait a bit on it.

That said, just speculation, so only time will tell.

Geo
03-13-2008, 11:55 PM
I've said already that I think the Jets had a laughably bad offseason. A bunch of money for guys like Calvin Pace and Damien Woody. They still won't make the playoffs.
I don't know, bud. I think they are, I'm penciling them (or Buffalo) for the 6th seed maybe.

Faneca and Woody, well moreso Faneca, bring a lot to the OL. They are going to help the offense a great deal, Thomas Jones especially has a better chance to succeed like he can.

Does Jenkins do the same for the defense? Can't be any worse than it was with Robertson, who really belongs in a 4-3. Pace ... I mean it's not like I can tell the guy from Adam, but he should be a good LOLB.

Mangenius is getting the defense turned around in his image, honestly I think he's only a few pieces away. I really do. If they can take Gholston with the 6th overall pick, that's one big piece, but we'll see the board works out come late April.

bearsfan_51
03-13-2008, 11:58 PM
I know, we've discussed this before. I've got the Bills ahead of the Jets right now. The Jets could have a great draft and change my mind though. They need another corner, and probably two more linebackers (inside and outside). Drafting Darren McFadden wouldn't hurt either.

Geo
03-14-2008, 12:02 AM
The defense was doing good things as the year progressed, I believe. Trading for both Revis and Harris was very costly, but they got quality players that they will hang onto.

Geo
03-14-2008, 12:04 AM
I root ridiculously hard for the Bills, but I'm worried about the change in offensive coordinator from Steve Fairchild. Don't overlook it imo, especially when the offense already had a difficult time putting points on the board before.

Still, Trent Edwards is a big upgrade over Losman, who couldn't even hit wide open receivers on moderate routes right.

bearsfan_51
03-14-2008, 12:07 AM
No I think the Jets had a great draft last year and the year before. That's the thing I don't get. It's as if they lost their confidence in the draft and just threw a bunch of money around for no reason.

The only signing I liked was Faneca purely as a value signing, but it's really with an emphasis on the now, and the now to me isn't even in the playoffs, let alone competing for a title.

Geo
03-14-2008, 12:12 AM
I agree. I expect that from their GM who isn't good, but Mangenius doesn't have to worry about job security. Or at least he shouldn't imo, I would commit to him for at least five full years. Especially as he's building a 3-4 defense to win.

Interesting that they haven't moved Pennington, maybe he starts again to help them get back to the playoffs. Having a better OL as opposed to a gaping hole at LG tremendously helps whoever is at quarterback.

BroadwayJoe10
03-14-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm generally not one to say how good a gree agency period is until i actually see the impact they have on the team, but i can make a few tongue in cheek comments here.

I think the player who has the potential to have the biggest impact will be jenkins, however i feel faneca will have the biggest impact. He got a large 5 year contract, but if you look how it was structured, if he isn't playing up to his probowl caliber level he will only see 4 years of the deal. He will not only bring an immediate increase in play over our previous human turnstyle of a LG, but potentially increase the play of Mangold and Dbrick. As far as he stays healthy, and he always has, he'll be a good addition.

I was surprised that Woody got the contract he did, but mangini tried getting him the previous year so he must see something in him. I didn't see him play RT, but i heard he did a decent job. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the jets draft a RT in the top of the 2nd round and slide woody into RG, which would leave brandon moore as a very solid backup. Having Callahan on the team i wouldn't be surprised if the jets took nicks in the 2nd or move up into the 3rd if nicks drops.

Pace was given a large contract but only 11ish million was guaranteed compared to the 22 that was reported. Yes he is due a 9 million dollar roster bonus in 09, which he most certainly will get, but it leaves them an out if he flops. He looked good from the one game i saw him, but i'm not sure how they are going to use him. If they plan on him being their rushOLB, or if they'll slide him inside if they get a gholston.

I think the signing of tony richardson will do wonders for the running game; if they end up getting dmac, richardson could easily be leading a new rookie sensation to a 1000 yards.

On paper they filled a lot of holes, which gives them flexibility entering the draft to get BPA, but that of course is just on paper. I guess we'll see what type of impact these guys have in the coming year. (i also think that the browns are in a similar situation when they took some players in free agency who have the potential of having a huge impact on their team)

toonsterwu
03-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Well, on the OL signings, and argument can be made that they are intending to go with Clemens, and the veterans will be more ready to help. And a case can be made that, on Pace, they might've really loved the fit, which is understandable. The Jenkins trade might be a reflection on their perception of their ability to get DT options in the draft, or the fact that netting Jenkins for said cost was a much more effective move than drafting a youngster with a higher pick.

I mean, they still have most of their picks. This isn't exactly tossing the draft away.

As of now, I'd take Buffalo over New York Jets as well. Their QB situation is a bit more settled, their skill positions are better, and their OL isn't the far off. Defensively, they know their scheme and health is the only factor. The move to Schonert might allow them to take more chances downfield, and the fact that he has a superb rapport with Trent Edwards, by most accounts, shouldn't be underrated.

Scotty D
03-14-2008, 12:20 AM
Maybe someone is worried about their job?

Honestly, I love the way the have built their Oline even though I think the Woody signing was irresponsible.

Now the question is since you've built an above average offensive line do you plug in your mediocre back (Thomas Jones) and watch him become above average or do you plug in an above average back (Darren McFadden) and watch him become a star?

toonsterwu
03-14-2008, 12:23 AM
I'd say the answer is that you draft a young RB and work both of them together to protect your QB.

BroadwayJoe10
03-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Maybe someone is worried about their job?

Honestly, I love the way the have built their Oline even though I think the Woody signing was irresponsible.

Now the question is since you've built an above average offensive line do you plug in your mediocre back (Thomas Jones) and watch him become above average or do you plug in an above average back (Darren McFadden) and watch him become a star?

I think it depends upon the options available at the 6th pick. If McFadden is there and no one offers good value for the pick, I fully expect mcfadden to be taken. If chatman shows his ability to stay in shape and produce, it could make TJ become expendable. A platoon of mcfadden, leon and chatman would cover most of the bases.

I think it also brings up the point of how highly the FO thinks of mcfadden and if they think he's the elite back everyone else does. It will definately be an interesting draft.

BroadwayJoe10
03-14-2008, 12:25 AM
I'd say the answer is that you draft a young RB and work both of them together to protect your QB.

I'd like to see that and a young WR; Clemens already has a TE for a couple more years and he seemed to be a security blanket while he was running for his life from our porous Oline this year.

Forenci
03-14-2008, 01:40 AM
Well, I think they went overboard with free agency.

The thing I don't like is they went with a 'win now' type of move. The main reason I have a problem with that is because they lack a proven quarterback. Pennington is somewhat proven, but he's not a long term solution for the Jets. Clemens is still an unknown.

There is such a huge question mark at the QB position that a win now type of move could have all been for not if they don't have a reliable quarterback to lead them.

They have been drafting pretty well. I think if they signed Faneca and continued to build from the draft it would've been a much better off-season thus far.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see though.

Monarchman
03-14-2008, 02:45 AM
look at the redskins..... how many of their big signings workedout

GREENSMACKS
03-14-2008, 03:48 AM
I know this thread is a little late, but I heard this week the Jets had Ty Law in. The Jets have spent a remarkable amount of money this off season plain and simple. Personally I think this is the wrong way to build a long term contender. Obviously for next season the Jets are a much better team, however, losing draft picks and signing veterans to big contracts just seems to a bad idea.What is everyone's view on the Jets eventful off season?

as a jets fan i do not agree with teh spending. by the time the team is ready to compete. most of these guys will be done. first they need to get kellen some weapons, perhaps dj hackett. this offense is about as entertaining and watching a snail take a dump

Jughead10
03-14-2008, 08:01 AM
I really think Mangini and Tannenbaum are trying to save their asses with this spending. People have really soured on Mangini in NY. He went from being Mangenius to Mangidiot. The Jets need DL. Until they get that, they are still going to be run on for huge clips at a time. I'm with Bearsfans on this. Terrible offseason. The only good move was bring in Faneca. I still think they need maybe another guard, OLB, and DE. And they are also putting all their eggs in the Kris Jenkins basket. Which could be potentially terrible.

Thunder&Lightning
03-14-2008, 09:18 AM
The jets signed a lot of guys for way to much they are worth. The word that comes to mind when summing up the jets offseason is... Desperate

BroadwayJoe10
03-14-2008, 09:29 AM
I personally do not buy a make or break year for mangini and tannenbaum just becuase they've invested so heavily in FA. This wasn't a careless spending spree, this was a thought out plan in which they cleared cap room for the previous two years in order to procede with. Woody realizes that his coach is building a new defense and isn't going to fire a guy especially when you can see some of the pieces falling into place.

Obviously i'm a jets fan and this can be looked at as just defending my team, but i don't understand why this spending is such a big deal. People say that free agency is risky, but so is the draft. Suceeding in free agency takes the same type of talent and character evaluation that the draft requires; I would imagine since our FO has shown some ability in the draft that they know what they're doing in free agency. I would personally take an improved team than a crappy team who plays 30 million under the cap.

Well if it's not a job security reason than what's the driving force behind the moves?? I think it's flat out that mangini and tannenbaum are trying to put out the best team that they can for 2008. They want to win and spread that winning culture throughout their franchise. Yes, they need a WR, #2 CB (if miller doesn't pan out) a DE and maybe another OLB, but what's stopping them from getting these pieces in the next 2 or 3 years? Thats 15+ picks in the next three years to fill those slots; these players will then have a year or two to learn behind, Faneca, Jenkins and Woody. I don't understand why everyones acting like in three years when these 3 or 4 players stop playing our team is just gonna stop competing; if they draft right, the incumbent starters will be playing behind these guys for atleast a year.

Now, i'm not saying it's an amazing offseason, becuase you don't know that until you see the impact they have on the team the following years. However, by filling all of the holes on our team, it does give them flexibility entering the draft in order to make moves and take BPA. Due to the Pats being so dominant in our division, we needed to make moves to be competitive and instill a winning culture with our team and fans. I for one am happy our team is serious about winning and not just feeding the fans some BS about wanting to win, when they are more worried about making money.

Dam8610
03-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Suceeding in free agency takes the same type of talent and character evaluation that the draft requires; I would imagine since our FO has shown some ability in the draft that they know what they're doing in free agency.

It does, but the difference is if you miss on a free agent, you're out a lot of cap room and have a gaping hole on your roster. If you miss on a draft pick (aside from 1st round), you're out a small amount of cap space and have a minor hole on your roster.

BroadwayJoe10
03-14-2008, 05:09 PM
It does, but the difference is if you miss on a free agent, you're out a lot of cap room and have a gaping hole on your roster. If you miss on a draft pick (aside from 1st round), you're out a small amount of cap space and have a minor hole on your roster.

Very true, and i don't have the exact contract numbers, but from what i've been told, tannenbaum has left himself some outs. He's the one who got us out of the crazy mess bradway put us in and got us 25 million under in a matter of 2 seasons. I guess we'll have to wait for the end of the year in order to see if they pan on.

By the way, I was looking over the old pictures again and this one you posted was the funniest one i've ever seen on this site.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/160/380768094_40b2c7d5da.jpg

Addict
03-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Very true, and i don't have the exact contract numbers, but from what i've been told, tannenbaum has left himself some outs. He's the one who got us out of the crazy mess bradway put us in and got us 25 million under in a matter of 2 seasons. I guess we'll have to wait for the end of the year in order to see if they pan on.

By the way, I was looking over the old pictures again and this one you posted was the funniest one i've ever seen on this site.

that picture will be the death of me. Every time I see it I just laugh so hard my guts start hurting.

Dam8610
03-14-2008, 05:30 PM

Well, that's the smart way to do FA contracts. Roster bonuses are the best cap trick I know of, as they can be averted (by release), amortized (by conversion to signing bonus), or paid, depending on the need of the cap situation. Other than cash over cap, it's probably the best way to work around the cap. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying testing the free agent market is a bad idea, just that it comes at a lot higher risk than a draft pick 9 times out of 10.

Ah, yes, that was a classic. I wish I could take credit for it, but that came courtesy of another Colts fan over at a Colts board I frequent, the url of which I would post, but I don't want to infringe on the rules of this site. I wonder if Ricky Manning Jr. has ever seen that picture...

jth1331
03-14-2008, 05:43 PM
First, with the way the cap is increasing, these contracts aren't really that bad.
Second, you have to be in ridiculously horrible cap situation prior to the new labor agreement to not be under the cap by 10+ million, so the fact that the Jets got under by 25 in 2 seasons isn't that big of a deal IMO.
Third, I don't see how these moves will suddenly make the Jets a contender. Nearly all the Steeler fans I've heard have said Faneca was overrated last year and past his prime. Kris Jenkins is a huge question mark, and Calvin Pace a smaller one.
Add to the fact that I'm not impressed with their QB's, I see an average season upcoming.

fenikz
03-14-2008, 05:48 PM
First, with the way the cap is increasing, these contracts aren't really that bad.
Second, you have to be in ridiculously horrible cap situation prior to the new labor agreement to not be under the cap by 10+ million, so the fact that the Jets got under by 25 in 2 seasons isn't that big of a deal IMO.
Third, I don't see how these moves will suddenly make the Jets a contender. Nearly all the Steeler fans I've heard have said Faneca was overrated last year and past his prime. Kris Jenkins is a huge question mark, and Calvin Pace a smaller one.
Add to the fact that I'm not impressed with their QB's, I see an average season upcoming.

I agree that Faneca is overrated, Fitz's contract helped the Cardinals dodge that bullet. Jenkins is a huge question mark, apparently he ended last year at 390 and there is a clause in the contract that he has to make weight every pay check, as for Pace I think he will be fine, did they overpay for him? Yes. But he is solid as a 3-4 OLB and I would expect another 90 tackle 8 sack season

Addict
03-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Ah, yes, that was a classic. I wish I could take credit for it, but that came courtesy of another Colts fan over at a Colts board I frequent, the url of which I would post, but I don't want to infringe on the rules of this site. I wonder if Ricky Manning Jr. has ever seen that picture...

I don't think he has... he's probably drawing...

Dam8610
03-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Nearly all the Steeler fans I've heard have said Faneca was overrated last year and past his prime.

What are they going to say? "We're losing an important part of our team that's going to hurt us"? No fan is going to say that unless it's blatantly obvious. IMO Faneca was upset that the Steelers didn't want to extend him and mailed it in last year. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him have a Pro Bowl caliber year.

I don't think he has... he's probably drawing...

Yeah, probably. After all, he has a crayon.

Raiderz4Life
03-14-2008, 07:25 PM
I think the jets may be throwing out a little too much $$$ but at this point in time who isnt? Look at Al Davis....old man threw 50 big ones at Tommy Kelly. But i'll hold judgment until i see results.

as a sidenote...in madden when you buy all the bomb players your team will go like 4-12 if you simulate....so FA isnt very good.....they must do it on purpose to screw you over :S

BroadwayJoe10
03-14-2008, 07:32 PM
What are they going to say? "We're losing an important part of our team that's going to hurt us"? No fan is going to say that unless it's blatantly obvious. IMO Faneca was upset that the Steelers didn't want to extend him and mailed it in last year. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him have a Pro Bowl caliber year.

Yeah, probably. After all, he has a crayon.

Very true. I heard an interview with faneca's agent saying the steelers offered him a million less than what the jets did, but he felt disrespected by them having to wait so long. If that's true than the steelers didn't think he wasn't worth retaining, but than again it's all heresay, so i don't know whether it's true or not.

skinzzfan25
03-14-2008, 08:10 PM
I think the jets may be throwing out a little too much $$$ but at this point in time who isnt? Look at Al Davis....old man threw 50 big ones at Tommy Kelly. But i'll hold judgment until i see results.

as a sidenote...in madden when you buy all the bomb players your team will go like 4-12 if you simulate....so FA isnt very good.....they must do it on purpose to screw you over :S

The Redskins.

I'm glad we 'sat out' this free agency. A lot of mediocre players got payed BIG bucks.

bigbluedefense
03-14-2008, 08:33 PM
I like some of it, dislike some of it. I think theyve done a terrific job in the draft, and trying to fill holes in FA is just not a great winning formula in my eyes.

The biggest issue i have is that theyre all short term solutions. All the "issues" they have will arise very quickly again, so its not like they won't still have to address them via the draft.

The oline signings are good, but again short term and thats alot of money in a short term solution. Also Jenkins, well they had to do something. And there really were no NTs in the draft. The thing though is, thats putting a lot of faith in an injury prone washed up guy like Jenkins. He should play better than Robertson did, but its still a high risk move bc of his health concerns.

Theyre still in position to really improve their team, because the draft is around the corner. Jets fans just better hope they do the right thing and draft a pass rusher at 6, and perhaps a dlinemen in round 2. They don't need a RB.

They also need a CB.

Dam8610
03-14-2008, 08:50 PM
True, free agency is mostly short term solutions, which is why usually teams near the top of the draft sign most of the players. Sometimes a team needs a short term solution to a need so that they can focus on another need in the draft, then come back and address the other need in a later draft.

bigbluedefense
03-14-2008, 08:54 PM
True, free agency is mostly short term solutions, which is why usually teams near the top of the draft sign most of the players. Sometimes a team needs a short term solution to a need so that they can focus on another need in the draft, then come back and address the other need in a later draft.

i think the main issue is, when you invest legit money in short term solutions, its detrimental to your team long term because now it becomes harder to extend the promising young talent you develop on your team.

and when you lose those guys in FA, you just accelerate the problem, and keep going in circles. its just better building through the draft. look at all the good teams in the NFL, the majority have been built through the draft.

I look at GB as a great example. You suffer for a couple of years, but then develop your team to be competitive for a long time when you do it the right way.

SenorGato
03-16-2008, 02:14 AM
No I think the Jets had a great draft last year and the year before. That's the thing I don't get. It's as if they lost their confidence in the draft and just threw a bunch of money around for no reason.

The only signing I liked was Faneca purely as a value signing, but it's really with an emphasis on the now, and the now to me isn't even in the playoffs, let alone competing for a title.

How'd they lose confidence in the draft? It's not like we handed away our draft picks, we still have them.

BroadwayJoe10
03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Well, they can add on bubba franks to the list.

"Jets agreed to terms with TE Bubba Franks, formerly of the Packers.
Franks, 30, caught 18 passes for 132 yards (7.2 YPC) and three TDs in 2007 as Donald Lee's backup. He's slowed down quite a bit, but can still help in the run game. Franks will be the Jets' No. 2 tight end behind Chris Baker."

It seems as though mangini is dead set on running a multiple TE set and being able to oppose his will on other teams dline in the running game. Oline needed help, but now a pretty good runblocking TE and tony richardson, it seems as though he's not content running trick plays on 3rd&4th and short and wants to be able to pick them up by playing a little hardnosed football.
It's also a pretty telling sign that he wants to gain a little height in the redzone as well; utecht was 6'6 and franks is 6'6, i would imagine carlson or rucker would fit in nice in the later rounds.

nvot9
03-16-2008, 12:23 PM
I like some of it, dislike some of it. I think theyve done a terrific job in the draft, and trying to fill holes in FA is just not a great winning formula in my eyes.

The biggest issue i have is that theyre all short term solutions. All the "issues" they have will arise very quickly again, so its not like they won't still have to address them via the draft.

The oline signings are good, but again short term and thats alot of money in a short term solution. Also Jenkins, well they had to do something. And there really were no NTs in the draft. The thing though is, thats putting a lot of faith in an injury prone washed up guy like Jenkins. He should play better than Robertson did, but its still a high risk move bc of his health concerns.

Theyre still in position to really improve their team, because the draft is around the corner. Jets fans just better hope they do the right thing and draft a pass rusher at 6, and perhaps a dlinemen in round 2. They don't need a RB.

They also need a CB.

I think the big thing that makes them such big FA winners is the fact that they didn't throw around nearly as much money as it seems. Everyone sees the big contracts but they don't realize that most of that money, the player's won't ever see. The Calvin Pace signing is the only one where I think you could legitimately argue that the Jets invested too much money in, but I think he can be very successful, so time will tell. Faneca's not gunna see half the money he got probably, Kris Jenkins is not necessarily going to see his full contract paid out, but if he plays the way I expect he will, then wouldn't we as Jets fans want him to see his whole contract? Tannenbaum's an absolute cap genius and I'm not in the least bit worried about our cap situation, we're still 4.5 million under the cap (prior to the Bubba Franks signing). If you remember, the Jets were roughly 16.5 over the cap just two years ago, and now look at them...

CC.SD
03-16-2008, 12:55 PM
It really seems like the Jets are loading up for a run, but they don't have a QB. Is all this spending just to make the Clemmens transition easier?

BroadwayJoe10
03-16-2008, 02:13 PM
It really seems like the Jets are loading up for a run, but they don't have a QB. Is all this spending just to make the Clemmens transition easier?

The jets have/had one of the youngest teams in the NFL and these signings, I would imagine, are more to better the team than irrational spendings to win this year or next. It was obvious we needed help on the Oline, which was addressed with Woody and Faneca. Signing richardson and franks leads me to beleive we are going to be employing a run heavy multiple TE set this season.

Pace/Woody/Jenkins and Faneca will all hopefully be around for 3+ years. This gives us this years draft and an additional 3+ drafts to not only take care of the #2 CB spot, WR and DE spot that are needs now, but to draft Oline and Dline help to learn under and take over for these vets. I fully beleive we are in a win now mode, but not one where we mortgaged our future in order to do so. We have every pick in this years draft minus our 3rd and 5th rounder; we did pick up an extra 4th rounder as well as the possiblity for a 2nd or 3rd next year.

I like the moves as of now, because the guaranteed money isn't as great as it once seemed. It gives us flexibility going into the draft and i really have no idea what direction we are going.

nvot9
03-16-2008, 02:16 PM
The jets have/had one of the youngest teams in the NFL and these signings, I would imagine, are more to better the team than irrational spendings to win this year or next. It was obvious we needed help on the Oline, which was addressed with Woody and Faneca. Signing richardson and franks leads me to beleive we are going to be employing a run heavy multiple TE set this season.

Pace/Woody/Jenkins and Faneca will all hopefully be around for 3+ years. This gives us this years draft and an additional 3+ drafts to not only take care of the #2 CB spot, WR and DE spot that are needs now, but to draft Oline and Dline help to learn under and take over for these vets. I fully beleive we are in a win now mode, but not one where we mortgaged our future in order to do so. We have every pick in this years draft minus our 3rd and 5th rounder; we did pick up an extra 4th rounder as well as the possiblity for a 2nd or 3rd next year.

I like the moves as of now, because the guaranteed money isn't as great as it once seemed. It gives us flexibility going into the draft and i really have no idea what direction we are going.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

jetsfan0099
03-17-2008, 04:44 PM
The Jets signings were ones that they thought about. They had to many holes, and mis judged the talent level last year. They had a great coaching staff and do a great job in the draft, this is not hurting them in any way. The only way it hurts them is if they don't resign Kerry Rhodes to a long term because of it, which they will. Mike Tannenbaum the Jets GM is a cap genius, he knows how to work the cap. He is not a horrible GM, he is actually one of the brightest GM in the game IMO only being a 3 year GM.
Mangini I think is the real deal at HC, he knows his stuff. The contracts weren't as bad as people think, Jenkins only has 9 mil guaranteed. Remember Jenkins wasn't happy with the Panthers, he is happy now and motivated, he is going to be at all the voluntary workouts and mini camps. He can potentially revive his career this year.

Faneca brings us a vet on the OL that can help Ferguson and Mangold more. We go from the worst OG in the NFL last year in Adrien Clarke, to one of the top OG in the league. Woody play good at RT last year, and once again he is a happy player and remotivated, and could revive his career.
The Jets did not hurt themselves, they just wanted a more competitive team in 08. They were in most games with out the right personal for a 3-4 defense, and lack of talent on the OL. Kellen Clemens is a 3rd year QB, he showed tons of talent last year, his stats are misleading, if you watched him you would see also that he has a legitment chance at being a successful QB in this league. He has a big arm and is smart, doesn't make a lot of mental mistakes, most of his mistakes were due to a poor OL and bad targets. Coles wasn't even healthy last year.
Jets had a young team before these signings, they just added some vets, I don't agree with Pace signing, but the Jets are a team that like to draft BAP rather then need, because they believe drafting on need causes more BUST.

portermvp84
03-18-2008, 11:50 AM
It just kinda of seems that their spending big bucks on average FA's. I've notcie the guys that they have brought in are up there in age. But I have them over Buffalo and Miami still.

jetsfan0099
03-18-2008, 01:50 PM
It just kinda of seems that their spending big bucks on average FA's. I've notcie the guys that they have brought in are up there in age. But I have them over Buffalo and Miami still.

Its better paying big Bucks for Faneca then some of the average OG that got huge deals last year like Derrick Dockery. They didn't really spend as much as people think, the first contracts that was reported were BS, the only guy that really got huge money was Faneca, and he is a 7 time pro bowler.

Also whats with the Raiders?? Signing Tommy Kelly to make him the highest paid DT in the NFL, or signing Javon Walker to that kind of contract even though he has terrible knees.