PDA

View Full Version : LB or CB?

Bradyjackson12
03-14-2008, 08:16 PM
what do you think is the biggest need of the patriots considering their need and the quality of the prospect for their 1st round draft pick.
I know many will say that Belichik doesn't draft LB in the early round but there's always a first time.

For me I think that LB is the best choice in the top 10 considering Keith Rivers 'cause I don't like Mckelvin and Jenkins.
However if we can trade down in the 15-25 spot I really like Rogers Cromartie.

So what are you thougt about this topic?

Bostonsportlova
03-16-2008, 07:39 PM
1. If were there at #7 with Gholston on the board i say take him. Hes the perfect pass rushing 3-4 olb.

2. If Gholston is gone, but a top player Dorsey, McFadden, Long etc falls I would trade out (People would love to have) and draft Cromartie

3. If Gholston is gone and the top players in the draft are gone. I would draft Rivers to play ILB

Biggest needs: OLB,CB,ILB

I say CB second because if we draft the number 1 corner on the board he still wont be able to play #1 corner in the nfl (which is what we need)

Thunder&Lightning
03-18-2008, 07:20 AM
I think pats only go LB if Gholston is available...Vrabel can move inside and give Gholston the versatility Adalius has. If gholston is gone then CB is the deff. need. Lost asante and *** to FA this offseason and Hobbs has been far from trustworthy IMO.

Bigburt63
03-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I agree that CB is clearly a need, probably the biggest, but I dont see a corner who fits the system well enough to take there. The only exception to that would be Talib, who i feel would be a great pick, but would like to trade down to get him.

Don Vito
03-18-2008, 11:11 PM
The ideal scenario in my opinion is Gholston in the first with Cason in the second. The staff is looking hard at Cason and I would be thrilled if we got him in the second, even if we have to trade up. Both positions are huge needs but I still say LB is need #1. We have turned a lot of DBs taken from round 2 on into very good players but we haven't drafted an impact LB in a while.

portermvp84
03-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Bryant was a good sign for you guys.

luckyjackaubrey
03-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Bryant must be categorized as this years Chad Scott. Anything we get from him will be a bonus based on his injury track record. A far cry from getting in the Ty Law sweepstakes eh ?

Nalej
03-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I think pats only go LB if Gholston is available...Vrabel can move inside and give Gholston the versatility Adalius has. If gholston is gone then CB is the deff. need. Lost asante and *** to FA this offseason .

Agreed with this.

proshoota25
03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
i agree with everything all of you said. gholston would be the ideal pick at #7, but it doesnt look like that will happen anymore. i really dont think they pick a corner at the 7 spot. if they stay at seven, i think the only picks would be gholston, rivers, or surprise: Derrick Harvey. He can fit the OLB/DE position and is also an athletic freak. If they dont do either or those three, i believe they will trade down and target a corner, Talib, Jenkins, or DRC

JMiah
04-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Give me Ghoulston! I think that the Jets will grab him at #6 just so the Pats can't get him... freaking Jets...

RollingMoss
04-02-2008, 06:49 PM
If you guys get Gholston, the League is gonna **** themselves scared.

Boston'sWhizKid
04-21-2008, 04:41 PM
If you think of the top 7 players in the draft: C. Long, J. Long, Ryan, Mcfadden, Dorsey, Ellis, Gholston; at least one (and probably 2 if the chiefs take alpert of clady) will fall too us. Following is what we should do depending on who falls. (In order of how likely it is.)

Sedrick Ellis: We trade to the Bengals (9) or Saints (10) and take Kieth Rivers who I view as a 10-15 pick, not a top 10.

Vernon Gholston: We take him! If anyone would give an obscene amount for him (2nd and 3rd in '08, 1st in '09, and 1st in 10') we trade, but otherwise we keep.

Darren McFadden: Take him, see if wee can get 2 later first rounders for him (cowboys) or a 1st and 3rd this year and a 1st next year. If not, keep him and have a great 2 back punch.

Dorsey: Take him, same thing as with Ellis but demand a bit more. (instead of trading for Saint's 1st and 6th, get 1st and 5th)

Ryan: Trade with Ravens (8) and then repeat with remaining player.

Chris Long: Take him, play him somehow.

Jake Long: Take him, convert him to or use him at RT until Light is gone.

Jay
04-21-2008, 06:03 PM
The dream scenario right now for the Pats has to be Gholsten being there at 7, or Matt Ryan being there at 7. Gholston being there means we get a beast at LB and Ryan being there means we trade down to a more reasonable position and add a second or 09 first. Any other situation that is not Chris or Jake Long would be less than ideal...

proshoota25
04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
what happens if most of those guys are gone, and derrick harvey and all the corners are left with no trade possibilities?

i think its gotta be keith rivers in that spot then

Jay
04-21-2008, 06:56 PM
They'll trade down even if they only get a third. Anyone will move up for the right price. I agree that Rivers should be the guy at #7 if everyone else is gone... what we really have to hope for is a wild card jumping up in the top 6 leaving one of the big guns there at 7 even if just for a trade...

Bigburt63
04-21-2008, 09:19 PM
i agree...i think the wild card play would be a trade up to get someone they covet (gholston, c long) to mess with the jets at the same time

BradytoMoss
04-21-2008, 10:27 PM
I agree with all of you are saying. The only way I seem them staying at 7 is if Gholston is available. If not, I see them trading with New Orleans or Cinci, who will most likely trade up for Ellis. It would be very unlikely for them to take a corner, so I see them taking Rivers with the pick.

By the way, is it possible to trade a second round pick and a forth for perhaps Lito Sheppard? That was a rumor back in March, but I'm not sure where it is at now. It would be a great upgrade.

proshoota25
04-21-2008, 11:07 PM
i would do that in a heartbeat but the thing is that lito is going to want a new contract and that contract would be comparable to that of asante samuel. so are they willing to give lito that phat contract plus give up a second and a fourth? i am not so sure they would do that.... unfortunately......

luckyjackaubrey
04-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Watch for the Panthers to quietly inquire about the #7 pick if Ryan is still there. They like the fit of his talents (leader, intangibles, good overall talent) and their time table for him to play (similar QB onboard with a few years left).

Nalej
04-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Wellll... i don't know about you guys but I'm liking the chances of us gettin Gholston now.
Long just signed with Miami and the Falcons are supposably leaning towards M. Ryan.
This is me hoping that the Chiefs still wanna address their OLine vice DLine, even with the J. Allen trade pending.

1. J. Long- Dolphins
2. G. Dorsey- Rams
3. M. Ryan- Falcons
4. C. Long- Raiders
5. Alberts/Clady- Chiefs
6. D. McFadden- Jets
7. Gave Over

proshoota25
04-22-2008, 02:43 PM
we will see.... things could get shaken with trades and such.... but the things scenario we need the most to see a player like gholston or mcfadden drop to us is the following

1: Matt Ryan get selected before us (Either Atlanta or Kansas City)
2. An unexpected player gets picked in the Top 6 (OT or Sedrick Ellis to Kansas City)

Basically I really believe Kansas City holds the cards for the Patriots in this draft and is clearly the wildcard in the Top 5

Possible Draft Selections for Each Team

1. Miami - Jake Long, Done and Delivered
2. St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey, Chris Long, or Vernon Gholston
3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan or Glenn Dorsey
4. Oakland - Chris Long, Darren McFadden, or Vernon Gholston
5. Kansas City - Albert, Otah, Clady, Ryan, or BPA
6. New York Jets - Darren McFadden, Vernon Gholston, or Chris Long
7. New England - Chris Long,Gholston, McFadden, Rivers, or Harvey

Order listed are just possibilities, not what i think will happen

Im hoping one either Long/Gholston/ or McFadden fall to us....... But if not, we will prolly trade out. If we dont, i really think its Keith Rivers

BradytoMoss
04-22-2008, 03:07 PM
I see Long going to St Louis and Ryan to Atlanta, which rests our pick with the Oakland. If they choose Dorsey, which I think they will, then Gholston will ultimately end up with us, with the Jets deciding to take McFadden. Otherwise, if Oakland takes Gholston or McFadden, then we should try and trade with Cinci or New Orleans and grab Rivers.

proshoota25
04-22-2008, 10:57 PM
I see Long going to St Louis and Ryan to Atlanta, which rests our pick with the Oakland. If they choose Dorsey, which I think they will, then Gholston will ultimately end up with us, with the Jets deciding to take McFadden. Otherwise, if Oakland takes Gholston or McFadden, then we should try and trade with Cinci or New Orleans and grab Rivers.

i really think atlanta has glenn dorsey as their top guy, and would take him over Matt Ryan. but at this point its prolly 50/50, and if dorsey/mcfadden/gholston all fall, this is a great scenario for the patriots

Bigburt63
04-23-2008, 12:00 AM
The chiefs ar enow serious players to draft a DE, which sucks

Bigburt63
04-23-2008, 11:38 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Law-set-to-sign-with-Patriots-;_ylt=Al4QVoe4UbyVS7d7Zag2_YdDubYF?urn=nfl,78567

I am really starting to think that the patriots wont draft a cd OR a lb (at least in the first round). hobson gives some depth inside, but with him, bruschi, and seau they have 3 ILB's that could start. at corner they have added a few (with law) corners that are capable of playing. sigh, as usual i think they will go with some pick that is completley random (see ben watson at 32), or unexpected.

Nalej
04-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Law back with the Pats? I love it. I don't care how old he is... he's still an upgrade for us right now.

And yes... the chiefs are now a serious possibility for a DE. That f-in blows.

For the record... I hate the idea of us drafting S. Ellis.
Not unless we'll use that as bait to trade his rights to another
team for a 1st round pick plus a 3rd rd, or highest possible.
I also "ehhh" on the D. Harvey pick as well. Not sure if I'm a fan of that either.

Keith Rivers... Clady... Alberts... My guesses/hopes now.

proshoota25
04-23-2008, 01:40 PM
yea it looks like its down to Gholston/Ryan/Albert for the Chiefs at #5

I HATE Clady, dont want to see him here. I would rather have Albert, and he is the only offensive lineman id consider if i was at 7. I am hoping it is Rivers/Albert/hopefully Gholston (crossing fingers)

Nalej
04-23-2008, 01:50 PM
I like Clady 'cause he's a natural RT (or am I wrong?)

Gholston... I even saw that if Gholston was drafted before
C. Long... then Long could even possibly fall to us.
Not realistic but you never know.

Really, I rather just trade down if Gholston and Long aren't there.
We can still get the same players (Rivers/Alberts/Clady) if we move
down a couple spots. It's not worth it to stay at 7, in that scenerio

Bigburt63
04-23-2008, 02:21 PM
I like harvey as a potential fit in our scheme, and i likewise hate the pick of a DT at 7. i know it could be good in the long run but i would absolutely hate it right now.

proshoota25
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM
i like harvey as well

Bigburt63
04-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I really dont want the pats to draft albert, maybe its just me but I dont really want to draft a guard at the 7 spot, and i love o-lineman. I feel his "versatility" is overrated as most guards could prolly move out to tackle if they absolutley had to

proshoota25
04-24-2008, 11:14 PM
Ill be happy if the pick is of the following: Gholston, McFadden, Albert, DRC, Jenkins, or Harvey either of those guys would be great....... DRC and Jenkins would have to be through a trade down

500TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bostonsportlova
04-25-2008, 07:38 AM
I really want to trade down but if Ghoston or Long were there at #7 you have to take one.

The way the draft seems to be going as of late I want to trade down, they wont be there.