PDA

View Full Version : DeAngelo Hall traded to Raiders per ESPN

Pages : [1] 2

D-Unit
03-15-2008, 04:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3295344

< The Atlanta Falcons have reached an agreement in principle with the Oakland Raiders to trade cornerback DeAngelo Hall for the Raiders' second-round pick in the 2008 draft, pending the Raiders finalizing a contract with Hall, according a source close to the Falcons.

Hall is close to agreeing to a contract with the Raiders that will pay him just below what Asante Samuel signed with the Eagles, according to the source. Samuel signed a six-year deal worth a reported $57 million, with $20 million guaranteed.

Hall, a former first-rounder taken with the eighth pick in the 2004 draft.

D-Unit
03-15-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm actually kinda mad cause I wanted him on the Boyz.

Dr. Gonzo
03-15-2008, 04:36 PM
I think it is a good trade for the Raiders if he gets his **** together. But look at what happened with Randy.

SaintsFanForLife
03-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Nice move for a second rounder.

P-L
03-15-2008, 04:38 PM
So wait... Does this mean they will no longer have the money to sign Asomugha?

freebirdsrams02
You would think the Falcons would want a lot more for Hall. But now the Raiders have three good CBs.

scottyboy
wow. the raiders...like to uhhh spend some $ huh?

Word around all the Giants' blogs and beat writers were Falcons had a deal with us, but Hall wanted too much $ for our tastes.

PACKmanN
WOW, they have a lot of first day picks in that secondary. What happens to whats his name now?

Bills2083
03-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Hall for a 2nd rounder is a good trade, IMO.
What do they do with Asomugha though?

PACKmanN
03-15-2008, 04:40 PM
Could the Falcons trade up for a late round qb now? Brohm?

bearsfan_51
03-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Hahaha.....

a trade that will piss off fans from both teams? I LOVE IT!!

freebirdsrams02
03-15-2008, 04:42 PM
This trade would now give the Falcons 3 2nd round picks.

Ness
03-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Were the Raiders not happy with Washington? Did he not produce this past season?

scottyboy
03-15-2008, 04:44 PM
I guess it makes sense financially. The Raiders figured chances were they weren't going to keep Aso after next season, so have a asty CB duo for one year, and just have Hall take over for Aso season after next. Kinda makes sense actually

regoob2
03-15-2008, 04:44 PM
wow they got some speed in that secondary. Al Davis move at its finest.

SaintsFanForLife
03-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Im just glad he is out of the NFC South.

princefielder28
Money means nothing to the Raiders...still have to take care of Asomugha and they have to pay the 4th overall pick

Geo
Hahaha.....

a trade that will piss off fans from both teams? I LOVE IT!!
If I were a Raiders fan, I'd be pissed if this meant Asomugha had to walk.

If they have to trade Asomugha, well, he should get much more in return than Hall did. Nnamdi is better. But if they do, they have a starting corner I suppose.

If they can keep both, then it's a completely different story and I'd probably be sending many praises to Al Davis' way. If only they didn't overpay for Kelly so much ...

bearsfan_51
I guess it makes sense financially. The Raiders figured chances were they weren't going to keep Aso after next season, so have a asty CB duo for one year, and just have Hall take over for Aso season after next. Kinda makes sense actually
It makes no sense. Aso wouldn't have stayed for the type of money they gave to Hall? I have a hard time believing that.

Jakey
03-15-2008, 04:46 PM
If i was a Falcons fan...i would be hurting right now!

nikkayeah
03-15-2008, 04:47 PM
asomugha and hall what a combo

ATLDirtyBirds
We just got out smarted by Al Davis. My god.

D-Unit
How much did they pay Javon Walker again? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bearsfan_51
03-15-2008, 04:48 PM
If I were a Raiders fan, I'd be pissed if this meant Asomugha had to walk.

If they have to trade Asumogha, well, he should get much more in return than Hall did. Nnamdi is better. But if they do, they have a starting corner I suppose.

If they can keep both, then it's a completely different story and I'd probably be sending many praises to Al Davis' way. If only they didn't overpay for Kelly so much ...
I love Hall's talent. I think the Giants trading for him would have made a lot of sense, even with the massive contract, but this is just silly for the Raiders IMO.

neko4
The Falcons are getting rid of their Viginia/Virginia Tech connections
Why do the raiders like these borderline character guys?

slightlyaraiderfan
Were the Raiders not happy with Washington? Did he not produce this past season?
He sucks, he was demoted in favor of Routt.

Right now I'm not sure what to think of this trade, sure D-Hall is good..but wtf, that pick was going to fill a hole...and what happens with Asumogha..

scottyboy
It makes no sense. Aso wouldn't have stayed for the type of money they gave to Hall? I have a hard time believing that.

I thought of that as well, but perhaps Aso is fed up with the suckiness of the Raiders? It doesn't make as much sense as I first thought...

It will be quite funny to see Falcon fans reactions to getting a 2nd rounder after some wanting Justin Tuck and the Giants whole day 1 lol

Geo
03-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah, money would have been better spent on Aso than Kelly and Walker. This is why you re-sign your own playmakers first and foremost.

Maybe they can make it work, to keep Aso and Hall. That's nasty.

neko4
How much did they pay Javon Walker again? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And Jamarcus Russell and whover they draft at #4
And how much money is Gallery still getting

Young Legend
wow..For a second round pick..cant be mad at all.

superpack84
How much cap room do the Raiders have?

Paranoidmoonduck
03-15-2008, 04:50 PM
The Raiders have spent a lot of money this offseason, but the reality is that most of those players aren't going to see anywhere close to the total money. I have a hard time seeing Al letting the best draft pick he's made in forever, a defensive back no less, walk.

If there's a guy out there who would pay out the ass for the best corner duo in the NFL, his name is Al Davis. And as long as the Raiders are going for broke, I love this move.

scottyboy
03-15-2008, 04:50 PM

after the draft? I estimate about $11

neko4
03-15-2008, 04:51 PM
http://www.conigliofamily.com/images/DavisRing.jpg

Hehehehe

Geo
03-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm surprised they haven't cut Lamont Jordan yet. That will free up more room. Maybe they can ditch NT Terdell Sands even though they gave him a 4-year deal before 07.

Luckily Burgess has a 3M salary the next two seasons, which is why I don't think they look Gholston despite his workout warrior ability.

PACKmanN

With the cap going up again, Aso has a better chance making more money in FA next year, then taking this contract.

Geo
The Raiders have spent a lot of money this offseason, but the reality is that most of those players aren't going to see anywhere close to the total money. I have a hard time seeing Al letting the best draft pick he's made in forever, a defensive back no less, walk.

If there's a guy out there who would pay out the ass for the best corner duo in the NFL, his name is Al Davis. And as long as the Raiders are going to broke, I love this move.
See, this is what I'm thinking, PM. Good post. I think Davis will want to make it work. He spent 1-2M extra to make Aso an exclusive franchise player, so that he couldn't even talk to other teams.

The man franchise tagged Charles Woodson for two seasons.

Ness
03-15-2008, 04:53 PM
He sucks, he was demoted in favor of Routt.

Right now I'm not sure what to think of this trade, sure D-Hall is good..but wtf, that pick was going to fill a hole...and what happens with Asumogha..

I'd be surprised if Asomugha wasn't the starter.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-15-2008, 04:53 PM

They should have plenty. Kelly, Walker, Fargas, and Wilson are making a total of 2.8 million combined in 2008.

Yung Flippa
03-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Wow...only a second round pick.

scottyboy
03-15-2008, 04:55 PM
They should have plenty. Kelly, Walker, Fargas, and Wilson are making a total of 2.8 million in 2008.

another pretty good point. Alot of these deals(i think) are pretty backloaded. For now, they should be ok.

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2008, 04:56 PM
@#$&*@^@#(*&^)@#$*&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does this mean Asomugha is gone this year or next? I would rather have Scrabble over Hall any day of the week. This really ticks me off.

03-15-2008, 04:56 PM
wow, we traded for one of my fave defensive players! Can't complain. If we could somehow keep Aso and D-Hall I'd be thrilled! :)

bearsfan_51
03-15-2008, 04:57 PM
So who do the Falcons have in their secondary now? I may need to readjust my mock.

And to whomever asked before about trading up for a QB, I don't see it, unless they REALLY like Flacco and are afraid someone else will leapfrog them. I can't see them, or any other team, getting a hot hand for Brohm or Henne.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
So who do the Falcons have in their secondary now? I may need to readjust my mock.

And to whomever asked before about trading up for a QB, I don't see it, unless they REALLY like Flacco and are afraid someone else will leapfrog them. I can't see them, or any other team, getting a hot hand for Brohm or Henne.

Chris Houston, Von Hucthins, Lawyer Milloy, and Erik Coleman. Yikes.

Geo
03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Someone is trading up into the 1st for Flacco, you know it. :)

bearsfan_51
03-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Chris Houston, Von Hucthins, Lawyer Milloy, and Erik Coleman. Yikes.

No seriously.

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 05:00 PM
im shocked....if NNamdi stays...imma have an orgasm :D lol

Geo
03-15-2008, 05:00 PM
zomg don't forget Jimmy Williams ... who, ah, hasn't really done a thing in the pros ...

03-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Best CB duo in the league on paper atleast.

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Well, after reading nfl.com the deal may fall, its still not a sure thing and it's not scheduled to be completed til later on this week so who knows......

bearsfan_51
03-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Best CB duo in the league on paper atleast.
I don't think there's any question about that.

Geo
03-15-2008, 05:05 PM
btw, as much as I like Kiffin, he can officially ditch his desire to implement a Tampa 2. Screw that, he needs to go full man press with Aso and Hall, and focus on stopping the running game with Gibril Wilson in the box and Huff as the roaming FS back there.

They should take a page from the Packers, try to acquire as much talent on the defensive line as possible with smart drafting, and just rotate the **** out of the opponents with blends of power and speed.

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 05:08 PM
We should bust out a Giants and use the 3 defensive end thing.....we'll we could've if we still had Clemons, but a lil help on D-Line and Nnamdi and Dhall will lockdown the backfield

Vikes99ej
03-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I'm going to wait for this to be officially announced, and make sure nothing happens similiar to the Shaun Rogers and DeWayne Robertson trades.

jetsfan0099
03-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I told you Falcon fans! You said that Hall would stay with the Falcons for his career. Only got a 2nd rounder for him? Management must not be so good at dealing, especially with all the hype on this player.

Geo
03-15-2008, 05:10 PM
This is so crazy.

I <3 the offseason.

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Mortenson is apparently reporting that Asomugha is supposed to receive a contract extension as well. If that happens along with this trade, I don't know how opponents will be able to pass on us. Running on the other hand... that's a different story...

03-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Man you guys don't understand how ecstatic I am right now. I'm just really worried teams are gonna run at us all day unless we get some serious DL help.

regoob2
03-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Man you guys don't understand how ecstatic I am right now. I'm just really worried teams are gonna run at us all day unless we get some serious DL help.
You can keep 8 in the box with this secondary.

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 05:14 PM
I wonder if someone like idk...say...oakm could fall to us in the 3rd....or maybe deal LJ for a 2nd rounder....or find a way to get back into the 2nd

bearsfan_51
03-15-2008, 05:16 PM
The thing that really makes no sense to me, is that the AFC West is made up of offenses that work the middle of the field and the running game. Did the Raiders really need to acquire Hall to match him up against Craig Daivs and Sammie Parker?

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2008, 05:17 PM
I wonder if someone like idk...say...oakm could fall to us in the 3rd....or maybe deal LJ for a 2nd rounder....or find a way to get back into the 2nd

We don't have a 3rd, remember? Traded it for Mario Henderson...

03-15-2008, 05:17 PM

Okam will be there in the 3rd for sure.

Sveen
03-15-2008, 05:19 PM
They should get some help on the d-line in the draft with Glenn Dorsey and/or Sedrick Ellis sitting there when they go on the clock ;)

Edit: Or maybe Vernon Gholston? Totally forgot about him for a minute there.

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 05:19 PM
We don't have a 3rd, remember? Traded it for Mario Henderson...

Thats right.....damned....Mario better be a stud..i like him but as of right now...imma kepp him in the bubble. So we wont have a pick until the 4th after we pick at #4 eh? Trade LJ and Rhodes then

Geo
03-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Go with Ahtyba Rubin over Okam. I think that guy is going to make a very good NT prospect.

I don't think anyone will trade for LaMont Jordan, with his existing contract: he'll get released. Rhodes restructured his deal to take less money, but maybe he still gets cut if they draft McFadden.

Again, there's a hole at left tackle, I think Jake Long is a strong consideration if he's available.

ThePudge
03-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Interestingly enough, this puts Atlanta in an EXCELLENT position to move up for the #1 pick. Right now they hold #3, #34, #37, #48, and #68. Either they move up to #1 or they'll trade back in to the late 1st. Not a bad move for them, will be more fun to watch the draft now if you're a Falcons fan. Unfortunately, it just gives them one more hole to fill...

d34ng3l021
03-15-2008, 05:24 PM
*tear*

I saw it coming for a while...but now its actually happened. Hall's one of my favorite players in the league and now to see him go is hard. But I am sure its better for the team. He was becoming a big problem with all the times he was talking.

I am kind of upset with the pick we got for him. I think we couldve gotten more than just a 2nd. Maybe Washington along with Hall. A 2nd is decent I guess. I was definitely thinking we would end up with the Redskins 1st.

And the CB duo of Nnamdi and Hall is kind of ridiculous, if they keep both for this year at least. Hall and Nnamdi lock up. Huff roams. Wilson is in the box. If Oakland can add Ellis or Dorsey to their team, then thats not a terrible defense.

Congrats Raiders fans for having my favorite player. :(

I cant even get his jersey when he is with the Raiders. I live in the Bay and a Raiders jersey automatically means gangster affiliations.

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 05:25 PM
We need to find a way to get back into the 2nd or at least the 3rd....idk if we have the necessary bait to do so though....

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Interestingly enough, this puts Atlanta in an EXCELLENT position to move up for the #1 pick. Right now they hold #3, #34, #37, #48, and #68. Either they move up to #1 or they'll trade back in to the late 1st. Not a bad move for them, will be more fun to watch the draft now if you're a Falcons fan. Unfortunately, it just gives them one more hole to fill...

And less fun for Raider fans. Haha!

d34ng3l021
03-15-2008, 05:28 PM
If we trade up, I will be so pissed. 4 picks in the first 2 rounds for a team that needs to rebuild basically everywhere.

03-15-2008, 05:28 PM
*tear*

I saw it coming for a while...but now its actually happened. Hall's one of my favorite players in the league and now to see him go is hard. But I am sure its better for the team. He was becoming a big problem with all the times he was talking.

I am kind of upset with the pick we got for him. I think we couldve gotten more than just a 2nd. Maybe Washington along with Hall. A 2nd is decent I guess. I was definitely thinking we would end up with the Redskins 1st.

And the CB duo of Nnamdi and Hall is kind of ridiculous, if they keep both for this year at least. Hall and Nnamdi lock up. Huff roams. Wilson is in the box. If Oakland can add Ellis or Dorsey to their team, then thats not a terrible defense.

Congrats Raiders fans for having my favorite player. :(

I cant even get his jersey when he is with the Raiders. I live in the Bay and a Raiders jersey automatically means gangster affiliations.

He's now closer to home for you though if that means anything.

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2008, 05:29 PM

Dude, that sucks... Is that because of school? I couldn't stand rules like that at schools...

If I were you, I'd just sport the Falcons' jersey. Or go with a Pro Bowl jersey.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-15-2008, 05:30 PM

Hey now, I own a Raider jersey and neither the Bloods nor the Crips would take me.

It'll be interesting to see what Oakland does with it's only pick in the first three rounds. Trading back would be smart, but it isn't like Al Davis to do that and I don't know who would want to move up. Assuming Chris Long is gone, I have a sneaking suspicion that Al is gearing up to draft McFadden.

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2008, 05:31 PM
If we trade up, I will be so pissed. 4 picks in the first 2 rounds for a team that needs to rebuild basically everywhere.

I don't see the Falcons targeting anyone to trade up for #1. Maybe to get back into the 1st... perhaps... If they don't like Ryan or Long, I wouldn't be shocked if they actually try to trade back to get even more picks.

d34ng3l021
03-15-2008, 05:32 PM
He's now closer to home for you though if that means anything.

Yeah. I think I am going to watch more Raiders game for sure. I love Russell and I liked the acquisition of Walker (not for that price). Hall and Nnamdi are great players. Huff was one of my favorite prospects in his draft.

Hopefully Hall can prove his doubters wrong while playing in OAK. I wish him the best of luck.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-15-2008, 05:32 PM
I told you Falcon fans! You said that Hall would stay with the Falcons for his career. Only got a 2nd rounder for him? Management must not be so good at dealing, especially with all the hype on this player.

You are a stupid man. It'd be better if you kept quiet.

d34ng3l021
03-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't see the Falcons targeting anyone to trade up for #1. Maybe to get back into the 1st... perhaps... If they don't like Ryan or Long, I wouldn't be shocked if they actually try to trade back to get even more picks.

I would love that the most, unless Jake Long is on the board. If anyone else, I would love to trade back with Dallas or other guys who covet McFadden or Dorsey or Ellis.

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 05:33 PM
I want DMac.....but Ellis and Dorsey might be better for us on the D to give our linebackers and secondary some help

JCutlery
03-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Did the Raiders really need to acquire Hall to match him up against Craig Daivs and Sammie Parker?

And Keary Colbert.

SimonRath
03-15-2008, 05:40 PM

yeah i'd keep quiet if i were you..

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2008, 05:41 PM
I want DMac.....but Sellis and Dorsey might be better for us on the D to give our linebackers and secondary some help

Yes the Raiders need a DT. No they don't need Ellis or Dorsey. Their skillsets don't work well to complement Kelly's who will be at the UT position. A guy like Pat Sims, Marcus Harrison, Ahtyba Rubin or Red Bryant, those are the kind of guys the Raiders need. Maybe Harrison, Rubin or Bryant could slip to the 4th for the Raiders to snatch one of them up... Maybe... Harrison is probably most likely with his character concerns..

Or perhaps the Raiders are hoping that Sands plays up to his contract. If they make no other moves, it will be evidence that they are banking on it.

d34ng3l021
03-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Yes the Raiders need a DT. No they don't need Ellis or Dorsey. Their skillsets don't work well to complement Kelly's who will be at the UT position. A guy like Pat Sims, Marcus Harrison, Ahtyba Rubin or Red Bryant, those are the kind of guys the Raiders need. Maybe Harrison, Rubin or Bryant could slip to the 4th for the Raiders to snatch one of them up... Maybe... Harrison is probably most likely with his character concerns..

Or perhaps the Raiders are hoping that Sands plays up to his contract. If they make no other moves, it will be evidence that they are banking on it.

I think Ellis would still work well as NT along side Kelly.

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 05:46 PM

do you know if Kelly will stay at UT? Or will he still be moving inside and out.....maybe we can shop washington around maybe get a 3rd or somethin....i like Letroy Guion a bit.

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2008, 05:52 PM
do you know if Kelly will stay at UT? Or will he still be moving inside and out.....maybe we can shop washington around maybe get a 3rd or somethin....i like Letroy Guion a bit.

My understanding is that Kelly will be Warren Sapp now. (or he is expected to be) He will be called upon to get at the QB from the DT spot and that will be his job. Moving him in and out would not be very beneficial except perhaps in goal line situations. One plus of this is, while his ability to get to the QB may or may not be as good as Sapp's the last 2 years, his ability in the run game should be an improvement over Sapp's last year.

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2008, 05:54 PM
I think Ellis would still work well as NT along side Kelly.

Honestly, that would be a little iffy in my opinion.

In my opinion, for Ellis to be effective next to Kelly, he would likely have to bulk up an extra 10-15 lbs which is questionable. To be honest, it would be a waste of his talents. It would be far better to wait and grab someone later who was built to do that already like Harrison, Bryant or Rubin.

Xonraider
03-15-2008, 05:55 PM
2 things.

1. If this move means Aso is gone after the year, I am really disappointed.

2. The Raiders NEVER have salary cap problems... whenever they are near Al Davis restructures contracts and does everything and gives us a decent or good salary cap, so that is something not to worry about, really.

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Yea keeping Kelly inside might be best. Hopefully Sands will step up...im not very confident in many DTs this year.

T-RICH49
03-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I wish he would have come to KC.especially for a 2nd

d34ng3l021
03-15-2008, 05:59 PM
2 things.

1. If this move means Aso is gone after the year, I am really disappointed.

2. The Raiders NEVER have salary cap problems... whenever they are near Al Davis restructures contracts and does everything and gives us a decent or good salary cap, so that is something not to worry about, really.

Its gonna be pretty hard to do with Hall, Nnamdi, Huff on his pick 7 contract, Russell on his top pick contract, Walker on his ridiculous contract. If he can get out of this, then props to him. If he finds a way to retain Nnamdi then damn.

Imagine if we got Nnamdi. That would be so cool.

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2008, 06:01 PM

No. It wouldn't.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Its gonna be pretty hard to do with Hall, Nnamdi, Huff on his pick 7 contract, Russell on his top pick contract, Walker on his ridiculous contract. If he can get out of this, then props to him. If he finds a way to retain Nnamdi then damn.

Walker makes more in the last two years of his contract than he makes in his first four. There's zero chance he makes it that deep into his contract. Gallery's contract was recently re-done. Kelly contract never pays him over 7 million a year.

The only unavoidably "big" contract Oakland has is Russell's right now, and that'll be joined soon by Hall's and whoever they draft in the first round this year. I have faith that Al wouldn't sacrifice his ability to re-sign Nnamdi.

scottyboy
03-15-2008, 06:04 PM

pretty sure all 31 teams in the NFL and their fans think the same way lol(excluding the raiders of course)

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Something to keep in mind is that Hall and Asomugha given longterm contract probably wouldn't hurt the cap as much as just Asomugha with the exclusive tag.

I'm sure one of the sticking points to Hall's contract is that the Raiders want to get Asomugha under contract as well. Keep in mind that signing Hall to big money makes Asomugha's tag number go up as well because Hall would likely be in the top 5 paid CBs.

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Walker makes more in the last two years of his contract than he makes in his first four. There's zero chance he makes it that deep into his contract. Gallery's contract was recently re-done. Kelly contract never pays him over 7 million a year.

The only unavoidably "big" contract Oakland has is Russell's right now, and that'll be joined soon by Hall's and whoever they draft in the first round this year. I have faith that Al wouldn't sacrifice his ability to re-sign Nnamdi.

I truly hope you're right on this one....

NIN1984
03-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Asomugha and Hall, wow.

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Our D will a bad ass with a piece or 2 more.....Kwame Harris' contract is fixed up also isnt it?

d34ng3l021
03-15-2008, 06:10 PM
On a completely different note, I think Hall would look sick in a Raiders jersey. What will he wear? 21 = Scrabble. 24 = Huff.

Addict
03-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Welcome to rock bottom.

Hall for a second is a steal right now... He's one hell of a corner... I'd be pretty happy having Hall with the lions... especially for a second.

Does this mean the end of Fabian Washinton in Oakland (they can't pay three corners of that quality... plus JaMarcus, the 4th this year, Tommy Kelly, Javon Walker... that's some hefty contracts. Is Gallery still getting his rookie deal salary?)

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 06:14 PM
he can have 31

nvot9
03-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Everyone's saying what happens with Aso, but why would anything happen? Didn't they franchise him and therefore have him locked up for at least one year? Are you guys talking about in the future what happens to him or what?

03-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Everyone's saying what happens with Aso, but why would anything happen? Didn't they franchise him and therefore have him locked up for at least one year? Are you guys talking about in the future what happens to him or what?

Yes, the future. I for one am concerned about one of our franchise players bolting after one more year. If Aso gets an extension then Al looks like a genius.

Xonraider
03-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Please Al, keep Asomugha... letting him go would be a humongous mistake.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Fabian Washington and Stanford Routt are still both in their rookie contract, but Washington's is heftier and has more guaranteed money in it. That would seem to indicate that if one gets dealt, it would be Routt. Routt supplanted Washington last year for the starting job opposite Scrabble, but Washington responded well and probably played better down the stretch than Routt.

For no other reason than profile, Oakland could probably get more for Washington, but I'm not sure how financially feasible it is. There's a chance Oakland hangs onto all of their corners for this year, especially if they enter the season without giving Asomugha a new contract.

Wootylicous
03-15-2008, 06:30 PM
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/03/15/dhall_0316.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

Hall denies trade to the Raiders.

iloxygenil
03-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Okay...Falcons fan here...

I know this move hurts, but honestly I don't understand how we got only a 2nd round pick out of him...but with 4 picks in the top 50...that's pretty impressive. The thing that I'm looking at in this deal is addition by subtraction, our cap # will be not sucked up by 1 big player, and I think that's more the direction this team is headed. Try to spread it out a bit and make the TEAM better. I think that Jimmy Williams will now be a cornerback again, and in the cover 2 scheme our DBs are better suited for it and our secondary may actually look better this year because of the scheme itself.

CB - Houston
CB - Williams
FS - Coleman
SS - Milloy / Stone
NCB - Irons / Von Hutchins

So we're short on depth, but the fit for the scheme seems even better than what we had with Hall. I don't know if we'll be using early round picks on CBs...or Safeties...and we still don't know what the scheme is going to be, but it looks more like a cover2 than what we have been running. If so there may be some movement in the linebacking corps as well.

I'm not unhappy, I think the team will be better, but I thought we'd be getting more than just a 2nd round pick.

iloxygenil
03-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Well...looks like I may have gotten excited too soon, but hopefully he'll be going for something more...Huff + 2nd rounder would make me happier =)

Yatta!
http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/03/15/dhall_0316.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

Ohhh here we go again. This is crazy, if the Raiders manage to get Asomugha locked up eventually then the trade is a great move for them.

d34ng3l021

Wttttttffffff plot twist!?

jetsfan0099
03-15-2008, 06:38 PM
How are the Raiders affording all of this??? They went out and gave big money to Gibril Wilson, they gave a huge contract to Javon Walker, they gave a HUGE deal to Tommy Kelly, now they trade for D-Hall who will demand a MAJOR deal. They took a QB last year 1st overall, he has a big contract. Now they are talking about Aso getting a Long term?? He is going to require a LARGE contract also. How are they paying all these players these contracts??? How are they going to afford a 4th overall selection?? They need to trade down now. This is crazy, I see a future cap hell team, maybe a team hoping too much on a non cap year??

03-15-2008, 06:39 PM

One more reason to wait til this thing is official.

Toneloc498
03-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey Al, trade Asomugha to the Giants for the 31st pick... K thanks

OregonDucks
03-15-2008, 06:50 PM
He a nut case, we dont want him in oakland. hes good and all but we need good character guys.

GB12
03-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Something to keep in mind is that Hall and Asomugha given longterm contract probably wouldn't hurt the cap as much as just Asomugha with the exclusive tag.

I'm sure one of the sticking points to Hall's contract is that the Raiders want to get Asomugha under contract as well. Keep in mind that signing Hall to big money makes Asomugha's tag number go up as well because Hall would likely be in the top 5 paid CBs.
It wouldn't affect the tag at all. Those numbers are set prior to the start of the offseason.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Hall denying the trade is interesting, especially after NFL Network said he had a meeting with Al, Kiffin, and Ryan. I'm going to assume that compensation still hasn't been worked out, and Oakland may end up giving up more than just this year's second rounder.

03-15-2008, 06:51 PM
He a nut case, we dont want him in oakland. hes good and all but we need good character guys.

What are you talking about? I want D-Hall you nuts? Especially for a second.

OregonDucks
03-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Well skill wise I want him as well, Im just hoping he doesnt act like a total nut case like he is...thats all. Other than that bring him in. I also watched the nfl network thing on him and he talked to all our staff, and now he is denying it? cmon.

adamprez2003
03-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Well the Raiders better draft Dorsey or Ellis now because noone is going to pass on them

Splat
03-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Did the Raiders really need to acquire Hall to match him up against Craig Daivs and Sammie Parker?

They fear Dwayne Bowe as they should.:)

Geo
03-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Schefter's full article (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d8073cb01&template=with-video&confirm=true)

Paranoidmoonduck
03-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Yet, the Raiders have been more aggressive than any team in football this offseason, doling out $144 million in guaranteed money to defensive tackle Tommy Kelly (http://www.nfl.com/players/tommykelly/profile?id=KEL742155), wide receiver Javon Walker (http://www.nfl.com/players/javonwalker/profile?id=WAL209632) and safety Gibril Wilson (http://www.nfl.com/players/gibrilwilson/profile?id=WIL709677).

Guh...Huh?

I count 50 million Adam.

LonghornsLegend
03-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Prime example of how fans will over rate a players stock, if you would of told a Falcons fan Hall would be traded for a 2nd rd pick they would of went crazy, but the contract signing was the big thing, a team had to agree to that also...Otherwise Dallas would of taken that offer with the 28th, but dont think we wanted to pay another corner that much, im fine passing him up.

BlindSite
03-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Draft picks are so over valued.

Here we've got a probowl calibre cornerback who is literally a top 15 in the NFL who's only worth a second rounder? A pick which isn't going to yield a player who an make Hall's sort of impact.

Splat
03-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Prime example of how fans will over rate a players stock.

Tell me about it if I had a dollar for every Chiefs fan that thought we could have got the moon for LJ last year I would be a rich man. The draft is so huge and draft picks are like your own kids you just don't want to give them up.

bearsfan_51
03-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Draft picks are so over valued.

Here we've got a probowl calibre cornerback who is literally a top 15 in the NFL who's only worth a second rounder? A pick which isn't going to yield a player who an make Hall's sort of impact.

Umm....it's not about the pick, it's about the money. If Hall had 5-6 years left on his contract he'd be worth a top 5 pick.

Go_Eagles77
03-15-2008, 08:02 PM
May be the best cornerback duo in the league but the eagles still have the best cornerback trio in the league. lol

d34ng3l021
03-15-2008, 08:07 PM
I dont know....

Nnamdi and Hall in man to man situations might be able to cover 3 guys better than Saumuels, Brown, and Sheppard.

Rjspartan
03-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Now if they get McFadden the Raiders won't be the worst team in the nfl anymore............

they will be the second worst.

Go_Eagles77
03-15-2008, 08:43 PM
I dont know....

Nnamdi and Hall in man to man situations might be able to cover 3 guys better than Saumuels, Brown, and Sheppard.

Eh whatever. I would argue but I'm sure I'd just be called a homer.

Eaglez.Fan
03-15-2008, 09:09 PM
I dont know....

Not even close. Samuel is a top three CB in the league (top 5 for sure). Lito played like a top 5 CB in the second half of last year. And Sheldon Brown could start on any other team in the league (maybe minus Oakland now, and GB).

GB12
03-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Samuels is most definitely not a top 3 or top 5 corner.

Bengals1690
03-15-2008, 09:10 PM
May be the best cornerback duo in the league but the eagles still have the best cornerback trio in the league. lol

Hall, Washington, Ashodksjalkfblarbalshlaf > Samuel, Sheppard, and Brown

LonghornsLegend
03-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Does anyone have anything that was reported that says Huff will be moving to FS and Wilson at SS, they really could have a beastly secondary, I hope they dont waste it by putting Huff at SS again...Talk about having elite guys back there, but with all the money they tossed around to walker and kelly Aso is probably walking after a year.

Eaglez.Fan
03-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Samuels is most definitely not a top 3 or top 5 corner.

In no order.

Champ
Hall
Nnamdi

Next guy I'd take is Samuel.

Go_Eagles77
03-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Hall, Washington, Ashodksjalkfblarbalshlaf > Samuel, Sheppard, and Brown

Aso > Samuel
Hall = Sheppard (When healthy)
Brown > Washington

That's a much better breakdown imo

d34ng3l021
03-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Aso > Samuel
Brown > Washington

Hall = Sheppard? Really? I am not too sure about that.

But this is a whole another debate.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Whoa. Who decided to inject this thread with Eagle homerism?

Scotty D
03-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Jesus the Eagle homers came out of the woodwork.

Eaglez.Fan
03-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Tell me, who would you rather have on your team at CB than Samuel. Honestly though, don't name people you wouldn't rather have, just to make a point.

Go_Eagles77
03-15-2008, 09:29 PM
What are you guys talking about? I never said the eagles were better, I said when Lito Sheppard is 100% healthy he has the ability to be as good as Deangelo Hall, and I said Asomugah is better than Samuel. That's hardly being a homer. I didn't want to start the argument for this exact reason.

03-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Lito Sheppard is so overrated by Eagles fans it's not even funny.

Go_Eagles77
03-15-2008, 09:44 PM
And Deangelo Hall isn't overated by everyone?

Eaglez.Fan
03-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, Hall is good but Lito is just as good when he's on his game. He was the only CB to single handedly shutdown Randy Moss, this year. The second half of last year he was just as dominant as Hall.

SimonRath
03-15-2008, 09:51 PM
If someone didnt read the title to this topic and just read the last page they woudl think D. Hall was traded for Lito Sheppard..

Go_Eagles77
03-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah you're right. This thread isn't about the eagles, we should get back on topic before it gets closed. Sorry about that.

d34ng3l021
03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Tell me, who would you rather have on your team at CB than Samuel. Honestly though, don't name people you wouldn't rather have, just to make a point.

Haha. I had a response to this, but I decided against posting it. This is another threads debate.

I wonder why this isnt finalized...They had numbers for the contract, but why would Hall completely deny it?

Maybe Raiders will offer more!

BaLLiN
03-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Damn, why can't the giants overpay him, our defense is very dependent on CB play and he's a good fit, im alittle upset.

gdamac
03-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Umm....it's not about the pick, it's about the money. If Hall had 5-6 years left on his contract he'd be worth a top 5 pick.

True, if the Raiders do this I hope they can trade down at least a few slots. But at lest Hall is proven and Young, the top 5 pick would only be young. Still Iwould rather the money go to Nnamdi, he is home grown.

iloxygenil
03-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Aso > Samuel
Brown > Washington

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hall is a top 5 CB no doubt...top 3 more than likely. Give me a break you're on something serious to believe that.

etk
03-15-2008, 10:26 PM
And I thought Asante Samuel was overrated before.....top 3 CB! OMG the Eagle homerism....

03-15-2008, 10:29 PM
I'll admit Sheppard is a very solid corner but to put him in the same category as Hall is a bit extreme. I've always thought of Hall as an elite corner and his play especially this season has done nothing but solidify that thought.

scottyboy
03-15-2008, 10:30 PM
The McCourty brothers are better and more productive CB's than Asante Samuel and DeAngelo Hall.

I'm sorry, i just thought we'd shift the homerism a bit, have a chuckle, and focus on the topic and the fact that Hall may be headed to Oakland forming the best Madden non-fantasy draft secondary of all time

Chucky
03-15-2008, 10:31 PM
The McCourty brothers are better and more productive CB's than Asante Samuel and DeAngelo Hall.

I'm sorry, i just thought we'd shift the homerism a bit, have a chuckle, and focus on the topic and the fact that Hall may be headed to Oakland forming the best Madden non-fantasy draft secondary of all time

Dre Bly and Champ at the beginning of the year were pretty ridiculous, especially with Lynch being a fumble forcing machine

etk
03-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Dre Bly and Champ at the beginning of the year were pretty ridiculous, especially with Lynch being a fumble forcing machine

Also ridiculously old.....and Denver's safeties are no good in Madden because they're slow.

Oakland next year will destroy them.

Chucky
03-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Also ridiculously old.....and Denver's safeties are no good in Madden because they're slow.

I dont really need my safeties to be that fast, I like to use Lynch in run support, and I can usually force about 2 fumbles a game with him. And Champ was unreal in the this years madden, and bly was ridiculously overrated, making him one of the best. But ya there is a chance that oaklands will be better, but it depends on the rankings gibril and huff get

d34ng3l021
03-15-2008, 10:40 PM
You are right. I can just pick up a team, and dominate with Huff without worrying about Hall and Nnamdi getting burnt on stupid plays.

etk
03-15-2008, 10:42 PM
I dont really need my safeties to be that fast, I like to use Lynch in run support, and I can usually force about 2 fumbles a game with him. And Champ was unreal in the this years madden, and bly was ridiculously overrated, making him one of the best. But ya there is a chance that oaklands will be better, but it depends on the rankings gibril and huff get

In today's Madden I'd probably agree.....I always bring my safeties up to the line. I'm used to the old-gen Madden though where speed kills. Oakland's will be a lot better for Franchise mode, which is part of what I'm getting at.

BaLLiN
03-15-2008, 10:44 PM
would Oakland consider trading Aso now?

regoob2
03-15-2008, 10:46 PM

Move Nmandi to FS, Huff to SS. Thats gonna be a great secondary. I might do a franchise with that.

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 10:47 PM
would Oakland consider trading Aso now?

sure, we'll even throw in Burgess as a bonus.....No no way Aso leaves Oakland without the Raiders making attempts to sign him long term

SaintsFanForLife
03-15-2008, 11:00 PM
As of right now, we’re still at the same stages that I was at with every other team,” Hall said, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “New York, Washington, Dallas, and Jacksonville. Nothing has been OK’d on my end.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/03/15/dhall_0316.html

OzTitan
03-15-2008, 11:01 PM
And the Raiders still have a 4th overall rookie contract to take in. Al must be anticipating no salary cap or something (but I don't see that happening).

BaLLiN
03-15-2008, 11:10 PM
As of right now, we’re still at the same stages that I was at with every other team,” Hall said, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “New York, Washington, Dallas, and Jacksonville. Nothing has been OK’d on my end.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/03/15/dhall_0316.html

he also said he wouldnt be part of a losing team next year, so maybe this Oakland trade is wrong, or maybe im just fantasizing it so the giants can sign him..

Number 10
03-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Didn't Atlanta fans say he would only be traded for a top 15 pick?

Hmmmm Wrong agaaaain.

BamaFalcon59
03-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Okay...Falcons fan here...

I know this move hurts, but honestly I don't understand how we got only a 2nd round pick out of him...but with 4 picks in the top 50...that's pretty impressive. The thing that I'm looking at in this deal is addition by subtraction, our cap # will be not sucked up by 1 big player, and I think that's more the direction this team is headed. Try to spread it out a bit and make the TEAM better. I think that Jimmy Williams will now be a cornerback again, and in the cover 2 scheme our DBs are better suited for it and our secondary may actually look better this year because of the scheme itself.

CB - Houston
CB - Williams
FS - Coleman
SS - Milloy / Stone
NCB - Irons / Von Hutchins

So we're short on depth, but the fit for the scheme seems even better than what we had with Hall. I don't know if we'll be using early round picks on CBs...or Safeties...and we still don't know what the scheme is going to be, but it looks more like a cover2 than what we have been running. If so there may be some movement in the linebacking corps as well.

I'm not unhappy, I think the team will be better, but I thought we'd be getting more than just a 2nd round pick.

You have to be one of the most optimistic people on this message board. This trade was pure stupidity and it screams Falcons. This is why we are the Atlanta Falcons, things like this.

BamaFalcon59
03-15-2008, 11:36 PM
Seriously I might be done with this team. I rarely agree with any move we make and it seems like we want or crave to be mediocre or more often than not bottum feeders. I defend this team constantly but it gets to a point where you can not handle it anymore.

etk
03-15-2008, 11:36 PM
You have to be one of the most optimistic people on this message board. This trade was pure stupidity and it screams Falcons. This is why we are the Atlanta Falcons, things like this.

I'm not a Falcons fan, but I agree with iloxygenil's thinking on this. There are a LOT of positives you can take from the move, and I don't you will ever look back and regret this trade.

Calm down and stop overreacting.

BamaFalcon59
03-15-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm not a Falcons fan, but I agree with iloxygenil's thinking on this. There are a LOT of positives you can take from the move, and I don't you will ever look back and regret this trade.

There is no way you can be happy trading a 24-year old two time probowler at cornerback coming off of his best year as a pro for a second round pick. The number eight overall pick in the NFL four years ago has only exceeded expectations and he was traded for a second round pick.

There is a reason NFC South fans are happy, and Oakland Fans are happy. It is because DeAngelo Hall is out of the division and he was had for a bag of **** and a pat on the back.

etk
03-15-2008, 11:44 PM
There's nothing that would frustrate/worry me more than the Falcons switching to a Cover 2 with the current DBs they have plus draft picks. I'm not jumping with joy that Hall is out of the division and conference....I LOVE our chances against the Falcons defense under last year's system. Joey can burn DeAngelo. Your defensive backfield will improve this year under that system and you won't regret the move. Just mark my words.

Getting a 2nd rounder for Hall is TERRIBLE though....

d34ng3l021
03-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Then be gone. Hall, as talented as he was a player, had baggage. Do you really want a guy with baggage like that while you are rebuilding a team? Right after your star QB was sent to jail? You need to start clean with good character guys.

I wouldve expected a higher pick, but this was expected. Look at the bright side.

4 picks in the top50. Hopefully if all goes well, the NFC South will not only fear Hall, but our whole team.

bearsfan_51
03-15-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm tired of teams caving for players. Stand up and tell the player that if he isn't happy he can not show up and not get paid. The Bears did this with Lance Briggs and after he was done moaning and crying, he showed up for camp on time and ended up signing a very reasonable extension.

It just shows no guts on the part of the NFL front offices. In this case they may have just wanted to get rid of him anyway, but it sets a bad precedent that you can whine your way out of something you dont' like.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-15-2008, 11:54 PM
is this official yet?

that CB combo will be deadly, especially in a division with the Chargers, Chiefs, and Broncos, non of which have WR combos to be mentioned in the tops of the league.

Raiderz4Life
03-15-2008, 11:55 PM
I just saw this on Aol.com thought i'd share
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/15/raiders-will-have-the-honor-of-watching-deangelo-hall-get-burned/

Good Lord, are the Raiders getting fleeced on this one. I'm fine with giving up the second-rounder, but who the hell pays one of the NFL's most overrated cornerbacks "Asante Samuel" money? I mean, that sounds like something a team that won just 19 games since its 2002 Super Bowl shellacking might do.

PACKmanN
03-16-2008, 12:51 AM

Hmmmm Wrong agaaaain.

They weren't given much leverage by Hall.

thule
03-16-2008, 12:56 AM
I've read two reports that this deal didn't happen...and nothing has confirmed it yet...

CC.SD
03-16-2008, 12:59 AM
HAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that seriously blows for deangelo. "i will only play for winners!" sorry son, not if you piss oft the franchise then you get traded to the deepest pit in the league.

no more drunk posting. i seriously hope this happens, raiders are years away from ompeting another huge contract just makes the rebuilding process longer long live al davis

Kurve
03-16-2008, 01:47 AM
If this trade does go through it would be insane backfield but besides that this could mean that Raiders wont stay at the 4th overall pick. Now if Mcfadden was there at 4 overall there could be a team willing to give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd to get up and take Dmac. Or mayb even a team with 2 1st rounders this year like the cowboys which many say Jones likes Dmac a lot. With that thought would Dallas first 2 1st rounders, and there second be logical to get up to the 4th overall pick?

BamaFalcon59
03-16-2008, 03:44 AM
Then be gone. Hall, as talented as he was a player, had baggage. Do you really want a guy with baggage like that while you are rebuilding a team? Right after your star QB was sent to jail? You need to start clean with good character guys.

I wouldve expected a higher pick, but this was expected. Look at the bright side.

4 picks in the top50. Hopefully if all goes well, the NFC South will not only fear Hall, but our whole team.

The Falcons have Falcon fans I reckon. Average expectations for a below average team.

d34ng3l021
03-16-2008, 05:51 AM
The Falcons have Falcon fans I reckon. Average expectations for a below average team.

I am confused.

Addict
03-16-2008, 06:33 AM
They simply can't afford all these major players... in a salary-capped league, this just doesn't fly... If this trade goes through the rebuilding's just gonna take longer.

The Unseen
03-16-2008, 06:34 AM
They simply can't afford all these major players... in a salary-capped league, this just doesn't fly... If this trade goes through the rebuilding's just gonna take longer.

Al Davis might be banking on the salary cap not being around after 2009.

OzTitan
03-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Al Davis might be banking on the salary cap not being around after 2009.

Would be a silly assumption. There may not be an NFL around after the 10-11 season due to strikes but no cap would assume that the majority of owners agreed to no cap on any new CBA, which I can't see happening.

It might increase significantly again though.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-16-2008, 07:26 AM

Hmmmm Wrong agaaaain.

Ok, I don't recall people saying that. I remember people saying they'd only be happy if it was a top 15 pick. Or the only fair deal would be a top 15 pick.

falconsrule
03-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Good luck Oakland....Meangelo will be another Randy Moss just on the defense.

JPLUFF
03-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Would be a silly assumption. There may not be an NFL around after the 10-11 season due to strikes but no cap would assume that the majority of owners agreed to no cap on any new CBA, which I can't see happening.

It might increase significantly again though.

From what I read, 1/4th of owners need to vote against the New CBA in order for there to be no cap.

OzTitan
03-16-2008, 08:43 AM
From what I read, 1/4th of owners need to vote against the New CBA in order for there to be no cap.

I could be mistaken, but I think what you're refering to is the amount of owners needed to opt out of the current CBA. This would go a long way to creating a capless year, but not necessarily no salary cap for good. Forming a new CBA is an entirely different matter (and will obviously be necessary if there is an opt-out). I'd have a hard time believing drafting CBA conditions can be done without majority support.

The NFLPA said in 06 they would never agree to a salary cap again if there was no CBA extension by the 07 season. They said if 07-08 was a capless year they'd never agree to go back to a cap. It was a threat to get the CBA extended (and it may have worked, or helped get it extended). If most owners didn't want a cap, there would obviously be no need to use it as a threat.

They may use the same threat for the upcoming required extension, but ultimately I doubt it sticks. The cap is good for all involved (remember, no salary cap = no salary floor either) and its not quite as simple as saying no cap = higher paid players. Also, you've got to think if the owners do cave on the cap, the PA would have to cave on something pretty big too. Doesn't seem worth it really. If it comes down to the NFLPA and a few owners demanding no cap, the standoff could be unprecedented and I can't see how the former side wins media and public opinion when the league has flourished with the cap, not to mention the collective fanbases and media of teams/owners siding with the salary cap would likely out number those supporting its removal. The NFLPA would look like the bad guys ("Headline: NFLPA Wants To Kill Competition In The NFL") and would have to come around eventually. When it comes down to it, I don't really know if most owners are truly threatened by a strike honestly. Not as much as players anyway, and if the CBA can't be extended because of a standoff on the salary cap issue, I suspect players will start getting anxious and may start to question its validity when the league was fine with a cap before.

I'd say if Al is anticipating anything, it's probably another large salary cap spike. That's what the NFLPA would probably really want anyway - again, higher salary cap = higher floor = more money to players all round and not just the upper talent tier. They represent ALL players after all. Or maybe Al is anticipating a capless year where he can unload any player contracts freely should any of these signings not work out (presuming I understand the capless year correctly - i.e., no cap penalties for releases/trades).

BaLLiN
03-16-2008, 08:46 AM
If there is more cap or no cap, it will ruin the nfl's competiton. I like not knowing who will win going into a game, but the salary cap will allow teams to stack up without penalty and with getting the big name guys, they'll get more fan money and it will be more one sided. Lets not make this change, keep it competitive.

Number 10
03-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Ok, I don't recall people saying that. I remember people saying they'd only be happy if it was a top 15 pick. Or the only fair deal would be a top 15 pick.

ha-

Falcons would NEVER take Matt Ryan. They want McFadden to be the new face of the franchise because the majority of the fan base is Afrian American. Hall WANTS to be in Atlanta, and the Falcons won't take anything more than a top 15 pick for him.

2 arguments I have gotten into with Atlanta fans, scar in particular, that I was ridiculed for but not it appears as if I was right about the Falcons, again.

Eaglez.Fan
03-16-2008, 08:53 AM
And I thought Asante Samuel was overrated before.....top 3 CB! OMG the Eagle homerism....

If your asking me to pick a CB for my team, he'd be my 4th one I'd take. Behind Hall, Champ, and Nnamdi. And thats before he got traded to Philly.

I'll admit Sheppard is a very solid corner but to put him in the same category as Hall is a bit extreme. I've always thought of Hall as an elite corner and his play especially this season has done nothing but solidify that thought.

I honestly think that Hall is a better CB than Lito but when they are both playing their game it is ALOT closer than people think. When Lito is healthy he is no doubt in the same category as Hall. But I see where your coming from because he is not always playing like the shutdown corner that he is.

BamaFalcon59
03-16-2008, 10:37 AM
ha-

Falcons would NEVER take Matt Ryan. They want McFadden to be the new face of the franchise because the majority of the fan base is Afrian American. Hall WANTS to be in Atlanta, and the Falcons won't take anything more than a top 15 pick for him.

2 arguments I have gotten into with Atlanta fans, scar in particular, that I was ridiculed for but not it appears as if I was right about the Falcons, again.

The Falcons recently signed Michael Turner to a six year, thirty five million dollar deal, and they have Jerious Norwood. They are not drafting Darren McFadden.

Thunder&Lightning
03-16-2008, 10:49 AM
great trade for the raiders would like to see what there cap is going to be like in the next couple of years though...

scottyboy
03-16-2008, 10:50 AM
people are acting like it's the falcons choosing to send hall for just a 2nd. They've been offered 1sts, but those teams haven't agreed on contracts with Hall. the Giants feel he's asking WAY too much and needs to lower his demands. The raiders are/were willing to pay him, hence the trade there.(if it is true...)

bearsfan_51
03-16-2008, 10:52 AM
ha-

It's not exactly fair to lump Scar in as "all Falcons fans". There are jagoffs from every fan base.

Addict
03-16-2008, 11:24 AM
It's not exactly fair to lump Scar in as "all Falcons fans". There are jagoffs from every fan base.

Don't talk to him man, he's a fan of the same team as GRF..

Number 10
03-16-2008, 11:26 AM
The Falcons recently signed Michael Turner to a six year, thirty five million dollar deal, and they have Jerious Norwood. They are not drafting Darren McFadden.

That's my point kid-

I said from the start McFadden wouldn't be the pick for Atlanta and I have said from the start Hall would be traded and it would not be for anything close to a top 15 pick.

Yet I was ridiculed on both accounts by Falcons fans with the typical..."You don't knowm our team" crap.

scottyboy
03-16-2008, 11:27 AM
That's my point kid-

I said from the start McFadden wouldn't be the pick for Atlanta and I have said from the start Hall would be traded and it would not be for anything close to a top 15 pick.

Yet I was ridiculed on both accounts by Falcons fans with the typical..."You don't knowm our team" crap.

wasn't there a falcon fan(granted, it's only one, but still...) who wanted the Giants whole 1st day AND Justin Tuck?

Number 10
03-16-2008, 11:35 AM
wasn't there a falcon fan(granted, it's only one, but still...) who wanted the Giants whole 1st day AND Justin Tuck?

Yup, he said the G-Men would have to fork over a 1st, 2nd, and Justin Tuck for a CB that just got traded for a 2nd rounder

Flyboy
03-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Yup, he said the G-Men would have to fork over a 1st, 2nd, and Justin Tuck for a CB that just got traded for a 2nd rounder

LOL, I remember that.

Forenci
03-16-2008, 11:40 AM

LOL - yeah, I do recall that quite clearly.

Our entire first day of picks and Justin Tuck just to 'sniff' Hall.

What a joke. There was certainly no way that was going to happen.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-16-2008, 11:42 AM
wow. the raiders...like to uhhh spend some $ huh?

Word around all the Giants' blogs and beat writers were Falcons had a deal with us, but Hall wanted too much $ for our tastes.

I posted this on BBI. I saw a link on the Falcons board someone posted.

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=281728

Komp
03-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Wow...spend a couple of days away from the computer and look what happens. Like it's been stated before I don't mind this trade as long as it does not affect our ability to sign Nnamdi. However, maybe Al knows Nnamdi has already made his mind up and wants out of town and wants to find his replacement. Hall isn't currently the shutdown CB that Aso is, but he has the ability to get back to that level.

I'm excited to see what Hall can do in Oakland jersey if this goes through, but he is still a bit of a punk and has some work to do to win me over.

BamaFalcon59
03-16-2008, 01:26 PM
That's my point kid-

Eh, I said McFadden for a few days after the season ended, but then changed to Matt Ryan and Jake Long, and then Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey came in to play.

BamaFalcon59
03-16-2008, 01:27 PM

Yeah, don't group all of us together. I wanted a pick like in the 20s, from Washington or Dallas' first first round pick.

BamaFalcon59
03-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Wow...spend a couple of days away from the computer and look what happens. Like it's been stated before I don't mind this trade as long as it does not affect our ability to sign Nnamdi. However, maybe Al knows Nnamdi has already made his mind up and wants out of town and wants to find his replacement. Hall isn't currently the shutdown CB that Aso is, but he has the ability to get back to that level.

I'm excited to see what Hall can do in Oakland jersey if this goes through, but he is still a bit of a punk and has some work to do to win me over.

DeAngelo Hall was a shutdown CB last year. He dominated all but two to three wide receivers.

ramsfan2005813
03-16-2008, 01:30 PM
raiders are going to have a great secondary with washington, asomugha, and hall at CB, then Huff at S

LonghornsLegend
03-16-2008, 01:36 PM

He needs to come forth and man up to that so I can laugh and ridicule again :) It was funny the first time I heard it but being that he was traded for a 2nd makes it even funnier in hindsight.

Stash
03-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Wow, I definitely thought Hall would command more than a 2nd rounder. I like the deal because thats all we had to give up but my attitude will change completely if this deal results in Aso walking next year.

gpngc
03-16-2008, 01:59 PM
What are the numbers on the contract?

Number 10
03-16-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm in the minority here I know....

But I think this opens up the Raiders shopping Asomugha for a 1st rounder this year.

That would mean the Raiders replacing Aso with Hall, and they're close enough for it not to be a major issue, while upgrading their #34 pick into the late 1st. I'm sure the Giants will now be looking to see what Aso can be had for.

thefalconer
03-16-2008, 02:21 PM
He needs to come forth and man up to that so I can laugh and ridicule again :) It was funny the first time I heard it but being that he was traded for a 2nd makes it even funnier in hindsight.

cough, oxy, cough.

bam bam
03-16-2008, 02:26 PM
DeAngelo Hall was a shutdown CB last year. He dominated all but two to three wide receivers.

then he wasn't a shutdown corner

BamaFalcon59
03-16-2008, 02:29 PM

Yes, he was. Even in 2006 when Champ was dominant he was beat a few times.

Hall dominated all receivers except Joey Galloway, Amani Toomer, and Anthony Gonzalez. Shutting down receivers in thirteen games, and never getting dominated, means you were shutdown.

DawgBone
03-16-2008, 02:34 PM
raiders are going to have a great secondary with washington, asomugha, and hall at CB, then Huff at S

John Clayton reported that if Hall goes to Oakland, the Raiders will trade Washington to the Browns......

What are your opinions of Washington?

BamaFalcon59
03-16-2008, 02:41 PM
What would the Browns trade for Washington?

And why can't we just take out the sixth round pick and give them a sixth round pick and we get Fabian Washington? Then I would be happy. But that is what you get when your GM gets carded going to rated R movies.

skinzzfan25
03-16-2008, 02:44 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/15/hall-denies-that-trade-is-close/

Hall denies being in Oakland on Friday.

scottyboy
03-16-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm in the minority here I know....

But I think this opens up the Raiders shopping Asomugha for a 1st rounder this year.

That would mean the Raiders replacing Aso with Hall, and they're close enough for it not to be a major issue, while upgrading their #34 pick into the late 1st. I'm sure the Giants will now be looking to see what Aso can be had for.

before they were tagged, Reese and the Giants had open interest in Aso and Trufant. Afterwards in an interview, Reese was asked about them and the Giants plans, and Reese replied saying something like- just because their tagged doesn't mean they're unavailible or off the market. We'll see...

Komp
03-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Read the article.....it said he neither confirmed nor denied being in Oakland. Who knows....I'm 50/50 on this deal going though.

03-16-2008, 02:57 PM

Yes, you're right Aso was the shutdown corner last year. :)

ATLDirtyBirds
03-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Yes, he was. Even in 2006 when Champ was dominant he was beat a few times.

Hall dominated all receivers except Joey Galloway, Amani Toomer, and Anthony Gonzalez. Shutting down receivers in thirteen games, and never getting dominated, means you were shutdown.

He didn't have any bad games either. Galloway didn't do much of anything else that game. In the Giants game he got a pick and made some big tackles for us in the running game, and in the Colts game he shut down the field for about 1/2 the game.

Komp
03-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Out of curiousity how many TD's did Nnamdi give up this year? The only time he got beat for a long TD that I can remember was that fluke broken play TD to Bowe.

BamaFalcon59
03-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Out of curiousity how many TD's did Nnamdi give up this year? The only time he got beat for a long TD that I can remember was that fluke broken play TD to Bowe.

DeAngelo Hall was beaten once for a TD, by Joey Galloway.

BaLLiN
03-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Aso- 27 years old
Hall- 24 years old

I think I'd take Hall in a second if it weren't for his mouth, He is 3 years younger, is a pro bowler easily in my eyes, has alot of potential coming into a team where he doesn't have the pressure on his back.

umphrey
03-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Oakland can keep adding all the big name athletic guys they want and I still won't be scared of them. They aren't gonna be at the top until they build up the interior and establish a team atmosphere. Right now players just seem to go there to get a fat contract and be as lazy as possible.

Addict
03-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Oakland can keep adding all the big name athletic guys they want and I still won't be scared of them. They aren't gonna be at the top until they build up the interior and establish a team atmosphere. Right now players just seem to go there to get a fat contract and be as lazy as possible.

I agree, they just add so many athletic guys but they just can't win in the trenches. That said, with the players they have now they do look better than my lions... Both have no lines, but Oakland's got the better players elsewhere.

Raiderz4Life
03-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Dont worry....the reinforcements will arrive soon ;) ....i hope

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-16-2008, 04:08 PM
that actually wasnt a TD.Nnamdi caught Bowe from behind.so he didnt give up any.

Ness
03-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Aso- 27 years old
Hall- 24 years old

I think I'd take Hall in a second if it weren't for his mouth, He is 3 years younger, is a pro bowler easily in my eyes, has alot of potential coming into a team where he doesn't have the pressure on his back.

But he's not as good as Asomugha. Hall gets toasted way too often. He's lucky he's blessed with this athleticism to save him.

Number 10
03-16-2008, 04:23 PM
I'd take Aso over Hall...but thats not a knock on Hall. Aso is a top 5 CB if you talk to any scout, coach, or GM across the league. Hall's name will be on a few lists...but I still consider him to be a nothch below that top tier.

Flyboy
03-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I'd take Aso over Hall...but thats not a knock on Hall. Aso is a top 5 CB if you talk to any scout, coach, or GM across the league. Hall's name will be on a few lists...but I still consider him to be a nothch below that top tier.

I disagree with that. Hall's play last season was nothing short of incredible - and the season before wasn't that bad either. I think he's easily in the top tier of CBs in the league.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-16-2008, 04:52 PM
If you asked me who the top three man coverage corners were last year, I'd say Nnamdi Asomugha, DeAngelo Hall, and Charles Woodson. Overall, Hall's probably right on the edge of the top 5, mostly because his inconsistency and questionable attitude have to be taken into account. Whether that's top tier or not is up to how big one thinks that group is. It could really be as small as two (Champ Bailey and Nnamdi Asomugha).

At the very least, Hall was a top five corner last year, and despite concerns about some of his on the field behavior, I'm inclined to think that it helps him play his position as well as he does. Although Oakland is taking a risk in bringing him in instead of using that draft pick on a cheaper and more needed player, and it is just like Al to re-do what he did when he put Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes in the same defensive backfield.

Gay Ork Wang
03-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Hall faced better WRs...

etk
03-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Hall faced better WRs...

You can't fault a corner for getting burned alive by Joey Galloway on a slant-and-go.....

SaintsMan
03-16-2008, 05:16 PM
So, Devery Henderson's whipping boy got traded? Damn.

BamaFalcon59
03-16-2008, 05:21 PM
But he's not as good as Asomugha. Hall gets toasted way too often. He's lucky he's blessed with this athleticism to save him.

When did DeAngelo Hall get burnt this year. Once by Joey Galloway off the top of my head.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-16-2008, 05:40 PM
You can't fault a corner for getting burned alive by Joey Galloway on a slant-and-go.....

Galloway had one play against Hall.

3 catches for 70 yards and 1 TD in 2 games.

LonghornsLegend
03-16-2008, 05:45 PM

Id be willing to bet that in 3 years Hall will be better then Aso is right now...He isnt even playing his best ball yet he's just held to high standards, he's already a great man corner but in about 4 years he will be on the level of elite everyone wants to put him at right now.

etk
03-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Galloway had one play against Hall.

3 catches for 70 yards and 1 TD in 2 games.

Did you even read my post?

BaLLiN
03-16-2008, 06:00 PM

he's also 3 years younger and has 3 more years to improve, how many TD's did he let up all season?

teneight
03-16-2008, 06:18 PM
btw, Raiders have the money.

im sure we are gonna work out a deal with Aso (his $10mil is counting towards this years cap)..once we work one out, we save money $$. we are most likely gonna cut Jordan, which will free up another $4-$5.5million...plus a few others come june

we can give hall + aso long tearm contracts and keep both.

raiders have always been good when it comes to the CAP. you cant deny, al davis has added good players to the team that any time will probably want, but al just wanted them more ($$$)

Addict
03-16-2008, 06:34 PM

It's NFLDC, nobody reads.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-16-2008, 06:41 PM

Yes. I was just pointing out, he had one moment of glory vs DeAngelo. It isn't like he consistently owns him.

Young Legend
03-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Once the Hall deal is done then Fabian will get traded to the Browns.

Addict
03-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Once the Hall deal is done then Fabian will get traded to the Browns.

Wouldn't be surprised if that happened. Although Routt is probably the first to go.

Young Legend
03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if that happened. Although Routt is probably the first to go.

They will keep Routt..They need someone to cover the slot WR.

Fabian is as good as gone..they been wanting to get rid of him sense the NFL trade deadline.

kmartin575
03-16-2008, 08:27 PM
btw, Raiders have the money.

im sure we are gonna work out a deal with Aso (his $10mil is counting towards this years cap)..once we work one out, we save money $$. we are most likely gonna cut Jordan, which will free up another $4-$5.5million...plus a few others come june

we can give hall + aso long tearm contracts and keep both.

raiders have always been good when it comes to the CAP. you cant deny, al davis has added good players to the team that any time will probably want, but al just wanted them more ($$$)

Unless he has signed his franchise tender, which I'm pretty sure he hasn't, his salary is not even counting against the cap yet. The last list I saw of cap room for each team was as of March 10th (I think) and it had the Raiders around $6 million in cap room. How much room do you think you are going to have once you sign Hall and once Asomugha signs his tender? Not very much at all.

Also, you guys also need the money to sign the #4 pick in the draft.

Komp
03-16-2008, 08:33 PM
I concur....Fabian has a higher market value and Routt is ok as a 3rd DB for a lot less money.... Fabian played fairly well before this year [injuries] and if we don't end up getting Hall I'm comfortable with him starting opposite Nnamdi.

03-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Washington/Routt got picked apart last season so I know I wouldn't be comfortable having either opposite Nnamdi unless you're banking on Washington returning to his '06 form.

bigbluedefense
03-16-2008, 09:47 PM
If Im Nmandi, id be pissed right now. You won't extend him, then you throw money at Hall?

I think they lose him now in FA. I love Hall's talent, but i rather have Aso if push came to shove.

Either way, thats easily the most talented secondary in the league for at least next year. With that secondary, id send 7 at the qb early and often.

Imagine if they land Chris Long to go along with that secondary? =0

Theyre a run clogging DT and perhaps a DE away from having a dominant 46 style defense that Ryan wants to run.

03-16-2008, 09:49 PM
There were reports earlier the team would extend Aso and sign Hall. Don't know if it's still gonna happen.