PDA

View Full Version : What would you give up for CJ?

VikesRule
02-25-2007, 06:41 PM
What would you give up to get Calvin Johnson, assuming we'd have to move up a few spots to grab him?

Doncarlito
02-25-2007, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't trade up for him, id keep the picks and hope he falls due to more pressing needs of teams

Vikes99ej
02-25-2007, 07:02 PM
My virginity.

Doncarlito
02-25-2007, 07:07 PM
My virginity.

thats the way... take one for the team lol

Beans
02-25-2007, 07:08 PM
http://www.adjab.com/media/2006/06/klondikebar.gif

JayP
02-25-2007, 07:19 PM

lol thats great

IMO I would give up a first, second, and third, but either the 2nd or the 3rd rounder would have to be from 2008

that way we can still nab a first day offensive lineman and grab some depth players (WR/DE/FS/TE) on the 2nd day, its so perfect, it probably wont happen, lol

Vikes99ej
02-25-2007, 07:22 PM
I would probably give our first, our second, and maybe a worthless player.

Doncarlito
02-25-2007, 07:29 PM
worthless player like smoot, lol no one would want him. Maybe we could throw sharper into a trade hes much better than smoot

princefielder28
02-25-2007, 07:30 PM

Wow, I would do that for a Klondike Bar!!!

yo123
02-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Calvin Johnson is a once in a decade type of receiver and i think we should do all we can do to try to get him. i'd go with our first second and another late round pick or maybe a future 3rd or fourth. I hope we make some kind of move because I'm not huge on Jarrett, just reminds me too much of Mike Williams.

The Dynasty
02-25-2007, 09:59 PM
I would probably give our first, our second, and maybe a worthless player.

Yeah i agree with that one. Smoot i would say because Cleveland needs help at Cornerback if he falls to 3.

DHVF
02-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I agree with both of ya'll. I don't think I'd give up my whole first day though...

Tobzilla
02-25-2007, 11:40 PM
anything it takes...he is a sure thing

kevin148
02-25-2007, 11:55 PM
I'd rather trade down than trade up.
Let's see...1 WR or 3 starters.
easy call here.

JT Jag
02-26-2007, 12:00 AM
A first, a second, and one of those neat coupon books.

DHVF
02-26-2007, 12:00 AM
I'd rather trade down than trade up.
Let's see...1 WR or 3 starters.
easy call here.

With the way we've drafted over the past years, what makes you think that we'd be able to get three starters out of the picks?

jerthemessiah
02-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Chester Taylor and the 1st

kevin148
02-26-2007, 01:24 AM
With the way we've drafted over the past years, what makes you think that we'd be able to get three starters out of the picks?
If Tice were still here...I would agree...but we got Griffin / Edwards and Blue last year all 3 played and played well. Greenway has a chance to make last years draft classes one of the best of the last decade.
Especially if Jackson and Cook live up to thier draft pick (I wouldn't hold my breath..but hey)
...Your post actually agrees more with me...I mean wouldn't we have more chances of hitting a good player with more picks ? What are the chances we go 1 for 1 anyways ... a billion to 1 ?

swagger
02-26-2007, 04:17 AM
I'd give up a single additional pick, i.e. a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Definitely not more because we have tons of holes and need as many draft picks as possible.

But CJ is a freak. I cannot believe he is 6'5 229 pounds and can run a 4.35 forty and jump a 45-inch vertical in somebody elses shoes. He and Randy Moss might be the best athletes at WR in draft histoy. Might as well make it 2 for 2.

The Dynasty
02-26-2007, 10:43 AM
1st, 2nd and next years 2nd. Could work.

Vikes99ej
02-26-2007, 10:51 AM
We should definitely go after defensive players in FA, so we can go after Calvin. You can still get starters in the second day. It's not like we would be trading our first whole day either. Like I said, I wouldn't trade for C.J. if we had to give up three of our first day picks from this year's draft.

The Dynasty
02-26-2007, 10:52 AM
We should definitely go after defensive players in FA, so we can go after Calvin. You can still get starters in the second day. It's not like we would be trading our first whole day either. Like I said, I wouldn't trade for C.J. if we had to give up three of our first day picks from this year's draft.

True I would like the vikings to go after Kerney if his Price Tag isnt to high then try and get Calvin. We get a proven DE and the top prospect of the draft.

crazyisme
02-26-2007, 11:35 AM
very good points guys, we do have some holes to fill but majority of them, if anything are depth and youth reasons which we can easily address second day

TE and DE are easily obtainable in FA (Graham will be cheap and like dynasty said if Kerneys price isnt too high, we can grab him)

trade a first, second, and 3rd (one from next season) grab oline with the other first day pick and go BPA the rest of the way...

i like how you guys think, hahaha...we can only dream though :)

Ewing
02-26-2007, 11:36 AM
This year's 1st and 3rd and next year's 1st.

bearsfan_51
02-26-2007, 11:37 AM
anything it takes...he is a sure thing

It just depends on the team. For some teams I'd give up the whole draft as I think getting one elite player like him is better than a bunch of mediocres. While there are never for sure bets (Ricky Williams) I just have a very hard time seeing Johnson not at least being a pro-bowl type player.

For the Vikings, however, there are just too many holes and too many bad drafts in the past where they can gamble it all on one player.

They need to start building their infrastructure, particularly in terms of youth, because right now it's pretty weak.

Vikes99ej
02-26-2007, 11:56 AM
It just depends on the team. For some teams I'd give up the whole draft as I think getting one elite player like him is better than a bunch of mediocres. While there are never for sure bets (Ricky Williams) I just have a very hard time seeing Johnson not at least being a pro-bowl type player.

For the Vikings, however, there are just too many holes and too many bad drafts in the past where they can gamble it all on one player.

They need to start building their infrastructure, particularly in terms of youth, because right now it's pretty weak.

I disagree with us having a lot of holes. We probably have 3 major needs:

- reliable reciever
- consistent QB
- productive pass-rusher

We can address two through FA, and get the WR in the draft. Actually, we can probably mix and match those, depending on what players are available. We could sign a DE and WR, and get a QB, or the other way.

crazyisme
02-26-2007, 12:08 PM
couldnt agree more, vikes99ej

once again, this dude shows he has no knowledge about the vikings

i think a lot of people agree that we can land Kerney and graham via FA to shore up those needs, other than that we need a game breaking WR, a vet QB and probably an OG

i think we could easily trade some of our picks and still fill the major holes this team has all while getting the best WR prospect in the last decade

Severe Punishment
02-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Eh, Sharper is old and we have no backup plan there...RT right now is a joke.
A TE that could stretch the field should probably be added to your list...
and I think we're all on the "wait and see" program as far as our MLB goes.

There are more holes right now than positions we "know" are solid.
For me I think SS is our strongest positioin , then CB, then DT...left side \
of the line. Assestment (unbiased) of our own team is important.
If we for one ****** think that the team right now is an 11 win team..
that sort of unrealistic expectation only leads to fans "jumping off the bandwagon". This team talent wise right now is nothing more than a 6 win team.

swagger
02-26-2007, 02:11 PM
This team talent wise right now is nothing more than a 6 win team.

Or maybe that is what Brad Childress would lead you to believe. Because damn, if that's true, Mike Tice must be a HoF coach. The '05 team had less talent than the '06 team, and yet Tice got them to 9-7. Wow.

jerthemessiah
02-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Eh, Sharper is old and we have no backup plan there...RT right now is a joke.
A TE that could stretch the field should probably be added to your list...
and I think we're all on the "wait and see" program as far as our MLB goes.

There are more holes right now than positions we "know" are solid.
For me I think SS is our strongest positioin , then CB, then DT...left side \
of the line. Assestment (unbiased) of our own team is important.
If we for one ****** think that the team right now is an 11 win team..
that sort of unrealistic expectation only leads to fans "jumping off the bandwagon". This team talent wise right now is nothing more than a 6 win team.E.J. moves to the middles and Greenway plays on the outside. Harris leaving isn't exactly a glaring hole. I wouldn't put him in a top 50 list of NFL LB's.

How can there be no backup plan for SS and it be the teams strongest position? Between Greg Blue and Tank Williams they should have a backup plan for Sharper down the road.

Severe Punishment
02-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Sorry, that should've read FS not SS...I've said all along that SS is one of our biggest strengths. (you forgot to mention D.Smith)

jerthemessiah
02-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Sorry, that should've read FS not SS...I've said all along that SS is one of our biggest strengths. (you forgot to mention D.Smith)Smith is the FS. He had a decent year and is 28. I don't see why they would be looking for someone at that position either. Sharper is backed up by Blue and Williams. I don't really see a need at either safty position at this point.

Crazy_Chris
02-26-2007, 11:15 PM
There is a need at FS(which sharper should be moved back to) its just not as Pressing anymore because we resigned Tank and Childress said he wasnt even thinking of cutting smith but the problem who knows what will happen with tank im hoping he stays healthy, and who knows if sharper will come back to form either way i think we look at safety as our big need next year.... but even if we go sign a bunch of FA's to fill spots i still think i like our options better at #7 just thinking of all we could do there gets me excited, there figures to be one of the top talents there we can steal Brady Quinn, Adrian Peterson, or alan branch being the three most likely to be there. and with the top talent there we will have some very nice trade leverage with teams like Miami,Houston,Carolina, Maybe St. louis, and maybe Pittsburgh. If we cant trade down we will have our choice of some very nice talent gaines Adams, Amobi Okoye, jammal Andersen, Possibly Quinn, Branch, Peterson, or Russel it's probably going to be thought of as the steal of the first round.

bearsfan_51
02-27-2007, 06:52 PM
couldnt agree more, vikes99ej

once again, this dude shows he has no knowledge about the vikings

i think a lot of people agree that we can land Kerney and graham via FA to shore up those needs, other than that we need a game breaking WR, a vet QB and probably an OG

i think we could easily trade some of our picks and still fill the major holes this team has all while getting the best WR prospect in the last decade
Yeah ok. As much as I'm not a fan of SP personally, he's dead on in that the Vikings are talent wise, at best, a 7 win team.

Are you the same dude that made a big piss and then left when everyone disagreed with him? Because you say "once again" as if I've ever talked to you before.

Edit: I remember now, you are. Wow that's pretty sad that you took your ball and went home when EVERYONE told you what a dumbass you are but then you sneak back in. I should have you banned just because you ran everyone down on the board and said you were never coming back.

Severe Punishment
02-27-2007, 07:18 PM
I hear and read the name Daniel Graham far to often. I really don't see this guy as an upgrade over the 2 guys we have. We may / may not sign him...just don't get the whole thing where he'd be an upgrade.
If we go TE...I'd take Greg Olsen 100X's over a Graham.
...and I'm to lazy to go look it up...but what happened with Eric Johnson ?
I thought he was goign to be an UFA either last year or this year....what's his story ?

Crazy_Chris
02-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Daniel Graham would be an immediate upgrade over nothing which may be what we are left with if childress cuts Wiggins & kleinsasser as he is rumored too. But i agree Olsen is soooooooooo much better i want to see him in purple and gold next year

Man_Of_Steel
02-27-2007, 08:25 PM
an arm and a leg

KILLERSANTA
02-27-2007, 08:25 PM
1st, 2nd, 3rd of this year and give al davis a BJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111oneone

Severe Punishment
02-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Jeff Dugan signed a 4 year extension for around 9 Million.
If Kliensauser and or Wiggins get cut...Dugan moves into their slot (or to the top). If we cut both I would expect us then to sign a F/A tight end , but not as long as we have 3 under contract.

DHVF
02-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Jeff Dugan signed a 4 year extension for around 9 Million.
If Kliensauser and or Wiggins get cut...Dugan moves into their slot (or to the top). If we cut both I would expect us then to sign a F/A tight end , but not as long as we have 3 under contract.

Actually, Dugan was signed to a 5 year extension worth 3.325 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2696948

Fooath
02-28-2007, 12:30 AM
i think a lot of people agree that we can land Kerney and graham via FA

We're going to land the best TE and DE in free agency with our current lack of cap space? Yeah, keep dreaming. If Graham plays in the north next year, he'll be in green and gold.

Not only has Childress ran this shop aground, he's managed to do in one year the one positive of previous ownership...a good cap situation. The cap goes up this season, and we go from usually having 30 to around 12? And 6 wins the previous year? And we're more then a 7 win team? Give me a break.

Severe Punishment
02-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the link diehard. I thought it was only for 4..."my bad".

And don't we have like 10 or more million in cap room...we'll save almost another million with Smoot and Johnson leaving....am I missing something here ?

crazyisme
03-07-2007, 10:37 AM
2 trades I would consider

our first this year and our first next year for #3 and conditional picks in return depending on where we end up in the draft....ala, if our pick next year is in the 20s, we get nothing in return from cleveland from the 2008 draft, if our pick next year is between 15-19 then we get a 4th round pick in return in 2008 from cleveland, if our pick is between 10-14, we get a 3rd round pick in return from cleveland in 2008, if we have a top 10 pick in 2008, we get a 2nd round pick from cleveland in return. That way if we end up sucking we still get some value in return in some form or another. And this works according to the draft value chart.

Another idea i would like would be our 3rd this year and our 2nd next year to move up from 7 to 3, this also works according to the draft value chart

I think the odds of us moving up are improving, the Browns are looking to add lewis and are thinking about trading for mcgahee so they may be looking to add something other than RB and could trade down