PDA

View Full Version : Hackett to Panthers

Yatta!
03-17-2008, 12:41 PM
DJ Hackett has signed with the Carolina Panthers on a 2-year/$3.5million deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3298035

Panthers WRs should be vastly improved after they added Muhammed earlier in free agency too. Good signing, got him quite cheap as well.

art vandelay
03-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Like bzasa said in another thread, I'm shocked that he didn't go to the Redskins. And yeah, that's a real nice price they got him for.

Just think:
Jerry Porter - $5 mil a year
DJ Hackett - $1.75 a year

toonsterwu
03-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Panthers have had one of the better offseasons so far. Another quality move. This move greatly diminishes any chance they had of going WR relatively early (say first 3 rounds). They've done such a good job this offseason that they can afford a QB pick in the 2nd/3rd now without having to feel like they are leaving needs untended.

I'm very surprised the Redskins didn't match, although there's been rumors that there's WR's that they are targeting in the draft, and they could revisit Chad Johnson.

This also increases the already high chances of the Bucs going WR, and this increases the likelihood the Seahawks go WR, as they really could use a lead guy anyways, but without Hackett, they could use a bigger guy, although they do have the former Auburn tandem of Obamanu and Taylor.

Dr. Gonzo
03-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Great signing. They got him really cheap and locked him in for two years.

eaglesalltheway
03-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Nice signing, he will produce well for them.

Ness
03-17-2008, 01:31 PM
I hope they get some insurance if Jake Delhomme goes down again.

SaintsFanForLife
03-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Great signing. Should give Steve Smith some room to make plays.

Scotty D
03-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Great signing. Hope this gives Steve Smith some room to make plays.

You are a saints fan, no? lol wtf.

03-17-2008, 01:36 PM
One of the better value signings of the offseason yet. Great move.

Thunder&Lightning
03-17-2008, 01:43 PM
very good signing. Props to carolina hackett one of the most under rated WR's in the league IMO. Sux for seattle...

xooberon
03-17-2008, 01:46 PM
They've done such a good job this offseason that they can afford a QB pick in the 2nd/3rd now without having to feel like they are leaving needs untended.

man i hope not

toonsterwu
03-17-2008, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the 2nd, largely because I think that 3 QB's will be off already and maybe even 4. I could see one happening in the 3rd, but that said, I also expect the Panthers to deal up by using one of their thirds.

I'm not saying they will draft a QB, rather just that they can afford to now without feeling guilty about leaving multiple needs untended.

SaintsFanForLife
03-17-2008, 01:52 PM
You are a saints fan, no? lol wtf.

Yes I am, but im a Steve Smith fan also. I only dont like him two times per year. He plays with so much hart and intensity. Its hard not to be a fan.

Flyboy
03-17-2008, 01:53 PM
man i hope not

You're confident with Jake Delhomme? Har.

Ness
03-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Hopefully Hackett can stay healthy. Last year was supposed to be his breakout season and he messed up due to injuries.

Ness
03-17-2008, 01:55 PM
You're confident with Jake Delhomme? Har.

He was off to a good season, and then he got injured. When healthy, he's capable of complimenting that offense. Not the best guy out there, but he gets the job done at least.

03-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Delhomme will be a good candidate for comeback player of the year going into next season and I expect Carolina to bounceback into the playoffs. When healthy he does more than just get the job done.

xooberon
03-17-2008, 02:11 PM
You're confident with Jake Delhomme?

yeah, of course

princefielder28
03-17-2008, 02:27 PM
This is a steal compared to what other wideouts got this off-season!

The Great Jonathan Vilma
03-17-2008, 02:37 PM
any ideas on why this contract is so low? given the trend this offseason this seems to be extremely cheap. Am i missing something?

03-17-2008, 02:39 PM
He's never played a full season thus very injury prone.

bearsfan_51
03-17-2008, 02:48 PM
any ideas on why this contract is so low? given the trend this offseason this seems to be extremely cheap. Am i missing something?
There have been concerns about Hackett, particularly that he is a product of Mike Holmgren's system (see: Darrell Jackson), and that he is incredibly inconsistant.

Still a good signing though, I'm guessing they cut Dwayne Jarrett. Yet another USC bust.

Flyboy
03-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Cut Jarrett? So soon -- yeah, I don't see that happening.

03-17-2008, 02:50 PM
If Jarrett's cut .. HELLO OAKLAND!

bearsfan_51
03-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Cut Jarrett? So soon -- yeah, I don't see that happening.

They didn't even let him see the field last year. Why would they sign two receivers just let to keep him around and have him not be on the active squad for another year. Maybe he'll get a chance in camp, but I don't think he'll do anything with it.

Not to mention his DUI.

bearsfan_51
03-17-2008, 02:54 PM
If Jarrett's cut .. HELLO OAKLAND!
Cause Mike Williams worked out so well.

03-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Cause Mike Williams worked out so well.

Either way we'll be first in line if it were to happen especially since Kiffin was one of those who helped recruit Jarrett to USC.

JCutlery
03-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Makes me wonder what Mike Shanahan was smoking when he signed Keary Colbert.. We could've had Hackett for cheaper. Wtf

xooberon
03-17-2008, 03:03 PM
i'd be very surprised if we did cut jarrett. there's been no indication from the FO that he is to be cut and all that has been said about him is they expect him to step up his game next year. there was a need on the roster for two WR's after we lost colbert and carter (albeit not a terrible loss) in FA.

i don't think we're ready to give up on him just yet.

21ST
03-17-2008, 03:06 PM
lol its kinda weird to hear the only thing the redskins offered him was the vet min plus incentives

bigbluedefense
03-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Carolina won't go anywhere until they bolster both their lines. That dline used to be one of the best. Its now one of the worst in the league.

Oline has always been makeshift.

art vandelay
03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Carolina won't go anywhere until they bolster both their lines. That dline used to be one of the best. Its now one of the worst in the league.

BBD = http://www.fluxw.com/debbie.gif

bigbluedefense
03-17-2008, 03:18 PM
BBD = http://www.fluxw.com/debbie.gif

lol, i don't get the reference =/

bearsfan_51
03-17-2008, 03:20 PM
i'd be very surprised if we did cut jarrett. there's been no indication from the FO that he is to be cut and all that has been said about him is they expect him to step up his game next year. there was a need on the roster for two WR's after we lost colbert and carter (albeit not a terrible loss) in FA.

i don't think we're ready to give up on him just yet.
What kind of indication would they give? It's not that often that teams say "yeah we're going to cut him", before they actually do it. The fact that they signed two players that are similar in skillset to Jarrett is about as good of an indication as you'll get. Even if they were to replace the two receivers, why wouldn't they trust Jarrett to take one of those spots?

bearsfan_51
03-17-2008, 03:21 PM
lol, i don't get the reference =/

Debbie Downer. She makes depressing comments in otherwise positive situations.

Don't worry, I'm the same way.;)

bigbluedefense
03-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Debbie Downer. She makes depressing comments in otherwise positive situations.

Don't worry, I'm the same way.;)

haha, im gonna look her up on youtube.

ShutDwn
03-17-2008, 03:33 PM

Which they obviously realize if you look at some of their moves and how much they are looking at Clady right now.

The Panthers of late have been notorious for over paying free agents. While also making such decisions as keeping injury plagued Morgan over always dependable Witherspoon.

This year however has been a lot different because they seem to be looking for bargains and for guys they feel they can get for cheap and play better than they have before, or vets like Muhammed.

He was off to a good season, and then he got injured. When healthy, he's capable of complimenting that offense. Not the best guy out there, but he gets the job done at least.

He was off to a very good season, he was a changed player before his injury. He wasn't making the typical Jake mistakes, he was getting way more than the job done.

I don't see the team picking a QB on the first day or maybe not even at all. They liked Basanez to be a backup, and Matt Moore played very well in his few starts.

The Panthers will look to draft on both lines early, probably OT first and DE/DT second.

bigbluedefense
03-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Which they obviously realize if you look at some of their moves and how much they are looking at Clady right now.

The Panthers of late have been notorious for over paying free agents. While also making such decisions as keeping injury plagued Morgan over always dependable Witherspoon.

This year however has been a lot different because they seem to be looking for bargains and for guys they feel they can get for cheap and play better than they have before, or vets like Muhammed.

He was off to a very good season, he was a changed player before his injury. He wasn't making the typical Jake mistakes, he was getting way more than the job done.

I don't see the team picking a QB on the first day or maybe not even at all. They liked Basanez to be a backup, and Matt Moore played very well in his few starts.

The Panthers will look to draft on both lines early, probably OT first and DE/DT second.

theres alot of holes to fill though. i think theyre 2 years away from being legit contenders again. they need a whole new dline outside of Peppers too. You know who wouldve been real sweet for your team? Chase Blackburn. He'd be a great MIKE for you guys. He's on our bench. Im not sure when he becomes a FA, but that would allow you to keep Beason at WILL. Beason was beastly this year, Id like to see him stay at WILL if possible.

Id say you probably need 2 guys on the dline, 1 LB, maybe a safety, 2 guys on the oline. Thats alot of holes.

xooberon
03-17-2008, 05:18 PM
we don't need a LB, we have davis - beason - johnson as starters with diggs, anderson and shaw for depth. i'd say it's a strength really. and for oline i think just a LT is needed:
LT - wharton - kalil - hangman/bridges - gross
that ain't bad

but yeah defensive line needs at least one new starter, preferably DT so lewis can go back to his situational role where he's most effective

xooberon
03-17-2008, 05:20 PM
What kind of indication would they give? It's not that often that teams say "yeah we're going to cut him", before they actually do it. The fact that they signed two players that are similar in skillset to Jarrett is about as good of an indication as you'll get. Even if they were to replace the two receivers, why wouldn't they trust Jarrett to take one of those spots?
because he sucked ass last year?

i just don't think they'll give up on him after only one year

toonsterwu
03-17-2008, 05:31 PM
I doubt Jarrett will get cut, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did make the move. Richardson's been pretty steady on his character demands since the, well, Rae Carruth and um Fred Lane? incidents of years past. That said, I'm guessing he gets the benefit of the doubt, although if he comes back, he'll probably be deep on the bench as the 4th/5th WR and may get cut in a year's time anyways.

As for the Panthers, I love their offseason. I really do. In this day and age, it's not about getting studs as much as it's about giving options without killing your budget, thus allowing you flexibility in the draft. This is what I truly consider as the original "Patriots way" and not all the discussions on where to draft positions and so forth.

This was a team that entered this offseason with a bunch of needs. There were concerns at safety, lb, de, dt, wr, rb, and ol. And this was from just a starting perspective, as there were depth concerns as well. They weren't going to address all these things in the draft.

They've gotten their big back complement in Toefield. Not great, but usable. They can wait on RB till later. They kept their two OL and by all accounts, will slide Wharton inside, which is where he's a better fit, and he also offers more bulk. Now they can wait on interior OL until later. Would Lance Briggs been an upgrade? Sure. Is the difference between Lance Briggs and Landon Johnson in performance worth the difference in cost? No. Johnson should be a solid starter for them. Moose and Hackett gives them better options at WR, cutting ties with ineffective Colbert and Drew Carter. Is Tyler Brayton a great end? No. That said, he's a good option, and paired with Charles Johnson, you have a potentially capable run/pass mix and buys Johnson time to develop. They also resigned Damione Lewis so they wouldn't be desperate.

With their additional pick, I expect them to be aggressive and target an OT in the first. I'd look for them to target a DT in the 2nd, which maybe a product of a move as well if they really got aggressive, and for them to look safety in the 3rd/4th range. If they hang onto all their picks (which I don't see, the chances of Clady reaching them at 13 is very low right now), they can afford, as noted, a QB pick and still feel comfortable. Instead of having to loo for starters in the 2nd half of the draft, which was a possibility entering the offseason, they can look for depth now.

I don't know if they will succeed next year. I wouldn't rule it out, as I like the moves. But from an offseason perspective, I'm a huge fan. Granted, last year, the Niners looked like they had a great offseason as well, but the Panthers haven't spent as much as they did on an individual player.

PACKmanN
03-17-2008, 09:09 PM
They didn't even let him see the field last year. Why would they sign two receivers just let to keep him around and have him not be on the active squad for another year. Maybe he'll get a chance in camp, but I don't think he'll do anything with it.

Not to mention his DUI.

So who do they play at their 3rd or 4th WR spot? They need him.

ShutDwn
03-17-2008, 10:02 PM
I doubt Jarrett will get cut, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did make the move. Richardson's been pretty steady on his character demands since the, well, Rae Carruth and um Fred Lane? incidents of years past. That said, I'm guessing he gets the benefit of the doubt, although if he comes back, he'll probably be deep on the bench as the 4th/5th WR and may get cut in a year's time anyways.

As for the Panthers, I love their offseason. I really do. In this day and age, it's not about getting studs as much as it's about giving options without killing your budget, thus allowing you flexibility in the draft. This is what I truly consider as the original "Patriots way" and not all the discussions on where to draft positions and so forth.

This was a team that entered this offseason with a bunch of needs. There were concerns at safety, lb, de, dt, wr, rb, and ol. And this was from just a starting perspective, as there were depth concerns as well. They weren't going to address all these things in the draft.

They've gotten their big back complement in Toefield. Not great, but usable. They can wait on RB till later. They kept their two OL and by all accounts, will slide Wharton inside, which is where he's a better fit, and he also offers more bulk. Now they can wait on interior OL until later. Would Lance Briggs been an upgrade? Sure. Is the difference between Lance Briggs and Landon Johnson in performance worth the difference in cost? No. Johnson should be a solid starter for them. Moose and Hackett gives them better options at WR, cutting ties with ineffective Colbert and Drew Carter. Is Tyler Brayton a great end? No. That said, he's a good option, and paired with Charles Johnson, you have a potentially capable run/pass mix and buys Johnson time to develop. They also resigned Damione Lewis so they wouldn't be desperate.

With their additional pick, I expect them to be aggressive and target an OT in the first. I'd look for them to target a DT in the 2nd, which maybe a product of a move as well if they really got aggressive, and for them to look safety in the 3rd/4th range. If they hang onto all their picks (which I don't see, the chances of Clady reaching them at 13 is very low right now), they can afford, as noted, a QB pick and still feel comfortable. Instead of having to loo for starters in the 2nd half of the draft, which was a possibility entering the offseason, they can look for depth now.

I don't know if they will succeed next year. I wouldn't rule it out, as I like the moves. But from an offseason perspective, I'm a huge fan. Granted, last year, the Niners looked like they had a great offseason as well, but the Panthers haven't spent as much as they did on an individual player.

Nicely put, I agree about free agency. I like that they are looking for "support" guys, or decent veteran players who won't lose you games but can also make some plays. They also took in guys who could may have not performed up to their potential before. Guys like Damione Lewis who didn't do well before but really flourished in their new role. The way I see it, these guys are the ones that really make the team's superstars shine, Hackett and Moose will help the offense and Smith a lot and thus make Smith even better. Picking up another superstar would be way to costly, and IMO, you don't need another. Getting a costly running back like Turner won't change the fact that the interior line is weak, so they picked up Toefield and they are looking to get bigger inside so that the man they already have (Williams) can be truly effective. I'm not sure about the team's confidence in Johnson, he played decently, a lot of hustle but lacked pressure. DE could be a second or first pick, also because it is not guaranteed that Julius Peppers will be back.

Now, I'm not sure if they will make the playoffs, a lot depends on all these signing work out to their potential. But I think the signings definitely put them in a position to build how they want through the draft. Another key note is that they are getting younger (cept Moose)

BlindSite
03-18-2008, 02:04 AM
Jarrett will stick around imo, Jarrett, Muhummad, Smith, Hackett and travis Taylor is a pretty good corp.

portermvp84
03-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Good WR corp he could work his way from a slot to the second WR.

ShutDwn
03-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Jarrett will stick around imo, Jarrett, Muhummad, Smith, Hackett and travis Taylor is a pretty good corp.

Where is Ryne Robinson? He definitely came full swing last year and became somewhat of a threat in the last few games.