PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for the coming year anyone??

detknowitall
03-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Here are a few of my predictions for the comming year.

1. The Lions draft a RB which I personally think is a mistake. CB, LB, and OT are still the top needs on this team in my opinion. But as Scott predicted Millen wont be able to resist making the big name draft pick.

2. Roy Williams will play a good year and then realize that KJ getting cut was the worst thing that could have happened to him. He now has a big target put on his back. Millen is the hunter, and his weapon of choice is the FRANCHISE TAG!!! Bet on it.

3. We finally get to see what the big deal with drafting Calhoun was in the 3rd round. If he doesnt crack the lineup this year he's gone next.

4. Calvin and Roy hit 1,000 yards. Thats right 2 receivers top 1,000 yards.

5. Ready for this one....Lions with the NFC North.....by default. C'mon people. The NFC North is about as weak as it gets if you can't rise to the top in this crappy division....sheesh. Chicago doesnt have a starting QB unless they draft one, Benson has been pushing his way to bust status, and they have no decent receivers. Minnesota has a strong Running back, but T-Jack isnt the answer. And you can pass gas just as easily as you can pass a football on the Vikes Defense. The Lions just barely had a better pass D than the Vikings, the difference is that the Lions did something to improve it in the offseason. They can't really pass the ball so just clamp down on the running game and you should be in any game at the end. Green Bay, Probably has the best chance to push for the NFC North top spot, but the fact remains that Rodgers is a 4th year Rookie. So until he can proove that he can get it done week in and week out there will be questions. And game planning for Rodgers isnt as hard as game planning for Favre. Green Bay doesnt have what I'd call a dominant running game to fall back on.

But there you go my predictions for the comming year. Lets hear some others out there, wondering what you guys thing the 08 year is going to end up looking like.

P-L
03-17-2008, 11:42 PM
My prediction for the Lions:

1. Draft Rashard Mendenhall. Millen ignores the OL and DL until the 4th Round, maybe 3rd if we get lucky.

2. Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson have "down" years, statistically. The Lions are going to run the ball more and without Martz here, we'll see less WR's on the field. With less receivers to cover, the more attention defenses can pay to Roy Williams, at least until Calvin commands more attention. Is Furrey going to do anything without Martz?

3. Brian Calhoun, Shaun Cody, and Stanley Wilson will all be off the team by the time 2009 rolls around. That will leave only 8 players on the team drafted by Millen from 2001-2006.

4. Lions go 3-13 or 4-12. They get another top three pick. Fans stop coming to games. Marinelli and his staff get shown the door (three years and you're out seems to be the theme). And hopefully Ford realizes that it is finally time to part ways with his buddy Matt Millen, although not likely.

Addict
03-18-2008, 02:09 AM
Basically this team isn't capable to win more than 5 games I think, and that's bound to piss off some fans. I doubt Ford Field will sell out all year, and that should be a good wake-up call to our inept revenue-obsessed owner.

WMD
03-19-2008, 01:56 AM
Yep, I agree.. I think we'd be lucky to go 6-10. We've got freakin Jon Kitna as our QB, and we don't have the Martz Offense to make him look "good".

Addict
03-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Yep, I agree.. I think we'd be lucky to go 6-10. We've got freakin Jon Kitna as our QB, and we don't have the Martz Offense to make him look "good".

Kitna will not finish this season as the starting QB unless Stanton goes down (again, which would be typical of our luck).

I do want to say, I think this draft class, whatever it'll be, WILL be better than last years'.

Prowler
03-19-2008, 04:07 PM
calvin johnson breaks his leg in preseason

at the end of the season we look back to see that this draft somehow fails to address any of our needs. (even if we took jake long or someone magically)

millen stays

or if you want a somewhat happy ending-
lions win the super bowl, then move to mexico city.

i've learned to have low expectations...and we will improve after taking a couple more steps back. atleast we play in the division with tavaris jackson, aaron rodgers, and rex grossman.

WMD
03-19-2008, 06:01 PM
atleast we play in the division with tavaris jackson, aaron rodgers, and rex grossman.

And the other three teams are glad they play against Jon Kitna/Drew Stanton. We all have crappy QB's, it'll be up to the Defenses to win this division and the Lions have the worst in the North.

Definitely predicting a Top 5 pick for us next year.

bearsfan_51
03-20-2008, 12:54 AM
5. Ready for this one....Lions with the NFC North.....by default. C'mon people. The NFC North is about as weak as it gets if you can't rise to the top in this crappy division....sheesh. Chicago doesnt have a starting QB unless they draft one, Benson has been pushing his way to bust status, and they have no decent receivers. Minnesota has a strong Running back, but T-Jack isnt the answer. And you can pass gas just as easily as you can pass a football on the Vikes Defense. The Lions just barely had a better pass D than the Vikings, the difference is that the Lions did something to improve it in the offseason. They can't really pass the ball so just clamp down on the running game and you should be in any game at the end. Green Bay, Probably has the best chance to push for the NFC North top spot, but the fact remains that Rodgers is a 4th year Rookie. So until he can proove that he can get it done week in and week out there will be questions. And game planning for Rodgers isnt as hard as game planning for Favre. Green Bay doesnt have what I'd call a dominant running game to fall back on.
The NFC North/Central has been weak plenty of years, the Lions never have capitalized. In the land of the blind man, the Lions are also crippled and retarde-d.

And the stuff about "clamping down on the Vikings run game" is funny. The Bears had 11 men in the box and he still made them look like school girls. They are elite at running the ball and stopping the run, that alone should give them a huge advantage over the Bears and Lions.

Addict
03-20-2008, 03:54 AM
And the other three teams are glad they play against Jon Kitna/Drew Stanton. We all have crappy QB's, it'll be up to the Defenses to win this division and the Lions have the worst in the North.

Definitely predicting a Top 5 pick for us next year.

Welcome to detroit, Michael Oher.

Prowler
03-20-2008, 12:49 PM
lol, the oher draft strategy will be in effect this year

Addict
03-20-2008, 02:58 PM
lol, the oher draft strategy will be in effect this year

Will it happen or will Millen still be employed?

Brothgar
03-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Realistically the season bends on two factors

1. our ability to bring in a competent RG and RT don't care how good the rest of your team is if you are missing 1/2 of your OLine you ain't winning anything.

2. The ability for Aaron Rogers to be Brett Favre. Without Favre the offence is stuck the D is impressive but without the Big Favre they aren't going to be the great team they were last season. If Rogers is good in his first season as a full time starter then we're doomed.

2008 Opponents

HOME:
Bears: W - 90% sure with both teams healthy the Lions could beat the Bears at home the offence can't be fixed in 1 year. Even now they need a QB, 1 WR, 1 RB, 1 OT.

Green Bay: W - as I said before it depends on Aaron Rogers.

Minnesota: 50/50 - At home and Tavaris Jackson at QB I'd say 50/50 chance at a win.

New Orleans: W - I'd say a 60/40 chance maybe even 70/30 Marinelli has years of experience playing against the Saints I think we can take it at home.

Tampa Bay: W - Easy our best game of the year was against Tampa we have 95% ex-tampa players should be an easy win.

Jacksonville: L - Easy no need to comment

Tennessee: L - 60/40 against the Lions. Vince is a good QB

Washington: L - Destroyed us last year one year isn't going to change it that much.

AWAY

Chicago, Green Bay, Minnesota - W, Rogers, L. See Above

Atlanta: W - Should be an easy win.

Carolina: W - I can't see why not they aren't exactly better this year.

Houston: L - Going against that D on the road I'll cue this as a Loss.

Indianapolis: L - If Manning isn't injured the Colts win this game period.

San Fran: L - Martz's Revenge he is going to save his best O for that game.

So the range is 9-7 best case 5-10 worst case.

Addict
03-20-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm not predicting anymore, even though my prediction of 8-8 turned out to be... almost right.

wingboy2999
03-20-2008, 09:15 PM
And this one is asking for trollers too.

P-L
03-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Welcome to detroit, Michael Oher.
No way, that actually require to Millen to address the Offensive Line before the 4th Round. I thinking more like "Welcome to Detroit, Chris Wells" (if we don't get Rashard this year) or "Welcome to Detroit, Michael Crabtree" (if Roy Williams is let go).

Addict
03-21-2008, 08:08 AM
No way, that actually require to Millen to address the Offensive Line before the 4th Round. I thinking more like "Welcome to Detroit, Chris Wells" (if we don't get Rashard this year) or "Welcome to Detroit, Michael Crabtree" (if Roy Williams is let go).

A man can dream, right? Plus if we really pick in the top five next year I think Millen will be fired.

Iamcanadian
03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
A man can dream, right? Plus if we really pick in the top five next year I think Millen will be fired.

Yeah, but Ford 'cannot find any standard by which Millen should be fired'. Winning has a very low priority for Ford, it is just us fans who think it is important.
I think Ford invented dreaming because that is all he ever delivers to Detroit's fans, and we know they dream a lot otherwise you'd see a lot more empty seats in Detroit.
I don't think Ford will ever get the message as long as Detroit's fans fill his stadium, he seems to view it as proof that we accept his judgment without question. Anybody who buys a ticket to a Detroit football game is in essence, saying 'your doing a good job Ford, keep up the good work'. Why should he care if he's making money? I'm saying right now that until he dies, he will keep Detroit football fans in misery for the rest of his life. Very sad but true!!!

Xiomera
03-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Xio's Prognistications:

1) Lions draft Rashard Mendenhall at 15.
2) Lions draft an assortment of chumps in rounds 2-7, all of which are cut by the start of the season.
3) Jon Kitna starts 16 games, throws for 20 touchdowns, and 25 interceptions
4) Tatum Bell scores ZERO touchdowns despite a couple hundred carries.
5) Mendenhall gets hurt in week six playing behind out atricious and disappointingly familiar looking offensive line.
6) Roy Williams has double digit TD's and a 1,000 yard season, forcing the Lions to franchise him and piss him off.
7) Calvin Johnson catches 70 passes and drop 20 more.
8) George Foster will still suck.
9) Jason Hanson will lead the team in special teams tackles.
10) Cory Redding will double his sack total from last season. (This equates to 2 sacks if you're scoring at home.)
11) Chuck Darby does not turn out to be the 'warrior' Marinelli described him as. Nor will he live up to his recent interview proclamation: "I believe in eating hearts. That's what D-linemen do."
12) Shaun Rogers will make the Pro Bowl. Kevin Jones will rush for more yards than any of the Lions rushers too.
13) Michael Gaines will make us all long for the days of Mikael Ricks and Marcus Pollard.
14) Dominic Raiola will inevitably blow a game for us with a chop block penalty at the most inopportune moment imaginable.
15) Drew Stanton will throw far less than 100 passes this season.
16) Aveion Cason will dazzle us repeatedly with kick returns up to the 20.
17) Nick Harris will be our most secret weapon.
18) Rod Marinelli will not abandon his "one snap of one possession of one quarter of one half of one game of one season of one career of one lifetime" mentality.
19) Jim Colletto will be fired at the end of the season. Kippy Brown will replace him.
20) Matt Millen will keep his job, and likely assume the CEO position of Ford Motor Company as well.
21) William Clay Ford, Sr. will live to be 128 years old.
22) Ford Field will not sell out every game this season.
23) Brian Kelly will prove to be worse than Fernando Bryant.
24) Leigh Bodden will get arrested again.
25) Ikaika Alama-Francis will have no more than 2 sacks and Marinelli will mamintain his man-crush on his "raw talent." regardless.
26) Dewayne White will lead the team with 5 sacks.
27) Shaun Cody will be the next first day selection of the Millen regime to get cut.
28) Paris Lenon will not recover any fumbles this season.
29) Ernie Sims will make 96% of the tackles this season on defense.
30) Mike Furrey will continue to fade into oblivion after his 100 catch season of 2006.
31) Shaun McDonald will still not be tall enough to catch Kitna's sky-high lobs into the endzone.
32) Coaches will rave about Dan Campbell's blocking ability. Lions will average less than 4 yards per carry for the year.
33) The Lions would have been better off signing Joey Harrington this season.
34) Ernie Sims will be snubbed again for a Pro Bowl selection.
35) Jeff Backus: see Prediction #7.
36) The Lions will allow 60 points to Indianapolis this season.
37) The Lions will wish they had listened to common sense and drafted an OT in Round One.
38) The Lions will lose on Thanksgiving.
39) The Lions will not make the playoffs.
40) The Lions will have a 2008 record of 4-12, and once again be picking 2nd overall come April 2009.

brat316
03-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Lose on Thanksgiving thats not a prediction that happen almost every year its like a given.

Brothgar
03-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Xio's Prognistications:

1) Lions draft Rashard Mendenhall at 15.
2) Lions draft an assortment of chumps in rounds 2-7, all of which are cut by the start of the season.
3) Jon Kitna starts 16 games, throws for 20 touchdowns, and 25 interceptions
4) Tatum Bell scores ZERO touchdowns despite a couple hundred carries.
5) Mendenhall gets hurt in week six playing behind out atricious and disappointingly familiar looking offensive line.
6) Roy Williams has double digit TD's and a 1,000 yard season, forcing the Lions to franchise him and piss him off.
7) Calvin Johnson catches 70 passes and drop 20 more.
8) George Foster will still suck.
9) Jason Hanson will lead the team in special teams tackles.
10) Cory Redding will double his sack total from last season. (This equates to 2 sacks if you're scoring at home.)
11) Chuck Darby does not turn out to be the 'warrior' Marinelli described him as. Nor will he live up to his recent interview proclamation: "I believe in eating hearts. That's what D-linemen do."
12) Shaun Rogers will make the Pro Bowl. Kevin Jones will rush for more yards than any of the Lions rushers too.
13) Michael Gaines will make us all long for the days of Mikael Ricks and Marcus Pollard.
14) Dominic Raiola will inevitably blow a game for us with a chop block penalty at the most inopportune moment imaginable.
15) Drew Stanton will throw far less than 100 passes this season.
16) Aveion Cason will dazzle us repeatedly with kick returns up to the 20.
17) Nick Harris will be our most secret weapon.
18) Rod Marinelli will not abandon his "one snap of one possession of one quarter of one half of one game of one season of one career of one lifetime" mentality.
19) Jim Colletto will be fired at the end of the season. Kippy Brown will replace him.
20) Matt Millen will keep his job, and likely assume the CEO position of Ford Motor Company as well.
21) William Clay Ford, Sr. will live to be 128 years old.
22) Ford Field will not sell out every game this season.
23) Brian Kelly will prove to be worse than Fernando Bryant.
24) Leigh Bodden will get arrested again.
25) Ikaika Alama-Francis will have no more than 2 sacks and Marinelli will mamintain his man-crush on his "raw talent." regardless.
26) Dewayne White will lead the team with 5 sacks.
27) Shaun Cody will be the next first day selection of the Millen regime to get cut.
28) Paris Lenon will not recover any fumbles this season.
29) Ernie Sims will make 96% of the tackles this season on defense.
30) Mike Furrey will continue to fade into oblivion after his 100 catch season of 2006.
31) Shaun McDonald will still not be tall enough to catch Kitna's sky-high lobs into the endzone.
32) Coaches will rave about Dan Campbell's blocking ability. Lions will average less than 4 yards per carry for the year.
33) The Lions would have been better off signing Joey Harrington this season.
34) Ernie Sims will be snubbed again for a Pro Bowl selection.
35) Jeff Backus: see Prediction #7.
36) The Lions will allow 60 points to Indianapolis this season.
37) The Lions will wish they had listened to common sense and drafted an OT in Round One.
38) The Lions will lose on Thanksgiving.
39) The Lions will not make the playoffs.
40) The Lions will have a 2008 record of 4-12, and once again be picking 2nd overall come April 2009.

Jeff Backus will catch 70 passes? WOW! I guess we can condone the 20 drops seeing as he is a tackle.

Addict
03-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Jeff Backus will catch 70 passes? WOW! I guess we can condone the 20 drops seeing as he is a tackle.

I'm pretty sure he ment number 21, he looks like a healthy guy.

Xiomera
03-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Meant to be #8 . . . but hahaha

Geo
03-22-2008, 03:17 AM
#1. What's up with Shaun Cody? I'm surprised he's not working out, especially once Marinelli came in. Is there any hope for this guy? He gets some rotational snaps, how does he look? I'm going to go out on a limb with a prediction and say he'll make a positive jump in his play this season. Cody is in a contract year, and Shaun Rogers being gone means he might see more snaps even though the Lions signed Chuck Darby, a solid signing and an excellent fit for the defensive scheme, to replace Rogers at NT.

#2. Truthfully, I think Marinelli is starting to mold the defense, he's getting it there. Guys who don't belong in the defense and the locker room are being phased out as possible and he's got some good temporary pieces to hold the fort for the time being, still a number of pieces away though and a year late in some respects, but there's a horizon that can be seen in the distance. The whole transition isn't being handled extremely well, but, it's being handled. The reality of the NFL is that Marinelli is likely in a make-or-break year as the Lions HC, which doesn't bode well for him, but if the Lions can give him another year I think he could really turn the defense into what it needs to be. We saw glimpses last season in some of their home efforts, defensively, in the team speed and creation of turnovers. But when you've got pieces that don't fit like Rogers or pieces missing, well we also saw the continued struggles. Alama-Francis can't be a bust, Marinelli needs him to work out, especially with the void at RDE.

#3. Another bit of truth, but not for the positive: the offense takes a big hit with Martz gone imo. All the same pieces remain, the four-wide depth chart at receiver, but that doesn't mean they will work as well with the guys left in charge offensively. It might even be ugly, like the Lions when Mariucci first got there or the 49ers of last year, who experienced a similar transition from proven offensive coordinator to rookie OC. Unless this guy they've got calling up the plays has serious experience, I'll be honest and say I'm unaware if he does or doesn't. But it's a drop from Martz imo and the results will be evident on the field, I guess I'm expecting the worse in that regard.

#4. Draft thoughts: I've thought for months that Mendenhall is the 1st rd guy, and I've guessed Mayo in the 2nd recently. There's been a good streak of starting MLBs in the 2nd round recently, with Seahawks/Lofa Tatupu (05), the Texans/DeMeco Ryans (06), and the Jets/David Harris (07) - maybe Mayo is the guy to continue that streak, with the Lions to their fans' hopes.

3rd round, I'll guess defensive end - with either Darrell Robertson of Georgia Tech or Chris Ellis of VA Tech. They need to get a pass rusher who can be a potential starter, and there's a dip in the potential talent pool after the 3rd round in that regard. 4th round goes to the offensive line, and maybe the 5th round pick does as well. Around this point, you can look for guys to add to the secondary, maybe defensive line, with some quickness/speed. And hopefully the Lions hit on some UDFAs, they could do well to bring in a guy like DT Lorenzo Williams of Missouri who seems like a good fit for the scheme.

TacticaLion
03-22-2008, 09:02 AM
#3. Another bit of truth, but not for the positive: the offense takes a big hit with Martz gone imo. All the same pieces remain, the four-wide depth chart at receiver, but that doesn't mean they will work as well with the guys left in charge offensively. It might even be ugly, like the Lions when Mariucci first got there or the 49ers of last year, who experienced a similar transition from proven offensive coordinator to rookie OC. Unless this guy they've got calling up the plays has serious experience, I'll be honest and say I'm unaware if he does or doesn't. But it's a drop from Martz imo and the results will be evident on the field, I guess I'm expecting the worse in that regard.I honestly think the offense will be more consistent next year, and I'll take that over whatever the hell we had last year. Martz's offense is great with the right personnel, but we don't have those personnel in Detroit. He said it himself: we needed two [new] tackles to make it work. Couple that average OLine with Kitna's slow release and the lack of a running game, and you've got a horribly inconsistent (and predictable) offense.

Instead, I'd rather pound the ball on the ground and take an unexpected shot deep to either Roy or CJ. Furrey/McD are very good in the slot, and, when one of 'em gets injured, we wont be desperate at the position.

So, I really think firing Martz was addition by subtraction. It just didn't fit.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Losing Martz we lose explosiveness in the offense. However, our pass protection should be much better guranteed. Martzs offense can move the chains which was an upgrade over Mariuccis West Coast with Joey but with Martz you give up a ton of sacks even with Orlando Pace at LT. And our redzone offense was not that great last year. Martz offense just didn't work as well in the redzone. It might be the personnel especially the Oline but if we are pounding the ball more it should open things up. That being said just because we say we are going to run the ball doesn't mean we will be successful at it. We'll see how the zone blocking scheme works out. Its a good proven system with Denver,GB,Atlanta in the past and hopefully we have the personnel for it.

Iamcanadian
03-22-2008, 09:41 AM
I honestly think the offense will be more consistent next year, and I'll take that over whatever the hell we had last year. Martz's offense is great with the right personnel, but we don't have those personnel in Detroit. He said it himself: we needed two [new] tackles to make it work. Couple that average OLine with Kitna's slow release and the lack of a running game, and you've got a horribly inconsistent (and predictable) offense.

Instead, I'd rather pound the ball on the ground and take an unexpected shot deep to either Roy or CJ. Furrey/McD are very good in the slot, and, when one of 'em gets injured, we wont be desperate at the position.

So, I really think firing Martz was addition by subtraction. It just didn't fit.

I tend to agree that our offense could actually be quite decent, however it is contingent on 1 thing, having a stud at RB. If we are able to draft Mendenhall, then I agree, our offense has real promise. It is far easier to get an OL to run block than it is to get them to pass block so if we switch to a run first offense, our OL will be adequate. If we cannot get a stud at RB, victories will be few and far between.
However, by drafting Mendenhall, we ensure that our defense will continue to be at the bottom of the league. It is simply a terrible example of how Millen utterly fails to provide his HC's with enough talent to have any hope of winning. Millen has failed every HC he had and then turned around and blamed them for the team's failure. I think Marinelli in another organization might have become a good HC but we'll never know because in Detroit Millen finds the talent or non talent as the case may be, upon which Marinelli has to create a winner from. Sad for Marinelli, sadder for Detroit fans.

TacticaLion
03-22-2008, 10:00 AM
I tend to agree that our offense could actually be quite decent, however it is contingent on 1 thing, having a stud at RB. If we are able to draft Mendenhall, then I agree, our offense has real promise. It is far easier to get an OL to run block than it is to get them to pass block so if we switch to a run first offense, our OL will be adequate. If we cannot get a stud at RB, victories will be few and far between.
However, by drafting Mendenhall, we ensure that our defense will continue to be at the bottom of the league. It is simply a terrible example of how Millen utterly fails to provide his HC's with enough talent to have any hope of winning. Millen has failed every HC he had and then turned around and blamed them for the team's failure. I think Marinelli in another organization might have become a good HC but we'll never know because in Detroit Millen finds the talent or non talent as the case may be, upon which Marinelli has to create a winner from. Sad for Marinelli, sadder for Detroit fans.If we had lost Rogers and not acquired Bodden, I'd agree with you. But, at this point, I don't.

Our CB position is now solid. Kelly, Bodden, Fisher, Wilson and Smith is a solid group. No, it isn't set for years to come, but we can at least fill other (more important) needs in the draft.

Dwight Smith was basically an upgrade over Kennedy (and a big one at that). I think our safety group, if healthy, is pretty good.

Darby is a solid stand-in on our DLine, and will give us something(s) that Rogers couldn't: effort and consistency. We resigned Corey Smith (who, I think, can be a very good player). White, Darby, Redding, IAF, DeVries and Smith... the group could surprise. I expect one of our third round picks to be spent in this area.

If we can fill our void at MLB (and I expect that to be in round 2), this group would actually be OK. Sims is a beast and Lenon could easily move over to SLB. Add a playmaker next to Sims and the unit is fine.

So, I think we should take Mendenhall. Hell, take Mendenhall and spend the next 3 picks on defense... I don't care... but we need that stud RB.

I think we're in reasonable shape heading into the draft.

Addict
03-22-2008, 12:00 PM
If we had lost Rogers and not acquired Bodden, I'd agree with you. But, at this point, I don't.

Our CB position is now solid. Kelly, Bodden, Fisher, Wilson and Smith is a solid group. No, it isn't set for years to come, but we can at least fill other (more important) needs in the draft.

Dwight Smith was basically an upgrade over Kennedy (and a big one at that). I think our safety group, if healthy, is pretty good.

Darby is a solid stand-in on our DLine, and will give us something(s) that Rogers couldn't: effort and consistency. We resigned Corey Smith (who, I think, can be a very good player). White, Darby, Redding, IAF, DeVries and Smith... the group could surprise. I expect one of our third round picks to be spent in this area.

If we can fill our void at MLB (and I expect that to be in round 2), this group would actually be OK. Sims is a beast and Lenon could easily move over to SLB. Add a playmaker next to Sims and the unit is fine.

So, I think we should take Mendenhall. Hell, take Mendenhall and spend the next 3 picks on defense... I don't care... but we need that stud RB.

I think we're in reasonable shape heading into the draft.

Good write-up, and I think I can agree with most of it. I'd like the draft to get us a project-type player at corner (maybe a 3rd round faller), we need a MLB (mayo or gooden would be good picks) and the running back situation needs adressing. The thing is, the O-line is in shambles, now one could argue that it's just a matter of time and we need to get that sorted, but this group just isn't very good, if your main O-lineman is Dominic Raiola... which is not a good thing.

It's a question of priorities, I think the M&M's (GM + HC) are both on the hotseat, although in Marinelli's case I think he should at least get the time to make his system work, but I seem to be alone. Thing is, Millen won't get many more chances, so he'll want to get a playmaker in, Mendenhall fits the bill. My concern is that even if Mendenhall is exactly the back I think he is (the elite type) he still won't go anywhere if he's got no line. Now I hope their decision to keep foster around doesn't blow up in their faces, but we need O-line help fast. If it doesn't happen this year (and I expect at least one of our 3rd round picks to be devoted to the OL) it will have to happen next year, otherwise it's only gonna get worse. We won't be very good, especially with the Vikes having AD year II and the Pack looking stronger than last year, even if they'll miss Favre. The bears are the only team I can see us beat twice in our division, and even that's more wishful thinking than actual conviction.

This draft, I expect (and hope) to see this

1. Mendenhall
2. MLB (Mayo if available)
3. CB & OL
4. TE (kellen davis if he's there)
5-7 hopefully a sleeper DE, but knowing Millen they'll get cut anyway.

Then in the '09 draft, it's DE and OT or bust.

ThEvIcTR
03-22-2008, 08:18 PM
I cant believe everyone here wants to draft mendenhall with the 15 pick. We need to be drafting offensive line help, we will never improve unless we improve in the trenches first. Mendenhall is a good player but he is still very raw. Why not wait until the third round and draft Ray Rice? The only difference is that mendenhall might be a step faster but rice is way better between the tackles.

How many more picks are we gonna waste on offensive skill positions before we learn that THE GAME IS WON UP FRONT.

Geo
03-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Chris Williams and Jeff Otah could very well be gone by the 15th overall pick. Gosder Cherilus is an excellent RT prospect and Brandon Albert has a great deal of promise, but with the 15th overall pick? I don't think so, BPA is Mendenhall (or Stewart) and he fits a big need for the Lions.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-23-2008, 01:45 PM
The wildcards in all of this are Jonathan Scott, Ramirez and Peterman. Scott has shown flashes but needs to stay healthy, Ramirez is freakisly strong but needs some development which he at least has 1 year of development and Marinelli is high on Peterman. If these guys finally fulfill their potential our O-line can at least become adequate. Losing Martz also does help this group. We'll either find out if Martz abandoned the run because of his own stubborness or if there was a reason he abandoned the run(lack of trust in our O-line, KJ's health. I think KJ's health was a big factor last year. He was healthy enough to play but he was a different back on day to day basis because of the Lisfranc injury.

The other thing with Oline is consistency. They have to figure out how to work together. When you are adding something new every year or adding a new system, there is bound to be problems.

It seems like mid 1st round O-line are just as hit or miss as 2nd and 3rd round O-line. Only the top guys like Joe Thomas, Orlando Pace, Ogden,Walter Jones seem to be sure things. The Lions had 3 1st round O-linemen on our roster last season. Backus,Woody and Foster were all 1st rounders and all mid to late 1st rounders. The question is will Chris Williams/Otah really address the O-line. The answer is probably not as rookies. Maybe in the future but to think they will be a Joe Thomas is highly unlikely.

Brothgar
03-23-2008, 03:22 PM
The wildcards in all of this are Jonathan Scott, Ramirez and Peterman. Scott has shown flashes but needs to stay healthy, Ramirez is freakisly strong but needs some development which he at least has 1 year of development and Marinelli is high on Peterman. If these guys finally fulfill their potential our O-line can at least become adequate. Losing Martz also does help this group. We'll either find out if Martz abandoned the run because of his own stubborness or if there was a reason he abandoned the run(lack of trust in our O-line, KJ's health. I think KJ's health was a big factor last year. He was healthy enough to play but he was a different back on day to day basis because of the Lisfranc injury.

The other thing with Oline is consistency. They have to figure out how to work together. When you are adding something new every year or adding a new system, there is bound to be problems.

It seems like mid 1st round O-line are just as hit or miss as 2nd and 3rd round O-line. Only the top guys like Joe Thomas, Orlando Pace, Ogden,Walter Jones seem to be sure things. The Lions had 3 1st round O-linemen on our roster last season. Backus,Woody and Foster were all 1st rounders and all mid to late 1st rounders. The question is will Chris Williams/Otah really address the O-line. The answer is probably not as rookies. Maybe in the future but to think they will be a Joe Thomas is highly unlikely.
Brandon Albert? Hmm??? If anyone he will make th quickest impact. on the O Line best guard in the draft in a long time and I really don't trust Millen's OL talent evaluating skills (Stocker McDougal anyone?)

detknowitall
03-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Chris Williams and Jeff Otah could very well be gone by the 15th overall pick. Gosder Cherilus is an excellent RT prospect and Brandon Albert has a great deal of promise, but with the 15th overall pick? I don't think so, BPA is Mendenhall (or Stewart) and he fits a big need for the Lions.

If Otah, and Williams are gone I'd rather gran a CB.

Scotty D
03-23-2008, 07:18 PM

Only corner I would draft in the first round is Talib.

TacticaLion
03-23-2008, 08:14 PM

Wow... we've got holes at MLB, DE and RB and our CB group actually looks solid. I don't want to start another year with Lenon at MLB and Bell can't be the RB we rely on in 2008.

We could easily draft a solid CB in rounds 2-3, but, to expect a rookie to step in and start (or split carries) at MLB or RB, we've gotta spend at LEAST a 2nd round pick on the position.

Considering how the CB position is a lesser-important position in the Cover 2, and DE and MLB are priorities, I'd rather use the picks elsewhere.

awfullyquiet
03-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Why not wait until the third round and draft Ray Rice? The only difference is that mendenhall might be a step faster but rice is way better between the tackles.

I like this idea.

Overpaying Mendenhall for a RB isn't necessary when your O-Line can't block...
you can clearly draft late and plug and play platoon with a ray rice (who i'm not sold on, but with bell may become a decent tandem to keep kitna vertical). drafting tackles may be difficult with the 15... looking at the draft, by 14 with the bears taking tackle, there might not be any left except for cherilus who projects as a great franchise right tackle (same with otah), i'd rather pay for the trenches and then the running back.

consider this analogy. if you don't have a road, you can't go that fast in your ferrari enzo. sure as hell you won't take it off-road.

this is why green bay has been able to take a ryan grant, an udfa, and turn him into a machine. this is why the giants have turned ahmad bradshaw into a beast, this is why chester taylor and adrian peterson had the strongest running attack last year. because they all have invested heavily into line talent.

i don't think the lions (or millen) can make something that terrific yet. but to have a middling/mediocre line is reachable this year. i do believe that the lions will be able to run this year, and stretch the field (duh). two picks offense. the rest defense. tackles, ends, linebackers. the front seven needs a complete overhaul. some have dorsey dropping to 15 due to injury. if that did happen, i would not be surprised in the least if the lions would be like offensive line? running game? screw it. glenn dorsey! my new girlfriend! heck. if the baggles pick up dorsey, and ellis falls. it's still be a good day for the lions.

detknowitall
03-23-2008, 11:05 PM
Wow... we've got holes at MLB, DE and RB and our CB group actually looks solid. I don't want to start another year with Lenon at MLB and Bell can't be the RB we rely on in 2008.

We could easily draft a solid CB in rounds 2-3, but, to expect a rookie to step in and start (or split carries) at MLB or RB, we've gotta spend at LEAST a 2nd round pick on the position.

Considering how the CB position is a lesser-important position in the Cover 2, and DE and MLB are priorities, I'd rather use the picks elsewhere.

How can you say that CB is solid?? Leigh Bodden is maybe above average. After that you dont have much. Although I like Stanley Wilson we could do much better. And when you look at RB Bell is good enough for 2008, and actually I'd like to see what Calhoun can do. MLB is a position that is needed but I dont see anyone worth drafting at #15. DE I could see at #15 but just think that the better value is going to be at CB when the draft unfolds. And while its true that DE is a larger priority in cover 2 you still need a CB. And seeing as how we were horrible at secondary a year ago I just dont see how adding Bodden, and cutting Bryant made it that much better? Please dont say that re-signing Fisher will make all the difference in the world. CB is still one of if not the biggest need position. You could argue DE is a bigger need and I may agree, but in my opinion we still need a CB early in the draft.

Addict
03-24-2008, 05:20 AM
How can you say that CB is solid?? Leigh Bodden is maybe above average. After that you dont have much. Although I like Stanley Wilson we could do much better. And when you look at RB Bell is good enough for 2008, and actually I'd like to see what Calhoun can do. MLB is a position that is needed but I dont see anyone worth drafting at #15. DE I could see at #15 but just think that the better value is going to be at CB when the draft unfolds. And while its true that DE is a larger priority in cover 2 you still need a CB. And seeing as how we were horrible at secondary a year ago I just dont see how adding Bodden, and cutting Bryant made it that much better? Please dont say that re-signing Fisher will make all the difference in the world. CB is still one of if not the biggest need position. You could argue DE is a bigger need and I may agree, but in my opinion we still need a CB early in the draft.

nobody's saying we don't need corner help, it's just not a day one priority

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Brandon Albert? Hmm??? If anyone he will make th quickest impact. on the O Line best guard in the draft in a long time and I really don't trust Millen's OL talent evaluating skills (Stocker McDougal anyone?)

Millen didn't draft McDougle or Aaron Gibson or Juan Roque. Our poor drafting woes started way before Millen. 1997-2000 drafts were just as terrible as some of Millens drafts maybe even worse. Its a bigger reason why we were 2-14,3-13 on top of Millen taking over. I really don't know how that 2000 team was 9-7. If you look at the roster it was just as terrible as the 2001 team.

I don't think a guard at 15 will make that great of an impact. Guards are typically not a first round pick and Albert would be a reach at 15. I think the pick should be defense. Our defense is in much worse shape than our offense and mid 1st round OTs are not sure things. Chris Williams/Otah may be great players, and they may be off the board. However, defense is much more of a need seeing how we have gone offense 8 out of the last 9 first round picks.

awfullyquiet
03-24-2008, 08:32 AM
How can you say that CB is solid?? Leigh Bodden is maybe above average.

You say maybe 'above average' like its a bad thing.

Sure, Bodden won't be confused with pacman jones, but he is around the middle of the pack (which isn't a bad thing, the middle of the pack is still very nfl playable. look at jordan babineaux). and it is cover two. you can find day 1.5 talent to round out the bunch.

woodnick
03-24-2008, 11:01 AM
I think the Lions should zone in on an OT outside of Long, it'd cost a lot to get that high, that they want and go get him. If Clady it there at #11 trade up for him. This year's draft is stocked with OT talent and next years looks kind of thin outside of Oher so why not grab that OT and get a Rice or Forte in rd 3 and spend the rest of our draft on D. Call me crazy but it's looking like neither Connor or Mayo will be there in rd 2 so I wouldn't mind waiting another yr. looking for a MLB if we can adress other deeper positions in this draft and then getting a Lauranitis/Maulanga in the 1st next year. If either one of those 2 came out they'd both be the top LBs drafted this year.

We're Detroit, it's going to be a multiple year plan to get to a playoff caliber team so lets try to develope one and follow it. The problem though is that Millen is the one imploring a plan and he loves to f*** us as a franchise.

ESimsfan87
03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Well I'm calling you crazy because we're not really giving Rod Marinelli a fair shake if we never address one of the bigger positional needs in his d. Imagine being on the job for three years and not being able to have something so big as a computer at your job. It wouldn't be fair. I really think Mayo could be there in the second and even if he's not you go Curtis Lofton, who I can't really see getting picked all that early. If you want to target that lineman you speak of, its probably going to be Gosder Cherlius from BC, who can play RT. Personally, when I look at offensive lineman, the number one thing I want to see was who ran behind them and whether they had success. OSU's Kirk Barton is a later round alternative that I think would be a huge get later on. I think that he may not be a surefire starter from week one but he would let Jon Scott start for a few weeks while he learns the zbs.

woodnick
03-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Well I'm calling you crazy because we're not really giving Rod Marinelli a fair shake if we never address one of the bigger positional needs in his d. Imagine being on the job for three years and not being able to have something so big as a computer at your job. It wouldn't be fair. I really think Mayo could be there in the second and even if he's not you go Curtis Lofton, who I can't really see getting picked all that early. If you want to target that lineman you speak of, its probably going to be Gosder Cherlius from BC, who can play RT. Personally, when I look at offensive lineman, the number one thing I want to see was who ran behind them and whether they had success. OSU's Kirk Barton is a later round alternative that I think would be a huge get later on. I think that he may not be a surefire starter from week one but he would let Jon Scott start for a few weeks while he learns the zbs.

I understand your logic and agree with you to an extent, but IMO a player like Lofton isn't worth drafting for the sake of filling in a position of need. I'm a very big advocate of drafting a MLB because I know how essential it is to the D but filling a hole just to fill a hole is why we are currently starting Paris there, we need talent and next year's crop looks a lot more talented than this years. With all of our needs there isn't a very likely scenario that we'll be able to effectively fill every hole we have with talent so why not stretch it out and look at which class offers talent at specific positions.

This year's draft class is rich with OTs so an OT in Rd2 wouldn't be the end of the world especially if we traded down in rd1 for a guy like Mayo or Connor but by the 3rd round the top 2 tiers of the OTs will probably be gone. As for looking into later rounds for lineman some teams are great at doing that, but unfortunately Millen and the Lions haven't been. IMO looking at how the RB did is a very interesting strategy for evaluating talent and might be effective but flawed, who were Barry Sanders' offensive lineman in college? To my knowledge there wasn't one of his OL that made it to the NFL let alone have a successful career. IMO it's better to look at the individuals game work not his running backs. Michigan's running backs didn't do nearly as well as Beanie Wells this past year but i'd much rather have Jake Long compared to Barton.

woodnick
03-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Giving Maranelli a fair shake would be to draft a top DE for him. DE is the position that Rod always says is the key to his defense so why not a pass rusher like Harvey?

Geo
03-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Dewayne White looked good at times last year, didn't he? Did he deal with injury in the second half of the season?

ESimsfan87
03-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Giving Maranelli a fair shake would be to draft a top DE for him. DE is the position that Rod always says is the key to his defense so why not a pass rusher like Harvey?

You know what we just have so many holes...I was just thinking I'm getting more of the act that is Paris Lenon as opposed to letting IAF get a crack at a starting gig. But its just bad to say the least.

ESimsfan87
03-24-2008, 02:44 PM
lol in mid sentence it was supposed to say more disgusted of the act that is Paris Lenon... Kinda got ahead of myself.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Dewayne White looked good at times last year, didn't he? Did he deal with injury in the second half of the season?

White was inconsistent and he basically disappeared in the second half of the season, partly due to injury but party due to him just disappearing/playing better O-lines. White disappeared in 06 in Tampa in the second half of the season too and he wasn't injured.

White had 6.5 sacks. 3 sacks came in one game against Tampa with Donald Penn as the LT, White had a good game against Oakland and White was good against Denver and decent the remaining first half games. Second half he was a non-factor.

DeVries had 6.5 sacks as well. 3 came in one game against Chicago vs Fred Miller.

Shaun Rogers and his 7 sacks have been traded. And Redding disappointed with 1 sack suprise suprise after he got a big contract. Redding had a lot of tackles for loss though so it wasn't a total loss but he too was inconsistent.

I think we need a DE more than people think. If Marinelli could work D-line miracles Kalimba Edwards would have been good by now.

woodnick
03-24-2008, 03:44 PM
You know what we just have so many holes...I was just thinking I'm getting more of the act that is Paris Lenon as opposed to letting IAF get a crack at a starting gig. But its just bad to say the least.

Thats understandable and I hear ya but I think a pure edge rusher would be a great rotation with IAF and maybe we could slide IAF inside on passing downs like the Giants did with Tuck last year

woodnick
03-24-2008, 03:47 PM
White was inconsistent and he basically disappeared in the second half of the season, partly due to injury but party due to him just disappearing/playing better O-lines. White disappeared in 06 in Tampa in the second half of the season too and he wasn't injured.

White had 6.5 sacks. 3 sacks came in one game against Tampa with Donald Penn as the LT, White had a good game against Oakland and White was good against Denver and decent the remaining first half games. Second half he was a non-factor.

DeVries had 6.5 sacks as well. 3 came in one game against Chicago vs Fred Miller.

Shaun Rogers and his 7 sacks have been traded. And Redding disappointed with 1 sack suprise suprise after he got a big contract. Redding had a lot of tackles for loss though so it wasn't a total loss but he too was inconsistent.

I think we need a DE more than people think. If Marinelli could work D-line miracles Kalimba Edwards would have been good by now.

Even if White was a beast, which he will never be mistaken for, another DE would be great to groom/rotate with White and co. I wouldn't mind an undersized guy that's an edge rusher and make him situational.

detknowitall
03-24-2008, 10:53 PM
You say maybe 'above average' like its a bad thing.

Sure, Bodden won't be confused with pacman jones, but he is around the middle of the pack (which isn't a bad thing, the middle of the pack is still very nfl playable. look at jordan babineaux). and it is cover two. you can find day 1.5 talent to round out the bunch.

Its not a bad thing that he's above average, but the issue lies that from what I saw last year between Keith Smith, and Travis Fisher, and Stanley Wilson...I dont think Bodden will make the entire secondary good. Bottom line is we need OL or CB in the first more than we need a RB. I'd really like to see what Calhoun can do on the field. We havent really seen much of him, and while I'd rather have KJ and Calhoun, or Duckett back. I think Bell and Calhoun are serviceable for 1 year at least while we see what happens.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Its not a bad thing that he's above average, but the issue lies that from what I saw last year between Keith Smith, and Travis Fisher, and Stanley Wilson...I dont think Bodden will make the entire secondary good. Bottom line is we need OL or CB in the first more than we need a RB. I'd really like to see what Calhoun can do on the field. We havent really seen much of him, and while I'd rather have KJ and Calhoun, or Duckett back. I think Bell and Calhoun are serviceable for 1 year at least while we see what happens.

Brian Kelly is the key to our secondary. He shifts everyone down one spot. Travis Fisher as a nickel I really don't have a problem with him as the nickel. He has Cover 2 experience which a rookie wouldn't have giving Fisher the edge to play more. Wilson and Keith Smith are still relatively inexperienced and both got a good amount of playing time last year to learn the system. As a 4th corner, I don't mind Keith Smith and I think Smith can even compete with Fisher for the nickel position. Smith can cover he just can't tackle. Wilson was terrible last year and then injured. Even when the Lions were playing well, Wilson was playing terrible and got benched but Wilson showed flashes in 2006 so they haven't given up on him. And Bodden is a definite upgrade over Bryant. Bodden is more physical and has better cover skills than Bryant even though Bryant played decently in the 1st half of the season. I think the secondary has been upgraded enough to not worry about it on Day 1 in the draft. With Alexander in year 2, Bullocks coming back and Smith having better ball skills than Kennoy, our secondary is upgraded enough and a little deeper than last year.

The important thing is a pass rush. Even with our dreadful secondary last year, we were still leading the league in ints half way through the season because we had a pass rush.

detroit4life
03-25-2008, 12:20 PM
shaub rogers was a big part of that pass rush and we need to make an addition to the Dline either DT or DE so that we can continue to have a solid pass rush